PDA

View Full Version : Classic games

Incognito
09-01-2007, 07:08 AM
After reading that the nintendo Wii is to release downloadable classic games i got to thinking about the classic's that i played as a kid.

I remember coming home from school to play Sid Meiers' original Pirates! on my Atari ST or of course loading up champ manager on my first pc. Later moving onto Gran Tourismo 2 and Resident Evil 2 as my all time favourite games.

Does anyone here have a rememberance of the game they first played, or they think is a classic ,or have modern games wiped all traces of their past masters?

Tomo
09-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Alex The Kid and Lion King. The best movie tie in game ever.

JAS78
09-01-2007, 07:37 AM
International Soccer on commadore 64 was like pro evo of it's time !

Legend of Zelda and Mario Kart later on SNES were two of my favourite ever games which spring to mind

Incognito
09-01-2007, 07:55 AM
I really had the urge to go down to gamestation and buy an old n64 the other day. Just to play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark again.

RickyB
09-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Tomo
Alex The Kid and Lion King. The best movie tie in game ever. Alex Kidd in Miracle World? :)

Me?

Donkey Kong on the ZX81 was my first game, closely followed by Football Manager (the original by Kevin J. Toms of Addictive games, of whom SI purchased the name for use as the game we know now).

Donkey Kong was great - the ZX81 only has 4 GFX pixels per character! His nipples were full stops and Mario was denoted by the letter 'M'. Barrels' were 'O'

Happy Days.

RickyB
09-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Incognito
I really had the urge to go down to gamestation and buy an old n64 the other day. Just to play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark again. Project 64? :)

http://www.pj64.net/

wholethedougin!
09-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I remember getting Alex the Kid, built into my Master System....awesome game, you used to have to memorise the "Paper, scissor, stone" sequence..! Also, Wonderboy throwing littlle hammers and getting a skateboard and who can forget that Ninja games, where you could dissapear and your threw daggers!! Pure mint, man!....then I remember getting a Megadrive, Sonic was amazing, as was NHL and Sensible Soccer....!

cumbrian_eagles
09-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Kick Off 2 and Goal on the amiga

Neil
09-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Combat and Space Invaders on the original Atari VCS :)

Stavros 69
09-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Goldeneye

wholethedougin!
09-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Stavros 69
Goldeneye

Hardly a classic! Next you will be saying Tony Hawkes or Sea Bass Fishing!

:o

East-End Eagle
09-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Tomo
Alex The Kid and Lion King. The best movie tie in game ever.

Lion King was a brilliant game! esp the bit where you had to swing from monkey to monkey.

wholethedougin!
09-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by East-End Eagle
Lion King was a brilliant game! esp the bit where you had to swing from monkey to monkey.

I remember in the morning before school trying to get passed that bit!! Me and my brother, one life each!! There were plenty of arguements!

Stavros 69
09-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by wholethedougin!
Hardly a classic! Next you will be saying Tony Hawkes or Sea Bass Fishing!

:o

Sir i beg to differ. Goldeneye was the best game of my generation.

wholethedougin!
09-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Stavros 69
Sir i beg to differ. Goldeneye was the best game of my generation.

I guess you must be about 22 or 23 then.....

Okay, I will let this one go........"But don't do it again.......":hmph:

eagle mart
09-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Golden Axe
Final Fight
Shinobi
Double Dragon (I used to elbow my way through that)

1942 - oh I have a story about that. It was in our hotel in Aiya Napa back in '99. We were going Cream at Pizazz and I had a bottle of M150 and disappeared off to the toilet. My mates wondered where I was, I was playing 1942 and got the record high score. They threatened to switch it off as I was using a banned substance. Until I pointed out it was legal in Cyprus.

Stavros 69
09-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by wholethedougin!
I guess you must be about 22 or 23 then.....

Okay, I will let this one go........"But don't do it again.......":hmph:

Spot on. It was the longest playing game i have ever owned and still dig it out and have a play every now and then.

RickyB
Aside from Pong the year or so before, this was my first proper 'console' - 1979 :eek: :)

RickyB
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=906&st=2

RickyB
09-01-2007, 01:01 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/1292_screenshot.jpg :D

se1eagle
09-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by cumbrian_eagles
Kick Off 2 and Goal on the amiga

KickOff 2 was just the best game of its time - I liked Goal but spent years solidly playing KickOff 2! I always used to listen to Palace away matches on the radio and set the strips to match the teams on the radio! Ahh happy days - if only the Amiga was still a force.

ffsear
09-01-2007, 01:32 PM
I was a PC kid always..

Anyone remember

Rex Nebular

http://www.members.tripod.com/~RNandtheCGB/pics/showhut.jpg

Monkey Island 2

http://www.64bits.se/guider/scummvm/monkey_island_2_dungeon.png

Mrs Neil
09-01-2007, 01:41 PM
The first games I played properly were GoldenEye and MarioKart 64, so they're definitely on my list. (I'm a bit older than Stavros though!)

