PDA

View Full Version : Away Support (standing)


Oh south london
12-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Its something that has become quite topical with the Charlton tickets coming on sale and people not wanting to be in the front rows. With Palace it has never really a problem and we seem to have a divide when it comes to our supporters sitting and standing at away grounds but now with our great form we are obviously going to be taking lots more fans away from home and so the fans who want to stand can't just go to the back of the stand and congregate like we all usually do.

So what do you think shall our fans all stand and really make our away support loud or keep having confrentation and or all sit down?

Personally I hate sitting down at away games and I feel that people who want to sit at away games are kill joys and do not enjoy a real football atmsophere (I am going to get alot of backlash for this) I also think that fans who want to sit down and not support the team have had there time and should not moan if they can not see the game, after all what would they have done if we still had terraces? Just another point I know what I said was contriversial but please do not misconstrewe me as selfish becuase I am not.

So what do you think?

Scarface
12-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I 100% agree with you!

:p

Eagle El
12-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I can't see the problem with standing. They were standing in the audience on "The one and only" on the telly tonight and no-one made them sit down. What's the difference? Just as unlikely that anyone would have an accident.

eagles #1
12-01-2008, 09:42 PM
I hate sitting. Kills my enjoyment of football by 99%.

Oli28
12-01-2008, 09:44 PM
100% standing!!!!
:p

peagle
12-01-2008, 09:45 PM
It is a difficult one as the people sitting have the right to do that and you shouldn't be standing. I agree that standing makes football more enjoyable and increases the quality of the atmosphere significantly. However, it is one of those 'on the day' things now and if people start standing others will too... like watford.

trickyricky66
12-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Oli28
100% standing!!!!
:p
I do know where your coming from on this ,and yes i love to stand,
but you have to look after the older and disable one who stand for long periods ,if you know wot i mean .OR even the small ones .thats why i like Cardiff ground the old days in the arthur Wait seat at the back standing at the front .:p

whyteleafeeagle
12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I think the atmosphere will be red hot at the valley, whole end to be up standing 90 mins - 2nd half non stop N W Red n Blue Army...

Slimbloke'H'
12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by trickyricky66
I do know where your coming from on this ,and yes i love to stand,
but you have to look after the older and disable one who stand for long periods...:love: :D

Brolley
12-01-2008, 09:58 PM
As long as there are no fans whose view is obstructed, eithr partially or in totality, then I see no problem with standing.

trickyricky66
12-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Slimbloke'H'
:love: :D
MATE CLEAN OUT YOUR MAIL ,SAYS ITS FULL CANT PM YOU :p

Ruskin Old Boy
12-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london

Personally I hate sitting down at away games and I feel that people who want to sit at away games are kill joys and do not enjoy a real football atmsophere (I am going to get alot of backlash for this) I also think that fans who want to sit down and not support the team have had there time and should not moan if they can not see the game

Backlash, what backlash ...

... about 45 years ago I would have probably said the same ... unfortunately your age ain't in your profile so we don't know how old you are but I hope in 45 years time you'll remember what I've written - there comes a time when standing for 90 minutes ain't so easy. And, for it's worth, the atmosphere is important whatever the match ... whether it's Hilsborough on a f*cking freezing Tuesday night last season or Selhurst Park on a warm August day.

Takes all sorts to support a football club, fortunately Palace has a pretty good lot who can tolerate the over 30's :D

Oli28
12-01-2008, 10:14 PM
but at the other end of the scale, it can be particularly uncomfortable to sit, especially in some of the away ends in this league.
if you have long legs then the experiance can be very uncomfotable.

the thing which annoys me when some of the older fans moan about standing is that when they were younger, a lot of them probably got to enjoy the experiance of the terraces. They got a proper atmosphere at football games which cannot be created when you have to sit down. but now the next generation want a good atmosphere, the older people decide that they dont want to stand up. what happened to the people who had difficulty standing back in the terracing days?

if we stood at every away game, a few people would be put off going, but we would probably attract a lot more support. i, for one, would probably go to more away games than i do, because more often than not i have to sit down at away games and it doesnt seem to be worth the journey if you are just going to have a boring time. it is a completely different experiance if you are standing. i dont want to travel hundreds of miles just to observe palace play, i want a good atmosphere as well, because that is what away games are all about.

as you say, the most sensible idea would be to have standing and seating areas (like at cardiff), because it would suit everybody.

selhurst star
12-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Oli28
but at the other end of the scale, it can be particularly uncomfortable to sit, especially in some of the away ends in this league.
if you have long legs then the experiance can be very uncomfotable.

the thing which annoys me when some of the older fans moan about standing is that when they were younger, a lot of them probably got to enjoy the experiance of the terraces. They got a proper atmosphere at football games which cannot be created when you have to sit down. but now the next generation want a good atmosphere, the older people decide that they dont want to stand up. what happened to the people who had difficulty standing back in the terracing days?

if we stood at every away game, a few people would be put off going, but we would probably attract a lot more support. i, for one, would probably go to more away games than i do, because more often than not i have to sit down at away games and it doesnt seem to be worth the journey if you are just going to have a boring time. it is a completely different experiance if you are standing. i dont want to travel hundreds of miles just to observe palace play, i want a good atmosphere as well, because that is what away games are all about.

as you say, the most sensible idea would be to have standing and seating areas (like at cardiff), because it would suit everybody. what happened to the people who had difficulty standing back in the terracing days?




