PDA

View Full Version : Hull - post match

GrahamS
26-04-2008, 05:52 PM
A definite game of two halves. The first we battled reasonably well, but the second was awful and because of that I feel we deserved to lose. In the first half whenever we played it on the deck we looked good. In the second half, all we did was hoof it upfield to the Hull defence who were able to build attack after attack. It was only in injury time did we seem to wake up and have any sense of urgency.

I thought Fonte, Hudson and Hill played well - although not sure who should have been marking Ashbee for their winner. Derry was nowhere to be seen after getting booked in the first half, and with Bostock on the bench instead of Fletcher, there was no one to replace Derry (and why have Ashton AND Hills on the bench?)

Moses and Sinclair looked good in the first half, although Sinclair needs to track back more. In the second half the midfield and attack never really got going due to the aforementioned long balls to noone in particular.

Excellent support from SE25 and if meet Hull in the play-offs I really hope we stuff them - only sing when you're winning sums them up.

Roll on next Sunday and hopefully Gabor can do us a favour or two!

Shoreditch CPFC
26-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I thought we defended well, despite conceding 2. We ran out of ideas 2nd half. Hill was excellent. A few lads behind me were slagging clinton off, but I thought he did well off scraps and never stopped chasing. Shots on goal for both teams were a rarity.

Coulsdon Eagle
26-04-2008, 06:59 PM
a Hull mate of mine emailed me some pics from today, nice to see the Palace supporters

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/AddamsUK/CIMG1102.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/AddamsUK/CIMG1103.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/AddamsUK/CIMG1104.jpg

chatham_eagle
26-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Was a nice day out, although the walk back smelled of shite, was nice to meet some fellow bbs'ers - check the thread on GCC - sorry if I missed anyone out.
Up the Palace!!!!!

Hedgehog
26-04-2008, 07:06 PM
So Palace's two big games where the fans have been really up for it (Charlton and Hull), the team appears not to have risen to the fans encouragement.

Shame really.

El Aguila
26-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Pitch looks good.

Sussex Eagle
26-04-2008, 07:14 PM
We were great until they scored, bit scrappier afterwards but still deserved to equalise - second half the tension was palpable in the stand and on the pitch. Could feel their winner coming. Too much hoofball considering the personnel. I am a Jonah, have not seen us win in person in two years now :( I guess I'll avoid Burnleh.

Speroni - 6
Butts - 6
Hill - 7
Fonte - 7
Hudson - 6
Soares - 6.5
Watson - 6.5
Derry - 7
Moses - 7 - like a knife through butter when he got time
Clint - 6 - not a target man
Sinclair - 7

Ifill - 5 - off the pace
Scannell - n/a

Martin H
26-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Phew - just got back.

Started in NY last night at 10pm gmt and a plane and two trains got us to the game on time having hurled our cases off to a good friend at one of the stops (dewsbury).

And the first half was worth it.

We looked well organised, we hit the post and we scored, Moses looked dangerous and able to drift past players and apart from the goal we were pretty much in control.

The key to that first half was that we were winning the first ball and then the second. This meant we got it under control instead of simply clearing it. Feeding it out to the wingers and we looked OK. Not awesome but for an away side at a form team's place - not bad at all.

In the second half - we simply didn't do that. We hoofed it up high at the forwards giving them little chance. Then we did it again and again and again. Whenever we did try to move it we lost it. Their second goal was a free header from a corner and so someone should be a -1 on their scores - I don't know who though.

Speroni - 6 - Pretty good although his kicking was wayward today. On one occasion picking Neil Warnock out with a measured pass, 5 yards off the pitch - errrm

Butters - 5 - MIxed bag - he did OK against a tricky winger but for a defender got caught with the ball a little too often for me to feel comfortable.

Hudson - 6.5 - all for defensive effort. Strong in the air and showing some grit/leadership today. Unable to get good ball to his team-mates

Fonte - 6 - Pretty solid but again not hitting a player often enough to feel great. Defensively good.

Hill - 5 - Defensively solid again but in the second half it was screaming for the oiccasional short ball to Moses and he chipped and chipped and chipped it .. . ..

Soares - 4.5 I thought Tom struggled to make an impact today. He seemed to be unclear where he should be and too often was left in the wrong place watching the action.

Watson - 6 Solid game - nothing special and they neutralised him a little in the second half. Worked very hard though. Maybe not his best day at the office.

Derry - 5.5 - He played well in the first half. I think after an awful tackle on Windass that saw him leave the game and got him booked he held back a little and this meant we won less ball. Windass really lost it and wanted to pick a fight with everyone and was showing his leg to everyone. It was bad - but the fuss was a bit rich coming from Windass - not known for his silk-like tackles!

Sinclair - 7 Scored the goal and looked dangerous. Dan (my son) convinced me to put him as a 7 - I would probably have gone for 6.5 as I dont think he showed enough but . . .

Morrison - 4.5 - I know its tough playing up front and even tougher when you are asked to win headers and have little idea how to do so but ...... I think he can do bette than this - there were some good moments but way too infrequent.

Moses - 6.5 - first half - delightful, second half he neeed to come find it and couldnt quite make that work. But great prospect.

Ifill - 4.5 - nope didnt work this week much at all

Scannell - 5 one very nice turn and cross but . . . . .

Subs in the warmup - Bostock, Hills etc look very confident.

Ref - by constantly stopping the game for infringements he forced it into this hoof and fetch pattern and stopped things flowing. I would give a 4 at best.

Crowd - 7 enjoyed itself. HUll were only good while winning. Silence when it was 1-1.

Warnock got it right first half but failed to correct the problem tactically. I suspect in part this was due to the bench. Ideally he would have strengthened the middle with Fletcher for Soares to get the abll under control to feed wide.

If they had maintained the first half performance you probably could have added 1.5 to all of the scores.

Now looking for a bed to sleep in . . .. .

Shoreditch CPFC
26-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Wouldn't fault the commitment of any of the team today hedgehog. They just lacked a little creativity.

Hedgehog
26-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Shoreditch CPFC
Wouldn't fault the commitment of any of the team today hedgehog. They just lacked a little creativity.
Good to hear...

I'm just a little disappointed for the fans who made the effort and sounded great on the radio (as they did at Charlton).

Maximus
26-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Ifill truly was awful. Please if we need to win do not bring on this man. He is not fit enough right now. Scannell would have done the trick. Ifill may have the experience mentally, but he is not capable with his current level of fitness. I'm thinking Watford was rare and will not be repeated in our run-in.

Maximus
26-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Speroni - 7 (did what was needed of him despite the goals, good save at end).

