PDA

View Full Version : Remembering old Croydon nightclubs/nightspots...

La Bombonera
10-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Some were desperate, some were meat-markets, some were right dives, others were a cracking laugh. While I'm sitting here enjoying several large Baccardis with The Guv listening to Virgin party classics on the wireless reliving our lost youth, my mind was fondly cast back to some of Croydon's legendary nightclubs/nightspots ...

Dr Jims, The Greyhound, B(0)(0)Bs - above the Blue Anchor, Easy Street, The Coliseum, The Underground, Watertown I & II and of course not forgetting Cinatra's.

Then there was Snifters, The Croydon on a Friday night (then a gay pub - one of the first places I got served under-age), The Horn & Trumpet Friday night disco, divorced & seperated night at the Swan & Sugarloaf, The Forum (A.D.E :p ), Lawsons under Leon House, Kembers Wine Bar (where I deliberately caused a row in the downstairs bar just so I could be slung out by Steve Kember and Mel Blyth ... thanks guys), The Refuge, the list goes on ...

The decor was often naff (flock wallpaper and sticky carpet), the beer sometimes watered down (it was at The Underground - I knew someone that worked there), the food pretty iffy (what other club feeds you stodge like rice and French bread as soon as you walk through the door - thank you Cinatra's), you got completely plastered on jugs of Double Diamond or Worthington E, alcopops hadn't been invented, and if you were lucky you copped off with some bird that probably went to school with your Mum ;)

Croydon's legendary nightclubs/nightspots ... I salute you!

More Baccardi Guv :p

MATTY THE EAGLE
10-11-2006, 08:13 PM
For the younger ones.

Hero's and Bar Metro.

Started going Heros when 16, 2 Entry, and 2 Bottles of Stella, 2.50 Pints.

Happy Days

Eaglettie
10-11-2006, 08:17 PM
:p A few blasts from the past there! Remember them well!!

What was the one behind the Red Deer called ??? Was it 'Snobs' or something like that???

La Bombonera
10-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Bottles of Stella Matty ... you lucky sod! For me it was jugs of Double Diamond :hmph: :p

La Bombonera
10-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Eaglettie
:p A few blasts from the past there! Remember them well!!

What was the one behind the Red Deer called ??? Was it 'Snobs' or something like that???
Yeah something like that ... 'Snobs' sounds familiar? :p

Dorking .Eagle
10-11-2006, 08:18 PM
For those in between

Cinatra's (although to be fair about 3 different generations will remember that dump)
Joe Banana's
McClusky's
Blue Orchid
Cinderella's in Purley

good riddance the lot of 'em

La Bombonera
10-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle
good riddance the lot of 'em
C'mon spill the beans! :p

Steve H
10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Pals, best place in Croydon in it's heyday :p - this was before everywhere was open late, and was one of the few places (other than Blue Orchid/Colloseum) that was open till 2am, and possibly the only bar. Had some great nights in there, a really good crowd and some deadly cocktails in the bar at the back!

xab
10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
The Underground was great :p And there was nothing quite like the friendly staff kicking you in the head if you nodded off on the stage :D

Eaglettie
10-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Used to get the 68 bus up to Cats Whiskers / Studio in Streatham too.

Mike Douglas
10-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Met my wife at the Orchid Ballroom Purley at a Phillips works Christmas dance. For the children that's what it was called before Cinderella's.

philsick
10-11-2006, 08:29 PM
MY favs were
Greyhound of course
green dragon
swamp club,crown hill thursdays,
The underground,after the ship.

La Bombonera
10-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Oooh yes, before it became The Studio. Remember having to get off the bus by the common to be sick ... more than once :p

winterj
10-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm talking mid 90's era but do you remember the town house ? Its called Mojama now,always good for a bit of crumpet in there but got a bit too trendy and i sodded it and went back to the ship

Hedgehog
10-11-2006, 08:35 PM
What is the one Peter Taylor and Jim Cannon kept getting quized about by Tom Watt recently.... I know I knew it and had been there once or twice... On Surrey St. I think and began with 'S'.

La Bombonera
10-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Didn't the Gypsy Tavern at West Croydon do a disco on a Friday night? I'm sure it did. I'm sure one of my mates pulled a monster there :p

yorkpalace
10-11-2006, 08:44 PM
saw some great bands at the greyhound in the 70,s and as for cinatras , does anyone remember the state of the carpet which you only saw when the lights were on at chucking out time? your feet used to stick to it,watered down beer so we always stuck to shorts, and as for the slice of meet and french bread well i never was brave enough to try it!

Mat ov CPFC
10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Never really a Croydon Bod in my early years but had some good nights at Cinderellas in Purley and can remember a club called 'Laurels' or similar on Geogre Street.

La Bombonera
10-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Remember the balloons?

Remember the podgy bird with 'FLAT SLAG' in sequins on her ankle-length cape? :p

La Bombonera
10-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
can remember a club called 'Laurels' or similar on Geogre Street.
Sounds familiar?

What about ... the Rue St George? :p

Ebeneezer
10-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Is the Granaries still there, off Surrey Street?

I haven't been 'clubbin' in Croydon' for years - I don't think my health insurance covers it.

La Bombonera
10-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Ebeneezer
Is the Granaries still there, off Surrey Street?

I haven't been 'clubbin' in Croydon' for years - I don't think my health insurance covers it.

