PDA

View Full Version : Worries over "hanging on"

prizesucker
26-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Over the last few months of NW's reign, there have been a number of games where for the last 20mins, we retreat and hang on, be it for a point or all three and, Palace have never been good at this. A few examples come to mind.

Leicester (a) - Yes the pitch was awful but just when it looked like we had "held on" for a good point, we conceeded a last minute goal.

Bristol City (a) - I know most people will look at the 5mins extra time, but another fact is, we conceeded a last minute goal after hanging on for 3 points.

Scunthorpe (h) - Even though the final score looked fairly comfortable, they hit the post and had another very good oppurtunity in the last 10mins to claim a draw.

Stoke (a) - I know we won but they scored with 7/8 minutes to go and it was a very nervous finish.

Hull (a) - Hearing reports such as "Palace look comfortable Jeff" and hanging on for a point and we are undone by a set piece.

In most of those games listed above, we have been very impressive going forward, scored some wonderful goals and looked dangerous, but then suddenly with 20mins to go, we seem to get nervous and not show the confidence from the first 70 mins.
Would anyone else prefer us to keep attacking rather than the "shutting up shop" and "a point will do" attitude that PT got heavily criticized for?

Or is this just "the palace way of doing things"?

PeterH
26-04-2008, 07:17 PM
You have answered your own question.

Today we tried to hang on for 45 minutes.

Eagle El
26-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Always puzzles me - hanging on. Why not carry on playing as before we score or concede? It obviously works, so why change?

Tactics pah! No wonder my Junior football career only yielded a few trophies!

Penstone Eagle
26-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by prizesucker
Over the last few months of NW's reign, there have been a number of games where for the last 20mins, we retreat and hang on, be it for a point or all three and, Palace have never been good at this. A few examples come to mind.

Leicester (a) - Yes the pitch was awful but just when it looked like we had "held on" for a good point, we conceeded a last minute goal.

Bristol City (a) - I know most people will look at the 5mins extra time, but another fact is, we conceeded a last minute goal after hanging on for 3 points.

Scunthorpe (h) - Even though the final score looked fairly comfortable, they hit the post and had another very good oppurtunity in the last 10mins to claim a draw.

Stoke (a) - I know we won but they scored with 7/8 minutes to go and it was a very nervous finish.

Hull (a) - Hearing reports such as "Palace look comfortable Jeff" and hanging on for a point and we are undone by a set piece.

In most of those games listed above, we have been very impressive going forward, scored some wonderful goals and looked dangerous, but then suddenly with 20mins to go, we seem to get nervous and not show the confidence from the first 70 mins.
Would anyone else prefer us to keep attacking rather than the "shutting up shop" and "a point will do" attitude that PT got heavily criticized for?

I think most of us are just grateful of being where we are now, along with most other teams in the crap league we are far from perfect, NW had a huge job on when he came and has managed to instill some confidence and self belief in to what were a beleagured set of players, it maybe a bit nervy at times but things are far from perfect at Watford, Wolves and Ipswich either.

ZOHAR
26-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Quote from NW after today's match:

"At the end I didn't want us to go silly and concede another goal because it could be vital in the run-in - we've got a nice cushion on the teams below us."

SLP

Duffle Coat
26-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I think NW is right. We have that percentage cushion and that is the difference. We should be able to just do the necessary next week and that will do. Not spectacular but effective. Play-offs. In one way, maybe the Hull defeat is part of the plan. If we play them, to give too much in the game would be to sell ourselves. Hanging on will be an issue if we are drawing the second leg of the play off with five minutes left. Then, it will be hanging on.

orp pisshead1
26-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by prizesucker

Thought we had a go all game today:p, despite defeat teams still fear us.

Halfwayline
26-04-2008, 08:18 PM
The stats show that we concede less than 1 goal in a average game, so the odds of conceding in the last 9 mins if we have a lead is 1 in 10. You have to play the odds.

Dom the Eagle
26-04-2008, 08:24 PM
If Fletcher had came on we would have held on. However, his wife was giving birth so he was unavailable.

sunshine lucas
26-04-2008, 08:39 PM
... but we've been doing this as far as I know for the last 38 years at least - it's nothing new we've never been good at it - the personnel change but that's all! And we have managed to hold on in a few biggies - v West Ham with Dowie and Villa Park v Liverpool... Just don't mention Man U in the first Final or v Charlton in the Prem....

I should also say my own worst experience at our non-ability to 'hang on' was v Chelsea at Selhurst one Boxing Day... :grrr: Can't remember the year - but it was v annoying to concede equaliser so late...

Dan 05
26-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Attack is the best form of defence.

philsick
26-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Dan 05
Attack is the best form of defence.

I was talking with a hull fan after the game.He said he was shitting himself everytime we attacked in the 1st half and said he was glad we tried to hang on for the draw in the 2nd,as he thought we were going to beat them.

Sheeps
26-04-2008, 09:17 PM
will kirally be in goal next week?

Halfwayline
26-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Hope not, if he were to fumble it would be said he did it on purpose.

917L
26-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Halfwayline
Hope not, if he were to fumble it would be said he did it on purpose.

Would you care what anyone said?

917L
26-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Penstone Eagle
I think most of us are just grateful of being where we are now, along with most other teams in the crap league we are far from perfect, NW had a huge job on when he came and has managed to instill some confidence and self belief in to what were a beleagured set of players, it maybe a bit nervy at times but things are far from perfect at Watford, Wolves and Ipswich either.

Agree with this

I dont like the retreating deeper and deeper as the game goes on (we used to do it alot under Coppell) but it seems to be a teams natural way.

How can we complain about anything since NW arerived after the shambles Taylor had left him?

etu
27-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Dom the Eagle
If Fletcher had came on we would have held on. However, his wife was giving birth so he was unavailable.

I was wondering why he wasn't on the bench, think he could have changed things. Or maybe not. Hope everything goes well with him and he's available for the next game.

Funk Butter
27-04-2008, 04:35 AM
Our rate of giving up late goals with Warnock is nowhere near what it was with Dowie and Taylor.

Ron Dogers
27-04-2008, 08:49 AM
If they are worrying about defending they won't be up our end and if they do and you have subbed your way to a holding formation it's difficult to get one back IMHO