Butterfield - 5.5 (doesn't clear when he should)

Hudson - 7

Fonte - 7

Hill - 6

Watson - 6

Derry - 5.5

Soares - 6

Moses - 6.5

Sinclair - 6.5

Morrison - 7 (did all he could up front alone)

SUBS

Ifill - 4

Scannell - N/A

stamford triumph
26-04-2008, 07:51 PM
can't disagree with any of the above comments but surprised noone mentioned the linesman just before they scored. As clear a corner up our end as you will ever see - Ifill was nowhere near the header - and he gives a goal kick - claims it came of Ifill - they go down the other end, get a corner and the rest is history!

stamford triumph
26-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Coulsdon Eagle
a Hull mate of mine emailed me some pics from today, nice to see the Palace supporters

presumably taken a while before the match as I thought our end was chocka!

ZOHAR
26-04-2008, 08:02 PM
CRYSTAL Palace's 10-game unbeaten run came to an end as they lost 2-1 at Hull City on Saturday.

Results elsewhere mean the Eagles will be in the play-offs if they beat Burnley at Selhurst on the final day of the Championship campaign next weekend.

The Tigers went ahead in the 18th minute when Fraizer Campbell's 18th-minute strike beat Julian Speroni.

But Palace levelled when Scott Sinclair netted his first goal for the South Londoners just four minutes later, tucking the ball away from close range after Clinton Morrison poked the ball into his path.

But Hull grabbed a winner in the 85th minute when Ian Ashbee's towering header from a Dean Marney corner flew past Speroni.

Palace boss Neil Warnock was upbeat despite the end of the club's unbeaten run.

He said: "We can only get stronger. We've really enjoyed the second half of the season and and to be in a situation where the play-offs are still in our own hands is a fantastic achievement.

"At the end I didn't want us to go silly and concede another goal because it could be vital in the run-in - we've got a nice cushion on the teams below us."

SLP

Shoreditch CPFC
26-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by stamford triumph
can't disagree with any of the above comments but surprised noone mentioned the linesman just before they scored. As clear a corner up our end as you will ever see - Ifill was nowhere near the header - and he gives a goal kick - claims it came of Ifill - they go down the other end, get a corner and the rest is history! very true. Myhill was laughing, he couldn't believe it.

orp pisshead1
26-04-2008, 08:21 PM
I thought we defended well, despite conceding 2. We ran out of ideas 2nd half. Hill was excellent. A few lads behind me were slagging clinton off, but I thought he did well off scraps and never stopped chasing. Shots on goal for both teams were a rarity.

Spot on:p , •••• knows what they expected clint to do on his own ffs, did a reasonable job imo.

orp pisshead1
26-04-2008, 08:26 PM
can't disagree with any of the above comments but surprised noone mentioned the linesman just before they scored. As clear a corner up our end as you will ever see - Ifill was nowhere near the header - and he gives a goal kick - claims it came of Ifill - they go down the other end, get a corner and the rest is history!

We'll get the luck hull had next week:p

glaziers fan
26-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Speroni 6 - nothing much to do but looked assured

Hill 5 average
Hudson 5 average
Fonte 6 got better as the game went on
Butterfield 8 defended well and got forward well and loads of possession

Derry 5 didn't win enough ball
Watson 6 One excellent free-kick. All our best moves came thru his lighteningly quick but accurate one-touch passing
Soares 6 Did ok

Sinclair 8 MOM goal, and always looking to run at them
Morrison 7 held the ball up extremely well.
Moses 6 quieter than usual

Subs:

Ifill 5 poor

I thought we looked comfortable even when trying to hold on to the win but the thing is we are always liable to concede at a corner so can't afford to do so.

We are not going at teams enough for my liking. I have no doubts that should we play Hull again and need to win we will.

Campbell is an excellent player.

rbarmy
26-04-2008, 08:34 PM
very true. Myhill was laughing, he couldn't believe it.

disgraceful decision - linesman was not far away either, I guess he just wasn't watching; I didn't think the ref was too bad overall, apart from not seeming to realise he can play advantage

Sussex Eagle
26-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Hill 5
Butterfield 8
Not to pick on you, and Butts was far from bad - but lol!

Granada allover
26-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Credit to Phil Brown who must have consulted Baldrick at half-time.

It was a great header for the winner but, overall, I didn't think Hull did enough to win. What made the difference was their snuffing out of Victor in the second 45 minutes, or did we just forget how to pass to him?

glaziers fan
26-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Not to pick on you, and Butts was far from bad - but lol!

Hill defended ok. But Butterfield looked to break forward. I thought he looked super confident. Ok he was caught in possession once or twice but he won't if he keeps this form up next week. Well done Danny :)

He is such a class act. If only he had more pace he'd be premiership quality.

glaziers fan
26-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Granada allover
Credit to Phil Brown who must have consulted Baldrick at half-time.

It was a great header for the winner but, overall, I didn't think Hull did enough to win. What made the difference was their snuffing out of Victor in the second 45 minutes, or did we just forget how to pass to him?

We heaped a lot of pressure on his shoulders and gave him less space by taking off sinclair, our man of the match. I'd have taken moses off if anyone.

Still, I thought we looked comfortable. I'll happily play them in the play-offs.

rbarmy
26-04-2008, 08:55 PM

...I thought we looked comfortable. I'll happily play them in the play-offs.

I agree - in the first half their only bit of class was on loan from MU and even then I thought they scored against the run of play; thought they looked pretty ordinary really, and on another day we would run out winners

sw16girl
26-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Ifill truly was awful. Please if we need to win do not bring on this man. He is not fit enough right now.

If he hadn't been on last week we might not have beaten Watford JAT.

Crunchie
26-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Ifill truly was awful. Please if we need to win do not bring on this man. He is not fit enough right now. Scannell would have done the trick. Ifill may have the experience mentally, but he is not capable with his current level of fitness. I'm thinking Watford was rare and will not be repeated in our run-in.

It's all If's and But's though.

Ifill's shot and control was sublime last weekend and its a shame he couldn't do it this weekend.

We all know he is match unfit and i have even stated that he shouldn't be used (along with Danns) until next season until he has properly got over his injuries (so he doesn't keep breaking down), but was proven wrong last weekend.

Without sounding too much like Freddy Kutz I would like that decision to be with Neil rather than anyone else's opinion as he must know whether they are ready by watching them every day.

Sandowneagle
26-04-2008, 09:31 PM
hull are a decent team and there was no disgrace in losing, if the lino had given us a corner instead of them a goal kick then we may well have got a point. Thought derry was quiet after his booking, sinclair our most dangerous as well as hudson having a good game.

philsick
26-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Scannell would have done the trick. Ifill may have the experience mentally, but he is not capable with his current level of fitness.

I agree and think scannell has been used too sparingely lately.When the game opens up at the end of games, when teams are trying to win, i think his pace will be key.He looked comfortable on the ball in his cameo today,considering the pressure of the situation.

Also, i know warnock wants to have a mix of youth and experience.But i would love to see lee hills link up with moses on the left,i think they could do some damage.Hill is a 100% effort defender,but he is very slow and his distribution and link up play is average at best.

Slimbloke'H'
26-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Wouldn't fault the commitment of any of the team today hedgehog. They just lacked a little creativity. I agree, there was certainly no lack of commitment, although I think your 'lack of creativity' was more a case of Hull doing a job on us, much as we've done to other teams this season.

