PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Beckham

bern5161
25-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Time for Beckham to be reinstated. McLaren's attempt to break with the Erikkson era has ended in complete failure and surely even he now realises that he needs Beckham's ability to deliver from the right side of midfield to save his job. Capello was big enough to admit he was wrong to axe Beckham and now looks like being rewarded with the Spanish league title. Isn't it time for McLaren
to make the only sensible decision of his short, disasterous reign as England manager?

JHJ EAGLE
25-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Here bloody here.

Mind you the quicker than inane grinning idiot we call a national team manager gets the boot the better!

MikeyDread
25-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Here Bloody here part 2

Beckham should be recalled, McLaren has got to go

Baffled Bob 2
25-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Sorry, but I just don't get the clamour for Beckham to return.

Not good enough I'm afraid.

Contrary to myth, he hasn't won La Liga single-handedly for Real.

(But if someone starts a bring back Paul Scholes thread, I'll sign up straight away)

James Codd
25-05-2007, 12:06 PM
He is fit

Potton Eagle
25-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I think its too late to bring him back now to be honest though he should have done it earlier or not dropped him from the squad in the first place. Even England should be capable of beating Estonia without Beckham and by the time the more important qualifying games come round he will be playing Mickey Mouse football.

dee eff
25-05-2007, 12:12 PM
For what it's worth I thought McClaren's complete lack of respect shown towards Beckham in his eagerness to make a statement after the World Cup was nothing short of a disgrace although it seemed I was in the distinct minority when I voiced this at the time.

I seem to remember pretty much everyone applauding McClaren's decision to drop Beckham after the World Cup commenting how he was now 'dead wood'. This coupled with the fact that 90% of England fans haven't even seen him kick a ball this season makes this turnaround of public opinion a bit odd.

Selhurst300
25-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Past it now.
If he was serious about wanting to play for England, he wouldn't be playing in a low-quality league in the USA next season.

macstar
25-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Baffled Bob 2
Sorry, but I just don't get the clamour for Beckham to return.

Contrary to myth, he hasn't won La Liga single-handedly for Real.

(But if someone starts a bring back Paul Scholes thread, I'll sign up straight away)

he has been in great form for Real though, and is giving 110% every game, so surely he does deserve a recall, BUT... i dont believe he is necessarily the answer.

getting rid of some numptys at the FA and Steve MacLaren IS the answer.

zuper zalace
25-05-2007, 12:19 PM

he's better than lennon (on current form), wright-phillips, pennant, bentley and it would mean stevie g in the middle and fat frank on the bench.

the excuse of 'looking to future' is a farce when phil neville is continually selected for the 1st team squad.

racehorse-80s
25-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst300
Past it now.
If he was serious about wanting to play for England, he wouldn't be playing in a low-quality league in the USA next season.

His currently playing out of his skin and has a real chance of getting a spanish league medal and who would seriously not accept the offer from the US after Mclaren ditched.

Shipp Ahoy!
25-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Have to say I would recall him, but then again if I was Beckham I would probably tell him where to stick it.

davematt
25-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Would be GREAT :p

dee eff
25-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by macstar
he has been in great form for Real though, and is giving 110% every game, so surely he does deserve a recall, BUT... i dont believe he is necessarily the answer.

getting rid of some numptys at the FA and Steve MacLaren IS the answer.

England are currently underperforming because of Michael Owen's absence.

When Owen plays he scores something like 70% of all England's goals.

It really is as simple as that.

brighton_eagle
He's only 32? He could have 3 or 4 more good years to him yet. I think he could still have a lot to offer the England team. Making dropping him into some big issue, and a permanent choice, was a fecking stupid idea by the florid faced idiot McClaren.

kolinkins
He's certainly worthy of a place in the starting XI.

Les Butler
25-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Even I have to admit we lost something when Becks was given the elbow,we seemed to lose the heart of the team with no one there to replace it.

Becks is playing well in a top team in Europe that could win their league, that's enough when you think Owen could be back after not playing with a crap team in England.

Face it, we became very,very ordinary without him.

Scifo
25-05-2007, 12:25 PM
There was nothing wrong in the World Cup. It was the other teams fault for not letting England play well that caused them to be sh*te

MikeyDread
25-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst300
Past it now.

