PDA

View Full Version : Charlton respond to latest Jordan outburst

Addick1
15-08-2006, 10:59 AM
http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=29462

selhurstparkflyer
15-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Charlton and its directors are fukked in this case...and they know it too.

When Dowie gets done, they will also get done for tapping. Which will not only make me laugh vey loud but also will be wholly justified.

You get our reject, we get yoir first choice of manager. We get a million quid and you get charged by the FA. What's more the useless amnager is more than likely to get you lot relegated this season.

No wonder Charlton's directors are worried.

Jordan's Jacket
15-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Let's see what the Charlton heirarchy feel about Dowie in a few months time. I think Dowie may have lied in the interview "I'm a well respected coach, with great tactical awareness. I have picked up a number of bargain bodies in the transfer market and put together a well-knit squad which played with it's heart to a well thought out plan". Let's see who is then calling who a liar then...

Popester
15-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I will laugh so hard if they are order to pay us damages, and then the FA both fines them and docks them points for tapping up ID.

Harry Holmesdale
15-08-2006, 11:16 AM
What happens if Jordan is found out to be a mug though ?

I really really hope Jordan has some watertight evidence and we win any court case outright otherwise it makes us look petty imo

Farnboro' Eagle
15-08-2006, 11:20 AM
why do Charlton need to respond? If they are so confident that everything is legal why don't they just keep their mouths shut and avoid getting involved in a tit for tat war? Seems bloody stupid to me if there is nothing to it.

Pub Idol
15-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Farnboro' Eagle
why do Charlton need to respond? If they are so confident that everything is legal why don't they just keep their mouths shut and avoid getting involved in a tit for tat war? Seems bloody stupid to me if there is nothing to it.

They tapped him up. Everyone knows it. Cant believe Dowie/Charlton have the audacity to go to Court about it. They should just pay us the compensation we deserve an then it will
be all over.

Addick1
15-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by selhurstparkflyer
Charlton and its directors are fukked in this case...and they know it too.

When Dowie gets done, they will also get done for tapping. Which will not only make me laugh vey loud but also will be wholly justified.

You get our reject, we get yoir first choice of manager. We get a million quid and you get charged by the FA. What's more the useless amnager is more than likely to get you lot relegated this season.

Well done SPF, i think you will find in a couple of months time that of the ten points you made in that small post, you will be proved inaccurate on nine of them. That would surely be some record !!

BTW, the only one that is accurate is that we got a manager you didn't want.

GreatGonzo
15-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Addick1 - what is the general view of Charlton fans over the High Court battle? Do you have full confidence that Charlton have nothing to worry about, are Charlton fans concerned or do you have no idea?

Addick1
15-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Pub Idol
They tapped him up. Everyone knows it. Cant believe Dowie/Charlton have the audacity to go to Court about it. They should just pay us the compensation we deserve an then it will
be all over.

you wanted him out, without paying compensation. Everybody knows it. Can't believe Jordan/Palace have the audacity to go to Court over it.

Farnboro' Eagle
15-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Addick1
Well done SPF, i think you will find in a couple of months time that of the ten points you made in that small post, you will be proved inaccurate on nine of them. That would surely be some record !!

Well done Addick1, you've come out with your generic response again :S: :S:

Pub Idol
15-08-2006, 11:33 AM
you wanted him out, without paying compensation. Everybody knows it. Can't believe Jordan/Palace have the audacity to go to Court over it.

Not really. Many where fed up with Dowie ( Probably Jordan included) but had he wanted to remain then I'm sure he would still be here. Allbeit in hindsight most uf us are now glad he has gone.

Addick1
15-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Addick1 - what is the general view of Charlton fans over the High Court battle? Do you have full confidence that Charlton have nothing to worry about, are Charlton fans concerned or do you have no idea?

Unless factual evidence is revealed by Jordan in court, then we can see very little to be worried about. To us, Jordan appears to be a kid that put a toy that he didn't want in the bin, only to find a week later it was taken from the bin and now he wants money for it. The split suited both parties, the original moving north argument appeared to me a soft measure by a chairman not wanting to scare off potential new managers that he was too hard a man to work with.

As he ended up at Charlton, he saw a potential avenue to possibly get a few quid, but more importantly get one over Richard Murray. If Dowie had gone to West Ham, or Fulham, none of this would of happened.

lanepe
15-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Well, I think Addick1 has a point.

I mean, what proof have any of you got that Dowie was tapped up by Charlton? None.

I am also slightly concerned about the litigation in that it may turn out that Jordan has no evidence to support his contentions. Which would also be a good reason why Jordan keeps resorting to giving his version to the press all the time.

arussell
15-08-2006, 11:35 AM

What I can't believe is that the chief Clown (Murray) is dragging his club through the whole thing, when Jordan's beef all along was aimed at Dowie.

Phil O'Sophical
15-08-2006, 11:36 AM

They've worded their response very carefully. While the legal agreement is almost certainly watertight what is at issue is what Dowie said to obtain it and they haven't covered that at all. I cannot believe that SJ would continue to make these statements if he wasn't very sure of his ground.

