PDA

View Full Version : Another post on all things Bristol City

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 11:59 AM
ok, first of all congrats on the win guys. Deserved.

Few things as response to the game, some things posted on here, our message board etc etc.

RESULT- Deserved win for your boys. We may have had a good amount of the game but did not penetrate. You guys always looked a bit dangerous going forward.

PALACE- Solid at the back, strong in the middle (Derry). Good performance.

CITY- Poor performance. No-one played well from our point of view and some usually solid players were poor (Basso, McCombe) and others were average (Elliott).

STYLE- It's not having a go at all but you do play long-ball. It's not just a Warnock thing- last time I saw you under Taylor it appeared that way as well. Some of you have tried to deny it but in my opinion you do lump it. BUT that's not an excuse to lose. It's up to you what style you play. You don't do it ALL the time (I have seen far far worse!). It's up for us to combat it and on Saturday we failed. For some reason we abandoned our passing game and tried to match you in the air and that was daft. I've not seen us play such a long-ball game for a long time either.

COMPLAINTS FOR YOU- Penalties- can't remember there was one I saw that I thought it was but I've not seen replays yet and the view I had was crap. Bookings- yeah Sproule and McIndoe got wound right up- you had achieved what you wanted there.

COMPLAINTS FOR US- Nothing on the score. Just that I found the side clever/cynical depending which way you look at it. I think this is more of a Warnock thing. Every time we looked like we may break there was a tug, foul etc. Now it clearly wound us up- but from your POV it's clever play because the fouls, while in dangerous positions for us, were always high up the pitch and so would not be punished by bookings etc.

Ummm....not much else really. Felt you were good for a win on the day. We played badly, you played well.

budgie
21-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Obviously, you will look at it from your POV, as we will look at it from ours too.

However, I would be interested in your opinion of the referee, who I along with many other Palace fans thought was terrible, and seemed to favour Bristol to a ridiculous degree.

Also you mention the cynical defending from Palace, which I didn't see, how did you view the assaults from some of your players, after they found the referee wasn't punishing previous tackles.

This isn't having a go, it's simply asking whether you viewed it differently from most Palace fans.

Lord Flange
21-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Percy Parrot

STYLE- It's not having a go at all but you do play long-ball. It's not just a Warnock thing- last time I saw you under Taylor it appeared that way as well. Some of you have tried to deny it but in my opinion you do lump

We all want to watch nice football. Problem is I have seen too many Palace managers try and fail to deliver it effectively.

Taylor was very much a 'footballing' manager for us despite what you think but by god it was slow and boring and we very rarely won.

To be honest most of us have had such a frustrating time in the last few years that we couldnt give a flying f*ck how high we kick the ball in the air as long as it ends uo in the oppositions net.

Personally I think its the best way out of this turgid division.

I would however have concerns with the style we have adopted should we get promoted as I think that we would be sussed out with alarming repercussions....just like Sunderland and Watford have found out in recent seasons.

calne eagle
21-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Lord Flange
We all want to watch nice football. Problem is I have seen too many Palace managers try and fail to deliver it effectively.

Taylor was very much a 'footballing' manager for us despite what you think but by god it was slow and boring and we very rarely won.

To be honest most of us have had such a frustrating time in the last few years that we couldnt give a flying f*ck how high we kick the ball in the air as long as it ends uo in the oppositions net.

I would however have concerns with the style we have adopted should we get promoted as I think that we would be sussed out with alarming repercussions....just like Sunderland and Watford have found out in recent seasons.

I cannot disagree with a single word of that.

Godstone Eagle
21-01-2008, 12:19 PM
To be honest, with the conditions on Saturday, it made for a more direct style kind of game. I agree that we were direct, but so were Bristol City. City should have dealt far better with it, both of their centre backs were huge and towered over Scowcroft, yet he gave them a torrid time especially early on in the game. As for City's keeper, he had a mare. Citys best chances in the game came through direct balls in the box, which Speroni on both occasions tipped over the bar. Another point to be made that the difference between the teams was the goalkeepers.

BOTH teams got stuck in, and there were things going on from both sides. It wasnt a pretty game thats for sure, but it was a real good fierce contest, and exactly what i expected with two teams towards the top of the table.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Get lost you Bristol City scummer :hi:

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
21-01-2008, 12:20 PM
It's up for us to combat it and on Saturday we failed. For some reason we abandoned our passing game and tried to match you in the air and that was daft. I've not seen us play such a long-ball game for a long time either. Thank you for you comments, I'm not actually a fan of Away Fans posting in General Palace Discussion rather than the Away Fans End but that's another matter ;) :D

I certainly did think that you played a lot of long-ball yourselves, and I think it is harsh to categorise our game as such - although we will certainly take advantage if Scowcroft etc. appear to be winning the aerial battle.