Zelda Ocarina of Time is my all time classic. Have played it to completion about 6 times I think (including all side-quests).

(ps Ricky, great signature :p)

Mrs Neil
09-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh, and I keep playing the Banjo-Kazooie games too - I'm looking forward to the 3rd one on the XBox!

Swanny32
09-01-2007, 01:51 PM
For me it would have to be "How to be a complete bastard" on the ZX Spectrum, talking 87/88 or the Mario brothers on the Nes.

I was a massive fan of the very first championship manager as well which had no fancy pictures or scouting or anything like that, green screen, players and tactics all done by number selection.

Swanny32
09-01-2007, 01:54 PM
How to be a complete bastard - http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/howtobeacompletebastard.htm

One of the best games of all time.

Icy
09-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Sensible Soccer and Syndicate wars :p

cumbrian_eagles
09-01-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm younger than Stavros but my games are older, shows how early I became a geek :sob:

Oddjob
09-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Jet Set Willy

bwato
09-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Super Mario Kart on the SNES is still my all-time favourite game. Considering it came out 15 odd years ago it's amazing how many people still play it. I know the guy who runs the world records site (www.mariokart64.com/smk) there are still world records being broken week in week out and guys come from all round the world to meet up and play. So no the old games haven't been forgotten!

foetus eagle
09-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Elite - ZX Spectrum

The Daddy

Stavros 69
09-01-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm younger than Stavros but my games are older, shows how early I became a geek :sob:

When i was younger i was injury free and only played footy.

ffsear
09-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Icy
Syndicate wars :p

Yes!!!!! Now we are talking!

PalaceMonkey
09-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Player Manager by same peeps as Kick Off, C64 or Amiga can't rmember which

Loved it.

Also Alien Breed on the Amiga.

Erm Paradroid & Uridium.

Original Champ Man.

I liked 3d Ant Attack when Iwas with my mate with a spectrum

hakers
09-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Swanny32

I was a massive fan of the very first championship manager as well which had no fancy pictures or scouting or anything like that, green screen, players and tactics all done by number selection.

I remember the first one too (the pc version anyway), actually remember reading up a review for it. If i remember correctly it came out about the time the SNES was launched and came on 4 or 5 floppies :D

RickyB
09-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Neil
[B(ps Ricky, great signature :p) [/B] :lux: :lux: :) :love:

RickyB
09-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I outgeek almost all of you you biatches.

Incognito
09-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by RickyB
Project 64? :)

http://www.pj64.net/

Didn't Know about that, cheers mate :p

Oddjob
09-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Daley Thompsons Decathlon

East-End Eagle
09-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Skool Daze / back to school (speccy) - an extremely innovative game
Match Day Two (speccy)
Football Manager (speccy)

speedball 2 (amiga / megadrive)

cumbrian_eagles
09-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Oddjob

:lux: classic game, working for all those drinks just to waste them on the 100m to do it in under 4 seconds :D Then trying to do the long jump without any help, although I doubt the sandals helped ;)

Incognito
09-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by ffsear
I was a PC kid always..

Anyone remember

Rex Nebular

http://www.members.tripod.com/~RNandtheCGB/pics/showhut.jpg

Monkey Island 2

http://www.64bits.se/guider/scummvm/monkey_island_2_dungeon.png

Fantastic series of games, those and Day of the Tentacle were amazing. :)

stupalace
09-01-2007, 06:36 PM
matchday for the spectrum , was ahead of its time

Shane
09-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Knight Lore on the Spectrum was a classic. As was pretty much anything that Ultimate (now Rare) did around that time. I loved Underwurld and Atic Attac as well as Jetpac (god I feel old). Other Speccy greats (sorry if they have been already) are Ant Attack, Fairlight and Match Point Tennis.

The first console I had was the old Atari VCS which was superb at the time. I remember sitting there playing through Raiders of the Lost Ark and then Pitfall pretty much solidly throughout the six week summer holidays :eek:

More recently, nothing has really hooked me as much as the first time I powered on Super Mario 64 on the N64. The graphics were amazing as was the gameplay as it retained the Mario charm. I loved the N64 controller.:lux:

This is a great thread by the way as it is stirring up some superb memories.

Shane
09-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Oddjob

The game that destroyed the keyboard membrane (letters N & M IIRC) of my Spectrum.

Loved that game! :p

RickyB
09-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Incognito
Didn't Know about that, cheers mate :p PM me if you need any help :p

RickyB
09-01-2007, 10:53 PM
:lux: classic game, working for all those drinks just to waste them on the 100m to do it in under 4 seconds :D Then trying to do the long jump without any help, although I doubt the sandals helped ;) Used to go to my mates house during lunch break from school to play that :)

1983?

