PDA

View Full Version : Freedman: I Hope It's Not The End

ZOHAR
16-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Eagles legend speaks to Advertiser

Dougie Freedman has told the Advertiser that he sincerely hopes he has not kicked his last ball for Crystal Palace.

But the striker admits that he understands if the club will attempt to offload him in the summer.

The former Scottish international has enjoyed a successful loan spell at Leeds United, scoring four goals in seven appearances since his loan move in March.

Speaking to the Advertiser yesterday, Eagles boss Neil Warnock hinted that the Eagles legend may have made his final competitive appearance for the Palace by saying: "When Dougie went to Leeds I wanted him to enjoy it.

"If he had been here then I wouldn't have gone in for Sinclair and Moses probably wouldn't have had a chance to play so it's worked out quite well for us.

"I think it's important for us to look forward."

And when asked whether he would recall the striker if his side reached the play-offs, Warnock said: "I will only call him back if we are hit with injuries."

And speaking to the Advertiser, Freedman, who still has a year left to run on his Palace deal, said he hopes he has not put on the red and blue shirt for the final time - but realises his time as a Selhurst Park player could be coming to an end.

When asked whether he thought his Eagles career was over he said: "I hope not - but I understand the direction the club are going in with the younger players.

"I still feel I have the club something to offer on the pitch."

For the full story see Friday's Advertiser

ZOHAR
16-04-2008, 04:50 PM
DOUGIE Freedman has decided he is definitely not hanging up his boots in the summer - and it’s too soon for a coaching role at Crystal Palace.

The Eagles legend is currently on loan at Leeds, where he has scored four goals in nine appearances for the League One promotion chasers.

And Freedman’s displays since heading up to Elland Road have convinced him he still has plenty to offer as a player - even if it might throw his Palace future into doubt.

The Scot, who has just over one year left on his current deal, knows there is the offer of a coaching role in SE25 next season but may have to move on if he does not figure in manager Neil Warnock’s first-team plans.

"Much as I would love to coach at Palace the timing is just wrong," said Freedman, who believes taking charge of the Eagles reserve team earlier in the season was a factor in his displays dipping.

"My time at Leeds has told me I will definitely be carrying on playing and hopefully that will be at Palace.

"I literally pick up my boots and shinpads at Leeds and go out and score a few goals which has been really nice - it takes me back to my younger days - and I’ve been getting a few pats on the back.

"If I go back to Palace I will be going back as a player.

"The coaching has come one or two years too soon - and that’s been proved by the fact I’m doing well for another club. I thought before I joined Leeds that I might still have something to offer.

"If Neil Warnock decides I won’t be playing and doesn’t want me that is when I will have a decision to make."

S0UTH LONDON PRESS

kolinkins
16-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ZOHAR
"If he had been here then I wouldn't have gone in for Sinclair and Moses probably wouldn't have had a chance to play so it's worked out quite well for us.

Makes the Leeds move very good for Palace then!

glaziers fan
16-04-2008, 05:01 PM
ridiculous. Can we not have age and experience? I would rather Dougie on the bench ahead of Robinson in a play-off final any day of the week. Seems silly to me.

Sinclair and Moses always needed to play. Dougie for me is the number one player in the division to have on your bench. This is because he has a magnificent footballing brain and actually analyses where he could make a difference if he were to come on. Bring him back for ••••s sake.:veryangry :veryangry

Next season is a different matter but for this season i would bring him back to sit on the bench.

Trist
16-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
ridiculous. Can we not have age and experience? I would rather Dougie on the bench ahead of Robinson in a play-off final any day of the week. Seems silly to me.

Sinclair and Moses always needed to play. Dougie for me is the number one player in the division to have on your bench. This is because he has a magnificent footballing brain and actually analyses where he could make a difference if he were to come on. Bring him back for ••••s sake.:veryangry :veryangry

Next season is a different matter but for this season i would bring him back to sit on the bench.
Agree with you completely... well except the last bit. I still think Dougie would have something to offer next season too.

Yes maybe not in a starting role but he's an option that we otherwise don't have & we're not exactly overflowing with strikers. Clint, Scowie & the kids (I'm not even bothering to include Shefki anymore)... we need more than that going into a full season.

cad
16-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Most Leeds fans were very sceptical when he signed on loan for them but his goals and performances since then have won over the doubters and rapidly elevated him to the kind of status he enjoys amongst the fans at Selhurst. I can see them fighting tooth and nail to keep him.

cj_saunders
16-04-2008, 05:20 PM

but the problem is that we can afford to pay Sinclair's, Ashton's and Reid's wages because we got offloaded Kuqi and Freedman out on loan. if we had Freedam and Sinclair may we would be over budjet?

Trist
16-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by cj_saunders
but the problem is that we can afford to pay Sinclair's, Ashton's and Reid's wages because we got offloaded Kuqi and Freedman out on loan. if we had Freedam and Sinclair may we would be over budjet?
We'll be hopefully offloading some more dead wood over the summer (step forward Mark Kennedy) so maybe we can still hold onto him.

budgie
16-04-2008, 05:38 PM
The problem being though, is Dougie isn't content with a place on the bench, and NW doesn't consider him to be a starting player.