They leant on one of the many crush barriers

beveling8
12-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Difficult question today at wolves I had some older supporters moan at me for standing up after prolonged goal celebrations. I have always thought that away games are more the realm of standing but at the smae time just becuase you don't want to stand doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy away games.

trickyricky66
12-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Oli28
but at the other end of the scale, it can be particularly uncomfortable to sit, especially in some of the away ends in this league.
if you have long legs then the experiance can be very uncomfotable.

the thing which annoys me when some of the older fans moan about standing is that when they were younger, a lot of them probably got to enjoy the experiance of the terraces. They got a proper atmosphere at football games which cannot be created when you have to sit down. but now the next generation want a good atmosphere, the older people decide that they dont want to stand up. what happened to the people who had difficulty standing back in the terracing days?

if we stood at every away game, a few people would be put off going, but we would probably attract a lot more support. i, for one, would probably go to more away games than i do, because more often than not i have to sit down at away games and it doesnt seem to be worth the journey if you are just going to have a boring time. it is a completely different experiance if you are standing. i dont want to travel hundreds of miles just to observe palace play, i want a good atmosphere as well, because that is what away games are all about.

as you say, the most sensible idea would be to have standing and seating areas (like at cardiff), because it would suit everybody.
mate you said it your self.IN the old days there would be seat and standing.or you knew where to go for a to avoid the old surging ,which was fun back in the day,left hand a/w Leary. right a/w more tranquil

jamie12
12-01-2008, 10:22 PM
GOTTA STAND- SO MUCH BETTER!! Better atmoshpere, better view, BETTER TIME!!!:p

Bobby Woodruff
12-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Its something that has become quite topical with the Charlton tickets coming on sale and people not wanting to be in the front rows. With Palace it has never really a problem and we seem to have a divide when it comes to our supporters sitting and standing at away grounds but now with our great form we are obviously going to be taking lots more fans away from home and so the fans who want to stand can't just go to the back of the stand and congregate like we all usually do.

So what do you think shall our fans all stand and really make our away support loud or keep having confrentation and or all sit down?

Personally I hate sitting down at away games and I feel that people who want to sit at away games are kill joys and do not enjoy a real football atmsophere (I am going to get alot of backlash for this) I also think that fans who want to sit down and not support the team have had there time and should not moan if they can not see the game, after all what would they have done if we still had terraces? Just another point I know what I said was contriversial but please do not misconstrewe me as selfish becuase I am not.

So what do you think?

So, to summarise...

If your a child, or a woman, or not so young, or not fit enough to stand, or not six feet tall then •••• off because I want to stand and the nasty government took away the terraces and I don't care if you can't see.

You say that you are not selfish but if you force other people to stand when they do not want to then that is exactly what you are.

selhurst star
12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Anyway, after the nice clever Police force moved the date and kick off time so we can get in an extra 4 1/2 hours drinking I wont be in any state to stand for 90 minutes. Oh, and if you could keep the noise down so I can get some zzzzz's would be much appreciated.

Slimbloke'H'
12-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by trickyricky66
MATE CLEAN OUT YOUR MAIL ,SAYS ITS FULL CANT PM YOU :p Done! :p

Ruskin Old Boy
12-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by selhurst star
Anyway, after the nice clever Police force moved the date and kick off time so we can get in an extra 4 1/2 hours drinking I wont be in any state to stand for 90 minutes. Oh, and if you could keep the noise down so I can get some zzzzz's would be much appreciated.

Please wake me up when the match is over :D

Oli28
12-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Woodruff
You say that you are not selfish but if you force other people to stand when they do not want to then that is exactly what you are.
but you are forcing people to sit.
are you not being selfish then?
other people clearly want to stand, but you are not allowing them to

Bobby Woodruff
12-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Oli28
but you are forcing people to sit.
are you not being selfish then?
other people clearly want to stand, but you are not allowing them to

The ••••••• law is forcing them to sit. Until the government relents and allows the terraces back (which will probably be never) those who stand in seated areas are imposing their wishes on others.

trickyricky66
12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Woodruff
The ••••••• law is forcing them to sit. Until the government relents and allows the terraces back (which will probably be never) those who stand in seated areas are imposing their wishes on others.
MATE have you seen how old some pups are 12 14 .you might try to explain but i dought if there get it :p

Oli28
12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Woodruff
The ••••••• law is forcing them to sit. Until the government relents and allows the terraces back (which will probably be never) those who stand in seated areas are imposing their wishes on others.
:S: :rolleyes:
the majority of premiership fans stand at away games, and so do a lot of championship/lower league fans.
the law is the same for them, but they still stand. everyone knows that there is nothing anyone can do if fans choose to stand up.

the only people who are stopping standing are the people who decide to sit. im not saying that people who want to sit are necessarily in the wrong, its just that you are having a dig about standers being selfish, but you are being just as selfish by making other people sit down.

RednBlue
12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Backlash, what backlash ...

... about 45 years ago I would have probably said the same ... unfortunately your age ain't in your profile so we don't know how old you are but I hope in 45 years time you'll remember what I've written - there comes a time when standing for 90 minutes ain't so easy. And, for it's worth, the atmosphere is important whatever the match ... whether it's Hilsborough on a f*cking freezing Tuesday night last season or Selhurst Park on a warm August day.