Phil O'Sophical
15-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by arussell
What I can't believe is that the chief Clown (Murray) is dragging his club through the whole thing, when Jordan's beef all along was aimed at Dowie.

Because it'll either cost them Dowie (still under contract to Palace) or a million quid (compensation) if he loses.

Palaceman95
15-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical
Because it'll either cost them Dowie (still under contract to Palace) or a million quid (compensation) if he loses.

I think I know which one id rather have :p

selhurstparkflyer
15-08-2006, 11:41 AM
There's tons of proof Dowie was tapped. It will come out in Court and Addick1 will be made to look very silly.

I can't wait.

Raoul Duke
15-08-2006, 11:41 AM
All these public claims and counter claims are getting tedious. These matters are decided by courts and not by public oppinion.

Addick1
15-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Of course, if it was actually true that the only reason that Jordan was prepared to allow Dowie to leave was because he wanted to return North, then some proviso reflecting that should of been wrote into the Compromise Agreement by Jordan.

People sign agreements all the time in business not allowing them to work in the same field, or with certain rival firms for a period of time, its not a new thing. If that was the real contentious point, it should of been referred to in some way in writing.

Aaroncpfc
To be honest I can't be arsed to read Charlton's respones. Not because there likely to be full of shite but in the future we should win this 'feud'. We got the manager they wanted, they got a manager we let go. Our side is full of potential and confidence and should return to The Premiership in the next two seasons, Charlton's side isn't that strong for Premiership level and could be relegated within the next two seasons.

The ideal scenario would be AJ scoring a last minute winner to relegate Charlton and all the Palace fans doing the konga outside The Valley, but i'll be happy with just seeing Simon Jordan say "I told you so" in the paper.

Justy C

Exactly.

At worst I think Charlton said to Dowie "when you leave Palace, lets talk". Perhaps they are worried about that?

Melfort Eagle
15-08-2006, 11:46 AM
I love the pictures they have shown in the article

http://www.cafc.co.uk/uploads/charlton29462news2.jpg

http://www.cafc.co.uk/uploads/charlton29462news1.jpg

GreatGonzo
15-08-2006, 11:48 AM
There were comments on this board about Dowie being seen at The Valley and with Murray BEFORE he left Palace. Rumour maybe or is it no smoke without fire?

Addick1, i would be worried if i were you, SJ actions over this are his natural way, he is brash and says a lot of things. Murray seems to have had a personality transplant coming out in public and saying things.

Most Palace fans are very confident the evidence is there (ID has even admitted he said he wanted to go North) and his defence statements as leaked in the Substandrd amount to mud slinging and nothing more.

You also seem to be very confident you have a good manager, well your pre-season has looked rather poor to me and since Dowie left we have a 100% record in competitive games and an unbeaten record in all even after losing and England international.

lanepe
15-08-2006, 11:48 AM
There's tons of proof Dowie was tapped. It will come out in Court and Addick1 will be made to look very silly.

I can't wait.

Well where is it? No one else has seen it.

Or is it the case that you 'assume' there is loads of proof because Jordan has issued proceedings? If so you could well be wrong.

Lords Eagle
15-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Why do they need to respond at all, the attack was on Dowie, not Charlton.

Justin
15-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Charlton had arranged the Dowie interview before he left Palace. Where I think Charlton may claim innoence is that believed they were doing this because Dowie had said he would be leaving by mutual consent and there was nothing in the agreement to say he had to go north.

This is where I think Dowie has come unstuck - especially as there are an awful lot of people who knew about the interview even before the Palace press conference took place. Not being a lawyer I would not know what carries more weight - the compromise agreement or the fact that Jordan claims the reasons for it were bogus - or whatever the precise legal term is.

It is a fact though that Charlton did not want Taylor - I am afarid Spuff that is just wrong and I said as much on here when he was odds on favourite for the job. Interestingly Dowie was not the first choice either but events conspired against Charlton to get their number one. I am guessing but do wonder if Charlton might use this is some way to prove that they had no long term plan to attract Dowie but instead acted quickly once numbero uno was no longer in reach.

I imagine the reason that Charlton are defending Dowie is two fold. One he is a senior employee. Secondly if Jordan wins this case then I should imagine Charlton football club would be next in line for some sort of writ and/or FA investigation.

eagle mart
15-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Charlton never tapped up Dowie, that is for sure. However I cannot be so sure the other way round.

Johnson
15-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Justin
Charlton had arranged the Dowie interview before he left Palace. Where I think Charlton may claim innoence is that believed they were doing this because Dowie had said he would be leaving by mutual consent and there was nothing in the agreement to say he had to go north.

This is where I think Dowie has come unstuck - especially as there are an awful lot of people who knew about the interview even before the Palace press conference took place. Not being a lawyer I would not know what carries more weight - the compromise agreement or the fact that Jordan claims the reasons for it were bogus - or whatever the precise legal term is.