I think we did frustrate your players by clamping down and preventing you from playing your game, but I also believe that your players quickly saw a referee who was willing to give free kicks very easily and subsequently tried to rely on play-acting to gain back some ground.

In turn this was frustrating for the Palace players and I thought at one point we were going to see a mass brawl as the ref let control of the game slip away.

Gooders
21-01-2008, 12:22 PM

STYLE- It's not having a go at all but you do play long-ball. It's not just a Warnock thing- last time I saw you under Taylor it appeared that way as well. Some of you have tried to deny it but in my opinion you do lump it. BUT that's not an excuse to lose. It's up to you what style you play. You don't do it ALL the time (I have seen far far worse!). It's up for us to combat it and on Saturday we failed. For some reason we abandoned our passing game and tried to match you in the air and that was daft. I've not seen us play such a long-ball game for a long time either.

See now you have it right. We do play long ball. But we don't play it all the time - we mix it up a bit.

Certain journo's are accusing us of being like Wimbledon were but we are a million miles away from being that one-dimensional.

Watford and Bolton are far better examples of playing the Wimbledon way, IMHO.

I thought your lot started well and lost their way after about 20 minutes. Whether or not that's because we were doing our jobs so effectively is open to debate.

The referee favoured Bristol to a ridiculous degree - the "you don't know what you're doing" chant only ever comes along so vociferously when it's fully deserved, IMHO.

wholethedougin!
21-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Long ball....how very dare you....! Just kidding.

I thought that we played long ball as your defenders weren't winning the 1st ball or 2nd ball......all our chances came from your defenders in ability to win 1st or 2nd ball and clear it.......

I would gladly watch long ball football if our run continues....

Brett
21-01-2008, 12:25 PM
"I found the side clever/cynical depending which way you look at it"

You've got some front, I'll give you that.

We'll overlook McIndoe smashing his elbow into the side of Lawrence's head. The out and out assaults on Scowcroft. The horror lunges on Derry and Morrison. The diving and weasling of your midfield and attack, especially McIndoe and Elliott. Trundle falling over thin air twice when he came on. Bradley Orr refereeing the game. Gary Johnson working your fans up into a foam-mouthed frenzy before kick-off.

JHC - Don't dish it out if you can't handle it coming back a bit.

old geezer
21-01-2008, 12:25 PM
This is a snesible and balanced series of posts on this theme. Thought the BCFC fans comments were very interesting.
Thought the referee was very bad. I hope his FA assessment reflected that but my cyncial view of ever thing FA leads me to beleive it will be ignored even if it is reported.
I particularly enjoyed our victory as I was made redundant by BCFC fan. Before then it was a club I had always had a soft spot for but not any more I am afraid.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
21-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by wholethedougin!
I thought that we played long ball as your defenders weren't winning the 1st ball or 2nd ball......all our chances came from your defenders in ability to win 1st or 2nd ball and clear it....... Yes! But as Gooders said, 'we mix it up a bit' - i.e we will change our game and play what is working. What's wrong with that?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-01-2008, 12:27 PM

and the view I had was crap.

Your Mum's crap :hi:

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Brett
"I found the side clever/cynical depending which way you look at it"

You've got some front, I'll give you that.

I think we were cynical/clever in terms of giving away some fouls on the half-way line before they could get any momentum going. Derry did this on several ocassions - deliberately giving away a free-kick. Its intelligent play

Godstone Eagle
21-01-2008, 12:30 PM
and the view I had was crap.

Probably because your fans were too busy causing trouble.

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash
Your Mum's crap :hi:

Your dad's worse!

And as for that brother of yours....

Son of Selhurst
21-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Warnock's tactics are to win the game. If he starts with long-ball and the opposition struggle with it, then he will stick with it. I'm sure that if City showed they could deal with it,the tactics would have changed.

He'll only fix it when it's broke.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
21-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by old geezer
Thought the referee was very bad. I hope his FA assessment reflected that but my cyncial view of ever thing FA leads me to beleive it will be ignored even if it is reported. I wondered about this. We've had a few dodgy refs and a few dodgy decisions but for the first time this season I actually started to wonder about how we can make sure this clown doesn't ref another game again. The observers / 4th officials tend to refs themselves who back each other up, don't they?

Brett
21-01-2008, 12:34 PM
I think we were cynical/clever in terms of giving away some fouls on the half-way line before they could get any momentum going. Derry did this on several ocassions - deliberately giving away a free-kick. Its intelligent play

It's all cynical play. Whether it's cute fouls on the half-way line or diving around the box or hacking people to bits when you see the referee won't take any action.

I'm not saying we aren't cynical but let's not pretend that BC are a team of angels who only lost because of those nasty South London ruffians.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Your dad's worse!

And as for that brother of yours....