The good thing is, Warnock will not let it happen a second time if we get to play them again this season.

Illeagle
26-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Derry is pretty much the key to our performance and today he was absent for much of the game. The early booking took the edge off his play and left Watson and Soares with too much to do in midfield. If Fletch had been on the bench we may have got the draw, but our squad looked very thin with 2 diminuative left backs, 3 school boys and a sicknote on the bench. Hudson was massive and Clinton also deserves praise. Moses and Sinclair are great on the ball, but both need to pass it more and do more when not in possesion.

h27
26-04-2008, 10:05 PM
hull fan on the train back told me that we were the loudest away fans to come to their ground all season WELL DONE EVERYONE !

917L
26-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Illeagle
but our squad looked very thin with 2 diminuative left backs, 3 school boys and a sicknote on the bench.

We had 6 players on the bench?

Penstone Eagle
26-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 917L

So many subs and we still lost, Warnock out !

Chobham Eagle
26-04-2008, 10:25 PM

I think one of the diminutive left backs and one of the schoolboys are one and the same person.:p

Lord Flange
26-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Nice easy drive despite the long distance - no traffic.

We looked at times sublime in the first half with Vic and Sinclair gliding past defenders with ease.

Second half was a different game altogether. Warnock must have instructed them to sit deep and play for a draw as our wing play went out of the window and we resulted to long balls, but with no Scow to win them.

Biggest plus of the day was the knowledge that we can create chances at will if we utilise our flanks properly (and Burnleys defence is very leaky.)

Biggest negative for me was the performance of Danny B. His concentration is about a 2 seconds behind the play and this meant that he was often caught in possesion or made sloppy decisions - a weak link in an otherwise solid back four.

Finally....... Hull makes Peckham look like the Seychells its so grim.

I was truly astounded at how vile it is; it seems to have been left to rot by the authorities with masses of boarded up buldings and a plethora of grubby pubs - of which very few had sky.:(

deanchilds
26-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Not long been in. Great day out. Balloons were wicked. Got some great pics. They even mentioned then on the radio too!

Game was dissapointing didnt do much up top. Ref and Linos were a joke. Dean Windass is a fat moaning ••••!!

On the other hand WE ARE PALACE and DO THINGS THE HARD WAY! So why would we exptect to get what we wanted with still a game left?

SpikeyMatt
26-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Missed Scowie to compete with their physical handling of the game at the back - especially when we were clearing the ball in the second half, there was no-one really coming close to getting any change out of Hull's back four. Hence the relentless balls into the box and pressure in our final third.

Frustrating afternoon.

delboy01
26-04-2008, 10:45 PM
A hull mate of mine said we are the best team he has seen at the KC. Hopes we avoid each other in the playoff semi's (if we get there). He said we looked excellent first half and should have led. In the second said we sat back too much but that it was understandable given that we just needed the point. He says he was glad they got the winner so late. If it had been the 50th min says we would have won 3-2!!!

Hopefully if we hit the playoffs we will start playing for 90 mins.

Also said that the palace support was the noisiest they have seen.

Lord Flange
26-04-2008, 10:56 PM
On another point the Hull stewards were excellent. They kept their distance, didnt involve themselves with petty rules and squabbles, and left us all in peace to choose if we wanted to sit or stand.

These guys should be videoed and copies made to act as a template for training for all the awful stewards - some of ours included - that exist throughout the leagues.

Well done Hull; I was tremendously impressed. It makes such a difference to the 'match day experience.'

:p

Selhurst300
26-04-2008, 11:03 PM

Don't entirely agree with this.
There was one occasion where he came steaming out of defence down the left wing into an enormous amount of space and we failed to play it to him. Another time he had the ball and was going nowhere because he was blocked off, yet he managed to get a throw for us, which is a reflection of his experience. He's not only about scoring goals.

adrenalin john
26-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Thought we did well first half and probably shaded, both sides hoofed it a bit but when either team got it down and played or ran at defences they looked threatening, us probably slightly more than them.

2nd half I think the occassion got to the players a bit, they seemed tense and strangely leggy. Mentally they were clearly happy to settle for a draw.

Hull cam out and closed us right down smothering the midfleld and cutting they supply to sincalir and moses, so we hoofed it, and naturaly the ball came straight back at us, having said that I can't recall them creating any clear cut chances in the 2nd or Speroni making any saves of note.

Like when we bottled the game at coventry (under dowie, last game of the promotion season), I hope the players learn the mental lesson from today.

It should also be noted it was the first hot day for sometime, and that clearly took it's toll.

Today was the first day that I thought we really missed Scowcroft.

adrenalin john
26-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Lord Flange
On another point the Hull stewards were excellent. They kept their distance, didnt involve themselves with petty rules and squabbles, and left us all in peace to choose if we wanted to sit or stand.

These guys should be videoed and copies made to act as a template for training for all the awful stewards - some of ours included - that exist throughout the leagues.

Well done Hull; I was tremendously impressed. It makes such a difference to the 'match day experience.'

true, they were friendly, pleasant and relaxed. Never a hint of a problem.

adrenalin john
26-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst300
Don't entirely agree with this.
There was one occasion where he came steaming out of defence down the left wing into an enormous amount of space and we failed to play it to him. Another time he had the ball and was going nowhere because he was blocked off, yet he managed to get a throw for us, which is a reflection of his experience. He's not only about scoring goals.

As good as his cameo at watford was, today's performance was as bad as his Watford performance was good - very reminiscent of his performance at Charlton in fact

Slimbloke'H'
26-04-2008, 11:15 PM

:p Excellent post. :p

Gooders
26-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Shame we couldn't have hung on for a point - would have left us just needing a draw next week.

Hedgehog
26-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Anyone at the game know why the 2nd half was so late getting going?

David Amsalem
26-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Butterfield 8 defended well and got forward well and loads of possession

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think I may have disagreed with you previously re: Butterfield.

But I have to say, out of all the marks that I've ever read on here, giving Butterfield an 8 today is the most ludicrous ratings I've ever seen.

We must have been at different games because Butterfield constantly lost possession and was absolutely tormented by Fagan, Campbell, Folan to name just a few.

He was definitely the weak link for me.

David Amsalem
26-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by adrenalin john
As good as his cameo at watford was, today's performance was as bad as his Watford performance was good - very reminiscent of his performance at Charlton in fact

But to be fair John, who exactly did anything in the spell that Ifill was on?

David Amsalem
26-04-2008, 11:30 PM

Have to emphasise this. That is how a game should be "managed".

David Amsalem
26-04-2008, 11:32 PM
As for their goal, how we didn't have a corner about a minute before, I'll never know. It was quite clearly a corner. Myhill certainly thought it was judging by his reaction with the Palace fans.

Bozzi
27-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Some pics from today Courtesy of the magic rat (Hull City fan and an old friend)

Bozzi
27-04-2008, 01:54 AM
Ok i an only do one at a time, Help!