If Dougie wants to continue playing, I'm afraid it won't be at the Palace.

Sussex Eagle
16-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by budgie
The problem being though, is Dougie isn't content with a place on the bench, and NW doesn't consider him to be a starting player.

If Dougie wants to continue playing, I'm afraid it won't be at the Palace.
I think Dougie would be pretty content to sit on the bench every week for Palace and get 30 minutes here and there in amongst Warnock's Whippersnappers actually - it is that NW seems unsure if he even wants him for that :(

pennycreed
16-04-2008, 05:42 PM
If we reach the playoffs Dougie has to be on the bench, he's our good luck charm and can turn a game on it's head if required.

No4 Son
16-04-2008, 11:27 PM
nice to see rose tinted glasses are in high stock at Palace

Ridcully
16-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Good luck Dougie enjoy your last couple of years of playing, you've been a great role model for Palace and I hope you'll be back one day in the future in a coaching role. Thanks also for this...

"If he had been here then I wouldn't have gone in for Sinclair and Moses probably wouldn't have had a chance to play so it's worked out quite well for us."

marky1919
16-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Let's hope he definitely gets his Palace testimonial sometime soon!

Harry Holmesdale
17-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Seeing him charging around for Leeds was a little annoying as the times he has played for us this season he has strolled... I am sorry to say

Reminds me of his debut when he cam back second time, he was everywhere.. few games later appeared to me to be in a comfort zone, and yes I know all about the Dougie magic, but sadly that rarely materialises for us anymore.. think he has played his last game for us

sydnsteve
17-04-2008, 09:03 AM
More Warnock speak I think. It is a nonsense to suggest DF being here or not would have affected either Sinclair coming or Moses playing, as DF was not in the line up. Warnock trying to get the fans on side as DF is clearly off (a big error IMO, he has 1 or 2 years left).

Far more of a worry is the return of Kuqi of course.

Ready Teddy
17-04-2008, 09:08 AM
He's on a big wage for someone who would only tops under NW, play the odd 10 mins now and again.

A good move for both parties to let him go, he has done nothing for C.P in the last 3-4 season of any real note.

CHERRY TREE BRB
17-04-2008, 09:15 AM
A palace legend and he'll always have a place in Palace fan's hearts, sadly he is probably not upto mixing it with the best in this division anymore, and would rather see him playing an important role for someone else for a couple of years, than a bit part for Palace. Hopefully, once his playing days are over, he could return to SP in some sort of coaching capacity and also be rewarded with a testimonial too

Harry Holmesdale
17-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
More Warnock speak I think. It is a nonsense to suggest DF being here or not would have affected either Sinclair coming or Moses playing, as DF was not in the line up

One word.... Wages

Him and Kuqi off the wage bill means we could draft in these extra loanees who have, along with Moses, what Dougie and all the others haven't PACE

Agree with CTB also

Tele Caster
17-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Freedman is a must for the bench in the play-offs. Imagine if it goes to penalties ala Sunderland. Who would you rather risk Freedman or Robinson? He has got into top nick playing for Leeds and can play a crucial role for us. Get him back now.

eagles forever
17-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Dougie is a TRUE legend, but I'm with Warnock on this one. Time to move the club forward, the youngsters are this clubs future, not 34 year olds who can chip in with the odd good appearance. Lets all just give him a big send off at his testimonial and wait a couple of years for his return as a coach!

Freedman is not a must for the playoffs. The physical teams that are in the top 6 means you either need strength (Scowie) or pace (Sinclair, Moses, Robinson, Scannell etc) to have any chance of getting anything from the games. Sadly, Dougie has neither, he can't get away from his man, nor out muscle him.

Good move all round, Thanks for everything Dougie!

howard
17-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Can't see him coming back as a player, especially to sit on the bench most of the time. Players his age need to play, I always feel younger/fitter players are more suited to coming off the bench for the last 10/15 mins if needed. He has done well at Leeds because it has been a new challenge for him, with a point to prove & dropping down a league.

He might do a job for us if we go up but, only as a bit player, not sure he would want that again.

CPFC_DAVE77
17-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Trist
Agree with you completely... well except the last bit. I still think Dougie would have something to offer next season too.

Yes maybe not in a starting role but he's an option that we otherwise don't have & we're not exactly overflowing with strikers. Clint, Scowie & the kids (I'm not even bothering to include Shefki anymore)... we need more than that going into a full season.

Agreed, there's only one Dougie Freedman.

Budgie Byrne
17-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Ready Teddy
He's on a big wage for someone who would only tops under NW, play the odd 10 mins now and again.

A good move for both parties to let him go, he has done nothing for C.P in the last 3-4 season of any real note.