It is a fact though that Charlton did not want Taylor - I am afarid Spuff that is just wrong and I said as much on here when he was odds on favourite for the job. Interestingly Dowie was not the first choice either but events conspired against Charlton to get their number one. I am guessing but do wonder if Charlton might use this is some way to prove that they had no long term plan to attract Dowie but instead acted quickly once numbero uno was no longer in reach.

I imagine the reason that Charlton are defending Dowie is two fold. One he is a senior employee. Secondly if Jordan wins this case then I should imagine Charlton football club would be next in line for some sort of writ and/or FA investigation.

Who was the Clowns number 1 choice, if you can say ?

eagle mart
15-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Oh, and why has Charlton even responded so publically? Release an official statement where Charlton FC was not even mentioned. The only people who brought Charlton into this was Charlton.

There is no binding contract that Dowie had at 'home' otherwise their solicitors wouldn't start their case around Jordan wanted Dowie out originally and to generally discredit him.

eagle mart
15-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Secondly if Jordan wins this case then I should imagine Charlton football club would be next in line for some sort of writ and/or FA investigation.

That will definately not happen, in everyones interest.

Son of Ron
15-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Who cares ? I've got no particular grudge against Dowie - he engineered a better paid job at a 'bigger', higher profile organisation. Which of us wouldn't do the same given the chance. Quite why Charlton wanted him after last season's efforts (perhaps he was tapped up some months ago) is another matter.

However, we've now got a better, more experienced manager who's showed more guile in the transfer market in 6 weeks than both Dowie's showed in 2.5 seasons, and hence we've got 9 points from our first 3 games when last season I think we had 1. Under Dowie, last season we would have drawn or lost at least 2 of the 3 games so far.

Lets move on. OK if we get a million quid great (although I suspect it will go in SJ's kitty, not PT's). But lets focus on the future not the past.

David
15-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Charlton really are a small time joke.

They should be concentrating on next season.

Dowie has already shown his genius in the transfer market.......Djimi Traore and Amdy Faye for 4million!:D :eek: :D

I will take much delight in seeing Charlton lose week after week.

It hasn't affected us 3 games and 3 wins. You on the other hand, well, we shall see.

Phil O'Sophical
15-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Of course, if it was actually true that the only reason that Jordan was prepared to allow Dowie to leave was because he wanted to return North, then some proviso reflecting that should of been wrote into the Compromise Agreement by Jordan.

People sign agreements all the time in business not allowing them to work in the same field, or with certain rival firms for a period of time, its not a new thing. If that was the real contentious point, it should of been referred to in some way in writing.

Which it wasn't, but Jordan did the next best thing and said, in public, at the Palace press conference that the move North was the basis of the understanding for allowing Dowie to leave without compensation. Dowie did not take the public opportunity to deny it.

Jordan then went on to say that he did not expect Dowie to turn up at Charlton as a result of his generosity.

As some of us concluded on another thread probably the only reason Jordan took the highly unusual step of calling a press conference to announce a manager's departure and ensured the manager was there, was because he knew exactly what was going to happen and sprung a very well thought out legal trap. Whether he has further proof to support all this we will see when it gets to court, but lawyers I have spoken to say the odds are well in Jordan's favour.

Celestial Empire
15-08-2006, 12:52 PM

But what happens if SJ wins, but in the meantime ID has done his thing, and Charlton want rid ? So they pay nothing, get rid of ID, and SJ is left with ID to sort. Kinda Pyrrhic victory, no ?
:eek:

GreatGonzo
15-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by David
It hasn't affected us 3 games and 3 wins. You on the other hand, well, we shall see.

Disagree i think it HAS affected us - 3 games 3 wins! ;) :D

waddoneagle
15-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Dowie being seen with Murray, Was on the Charlton forums first, This was before he had left us.:veryangry

Dave The Eagle
15-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Has the High Court date been set?

Sick Bucket
15-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
But what happens if SJ wins, but in the meantime ID has done his thing, and Charlton want rid ? So they pay nothing, get rid of ID, and SJ is left with ID to sort. Kinda Pyrrhic victory, no ?
:eek:

That's what I'm thinking, could it end up costing SJ? I think IF Charlton start badly and SJ wins his case Charlton would be best off letting Dowie go. Regardless of this I quite fancy putting a couple of quid on Dowie being the first Prem manager to be sacked.

arussell
15-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Charlton are preparing now to make another statement on their position

selhurstparkflyer
15-08-2006, 01:47 PM

That is bullshit...nothing needs be written at all. And if proof can be found (as it will be) that Dowie and Charlton had talks before the severance was agreed then, that alone will be evidence of tapping.

Addickted
15-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Just a couple of points I've heard that may blow Jordans case at the High Court out of the water.

Dowie did have another job lined up prior to his departure from Palace. Unfortunately for Jordan it was NOT Charlton.

Permission was not granted for Charlton to approach one of their favoured choices - he wasn't 'tapped up' as Murray is a principled man. Why on earth would he therefore 'tap up' Dowie, being fully aware of the possible repurcussions?