TheCharmer
27-04-2008, 06:07 AM
looks a great stadium

Reps AJ
27-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Finally....... Hull makes Peckham look like the Seychells its so grim.

I was truly astounded at how vile it is; it seems to have been left to rot by the authorities with masses of boarded up buldings and a plethora of grubby pubs - of which very few had sky.:(

Way off topic now but...

I take it you didn't go to the redeveloped quayside shopping centre (http://www.princes-quay.co.uk/) or the brand new shopping centre right next to the station (http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=221,77169&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL)?

Whilst I'm sure there are parts of it that are a dump - certainly a few bits of what you might think is the city centre, although I think I've been to Hull 4 times (three of them to watch Palace) so I might be wrong - BUT it hasn't been left to rot and the authorities are doing a massive regeneration project, not their fault you went to the shit bit ;)

Oh, and their stadium make Selhurst look like the dump it is

Owngoal
27-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Very variable match ratings in todays Sundays. Mirror seem to have a Palace fan doing theres, even gave Warnock a higher rating as manager than Brown.

Sunday Mirror
Speroni 7, Butterfield 7, Hudson 7, Fonte 6, Hill 7, Sinclair 7 (Ifill 6), Soares 7, Derry 7 (Scannell 4), Watson 7, Moses 8, Morrison 7.
Manager Warnock 7
Sunday Times
Speroni 6, Butterfield 6, Fonte 6, Hudson 6, Hill 6, Soares 6, Derry 5 (Scannell 87min), Watson 6, Sinclair 7 (Ifill 70min), Morrison 7, Moses 6

Archiebald Leitch
27-04-2008, 08:31 AM
As I see it:

Britains road system worked! No problems getting there or back. Identikit stadium but with a car park bigger than that at Wembley.

First fifteen minutes we were much the stronger side, played good stuff and unlucky not to take the lead when hit the post. Hulls free kick that rattled the post seemed to jar them into life and they scored with a bit of a bobbler. Our equaliser was also scrappy but you have to be there to put it in the net.

Second half we were under pressure and seemed unable to hold on to the ball. We struggled against the aerial power and pace of Hulls forwards and I wasnt surprised when the winner went in as we had been defending for a long time. As mentioned on this thread, the unfortunate things is that shortly before Hull scored the winner we had a cast iron corner where the lino awarded a goal kick. Was it the same inept lino who was at Watford last week?

Illeagle
27-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by David Amsalem
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think I may have disagreed with you previously re: Butterfield.

But I have to say, out of all the marks that I've ever read on here, giving Butterfield an 8 today is the most ludicrous ratings I've ever seen.

We must have been at different games because Butterfield constantly lost possession and was absolutely tormented by Fagan, Campbell, Folan to name just a few.

He was definitely the weak link for me.

Actually Butterfield consistently kept possession, although he may of lost it once or twice. What he does in possession is look to create space and time and pass to someone on his team. The alternative is to hoof it to no one in particular, which is of course the usual option for a defender.

Ron Dogers
27-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Based on radion rather than being there ....big well done to those you did go of course, maybe a rare NW error, we tried to consolidate a draw Hull wenr for the win?

Tony Montana
27-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Speroni 7 - usual solid performance, not an awful lot he could do about the goals and pulled off a few good saves

Butterfield 6 - i can't question the guys endeavour, but today i thought he lost the ball far too many times and seemed to be tormented by their forwards. It wasn't an awful game but i think he may have been identified as a weak link by Hull and as such Hulls front line took turns in running at him.

Hudson 7 - Fairly solid, wasn't an easy afternoon especially when Campbell likes to drop off and come deep to recieve the ball, resisting the temptation to follow him i thought Hudson held position well, was also good in the air.

Fonte 6 - had an ok game but for me he didn't seem to have the control and seemed to be chasing shadows at times, ok in the air.

Hill 7 - I like Hill, gave his all again, pretty much snuffed out anything coming at him, what he lacks in pace he makes up by reading the game well, no one would like to play against him as he's always there, at your ankles.

Sinclair 7 - For me i thought he was the most creative player we had, i was disappointed when he went off. Brought some skill to the game and always did something with the ball rather than running into dead ends, looks a quality player and has a football brain to go with it.

Soares 6 - Largely anonymous for me, when he did have the ball he looked good and seemed to want to be quite direct with it, at times when he has the ball he looks so powerful that i think he could be utilised more to open up defences, wish he was more consistent as when Soares plays well, the team plays well.

Derry 7 - Typical Dezza performance, the guys workrate is great and he breaks up play so well. Unfortunately today he was playing against a smart Hull front line and i felt they got through our midfield far too easily. Crocked Dean Windass and from where i was standing was perhaps a bit lucky to stay on the pitch.

Watson 6 - Frustrating performance from Ben today, with the blokes passing ability and his football brain he could be so much more influential. Felt he was slow to pick up the loose ball and his passing decisions were wrong, set peices were ok today.

Moses 6 - to me he looked largely dis-interested and didn't seem to want to chase the game. Looks dangerous when he has the ball, but being so young and inexperiences he's going to have off games and i can fully accept that. Needs to watch his throws, his front foot goes over the line before he's released the ball almost everytime.

Morrison 6 - Chased, worked hard, but largely anonymous. Not much he could really do as he was feeding of scraps. It appears he is being used to hold the ball up and unfortunately i see Clint as a finisher rather than the sort of player who holes the ball up and sends players clear. was pushed out deep by their defence which meant the ball was passed back most times and when played forward after that, Clinton(our most experienced striker) was out of position. It's why Hull are where they are, they're a very clever team!

Subs

Ifil 6 - Didn't do anything, but it was a difficult game for him to get into

Scannell - Not enough time to judge.

Fans - Good Turnout, good noise, the ground is conducive to a good atmosphere but we did really well today.

Hull Fans - fairly good ithought. When they got going it was very loud and a little intimidating, just what you want really.

Ground - Nice, few queues anywhere, in and out very quickly, booze and food served efficiently, low roof, good noise, stewards were good.

Mark Gardiner
27-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Disappointing. Hull were nothing special, but Palace were definitely below par yesterday, neither team matching up to their relevant support. Palace never got control of midfield, the turning point in hindsight being the early booking for Derry following a crude challenge that saw Windass leave the park whilst offering out most of the Palace team. Possibly a red card offence, Derry was pretty much neutered for the rest of the game, and with little bite in midfield Watson and Soares rarely got to see the ball.

Ironically Palace started well, with Sinclair and especially Moses threatening down the flanks. Both sides hit the woodwork early, and Palace were just on top when Hull scored with a deflected shot from the edge of the box. Then Palace equalised during a spell of Hull pressure, Sinclair somehow ending up at close range and slipping the ball into the net. The first half ended level, although it was worrying to see Palace defending so deeply.