I seem to recall the last game of the season three years ago when he scored one goal, won a penalty in a very short space of time after coming on that changed a very important match and almost kept us in the premier league. Shame a few more players have not made the contribution DF has in the last few years, including this season when given a chance. Oh and the goal v Liverpool in the league cup, to name another, which set up yet another Palace win over the scousers.

I would hate to see him go. However if he is not going to get a regular game, then he has no option but to move on. You are a long time retired and he will regret not squeezing every drop out of his playing time. We will regret his departure, his ability and football brain can still offer so much to Palace.

One thing is for sure I along with many others will treasure his time with Palace and always remember his contribution, which sits with the very best of all our players down the years. :lux:

Buglebob
17-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Dougie for me is the number one player in the division to have on your bench. This is because he has a magnificent footballing brain and actually analyses where he could make a difference if he were to come on. Bring him back for ••••s sake.:veryangry :veryangry

Agreed. His ability from the bench to analyse the game, work out what's required, and then when on the pitch tune in immediately to the pace and flow of the game and change the course of a match is absolutely second to none.

Best substitute I have ever seen in a Palace shirt. You only have to look at the tally of points gained after he came on as a sub at, or soon after, half-time in the last couple of seasons.

Walrus
17-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by eagles forever
Dougie is a TRUE legend, but I'm with Warnock on this one. Time to move the club forward, the youngsters are this clubs future, not 34 year olds who can chip in with the odd good appearance. Lets all just give him a big send off at his testimonial and wait a couple of years for his return as a coach!

Freedman is not a must for the playoffs. The physical teams that are in the top 6 means you either need strength (Scowie) or pace (Sinclair, Moses, Robinson, Scannell etc) to have any chance of getting anything from the games. Sadly, Dougie has neither, he can't get away from his man, nor out muscle him.

Good move all round, Thanks for everything Dougie!

Spot on.

Enjoy your last playing days and get some games Dougie and we'll welcome you back to Selhurst when you've hung your boots up.

DE - Glad All Over
17-04-2008, 12:29 PM
To much experience not to have Dougie back on the bench, or in a coaching role, a true Palace hero for so many reasons...

above post does make a lot of sence though..

Kirby
17-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Let him come back and score the winner in the play-offs but then he needs to move on for the rest of his playing days and return as coach when he finally hangs up his boots.

Sick Bucket
17-04-2008, 01:11 PM
If we make the PO's I'd definitely have Doug on the bench, then probably let him sign for Leeds in the summer but knowing that when he hangs his boots up there will be a job for him at Palace.

chatham_eagle
17-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I echo the thoughts of those who have said he's an option off the bench that we probably need if we get into the play-offs.
When does his playing contract end, can't we just loan him out again next season, then he retires and goes back on the coaching side?

David
17-04-2008, 01:22 PM
IF Warnock has decided that Dougie doesn't have a future at the club and he won't be here next season, I hope he brings him back for at least the Burnley game so he can get the respect he deserves from the home crowd all chanting his name. Very few people in the clubs history have achieved what Dougie has.

Was it Jim Cannon who wasn't given the opportunity to say a proper goodbye.

Civic
17-04-2008, 01:34 PM

I agree entirely. Dougie was linking really well with Scannell before he went to Leeds. We'll need him if we make the play-offs. The combination of youth and experience would win it.

Braders
17-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Tele Caster
Freedman is a must for the bench in the play-offs. Imagine if it goes to penalties ala Sunderland. Who would you rather risk Freedman or Robinson? He has got into top nick playing for Leeds and can play a crucial role for us. Get him back now.

:p

red&blue_moomin
19-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by David
IF Warnock has decided that Dougie doesn't have a future at the club and he won't be here next season, I hope he brings him back for at least the Burnley game so he can get the respect he deserves from the home crowd all chanting his name. Very few people in the clubs history have achieved what Dougie has.

I believe SJ has said Dougie can have a testimonial regardless of which club he is playing at. Also I do suspect that Dougie has played his last competitive game for us.

Hedgehog
19-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by David
I think you are right.... plus I believe Terry Long says on the Century DVD he also was just pushed aside with a chance to savour the moment.

It would be sad if 3 of the all time great Palace servants were not afforded that opportunity. Although it would appear Dougie will get his Testimonial, although I fear it will be a pre-season friendly against a mediocre team (Not Rangers) and the crowd will be 8-10K, which would still be a crime.

Duffle Coat
19-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Play-offs without Dougie would be like the Christmas Tree without the star.

917L
19-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by chatham_eagle

When does his playing contract end,?

End of next season

glaziers fan
19-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I agree with everyone that we need to look to the youth for the future, and was all for him going to Leeds in order for us to save on the wages.

BUT when there's £50m at stake we need him on the bench for a week or 2. I don't care about Leeds. he is contracted to us and I think he'd much rather help us out.

Dougie, don't wait for Warnock to call you back! Ask to come back!:p

Malakite
19-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Freedman is a legend, and I really do think we should still have him at the club, he is the most intelligent player we have at the club and has so much to offer.

Ben H
19-04-2008, 12:51 PM
No he hasn't. He's past it, time to move on, not look backwards.