PDA

View Full Version : who's got the loudest fans in britain

racehorse-80s
17-01-2007, 07:39 PM
What club in Britain has the most vocal fans on average home and away?

monkoid
17-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by racehorse-80s

Pompey

plonker
Sheffield Wednesday would be a contender for me.

Tony Montana
Boston

LSEagle
17-01-2007, 07:47 PM
On average it's probably a small non-league team that you've never heard of

Shef Sky Blue
17-01-2007, 07:51 PM
southend

Oh south london
17-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Pompey has to be

King William
17-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by racehorse-80s

the skates.

there was an "official" survey with noise levels taken at all 92 grounds

racehorse-80s
17-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by monkoid
Pompey

Agree but Millwall are very close when they turn out in force which is very rare these days.

crystal essex
17-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Celtic fans would be my shout.

Seba
17-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Pompey only because they have a big drum. Give me one and i'll be louder!

Samo*
17-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Shall we sing a song for you? Shall we sing a song for you?

Samo*
17-01-2007, 08:29 PM
and u and u and u and u

Scarface
17-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Pompey or Rangers I'd say!

waddoneagle
17-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I like the way people assume Rangers and Celtic in Scotland, I think you will find Hearts are as loud if not louder than both, And going back a few years Dundee United.:p

Samo*
17-01-2007, 08:42 PM
we can be loud sometimes

palace & proud
17-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Pompey always vocal even without a drum.

Pikie Punisher
17-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Seba
Give me one and i'll be louder!

Oo-er Missis!

17-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Pompy fans are over-rated completely, they only sound loud on match of the day because there cameras and microphones are right under the core singers at fratton park.

the atmosphere is dead in the uk, there is no team that stands out as having loud and passionate supporters,

ill go for celtic, but Englands support is dieing fast, without re-introducing terraces the whole atmosphere is going to die.

http://www.standupsitdown.co.uk/

KevMason98
17-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Loudest fans I can remember when going away!

Man City Away 1980 (although we were right next to them under cover Kippax I think)

Newcastle away last game of the season 1996 I think (can't be sure) lost 3-2. Relegated!!

Liverpool away league cup 1996 again I think (After clint wound them up) Lost 5-0.

At Selhurst. Millwall or Norwich when given the whole Arfur Wait in recent years.

And us - Away Cardiff Play off final 2003 or ZDS 91 (mainly becuse of numbers) If they don't count I would say

Sheff Utd at home last season. Lost 1-0, but played with passion. With the whole Holmesdale in full voice. I was in the Main Stand that day. Deafening!

p4penny
17-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Have been to many Pompey matches at Fratton Park and they always sound very loud. As my other half who is a season ticket holder there says...'Empty vessels make most noise!'....Enough said!

Oh south london
17-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by 007
Pompy fans are over-rated completely, they only sound loud on match of the day because there cameras and microphones are right under the core singers at fratton park.

the atmosphere is dead in the uk, there is no team that stands out as having loud and passionate supporters,

ill go for celtic, but Englands support is dieing fast, without re-introducing terraces the whole atmosphere is going to die.

As much as i want standing back at Football i do not know how that will help that much.

More and more supporters are standing in the premiership and still you say the atmoshere is dieing. Well if it is then it will come back because standing is the Taylor report has been found out.

Also atmospheres are not dead in the UK Spurs, West Ham, Everton, United, Liverpool always make good noise.

As for our support we just need to keep plugging away

Putney Eagle
17-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Man U is my shout

Pretty loud away from home and I went to Old Trafford this season to see them play against Newcastle - loads of anti Leeds/Liverpool/Man City songs - loud there too

Selhurst Celtic
17-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Celtic. No contest.

palace & proud
17-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Putney Eagle
Man U is my shout

There atmosphere at Old Trafford is like being in church!!!:eek:

jamesyg0
17-01-2007, 09:57 PM
What he said ^^

Putney Eagle
17-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by palace & proud

a bit of a myth really - pretty loud and noisy where I was standing...

Selhurst Celtic
17-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I despise Man Utd as much as the next man but they can be very loud and have a large array of songs. :(

They are scum though. :)

Roker Park could be loud in it's day.

waddoneagle
17-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Celtic fan hating Manure:D I will tell Rod:p I went to a derby game at Tynecastle in the early 80's, That was very loud.

Selhurst Celtic
17-01-2007, 11:08 PM
"H. E. A. R. T. S, if ye cannae spell it then here's what it says
Hearts Hearts glorious Hearts it's down in Tynecastle we bide
The boys in maroon are the talk of the toon
And Auld Reekie supports us with pride..."

Agree that it was pretty loud on my one visit to Tynecastle with Celtic. I'm hoping to go to an Edinburgh derby game one day. One of my mates is a Jambo and is always banging on about it. (Hence me knowing the words to their song which they play before the games... And a few other songs they sing as well. Probably not wise to post them on here though! :D )

Oh, and I'd go in with the Hibees of course. ;) :p

No4 Son
17-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by palace & proud

Spot on !

Selhurst Celtic
17-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Having said that I agree that Old Trafford can make a noise I may as well go for the hatrick, hey? The Old Den and Ibrox have also knocked out a loud noise. .
:(

I feel sick now. Off to scrub myself with a scouring pad and go to bed.

[Edit - I didn't sleep a wink last night because of the above post. :( ]

East-End Eagle
18-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Northern Ireland for international teams. Awesome.

HAte to say it, but man u away are good, always a large variety of songs.
Pompey always get behind their team.
Still impressed by the 500 or so Wigan fans about 3 seasons ago!

Wolves at home used to be impressive, but seem to be fading bif time.