Palace never got going in the second half, and rarely threatened except for an early Watson free kick which the stretching unmarked Hudson just could not reach in front of goal. Hull gradually ratcheted up the pressure, and Palace typically managed to leave a giant centre back unmarked not once, but twice, from corners. We got away with it once, but not the second time. As it was at the far end I have no idea who should be marking him, but as we only had three big players (missing Scowcroft & Lawrence) it was always a danger. A last gasp snap shot from Watson over the bar was Palace’s only response. Hull ran out just deserved winners; a more refined version of Watford, with some big but quick strikers (once Derry had disposed of the pensioner Windass).

Speroni - 6 - Had no chance with the first goal, when a deflection wrong-footed him, or with Windass’ free kick that thudded against the underside of the crossbar. Made one good save in the second half, and took the ball well in the air.

Butterfield - 5 - Too often was casual in defence, either being caught in possession or failing to clear when he had the chance. Did offer some support to Sinclair down the right.

Hill - 6 - Fairly solid with some good cover tackles and clearing headers, but rarely offered support down the left to Moses.

Hudson - 6 - A better defensive display from Mark than as of late, although was guilty at times of standing off Campbell. As usual his distribution was lacking.

Fonte - 7 - Palace’s only consistently good performance, although like Hudson defended too deep and stood off his man. Made one great saving tackle in the area in the second half, similar to his last ditch effort at Stoke.

Derry - 5 - Was playing well until going over the top on Windass. After that hardly dared make a tackle, leaving our midfield toothless. Unfortunately Palace lacked adequate cover on the bench, needing a Fletcher instead of a Bostock.

Watson - 6 - Tried hard but could not impose himself on the game. Did deliver some dangerous set-piece deliveries.

Soares - 5 - Pretty much anonymous, occasionally showing up in some midfield moves that broke down.

Sinclair - 6 - Potential threat as he usually roasted his full back, but seldom created anything with it. Not sue how he ended up with the ball in the area when he scored, or how he beat the ‘keeper from what seemed an acute angle.

Moses - 6 - A real threat in the first half when he often took on two or more defenders. Saw little of the ball in the second half.

Morrison - 5 - Unluckily hit the inside of the post early on with a header from a Watson corner (although I thought the final touch came from the defender) but seldom had a sniff of goal after that. Too often isolated up front and was dominated by Ashbee and Walton.

Ifill - 5 - Looked leggy when he came on and soon tired.

Scannell - 5 - Had one run down the left.

Pennyfather
27-04-2008, 09:52 AM
A game full of effort & hard work from both sides. First half was fairly even although I was delighted to get to half time at 1-1 so maybe they shaded it. Sinclair & Morrison worked well together which was evident with our goal. Moses looked good in flashes. Midfield was the key area with both sides having spells of domination but never in full control.

Second half was slightly different & Phil Brown earned his money as Hull came out trying to neutralise our threat (Sinclair & Moses) with good effect. This caused us a big problem as with Derry on a booking we didn't have much possession in a very tight & well contested midfield & when we did our outlets in the main were cut off. That said, when Sinclair did have the ball 2nd half he looked dangerous & likely to make something happen & it was a surprise to me that he went off instead of the less dangerous Moses.

Our biggest problem yesterday though was a lack of options on the bench, mainly another striker. Fletcher should also have been on the bench in a game like this unless injured.

Make no mistake Hull are a good side & probably just deserved the points. IF we get in the play offs I do NOT want to play them with the 2nd leg up there.

Speroni - 7 One very good save late on. No chance with goals & not much else to do.

Butts - 6.5 Good in possession & offered himself going forward. Caught out a couple of times though.

Hudson - 7 Had his hands full today but dealt with it well considering & made some very good last ditch blocks/tackles.

Fonte - 7.5 As Hudson but with one fantastic block that saved a goal.

Hill - 6 Only went ball chasing a couple of times & made some important challenges. Distribution slightly better too as tried not to hoof it but he is a very limited player.

Derry - 6.5 Very good first half but after getting booked was unable to throw himself into tackles the way he would have liked to be able to get a hold of midfield.

Watson - 7 Took a while to get in the game but had a good 2nd half with some good passing & one fantastic delivery from a free kick just after half time which Hudson should have scored from.

Soares - 7 Had a good game & put himself around a lot trying desperately hard to link the midfield to attack. Made some good runs & passing was good too.

Moses - 6 In flashes he showed he could create openings but never really settled into the game or created the chances we needed.

Sinclair - 7.5 Our best threat going forward & looked likely to do something when on the ball. Excellent goal & should not have been substituted.

Morrison - 7.5 Excellent performance & absolutely worked his socks off for the team in a Scowie type of way. Held the ball up superbly at times & had a great assist for our goal.

Ifill - 6 Tried but to no effect. Should have won a corner before their goal.

Scannell - Not on long enough to mark.

917L
27-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Pennyfather

Fletcher should also have been on the bench in a game like this unless injured.

His wife was giving birth

Pennyfather
27-04-2008, 10:22 AM

That explains it then.

917L
27-04-2008, 10:29 AM
That explains it then.

NW said he would have been on the bench otherwise (as everyone expected)

philsick
27-04-2008, 10:53 AM
When we played to our strengths,getting the ball wide and passing on the deck,we always looked dangerous.As soon as we started trying to hang on and hoof,it was almost inevitable we would concede.It worked at stoke,but we had a two goal cushion.Saying that,the lino's decision not to give us a corner just before their goal,was a disgrace.

Overall i feel we have nothing to fear from hull if fingers crossed ,we get into the play offs.Although the late goal was a disapointment,i came away feeling positive about our chances in the run in.

speroni 7 no chance with goals
butts 6.5
hudson 7.5
fonte 7
hill 6 great defender ,poor footballer.
derry 5.weak link.the booking is no excuse.
watson 6
soares 6
moses 7
sinclair 7
morrison7 great work rate

iffil 5
scannell should of come on earlier 6

Palace fans 10.

Chobham Eagle
27-04-2008, 10:53 AM

He was lucky that Trevor Francis was no longer our manager then!

philsick
27-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Some shooting practice wouldn't go a miss.Watson,soares and moses,were guilty of a few skyers and slicers and derry just wont shoot.

chatham_eagle
27-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Pie report - Had a nice steak and kidney pie, the filling was divine, but the pastry was a bit carboardy - but still 7/10

kolinkins
27-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Just seen the goals - what was Hudson doing backing off the striker at the edge of the area?

trickyricky66
27-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by h27
hull fan on the train back told me that we were the loudest away fans to come to their ground all season WELL DONE EVERYONE !
yes well done to the palace who made it up there,THERE was still about 150 seats left thou.shame we didnt sell them.have to say there o/b and stewards were cool aswell .
EAGLES :D :D :D :lux: :hi:

trickyricky66
27-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Mark Gardiner
Disappointing. Hull were nothing special, but Palace were definitely below par yesterday, neither team matching up to their relevant support. Palace never got control of midfield, the turning point in hindsight being the early booking for Derry following a crude challenge that saw Windass leave the park whilst offering out most of the Palace team. Possibly a red card offence, Derry was pretty much neutered for the rest of the game, and with little bite in midfield Watson and Soares rarely got to see the ball.

