PDA

View Full Version : Thread for the ladies - Fashion related

Lizzy
27-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Does anyone else wish those smock/tunic things that are in all the shops at the moment would go out of fashion? They are so unflattering - a bit like a tent.

I've just spent an hour and half going round the shops looking at clothes and was singularly uninspired by most of what is in fashion at the moment.

Maybe I am getting old :sob:

Any advice from the lovely ladies of the BBS on what I should be buying to suit my (rather odd) shape?

Yours, a bit fed up, of Westminster.

ponypunter
27-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Lizzy

Any advice from the lovely ladies of the BBS on what I should be buying to suit my (rather odd) shape?

In what way is your shape odd? :confused:

Lizzy
27-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ponypunter
In what way is your shape odd? :confused:

Triangular and not in a good way (no boobs, huge hips :sob: )

Jalfrezi_Enema
27-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Tranny and Sylvester, or whatever their names are, have just done a book about buying for your shape.

That is my total input.

Lizzy
27-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Jalfrezi_Enema
Trinny and Sylvester, or whatever their names are, have just done a book about buying for your shape.

That is my total input.

Yup I have this book. It isn't much help when what they suggest for your body shape isn't in fashion at the moment and the shops aren't stocking such items.

It's a right old dilemma let me tell you.

Eaglettie
27-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Totally agree with you Lizzy :p

Tried one on and looked pregnant !!!! I think they're not that flattering for a lady of any size tbh.

The problem us 'older' girlies have is that when something comes into fashion for the young 'uns, every single bloody shop seems to get on the band wagon and sell that particular item. I don't really want to go around looking like I'm a woman in my late thirties trying to look like a 16/17/18/19 yr old !!!

Micky Droy
27-11-2007, 01:55 PM

A padded bra?

More seriously - I think you would look good in a red cape.

Adlerhorst
27-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Patent leather handbags - wish they would vanish too. Mrs Adlerhorst wants one - could not believe how expensive - and it will be out of fashion in a week or two.

little al
27-11-2007, 01:58 PM
You look ok in stockings and sussies:p

PalaceMonkey
27-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I wish women would stop wearing those shit short type things.

It's fecking winter for a start.

Oddjob
27-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
I wish women would stop wearing those shit short type things.

It's fecking winter for a start.

Any they look shit, and makes you look like you have a fat arse

PalaceMonkey
27-11-2007, 02:03 PM
yep, even if you're really thin.

and don't get me started on high-waisted trousers.

They even make Keeley look bad!

Or that girl from Sixth Sense
http://www.behollywoodfit.com/content/binary/highwaist.jpg

Bartman
27-11-2007, 02:07 PM
They are awful. My wife keeps getting asked if she's pregnant, which as you can imagine goes down about as well as a fart in a spacesuit.

They look like pregnancy outfits. Stop wearing them if people think you're pregnant and you're getting upset. They are the devil's work.

Lizzy
27-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
A padded bra?

More seriously - I think you would look good in a red cape.

yes thanks MD for your confidence boosting comments. It's obviously the month for it.

nathe
27-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Do you look like Wizbit?

Lizzy
27-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by nathe
Do you look like Wizbit?

slightly less yellow but along those lines

Hi Hi thisaway hi hi thataway etc

Micky Droy
27-11-2007, 02:14 PM
yes thanks MD for your confidence boosting comments. It's obviously the month for it.

:confused:

If you want to look like you have boobs then just do padding, shurely.

And red capes are cute. Like little ones that flutter.

Or you could wear grey hipster trousers and tight black polo neck tops that say "This is my shape and it is long and elegant", like some sort of post-Beatnick feministic literary look.

Flairs would be perfect.

Lizzy
27-11-2007, 02:15 PM
:confused:

If you want to look like you have boobs then just do padding, shurely.

And red capes are cute. Like little ones that flutter.

Or you could wear grey hipster trousers and tight black polo neck tops that say "This is my shape and it is long and elegant", like some sort of post-Beatnick feministic literary look.

Flairs would be perfect.

Wow - that is almost impressive.

I am afraid even chicken fillets don't help me much. :)

Micky Droy
27-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Wow - that is almost impressive.

I am afraid even chicken fillets don't help me much. :)

Long dark slacks, plain stark coloured silk shirt/blouses, and you can accessorise for detail with a long necklace or a bag.