Jordan's programme notes at the weekend have have to a certain extent 'raised the bar' as he has now progressed from 'fraudulent misrepresentation' claims, to out and out calling Dowie a liar. I've been told that the High Court frown upon this type comment, particularly as it can be construed as subjudice.

Oh, and I'm led to believe some 'interesting' witnesses may be called to support Dowies position as being untenable at Palace.

Sussex Eagle
15-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Jesus, you really are a first-class arse and a know it all to boot aren't you? I could care less about the rest, but going out of your way to call Murray a 'principled man', as if just stating it meant anything :rolleyes:

Shef Sky Blue
15-08-2006, 03:00 PM
we half go on about the clowns,forget em !

Andrews69
15-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I guess with the fact that a million pounds is at stake it's kind of hard to just forget them!

gjtango
15-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Shef Sky Blue
we half go on about the clowns,forget em !

This is more about Dowie than Charlton.

Pub Idol
15-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Addickted
he wasn't 'tapped up' as Murray is a principled man. Why on earth would he therefore 'tap up' Dowie, being fully aware of the possible repurcussions?

:D

Yeah, that really blows the case out the window :rolleyes:

GreatGonzo
15-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Dowie did have another job lined up prior to his departure from Palace. Unfortunately for Jordan it was NOT Charlton.

Indeed a NORTHERN club so he could be closer to his family etc etc

The guy lied to get out of his job at Palace, whether his position was untenable is a very risky defense strategy. He has to prove Jordan wanted rid and THAT will be hard.

His job being tough, the chairmen cutting his budgets etc etc is not going to wash.

thereichstuff
15-08-2006, 03:17 PM
What i dont understand about all this is chorlton had a very regemented process to interview new applicants over a number of weeks if not months . Then within days of leaving palace dowie was unveiled to the media as new manager ? Now did he have a interview and if so how quick was that , considering the other interviews went on for a long time . It smells a bit fishy to me , any thoughts addickted ?

AJ
15-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Personally, I must prefer the current situation and I think it would do Taylor a huge service if Jordan declared that the current manager is a revelation, such that he is dropping his writ against Dowie as there is no way he would want him back at Palace....or words to that effect.

arussell
15-08-2006, 03:29 PM
If Murray was such a "principled man" (does that impress as much as the "stunning new kit" comment I wonder ? :D ) then why did he resort to calling the chairman of another club, sitting in his own director's box - "a tosser" ?!

I've heard Dowie was approached whilst he WAS still at Palace, and I think one or two football sources have even apparently confirmed that.

So in the end, we'll all believe what we'll want to - and a court will end up making a decision one way or the other.

eagle mart
15-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Charlton did not tap Dowie up. Whether out of principal or the fact that he wasn't first choice...

Although it is not the main issue, they will be playing a dangerous game in proving that he wasn't tapped up without coming clean about how and when contact was made. If Jordan's team were to force this issue their whole defence case could collapse.

Dowie said in the press that contact was made the day after, Murray said two days after - It's on tape. I'd take a informed guess ;) and suggest both of them are being economical with the truth. In which case Jordan can call him a liar in any publication he likes without fear, it makes you wonder what jordan has up his sleeve.

Tomo
15-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Just a couple of points I've heard that may blow Jordans case at the High Court out of the water.

Permission was not granted for Charlton to approach one of their favoured choices - he wasn't 'tapped up' as Murray is a principled man. Why on earth would he therefore 'tap up' Dowie, being fully aware of the possible repurcussions?

Jordan's programme notes at the weekend have have to a certain extent 'raised the bar' as he has now progressed from 'fraudulent misrepresentation' claims, to out and out calling Dowie a liar. I've been told that the High Court frown upon this type comment, particularly as it can be construed as subjudice.

Oh, and I'm led to believe some 'interesting' witnesses may be called to support Dowies position as being untenable at Palace.
Point 1. I don't think that will help Dowies case at all! The fact is he looked for another club under contract.

Point 2: That is all based on opinions.

Point 3: I tend to agree but if their is evidence that is as clear as Jordan claims then that not even be thought of.

Point 4: Time will tell.

Tomo
15-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by eagle mart
. If Jordan's team were to force this issue their whole defence case could collapse.

To be fair Dowie does have experience in collapsing the Palace Defence.

thereichstuff
15-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Your right eaglemart , as soon as i heard them comments about contact being made it seemed to me that murray made a big point of saying two days , shame he didnt tell dowie the same :p

jan
15-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Just goes to show you, we do have the number 1 programme, even Clownton top dogs read it.How else would they have known what was printed in it.:p :p

GreatGonzo
15-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by jan
Just goes to show you, we do have the number 1 programme, even Clownton top dogs read it.How else would they have known what was printed in it.:p :p

SJ sent a copy special delivery to Murray to wind him up? ;)

Justy C
15-08-2006, 03:54 PM
I've heard Dowie was approached whilst he WAS still at Palace, and I think one or two football sources have even apparently confirmed that.