Takes all sorts to support a football club, fortunately Palace has a pretty good lot who can tolerate the over 30's :D Nicely put John.
Sadly, while the spirit is willing, there comes a time (or age) when the combination of physical inadequacy and cold overcome the desire to stand for 90 minutes - especially with the back of a hard plastic seat digging into your shins and nothing to lean on! Doesn't mean the passion's not there though!

trickyricky66
12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Oli28
:S: :rolleyes:
the majority of premiership fans stand at away games, and so do a lot of championship/lower league fans.
the law is the same for them, but they still stand. everyone knows that there is nothing anyone can do if fans choose to stand up.

the only people who are stopping standing are the people who decide to sit. im not saying that people who want to sit are necessarily in the wrong, its just that you are having a dig about standers being selfish, but you are being just as selfish by making other people sit down.
Well said ,now go to bed. :D

cpfc@eastbourne
12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
OSL in shock mention of standing at away games in yet another thread !!!!!

Ruskin Old Boy
12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by RednBlue
Nicely put John.
Sadly, while the spirit is willing, there comes a time (or age) when the combination of physical inadequacy and cold overcome the desire to stand for 90 minutes - especially with the back of a hard plastic seat digging into your shins and nothing to lean on! Doesn't mean the passion's not there though!

Yo, must remember to slow down when I use my zimmer frame at Clowntown :D

I know a nice massage parlour where they cater for the mature gent - interested?, no need to stand there :D

Slimbloke'H'
12-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Bobby Woodruff, before you reply mate, just take a moment or two to reflect.

We now live in a time where a not inconsiderable number of people feel it completely reasonable to ignore rules and regs and comprehensively stick two fingers up at the rest of society in the process.

In fact, I'm quite sure that a good percentage of them don't actually even understand they're in the wrong - Oli28 included.

There is no solution, unfortunately - well no lawful one anyway! :)

Bobby Woodruff
12-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Slimbloke'H'
Bobby Woodruff, before you reply mate, just take a moment or two to reflect.

We now live in a time where a not inconsiderable number of people feel it completely reasonable to ignore rules and regs and comprehensively stick two fingers up at the rest of society in the process.

In fact, I'm quite sure that a good percentage of them don't actually even understand they're in the wrong - Oli28 included.

There is no solution, unfortunately - well no lawful one anyway! :)

While this is true it is no justification for them being selfish little ••••wits. I am astounded by the lack of empathy for others that some people have. They have the attitude that I want to do something so I will do it not matter how much it inconveniences anyone else.

Bobby Woodruff
12-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Oli28
:S: :rolleyes:
the majority of premiership fans stand at away games, and so do a lot of championship/lower league fans.
the law is the same for them, but they still stand. everyone knows that there is nothing anyone can do if fans choose to stand up.

the only people who are stopping standing are the people who decide to sit. im not saying that people who want to sit are necessarily in the wrong, its just that you are having a dig about standers being selfish, but you are being just as selfish by making other people sit down.

Some people (not me) cannot stand, they are not being selfish. People like you are giving them only one option, don't go to away games.

Being able to stand at an away game is not some fundamental human right that you are being denied. All that is being asked is that you consider fellow Palace fans who would also like to be able to see the game.

Oli28
12-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Woodruff
While this is true it is no justification for them being selfish little ••••wits. I am astounded by the lack of empathy for others that some people have. They have the attitude that I want to do something so I will do it not matter how much it inconveniences anyone else.
Well thats simply not true.
As i have pointed out, i would like to stand for away games. But that doesnt mean i do. I would love to stand, but if i can see that there are people behind/around me that are sitting down, i will sit down as well and wont have to be asked to do so.
so i dont inconveniance anybody actually.

and if you read through this thread, the majority of the people WANT to stand anyway.

Lord Flange
13-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Woodruff
While this is true it is no justification for them being selfish little ••••wits. I am astounded by the lack of empathy for others that some people have. They have the attitude that I want to do something so I will do it not matter how much it inconveniences anyone else.

It is really not as simple as people just being selfish. Fans are making a stand ( no pun intended ) because they are exasperated by the reluctance of the authorities to recognise the issues that have turned our stadiums in morgues.

As much as I sympathise with those that wish to sit, IMO the incidents of mass standing, which are growing throughout the top divisons, are vital if we are to get a common sense solution for fans that wish to stand ( over 90 per cent according to the last three years surveys from the FSF)

The subject is very topical at the moment and has recieved extensive coverage on Sky - no doubt concerned that the dwindling atmosphere in grounds will affect their product - as well as support from at least two broadsheets.

Standing wouldnt be in the spotlight if people WERE considerate of those wishing to sit.

Unfortunate and selfish? ....possibly; but very neccessary in the long term. The situation will have to be addressed soon and a solution will need to be reached. Latest reports suggest that the FLA are attempting to wash their hands of the 'problem' and pass the buck to the clubs themselves so it will be interesting to see how this develops in the next year or so.

As far as I can see this has to be recognised as a concession by the Government and FLA and it will eventually lead to an acceptence for the need for safe standing areas - whether that will be seated areas where supporters can stand in front of their seats or the reintroduction of terracing based on the German model, who knows?

Absolution
13-01-2008, 12:34 AM
I think this is a great innovative invention by Werder Bremen.
It is both a Seat and a Terrace at the same time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6458843.stm

Oh south london
13-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by cpfc@eastbourne
OSL in shock mention of standing at away games in yet another thread !!!!!

Its something I feel passionatly about. I jsut do not like the way that everyone always says that our away support is so good when half of us just sit down all game. Thats not support thats just being dull.

Bobby W I am sorry to say this but its fans like you that take the atmosphere away from football. Bobby did you go to Southampton away at the beggining of the season? If so what did you do then cry to a steward and get fans ejected for standing? We need to lose fans like you and get the 'lad' element back at Palace ala Leeds. I hate to say it but Millwalls away support is ten times ours ATM because they do not have old fans moaning about persistant standers. Its 90 minitues fot crying out loud you must be seriously unfit you are only 50. (If you have a medical condition I am sorry).