He is not past it and the job of a manager is to play the best available team. If that is taken as a given then Beckham deserves his place.

At the moment with the Euro qualifiers we do not need to play 'pretty' football but gain some results and Beckhams free kicks, corners, passion should have got him an automatic place albeit even if not captain.

McLaren's arrogance is the problem - this will crucify him. He has never been worthy nor will he ever have the credentials, nouse or ability to manage England. The reicarnation of Graham Taylor at his worst.

'How I do not like that...' :eek:

dowieslovechild
25-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by MikeyDread
He is not past it and the job of a manager is to play the best available team. If that is taken as a given then Beckham deserves his place.

At the moment with the Euro qualifiers we do not need to play 'pretty' football but gain some results and Beckhams free kicks, corners, passion should have got him an automatic place albeit even if not captain.

McLaren's arrogance is the problem - this will crucify him. He has never been worthy nor will he ever have the credentials, nouse or ability to manage England. The reicarnation of Graham Taylor at his worst.

'How I do not like that...' :eek:

In reference to McLaren's teeth "How I do not like Orange" :D

andyocpfc
25-05-2007, 12:39 PM
He should definately be called up. If Mclaren doesnt its because of pride and thats totally out of order as he should be doing the best for England. When DB plays we have desire, energy whilst also having the element of class and guile. Basically everything we dont have when he does not play!

Yes he's 32, whoopie! He keeps himself fit and plays in one of the best leagues in the world if not the best.....and shines. Look at Teddy Sheringham, still playing in the prem league at the age of 40! Arguably you could say the prem league and La liga are harder than a lot of international teams.

If your good enough, your young enough.

SpikeyMatt
25-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm undecided.

On current form at Madrid he's well worth a call-up but I feel England have the potential to be a good side without Beckham providing that McClaren sorts out the midfield, meaning one of Gerrard and Lampard, once and for all.

I don't know whether recalling Beckham would be a step backwards, though on his current form it's very hard to ignore him...

AJ
25-05-2007, 12:50 PM
If he is playing well enough to merit a place then he should be recalled. As with ALL players eligible to play for England. Players should not get a place because of their name or their club, it should be on merit alone.

Stavros 69
25-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Should have never been dropped. Was a disgusting move and never got the send off he deserved. Bring him back.

beef
25-05-2007, 01:02 PM
He needs to be in the squad IMO.

Santos-er
25-05-2007, 01:03 PM

MikeyDread
25-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by SpikeyMatt
I'm undecided.

On current form at Madrid he's well worth a call-up but I feel England have the potential to be a good side ...

Oh well then lets wait another 41 years to win the world cup... with potnetial like that we need all the bloody help we can get :eek:

GDP
25-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by dee eff
For what it's worth I thought McClaren's complete lack of respect shown towards Beckham in his eagerness to make a statement after the World Cup was nothing short of a disgrace although it seemed I was in the distinct minority when I voiced this at the time.

Agree 100%

Beckham, with Gerrard, has been Englands best performer since the new year and deserves to be in the squad.

Baffled Bob 2
25-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Les Butler
Face it, we became very,very ordinary without him.

As opposed to the worldbeaters that put Trinidad and Paraguay to the sword

:rolleyes:

Baffled Bob 2
25-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by AJ
it should be on merit alone.

No it shouldn't.

If Beckham and Lennon were playing comparably you'd surely have to pick the younger man?

Even if Lennon were playing slightly less well he should be picked

GDP
25-05-2007, 01:39 PM
No it shouldn't.

If Beckham and Lennon were playing comparably you'd surely have to pick the younger man?

But we're not talking about Beckham starting, its about him playing well enough and should be in the squad.

I agree a fit and confident Lennon should be picked in front of Beckham but he deserves a place on the bench.

Jim Bhoy
25-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I'd like England to bring back Carlton Palmer, Andy Sinton, Tony Daley and Graham Taylor as manager (although Steve McClaren is doing a fine job at the moment).

As for Beckham, he's never been World class, but I can't name 22 English players that are better than him. Jenas, Downing and Richardson are awful but that doesn't stop them getting picked.

Elephant with mouse gyp
25-05-2007, 02:05 PM
No it shouldn't.

Exactly right.

