PDA

View Full Version : Would we play on-the-deck footy if Moses was in for Scowie?

marky1919
24-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Firstly, I'd just like to confirm I think Scowie's doing a great job for us at the moment and I love him to bits. Also, we have no right to change a winning formula.

But was just thinking, should an injury occur to Scowie, we could surely play football far more on the deck? Scowcroft is the only reason we currently play the long ball.

Moses typifies the ball-to-feet speedy, creative striker we've been crying out for, and would enforce our other players to play more of a passing game. Now I admit, we don't quite have the players to do this yet, as we are still lacking width, but it's certainly potentially possible, is it not?

limited_edition
24-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Moses will also come deep to collect the ball and create stuff as well as try to beat defenders. A bit like Rooney used to before he teamed up with Tevez.

I think Morrison's link up play on the deck is also good. I think him and Victor could team up well.

Heb 7:4
24-01-2008, 11:15 AM
I couldn't care less if we play the ball on the deck or not, as long as we keep winning.

We play it on the deck a fair bit at the moment if you ask me anyway, but can mix it up with balls in the air which I think is best, but why mess with a winning formula?

andrew
24-01-2008, 11:25 AM
i dont think moses is as quick as people think he beats players with his skill more then his pace

stevek
24-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Why is everyone so determined to change the formula that has left us 15 games unbeaten, with 6 wins in the last 7?

kolinkins
24-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by stevek
Why is everyone so determined to change the formula that has left us 15 games unbeaten, with 6 wins in the last 7?

It's crazy, isnt it? A bit like the people who wanted Freedman in for Ships on our last big promotion push. (though I am displaying double standards here, I want to see Fonte in for Lawrence, the difference is though that would not alter our style of play, whereas Danns for Soares, Moses for Scow or Freedman for Ships would)

Random*
24-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
It's crazy, isnt it? A bit like the people who wanted Freedman in for Ships on our last big promotion push. (though I am displaying double standards here, I want to see Fonte in for Lawrence, the difference is though that would not alter our style of play, whereas Danns for Soares, Moses for Scow or Freedman for Ships would)

Easy there - marky's not advocating change, just asking for hypotheses of what would happen if Scowie was replaced with Moses.

kolinkins
24-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Random*
Easy there - marky's not advocating change, just asking for hypotheses of what would happen if Scowie was replaced with Moses.

I know, I was responding to Steve.

In answer to the thread starter - I would hope so!

marky1919
24-01-2008, 11:46 AM

On the contrary, I quite clearly did state that we shouldn't change a winning formula. I just said could it not be an option if Scowie were to get injured?

limited_edition
24-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Why is everyone so determined to change the formula that has left us 15 games unbeaten, with 6 wins in the last 7? It's just a plan B up our sleeve should we need it. At the mo, we are relying a lot on the defensive mistakes of others at setpieces to get us goals. We still don't create enough from open play.

You can see that NW wants to change it a bit through his subs when he changes formation later in games. Eg Hills comes on as an attacking left sider and often Clint or Scannell goes off, so we can go 4-4-2.

FromSelhurst
24-01-2008, 11:52 AM
scowie is pivotal. moses for scannel though ..

montstar
24-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I think you cant just have one option with scowie we can go long or play it out wide to scannel/ifill etc Though where Moses will fit into this im not sure t depends if Warnock will play him wide or in the hole even in a 4311 formation or similar - guess we'll just have to wait and see

FromSelhurst
24-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by montstar
I think you cant just have one option with scowie we can go long or play it out wide to scannel/ifill etc Though where Moses will fit into this im not sure t depends if Warnock will play him wide or in the hole even in a 4311 formation or similar - guess we'll just have to wait and see

4 3 1 1 would be very disadvantageous.

montstar
24-01-2008, 12:03 PM
i know im just hypothesizing really, Im pretty sure Warnock wants to goto a 442 though he has obviously hit on something with our 433 and would be mad to change it at the moment!

Though im not sure where the 442 leaves Moses

And before someone else says it players win games not formations!

cpfc4evandeva
24-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by montstar

And before someone else says it players win games not formations!

Even 10 players?

Dorking .Eagle
24-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Moses made his biggest impression on me in one of the home pre-season games - think it was Everton but could be wrong.

Anyway, after coming on as a sub, within 10 minutes, he showed how strong he was on the ball, how good he was with the ball at his feet, and how good he was at drawing fouls.