RickyB
09-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Elite is, was, and I think probably always will be my number one game of all time.

Very, very few games have ever come close to that level of immersion.

IIRC

Harmless - 16- kills
Mostly Harmless - 32
Average - 64
Above Average - 128
Competant - 256
Dangerous - 512
Deadly -1024
Elite - 2056 kills

Something like that, but can't quite remember.

It ruled!

.. But then, there was Chuckie Egg :lux:

RickyB
09-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Actually, answers.com says:

Trivia
In order to meet Wikipedia's quality standards, this article's trivia section requires cleanup.
Content in the trivia section should be integrated into other appropriate areas of the article.

* The BBC version calculated Elite ratings based on the total number of kills, not the difficulty of a kill. Harmless to Mostly
Harmless took 2 kills, 8 kills were needed to reach Poor, 24 for Average, 44 for Above Average, 130 for Competent and 512 kills to reach Dangerous. The last two ratings required a staggering number of kills with 2,560 needed for Deadly and 6,400 for the particularly persistent Elites. Non BBC ports used their own scoring system. ArcElite is particularly difficult, with 50 kills required to reach just Mostly Harmless.[5]

So I was completely wrong.

RickyB
09-01-2007, 11:06 PM
actually, that's bullshit, they missed mostly harmless. Looks crap to me.

RickyB
09-01-2007, 11:11 PM
I was a massive fan of the very first championship manager as well which had no fancy pictures or scouting or anything like that, green screen, players and tactics all done by number selection. Green screen? were you playing on a green monitor? First CM was on the Amiga and in Full techni-color.

Incognito
10-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Green screen? were you playing on a green monitor? First CM was on the Amiga and in Full techni-color.

lol, green screen monitor, that takes me back. I remember my Amstrad CPC464, it took ages for the tapes to load the game and then it would stall at the last second.

imashed
10-01-2007, 06:45 AM
the old coin op games galaxsian and phoenix

Boyandy
10-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Retrogamer is a pretty good read for anyone interested in reliving their childhood. Can get a bit too geeky at times though.

For me:

Renegade
Split Personalities
Green Beret

All Spectrum.

Double Dragon (with optional new graphics) and Sensible World of Soccer are coming to XBLA in the next couple of months.

Result!

The Omen
10-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Dune 2 (PC)
Syndicate (The original) (PC)
Meglomania (Sega)
Wing Commander (PC)
Sensible World of Soccer (Loved all the fake teams) (Amiga)
Leisure Suit Larry (PC)
Kings Quest (PC)
Police Quest (PC)
Chase HQ (Amiga)
Interceptor (Amiga)
Monkey Island (Amiga/PC)
The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
Championship Manager (PC/Amiga)
Return to castle Wolfinstein (PC)
Mike Tyson's Punch Out (Nintendo)
Track and Field (Nintendo)
Double Dribble (Think that is what it was called - Nintendo)
Mega Man (Nintendo)
Pro Wrestling (Nintendo)
Nintendo World Cup (Nintendo)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Street Fighter 2 (SNES - 70 quid when released!!)
Ghost Busters (C64)
Goonies 2 (Nintendo)
Maniac Mansion (Nintendo)
Spy vs Spy (Nintendo)
Super Mario 3 (Nintendo)
Super Star Wars (SNES)

Lots of other football manager games too on the C64 although I can't remember the names now.

Also forget the name of one great game where you could fight while racing motorbikes. On the Sega I think.

The Omen
10-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Nintendo World Cup was great. You could knock out the other team players and then score a super overhead kick from your own half! They don't make them like this anymore... :(

http://tnca.myrmid.com/reviews/nwcgfx.gif

The Omen
10-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Beach Head 2: The Dictator Strikes Back (C64)
Bruce Lee (C64)
Sam and Max (PC)
Soccer Boss (C64)

Swanny32
10-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Green screen? were you playing on a green monitor? First CM was on the Amiga and in Full techni-color.

I distinctly remember it being on our first computer in the house, my old man managed to get it loaded on to the computer by his bosses son who i think was friends with one of the blokes that came up with CM, although don't quote me on that. The game was a prototype and was the hardest bloody game i had ever played, although i was only about 7/8 at the time.

It's not really much of a classic but one of my favorite games of all time is Formula 1 97 on the PS1, cracking game!

East-End Eagle
10-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Shane

The first console I had was the old Atari VCS which was superb at the time. I remember sitting there playing through Raiders of the Lost Ark and then Pitfall pretty much solidly throughout the six week summer holidays :eek:

brilliant games! both of them. Even my Mum liked to play pitfall and she has never played any sort of comuputer before or since!

Batsta
10-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Sensible Soccer on my Amiga 600.