Ironically Palace started well, with Sinclair and especially Moses threatening down the flanks. Both sides hit the woodwork early, and Palace were just on top when Hull scored with a deflected shot from the edge of the box. Then Palace equalised during a spell of Hull pressure, Sinclair somehow ending up at close range and slipping the ball into the net. The first half ended level, although it was worrying to see Palace defending so deeply.

Palace never got going in the second half, and rarely threatened except for an early Watson free kick which the stretching unmarked Hudson just could not reach in front of goal. Hull gradually ratcheted up the pressure, and Palace typically managed to leave a giant centre back unmarked not once, but twice, from corners. We got away with it once, but not the second time. As it was at the far end I have no idea who should be marking him, but as we only had three big players (missing Scowcroft & Lawrence) it was always a danger. A last gasp snap shot from Watson over the bar was Palace’s only response. Hull ran out just deserved winners; a more refined version of Watford, with some big but quick strikers (once Derry had disposed of the pensioner Windass).

Speroni - 6 - Had no chance with the first goal, when a deflection wrong-footed him, or with Windass’ free kick that thudded against the underside of the crossbar. Made one good save in the second half, and took the ball well in the air.

Butterfield - 5 - Too often was casual in defence, either being caught in possession or failing to clear when he had the chance. Did offer some support to Sinclair down the right.

Hill - 6 - Fairly solid with some good cover tackles and clearing headers, but rarely offered support down the left to Moses.

Hudson - 6 - A better defensive display from Mark than as of late, although was guilty at times of standing off Campbell. As usual his distribution was lacking.

Fonte - 7 - Palace’s only consistently good performance, although like Hudson defended too deep and stood off his man. Made one great saving tackle in the area in the second half, similar to his last ditch effort at Stoke.

Derry - 5 - Was playing well until going over the top on Windass. After that hardly dared make a tackle, leaving our midfield toothless. Unfortunately Palace lacked adequate cover on the bench, needing a Fletcher instead of a Bostock.

Watson - 6 - Tried hard but could not impose himself on the game. Did deliver some dangerous set-piece deliveries.

Soares - 5 - Pretty much anonymous, occasionally showing up in some midfield moves that broke down.

Sinclair - 6 - Potential threat as he usually roasted his full back, but seldom created anything with it. Not sue how he ended up with the ball in the area when he scored, or how he beat the ‘keeper from what seemed an acute angle.

Moses - 6 - A real threat in the first half when he often took on two or more defenders. Saw little of the ball in the second half.

Morrison - 5 - Unluckily hit the inside of the post early on with a header from a Watson corner (although I thought the final touch came from the defender) but seldom had a sniff of goal after that. Too often isolated up front and was dominated by Ashbee and Walton.

Ifill - 5 - Looked leggy when he came on and soon tired.

Scannell - 5 - Had one run down the left. as ever spot on mark.may be you take this critic larky fulltime m8:lux:

David Amsalem
27-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Actually Butterfield consistently kept possession, although he may of lost it once or twice. What he does in possession is look to create space and time and pass to someone on his team. The alternative is to hoof it to no one in particular, which is of course the usual option for a defender.

He really didn't. I wish I was sad enough to have kept a tally of how many times he lost it and have some conclusive proof that he was useless.

He is a player capable of doing what you've said above, but we certainly never saw any of it yesterday.

David Amsalem
27-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Just seen the goals - what was Hudson doing backing off the striker at the edge of the area?

He didn't just do it for the goal. There was a couple of occasions where you couldn't believe the amount of time Hull were being given.

On one occasion, he even allowed Windass to bring it down on his chest and turn on it.

philsick
27-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by chatham_eagle
Pie report - Had a nice steak and kidney pie, the filling was divine, but the pastry was a bit carboardy - but still 7/10

0/10 for the vegetarian selection as usual.

Clapham Grand
27-04-2008, 02:47 PM
A game of two halves, first half we played well - hitting the post in the first couple of minutes, and Sinclair and Moses demolished their left and right backs. Hull are a big side, and neutralised our chief threat in the second half - it was just a matter of time until they scored their (deserved) winner

Speroni 7
Hudson 7
Fonte 7.5
Butts 6
Hill 6.5
Derry 6.5
Soares 7
Watson 7
Morrison 6.5
Moses 7
Sinclair 6.5
Subs:
Ifill 6
Scannell n/a

A very smooth journey home via the M62 :)

Bozzi
27-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Ouch! Don't mess with Derry

Sussex Eagle
27-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Bozzi
:eek: And there I thought he was playacting, hobbling around pointing at his leg!

Selhurst300
27-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Nightmare getting out of the car park at the ground.

Illeagle
27-04-2008, 04:05 PM

Perhaps because he was Fonte's man and he was closer than Hudson when Cambell got the ball?

Owngoal
27-04-2008, 04:22 PM
No, he wanted to give people something to moan about..........
Hudson by all accounts was one of the best players yesterday, it was nice to have a couple of matches without beating up on him no matter how well he played.

Slimbloke'H'
27-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Perhaps because he was Fonte's man and he was closer than Hudson when Cambell got the ball? Not that that will stop the Hudson bashers slagging him off from afar...

David Amsalem
27-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I thought both centre back were pretty poor yesterday. Both Hudson and Fonte were at fault for giving the front far too much respect by backing off them.

The likes of Fuller, Phillips, Campbell, Ellington, Adebola etc etc will thrive on this if we do qualify for the Play-Offs.

rbarmy
27-04-2008, 05:09 PM

We learned that the trick is to park near the exit when you drive in

mean
27-04-2008, 05:10 PM

God, change the record fella!!

You think he's rubbish, we've all got it.

kolinkins
27-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by mean
God, change the record fella!!

You think he's rubbish, we've all got it.

Not about him being rubbish at all (he isnt rubbish, just prone to error).

He just seemed to be backing off (reminded me of what he did for Gravesen's 2nd goal in 04/05).

Maximus
27-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Or park in the nearby shopping centre like we did and grab a cool drink in the non-busy air conditioned starbucks on the war to your car.

Pennyfather
27-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Chobham Eagle
He was lucky that Trevor Francis was no longer our manager then!

:D Who was that player at QPR, was it Roy Wegerle?

BaldEagle96
27-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Blimey that looks bad. Thought there must have been something for Windarse to go on and on and on and then to be subbed but thought maybe he just got raked with the studs.

917L
27-04-2008, 06:23 PM
:D Who was that player at QPR, was it Roy Wegerle?

Martin Allen

Bozzi
27-04-2008, 06:26 PM
It does look bad, here Windarse seems to want to discuss it with Derry.