Eagle El
13-01-2008, 12:51 AM
This is all about regulation taking away personal choice. In years gone by, one could choose to sit or stand depending on sitting in the stand (sic) or standing on the terraces. Little by little our personal preferences are being taken away from us. This includes the right to smoke in the open air in football stadiums.
Don't have a go at each other, have a go at the government who are causing this conflict by choosing to legislate against personal choice..

mad bloke
13-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Sitting down has taken the atmosphere away from footaball.When you walk in the stadium all you want is to feel the rush and then the barging into one another singing were the right side were the left side and and slating the away fans, all you get now is what seat should i be sitting in.


Sorry but seating really p----s me off


Come on didnt it feel good being able to storm the pitch after doing Blackburn.

webgard
13-01-2008, 01:47 AM
I'm shocked by some of the posts in this thread.

In my opinion, one of the greatest things about Palace support is it is perfectly mixed. We have old and young fans, families and vocal young supporters all together home and away. And I can't imagine how this community can be same if you eliminate part of it, especially a vital part of it.

If you love a club, it means you love its history and origins. The history of the club is not in the mass produced books you can buy in the club shop. The history is carried by old lads who tell you about their first hand stories of your beloved team during 60's and 70's.

As much as I love standing and being vocal, and that's why I prefer to don't sit in Main Stand unless I have to, I can't imagine someone even think about denying older fans (or people with disability) the right to sit at the stadium and enjoy the game.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm totally annoyed by some fans in the main stand who will shout "Siddown, Shut up" if you just stand for 1 minute to celebrate a goal. I even once saw an annoying man in the Family stand who constantly shouts at some children in the front rows to sit down; his view was not blocked and I didn’t even know what he was doing in the Family stand at the first place as he was alone and was not in company of his family.
But in home games you have a choice and you always can avoid this situation by getting a (cheaper) ticket in Block V or Block B.

For away games I just wonder whether it is impossible for the club to devide the tickets at least to two groups, one for back rows and the other for front rows, so you would have a limited option. If this is possible, all the people who wants to sit, can take front rows and others who enjoy standing or at least don't be bothered by it, take the back rows.

Bobby Woodruff
13-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Its something I feel passionatly about. I jsut do not like the way that everyone always says that our away support is so good when half of us just sit down all game. Thats not support thats just being dull.

Bobby W I am sorry to say this but its fans like you that take the atmosphere away from football. Bobby did you go to Southampton away at the beggining of the season? If so what did you do then cry to a steward and get fans ejected for standing. We need to lose fans like you and get the 'lad' element back at Palace ala Leeds. I hate to say it but Millwalls away support is ten times ours ATM because they do not have old fans moaning about not being able to stand. Its 90 minitues fot crying out loud you must be seriously unfit you are only 50. (If you have a medical condition I am sorry).

No, I didn't go to Southampton and I wouldn't complain to stewards about it. I could stand if I wanted to but I don't and why should you make me. However I did go to West Ham in the Dowie promotion season a few months after an operation and I couldn't stand for the whole match. I had to sit and miss half the game.

As for losing fans like me I have supported Palace for 40 years and have seen them play on over 70 different grounds. Why should I stop supporting Palace just because of idiots like you.

I should also point out thatwhen those around me are singing I join in and I reckon I'm as passionate a supporter as any one else. I don't see why it is neccessary to inconvenience others just to sing.

Bobby Woodruff
13-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Lord Flange
It is really not as simple as people just being selfish. Fans are making a stand ( no pun intended ) because they are exasperated by the reluctance of the authorities to recognise the issues that have turned our stadiums in morgues.

As much as I sympathise with those that wish to sit, IMO the incidents of mass standing, which are growing throughout the top divisons, are vital if we are to get a common sense solution for fans that wish to stand ( over 90 per cent according to the last three years surveys from the FSF)

The subject is very topical at the moment and has recieved extensive coverage on Sky - no doubt concerned that the dwindling atmosphere in grounds will affect their product - as well as support from at least two broadsheets.

Standing wouldnt be in the spotlight if people WERE considerate of those wishing to sit.

Unfortunate and selfish? ....possibly; but very neccessary in the long term. The situation will have to be addressed soon and a solution will need to be reached. Latest reports suggest that the FLA are attempting to wash their hands of the 'problem' and pass the buck to the clubs themselves so it will be interesting to see how this develops in the next year or so.

As far as I can see this has to be recognised as a concession by the Government and FLA and it will eventually lead to an acceptence for the need for safe standing areas - whether that will be seated areas where supporters can stand in front of their seats or the reintroduction of terracing based on the German model, who knows?

Your points are fine for home games, I know not to sit in block B of the Holmesdale and if I did I would have nothing to complain about. The problem is that at an away game the tickets are allocated randomly and it is not fair for someone to say 'I'm going to stand and I don't care about anyone else'.

Eagle Of Cray
13-01-2008, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by webgard
I'm shocked by some of the posts in this thread.

In my opinion, one of the greatest things about Palace support is it is perfectly mixed. We have old and young fans, families and vocal young supporters all together home and away. And I can't imagine how this community can be same if you eliminate part of it, especially a vital part of it.

If you love a club, it means you love its history and origins. The history of the club is not in the mass produced books you can buy in the club shop. The history is carried by old lads who tell you about their first hand stories of your beloved team during 60's and 70's.