Like Trinny off the television, who has the same basic shape. Accentuate length - it emphasises slenderness and makes any curves gradual and graceful.

I think you should also wear black rimmed glasses and art hats, but that is less sensible and more just my taste.

NOTE avoid prints or you will veer to either Art Teacher or Tory Wife.

Lizzy
27-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Long dark slacks, plain stark coloured silk shirt/blouses, and you can accessorise for detail with a long necklace or a bag.

Like Trinny off the television, who has the same basic shape. Accentuate length - it emphasises slenderness and makes any curves gradual and graceful.

I think you should also wear black rimmed glasses and art hats, but that is less sensible and more just my taste.

Jeez MD - where did you learn all this? I'm really quite impressed. You've certainly given Tony a run for his money in the metro stakes.

Maz
27-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Some excellent and furious back-pedalling from MD here. :0

kitticat
I just like funky T-shirts and jeans, with a pair of killer heels. I tend to opt for smock type things when doing night shifts as I don't care what I look like in an office at 4 in the morning. Though they just make me look all clothes.

Lizzy
Originally posted by Maz

:) well spotted.

Micky Droy
27-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Maz

I just decided to be momentarily helpful.

nathe
27-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Jeez MD - where did you learn all this? I'm really quite impressed. You've certainly given Tony a run for his money in the metro stakes.

MD earlier today

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/images/authors/007600/007661-AP12.jpg

Micky Droy
27-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Yes, inside this large lumbering flopopy haired Englishman is a gazelle-like Japanese gay.

kitticat
27-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Yes, inside this large lumbering flopopy haired Englishman is a gazelle-like Japanese gay.

I'm still pissed off that Gok told us little ladies we shouldn't wear bootcut. Yes we can :grrr: :grrr:

Jalfrezi_Enema
27-11-2007, 02:48 PM

I KNEW it!!!

Micky Droy
27-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by kitticat
I'm still pissed off that Gok told us little ladies we shouldn't wear bootcut. Yes we can :grrr: :grrr:

What is bootcut please little lady?

Pidster
27-11-2007, 02:51 PM

He's being fey, don't fall for it.

Oddjob
27-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Gap is currently doing 30% off all their clobber, I know someone who spent 100 in the Poultry one yesterday.

kitticat
27-11-2007, 02:53 PM

http://www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/product/000005696.jpg

This type of jeans cut. All you need to make them look hot is good shoes :p :D

Lizzy
27-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by kitticat

I think you can - I do agree with him about cropped trousers on short women though - they make you look even shorter.

PalaceMonkey
27-11-2007, 02:55 PM
I can see that lady's belly button!

Micky Droy
27-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Oh. Do you wear the boots under them or over them?

Women wear these shaggy boots on the outside of jeans these days, don't they?

If they are short, it makes them look like winter shepherds.

Micky Droy
27-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
I can see that lady's belly button!

Put your wallet away, Monkey, it's only a picture.

Lizzy
27-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Oh. Do you wear the boots under them or over them?

Women wear these shaggy boots on the outside of jeans these days, don't they?

If they are short, it makes them look like winter shepherds.

Mostly under them - a lot of girls wear boots over skinny jeans though. Which can look cool if you are the right body shape I think.

kitticat
27-11-2007, 02:58 PM
I think you can - I do agree with him about cropped trousers on short women though - they make you look even shorter.

I have a couple of pairs of cropped jeans. I only wear them boots under them now as I have a holiday photo with me in them an it looks like my ankle is snapped. :(

Lizzy
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
sorry to bump an old thread but how the hell can those stupid tunic smock things still be in fashion and in the shops. FFS - it's bleeding infuriating. No one - I repeat no one looks good in them

Kevin T
02-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread dear, but I just bought these pants, but I'm not sure they suit me.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:d-vZVYvPRSVhVM:http://bp3.blogger.com/_36qBV_kEWWg/RqfEbzOLf_I/AAAAAAAAAL8/pBg0Fd_XVdc/s400/9a24.jpg

Kevin T
02-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread dear, but I just bought these pants, but I'm not sure they suit me.

http://www.topbrandsdirect.com/WebRoot/TBD/Shops/TBD/44B5/28A5/74C2/9504/275F/C0A8/018D/0008/ben_30_b_mix_400.jpg

Would I be better with a boxer?

jolly
02-05-2008, 08:40 PM

he must be nicking it from a site somewhere he normally goes for stuff thats banned on ebay :D