Pennyfather
27-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Martin Allen

Yes, of course it was. :p

The Gerry Queen
27-04-2008, 08:04 PM
It was dissapointing to lose to Hull, what with living up here and having to put up with the near hysteria and excitement of the Tigers fans.
However, it wasn't all bad by a long chalk and we are in with a very good chance of qualifying for the play offs. It's in our hands and we know what we need to do.
As for yesterday , I think we won the first half on points as Hull really struggled with Moses and Sinclair. I didn't like the room we were giving Campbell and Folan though and we were made to pay for some costly backing off by Hudson leading to the first goal which Julian had covered incidently, but for a crucial deflection.
If Hudson could head the ball as well as Ashbee we would have won although it didn't help us resorting to hoofing it in the second half instead of the intelligent ground play that looked so promising in the first half.Credit Hull with a tactical change in the second half when they pushed up on our defence blocking the supply to Sinclair and Moses. We should still have been able to create more and that we didn't really was down to Watson and Soares's inability to put their stamp on a game for 90 minutes.
Still we saw enough to suggest that if Warnock can alter tactics (as with Watford) if we have to face them in the play offs we can compete with them and have a good chance of beating them over two legs.

Speroni 6 Not at fault with either goal. Made some good saves particularly after their second. Distribution wasn't up to his usual good standards.

Butterfield 6 Played to instructions and tried to keep it on the deck and creat opportunities. Caught in possesion a couple of times but dealt well with several trickey situations when it became clear that he was being targetted by Hull as the weak link.

Hudson 6 Backed off Campbell too much especially for the first goal and missed two glorious opportunities to score and put us in the driving seat. Some good defensive play and stood up quite well to Hull's physical approach. Still can't stop thinking what I would do with £7k a week and what he could do to justify it ?

Fonte 7 Generally good defensive play and one great late tackle to save a certain goal. Some tendency to back off though. Won a lot in the air.

Hill 7 Good defending and no way through for Hull on the left. Not a lot of ideas moving forward though, unlike Lee Hills

Derry 6 Very quiet after his booking for a nasty foul on Windass ( Who was badly injured but is no angel and should not have been allowed to carry on like some speared bull in the ring ) We needed him to be more tenacious in the second half to win more possesion but fear of a red card and missing a play off match kept him on half throttle.

Soares 6 What he did he did well. Just didn't do enough.

Watson 6 In and out of the game. Some brilliant dead ball delivery and some bad. Not so hot with his long range shots which if he had played them as well as he can, could have saved the game for us at the death.

Sinclair 8 Always a threat. Good goal. Not sure why we took him off

Morrison 7 Worked hard, combined well with Sinclair for the goal and held up play quite well but not nearly as well as Scowcroft does. I think that if Scowcroft had been fit he could have made an impact in the second half taking the pressure off us somewhat and and would also have marked Ashbee better and prevented the winner.

Moses 6 Brillaint in the first 30 minutes but isloated there after and less effective. Should still be an automatic choice though and should concentrate on his end product re accurate crosses and clearer scoring opportunities

Ifill 5 Gave the ball away too much and didn't make the sort of impact we expected. Got clattered and we all expected the worrst which fortunatelly wasn't the case

Scannell 6 Only on for five minutes but lost his man really well once and crossed accurately only for Ben to sky his shot

Warnock 7 We were good for a point but he didn't break the lock Hull had on the game in the last 30 minutes. I'm sure that he is right to think that Fletcher and Scowcroft would have made a difference yesterday. It will be interesting to see if they do should we return to the KC Stadium in a fortnight.

Fans 10 What a turn out and fantastic noise. Hull fans have told me that we were the most vocal and best supported away side this season

Their fans were also very good in the support for their side too

Ref 6 Seemed to be in danger of losing it in the first half. The goal kick decision to Hull just before their goal was pure incompetence. Myhill couldn't believe it and shared that with us. However we were lucky to keep Derry on the field as nobody seems to have seen the tackle on Windass.

Onwards to the Burnley match on Sunday which is massive for us. The stage is set for us to shine and we have seen enough in the past month to feel good about our chances.No room for complacency though and I am glad that we have Warnock in post for this.

Lord Flange
27-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Reps AJ

I take it you didn't go to the redeveloped quayside shopping centre (http://www.princes-quay.co.uk/) or the brand new shopping centre right next to the station (http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=221,77169&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL)?

Whilst I'm sure there are parts of it that are a dump - certainly a few bits of what you might think is the city centre, although I think I've been to Hull 4 times (three of them to watch Palace) so I might be wrong - BUT it hasn't been left to rot and the authorities are doing a massive regeneration project, not their fault you went to the shit bit ;)

Oh, and their stadium make Selhurst look like the dump it is

Yes I have seen both the quayside shopping centre and the other shopping centre. This is my second outing to Hull.

And If shopping is all that Hull has to offer than I am thankful that Mrs Flange buys all my clothes !

Away Day Eagle
27-04-2008, 08:25 PM
As clear a corner up our end as you will ever see - Ifill was nowhere near the header - and he gives a goal kick - claims it came of Ifill - they go down the other end, get a corner and the rest is history!

I've never seen a more blatant corner not given.

Anyway, we move on.

Don't dwell on it

Celestial Empire
27-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by The Gerry Queen

Butterfield 6 Played to instructions and tried to keep it on the deck and creat opportunities. Caught in possesion a couple of times but dealt well with several trickey situations when it became clear that he was being targetted by Hull as the weak link.

I wonder if this has anything to do with him being a former Grimsby player. Did young Daniel get any abuse in the Tiger's den ?

milky87
28-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Not sure if it has been m,entioned on here but this was Hull's biggest ever crowd at the KC

Away Day Eagle
28-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by milky87
Not sure if it has been m,entioned on here but this was Hull's biggest ever crowd at the KC

Cheers milky87 - I thought that might have been the case :p

CPFC_R_GREAT
28-04-2008, 08:33 AM

Yer but he wasn't :p

And Milky thats because "They're only there for the Palace..."

Really enjoyed the day, which says a lot considering the 86th minute winner.

Great weather, Fantastic support...If anything I think it was quiet second half as everyone has sung themselves out. I certainly had.

Well done to all the balloon chaps..all helped.

Owngoal
28-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Croydon Guardian ratings seem to be negative on the midfileld and forward line.

Palace player ratings v Hull
Julian Speroni: Could do nothing with the goals but not as dominant as usual on crosses. 7

Danny Butterfield: Defended admirably in second half but needed to get forward more. 7

Mark Hudson: Made countless headers but could have closed Campbell down better for his goal. 7

Jose Fonte: Great tackle on Campbell at 1-1 looked to have earned a point and he was dominant throughout. Man of the match. 8

Clint Hill: Gave everything at the back but did not get forward to support Moses. 7

Shaun Derry: Covered every blade of grass but again his passing let him down. 6

Ben Watson: A couple of good delivery's and worked hard throughout. 6

Tom Soares: Worked his socks off but little chance to get forward in the second half. 6

Scott Sinclair: First goal for club but faded in the second half after a bright opening. 6

Victor Moses: Strangely subdued and needs to work on his final ball. 6

Clinton Morrison: Starved of service and looked frustrated. 6

SUBS:

Paul Ifill (Sinclair, 70): Did not get in the game. 5

Sean Scannell (Derry, 87): Little time to make an impact. 5

bald-eagle
28-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Nice (!!) picture in the sun, with an enlargement of the wound. Payback for all the defenders he's clattered in the past. Dirty northern fecker.

sydnsteve
28-04-2008, 01:21 PM
TBF, I I've always found Windass hard but fair as a player. That was a bad tackle and I am amazed that Derry stayed on the pitch.