The answer to that Ebeneezer is yes and probably no! :p

Trolley
10-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I have a recollection of a 'Hostelry' opposite 'East Croydon' station called "The Railway" and "The Royal" Chinese Restaurant opposite 'Allders' arcade whose owner was a delightful chappie called 'Mr Man'.
'Mr Man' was actually a supporter of our beloved club.

:p

fenchurch
10-11-2006, 08:57 PM
met my good lady in easy street! god it's got a lot to answer for!

Hedgehog
10-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Trolley
I have a recollection of a 'Hostelry' opposite 'East Croydon' station called "The Railway"
That was just a pub in a pre-fab building if we are talking about the same place.

Used it while going to Croydon Tech.... full of druggies mostly.

Ebeneezer
10-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by La Bombonera
The answer to that Ebeneezer is yes and probably no! :p

It's Ovaltine and the shipping forecast for me now on Friday nights.

King William
10-11-2006, 09:16 PM
The Coliseum,Rue St George, the town house , Blue Orchid/Colloseum:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :p

Kevin T
10-11-2006, 09:16 PM
I used to like the Rue St George and The Town House (or Tavern in the Town as it was known before that)

The Guv
10-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Hedgehog
What is the one Peter Taylor and Jim Cannon kept getting quized about by Tom Watt recently.... I know I knew it and had been there once or twice... On Surrey St. I think and began with 'S'.
Scamps, thats where i went, lots of soul music, it was great dancing. Showing my age (43), however it was SAFE. :afro:

Chocky
10-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Since when was Snifters ever a gay bar??? I started drinking in there in 79 and never once saw it full of back door merchants and never once had to watch my back in the toilets (which consisted of one rubbish cubicle and two piss pots which were like spoons so you had massive splashback). I only remember lots of totty in there, including the bar staff.

Laurels rings a bell, but I can't place it. When I was 16 the saturday post match routine was train to West Croydon for opening time at The Fox & Hounds. Then walk down the High Street with a Kentucky on the pub crawl that took in The Ship, Snifters, Bull's Head, Blacksmiths Arms and The Croham as regulars, but filled in different weeks with different pubs like The Surrey Cricketers, Willright's Arms (spelling?), Catherine Wheel, Dog & Bull, and others I can't remember. The end of the night was a visit to either the Taj Mahal or Shaheen Tandoori to cause a little bit of a mess on carrrpet. I will say to this day The Shaheen Chicken Dhansak (early days when they had big black & white pictures on the walls of Bangladesh) was the best curry I have ever tasted.

In later years I went to all the usual places that Bombonera has mentioned like The Underground etc, and Mixers, Scotts, Scamps (or Easy Street or whatever it had changed it's name to that month).

Daytime friday was always reserved for The Van Damme Bar next to Scamps ;)

Dorking .Eagle
10-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Used to regularly see Dean Gordon and Bruce Dyer in the Blue Orchid (Saturday nights) (and occasionally Grim Reaper)

Remember also seeing Simon Rodger in McCluskies and John Humphrey and David West (ex physio) out and about in Croydon.

MATTY THE EAGLE
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
McCluskies

:lux:

1 drinks on Thurs Nights.

The Guv
10-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Chocky
Since when was Snifters ever a gay bar???
No, sorry mate .. 'The Croydon' as in the pub itself. Snifters was very much a hetrosexual haunt

Eagle El
10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Dr. Jims !!

That takes me back.

Remember my mate Stevie B successfully chatting up a wee scottish bird, and then watching her carried oot after she threatened to glass someone. Alledgedly.

Ruskin Old Boy
10-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Pubs on Chocky's pub crawl rang lots of bells (Wheelwrights if I recall correctly, half way between the Flyover and Coombe Road?). We liked to vary it ... starting at the Red Deer or the Swan and Sugar Loaf and working our way north (we're talking 1960's now so my memory ain't all it used to be), pick n mixing the pubs. The Ship was always a favourite as was the Woodman in Upland Road (the latter had been in my dad's family for many years but that's another story).

Names of curry houses escape me completely but never the ones that appeared in those seriously naff adverts they showed in the ABC Broad Green or the Odeon in North End. Quite a few seemed to be up from West Croydon station, one near McCartney's (?) the butcher near the big Co-op where I worked as a 15 year old one christmas. We had a few school runs there after nights out at the Shirley Poppy, Crown, Sandrock, Surprise.

Early seventies crawls were more likely to end up in whatever night club there was above the Blue Anchor. Always a lot of stairs to fall down at the end of an evening.

Ruskin Old Boy
10-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Hedgehog
That was just a pub in a pre-fab building if we are talking about the same place.

Used it while going to Croydon Tech.... full of druggies mostly.

That was an awful place - but several years before it there was a "proper" pub there, same name. It was closed when I reached Croydon drinking age :D but the building was still standing.

Rob Fox
10-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Dr Jim's, ahh yes!!

Was only only talking to Steve Weatherill the other day about that club!

Optikinetic projectors all over the place with their liquid wheel projections!!

The Zodiac on a thurs/fri/sat night with the legendary Keith Hardy!

There was a club above a chinese restaurant in george Street, and i remember not going down one thursday night as I'd been working and then front page of the Sun next day stated that blokes had gone up and shot up the bar!!

Scamps was another one I remember, Crown hill was it?

Got off with the black girl in the cloakroom who shared a house in south norwood with about 15 million other people.....didn't go home that night!!!