As much as I love standing and being vocal, and that's why I prefer to don't sit in Main Stand unless I have to, I can't imagine someone even think about denying older fans (or people with disability) the right to sit at the stadium and enjoy the game.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm totally annoyed by some fans in the main stand who will shout "Siddown, Shut up" if you just stand for 1 minute to celebrate a goal. I even once saw an annoying man in the Family stand who constantly shouts at some children in the front rows to sit down; his view was not blocked and I didn’t even know what he was doing in the Family stand at the first place as he was alone and was not in company of his family.
But in home games you have a choice and you always can avoid this situation by getting a (cheaper) ticket in Block V or Block B.

For away games I just wonder whether it is impossible for the club to devide the tickets at least to two groups, one for back rows and the other for front rows, so you would have a limited option. If this is possible, all the people who wants to sit, can take front rows and others who enjoy standing or at least don't be bothered by it, take the back rows.

Great post.

And may I add that in the short time you've been supporting Palace and the relatively few posts you have made on here you come across as exactly the sort of fan this club needs.:p

Brumie Allan
13-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Woodruff
The problem is that at an away game the tickets are allocated randomly and it is not fair for someone to say 'I'm going to stand and I don't care about anyone else'. I think this is the whole point of this thread and it has been lost. If we fill the away allocation and everyone sits in their seat those who want to stand could be in front of those who want to sit. If as happens now and my son and I do this, is to go and sit where you want, we go near the back so we can sit and stand as we want and not annoy others. I am always aware if the person behind me doesn't stand and that does make me feel awkward. This will only be a problem if the allocation is full but I'm sure the "old Git" who can't or doesn't want to stand will also not want to walk up to the top of the stadium. nobody can force the crowd to stand but I do understand RnBs passion.

Brumie Allan
13-01-2008, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Eagle Of Cray
Great post.

And may I add that in the short time you've been supporting Palace and the relatively few posts you have made on here you come across as exactly the sort of fan this club needs.:p Yes and his English is better then a lot.

webgard
13-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Thanks a lot Brumie Allan and Eagle of Cray, I feel extremely privileged to be part of this community.

Originally posted by Brumie Allan
If as happens now and my son and I do this, is to go and sit where you want, we go near the back so we can sit and stand as we want and not annoy others. I am always aware if the person behind me doesn't stand and that does make me feel awkward. This will only be a problem if the allocation is full but I'm sure the "old Git" who can't or doesn't want to stand will also not want to walk up to the top of the stadium.

So true, as far as I've seen. The Watford game was 'sold out' and my seat was in front row but I still managed to go to the top of the stand, find an empty space and stand for the whole match. Even the stewards who checked my ticket saw that I'm heading to the top of the stand instead of my own seat, but did not stop me of doing so.

I would move if somebody came with a ticket for the seat where I was standing but it didn't happen.

It was exactly the same for QPR away where both upper tier and lower tier were nearly sold out.

ScottHooky
13-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Like others have mentioned it's decency to try not to be a nuisance to the person behind you by standing if they are sitting. In an ideal world I'd rather be standing on a terrace then having to sit down. I'm lucky that by having a season ticket in block B I'm not forced to aquaint my backside with a seat ;) However I understand that when I go away with Palace if the person behind isn't too keen on me blocking their view of the action then I have to sit down.

What p155es me off (and has happened on more then one occasion over the years) is arriving in stadiums where Palace fans have taken up half our allocation -or sometimes much, much less - and then have some moaning pillock decide to come sit behind me (after I've taken up my place) and moan when I stand up. Yep legally they're in the right and arguarbly morally too. The situation is resolved by me moving "seat" as I have done in the past but it never fails to amaze me the mentality of people who seem to deliberately seek out this situation when there are plenty of other places to sit - I'm really not much to look at anyway ;)

The solution of people who want to sit being made to sit towards the front would go down like a lead balloon. Some people want to sit down and have an elevated view and whether you like it or not or think it spoils the atmosphere they have every right to do so.

Away Day Eagle
13-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Oh south london
I hate to say it but Millwalls away support is ten times ours ATM

:confused:

WTF ?

I'll have some the gear you're on, it must be strong as fVck !!

CPFC87
13-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
:confused:

WTF ?

I'll have some the gear you're on, it must be strong as fVck !!

Me 2. How would you actually know that anyway, even though it is bullshit?

Big Patch
13-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by whyteleafeeagle
I think the atmosphere will be red hot at the valley, whole end to be up standing 90 mins - 2nd half non stop N W Red n Blue Army...

I've just got a little bout of butterflies I'm so excited:p

CPFC87
13-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Millwall's home and away support is laughable.

trickyricky66
13-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Its something I feel passionatly about. I jsut do not like the way that everyone always says that our away support is so good when half of us just sit down all game. Thats not support thats just being dull.

Bobby W I am sorry to say this but its fans like you that take the atmosphere away from football. Bobby did you go to Southampton away at the beggining of the season? If so what did you do then cry to a steward and get fans ejected for standing. We need to lose fans like you and get the 'lad' element back at Palace ala Leeds. I hate to say it but Millwalls away support is ten times ours ATM because they do not have old fans moaning about not being able to stand. Its 90 minitues fot crying out loud you must be seriously unfit you are only 50. (If you have a medical condition I am sorry).
:grrr: :veryangry :grrr: :very angry :grrr: :veryangry :grrr: :veryangry
why don't you go and support the scum of south london
then you mug.and to say the Leeds as well.YOU HAVENT BEEN TO THE OLD DEN ,NEW DEN,LEEDS VERY MUCH.AS WE DID SINCE 80S FOR ME AND OTHERS.AND YES IAM SHOUTING:veryangry

trickyricky66
13-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Its something I feel passionatly about. I jsut do not like the way that everyone always says that our away support is so good when half of us just sit down all game. Thats not support thats just being dull.