Jim Bhoy
18-01-2007, 08:29 AM
I would say Celtic, but then I'm biased. When Liverpool play You'll Never Walk Alone before their home games it is actually a recording of Celtic fans singing this song. All football fans should go to an Old Firm game at least once, there is no atmosphere like it anywhere else.

Rangers, Portsmouth, Millwall, Man Utd and Newcastle are all very loud on their day. Wolves in the play-off semi-final 2nd leg in 1997 is the best atmosphere I've ever seen at a Palace game though.

Palaceboy222
18-01-2007, 08:53 AM
The best home fans I have seen are Hull and Pompy

The best away fans; Plymouth, Torquay, Newcastle, Ipswich and Pompy

I would have put Norwich in, but they were dire this season

Away Day Eagle
18-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by KevMason98
illwall or Norwich when given the whole Arfur Wait in recent years.

And us - Away Cardiff Play off final 2003 or ZDS 91 (mainly becuse of numbers) If they don't count I would say

!

CPFC - FA Cup Semi final 1990.

I worked in Liverpool about 5 years later. I worked with a fella that followed Liverpool everywhere.

He said to me that day that we did his head in how loud we sang at 3-3 & 4-3 and it was the loudest singing he'd ever heard.

High praise indeed.

waddoneagle
18-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Selhurst Celtic
"H. E. A. R. T. S, if ye cannae spell it then here's what it says
Hearts Hearts glorious Hearts it's down in Tynecastle we bide
The boys in maroon are the talk of the toon
And Auld Reekie supports us with pride..."

Agree that it was pretty loud on my one visit to Tynecastle with Celtic. I'm hoping to go to an Edinburgh derby game one day. One of my mates is a Jambo and is always banging on about it. (Hence me knowing the words to their song which they play before the games... And a few other songs they sing as well. Probably not wise to post them on here though! :D )

Oh, and I'd go in with the Hibees of course. ;) :p

I have a Hearts CD in my car at the moment.:p

NB Hibees are Gay:)

Lord Flange
18-01-2007, 10:37 AM
This whole pompey things really winds me up. They may be loud but their repertoire of songs is awful. "Blue army" droning over and over again with a sh*tty drum probably being beaten by that f*ckwit pikey who wears no vest and is covered in tatoos. I cant see how they inspire their team with that crap.

As much as it pains me the loudest and by far the best are Man U for me :grrr:

Dirty Northener
18-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Leeds Utd
Sheff Weds
Pompy

They are the best for me and as well as making noise always take really large away support with them to most games

We can be loud away from home too when we have smaller amounts there, i find when we take 750-1500 range we are really loud as the singers get to stand together but when we take more and you are forced to sit in your designated seat the atmosphere is rubbish

Buglebob
18-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Jim Bhoy
Wolves in the play-off semi-final 2nd leg in 1997
Without doubt the loudest I have ever experienced at any football match. On the rare occasion that the Wolves fans all get going, I think they have the best accoustics of any stadium in the country.

Oli28
18-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Luton were very loud when we played them in September.

Away Day Eagle
18-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Oli28

:confused:

eh ?

Alex_S
18-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Portsmouth are definitly the loudest home fans on a normal matchday.

Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle etc only get going when its a big game. Pompey are loud whoever they play.

As for away fans, lots of teams have a claim...even Palace are pretty noisy on our day :D

Alex_S
18-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Oli28

Luton were quiet as mice. The only bit of noise from the chavs we were having "banter"/words with on the far left hand side (facing pitch from away end) near their side stand.

ice_man30
18-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Eastbourne borough are loud :D

New LP
18-01-2007, 06:21 PM
West Brom alwas impress me with the noise the make.

New LP
18-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by KevMason98

Liverpool away league cup 1996 again I think (After clint wound them up) Lost 5-0.

probably the loadest support I've ever heard from us and we lost 5-0.

Eagles_wh
18-01-2007, 06:36 PM
wasnt that 2001?

joyce the voice
18-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Loudest I've ever heard was Man U away when we beat them 2-1 (1990?) They were all singing "Fergie out"--it was deafening; wish they'd taken their own advice

KevMason98
19-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle

I worked in Liverpool about 5 years later. I worked with a fella that followed Liverpool everywhere.

He said to me that day that we did his head in how loud we sang at 3-3 & 4-3 and it was the loudest singing he'd ever heard.

High praise indeed.

ADE,
I've posted this on another thread somewhere. I was in the stand to the left of you guys and was right at the back. Could't see naff all. Just before kick off moved to the front of the stand usually used for the press. If you remember it was the first televised Sunday fa cup semis. Half the press weren't there. I ended up jumping over about 3 sets of seats in wild celebrations. Wild. I got the strangest look from a really good looking woman at one stage. Couple of the Liverpool fans shook my hand and wished us good luck at the end! Mad Mad day!

Journey home was magnificent

tasty_snacks
19-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by 007

:sob:

racehorse-80s
19-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle

High praise indeed.

fantastic weekeend stayed in bedworth town night before full of Palace got well pi**ed and remember my mate getting a local football team trophy out of a cabinet in a pub and holding it above his head and everyone singing were going win the cup all good natured fun and the landlord even saw the funny side .
my abiding memory as far as noise in villa park goe's can only remember how shocked and stunned into silence the scouser's where.

grahampoint
20-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by crystal essex
Celtic fans would be my shout.

Parkhead is like a morgue unless it is a european night and they have been drinking buckfast all day before game.

N
20-01-2007, 06:13 PM
When they were good would have to be Leeds for me.

Maloy
20-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Plymouth's away support is really something else, i've never seen pompey play in the flesh so can't really comment but i was impressed with Everton when they came a few years back.

but for me, plymouth are the best in the country on the road.

at home, Liverpool