Boobs,....didn't Dale winton dj there?

Top Rank on a Saturday...... Orchid Purley.....Cats whiskers......the Gun!!!........ and what was the place by the Swan and sugerloaf?

Oh yeah.......at the purley roundabout in that little precinct....Scarletts!!!!

the memories come flooding back!!!

budgie
10-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Used to have some great nights in Boobs, and Scamps in Croydon, and also the occasional night in Tites? in Beckenham, which I think we used to think was a bit classier because it had big comfortable chairs.

I also went to Cinatra's but before that, there was the immortal 'Cats Whiskers', I used to have high standards at the beginning of the night, but by the end of the evening when the slowies came on, anything was fair game. :o

I'm almost embarrased to mention 'The CPH' at Crystal Palace, but it was our own local club, and we did have some brilliant nights there, but we also had some truly terrible ones too. :D

Chocky
10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by The Guv
No, sorry mate .. 'The Croydon' as in the pub itself. Snifters was very much a hetrosexual haunt

Yes I remember The Croydon. Did go in there a couple of times (it became The Rat and Parrot yes?), I seem to remember a spiral staircase that went downstairs and the bar down there was tended by an old brassy over made up woman with a big wig, could well have been a man, but I didn't hang around long enough to find out. I think it was a Courage pub.

Not so long ago, but still mid 90s, there was a tiny bar in Katherine St, which was just a door as you saw it from the street, but once inside you went down a spiral staircase (lots about in those days) to a little bar with a naff mural of New York behind the jump. It lasted about 6 months.

Another place I remember is West Side halfway between the Catherine Wheel and The Blacksmith's. that was taken over by Kember and done up.

Mal Adjusted
10-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Does no-one else remember the Beer Keller in the basement of what was then C&A in Croydon?

Bangkok Eagle
10-11-2006, 10:27 PM
"Hackeys" in West Croydon (opposite the Gypo Tavern).

Cinderellas in Purley.

How about "Alleycats" down the stairs in Katherine Street, opposite the Queens Gardens. Classic scar nights.

Mighty_Guru
10-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Cant be assed to read

Anyone mentioned The Suite

Doctor Jims

Boobs

Scamps

The Addington Hotel

Purley Orchid

Rob Fox
10-11-2006, 10:30 PM
what was that place in dingwall road just down from East Croydon station.......reggae all the way!!!

btw....only went once!!!

Eagle El
10-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I think I just missed the Bier Keller. The Railway Bell over the road I only just caught in my teen years, met Rose in there in my 4" heels in the early eighties and was almost as tall as her!

Eagle El
10-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by budgie
'The CPH' at Crystal Palace:D

Spent a lot of my 'can't remember' hours there at the end of the seventies. Also remember watching John H Stracey on telly at the Golden Lion Sydenham for one of my earliest lock-ins around the same time.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
10-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by philsick
swamp club,crown hill thursdays, Run by my mate, Stalks :p

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Bangkok Eagle
How about "Alleycats" down the stairs in Katherine Street, opposite the Queens Gardens. Classic scar nights. Run by my mate, Nils :p

Hedgehog
10-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Scamps, thats where i went, lots of soul music, it was great dancing. Showing my age (43), however it was SAFE. :afro:
That's it! Well done, I've been racking my brain for the last 2 hours.

Well I'm 51 so it must have lasted quite a while if you remember it at 43.

Seagulleater
10-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels
Run by my mate, Stalks :p

Small world I remember Stalks, great bloke, he also ran one offs for the scooter clubs at various venues, brighton in the snow was a crack

Seagulleater
10-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Chocky
Since when was Snifters ever a gay bar??? In later years I went to all the usual places that Bombonera has mentioned like The Underground etc, and Mixers, mixers stated off being a gay place, then changed to normal then back etc etc
Daytime friday was always reserved for The Van Damme Bar next to Scamps ;)

mixers stated off being a gay place, then changed to normal then back etc etc when was you there chocks:D ........... SGE

Kevin T
10-11-2006, 11:31 PM
"Hackeys" in West Croydon (opposite the Gypo Tavern).

Cinderellas in Purley.

How about "Alleycats" down the stairs in Katherine Street, opposite the Queens Gardens. Classic scar nights.

I used to go to The Stairway on a Friday and Alleycats on a Tuesday (I think)

Eaglettie
10-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Rob Fox
and what was the place by the Swan and sugerloaf?

Yeah I remember that place just along from the Swan and Sugarloaf, used to go in there on a Friday night sometimes after a night in the Earl of Eldon. Can't remember the name of it though.

Scarletts :p Many a drunken walk after, up Purley Downs Road !!!
(slightly off topic but who can remember the KeyMarket in that little precinct??)

Bangkok Eagle
10-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Kevin T
I used to go to The Stairway on a Friday and Alleycats on a Tuesday (I think)

Likewise to both :p

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
11-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Likewise to both :p Me too. Used to go from the Fiddler and Firkin to The Stairway.

DennisUphill
11-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Dr Jim's - Luvved it & the free entry courtesy the doorman
Scarlets - Royal Oak?

cdm61
11-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Cats Whiskas
Bali Hi

Kevin T
11-11-2006, 12:32 AM
I also used to go to Scarlets with a right bunch of reprobates nearly twice my age. Met what was to become a future fiancee in there whilst off my nut on e's. She told me the next day the one thing she remembered about me was that one of my eyes was open and the other one closed. If that's not the way to begin a 3 year relationship, I don't know what is

Kenny Ransom
11-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Me too. Used to go from the Fiddler and Firkin to The Stairway.

