PDA

View Full Version : Ian Wrights Column in The Sun

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Predictable rubbish.

Every single week. 3 recent examples off the top of my head:

Example 1.

‘Shaun should be playing more games and if not, I fear he may need to move’ – Don’t worry, I ‘fear’ Roman thinks he needs to move too. Soon. Plus, as his dad it’d be strange if you said ‘Shaun needs a good long spell in the reserves, and is an overpriced flop’

Example 2.

‘I quit the BBC as I was only there to be a jester for Hansen and Shearer’

Get away? – I thought you were hired for your technical analysis skills?

Example 3.

‘The FA MUST help Gazza’

Why must they? – Is it the new policy that when you get handed an international cap, you also get a handy little laminated card for your wallet with a 24/7 hotline number to an FA approved psychiatrist should you ever have a nervous breakdown?

If he’s eating raw liver whilst playing his Playstation3 with ‘MAD’ scrawled on his forehead, he needs to phone the Samaritans, not Brian Barwick.

How’s it supposed to work? - “Hello, Mr.Barwick, It’s Gazza. I used to work for your company part-time a few years ago? – Anyway, me mates have all buggered off, and I’ve accidentally developed a concurrent drink/drugs/gambling addition, and I was just wondering like, if you had any vacancies like?”

Here’s an idea Ian… seeing as you love him so much, you offer him a job working for your agency? …………. No?... thought not.

Along with Jane Moores pathetic ‘observations’ in her column, Ian Wrights column is one that I can’t be bothered to read anymore.

Sort it out Murdoch.

ArthurWait
23-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Why don't you have a go at reading a proper newspaper? I very much doubt whether he writes his own column and is probably getting extremely well rewarded for putting his name to it, so more fool you for reading it. I very much doubt if Rupert Murdoch ever reads it aswell - all he's interested in is how many copies he's sold an a particular day.

greybot
23-05-2008, 12:30 PM
You read the sun?

bern5161
23-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Jack Regan

Sort it out Murdoch.

He has. That's why he's employing Wright. If you don't want to read the sort of pulp that panders to the most base instincts of the common people then don't waste money on a Murdoch rag.

Sussex Eagle
23-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Quelle suprise Jack...

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=141079&highlight=wright#post141079
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=286385&highlight=wright#post286385
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=1195531&highlight=wright#post1195531
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=2422442&highlight=wright#post2422442
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=3677267&highlight=wright#post3677267
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=3772907&highlight=wright#post3772907
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=4416900&highlight=wright#post4416900

Has the column got 'No Class' by any chance?

Almost all footballers' "columns" are ghostwritten generic tut. Not read it but I imagine Wrighty's Sun pieces are in this category. Have you really returned to the BBS just to tread the same familiar ground JR?

west country boy
23-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Woohoo! Newspaper snobbery on the BBS!

Anyway, I thought JR read the Mail since Littlejohn jumped ship from the super soaraway?

Sussex Eagle
23-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I quit the BBS as I was only there to be a jester for James and Richard
Sad but true.

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by west country boy
Woohoo! Newspaper snobbery on the BBS!

Anyway, I thought JR read the Mail since Littlejohn jumped ship from the super soaraway?

He didn't 'jump ship' - he was sacked.

And you're right, I do read the Mail, usually online though. Littlejohn has a column in there today.

Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1021329/How-come-MPs-allowed-consciences.html

markholmes1991
23-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Sussex Eagle's obviously's been doing his research, and JR's previous comments/posts on Ian Wright doesn't necessarily reflect particularly well.
JR stop being petty, move on.

Psychokiller
23-05-2008, 01:29 PM
You back for good Mark? Or are you gonna piss off again?

markholmes1991
23-05-2008, 01:30 PM
think i'll bugger off once i'm married, ;)

Psychokiller
23-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Thought you already got married? :confused:

west country boy
23-05-2008, 01:35 PM
He didn't 'jump ship' - he was sacked. You sure about that? I knew there were tensions between him and Rebekah Wade because she objected to him showing her chum Blunkett up as an idiot, but am fairly certain it was his choice to rejoin The Mail.