If he'd stayed in Europe I would edge against bringing him back, but there's also the thing with Beckham about to be playing on the west coast of America in a low level league. In my mind, he wrote himself out of contention with that move.

brighton_eagle
25-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Why?

Anyway, it's a spurious argument. They are totally different types of players. Surely you'd have both in the squad, and deploy them according to your tactics on the day.

brighton_eagle
25-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Exactly right.

If he'd stayed in Europe I would edge against bringing him back, but there's also the thing with Beckham about to be playing on the west coast of America in a low level league. In my mind, he wrote himself out of contention with that move.

I wonder if he'd have made that move if he hadn't been told his international career was over?

zonin2000
25-05-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't want to keep repeating myself, but Sheffield United, Watford, Wigan, Man City, Fulham etc would get murdered by some MLS sides.

If anything, Becks would be fresher and fitter than any other England player going into Euro 2008. I can see him playing in South Africa 2010.

RDSdaEAGLE
25-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Careful Mike, Sky Sports have had their say, the Premier League is the worlds greatest invention in football ever!!!

I was a critic of Beckham, but he has been outstanding for Real, and the way that McLaren dumped him out of the set-up seems to have made him even more determined.

Compared to Lennon, who is not creative enough (yet!!)...Beckham should definitely get the nod.

davematt
25-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Santos-er
My sources tell me he IS in the squad :p

:lux: :lux:

Will make next Friday even more special. The return of a LEGEND.

dave_who_ru
25-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Bring him back so we can blame him for not qualifying.

Also make sure he only gets 99 caps.

Elephant with mouse gyp
25-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
but he has been outstanding for Real

Is that right? He's played quite well in the relatively few games he's played, but not really much more than that, at least from the games I've seen.

I take brighton's point that he probably wouldn't have gone to LA if he still thought he was in McLaren's plans, but the deed is done now. Unless he can get out of that contract, as someone suggested was on the cards on another thread, I can't see it.

The real clincher though is Lennon, who's great and will improve with more international experience..

RDSdaEAGLE
25-05-2007, 06:44 PM
The real clincher though is Lennon, who's great and will improve with more international experience..

This is the thing for me though, I don't think he's that great...I don't think he's creative enough, he can't cross the ball. From what I can tell, all Lennon has is a good first touch and pace. Good enough to take people on...but effective? Hmmm, the jury is out IMHO.

I really don't believe in goalscoring wingers, they often move into the centre of the pitch, and the outcome is often a compressed midfield which cuts down chances for strikers. I'd much rather see Lennon take players on and the subsequently provide an opportunity for our striker.

Thats where Beckham differs. He's a creator, his crosses are STILL spot on and he has the technical ability to also keep posession under pressure. For Capello to say Becks is in the best form of his life...well thats high praise. He's been integral to Real being top of the league.

IanH
25-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Quality player who is playing really well for Real at the moment. I cannot see how he should not at least be in the squad, particularly bearing in mind England's recent performances without him. He also either scored or made most of England's goals when he was playing, even when he was past his best of 4 or 5 years ago.

bern5161
25-05-2007, 07:17 PM
lennon's just limped off after 10mins of the b game against albania. mclaren must be thinking his luck is changing as he can now recall beckham and claim injuries forced him to do it not fucwit management technique

Tomo
25-05-2007, 11:25 PM
This is the thing for me though, I don't think he's that great...I don't think he's creative enough, he can't cross the ball. From what I can tell, all Lennon has is a good first touch and pace. Good enough to take people on...but effective? Hmmm, the jury is out IMHO.

I really don't believe in goalscoring wingers, they often move into the centre of the pitch, and the outcome is often a compressed midfield which cuts down chances for strikers. I'd much rather see Lennon take players on and the subsequently provide an opportunity for our striker.

Thats where Beckham differs. He's a creator, his crosses are STILL spot on and he has the technical ability to also keep posession under pressure. For Capello to say Becks is in the best form of his life...well thats high praise. He's been integral to Real being top of the league. 100% correct and I don't think Lennon had a good end to the season.

As I have also said before. If Maclaren had said he wants to get rid of the older players and build for the future I would have not had a problem but he then tried to coax Scholes out of internation retirement, includes Phil Neville in his squad and surely would have had to drop Gary as well.

He was trying to show who the boss is and has failed miserably in my opinion.