AJ
28-04-2008, 01:39 PM

I was disappointed to hear this when Derry did it. I don't want this club to be associated with players acting in this way. I hope it was simply an accident(at least the injury) from Derry and he didn't intentionally cause that injury.

How would we feel if that was Morrison walking off?

limited_edition
28-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Contrary to the beliefs of some on here, I thought we played some nice footie most of the match. We only resorted to the hoof after their 2nd and that is understandable as we had little time to claw back the match. What we were a tad guilty of was sitting back after a storming first half performance. Not that Hull created much 2nd half, but they pinned us back in our half far too much in the 2nd period with their horrible hoofball. All in all, I'll take this on the chin. We should bounce back v Burnley.

Speroni 6 1/2 - Only 2 real saves to make all match. Tipped a free kick onto the bar 1st half. Parried a shot late 2nd when we were bombing on forward to chase that 2nd equaliser. His parry could have gone in had it not been cleared on the line. Thought he could have got down to the Campbell goal, although I have a suspicion that perhaps he was a tad unsighted. No chance with the 2nd.

Butts 8 - A very composed performance all match, defensively. Wasn't intimidated by their bruising hoofball tactics. Tried to overlap Scotty mostly first half, but kept his distribution simple and on the ground. Just about edges his fellow defenders for MOM.

Hill 7 1/2 - Was a danger with his huge leap for flick ons at corners, but that was about it coming foward. Sound defensively. Hardly hoofed it aimlessly out of defence.

Hudson 7 1/2 - Best defensive display for a while. Unruffled. Didn't lose his concentration, which is a Hudson weakness. Better distribution, too. The odd hoof here and there, but far better than the norm for him. Could have done a tad better to block Campbell's shot maybe.

Fonte 7 1/2 - Coped reasonably well with the physical battle Hull provided, but struggled a wee bit with the pace of Campbell initially. But one superb tackle on Campbell 2nd half.

Soares 6 - Tackled, closed down and did a lot of dirty work first half. Forced Hull back with his closing down at times. Didn't get forward that much, but kept it simple with his passing. Back to his anonymous worse 2nd half.

Derry 6 1/2 - Protected the defence well 1st half. Tried to link play with decent passing coming forward, too. Could have been sent off by another ref for the incident with Windass. Ragged 2nd half as he lost possession very cheaply. Possibly tired in the heat of the 2nd half.

Ben 7 - Better coming forward than of late, trying to get on the end of attacking moves. Was the only midfielder that didn't seem to tire or switch of 2nd half. Some nice setpieces all game and had a low shot wide 2nd half when the rest of the team couldn't be arsed crossing the halfway line.

Sinclair 6 1/2 - Excellent first half. Persistence for the goal. Worried them when he ran at them, although his final ball needs to be better. Tired 2nd half, or was it the hammy playing up ?

Moses 7 - Didn't lose possession by overelaborating, so his game seems to have matured in a very short space of time. Puts in dangerous low crosses (something a 'proper' winger in Sinclair could do well to emulate). Didn't get the ball enough 2nd half as we sat back. Played centrally when Scannell came on & even in the few mins in that position he didn't lose possession, looked strong on the ball and generally didn't look out of place.

Morrison 6 1/2 - Chased everything first half. Even showed a bit of pace at times. Nice play for Scotty's goal. Didn't see the ball much 2nd.

Subs
-----
Ifill 5 - Fell over, lost possession easily and went down for an eternity after one challenge. Looked better when he switched to the left, cutting inside and occasionally using his left peg on the outside.

Scannell - n/a At the corner leading to their winner, he was waiting to come on. I imagine for Moses, but this changed when they scored and we had to go for it. Didn't really make an impact in such a short time as he seldom got the ball. But I remember one nice turn and cross by him.

Mark Gardiner
28-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by trickyricky66
as ever spot on mark.may be you take this critic larky fulltime m8:lux:

Beats working for Man U's sponsors....

sydnsteve
29-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by AJ
I was disappointed to hear this when Derry did it. I don't want this club to be associated with players acting in this way. I hope it was simply an accident(at least the injury) from Derry and he didn't intentionally cause that injury.

How would we feel if that was Morrison walking off?

I don't think Derry is dirty, but he does mis-time. The fact that he was so quiet afterwards by the sounds of it certainly suggests it affected him, which also suggests he did not mean it.

glaziers fan
29-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by limited_edition

Butts 8 - A very composed performance all match, defensively. Wasn't intimidated by their bruising hoofball tactics. Tried to overlap Scotty mostly first half, but kept his distribution simple and on the ground. Just about edges his fellow defenders for MOM.

Finally the voice of reason. I can't remember him being beaten once, was always an outlet for Speroni, got forward well and looked to pass it. You all moan at the hoofing and then when someone tries to pass it everyone else on here marks him down for it. The times he lost possession it wasn't costly and he'd won the ball himself in the first place.

He's a crucial player. He needs to come forward vs Burnley as well. Hope he is ok.

limited_edition
29-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Finally the voice of reason. I can't remember him being beaten once, was always an outlet for Speroni, got forward well and looked to pass it. You all moan at the hoofing and then when someone tries to pass it everyone else on here marks him down for it. The times he lost possession it wasn't costly and he'd won the ball himself in the first place.

He's a crucial player. He needs to come forward vs Burnley as well. Hope he is ok. Butts always seems to struggle to get into the pace of games after coming back from his many, various injuries. Hopefully, he can stay fit for a while now. Esp as Lenny needs that hernia op.

Seba
29-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Ifill was terrible

Nodwello
29-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Ifill was Awfill. why take sinclair off for that.

Away Day Eagle
29-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Butts always seems to struggle to get into the pace of games after coming back from his many, various injuries. Hopefully, he can stay fit for a while now. Esp as Lenny needs that hernia op.

Indeed.

Recent performances suggest that he may be hitting some good form just at the right time for us.

Fingers crossed on the fitness issues.

limited_edition
29-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Thought Butts was good v Scunny and was very unlucky to be dropped for Lenny at Watford. Understand why though. Given Watford are a bruisingly big team. But then again, he coped well with the same tactics v Hull. I think Danny enjoys having an outlet in Scotty in front of him. Or Ifill. It means he doesn't have to bomb forward for the overlap all the time, which I felt left him exposed defensively earlier this season and last when we had little or no width on the right, or indeed on either flank.