PDA

View Full Version : Tips on travelling to London

Tor
27-09-2001, 07:00 PM
Hi folks.

I'm taking a well deserved vacation, and me and my friend are leaving Norway and coming to London for a week. (first week in December).

He's (sadly) a Spurs fan, and we're gonna catch our Burnley clash on the 1st, and his Spurs loss against Bolton the 3rd.

Do we have to plan on getting tickets in advance, or is it ok to purchase them on match day?
What do you suggest?

And I'm also happy for any tips on how we should spend a week in London. Where to live, where to eat, where to drink and so on.

Knock yourselves out, guys.

arussell
27-09-2001, 08:49 PM
Palace/Burnley tickets you'll be able to get on the day Tor without problem - although with Spurs I would imagine you'll need them in advance.

As to where to stay etc - it all depends what you want to do when you come over ?

Samo*
27-09-2001, 08:56 PM
Get yourself a nice little b&B in Norwood try http://www.databrowse.co.uk/hotels/London/SE27.html

i will ask rory if he can put you up!

Tor
28-09-2001, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys.

ruediger
28-09-2001, 11:45 AM
Try:
http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/london.html

Personally I prefer the Notting Hill area.
(Notting Hill Hotel in Pembridge Gardens).

Take Bus No.12 to Elephant & Castle (wonderful sight-seeing tour) change to Bus No. 468 and leave at Whitehorse Lane. Fantastic.

Train from Victoria to Thornton Station is the easy ride though.

Oisin
28-09-2001, 01:03 PM
How much do you want to spend a night on accomodation? Its pricey in London but its worthwhile shopping around on the internet. I'd try www.priceline.co.uk.

Mat ov CPFC
28-09-2001, 01:08 PM
Not many people coming to London know that Licenced Taxi drivers enjoy being called 'Tossers' ( it's an old traditional name for them ) . So if you get one, dont forget to call him it, rather than driver or anything else, and you will get charged local rates as opposed to the ones normally reserved for Tourists.

Also, they frown on you taking any rubbish with you when you get out. Just chuck it on the floor of the cab as they love to offer extra services to customers.

Samo*
28-09-2001, 01:16 PM
There is aso a tradition of being violently sick all over the cab floor!
opening the window and sparying it down the side of the cab is my fav.
:)

Tor
28-09-2001, 01:25 PM
Nice cab routines you've got there. The good old "refusing to pay" is quite underrated as well. It works charms over here.:)