I'm looking forward to playing It again on the 360 In a couple of months :)

RickyB
10-01-2007, 09:57 AM
I distinctly remember it being on our first computer in the house, my old man managed to get it loaded on to the computer by his bosses son who i think was friends with one of the blokes that came up with CM, although don't quote me on that. The game was a prototype and was the hardest bloody game i had ever played, although i was only about 7/8 at the time.

It's not really much of a classic but one of my favorite games of all time is Formula 1 97 on the PS1, cracking game! The first version of CM, you could just play a 1-0-5-5 formation and you'd spank the oppo 5 or 6 nil :)

Peter Ndlovu was in that first game and was an ace buy.

He's still in this game, but he's shite now :)

Martouf
20-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Banjo-Kazooie :lux: :p
And Banjo-Tooie is great too.

Mrs Neil
20-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Yup, two of my all-time favourites: Jinjo & Jiggy hunting! :lux:

srs9jps
20-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I remember playing a game on the spectrum where you were a footballer and had to build up a career- based on the number of stars acculmulated during games. A cross would come over and you had the choice of volley for 1 star, head for 2 stars bicycle kick for 5 stars and if you scored you got the stars and became a better player.

Anyone know what I'm on about?? What was it called?

Ollie Ox
20-01-2007, 11:45 PM
I lost many years of my life to mariokart, would love to play it again! also loved manic miner.

Stanley Techer
21-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender (PC)
Super Soccer (SNES)
Ultimate Soccer Manager (PC)
Champ Man (PC)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World (MS)
Perfect Dark (N64)
SF2 (SNES)
Mortal Kombat (MD)
Mario Kart (SNES)
Arkanoid (Spec)
Operation Wolf (Spec)

Too many more to remember!

Skid Row
21-01-2007, 01:04 AM
My favourites

Atari = Hero. Adventure.
C64 = Superstar Soccer. Yie Ar Kung Fu. Rygar. Hounded. 4th & Inches. World Games. California Games. Tusker. I could be here all day.
Amiga = Fire and Ice. Sensible Soccer. Cinemaware Basketball.
PC = Monkey Island series. Might and Magic series.

kitticat
21-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Streets of Rage 1 & 2 on the megadrive a classic beat em up Blaze kicked ass!!!
Buggy Boy and Paper Boy on the Commodore 64 (Yes I had one of those too)

Adlerhorst
21-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Pirates was ace
The first version of CM on the amiga - i also bought Mark Pembridge.
Speedball 2

LSEagle
21-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Did anyone ever play this on the C64?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/HunterPatrolGame.gif

Absolution
21-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Goldeneye was a classic, me and a couple mates dug out an old 64 to play this about a year ago. Sadly the controllers were all screwed.

RickyB
21-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by LSEagle
Did anyone ever play this on the C64?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/HunterPatrolGame.gif Yup :p Classic Rob Hubbard theme tune :)

pallet
21-01-2007, 02:33 PM
I had a little handheld pacman which I loved. Anyone else have Intel thing, it was a console which at the time 20 odd years ago had an excellent football game.

RickyB
21-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Mattel Intellivision :p

100% Palace
21-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by srs9jps
I remember playing a game on the spectrum where you were a footballer and had to build up a career- based on the number of stars acculmulated during games. A cross would come over and you had the choice of volley for 1 star, head for 2 stars bicycle kick for 5 stars and if you scored you got the stars and became a better player.

Anyone know what I'm on about?? What was it called?

I remember this, but have no idea what it was called!

pallet
21-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Mattel Intellivision :p

Thats the baby, looking back the players were like stick men and the ball took a week to move.

RickyB
21-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Footballer of the year by Gremlin Graphics?

Chris K
21-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Super Mario 3 (Nes)
Ye Ar Kung Fu (Spectrum)
On The Bench (Spectrum)
Match Day 2 (Spectrum)
Rollercoaster (Spectrum)
Super Mario Land (Gameboy)
Treble Champions (Spectrum)
Super Hunchback (Gameboy)
Super Ghouls n Ghosts (Snes)
Mario World (Snes)
Mario Kart (Snes)
Cannon Fodder (Megadrive)
NHL 93 (Megadrive)
Treasure Island Dizzy (Spectrum)
Manic Miner (Spectrum)
Super Tennis (Snes)
Final Fight (Snes)

Brumie Allan
21-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Lemmings on the Atari St wasted a lot of my life and still could Lemmings on line (http://www.funnygames.nl/games/denk/2399_popup.html)

Batsta
28-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Nicked from the youtube thread. 100 Amiga games.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoJBerFDsA

The list of games Is In the description. So many memories.

Palace Eagle
28-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Tracksuit Manager - Commodore 64
Emlyn Hughes' (somthing) soccer - Also C64
Manic Miner
Defender of the Crown - Atari ST
California Games - Megadrive
Royal Rumble - SNES Style

xab
30-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Palace Eagle
Defender of the Crown - Atari ST