Anyway, nice to have you back.

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by markholmes1991
Sussex Eagle's obviously's been doing his research, and JR's previous comments/posts on Ian Wright doesn't necessarily reflect particularly well.
JR stop being petty, move on.

On the contrary, it reflects very well on me and proves I'm consistent. how many on here can say that?

As a matter of interest, do you think the FA should 'do something' to help Gazza?

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 01:39 PM
You sure about that? I knew there were tensions between him and Rebekah Wade because she objected to him showing her chum Blunkett up as an idiot, but am fairly certain it was his choice to rejoin The Mail.

Anyway, nice to have you back.

Thanks......

He was sacked. He mentions it in 'Littlejohns Britain'

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
23-05-2008, 01:48 PM
It looks like Jack probably isn't a big fan of Ian Wright. But I don't see anything unusual about Jack Regan wanting to make a similar point on a number of different threads over a number of years. You'll find that happens a lot on the BBS.

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels
It looks like Jack probably isn't a big fan of Ian Wright. But I don't see anything unusual about Jack Regan wanting to make a similar point on a number of different threads over a number of years. You'll find that happens a lot on the BBS.

Exactly.

Quite why someone would go to all the bother of digging out some old quotes to prove I'm consistent is beyond me.

Still, it takes all sorts I suppose.

west country boy
23-05-2008, 01:54 PM
He was sacked. He mentions it in 'Littlejohns Britain' Ah. That's not what was said at the time, but thanks for the clarification.

Back to the topic, Ian Wright's column *is* utter toilet.

dee eff
23-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Jack, you might want to change your signature now.

Something like...

"The Future's Bright. The Identity of the Landlord Hasn't Been Fully Established"

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Back to the topic, Ian Wright's column *is* utter toilet.

Whether Wright writes it or not, his name is on the header. He professes to be a big mate of 'Gazza' but thinks it's the FA's problem to sort out.

Why??

Are you an ex-England football international with an alcohol, drug, or gambling addiction?

Do you hit women, and/or are you clinically depressed?

Were you employed by the FA between 1966 and 2007?

Have you got between 25 and 75 caps at full international level?

If you can answer ‘yes’ to 3 of the above questions, the FA could have some exciting opportunities waiting for you, and you could be in line for compensation.

Our national scouting network is currently under represented by problem drinkers, drug addicts, compulsive gamblers, and wife-batterers.

Brian Barwick and his team of FA psychiatrists are waiting for your call NOW so phone 0800-ADDICTION now for more details and for immediate interviews nationwide.

The FA

Helping you to tackle your demons.

Sussex Eagle
23-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels
He's claiming to be making a point about Wright's column, not mentioning that he used the call the man a **** on a very regular basis before he bottled the BBS, and could never have a kind word to say about him - I see nothing Jack points out any worse than the average ex-pro's third-rate tabloid column.

I'm just pointing out that JR has his own agenda for those who don't remember him, and that it's a pointless thread.

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by dee eff
Jack, you might want to change your signature now.

Something like...

"The Future's Bright. The Identity of the Landlord Hasn't Been Fully Established"

Done!

Lydder
23-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Personally think the SUN is a good paper, I get it if there is no Daily Sport or STAR in my local newsagent.

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Lydder
Personally think the SUN is a good paper, I get it if there is no Daily Sport or STAR in my local newsagent.

The Sun is the best seller in the country, yet no-one admits to buying it.

It's a bit like trying to find someone who voted for Maggie. Everyone denies voting for her, but she somehow managed to win 3 general elections.

Were they all rigged?

Away Day Eagle
23-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I actually think JR makes some good points here.

Wright's column is dirge, ghost written or not, however, is probably what it's target audience want/expect to hear.

He's deemed a popular enough figure to have mass appeal and quite probably does.

His duplicity is in the public domain is well documented.

If he was such a mate of Gazza surely a phone call or a visit to see him or the offer for him to stay with him could be be done privately?
But no, it pads out his column nicely.

danpalace07
23-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Lydder
Is that because of page 3 ?:D

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
If he was such a mate of Gazza surely a phone call or a visit to see him or the offer for him to stay with him could be be done privately?
But no, it pads out his column nicely.