I've heard that there was communication taking place whilst he was still Palace Manager, but it was Dowie that was instigating it via a 3rd party. Murray, the "man of principles" could well have been saying "leave first, then lets talk". That could be what Charlton are nervous of and that is certainly open to interpretation.

Addickted
15-08-2006, 03:55 PM
I can't deny that it smells a bit fishy - indeed, I was surprised by the speed of it all after the way the interviews had been carried out. The open advert in the Daily Mail seems to me to also be a red herring (no pun intended).

I spoke to Richard Murray at the end of the season and prior to the interview process commenced and although he was pretty open, I am after all just another fan. He confirmed to me that he would be interested in Dowie as Charlton manager as he admired his abilities, but without doubt he WAS NOT his first choice and he felt Dowie would not be interested in Charlton as he was keen to move back North.

If Murray wanted Dowie, he would have, WITHOUT A DOUBT, approached Jordan and paid any compensation due as he would have done for any other manager who was still employed by their club.

I'd be interested in what Justin knows as he is aware of some facts that I haven't been privy to!

eagle mart
15-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by jan

:moo:

David
15-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Why isn't this in general Palace discussion.

eagle mart
15-08-2006, 03:58 PM
JustyC - post of the thread.

Addickted
15-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by jan

One of our Directors is a regular reader of the BBS :eek:

Lords Eagle
15-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
Murray, the "man of principles" could well have been saying "leave first, then lets talk". That could be what Charlton are nervous of and that is certainly open to interpretation.

Or how about, "Not going to pay Palace 1m, find a way to get out of that and we'll talk"

Phil O'Sophical
15-08-2006, 04:06 PM

The world's biggest club message board (per Big Board)

west country boy
15-08-2006, 04:06 PM
The world's biggest club message board (per Big Board) I thought we'd been overtaken by Fenerbache or one of the other Turkish clubs?

smileysmith
15-08-2006, 04:07 PM
One of our Directors is a regular reader of the BBS :eek: Well I suppose he has to find out what football fans think and talk about somewhere ...

eagle mart
15-08-2006, 04:09 PM

Perhaps he could join up, post and put the record straight that Dowie and Murray had no contact prior to our press conference and thank us for helping Charlton by letting them ground share. Then we could all get on with our lives.

Justy C
15-08-2006, 04:11 PM

Cough, cough....is that you?

Phil O'Sophical
15-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by west country boy
I thought we'd been overtaken by Fenerbache or one of the other Turkish clubs?

There is a board called Antu Fenerbahce Forum that's above us and second overall but Big Boards just describes it as football message boards in Turkish. It doesn't indicate it's dedicated to just one club so I reckon we're the biggest single club board.

GreatGonzo
15-08-2006, 04:40 PM

And you STILL appointed Dowie! :eek:

Chester
15-08-2006, 04:42 PM

TIG?

thereichstuff
15-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Addickted , when you spoke to murray at the end of the season , how did he know dowie wanted to move up north ? . Was he assuming it was common knowledge or did he speak to him . Either way it plays right into simons hands doesnt it .

Justin
15-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I can't deny that it smells a bit fishy - indeed, I was surprised by the speed of it all after the way the interviews had been carried out. The open advert in the Daily Mail seems to me to also be a red herring (no pun intended).

I spoke to Richard Murray at the end of the season and prior to the interview process commenced and although he was pretty open, I am after all just another fan. He confirmed to me that he would be interested in Dowie as Charlton manager as he admired his abilities, but without doubt he WAS NOT his first choice and he felt Dowie would not be interested in Charlton as he was keen to move back North.

If Murray wanted Dowie, he would have, WITHOUT A DOUBT, approached Jordan and paid any compensation due as he would have done for any other manager who was still employed by their club.

I'd be interested in what Justin knows as he is aware of some facts that I haven't been privy to!

I have spoken to several people quite close to this and all their 'stories' are pretty similar.

I genuinely dont have a clue who would win the court case as I am no legal expert.

My thoughts are Charlton thought about approaching Palace a while back re Dowie but decided it wasnt worth the agro so struck him off their list.

Contact was made and so an interview was granted before Dowie had officially left Palace. I believe that interview took place a lot sooner than has been made out by Charlton.
l
I do think though that Charlton believed that Dowie and Palace had agreed to part so they felt that although technically speaking they could be accused of tapping Dowie up that this would not be an issue. Where I think this has fallen down is Dowie's interview was leaked and Jordan found out. Hence the press conference etc where Jordan stated very clearly the reasons for Dowies departure. I have no doubt that the compromise agreement makes no mention of the reason being to move up north but Jordan found out about Charlton and so was advised by laywers to pull the conference stroke. What has more weight in law I do not have a clue. I also believe Jordan wanted Dowie out as he underperformed last season.

Dowie was not number one choice but events elsewhere made Charlton appoint him. I think they were caught unawares by the interview leak. I also think that events elsehere left Charlton wanting to move quickly as they wanted a manger in place a long way before the start of the season.

