PDA

View Full Version : Electricity Bill Concern (non-credit crunch related)

CPFC87
31-07-2008, 03:55 PM
To cut to the chase, myself and 5 of my housemates did not recieve or pay an electricity bill in our student house we were renting between September 2006-July 2008. Intially we attempted to find out who our supplier was, ringing up British Gas (?), N-Power etc in the process. However, none of the companies could find that the household had an account set up with them, nor that they were supplying our electricity.

We thus assumed that since the house did not have an account with any of the main providers, our electricity would be cut. We assumed that if this were to be the case, we would recieve a letter from our provider company in question with details of how we could re-ignite our supply and start-up regular payment. None of this materialised, and yet, our electricity was never cut in the 22 months of our stay.

We are now faced with a predicament whereby our letting agency wants proof of our final paid electricity bill in order for us to secure back our intial bond/deposit of 300. We have paid everything else completely and been able to supply them with the relevent documents.

At this point we still do not know who supplied our electricity for the duration of our tenancy, and feel that if we have to ask our letting agency direct it may imply that we have never known and thus never paid an electricity bill (as is the case), which they may clock onto.

Ideally we want to first somehow findout who supplied our electricity, and secondly to ask ONLY for a bill for the last quarter of our tenancy to be sent to our house, but how can we go about this?

Secondly, surely someone must have been paying our electric, or is it possible that we just got away without getting a bill and being pulled up on it?

And lastly, for anyone who lives/or has lived in a house with around 5/6 people, can someone give me a conservative estimate as to how much their electric is/has been each quarter, or in other words, how much we would have been expected to pay for what was essentially an 18 month stay (- 4 months of holidays when no one was really in the property).

Sunny Fan
31-07-2008, 04:06 PM
How would you get an estimate for the last quarter's use if no-one's been checking the meter?

Ready Teddy
31-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Is it 300 each, or 300 between the six of you?

nicky
31-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Is that 300 or 300 each?

18 months electricity will be ceratilny more than 300.

Two suggestions:

i)
Get the letting agent to confirm in writing that the only issue with your deposit is the electricity bill.

ii) ask the letting agent to give you the last meter reading and supplier from the last tenancy.

Ready Teddy
31-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Just a couple of questions/points.

A) Why was you not told at the start when you moved into the property who your supplier was?

B) TBH, I would just leave the 300, thats only 18 each over the 18 months you have been there and if you do start trying to find the supplier they are going to want proof of when you moved in from etc, and the hassle that comes with that as well as the fact that you may find a massive bill, who else for example is using your electric that you don't know about?, of which you would be liable for.

Mong!
Probably 800ish?

paf
if it's 300 each, then just get any old electric bill with a balance of zero, scan it, get a phtoshop type to change the billing address, then photocopy it and hand it to the letting agent, he aint gonna look too closely.

Mojo Jojo
31-07-2008, 04:15 PM
if the letting agent wants this off you he must have it off the last tenants, can you just fess up and ask for the info?

failing that, if it's 300 deposit between you I'd leave it.

CPFC87
31-07-2008, 04:19 PM
300 deposit each.

CPFC87
31-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Ready Teddy
Just a couple of questions/points.

A) Why was you not told at the start when you moved into the property who your supplier was?

B) TBH, I would just leave the 300, thats only 18 each over the 18 months you have been there and if you do start trying to find the supplier they are going to want proof of when you moved in from etc, and the hassle that comes with that as well as the fact that you may find a massive bill, who else for example is using your electric that you don't know about?, of which you would be liable for.

A) Don't know, and I'm sure we asked and they said it was an issue for us to find out.

telodaja
31-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Try this

http://www.mypropertyguide.co.uk/articles/display/10041/who-supplies-my-gas-and-electric.htm

You should find out from here who your supplier is, but I would guess that you might be in for a hefty bill from them

telodaja
31-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I would guess a conservative estimate for 6 of you, would be anywhere between 75 & 100 per month. So you could be looking at between 1000 - 1500 since you took over. It is possible that somehow you have been receiving electricty without paying. When I switched provider to combine gas & electric two years ago, they sent me a gas bill but I had to ring them about the electric as they had forgotten to action it.
May well be that the previous tenants switched supplier and the address has slipped through the net so to speak

drizzt
31-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by telodaja
Try this

http://www.mypropertyguide.co.uk/articles/display/10041/who-supplies-my-gas-and-electric.htm

You should find out from here who your supplier is, but I would guess that you might be in for a hefty bill from them

Spot on call your local electricity distribution company and they will be able to tell you the supplier.

CPFC87
31-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by drizzt
Spot on call your local electricity distribution company and they will be able to tell you the supplier.

CE Electric is our LEDC. Weird thing is on their website where you can search for your address:

http://www.ce-electricuk.com/page/contact.cfm?coAreaLocator_mode=search

Our does not appear but all of the houses from number 2-8 do (we are number 3!)

We are definately in a YEDL area mind.

CPFC87
31-07-2008, 05:02 PM
If we fail to submit to them an Electricity bill does anyone think they will act to question/find out why?