Your brother's gay

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Godstone Eagle
Probably because your fans were too busy causing trouble.

yaawwwn. Actually because the pillars, fact that I was stood in the aisle etc

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Brett

I'm not saying we aren't cynical but let's not pretend that BC are a team of angels who only lost because of those nasty South London ruffians.

I don't think the post said anything like that to be honest. He quite clearly says that we won cause we played well and they lost cause they didn't

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
21-01-2008, 12:39 PM
yaawwwn. Actually because the pillars, fact that I was stood in the aisle etc There are some restricted views in The Arthur Waite Stand, it is true. My Sheffield Wednesday mate once got a ticket directly behind 'the pillar' - he couldn't see either goal :D

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by budgie
Obviously, you will look at it from your POV, as we will look at it from ours too.

However, I would be interested in your opinion of the referee, who I along with many other Palace fans thought was terrible, and seemed to favour Bristol to a ridiculous degree.

Also you mention the cynical defending from Palace, which I didn't see, how did you view the assaults from some of your players, after they found the referee wasn't punishing previous tackles.

This isn't having a go, it's simply asking whether you viewed it differently from most Palace fans.

Thought ref was crap but to follow up on posts by you and some others on here- I didn't see any nasty tackles or elbows from our guys (but as I said my view was crap).

I actually felt that while the game was a bit touchy there wasn't much. I felt that you guys were putting in cynical (not violent) challenges and our guys were getting wound up by it. That's why there was a bit of pushing on occasions. Nothing more.

To pick up on things like that one of your guys kicked Byfield on the floor near to the dugouts. Was the other side of the pitch so to tell how hard without replays is difficult. I really should get back to work soon

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels
There are some restricted views in The Arthur Waite Stand, it is true. My Sheffield Wednesday mate once got a ticket directly behind 'the pillar' - he couldn't see either goal :D

Lucky guy! I'd have paid to stand behind a pillar on Sat!

Brett
21-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't think the post said anything like that to be honest. He quite clearly says that we won cause we played well and they lost cause they didn't

We'll agree to disagree.

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Lord Flange

As I said- you need to be able to mix it. We played lovely football for 6 odd years and failed to go up. We went up last season because we won 90% of our wins with passing football. On those days it didn't work we'd get a goal from a corner or something. Most importantly you need to be able to defend it (like we didn't on Sat)

Lords Eagle
21-01-2008, 12:44 PM

I actually felt that while the game was a bit touchy there wasn't much. I felt that you guys were putting in cynical (not violent) challenges and our guys were getting wound up by it. That's why there was a bit of pushing on occasions. Nothing more.

I assume you couldn't/didn't watch your centre backs then, Every time the ball came to Scowcroft he wasn't challenged he was assaulted!

Percy Parrot
Your brother's gay

I can't believe you've told me this on the BBS. I'm calling your mum now to tell her what you told me.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
ok, first of all congrats on the win guys. Deserved.

Felt you were good for a win on the day. We played badly, you played well.

Well if you read this Brett, then I find it hard to see how you can disagree

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by wholethedougin!

I would gladly watch long ball football if our run continues....

Of course you would. Win every game 1-0 with a long ball you'd still take it. It's just when it goes wrong that the fans get annoyed with direct play.

Brett
Well if you read this Brett, then I find it hard to see how you can disagree

It's all the buts and mitigation afterwards I have a problem with.

Like I say, agree to disagree.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
I can't believe you've told me this on the BBS. I'm calling your mum now to tell her what you told me.

Leave my Mum alone you tw@t! :veryangry

Clapham Grand
care to share your views on the CSF shenanigans PP?

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Lords Eagle
I assume you couldn't/didn't watch your centre backs then, Every time the ball came to Scowcroft he wasn't challenged he was assaulted!

This is definitely a perspective thing because I felt Scowcroft was giving hand-offs and pushes all the time too.

Perhaps they were all as bad as each other but on the day Scowcroft got the better of our guys.

kolinkins
21-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Percy Parrot, I sit in the Holmesdale, to your left. There was a challenge on Clinton where your guy came in, heels and studs showing, knee high on Clinton and dragged it down on Clinton’s leg. It was a potential leg breaker, shocking “tackle”. And the ref, stood 10 yards away, waved play-on. That summed up the match he had. City were far dirtier a side than I imagined.

kolinkins
21-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Percy Parrot, I sit in the Holmesdale, to your left. There was a challenge on Clinton where your guy came in, heels and studs showing, knee high on Clinton and dragged it down on Clinton’s leg. It was a potential leg breaker, shocking “tackle”. And the ref, stood 10 yards away, waved play-on. That summed up the match he had. City were far dirtier a side than I imagined.

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Leave my Mum alone you tw@t! :veryangry

ok- I'll just punch my brother in the face?