My own 2 cents worth is that I think Charlton wanted to be honourable and indeed 2 other targets of theirs never progressed because of their desire to play by the rules. They then believed Dowie would be a free agent and so agreed to meet him. Jordan didnt want Dowie at the club anymore so agreed to let him leave and it also meant he saved the 5% on AJ's fee etc as well as any pay off. Where the lawyers will have to argue is whther the fact Dowie had an interview lined up is more important than the compromise agreement. I have no doubt Jordan can prove that it was lined up but is seeking further proof as well via certain records.

I have been very careful what I have written here and I have not betrayed any confidences. All I have written is stuff that has been said to me from more than one source. There is other stuff out there but I will not divulge that! Where it is my own opinion I hope I have made that clear as it could be bollox!

selhurstparkflyer
15-08-2006, 05:35 PM
I realise that Charlton is a shithouse of the highest order but what kind of club is going to offer a new manager a 3 year contract and his hands on millions of pounds of its money, within two days of talking to him?

And what kind of knob would sign a contract on that basis as well?

A bit fishy? Smells like Novello Noades' knickers if you ask me.

Anyway, who cares? Charlton has got itself one of the league's worst and most overrated managers. Good Riddance Iain, you and Charlton deserve each other.

thereichstuff
15-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Also if contact was made before the one or two days stated by dowie and murray then they are both liars ! Sue both of the fookers si :D

LONDONMAN
15-08-2006, 05:52 PM
It's interesting to see Charlton Athletic FC put so much effort into defending Iain Dowie.

After all, as pointed out by many others, Jordan's Writ is against Dowie NOT Charlton!

Whilst you can appreciate the need for Charlton to be seen to defend one of their employees. But far from being "highly principled", I would put it to Haddockted that your Club is run by a bunch of swindlers.

I noticed the way Charlton "ripped off" Croydon Ladies FC a few years back, taking most of the players without a penny compensation to Croydon FC or Ken Jarvey who ran the club. From having a high profile team, with several Cup and League Honours - Croydon were left with nothing, in a move that would have caused uproar at any level of men's football.

I watched many of Charlton's games at Selhurst (I usually did'nt have to pay, a I know Selhurst's Chief Steward!) and I never remember Charlton fans being harrased or prevented from selling Fanzines such as "Voice of The Valley" by any Palace fans or officials, that was in over 5 years of "sharing" our wonderful facilities at SP (OK, so the floodlights failed a couple of times, but you should have brought more change for the meters!).

On our last visit to the Valley, your Stewards made a bloody good job of making sure a couple of thousand leaflets advertisng a Palace supporters book "Hy on Palace" were not distributed and the distributor ejected from the ground before the match.

You can hardly call these sort of actions "highly principled" can you ?

Adlerhorst
15-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Charlton has got itself one of the league's worst and most overrated managers. Good Riddance Iain, you and Charlton deserve each other. That's harsh, I wouldn't wish Dowie on Brighton and i actually have a certain amount of negative feeling towards them. I feel mild indifference to Charlton so i actually feel a bit sorry for them for getting Dowie. Harmless little well run club and 2 years of Earthworm Jim could really feck it all up for them.

thereichstuff
15-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Also the way the man serving the writ was manhandled and jossled out of the press conference wasnt very principled was it :D

Dom the Eagle
15-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by LONDONMAN
It's interesting to see Charlton Athletic FC put so much effort into defending Iain Dowie.

After all, as pointed out by many others, Jordan's Writ is against Dowie NOT Charlton!

Whilst you can appreciate the need for Charlton to be seen to defend one of their employees. But far from being "highly principled", I would put it to Haddockted that your Club is run by a bunch of swindlers.

I noticed the way Charlton "ripped off" Croydon Ladies FC a few years back, taking most of the players without a penny compensation to Croydon FC or Ken Jarvey who ran the club. From having a high profile team, with several Cup and League Honours - Croydon were left with nothing, in a move that would have caused uproar at any level of men's football.

I watched many of Charlton's games at Selhurst (I usually did'nt have to pay, a I know Selhurst's Chief Steward!) and I never remember Charlton fans being harrased or prevented from selling Fanzines such as "Voice of The Valley" by any Palace fans or officials, that was in over 5 years of "sharing" our wonderful facilities at SP (OK, so the floodlights failed a couple of times, but you should have brought more change for the meters!).

On our last visit to the Valley, your Stewards made a bloody good job of making sure a couple of thousand leaflets advertisng a Palace supporters book "Hy on Palace" were not distributed and the distributor ejected from the ground before the match.

You can hardly call these sort of actions "highly principled" can you ?