I've seen him a few times since then in various matches at different levels and not notcied him so much, but agree that if (god forbid) we did lose Scowie and chose to play Moses instead, then a more on the deck approach would be appropriate

limited_edition
24-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle
Moses made his biggest impression on me in one of the home pre-season games - think it was Everton but could be wrong.

Anyway, after coming on as a sub, within 10 minutes, he showed how strong he was on the ball, how good he was with the ball at his feet, and how good he was at drawing fouls. Moses was quite quiet v Everton. Think it was the Anderlecht game where he made more of an impression.

stevek
24-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by marky1919
On the contrary, I quite clearly did state that we shouldn't change a winning formaula. I just said could it not be an option if Scowie were to get injured? Yes, I know. But there just seem to be lots of threads with people saying change this or that and it seems bizarre to me. Much that I don't rate him, the first option if Scowie gets injured with be to play Shefki.

Ready Teddy
24-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm only the one who likes they way we just smash everything that comes before us? I love the way we play at the moment. No easy ride against C.P anymore for anyone, you will face a well organised, good set piece team who's up for it anytime, anyplace.

stevek
24-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Spot on Teddy.

UEAgle
24-01-2008, 12:33 PM
You can still play football and smash teams and get in their faces. Look at Everton.

sydnsteve
24-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I like where we are, and the team spirit, but not the way we play. But as long as we keep winning it would be impossible to change.
I also have been very harsh on JS, who I owe an apology to. He gives his all in every single game, and whilst not a brilliant player, he cannot be dropped.
If he was injured, or the wheels did start to come off the wagon, we do now have the players to change formation and the way we play.

GanbareWashi
24-01-2008, 02:38 PM
We now have plenty of options which must be a good thing. I just feel sorry for the Doog as I can not even see him getting on the bench now.

alaneagle
24-01-2008, 02:40 PM
i think moses for scannell is the most likely way he is getting in the side at the moment, i think a bit of rotation between the two would be good

cpfc4evandeva
24-01-2008, 02:43 PM
What I don't get is how everyone's attitude seems to be that our football isn't attractive. This is the most exciting stuff I've seen us play since Jan-June04.

Sure we play a few long balls to Scowcroft but not a riddiculous amount.

Watson is spraying around beautiful balls all over the place, Derry is controlling half the games he plays in and Scannel is beating players constantly and has scored a few.

Not only that but the pure commitment on show from the likes of Clint Hill, Scowcroft and Matty Lawrence is, imo, a joy to watch!

montstar
24-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I am enjoying watching palace at the moment and not just because we are winning/not losing - though it helps - though i can obviously see how it would get boring!D But because we are playing with some passion ni typical Warnock style. But I think some people are getting ahead of themselves in terms of how we are playing because if we were to get promoted we havent got an aj or similar at present and premiership teams are a lot bigger than championship ones!

presuming ed
24-01-2008, 03:10 PM
if your a palace fan, we're definately great to watch. not sure our style of play would please many purists mind. warnock is getting incredible results out of what on paper is a fairly mediocre squad. half of this is down to the tactics and playing to our strengths. personally i'd like the tactics to evolve to more of a passing game as the squad improves, but at the moment we'd be mad to change the system.

dave_who_ru
24-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by marky1919
Now I admit, we don't quite have the players to do this yet

I knew there was a fault in your plan;)

limited_edition
24-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by UEAgle
You can still play football and smash teams and get in their faces. Look at Everton. Exactly. They hardly hoof it.

Chester 76
24-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
It's crazy, isnt it? A bit like the people who wanted Freedman in for Ships on our last big promotion push. (though I am displaying double standards here, I want to see Fonte in for Lawrence, the difference is though that would not alter our style of play, whereas Danns for Soares, Moses for Scow or Freedman for Ships would) I remember the game against Reading when Shipperley was suspended. In the second half Reading penned us in our own half for long periods because we didn`t have anyone able to keep possession upfront.Scowcroft`s role is invaluable & shouldn`t be dispensed with lightly.

palace_burger
25-01-2008, 12:06 AM

I won't be happy untill we have 8 wins in the last 7 ;) he he

Seriously though i think we do actually play it about a bit at the moment. *if* Moses is fast we are more likely to play it over the top al la AJ?

sydnsteve
25-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Played hoofball vs Norwich and Bristol for the most part. I'm not knocking it or asking for a change while it works, but no point in pretending black is white.
I have hope from SU that NW will mix it up more in time. We are now far exceeding the sum of our parts as a team, which is the sign of a really good manager.