I think if Beckham was brought back into the team now he would be a complete different player just to prove himself.

kolinkins
25-05-2007, 11:38 PM

Thats where Beckham differs. He's a creator, his crosses are STILL spot on and he has the technical ability to also keep posession under pressure. For Capello to say Becks is in the best form of his life...well thats high praise. He's been integral to Real being top of the league.

Totally agree with this.

Like a lot of English players, Lennon seems to have been found out after a season.

lanepe
26-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
I don't want to keep repeating myself, but Sheffield United, Watford, Wigan, Man City, Fulham etc would get murdered by some MLS sides.

If anything, Becks would be fresher and fitter than any other England player going into Euro 2008. I can see him playing in South Africa 2010.

Havent read the rest of the thread yet, but how the hell can you justify the above?

Dont diagree with second para.

lanepe
26-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Totally agree with this.

Like a lot of English players, Lennon seems to have been found out after a season.

having now read the whole thread i feel I must agree with our chipless wonder.

However, I do wonder how many of you have watched Spanish footie all season and can comment on Becks form with clarity.

In the past I watched a lot of Inter and could comment on individual players in certain matches, i.e. Cambiasso wonderful ball etc

If the newspapers clammered for a bloke you had never heard of but built up enough steam would you...

Real season ticket holders feel free to rip in to me

PalaceFan in Alabama
26-05-2007, 03:00 AM

You have to be joking, maybe a select MLS side would give them a run for their money.
How many MLS games have you seen? I would think that maybe one or two could play in the Championship.

Hedgehog
26-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
You have to be joking, maybe a select MLS side would give them a run for their money.
How many MLS games have you seen? I would think that maybe one or two could play in the Championship.
May I concure with these remarks.

oz_da II
26-05-2007, 03:35 AM

Nurse!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

DANCOO
26-05-2007, 09:52 AM
It's great news for England that Beckham could get a recall as I believe he deserves it. He has been in great form for Real and is getting high praise from Capello in virtually every game he plays.
Unfortunately it is also terrible news for England, as if he continues to perform, it will probably strengthen the shakey ground that McLaren is currently standing on.
Reagrdless, with or without Beckham, we have no chance of winning anything with the current manager and current squad, the whole England set-up is just not good enough.

Barbara4003
26-05-2007, 11:01 AM
He's in! :)

stupalace
26-05-2007, 11:14 AM
hes back for one game only i think , retirement after being made captain against brazil at wembley

Shipp Ahoy!
26-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Any other news on the squad?

Barbara4003
26-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Nugent not in

andyocpfc
26-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by stupalace
hes back for one game only i think , retirement after being made captain against brazil at wembley

No maclaren just said Terry will be captain

p.stew
26-05-2007, 11:26 AM
England squad:

Paul Robinson
Scott Carson
Robert Green
Phil Neville
Rio Ferdinand
John Terry
Wayne Bridge
Wes Brown
Jamie Carragher
Michael Dawson
Ledley King
Nicky Shorey
David Beckham
Steven Gerrard
Jermaine Jenas
Joe Cole
Aaron Lennon
David Bentley
Michael Carrick
Frank Lampard
Stewart Downing
Kieron Dyer
Peter Crouch
Michael Owen
Alan Smith
Jermain Defoe

stupalace
26-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by andyocpfc
No maclaren just said Terry will be captain

oh well

:D

LLCOOLSTEVE
26-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Good stuff, we still need him

spt1978
26-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Bit weak by McClaren I think. Drops him then when things arent going well brings back a player the fans want to see.

stupalace
26-05-2007, 11:48 AM
bad time coming up for england , echos of the 70's .

Spoons
26-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by bern5161
Time for Beckham to be reinstated. McLaren's attempt to break with the Erikkson era has ended in complete failure and surely even he now realises that he needs Beckham's ability to deliver from the right side of midfield to save his job. Capello was big enough to admit he was wrong to axe Beckham and now looks like being rewarded with the Spanish league title. Isn't it time for McLaren
to make the only sensible decision of his short, disasterous reign as England manager?