H

Just hearing you talking about the firkin brings a tear to my eyes.
Them's the days eh :p

Remember c*nting off Chris Black on sunday nights ?

Kevin T
11-11-2006, 12:40 AM
I once got mistaken for someone else and barred from the Firkin. I was shitfaced and it seemed like my life had fallen apart. Very embaressingly cired like a girl.

Palace Guard
11-11-2006, 12:42 AM
"Laurels" was the one near Beckenham station I think..
edit..sorry..thinking of Lautrecs!

cdm61
11-11-2006, 12:43 AM
In my day that was called Tights:sob:

Palace Guard
11-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Run by my mate, Stalks :p
Saved me from a further beating,after some flattop nerks took a dislike to me in The swamp one night..top man!
think it became the Jeopardy club for a while on Wednesday nights??

Louis
11-11-2006, 01:11 AM
The Davis Theatre (fortunately now replaced by an office block) ...

http://www.cinephoto.co.uk/davis_theatre_croydon.htm

Hedgehog
11-11-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by cdm61
Mine to, and I want to say something before that.

It was rumoured David Bowie (Jones) used to hang out there amungst others.

Was Cats Whiskers in Stretham High Street? I know I went there but I can't picture getting there. :eek:

biggus mickus
11-11-2006, 01:19 AM
My wife might read this board, not a bleeding chance. ROFL.
Shrublands estate. Rofl.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
11-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Kenny Ransom
H

Just hearing you talking about the firkin brings a tear to my eyes.
Them's the days eh :p

Remember c*nting off Chris Black on sunday nights ? You want it all, you want it all :) And drinking the place empty of Guinness.

biggus mickus
11-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Tights at Beckenham Junction. ROFL. Big bat above the dance floor, with red eyes.

Thought better of that, Edit.

Smoz
11-11-2006, 01:48 AM

I think they were ska nights, although after several bottles of Chimay in there you were quite likely to bump your head on the spiral staircase so your spelling could be correct.

eagle mart
11-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Right.

Pals - used to rock on a thursday night. Nowhere else did.
Rue St George - weird
Brannigans - old people
Cinatras - Old people, fat people, the bird who had the fat slag sequin'd thingy. Pikey people. Pulled some bird once who showed me her suicide attempt scars. I'd like to think I gver back her vitality for life but sadly think I might have tipped over the edge.
Snifter's - Was that the Folly?
Who remembers those crap clubs they opened up in the Purley Industrial Estates? They all got closed down because of rucking! What's the club above the Tree house/Blue Anchor called nowadays. I went there when it was the Blue Beyond.

Beckenham - Langtry's (SP) It was like the bar in Star Wars that Obi Wan takes Luke and the droids to.

Scarletts? Didn't that place have a fishpond in the club -poor little goldfish.

Cinderella's Rocakafella's innit!

Coliseum - big kick-offs all the time, the only time I got chased by the Police was after a big fightin there.

Nobody has mentioned Bonn Bonne (Herne Hill). Fantastic club that shut at 1pm - but with pub prices and the best night was wednesday. It was great. Brilliant in fact.

Going further afield.... Zen's in Dartford (Air & Breathe) and Martine's in East Grinstead.

ozzieEagle
11-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Even further afeild... But hell what an impact, My ears still carry the Damage... The Magdala... East Dulwich Moggied up Hippies hanging around all over the place, on the floor, on the walls, face down in the Urinals, everywhere except where they should be.. At the bar.

Chucking out time was an amazing event.

Temple Bar... Camberwell... Where Palace fans mixed with Millwall fans and eyed up the same girls... All in the presence of those Heavys that ran the Protection rackets through South and East London.

Streatham Ice rink, where I tore my two tone suit, flapping around on the wet melting ice to the strains, of Freda paynes Band of gold, and when Spirit in the sky, was a fairly new song, Feck that was embarrasing.

eaglejez
11-11-2006, 09:44 AM

Met my wife in Snifters !! 1985 !
Also got asked my age by Steve Kember who was serving me on my 21st birthday ! I take it its not there any more ?

Bangkok Eagle
11-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Smoz
I think they were ska nights, although after several bottles of Chimay in there you were quite likely to bump your head on the spiral staircase so your spelling could be correct.
Ska's what I meant. Last nights alcohol consumption obviously affected my spelling.

Originally posted by Kevin T
I once got mistaken for someone else and barred from the Firkin.
Maybe it was me. I got barred from the Firkin for ages by some stroppy Australian Manageress after some drunken antics. Annoying since I only lived round the corner.

Another old haunt used to be The Kings Cellars on Park Street, which was also called Goodys and various other things.

MicksSis
11-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by cdm61

Spelt 'Tites' - It was a right old dive, but I loved it there. - On a Thursday. you would get a 'meal' thrown in with the price of the enterance fee.
It was a slice of spam and a dollop of coldslaw - Happy days:)

Scamps was also a reular for me - Crown Hill Croydon and I remember Cinderellas in Purley being called Tiffany's.

