PDA

View Full Version : Britain win 4*100m gold, but...

swissroll
13-08-2006, 02:12 PM
A drug cheat was part of the team and Darren Campbell refused to celebrate and walked off.

AJ
13-08-2006, 02:21 PM
to be honest, I reckon' all of them are taking something.....

Eaglesmad123
13-08-2006, 02:35 PM
I think it has to do with Linford Christie and the double standards by the Athletics board and comments made by Paula Radcliff.

chelmsfordeagle
14-08-2006, 06:14 AM
I think Campbell didn't want Chambers to be part of the team. Christie is (or was) Campbell's coach so I doubt he had the hump about that.

Radcliffe is the leading voice in the anti drugs campaign for athletics. She was fined a few years ago for holding a banner up about a russian (or romanian) athlete who got off on a technicality and then won the 5000m. She also promotes all athletes having their samples frozen and then tested everytime improvements are made in drug testing.

Son of Ron
14-08-2006, 06:56 AM
if Campbell felt so strongly about it why did he run in the same team as 'a drugs cheat' ?

biggus mickus
14-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Son of Ron
if Campbell felt so strongly about it why did he run in the same team as 'a drugs cheat' ?

Agreed.

jazman
14-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I think he has made himself look quite an idiot to be honest. Taking such a stance when his coach failed a drugs test :rolleyes:

weh8millwall
14-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Son of Ron

Doing his job.

DANCOO
14-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by swissroll
A drug cheat was part of the team and Darren Campbell refused to celebrate and walked off.

Well, he cheated, he got caught, and he served out his ban.

Those are the rules which every athlete participates under. If you get caught cheating, you may be banned for two years, after which you are able to start competing again.

I'm sure there are plenty of athletes who compete with this in mind.
Chambers got caught, and is now following the guidelines for him being able to start competing again. If Campbell has a problem, then it should be with the rules, not the athlete...I think.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by DANCOO
If Campbell has a problem, then it should be with the rules, not the athlete...I think.

If you had a gold medal and it was sitting on your mantle piece, then one day someone comes and takes it away because someone else cheated how would you feel?

DANCOO
14-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
If you had a gold medal and it was sitting on your mantle piece, then one day someone comes and takes it away because someone else cheated how would you feel?

Fair enough on that count, but the rules are allowing him to continue to participate.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by DANCOO
Fair enough on that count, but the rules are allowing him to continue to participate.

They are and he is back competing, Campbell doesn't have to like it though!

How about putting it another way, he was caught 3 years ago, he had been beating Campbell in domestic championships for a while - how many of them were 'assisted'. Campbell could have looked back on his career and said i was the best of my generation at what i did in this country. Was that taken away by ability or drugs?

DANCOO
14-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
They are and he is back competing, Campbell doesn't have to like it though!

How about putting it another way, he was caught 3 years ago, he had been beating Campbell in domestic championships for a while - how many of them were 'assisted'. Campbell could have looked back on his career and said i was the best of my generation at what i did in this country. Was that taken away by ability or drugs?

You miss my point.

Yes Campbell has every right to be royally pissed off at Chambers, but regarding what happened at the Europeans, it's the IAAF (or the UK equivelant*), that he should be aiming his anger at.

*Not that there IS a UK equivelant to a world governing body, but you get my point?

elliott
14-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Anyone else reckon MLF is hiding something.

Both Devonish and Campbell blanked him completely, and the looks on his face after the race suggested he might have something to hide!

(Oh well... hope I don't get sued)

swissroll
15-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Dont forget that Campbell finished second in the Olympics only to find out later that the Greek winner (Kenteris?) was a drugs cheat too. They didnt strip that guy of his medal and give it to Campbell tho. No wonder hes going to look back on his career with some bitterness.

yourname00
15-08-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't exactly like Campbell but I can understand his point, I don't think he's saying Chambers shouldn't be running (after all I think Campbell defended Chambers when he got banned), but he isn't going to celebrate with him when he lost medals because of him.

GreatGonzo
15-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by swissroll
Dont forget that Campbell finished second in the Olympics only to find out later that the Greek winner (Kenteris?) was a drugs cheat too. They didnt strip that guy of his medal and give it to Campbell tho. No wonder hes going to look back on his career with some bitterness.

Exactly, he has to do his job (possibly the only thing he is qualified to do) and that is to run (which he gets paid for) he doesn't have to do laps of honour he doesn't have to celebrate. I feel very sorry for Campbell, his career, his life have been affected by other people taking drugs.

How much difference in his post athletics career between 'GB athlete' Darren Campbell and 'Olympic GOLD medalist' Darren Campbell. I would suggest quite a lot.

JamieBcpfc
15-08-2006, 11:43 AM
He is an Olympic Gold Medallist already though

Eaglesmad123
15-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by chelmsfordeagle
I think Campbell didn't want Chambers to be part of the team. Christie is (or was) Campbell's coach so I doubt he had the hump about that.

Radcliffe is the leading voice in the anti drugs campaign for athletics. She was fined a few years ago for holding a banner up about a russian (or romanian) athlete who got off on a technicality and then won the 5000m. She also promotes all athletes having their samples frozen and then tested everytime improvements are made in drug testing.

Radcliff was very critical in an article she wrote about Christie being a mentor to young athlietes in the team because he was a drugs cheat.

Cambell was annoyed at this particulary as she was happy to welcome chambers a fellow drugs cheat back into the team

GreatGonzo
15-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by JamieBcpfc
He is an Olympic Gold Medallist already though

True but relays do not carry the same appeal.

cpfc greenhithe
16-08-2006, 01:06 AM
Well done Campbell. You work hard all your life to his level. It shames sport and it shames the country to have cheats in the team.

MUNKYNUFF
16-08-2006, 09:59 AM
I really respect Darren Campbell for this. To me it shows how important it is for him to win and represent his counrty(by racing), but by not celebrating he is showing aware of the race, being haunted by drugs cheats (possibly past and present). He wants to distance himself from that side of the sport. He is perfectly entitled not to celebrate and I respect him for showing respect to the sport.
I think it's similar (although more controversial and seemingly more negative) to AJ not celebrating his goal at Birmingham.

To me, its about showing respect to your sport something which is rarely seen these days.