Bobby W I am sorry to say this but its fans like you that take the atmosphere away from football. Bobby did you go to Southampton away at the beggining of the season? If so what did you do then cry to a steward and get fans ejected for standing. We need to lose fans like you and get the 'lad' element back at Palace ala Leeds. I hate to say it but Millwalls away support is ten times ours ATM because they do not have old fans moaning about not being able to stand. Its 90 minitues fot crying out loud you must be seriously unfit you are only 50. (If you have a medical condition I am sorry).

trickyricky66
13-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by trickyricky66

Still f***ing fuming
I bet you one these middle class brats.
that don't live in the real world. :grrr:

GDP
13-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london


Bobby W I am sorry to say this but its fans like you that take the atmosphere away from football. Bobby did you go to Southampton away at the beggining of the season? If so what did you do then cry to a steward and get fans ejected for standing. We need to lose fans like you and get the 'lad' element back at Palace ala Leeds. I hate to say it but Millwalls away support is ten times ours ATM because they do not have old fans moaning about not being able to stand. Its 90 minitues fot crying out loud you must be seriously unfit you are only 50. (If you have a medical condition I am sorry).

LOL! I hope this was a drunken rant that got a little out of hand because if you actually believe this then your probably supporting the wrong club mate.

Wanting to be more like Millwall? Wanting to get rid of older loyal fans?

I love an atmosphere and a good sing along as much as anyone but if people want to sit then thats their right. Charlton is going to be a cracking atmosphere no matter if people are sitting or standing. Chucking insults left, right and centre is not going to help your cause OSL.

Oh south london
13-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Ok I am sorry for my comment about Millwall and Leeds because I know we do have good away support but something has to be done because as you can see from the posts in this thread alone half of our support wants to stand and half wants to sit. Anyway I guess I will have to wait for the government to change stadia rules in British football.

We are all Palace and I love the club and that will never die and I am sorry if some of you have been offended by my comments.

trickyricky66
13-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Ok I am sorry for my comment about Millwall and Leeds because I know we do have good away support but something has to be done because as you can see from the posts in this thread alone half of our support wants to stand and half wants to sit. Anyway I guess I will have to wait for the government to change stadia rules in British football.

We are all Palace and I love the club and that will never die and I am sorry if some of you have been offended by my comments.
Ok.i calm down now.thanks for the sry. :)

trickyricky66
13-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by trickyricky66
Ok.i calm down now.thanks for the sry. :)
If you did want to use a good example where the supporters know the score WBA .NEXT to us in the away end .they always stand and make loads of noise.THEY are a good family based club to

Selhurst300
13-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ScottHooky
......

What p155es me off (and has happened on more then one occasion over the years) is arriving in stadiums where Palace fans have taken up half our allocation -or sometimes much, much less - and then have some moaning pillock decide to come sit behind me (after I've taken up my place) and moan when I stand up. Yep legally they're in the right and arguarbly morally too. The situation is resolved by me moving "seat" as I have done in the past but it never fails to amaze me the mentality of people who seem to deliberately seek out this situation when there are plenty of other places to sit - I'm really not much to look at anyway ;)

The solution of people who want to sit being made to sit towards the front would go down like a lead balloon. Some people want to sit down and have an elevated view and whether you like it or not or think it spoils the atmosphere they have every right to do so.

Your point in the final para may be the answer to the previous para, i.e. that the person who chooses to sit behind you after you may have selected where to sit on the basis of the view. I think many people stand before the match and at half-time, but sit during the match itself, so the person sitting behind may have assumed resonably that they would be able to watch the match from a seated position.
I have to say that I would have liked to have stood yesterday as the legroom was much worse than cattle class on any airline I've flown with.
But it was interesting to observe the stewards yesterday. The block of Palace fans nearest to the South Stand stood the whole match, as did many of the Wolves fans in the South Stand, but I didn't see any stewards intervene. Two fans about three rows in front of me were told to sit down. It's a numbers game.

EddieEdwards
13-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
We need to lose fans like you and get the 'lad' element back at PalaceAt a lot of away games you can move to wherever you want and stand without causing anybody any inconvenience. At some, you can't. You need to learn that you can't have everything your own way all the time, rather than making unbelievably stupid statements like the above. The suggestion that a long-term, loyal fan should stop going to Palace games, just because he doesn't fit in with your idea of how fans should behave, is truly pathetic.

Ruskin Old Boy
13-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Ok I am sorry for my comment about Millwall and Leeds because I know we do have good away support but something has to be done because as you can see from the posts in this thread alone half of our support wants to stand and half wants to sit. Anyway I guess I will have to wait for the government to change stadia rules in British football.

We are all Palace and I love the club and that will never die and I am sorry if some of you have been offended by my comments.

No offence was taken m8. Just a difference of opinion, the absence of which would make watching football a boring experience. Some good points made on this thread so it was worth a punt, and to be fair you anticipated a backlash.

(Last time I had to stand through a game was Clowns away and I suspect it might be the same again next month; better than not being there.)