RickyB
11-11-2006, 10:17 AM
:p :hi: :hi: :lux: :lux:

hoopsmccan
11-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Mike Douglas
Met my wife at the Orchid Ballroom Purley at a Phillips works Christmas dance. For the children that's what it was called before Cinderella's.

Played a gig once at Philips (was there a place in Hackbridge? it's all a bit hazy). Our singer worked for Philips in Broad Green (Still does possibly).

The Orchid ruled! It had a revolving stage.

Eaglettie
11-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by MicksSis

Scamps was also a reular for me - Crown Hill Croydon and I remember Cinderellas in Purley being called Tiffany's.

Tiffany's...Thats it :p It was bugging me all last night what it was called !!!!! Well done L !

RickyB
11-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Pubs on Chocky's pub crawl rang lots of bells (Wheelwrights if I recall correctly, half way between the Flyover and Coombe Road?) Wheelwrights was on Southbridge Road, nearly opposite The Star. Now the Wig and Pen I believe, and no longer have the pool table under the canopy in the back garden :(

Eaglettie
11-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by eagle mart

Yeah, it was on the right hand side as you walked in !

spiny norman
I used to mini-cab in Croydon. A regular fare out of Scarletts was Charlie Kray.
"A true Gent"!

The club at Beckenham Jct was "Tites" not "Tights"-- (Freudian slip unavoidable I s'pose!)

Was a club out at Chipstead Valley Rd.---"Eclipse" wasn't it? Walked
back home to Addiscombe one night--took 'bout 4 hours!

Dr.Jims--my first club--remember Max on the door- moody fkr.

RickyB
Yeah I remember that place just along from the Swan and Sugarloaf, used to go in there on a Friday night sometimes after a night in the Earl of Eldon. Can't remember the name of it though.

Scarletts :p Many a drunken walk after, up Purley Downs Road !!!
(slightly off topic but who can remember the KeyMarket in that little precinct??) Scotts Dine and Dance perchance?

That was a proper poo hole :)

RickyB
11-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by spiny norman
I used to mini-cab in Croydon. A regular fare out of Scarletts was Charlie Kray.
Indeed, this is true. Mate brought him into our office in Church Street one day - was a bit of a surprise :)

Eaglettie
11-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by RickyB
Scotts Dine and Dance perchance?

That was a proper poo hole :)

That was it, you're right.

RickyB
11-11-2006, 10:35 AM
woohoo! :)

Cassy
11-11-2006, 08:41 PM

OMG I remember that place too :D

Dorking .Eagle
11-11-2006, 09:57 PM
The Colliseum - forgot about that place - guaranteed location for a glassing and a punchup every Friday night!!

kitticat
12-11-2006, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle
The Colliseum - forgot about that place - guaranteed location for a glassing and a punchup every Friday night!!

That was the first place I went, However I got into my trance, Then it went nuts and then croydon seemed insignificant, I then ended up in Brixton and Sheffield :lux: :lux:

Though give them their dues I used to hang round with the wax city lot when I was a young one!!

cupid stunt
12-11-2006, 10:58 AM
The Metropol in Purley

Psychokiller
12-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by eaglejez
Met my wife in Snifters !! 1985 !
Also got asked my age by Steve Kember who was serving me on my 21st birthday ! I take it its not there any more ?

It became Champers Wine Bar for a while and is now the Happy Wok Chinese Restaurant.

La Bombonera
12-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Rob Fox
What an image that conjurs up! :p

Trolley
12-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Is the 'Horn and Trumpet' hostelry still in 'Surrey Street' ?

RickyB
12-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by kitticat
That was the first place I went, However I got into my trance, Then it went nuts and then croydon seemed insignificant, I then ended up in Brixton and Sheffield :lux: :lux:

Though give them their dues I used to hang round with the wax city lot when I was a young one!! I DJ'ed in there circa 94 - also the Hollywood Boulevard next door :)

Eastern Boy
12-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Palace Guard
"Laurels" was the one near Beckenham station I think..
edit..sorry..thinking of Lautrecs!

I thought it was La Trecs! Jesus, that place holds some great memories for me. We used to get a bus down them from the top of Crystal Palace and then walk home!
I always remember we used to have to walk past a cemetary on the way home-which played tricks on your mind when you'd had a few!

Always thought there were classier birds from La Trecs!

Went to the Cats Whiskers a number of times, but some some god awful fights there, in the days when blades were a rarety.

Anyone else ever venture off to Flicks in Dartford? There was also the place by Redhill station and an "in" place which escapes my mind in Canvey Island.

Lived up in central London 1982-84 and as an ex-NEW ROMANTIC :eek:
you could,'t beat the Camden Palais

...to cut a long story short, I lost my mind!

Kevin T
12-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Why does everyone call The Camden Palace, The Camden Palais?

Eastern Boy
12-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I guess it was a name that got linked to the club at the time, Steve Strange may have had something to do with it.

Palais was a hip, flamboyant word which suited the New Romantic era.

Kevin T
12-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Nah, I think people just get it mixed up with Hammersmith ;)

RickyB
12-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Eastern Boy
I thought it was La Trecs! Jesus, that place holds some great memories for me. We used to get a bus down them from the top of Crystal Palace and then walk home!
I always remember we used to have to walk past a cemetary on the way home-which played tricks on your mind when you'd had a few!

Always thought there were classier birds from La Trecs!

Went to the Cats Whiskers a number of times, but some some god awful fights there, in the days when blades were a rarety.