Dowie's in good company there then. THe whole place is full of crooks.

thereichstuff
15-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Be very careful what you say on here it might be used in any court case . Is that right addick 1 :D I bet addickted wish he never mentioned his meeting with mr murray now :p

joyce the voice
15-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Mr. Murray doesn't seem to understand that you don't say of yourself that you are "highly principled," you let others say it. Charlton fans have always tended toward the smug and sanctimonious--we're a family club blah blah.

selhurst star
15-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by eagle mart
Perhaps he could join up, post and put the record straight that Dowie and Murray had no contact prior to our press conference and thank us for helping Charlton by letting them ground share. Then we could all get on with our lives.

Yes, because I cant sleep at night for thinking about it.

andy m
15-08-2006, 06:44 PM
They've worded their response very carefully.

They haven't. They said that Jordan's motive in serving the writ on Dowie in such a way was to disrupt the press conference, when actually thats libelous as Jordan says he did it in that way to keep things in the public domain.

celery stick
15-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm past caring about all this.

thereichstuff
15-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Im not :D

celery stick
15-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by thereichstuff
Im not :D

:D

Ben H
15-08-2006, 07:01 PM
I tend to agree with Justin's view of events (at that's without having any inside information).

It was obvious that Dowie wanted out for a long long time and not because his family is in the North: he was after the Southampton job 18 months ago if you remember. Relations with Jordan must have broken down very early on, either that or the man has an incredibly ruthless ambitious streak in him. Either way he wanted out.

Come the end of the season, Jordan probably wanted him out too, based on the team's all round below par performances. So Jordan finds a way of getting his man out without paying compensation and Dowie gets his freedom from a 4 year contract. It's a win win.

Basically Jordan feels he's been made to look a bit of a tit and now wants to have his cake and eat it (get rid of Dowie for free and receive 1m cash). I've no doubt that Dowie lied or at the least was economical with the truth to obtain his release. How Jordan will go about proving this is anyone's guess but if he doesn't have anything in writing it's going to be very difficult for him...

I fear Jordan will end up with a lot of egg on his face.

Gooders
15-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by celery stick
I'm past caring about all this.

Me too. I can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading the thread.

Gollum
15-08-2006, 07:02 PM

Contact was made and so an interview was granted before Dowie had officially left Palace. I believe that interview took place a lot sooner than has been made out by Charlton.
l

Ok, so if the crux of the case is dependent on evidence that Dowie approached or met Charlton whilst contracted to Palace then Simon requires a witness.
Hmmm...step forward Mr Bob Dowie......

Ben H
15-08-2006, 07:06 PM
It puts Bob in an even more difficult situation if he was involved in the discussions that led to his brother's release.

Gollum
15-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Frankly Bob must be cacking himself about this. He'll know what Iain was up to and Simon knows that he knows.....

Ben H
15-08-2006, 07:11 PM
..and probably explains why he's been kept in his job.:)

Ben H
15-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Also, Dowie never once said at the press conference that he wanted to leave to go back north. It's his word and against Jordan's.

waddoneagle
15-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
Also, Dowie never once said at the press conference that he wanted to leave to go back north. It's his word and against Jordan's.

But that was his golden opportunity to dismiss that claim, He didnt!!:o

Ben H
15-08-2006, 07:43 PM
That he didn't deny it at the press conference doesn't mean a lot, IMHO.

Justin
15-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Gollum
Ok, so if the crux of the case is dependent on evidence that Dowie approached or met Charlton whilst contracted to Palace then Simon requires a witness.

I believe Jordan has at least one witness, probably more.

I think the press conference was on the 22nd May. The papers on the 21st all covered the story with pretty much the same angle. They all claimed that Dowie was leaving Palace and joining Charlton. Strange if no interview had already been arranged.....

Ben H
15-08-2006, 08:21 PM
If anyone wants to hear Dowie's leaving press conference it's here:

mms://video.premiumtv.co.uk/crystalpalace/news220506_lo.wmv

beef
15-08-2006, 08:35 PM
The press conference was brilliant, just seeing the way Dowie squirmed when Jordan continually dropped in the 'moving up north' story confirmed that there was something fishy going on. I was so happy at the time that he had walked that I didn't put 2+2 together and come up with Charlton.

Justy C
15-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Cheers Ben H for the clip...

Jordan: "I got the impression that Iain would look at alternative employment if it was in the north"

Dowie: "theres no acrimony, its just time for a different challenge for me"

Dowie (on Jordan): "we get on most of the time unbelievably well, we're going to have fall outs and theres nothing wrong with that"

Dowie: "the family situation has been a problem but also its maybe time for a new challenge for me"

Hmmmmm. I know its a PR exercise, but I wonder what the respective legal teams make of that (especially with, according to the Evening Standard, Dowies claims about being treated unfairly by Jordan)?

Addickted
16-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by thereichstuff
Also the way the man serving the writ was manhandled and jossled out of the press conference wasnt very principled was it :D

He was trespassing.

I thought Ian Cartwright and Mick Everett dealt with him quite fairly considering it was a noisy, unexpected interruption to the proceedings.

If it was at Millwall, they would have just decked him.

celery stick
16-08-2006, 10:39 AM
He was trespassing.