Bern - your wish has been granted. I'll let him know it was CPFC that got him back in.

alaneagle
26-05-2007, 12:07 PM
i dont think this is a terrible thing- lennons gone off the boil a bit lately and never really done it for england anyway as of yet- so he needs time to mature
the only other winger we have who looks like he could do it is bentley atm

GDP
26-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Can someone explain to me why and how Jenas gets into the squad. A complete waste of a squad position,

Im pleased for Beckham and especially Shorey who has had an excellent season.

Celestial Empire
26-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Totally agree with this.

Correct.
At the risk of "doing a Trolley", I pointed out that Lennon isn't all that, months ago, but was royally slagged off by the know-alls (Sun readers). ;)

Gooders
26-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by GDP
Can someone explain to me why and how Jenas gets into the squad. A complete waste of a squad position,

I don't know how he even gets into a Premiership squad, never mind the England squad. Vastly overrated player.

Gooders
26-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Backham was dropped too soon, but I wouldn't get too excited about him coming back if I were you.

With Rooney missing and Crouch likely to start, I reckon McLaren is just trying to use his dead-ball delivery for the one game against Estonia, and then he'll be out again.

Velocity
26-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Correct.
At the risk of "doing a Trolley", I pointed out that Lennon isn't all that, months ago, but was royally slagged off by the know-alls (Sun readers). ;)
haha you are a joke.

philsick
26-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Velocity
haha you are a joke.

No.The england set up and team are.

Phil neville,beckham,lampard:rolleyes:

Elephant with mouse gyp
26-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
With Rooney missing and Crouch likely to start, I reckon McLaren is just trying to use his dead-ball delivery for the one game against Estonia, and then he'll be out again.

Interesting comment and it points to another problem with Beckham. People say his crossing is great, which is true - I just watched Real's game and he put in quite a few of them again - but he's got van Nistelroy to aim at there.

With England, his crossing is often wasted as the main forwards, Rooney and Owen, or Defoe and AJ, aren't that type. So the sinister hidden agenda of people who want Beckham back is that they also want Crouch to play. By all that is holy in football, that is wrong.

In the meantime, you miss out on the chance to give Lennon, Bentley or Pennant games against lesser fullbacks to build their confidence at international level.

For the doubters: Lennon's season was interrupted by injury. He played about half Tottenham's league games, I think. Also, he's only started a couple of games for England. For people to be writing him off already is mental.

Gooders
27-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Personally, I think the answer might be Bentley. He's certainly earned a chance.

GDP
27-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
Personally, I think the answer might be Bentley. He's certainly earned a chance.

Yes i would go along with that.

Lennon's pulled out of the squad so the place is up for grabs, i'd say its a near certainty that Beckham will start both games now.

Absolution
27-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Beckham has the ability to do what he has for England time and time again. When the rest of the team is playing shite, he will either score a free kick or set up a header from a dead ball.

That is what has been lacking since McLaren has taken over, the team is as bad as under Sven.

andy m
27-05-2007, 10:37 AM
I've seen a fair amount of Spurs this season and Lennon has not played well for the majority of it. To my mind, one thing was clear after the World Cup, that is Beckham was our best player, Lampard should have been dropped, and Hargreaves, J Cole and Gerrard were all worth a start. In addition, Beckham showed tremendous dignity and professionalism in both the manner and timing of his resignation as Captain. My only problem with Beckham was that he was guaranteed a start regardless of his form - but really this is a problem with appointing a long term England Captain - at the moment we have lots of capable centre halves, but the ony position up for grabs is Ferdinand's, by way of example. I'm all for competition for places - and Bentley looked good against Albania, but that was a B international and the fact is that our qualification is in serious doubt, Beckham is playing well and is massively experienced at this level. I'm delighted to see him back in the squad - whether he starts over Bentley should be decided on merit, but having the best two right sided players on current form in the squad is a massive step forward in my opinion, not the backwards step everybody seems to think it is.

andy m
27-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Interesting comment and it points to another problem with Beckham. People say his crossing is great, which is true - I just watched Real's game and he put in quite a few of them again - but he's got van Nistelroy to aim at there.

With England, his crossing is often wasted as the main forwards, Rooney and Owen, or Defoe and AJ, aren't that type. So the sinister hidden agenda of people who want Beckham back is that they also want Crouch to play. By all that is holy in football, that is wrong.

