PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of Macken

The Gerry Queen
22-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Since leaving us John Macken has played 3 games for Derby who have lost them all ! (They've hardly lost all season so far )
The Rams are out of the Cup and top of the league by 6 points but I think but at this rate if they persist with Macken in the team they will even miss the Play Offs !
Even Billy Davies was on record saying what a valuable addition he is to their squad. What is it with Macken? He's still dining out on one good season at Preston five years and four clubs ago. I don't think he's even scored more than 15 goals since then. Must have something else about him then ?

Selhurst Celtic
22-02-2007, 09:49 AM
He's a hungry player. Always has an appetite. Constantly chomping at the bit (of fried chicken).

ZOHAR
22-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Its the curse of Mack the knife....

Obviously its a steak knife though!

davematt
22-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Davies has screwed up big time me thinks. Yes, he had a small squad, but that was the squad that got them to the top of the Championship. He has now added about 5-6 players in January and me thinks it has caused some unrest (Apparantly their is a huge issue regarding promotion bonuses as well) Their form is starting to dip.

Oh south london
22-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Derby will not go up.

It will be West Brom, Saints and Sunderland.

As for Maken im glad we have got rid of him. Bad move from Billy Davies

Alex_S
22-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Thank you Billy Davies for taking him off our hands :D

Can't believe he saw something in Macken when we was our 5th choice striker in probably our poorest pool of strikers in any palace squad for the last 10 years.

cantspell
22-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Thought he looked far better in Derby colours when I watched the highlights at the weekend than he ever did for us

Matt25
22-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by cantspell
Thought he looked far better in Derby colours when I watched the highlights at the weekend than he ever did for us

You know what they say about stripes and fatties though ;)

sydnsteve
23-02-2007, 12:34 PM

not a difficult thing to do TBH

sydnsteve
23-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Derby will not go up.

As for Maken im glad we have got rid of him. Bad move from Billy Davies

My 3 also.

limited_edition
23-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Thought he looked far better in Derby colours when I watched the highlights at the weekend than he ever did for us Macken actually ran for the ball at Derby. I've never seen him do more than a slight jog in Palace colours.

sydnsteve
28-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Macken actually ran for the ball at Derby.

Then ate it.

ebyeeckeagle
01-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Derby will not go up.

I had a big punt early season on WBA, Brum and Saints. I think you are right about Sunderland coming in betwixt them:( :sob:

Clapham Grand
11-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Saints have blown up

Oh south london
11-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Saints have blown up

Agreed think they will be staying down this year.

I would put money on Wolves going up now they have read momentum.

Lukey- Boi-CPFC
21-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Then ate it.

:D LOL!!!

ZOHAR
16-05-2007, 10:40 AM
INTERVIEW : Jon Macken - Derby

Jon Macken has had one taste of the Premiership with Manchester City. Unfortunately for the striker his 5m move from Preston didn't work out as planned. After a short spell with Crystal Palace, he has a chance to reach the big time once more if Derby can see their way past Southampton tonight at Pride Park. Givemefootball's Ian Clarkson caught up with the centre forward to see if he was confident of reaching potentially the most lucrative fixture on the football calendar.

Q: IS IT IMPORTANT TO STAY ON THE FRONT FOOT TONIGHT?

A: Definitely. I do think we create chances and do try to play football. And that's the way we will try to approach it. We can't really sit back because there's nothing in this tie. Southampton have done well away from home this season. It's another game and we need another good result. We are looking forward to it.

Q: WHAT'S YOUR PLAY-OFF EXPERIENCE?

A: I've been in the play-offs three times, twice in the semi finals and once in the final. And I've not won yet! With the play-offs, you kind of don't want to be there when you have finished third like we have, but you want to play in the games when they come around.

Q: IS THERE ANY COMMON THEME THAT YOU HAVE PICKED UP ON AS TO WHAT MAKES A SUCCESSFUL SIDE AT THIS STAGE?

A: In general, you've not got to think about it too much. If you do, you are thinking about it 24/7. I think that's the key to try to put what it means to the back of your mind. It's a case of just relaxing as much as possible. Big games like that you chill out and do what you have been doing all season because that's what has got you into the play-offs. The fact is - any of the four sides can win it. I think it's quite evenly matched this season. We were eight points clear of the rest but you need to go out there and win three more games.

Q: WHAT'S STEVE HOWARD LIKE?

A: His goals speak for themselves. The one at St Mary's was a great header and got us back into the game. Great lad, handful as a striker and a good bloke.

Q: WERE YOU SURPRISED TO GET THE CALL IN JANUARY?

A: A bit surprised, yes, but when you hear the manager on the phone, then you want to come and sign for this football club. He wants to go forward and to play. It was just a case of being the wrong player at the wrong time for Crystal Palace.

Q: AND IT WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO SCORE YOUR FIRST GOAL, TONIGHT?

A: I have been creating the chances in the past couple of games. That's given me confidence. I think they will come sooner rather than later if I keep going as I am.

Q: DO YOU SEE THIS AS A SECOND CHANCE AT THE PREMIERSHIP?

A: When I signed for Palace, they had expectations of going up as well. But when you sign for Derby and see the set-up at the club - the facilities - it should be there. I didn't play at lot when I was with Manchester City. It was a great experience, but I had a few injury problems there. I started off okay, scored a few goals, but picked up an injury that kept me out for a couple of months and it was difficult to drag it back from there.

Q: THE MANAGER HAS SIGNED A FEW PLAYERS WITH A POINT TO PROVE...

A: Well, yes he has, but you can talk about it all you want. It's about performances on the pitch. That's all that matters, what you do out there, and tonight's a massive game. Massive.

http://www.givemefootball.com/interviews.html?interviewID=1346

Shoreditch CPFC
17-05-2007, 03:33 PM
is he actually making the team?

oz_da II
17-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Shoreditch CPFC
is he actually making the team?

Started, subbed after the hour.

philsick
17-05-2007, 08:16 PM
played well and hit the post with a beauty in the 1st leg.

beef
17-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Good luck Macken...just don't come back.

Herr Colonpharter
22-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Q: What's the difference between John Macken and an arthritic tortoise?

A: ..............?...........??...................??? .............????

No4 Son
23-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Tortoise has got more pace?

Palaceboy222
12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Herr Colonpharter
Q: What's the difference between John Macken and an arthritic tortoise?

A: ..............?...........??...................??? .............???? John Macken's a Premiership footballer...???