I thought all the 'No Trespassing' signs came down years ago.
;)

Away Day Eagle
16-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by smileysmith
Well I suppose he has to find out what football fans think and talk about somewhere ...

They have very few in the ground on a Saturday - so as they say knowledge is power.

Well in darkest, deepest Kent it is.:p

forest glazier
16-08-2006, 11:20 AM
The interesting point in this issue will arrive if it goes to court. Let us suppose for a moment that Jordan decides to call Bob Dowie as a witness. That puts BD in a moral dilemma. Who does he support his brother or his employer. A bit like the moral maze. That is the time it gets really interesting, Cain and Abel and all that sort of stuff.
It threatens to rip the family Dowie apart and Ian did make a comment when Bob was appointed DOF at Palace that it is great to have some one you trust doing that job. An ironic twist perhaps?

LP
16-08-2006, 11:20 AM
He was trespassing.

I thought Ian Cartwright and Mick Everett dealt with him quite fairly considering it was a noisy, unexpected interruption to the proceedings.

If it was at Millwall, they would have just decked him.

Was he not let into the press conference though? If not, your security is a bit lax.

thereichstuff
16-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Addickted , was the man serving the writ a clerk of court ? If he was then it was a bit risky roughing him up . We dont want more court cases do we :p

GreatGonzo
16-08-2006, 02:25 PM
He was trespassing.

No he wasn't he was serving a court document on someone. I believe deliberately preventing someone from doing so is a criminal act. Still not like he was all on live national TV with him clearly saying what he was doing there was it! ;) :p

Addickted
25-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
No he wasn't he was serving a court document on someone. I believe deliberately preventing someone from doing so is a criminal act. Still not like he was all on live national TV with him clearly saying what he was doing there was it! ;) :p

Sorry but he was serving a personal writ from Jordan, not one issued by a court - the lacky from Jordan's solicitors was therefore trespassing.

Anyway, in our programme on Wednesday, Richard Murray quotes are:-

"From the people we interviewed the one at the top of the list was Billy Davies or Preston.... On Monday May 22nd we were negotiating terms with Billy - the same day that Crystal Palace held a press conference to announce that Iain Dowie would be leaving the club."

"Later on that day Billy and his lawyer told us that they wanted to think about our offer, probably understandably, at least overnight. I therefore decided that as Iain Dowie would have been on our shortlist had he previously been available, it would be wrong not to consider him now."

"So I rang him that evening and we arranged to meet the next day......... Our first meeting was informal, but I was very impressed by what I heard from Iain. Billy was taking his time considering our offer so I decided to invite Iain for a formal interview later that week and he so impressed my colleagues and I that second time that we decided to offer him the job"

"It was Iain's energy, enthusiasm, passion and his experience of the Premier League - which Billy, and I don't want to knock him, didn't have - which really made him our first choice".

And there is Mr Dowie's defence.

And in my opinion, there is Richard Murray arse covering - but very hard to prove one way or the other.

Nelson Muntz
25-08-2006, 04:43 PM
"It was Iain's energy, enthusiasm, passion and his experience of the Premier League HHHmmmm......... No mention of footballing brain, tactical knowledge, success in the transfer market then. His experence of the Premier League was somewhat short.
Energy, enthusiasm and passion alone won't get you anywhere as a manager and I'm afraid that's all Dowie has.
I'm shocked that he's made his way up the leagues rather than down, but the worm is turning.

CP Satellite
25-08-2006, 04:48 PM

"It was Iain's energy, enthusiasm, passion and his experience of the Premier League - which Billy, and I don't want to knock him, didn't have - which really made him our first choice".

:D Murray is ether a very bad liar or suffers from severe memory loss!

henryhallandhisbasque
25-08-2006, 04:54 PM
And you wonder why we have no Premiership loan players?

Justy C
25-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Fair play Addicked for suggesting Murray is covering his backside on this one. I'm 99% sure that Clapham Grand said that Dowie had an interview lined up at Charlton the weekend prior to him announcing he was leaving Palace.

bern5161
25-08-2006, 05:00 PM
I thought Jordan's beef was with Dowie's misrepresentation, i.e. "I'm going up north to be closer to my family". It really doesn't make any difference whether Murray tapped him up before or after he left Palace. What upsets Jordan is simply that Dowie betrayed the trust that Jordan showed in him by releasing him from his contract on account that he needed to fulfill his family responsibilities. If Dowie had said he wanted released from his contract so that he could apply for the Charlton post he would have been laughed at as Charlton would have had to pay compensation to Palace.

bern5161
25-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by henryhallandhisbasque
And you wonder why we have no Premiership loan players?

off you sad millwall scum

Chief Brody
24-09-2006, 02:01 PM
"It was Iain's energy, enthusiasm, passion and his experience of the Premier League which really made him our first choice".

The quote translated:

"It was Quasie's hairbrained schemes, post match gibberish, blind refusal to see his own defiencies and experience of relegating another club from the premiership which really made him first choice in a pathetic attempt to irritate Palace".

Tickety tock. :lux: