PDA

View Full Version : Programming languages

chav_hater
11-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi all,

A few colleagues of mine have recommended to start learning VBA, C/C++ and Java to a decent level.

Are they hard to learn for someone who is fairly computer literate but never learnt programming before?

Sorry in advance if this is a trivial question for you IT bods!

Thanks a lot.

mrsilly
11-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Learn C# get yourself on of the sams teach yourself guides and plough through it.

Random*
11-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Why have they recommend that you learn these languages?

VBA is purely an old Microsoft Office automation language - it's recommended to use C# now for those tasks afaik, so I can't see a benefit in learning that unless you want to make some special macros in Excel or Word.

C++ is left to the realm of some financial services (although they are moving away from that) and games programmers for being the most optimisable language speed wise (but it's trickier to learn than Java/C#).

Java could be useful... as could C# as recommended above (90% of developer demand right now is in those languages). OK, I'm generalising here, but the real question is....

What do you intend to do with this knowledge?

chav_hater
11-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Random*
Why have they recommend that you learn these languages?

VBA is purely an old Microsoft Office automation language - it's recommended to use C# now for those tasks afaik, so I can't see a benefit in learning that unless you want to make some special macros in Excel or Word.

C++ is left to the realm of some financial services (although they are moving away from that) and games programmers for being the most optimisable language speed wise (but it's trickier to learn than Java/C#).

Java could be useful... as could C# as recommended above (90% of developer demand right now is in those languages). OK, I'm generalising here, but the real question is....

What do you intend to do with this knowledge?

For Front Office work i.e. financial services as you said above. Risk management models etc.

se1eagle
11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
If you specifically want to do Windows programming as random says C++ is being used less in favour of C# these days as C# development is much faster and less buggy as it's managed code.

It's tougher to learn C/C++ but you'll be forced to understand how computer programs really work on the inside. Java/VBA/C# are higher level - with C you can almost taste the chips! It should be pretty easy to move from C++ to C#, plus the C syntax is identical to Javascript and very close to PHP so there are lots of benefits to learning it.

If you've never programmed before, I'd probably start with C, then learn the basics of C++ OOP, then go directly to C#.

Cake and Eat It
11-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Learn Ruby on Rails, Python etc.

Random*
11-07-2008, 11:07 AM
C++ is used by some financial services on their back ends because you can make it run very quickly and so handle very high volumes of transactions... I wouldn't think you will need to be doing that.

If you're mostly interested in Office automation then C# would be good (if you're on Office 2003 and beyond), but if you want to create your own basic Windows applications then either C# or Java are fine. My personal preference is C# because the APIs are better structured, but either is fine.

Random*
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Cake and Eat It
Learn Ruby on Rails

Ruby = Fad.

Dave
11-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Ruby is wicked - it just doesn't scale well, yet.

I'd learn anything open source - PHP, Python, Ruby or if you want to get serious start with C

C# is kinda cool as you can build .Net and Java

Random*
11-07-2008, 11:38 AM
http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/steverowe/WindowsLiveWriter/ProgrammingLanguageHierarchy_1489F/programmer_hierarchy%5B7%5D.gif

Dave
11-07-2008, 11:39 AM
MSDN

se1eagle
11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Lol why is LISP at the top with assembly?

Nork1
11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I must be the only person in the world who still uses REXX. :(

se1eagle
11-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Nork1
I must be the only person in the world who still uses REXX.

Wow, I used aRexx back on the Amiga. It was cool!

chav_hater
11-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Random*
C++ is used by some financial services on their back ends because you can make it run very quickly and so handle very high volumes of transactions... I wouldn't think you will need to be doing that.

Lots of firms like traders to be able to use one of Java, C/C++ or VBA, which is why I'm trying to get some feedback from you guys.

Is the general consensus to start off with C?

se1eagle
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
This might help you out if you start some C - there's a downloadable PDF of the original C reference manual by Kernighan + Ritchie.

http://www.c4swimmers.net/portal/book/Download-The-C-Programming-Language

Random*
12-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by chav_hater
Lots of firms like traders to be able to use one of Java, C/C++ or VBA, which is why I'm trying to get some feedback from you guys.

Is the general consensus to start off with C?

I'd start with Java personally.