In the meantime, you miss out on the chance to give Lennon, Bentley or Pennant games against lesser fullbacks to build their confidence at international level.

For the doubters: Lennon's season was interrupted by injury. He played about half Tottenham's league games, I think. Also, he's only started a couple of games for England. For people to be writing him off already is mental.

Firstly, Crouch is quite poor in the air given his height. Secondly, playing away in a qualifying match which is frankly a must win is NOT the time to allow young players the chance to build confidence, regardless of the quality of the opposition. Bentley and Beckham are the right sided midfielders in this squad. Whichever of the two is playing the best should start - worrying about building Bentley's confidence is what B internationals and friendly's are for.

Away Day Eagle
27-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Totally agree with this.

That's a bit harsh. Injured for quite a bit of the season.

I wholly endorse RDS's comments re: wingers. By definition they create, goals are a bonus.

orp pisshead1
27-05-2007, 03:25 PM
While bentley is indeed a class act, a vital game like estonia needs our most inform players and the most inform right winger/midfielder at moment by a long way is beckham, who completely ran the show for madrid lastnight. Though i did think it was time to move on after w/c.

Celestial Empire
27-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Velocity
haha you are a joke.

Sun reader then ?

grey ghost
29-05-2007, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by andy m
I've seen a fair amount of Spurs this season and Lennon has not played well for the majority of it. To my mind, one thing was clear after the World Cup, that is Beckham was our best player, Lampard should have been dropped, and Hargreaves, J Cole and Gerrard were all worth a start. In addition, Beckham showed tremendous dignity and professionalism in both the manner and timing of his resignation as Captain. My only problem with Beckham was that he was guaranteed a start regardless of his form - but really this is a problem with appointing a long term England Captain - at the moment we have lots of capable centre halves, but the ony position up for grabs is Ferdinand's, by way of example. I'm all for competition for places - and Bentley looked good against Albania, but that was a B international and the fact is that our qualification is in serious doubt, Beckham is playing well and is massively experienced at this level. I'm delighted to see him back in the squad - whether he starts over Bentley should be decided on merit, but having the best two right sided players on current form in the squad is a massive step forward in my opinion, not the backwards step everybody seems to think it is.

agree with all this , apart from the dropping hargreaves bit , i thought he did a good job for england at the world cup , and was , in my opinion , one of the few england players to show any drive and enthusiasm and to perform their allocated role well .

Tom's Old Man
29-05-2007, 12:19 PM
The players should be selected on ability, and nothing else. He would walk into that squad if that were the case. England have hardly improved without him.

andyocpfc
29-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I agreee with Barry Fry as he stated on Sky sports news.

'If David Beckham is not in the top 20 odd players we have i'll eat my hat'

Gunners
29-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Bring him back for the Brazil and Estonia games but then consign him to the knackers yard cos when he's at LA Galaxy he won't be good enough for the England team as they play cack football

Santos-er
29-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Gunners
Bring him back for the Brazil and Estonia games but then consign him to the knackers yard cos when he's at LA Galaxy he won't be good enough for the England team as they play cack football

I suspect, regardless of what anyone's views on the standard of football in the US are, that this will be the case.

Unless Beckham plays a starring role in both games, and helps Madrid to the La Liga title. Then McClaren couldn't drop him.

andyocpfc
29-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Gunners

And the England team dont!;)

orp pisshead1
29-05-2007, 01:00 PM

LOL

GDP
29-05-2007, 01:07 PM

There' has been talk of a possible loan deal for Beckham back to Madrid or to the Premiership. Only rumours but you never know with football.

andyocpfc
29-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by GDP

There' has been talk of a possible loan deal for Beckham back to Madrid or to the Premiership. Only rumours but you never know with football.

Yes but he did always say he would never play in the premiership again unless it was for Man Utd but if his Euro championship place relied on it, who knows if he might be tempted to change his mind.

Anyhow LA galaxy didnt seem to keen on this.

Hedgehog
30-05-2007, 04:04 AM
Has he gone grey, or is that a new hair colour?

Hedgehog
03-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Quote on the front page of today's Los Angeles Times Sports Section:
....For us to be able to say that one of our players has been called up to the English national team, that's not bad........
That was from Alexi Lalas.

Jerk!

The article goes on to state that his move to LA is in no way in any doubt.... etc, etc.