Anyone else ever venture off to Flicks in Dartford? There was also the place by Redhill station and an "in" place which escapes my mind in Canvey Island.

Lived up in central London 1982-84 and as an ex-NEW ROMANTIC :eek:
you could,'t beat the Camden Palais

...to cut a long story short, I lost my mind! I remember going to a club in Dartford - nice ladies in there .. can't remember what it was called in 89/90 tho :(

Chocky
13-11-2006, 02:34 AM
In 1994 ish we had a pre season friendly at Brentford, and I had a burger there. That night I went to Joe Bananas and honked my guts up for ages in the toilet in the restaurant bit, I was there for ages and came out shaking and got a cab home.

Brentford Nylons? Brentford C*NTS.

jimble
13-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Saw some memorable gigs at the Underground, devastated when it shut down. Hammersmith Clarendon went around the same time too. :(

Used to drink in the Ship and the Standard in my goth days in the mid '80s.

Away Day Eagle
13-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Anyone remember the illegal raves in the indoor market on George St ?

Chocky
13-11-2006, 09:42 AM
The Guvnor of The Royal Standard used to get the hump when we put ketchup in te pint glasses. Well if he's going to serve spotty 16 year olds from the Art College up the road what did he expect. The greedy law breaking bastad. And his sandwiches were shite. The Bull's Head was a great little pub, superb huge jumbo sausages beans and fat chips, washed down with pints of IPA, then back to College for afternoon tea break.

Maidstoned Eagle
13-11-2006, 09:45 AM
And you tell that to the kids of today...they won't believe you!

pfc
13-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by eagle mart

it sure did I remember crushing up a few pils and sprinkled it in to get the fish f ucked. In hindsight it was a waste of a few pils

Regal Eagle
13-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Used to work behind the bar in the evenings at the Orchid Ballroom as it was called in the 60's. Great place to meet the "Dolly birds" in those days.
Used to go to the band parties after the bar work, Ray McVay was the resident band at the time, and leave totally shagged out (literally) at about 3 in the morning. They were some nights! Then back to my day job at 9am.
The Orchid also had a revolving "Lager Bar". No-one drank lager in those days only Watneys Red Barrell...dreadful stuff. Anyway if I was put on the revolving bar (it wasn't at all busy) and it went gently round and round so I could see all the women without moving. It also had two buttons under the bar which would reverse the whole thing. So I would wait until a girl has one foot on the revolving part and one on the main floor and quickly press the reverse button. They usually went flying with mini skirts akimbo and allowing me to rush round and pick them up. Some were most grateful.
I dunno the extent we will go to pick up women!!

As a biker I used to hang out in the Saltbox club at the top of Saltbox Hill and a place called Annes Pantry up there in Biggin Hill. Lots of fights and big bikes and blokes getting regulaly creamed against a big tree halve-way down Saltbox Hill.

Loads of places in Croydon in the 60' to go to but mostly too pis$ed to remember.

eagle mart
13-11-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm informed by my MD that he went to see Hendrix play in a pub on Wellsey Road.... any ideas, which one? was anyone else there?

Isle of Wight
13-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by La Bombonera
Bottles of Stella Matty ... you lucky sod! For me it was jugs of Double Diamond :hmph: :p

"A double dimond works wonders, works wonders, works wonders.
A double diamond works wonders, some have some today."

disco mixx kidd
13-11-2006, 01:19 PM
the coliseum omg!

but 999 nites on a wednesday at joes bananas were great

remember my mate gettin a hand job followed by a qquick bj
the girl then asked him if he'd like to go back to hers
he said he was fine thanks-wasnt much point! :-)

bein the only white face in granarys one nite was fun thou.......
we camped in the chill out room where the barman had never been so busy-when the dj nipped off to the loo i found a clash track in his box and whopped that on to everyones amusement!

pfc
13-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by disco mixx kidd

bein the only white face in granarys one nite was fun thou.......
we camped in the chill out room where the barman had never been so busy-when the dj nipped off to the loo i found a clash track in his box and whopped that on to everyones amusement!

i remeber going there not so long ago and the doormen said 'no trouble tonight' to us which he got a reply 'Well we are going to be hard to spot' we were the only 3 white people in there.

RickyB
13-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
Anyone remember the illegal raves in the indoor market on George St ? Yeah - knew Robin at Rendezvous Records in there ;)

RUSSELL
13-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by MATTY THE EAGLE
For the younger ones.

Hero's
Happy Days

It was the Cafe Moonshine before that.

Justy C
13-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Early 90s, Tuesdays in Cafe Moonshine was karaoke night. After more than a few beers we put Chris Coleman, Simon Osbourn and Simon Rodgers names down to do a song (without them knowing).

They paniced and legged it to the bogs and hid in there. We went in to apologise and I just remember Chris Colemans Welsh accent shouting "we've been stitched up, we've been stitched up". Very funny, had to be there I suppose.

We used to regularly see Collymore, McGoldrick and Young in Cafe Moonshine and Salako enjoyed Snifters whilst Geoff Thomas used to take the boys some nights to Joe Bananas (those doormen were absolute ****s) and The Blue Orchid.

WHAT'S UP!
13-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by cupid stunt
The Metropol in Purley

Fisrt club I ever went to! followed by Orchid and Collesium had some good nights in all of them many years ago!:sob:

Kevlon
13-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
Cafe Moonshine

Ahhh memories. I used to love that place.