ScottHooky
13-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst300
Your point in the final para may be the answer to the previous para, i.e. that the person who chooses to sit behind you after you may have selected where to sit on the basis of the view. I think many people stand before the match and at half-time, but sit during the match itself, so the person sitting behind may have assumed resonably that they would be able to watch the match from a seated position.
I have to say that I would have liked to have stood yesterday as the legroom was much worse than cattle class on any airline I've flown with.
But it was interesting to observe the stewards yesterday. The block of Palace fans nearest to the South Stand stood the whole match, as did many of the Wolves fans in the South Stand, but I didn't see any stewards intervene. Two fans about three rows in front of me were told to sit down. It's a numbers game.

I agree and see your point about why they might sit there. I guess at the games concerned it wouldn't have taken much effort for them to shift along just a few seats to get the same view they wanted but when I'm the one causing the inconvienience I don't have the right to tell them to that. Hence why I've moved in the past.

You're right too about the numbers game. Stewards will always go after the easier two and three and probably rightly so if everyone around them wants to sit.

With regards to some of the other points about the quality of our support on this thread - as someone who wants to stand I appreciate that not everyone who wants to sit down is a mute (as much as not everyone who stands makes noise). It's frustrating to be forced to sit but sadly that's the law.....

....until the revolution ;)

ScottHooky
13-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

(Last time I had to stand through a game was Clowns away and I suspect it might be the same again next month; better than not being there.)

At least Mikele Liegertwood won't be there climbing on Charlton players to force them to sit down near the corner flag this time :sob:

MARK PALACE TILL I DIE
13-01-2008, 05:32 PM
STANDING

Jimbocpfc
13-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Il be standing for 90 mins regardless (and im in row G!) :hi:

Oh south london
13-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Before I start my post I would jsut like to say this is no propaganda stunt but I think this thread has really hilighted the fact that we need a common sence soloution when it comes to standing at football grounds. As you can see byt looking at the posts in this forum some of us want to stand and someof us want to sit so why not give us the option to chooses our prefered preferance? www.standupsitdown.co.uk is a site that are trying to do this so please take a look around and sign up and contribute to the forum.

jamie12
13-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Jimbocpfc
Il be standing for 90 mins regardless (and im in row G!) :hi: WEY-HEY that makes 2 of us!!!:p

DrRock
14-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Oli28
:S:
the only people who are stopping standing are the people who decide to sit. im not saying that people who want to sit are necessarily in the wrong, its just that you are having a dig about standers being selfish, but you are being just as selfish by making other people sit down.

Rubbish. The point is that some people are physcially unable to stand up for the full 90 mins, or are too short to see anything if everyone's standing.
Its not really a hardship as such for those who prefer to stand to sit down. They can still make a racket and no-ones complaining if everyone jumps up when we score.
Also its not nearly as easy standing in seating rows as it used to be on the old terraces [which, despite my rant, I'd like to see return].
Just think about other people and don't be so self-obsessive.

aaronmax
14-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Jimbocpfc
Il be standing for 90 mins regardless (and im in row G!) :hi:


Bollox, taking three kids and in row H!! :(

OldPeanutSeller
14-01-2008, 11:56 AM
The problem is that now there is no choice whether you stand or sit. In the good old days there was. So now, you have seats in the areas that people used to stand. Even if these people are seated for most of the match, it's a fair bet that as soon as the ball reaches the oppo penalty area, someone at the front will stand up in the excitement. This then means that everyone behind them must stand up to be able to see. The result for kids, in my view, is that they actually see less than if they were standing. By the time they have stood up (on their seat) the action has invariably passed. In an all standing terrace, once a kid had established his tunnel of vision, it was rarely impeded.

As for the raspberries and the older folks, they have lost out. In the standing environment, they could sit in the old stand or the AW where everyone wanted to sit and the "stand up in the excitement" factor was less. Now, they are stuffed, because there is no choice.

cpfc@eastbourne
14-01-2008, 12:49 PM
OPS couldn't agree more re the case of kids. When I started to go in the early 80's standing was OK as we got behind a barrier and could always see something. I take a couple of my kids along now, one is a teenager and no probs but the other one is younger and standing does cause an issue, by the time she is on her seat the action has invariably gone. I did like to stand but the seats do make it easier to guaratee a view if everyone remains in general on their bums. It is difficult now as there is no choice.
Having said that I am really looking forward to Charlton and cannot imagine many people being sat down for any length of time, for the occassional match no problem

Neil the Eagle
14-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Oli28
the majority of premiership fans stand at away games, and so do a lot of championship/lower league fans.

How on earth did you come to this conclusion? In my experience, Premiership stewards are far more zealous at Policing this that in the lower leagues.

Oli28
14-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
How on earth did you come to this conclusion? In my experience, Premiership stewards are far more zealous at Policing this that in the lower leagues.
because its true.

eagle 0909907
14-01-2008, 03:27 PM
agree with oh south london it will be great to attain a massive atmosphere make it worth while.

Neil the Eagle
14-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Oli28
because its true.

Based on what evidence?

Oh south london
14-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
Based on what evidence?

Remember we are talking about away support here NTE. Newcastle, Spurs, United, Liverpool, West Ham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa, stand at every single away game and Man City, Portsmouth almost always stand I would say that is a fair few amount of fans. As well as this name me one ground in the premiership where there is not an area some home fans do not persistanly stand?

mattyb21
15-01-2008, 11:25 AM
i enjoy standing at away games but it doesnt spoil my day if i sit down!!! you have to respect peoples rites to sit down

james powell
15-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by cpfc@eastbourne
OSL in shock mention of standing at away games in yet another thread !!!!!

:lux: :D

james powell
15-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Ok I am sorry for my comment about Millwall and Leeds because I know we do have good away support but something has to be done because as you can see from the posts in this thread alone half of our support wants to stand and half wants to sit. Anyway I guess I will have to wait for the government to change stadia rules in British football.