CHERRY TREE BRB
21-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Bristol City, one of the 'dirtiest' teams I've seen this season, but not suprised, when we scored early doors probably messed up their coming for a point plan, so had to result to trying to kick us off the pitch instead.

CHERRY TREE BRB
Bristol City, one of the 'dirtiest' teams I've seen this season, but not suprised, when we scored early doors probably messed up their coming for a point plan, so had to result to trying to kick us off the pitch instead.

CHERRY TREE BRB

CHERRY TREE BRB

CHERRY TREE BRB
21-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-01-2008, 12:56 PM
ok- I'll just punch my brother in the face?

Whatever :rolleyes:

Gooders
21-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by CHERRY TREE BRB

Pardon?

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
care to share your views on the CSF shenanigans PP?

In true Wenger stylee I couldn't see it as I was sat in that stand and I'd far rather watch the game than stand on a seat to watch a load of sad old men who clearly lack sex get all angry.

So I have no idea what happened, what sparked it but anyone who got involved is an idiot. Unfortunately City do occasionally attract some idiots away from home. When we have a largeish following, pay-on-the day and unreserved seating it sometimes happens. Very surprised it happened at Palace-first time for a while. Unfortunate but would rather not concern myself with them.

You'd be unsurprised to hear that I never see people like that at Doncaster away etc.

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Whatever :rolleyes:

Have you heard about your sister!?!

calne eagle
21-01-2008, 01:21 PM
What with the echo, and the sibling rivalry, this is getting quite confusing.....

Oisin
21-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by CHERRY TREE BRB

You can say that again

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by calne eagle
What with the echo, and the sibling rivalry, this is getting quite confusing.....

No sibling rivalry- I'm nicer, smarter, better looking, support a better football team.... ;)

Kirby
21-01-2008, 01:58 PM
To pick up on things like that one of your guys kicked Byfield on the floor near to the dugouts.

That was Byfield on Lawrence! Blatant!!

PalaceMonkey
21-01-2008, 02:09 PM
can't believe he wasn't sent off for that, and it wasn't even a card!

calne eagle
21-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Poor Terry Byfield.

And he's not even a player.....

;)

Ruskin Old Boy
21-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Kirby

It was.

But it was retaliation for the unpunished foul by Lawrence on the edge of our box which the ref missed

PalaceMonkey
21-01-2008, 02:44 PM
I also missed that foul, was Lawrence's one a sending off offence?

smileysmith
21-01-2008, 03:08 PM
You'd be unsurprised to hear that I never see people like that at Doncaster away etc. Now there is a shock. :hmph:

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Kirby

the kick out afterwards I was referring to

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Have you heard about your sister!?!

And your sister probably got pregnant by a strange man she'd known for about 2 weeks and who plays 'boule' and darts

Ruskin Old Boy
21-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
I also missed that foul, was Lawrence's one a sending off offence?

Bookable ... but the free kick would have been in a dangerous position

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 03:57 PM
And your sister probably got pregnant by a strange man she'd known for about 2 weeks and who plays 'boule' and darts

your sister probably gets engaged to a guy who plays that guitar game on the computer and sells train books.

No...really!

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 04:00 PM
one other thing to add that I haven't:

thanks to all the Palace fans who I did meet on Sat. Unfortunately due to Eddie's Tash and I only returning home at 6:20 on Saturday morning we didn't wake up quite as early as we may have liked.

But Street took me on a night out and was good banter.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-01-2008, 05:10 PM
your sister probably gets engaged to a guy who plays that guitar game on the computer and sells train books.

No...really!

I know!!!!
There I was on here just slagging her off for letting him give her a baby Sophie. Ten minutes later I read my phone and find that the silly slug has got engaged to him too!!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-01-2008, 05:11 PM

Unfortunately due to Eddie's Tash and I only returning home at 6:20 on Saturday morning we didn't wake up quite as early as we may have liked.

I'm blaming that one on Masters

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I know!!!!
There I was on here just slagging her off for letting him give her a baby Sophie. Ten minutes later I read my phone and find that the silly slug has got engaged to him too!!

PS I never thought she'd get married

Percy Parrot
21-01-2008, 05:22 PM
PS I never thought she'd get married

For anyone confused-

we love our sister
we love Sophie
we love Masters
we love each other.

All happy days

AndyStreet
21-01-2008, 06:48 PM
one other thing to add that I haven't:

thanks to all the Palace fans who I did meet on Sat. Unfortunately due to Eddie's Tash and I only returning home at 6:20 on Saturday morning we didn't wake up quite as early as we may have liked.

But Street took me on a night out and was good banter. I'm always good banter, you carrot cruncher! Glad you enjoyed it, even if you did look like you were about to cry after Warno's wonders took your boys apart. ;)