Exactly right ADE.

I really don't get this 'the FA MUST do something' that Wright spouts.

Why must they 'do something' ??

It's like me going back to an employer of 15 years ago and laying it on a bit thick...

"Hello, is that the Human Resources Department?"

"Yes"

"Oh, Hi, it's Jack Regan here, I used to work for you in 1991? - Anyway, I've had a bit of a battle with the bottle lately, and I've done my last £25,000 at Ladbrokes at the weekend (Michael Stoute trained 2 year-old ridden Dettori beaten by a short head), and I was just wondering if you could 'do something' for me?"

<Silence>

BRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Come to think of it, Wright isn't the only one to spout this rubbish about the FA having to 'do something'

I recall Venables writing in the NotW that the 'football family' should 'do something'

What does that even mean ??

Away Day Eagle
23-05-2008, 03:02 PM

I recall Venables writing in the NotW that the 'football family' should 'do something'

Don't get me started on that ****.

Surely he could slip him a few £, I dare say he's not short of a bob or two.

Some friends aren't they ?

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Couldn't Venables offer Gazza a job as a glass collector in Scribes West?

And whatever happened to Jimmy 'Five-Brain-Cells' Gardiner anyway? - Surely he could 'do something' ?

Away Day Eagle
23-05-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm almost certain I read somewhere that he was suffering from depression due to Gazza's plight and how he felt partly responsible***

A load of cock and bull no doubt.

***Using my in built b-sh1t translator I assumed this actually meant that both me and Gazza are skint and all interview proceeds will go to our ale/curry fund.

west country boy
23-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I actually think JR makes some good points here.

Wright's column is dirge, ghost written or not, however, is probably what it's target audience want/expect to hear. It's definitely ghost-written - at the end of each week's column it says "Ian Wright was speaking to Charlie Wyett" (or whoever).

And Regan - I certainly admit to buying The Sun (even though ADE disapproves).

Jack Regan
23-05-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm almost certain I read somewhere that he was suffering from depression due to Gazza's plight and how he felt partly responsible***

A load of cock and bull no doubt.

***Using my in built b-sh1t translator I assumed this actually meant that both me and Gazza are skint and all interview proceeds will go to our ale/curry fund.

"Partly Responsible" ? - that's decent of him.

Pleased to report your b-sh1t translator is functioning fully in accordance with the manufacturers specifications ADE.

"Gazza!... we've na money left for Newky Broon and Chicken vin-a-loo like!"

"What can we do Jimmy!?"

"Well, if ya check into a hotel, order raw liver, play on the PS3 all day, write 'MAD' on yer skull, and prance around naked in front of the staff, I'll alert the tabloids and sell it as an exclusive!"

<silence>

"What da ya think Gazza?"

"Pass us the crayons Jimmy"

will hung
23-05-2008, 03:43 PM
typical BBS gloating at mental illness, i hope you guys never suffer from depression (actually i do)

ammiller
23-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Exactly right ADE.

I really don't get this 'the FA MUST do something' that Wright spouts.

Why must they 'do something' ??

It's like me going back to an employer of 15 years ago and laying it on a bit thick...

"Hello, is that the Human Resources Department?"

"Yes"

"Oh, Hi, it's Jack Regan here, I used to work for you in 1991? - Anyway, I've had a bit of a battle with the bottle lately, and I've done my last £25,000 at Ladbrokes at the weekend (Michael Stoute trained 2 year-old ridden Dettori beaten by a short head), and I was just wondering if you could 'do something' for me?"

<Silence>

BRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

More poison from the DI.

Why are you saying 15 years ago?
Gascoigne last played for England as recently as 10 years ago.

Although his last act on England duty was to smash up Glenn Hoddle's hotel room.

