PDA

View Full Version : Why is my CPU usae 100%?

Mal Adjusted
14-12-2007, 09:06 AM
I hit CNRT-ALT-DEL to bring up the Windows Task Manaare performance charts. It shows I have one application running (the BBS on Internet Explkorer). I have a couple of dozen processes running - with Mem Usgae ranging from 28k to 50,000k. Most of these are .exe files.

On the performance charts my 'PF usage' is 590mb, with the green bar showing about half. But my 'CPU usage' is showing 100%.

I've done all the normal things like virus checks and registry repair checks, defrags, etc etc. When I switch off and switch on the CPU usage is often as low as 4%, but then it jumps up and quickly gets to 100%. I assume this is why the PC is running like a donkey.

I've looked back on past threads and tried cure such as strating msconfig and altering the start up options but that gives me a warning message that I should not be doing that unless I'm an expert. Which I'm not.

Any advice in language appropriate for a computer ignoramus would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Edit to the above. I forot to say that the process taking up 50,000k is MsMpEng, which is a Windows Defender task that seems to cause problems as I can see lots of people on Google complaining that it takes up the whole of their CPU. Is 50,000k usgage on this likely to cause my problem?

Newts G
14-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, mine was a print spooler problem. I deleted the file and hey presto all sorted.

Norm
14-12-2007, 11:00 AM
You need to click on the processes tab then click on CPU to bring the highest to the top and it should then show you what is taking up the CPU time. I bet it is SVCHOST.exe

delboy01
14-12-2007, 11:07 AM
System idle should be top!!

If it's a task search on the web for fixes.

Mal Adjusted
14-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Norm
You need to click on the processes tab then click on CPU to bring the highest to the top and it should then show you what is taking up the CPU time. I bet it is SVCHOST.exe

I never knew that :) Ta :p That showed me that adobeupdater.exe is usin 99% of the cpu. And a google search shows me that half the world has the same problem - and that the solutiuon lies in renaming the registry code.

Dare I do that? It sounds a bit techie. I think I'll give it a go.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
14-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Mal Adjusted
I never knew that :) Ta :p That showed me that adobeupdater.exe is usin 99% of the cpu. And a google search shows me that half the world has the same problem - and that the solutiuon lies in renaming the registry code.

Dare I do that? It sounds a bit techie. I think I'll give it a go. Go for it, probably the worst you can do is f*** up Adobe.

Now is a good time to do my tip that if you make the fingers of your left hand into an 'OK' sign you can press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC up the left hand side of the keyboard and launch Task Manager very quickly :)

Velocity
15-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Task Manager is Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
16-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Velocity
Task Manager is Ctrl+Alt+Delete. OR CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. Try it :rolleyes:

delboy01
16-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Mal Adjusted

Dare I do that? It sounds a bit techie. I think I'll give it a go.

BE VERY CAREFULL!!!

Regedit is a powerful tool. You can delete anything!!!

Make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

Spybot1.4 not only stops spyware but you can backup your registry as well.

Mal Adjusted
16-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks all for the advice. This update might help others as it seems that the Adobe V8 problem affects lots of users. It seems there is some sort of problem within V8 whereby WmMpEng uses up all the available CPU 'power' (is that the right word). Anyway - the Adobe site has instructions for a fix. It tells people how to get into RegEdit and where to look for the dodgy registry entry, and then just hit delete.

I followed the instructions to the letter but couldn't find the dodgy Abode entry. So I just deleted Adobe V8. Problem immediately solved. Now hopefully if I download and install v8.1 the problem won't be replicated.

Currently I have about 90% of my CPU power bein taken up by "System Idle Process". I assume this is OK as my PC is flying along at the speed of light.

The registry work did have one benefit as during it I spotted a registry entry for some piece of 'con' ware which I donwloaded a few weeks ago in an attempt to solve my speed problem. Somethin called 'Stopzilla' After promising the earth it did feck all except invite me to pay it some money every time I re-booted. And it was a piece of software that refused to be deleted via normal Windows. Anyway - when I saw the registry entry for it I deleted that and I'm pleased to say that it too has now one.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
16-12-2007, 09:42 PM
It's all about the HLT op code. System Idle exists to makes the books balance in terms of perfmon results from the kernel - to make them 100% in total. So it accounts for (not actually uses as such) any spare CPU ticks. Although it does actually exist as a task and sends the processor HLT instructions, which in turn tell the processor to use less power (and therefore generate less heat etc.) until the next hardware interrupt is recieved - i.e. a boot up the arse saying 'you've got work to do, pal'.

RickyB
16-12-2007, 09:58 PM
I even understood that :)

Mal Adjusted
16-12-2007, 10:06 PM
A short while ago I clicked on an email to open a PDF file - not large, about 16 pages. I'm not sure how it opened as I thought I'd deleted Adobe. Anyway - I now have a new 'file' takin up all my CPU capacity. AdobeUpdater.exe now uses 98% capacity.

So we - or I - have two of the biggest software corporations in the world unable to get their respective offerings able to work as planned on my PC - and the PCs of many others.

Have any other BBSers had this conflict or problem ?

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
16-12-2007, 11:43 PM
It just sounds like Adobe has got its knickers in a right twist. Computers are 'very complicated things' and sometimes despite all the testing and goodwill in the world these kind of things will happen. Very annoying when it does happen to you though :D

I can only advise to follow whatever Adobe are telling people to do? Completely get rid of it if you can, before re-install.

Are you just using Acrobat reader? i.e. the free bit that reads PDFs?

If so try installing it using the msi... ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.1.1/enu/AdbeRdr811_en_US.msi