PDA

View Full Version : The Neil Warnock Column

chatham_eagle
25-04-2008, 09:56 AM
From - http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=250080&command=displayContent&sourceNode=251365&contentPK=20467712&folderPk=115712&pNodeId=251366

Even I had my shorts on in training on Tuesday - it was a great day to be a footballer or manager.

And I have to say it really does help when the sun's out in training - it really does make it that much nicer for everyone.

But to be fair it's been buzzing in training for weeks now and that's great because it makes going into work every morning even better.

As people know, I'm a chirpy character by nature and I try to bring that to the training ground with me and I like to think that my personality rubs off on the players.

I think it's important to be like that at training. You spend so much time together that it is not healthy to be in a huff all the time - that's how I've always been.

If you are not in a good mood then you won't enjoy coming into work - which obviously isn't the best preparation for a good training session. There's probably only been a couple of times when I've not enjoyed training - particularly when you can't see a win on the horizon. Sometimes even manager's need a bit of a pick-me-up - but you have to do what you can not to get too down.

But when that happens you just have to think to yourself that 'I'm the manager' because if I'm down then the players are likely to be down as well.

So that's where it's important to pick the players up and that's where a chirpy sense of humour comes in.

I like having practical jokers in the squad, and we've got a few in a our dressing room.

I think you need characters like that in the squad - it makes training more enjoyable, but I have to be honest and say there weren't many jokes flying around when I first came to the club.

But, what I do expect my players to do is to give 100 per cent in training - we don't train for a long time because what I want is quality not quantity.

Though as much as I'm enjoying it at the minute, I'm looking forward to taking a break at the end of the season. I will be going abroad straight after the season to get away from everything and the phone because it has been a hectic year.

As much as I love football it will be nice for me to switch off and get away from the mobile for a while.

Big-time Warnock enjoying London life

I wouldn't say that managing a team in London has made me more big time - that's probably because I've always been big time!

But I would never have thought that I would enjoy moving south of Watford so much, and if I'm honest it's been great for the whole family. Everyone has made us feel so welcome - it's been great.

The kids are really settled at school, the training ground is nearby and central London is just round the corner.

We were all disappointed with the results in the opening few weeks of the season and then we went through that dip in February but all in all it's been great.

Everything at the club is gradually improving, we are in the process of building a brand new gymnasium, we are working with the physios to make sure we've got the best equipment at the club, so we are getting there.

I don't miss being up north - and I have to admit that I'm surprised that I don't.

When you've been somewhere for seven-and-a-half years you can't imagine yourself anywhere else.

Yes, it's been different, but being in London it's far better than I ever envisaged it would be.

Palacemad2002
25-04-2008, 11:40 AM
It's good to hear Warnock being so positive about more than just football, it all add's up to one happy person and that can only be a good thing for everyone at the club.
It's almost like we cant be arsed with pressure at the moment in the play off race, everyone just wants to enjoy it :)

jempie
25-04-2008, 12:34 PM
A great article. Good to know that he has settled here, especially after the Dowie fiasco.

Voldo
25-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Another great article

Warnock certainly knows how to use spin very well

AJ
25-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Reading about NW, I wonder if his planned "move" to Devon/Cornwall in 2 years? will be suspended if he is still at Palace?

silver
25-04-2008, 05:04 PM
nice one