JohnA
24-05-2008, 08:41 AM
I hope the DI is up in front of a promotion board soon. Based on this thread he'd be a Chief Super if not Commander

Al From Bromley
24-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Wright was always rubbish for Palace. Hugely overrated, was glad when he went. ;)

jone-zee
24-05-2008, 12:17 PM
The Sun is the best seller in the country, yet no-one admits to buying it.
:hi:
It's a bit like trying to find someone who voted for Maggie. Everyone denies voting for her, but she somehow managed to win 3 general elections.
:hi:

Very similar to all the Latte Crew that deny voting Nooooooooo Layyyyyy-Bourrrrr.

Typical Palace
24-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Wright states the blatantly obvious. But not as bad as Shearer 'He should've scored that'. At least Wright shows some charcter doing it.

Ghosted columns easy money for the pension. They can't have startling opinions all the time though. There's only so much one can say about football. BUt given the newspapers acreage they have to fill it with the likes of Ian's froth and blather.

If you were Wright would you turn it down?

Away Day Eagle
03-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Jack any chance of a review/executive summary of this week's column, just heard on the radio a reference to this week's instalment.

Thanks

stupalace
03-06-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1238054.ece

sw16girl
04-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I see El Tel has decided that the best way of helping his mate is to spread his "plea" all across the front page of the Sun and reveal details of private conversations between the two of them - what an arsehole.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1243048.ece

stupalace
04-06-2008, 05:00 PM
The drunk character in the Bassett England manager film was based on Gazza . ( Kevin Tonkinson )

Then I went round to see him face-to-face and a light switched on.

He realised I was there, his head lifted and he said: "Hello Gaffer."

A big smile spread across his face. The old Gazza was back in the room.

Almost straight out of the film , 7 years later hes still doing it

Freddy Kurz
04-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Great striker, but no intellectual.....

Jack Regan
05-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by sw16girl
I see El Tel has decided that the best way of helping his mate is to spread his "plea" all across the front page of the Sun and reveal details of private conversations between the two of them - what an arsehole.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1243048.ece

Gazza rung up Venerials from the police station.

One can only imagine the poor blokes state of mind as he fumbled around on his mobile phone and decided the best thing to do was to search the address book under 'V'

TopKnot
05-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Don't get me started on that ****.

Some friends aren't they ?

In his defence, Venables apparently paid for a lot of Gazza's time spent in rehab.

But you're right, he's still a ••••...

Jack Regan
10-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Has the column got 'No Class' by any chance?

Funnily enough that's exactly what Wright is accusing Christiano Ronaldo of in todays Current Bun.

Apparently, he 'owes' Ferguson after he stood by him after the incident with Rooney in the last world cup. Wright is saying that he has no class, and he shouldn't even be contemplating a move to Real Madrid.

The truth of the matter is you can get away with murder with Ferguson if you're a half-decent footballer. Morals don't come into it.

Physically attack a spectator? - no problem

Fail to attend a drugs test - no problem

Get another player sent off by feigning injury? - no problem

Ferguson's the one with no class, and he laughingly tells us he'll let Ronaldo 'rot in the reserves' rather than sell him.

As for Christiano, if Real Madrid are offering you £300K a week 'netto', fill your boots son - you owe no-one nothing.

Away Day Eagle
10-06-2008, 03:11 PM
The truth of the matter is you can get away with murder with Ferguson if you're a half-decent footballer. Morals don't come into it.

Ain't that the truth :p

No Gazza this week ?

Edit : I had the misfortune to hear him and Dourham on the radio yesterday.

Woeful.

Jack Regan
10-06-2008, 03:16 PM
No Gazza this week ?

Well, no Gazza as in 'Paul' this week, but I did see some pictures of Bianca 'Gascoigne' falling out of a nightclub drunk in the papers. She needs to get a job, same as that scouse trollop that went out with Sherringham.

Away Day Eagle
10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Well, no Gazza as in 'Paul' this week, but I did see some pictures of Bianca 'Gascoigne' falling out of a nightclub drunk in the papers. She needs to get a job, same as that scouse trollop that went out with Sherringham.

She already hads a 'job' - she's Gazza's step-daughter.

Bet she's glad he's back in the news, even if it's for all the wrong reasons, but she's got her 'career' to consider.