I remember the Rue. It was a bit like a bomb shelter down there werent it?

I remember the queues for the Orchid used to wrap right round into Kathrine Street.

Cinatras. Urgh that place was always a dive, but I had some wicked nights there! Did anyone actually eat any food from the free buffet?

Justy C
13-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Kevlon
I remember the Rue. It was a bit like a bomb shelter down there werent it?

Spent far too much time and money in the Rue St George. Good steak sandwiches at lunch time I remember.

disco mixx kidd
13-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Justy C

We used to regularly see Collymore, McGoldrick and Young in Cafe Moonshine and Salako enjoyed Snifters whilst Geoff Thomas used to take the boys some nights to Joe Bananas (those doormen were absolute ****s) and The Blue Orchid.

elliotts wine bar in purley had alot of players drinkin there too

pfc
13-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by disco mixx kidd
elliotts wine bar in purley had alot of players drinkin there too

And one of the directors drinks in there now:p

Jeraff
13-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by hoopsmccan
Played a gig once at Philips (was there a place in Hackbridge? it's all a bit hazy). Our singer worked for Philips in Broad Green (Still does possibly).

The Orchid ruled! It had a revolving stage.

Philips social club in Hackbridge - yep. I used to work with your singer. That was the gig me & the missus first got together. Your band let a few of us do a couple of songs and I might have played your guitar (sorry).

headliner
10-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Dr Jim's, ahh yes!!

Was only only talking to Steve Weatherill the other day about that club!

Optikinetic projectors all over the place with their liquid wheel projections!!

The Zodiac on a thurs/fri/sat night with the legendary Keith Hardy!

There was a club above a chinese restaurant in george Street, and i remember not going down one thursday night as I'd been working and then front page of the Sun next day stated that blokes had gone up and shot up the bar!!

Scamps was another one I remember, Crown hill was it?

Got off with the black girl in the cloakroom who shared a house in south norwood with about 15 million other people.....didn't go home that night!!!

Top Rank on a Saturday...... Orchid Purley.....Cats whiskers......the Gun!!!........ and what was the place by the Swan and sugerloaf?

BUMP!!....me and the other half have been trying for months to remember the name of this club in George Street above the Chinese - both went to it in early 70s - it was just a big room with a small bar and sychadelic stuff beamed onto the back wall - members only (plus guests) -quite weird place but often finished a good night in there - can anyone remember the name of it?

TheMexicanHorse
10-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Fisrt club I ever went to! followed by Orchid and Collesium had some good nights in all of them many years ago!:sob:

Where abouts in Purley was the said nightclub? (Cinderellas)

eaglejez
10-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Met Mrs EJ in there in 1985 :p (Snifters that is )

TheMexicanHorse
10-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Oh, and whilst we are on the subject, there apparently used to be a club in Wallington called "Gino's" I believe.

Where about's was the said club situated?

eaglejez
10-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Double post....almost 5 years on :D

Pidster
10-06-2011, 09:57 PM
BUMP!!....me and the other half have been trying for months to remember the name of this club in George Street above the Chinese - both went to it in early 70s - it was just a big room with a small bar and sychadelic stuff beamed onto the back wall - members only (plus guests) -quite weird place but often finished a good night in there - can anyone remember the name of it?

My sister once spoke of a place called Justin's....could that be it?

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
10-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Pink trousers and knitted jumpers?

Pidster
10-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Pink trousers and knitted jumpers?

No trainers or dress shoes..... flip flops only.

RUSSELL
10-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Where abouts in Purley was the said nightclub? (Cinderellas)

Wasn't that the Metropol and then later a gym?

TheMexicanHorse
10-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Wasn't that the Metropol and then later a gym?

Had a scout around on t'interweb and it seems it used to be where Fitness First is now in Purley.

RUSSELL
10-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Had a scout around on t'interweb and it seems it used to be where Fitness First is now in Purley.

Yep, it was the Metrolpol before the gym and Cinderellas before that... It was next to teh AMF bowling alley which has now gone.

headliner
11-06-2011, 07:38 AM
My sister once spoke of a place called Justin's....could that be it?

Brilliant - thanks Pidster - that rings a bell now you've said it - thank your sister for us!!

headliner
11-06-2011, 07:41 AM
....other clubs that come to mind back in the early 70s.....Top Rank suite (later Croydon suite), the Cartoon, the Zodiac Club....all at broad green (West Croydon)....

le piddler
11-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Oh, and whilst we are on the subject, there apparently used to be a club in Wallington called "Gino's" I believe.

Where about's was the said club situated?

Went to a party there about 15 years ago,it was at the top of the high street by where Sainsburys is now,above the estate agents there I think??

TheMexicanHorse
11-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Went to a party there about 15 years ago,it was at the top of the high street by where Sainsburys is now,above the estate agents there I think??

Ah, what is now called "Wallington Square". I can very vaguely remember a restaurant/bar at the very back of the square when I was a very small yoot, which is now all boarded up, I wonder if that has anything to do with it as well?

Cheers pal.

jone-zee
11-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Ther was also Kams or Aladdins

L'head Eagle
11-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Read all of this thread, what memories. Pretty much been to most of clubs/pubs mentioned. Special mention for ska nights at Alleycats on a midweek night (can't remember), my mate was the DJ. Free chaser with a pint, on my 21st seemed like everyone in the club was giving me their chaser, it got messy.

le piddler
11-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Ah, what is now called "Wallington Square". I can very vaguely remember a restaurant/bar at the very back of the square when I was a very small yoot, which is now all boarded up, I wonder if that has anything to do with it as well?