We are all Palace and I love the club and that will never die and I am sorry if some of you have been offended by my comments.

You're a bit of a dick really aren't you mate, you are taking this far too seriously, you should have just made your point and then left it. Ok, you want people to stand, some people can't, won't, and or mainly don't want to break the law.

Leave the people be that want to sit, only block A/B stand at home and we get a good enough noise. I can see where you are coming from but, people that sit down still chant and make noise, i really can't see the difference when i stand at away games and when i sit, i still make the same amount of noise.

CPFC_DAVE77
15-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I hope the vast majority of us are all standing up and making loads of noise, agree with you!!

Heb 7:4
15-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Millwalls away support is ten times ours ATM

I'm sorry, but what the •••• are you on about? Millwall's away support is shit! And they whinge almost as much as tottenham. You've kind of lost any credability you may have had with that statement.

Anyway, I like standing, especially at away games, but it's all about respect. If there is someone who clearly cannot (or even just does not want to) stand you should sit, not make them conform to you. That's just basic manners. As is not shouting "sit down" if someone gets up very occassionally (for a corner they can't quite see, for example).

Dorking .Eagle
15-01-2008, 12:43 PM
I like to sit and join in with the singing. Sure you need the extrovert noisy types to get it started off, but people who want to sit and support should be able to as well.

FWIW I stood in the Arthur Wait enclosure in my late teens until they seated it, then at the back of the Holmesdale Compound 2 until they closed the terrace, but now prefer to take the weight off my feet whilst still getting behind the team

Neil the Eagle
15-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Oh south london
Remember we are talking about away support here NTE. Newcastle, Spurs, United, Liverpool, West Ham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa, stand at every single away game and Man City, Portsmouth almost always stand I would say that is a fair few amount of fans.

That's not evidence that's what you think happens - yes, they appear might stand when they are allowed to, but that's not the same thing.

Try actually talking to season tickets of the home clubs and I think you'll find persistant standing by the majority of the away end is a lot less tolerated than you believe, whatever the club

Lord Flange
15-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
That's not evidence that's what you think happens - yes, they appear might stand when they are allowed to, but that's not the same thing.

Try actually talking to season tickets of the home clubs and I think you'll find persistant standing by the majority of the away end is a lot less tolerated than you believe, whatever the club

Your point of view is neither evidence Neil.

Judging by the wide spectrum of fans that post views on SUSD I would have to agree with OSL on this point.

Standing amoung away fans in the PL is now virtually the norm.

Stewards are only a 'problem' if away fans numbers are small. which explains why only a handful of the lesser supported teams like Wigan, Fulham or Middlesborough dont have a reputation for standing.

New LP
15-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Heb 7:4
I'm sorry, but what the •••• are you on about? Millwall's away support is shit! And they whinge almost as much as tottenham. You've kind of lost any credability you may have had with that statement.



I think he is judging Millwall on the one game that they actually take any fans to and that's for their cup final against us at Selhurst Park. Not the 50 or 60 that they manage to take to most away games.

Eagle Of Cray
16-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Brumie Allan
Yes and his English is better then a lot.

Totally agree.

BTW did you mean than as opposed to then? ;)

laggin
17-01-2008, 12:13 AM
palace are a club who has a nice mixture of vocal support, this includes the older generation and families. this can sometimes be a problem away when they want to sit at the back with the usual loud standing gang, because they sometimes wish to sit. but usually if there is space they go to the front. quite a few older fans and families do stand and sing at the back too, which is great. yes there is a problem when we sell out an away end you are all mixed in together and as previously mentioned would be good idea for the away supporter to ask for a certain area when purchacing their ticket. we are quite lucky really though as other clubs always sit ie blackburn bolton and fulham and others always stand ie man u, spurs and west ham but we have a good blend and are usually loud away fans whatever. local derbys and big games tend to result in everyone standing but a lot of the other games generally depends on the stadium and attitude of stewards

james powell
17-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by webgard
I'm shocked by some of the posts in this thread.

In my opinion, one of the greatest things about Palace support is it is perfectly mixed. We have old and young fans, families and vocal young supporters all together home and away. And I can't imagine how this community can be same if you eliminate part of it, especially a vital part of it.

If you love a club, it means you love its history and origins. The history of the club is not in the mass produced books you can buy in the club shop. The history is carried by old lads who tell you about their first hand stories of your beloved team during 60's and 70's.

As much as I love standing and being vocal, and that's why I prefer to don't sit in Main Stand unless I have to, I can't imagine someone even think about denying older fans (or people with disability) the right to sit at the stadium and enjoy the game.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm totally annoyed by some fans in the main stand who will shout "Siddown, Shut up" if you just stand for 1 minute to celebrate a goal. I even once saw an annoying man in the Family stand who constantly shouts at some children in the front rows to sit down; his view was not blocked and I didn’t even know what he was doing in the Family stand at the first place as he was alone and was not in company of his family.
But in home games you have a choice and you always can avoid this situation by getting a (cheaper) ticket in Block V or Block B.

For away games I just wonder whether it is impossible for the club to devide the tickets at least to two groups, one for back rows and the other for front rows, so you would have a limited option. If this is possible, all the people who wants to sit, can take front rows and others who enjoy standing or at least don't be bothered by it, take the back rows.

:p

cardiffeagle
17-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by james powell


Leave the people be that want to sit, only block A/B stand at home and we get a good enough noise.


No noise is 'good enough' you can always be louder...

You must try harder:)

Standing helps in this:p