Cheers pal.

Not there,was at the top of the high street,a little doorway before the old church that used to be in the spot where Sainsburys now is.Think La Bomb should be able to confirm?? He's an old Wallington git like me!! :D

Big-Griff
11-06-2011, 10:44 AM

Went to an Anne Summers staff xmas part there..............bloody good it was as well......:p

mrgins
11-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I remember the Orchid ballroom, used to go to the Greyhound regularly and the Beer Kellar

SJ'sLoveMonkey
11-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Used to frequent Snifter's and Kember's bar on a fairly regular basis. Good times

MKDave
11-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Part time barman in Boobs for a while in the 70's.
Plastic glasses, no bottles over the counter, stained glasses from lager and blackcurrant.
Class
Loved the Top Rank on a Saturday, the bloke dancing on his own to try and get people to dance, rows of girls dancing round their handbags, drunken conga at the end of the evening.
Ah, the memories.

La Bombonera
11-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Not there,was at the top of the high street,a little doorway before the old church that used to be in the spot where Sainsburys now is.Think La Bomb should be able to confirm?? He's an old Wallington git like me!! :D
Used to be Gino's wine bar on the high street just before the old church :p

La Bombonera
11-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Cheers pal.
Remember 'The Cavalier' in Wallington Square? What a fiesty little place that was! :p

liberal clubber
11-06-2011, 05:59 PM
I used to go to the King Cellars in Park st (it was haunted)
and shireffs wine bar-hated wine BUT top birds

RickyB
11-06-2011, 06:23 PM
The Croydon/Rat and Parrot is now reopen - called The Odd Shoe, run my my friends Claire and Simon

TheMexicanHorse
11-06-2011, 06:29 PM
The Croydon/Rat and Parrot is now reopen - called The Odd Shoe, run my my friends Claire and Simon

Didn't look very ready when I walked past two hours before it's 5PM opening yesterday!

Still, a new pub in Croydon is a good thing. Does it/will it be serving real ale at all?

TheMexicanHorse
11-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Remember 'The Cavalier' in Wallington Square? What a fiesty little place that was! :p

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4640021377_f0fd4972f6_z.jpg

TheMexicanHorse
11-06-2011, 06:33 PM
When did the Spreadeagle turn into a pub?

It was previously a bank wasn't it?

Was in there, and the Dog & Bull earlier today, still two of my favourite pubs in Croydon.

Away Day Eagle
11-06-2011, 06:42 PM

It was previously a bank wasn't it?

Was in there, and the Dog & Bull earlier today, still two of my favourite pubs in Croydon.

It was a Nat West IIRC.

The Royal Standard (under the Flyover) is worth a look as well, would have thought it's right up your street with the real ale.

La Bombonera
11-06-2011, 06:49 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4640021377_f0fd4972f6_z.jpg
Great pic. And just look at the square nowadays :( :p

jone-zee
11-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Great pic. And just look at the square nowadays :( :p

Top stuff!

bigboy
11-06-2011, 07:06 PM
....other clubs that come to mind back in the early 70s.....Top Rank suite (later Croydon suite), the Cartoon, the Zodiac Club....all at broad green (West Croydon)....
big time rep :lux:

Patrick Dwyer
11-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Used to work behind the bar in the evenings at the Orchid Ballroom as it was called in the 60's. Great place to meet the "Dolly birds" in those days.
Used to go to the band parties after the bar work, Ray McVay was the resident band at the time, and leave totally shagged out (literally) at about 3 in the morning. They were some nights! Then back to my day job at 9am.
The Orchid also had a revolving "Lager Bar". No-one drank lager in those days only Watneys Red Barrell...dreadful stuff. Anyway if I was put on the revolving bar (it wasn't at all busy) and it went gently round and round so I could see all the women without moving. It also had two buttons under the bar which would reverse the whole thing. So I would wait until a girl has one foot on the revolving part and one on the main floor and quickly press the reverse button. They usually went flying with mini skirts akimbo and allowing me to rush round and pick them up. Some were most grateful.
I dunno the extent we will go to pick up women!!

As a biker I used to hang out in the Saltbox club at the top of Saltbox Hill and a place called Annes Pantry up there in Biggin Hill. Lots of fights and big bikes and blokes getting regulaly creamed against a big tree halve-way down Saltbox Hill.

Loads of places in Croydon in the 60' to go to but mostly too pis$ed to remember.

I used to go fairly regularly to the Orchid Ballroom in the 60's. You might even have served me or my mate. Everything was as you described. Great place; lot of birds came up from Crawley if I remember. Often nipped down there by motor bike from the Hammersmith Palais if that proved 'unworkable' or got tired of Joe Loss.

le piddler
12-06-2011, 11:12 AM

Forgot all about that place!!!! bit of a hole to put it mildly! :o
Always a Greyhound man myself :afro:

Jim Cannon
18-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Think it was mid-late 90's the bank went well before then though.

AJ
18-06-2011, 12:08 PM

The CW's was my favourite "disco" type place in the 80s.

jone-zee
18-06-2011, 12:16 PM
There was also a Cats Whiskers in Wallington (Became the Spiders Web IIRC)