PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Downing is a...

lanepe
09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
...quality footballer.

Suberb crosser of the ball.

Good pace.

Can beat players.

So there.

kolinkins
09-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Yes

No

No

So there

gold76
09-11-2008, 10:53 PM
good domestically, not an England player though imo

Super-Ste-Cious
09-11-2008, 10:56 PM
good domestically, not an England player though imo

Is the right answer!

palace & proud
09-11-2008, 11:01 PM
...quality footballer.

Good pace.

Can beat players.

So there.

Cant do it for England :eek:

etu
09-11-2008, 11:05 PM
There was a brief period at the start of Capello's reign where I thought he'd put it together and do it, but the confidence seems to have ebbed away from him. Its a shame, he's a good crosser, has a decent shot and is fairly two-footed for an English player. Doesn't really have the guile to go past good full-backs but then neither did Beckham. Not that Downing's as good a crosser, but if he can play as well internationally as he does domestically he'd be worth a place in the squad.

lanepe
09-11-2008, 11:07 PM
I think he could. Ok - perhaps not first choice but he should be in with a shout.

I dont understand why he is so disliked. Confidence issue in the white shirt. Understandable with the fans reaction when he puts it on.

palace & proud
09-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I wonder why Cappello was at Fulham today, watching who?

GodstoneEagle
09-11-2008, 11:10 PM
A 6 out of 10 player in a 5 out of 10 side.

A good crosser of the ball but considering he can do what the •••• he likes at boro doesn't score or assist enough, never good enough for a half-decent side.

See Scott Parker, Tal Ben Haim, Louis Saha, Steve Sidwell, Craig Bellamy etc for details.

SpikeyMatt
09-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Have never understood the animosity towards him.

He's a good winger, provides decent delivery and will get you 7 or 8 goals a season. Slightly short of the class to be able to start for England, but good enough for a squad place, no less because he has a good left foot.

<_tece_>
09-11-2008, 11:13 PM
I guess he's seen as a bit of a hangover from the McLaren reign?

Mind you, so is most of the current squad.

Personally, I rate him. Not enough for my fantasy team mind... ;)

etu
09-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Bullard and Owen I imagine would have been the two of most interest to him before the game. Someone with Johnsons's ability and willingness to work for the team would surely be an interesting fellow for Capello.

GodstoneEagle
09-11-2008, 11:15 PM
I wonder why Cappello was at Fulham today, watching who?
super jim and AJ I'd assume, Owen if he played but surprisingly i think Zamora, he has been top this season and plays the heskey role well which capello seems to like.

Diggers digs in?
09-11-2008, 11:19 PM
super jim and AJ I'd assume, Owen if he played but surprisingly i think Zamora, he has been top this season and plays the heskey role well which capello seems to like.

I think Id' rather have Zamora than Heskey :eek: and I do feel dirty.

Downing can't do the man. He has no pace. What player have you been looking at lanepe?

lanepe
09-11-2008, 11:28 PM
I think Id' rather have Zamora than Heskey :eek: and I do feel dirty.

Downing can't do the man. He has no pace. What player have you been looking at lanepe?

Mr Downing. Although I would like to stress I have only seen him playing football.

Diggers digs in?
09-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Mr Downing. Although I would like to stress I have only seen him playing football.

:) Il n'y a pas des beaucoup de pace.

eddieskyclad
10-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Downing is far better than most give him credit for. Sure he isn't having the best of seasons and he hasn't always played well for England but when he gets playing well he's awesome.

maestro
10-11-2008, 12:28 AM
he's good but not great, if he was rigth footed he wouldnt even be mentioned as an England player

lanepe
10-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Pah.

Meh.

Tttt.

Billyd
10-11-2008, 12:38 AM
...quality footballer.

Good pace.

Can beat players.

So there.

Agree but shame he cant do it for England. Would like to see him play for one of the top four, hopefully that would help him in his international carear.

Billyd
10-11-2008, 12:46 AM
See Scott Parker, Tal Ben Haim, Louis Saha, Steve Sidwell, Craig Bellamy etc for details.

very harsh on louis saha hes a class above those other players.

* Premier League
o Winner (2): 2006-07, 2007-08
o Runner-up (1): 2005-06
* FA Cup
o Runner-up (2): 2004-05, 2006-07
* Football League Cup
o Winner (1): 2005-06
* UEFA Champions League
o Winner (1): 2007-08

and a world cup runners up medal. his scoring record and been consistenltly pretty good for the amount of games hes played

Diggers digs in?
10-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Agree but shame he cant do it for England. Would like to see him play for one of the top four, hopefully that would help him in his international carear.

Wouldn't make any difference, Lampard is still ••••••• shit and a ••••wit, ••••• •••••• as well.

lanepe
10-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Wouldn't make any difference, Lampard is still ••••••• shit and a ••••wit, ••••• •••••• as well.

If there was a war Lampard would drive round and protect your wife whilst Jamie Oliver made sure your Mum/kids were ok.

They love you dude.

Diggers digs in?
10-11-2008, 04:09 AM
If there was a war Lampard would drive round and protect your wife whilst Jamie Oliver made sure your Mum/kids were ok.

They love you dude.

:D

Diggers digs in?
20-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Must say I thought Downing played very well tonight. Not convinced he's got enough quality for the world stage but he'd be useful against lesser opposition. And Germany in a friendly.

limited_edition
20-11-2008, 11:28 AM
He's a very good player for Boro, but seems to crap himself when wearing an England shirt. Hopefully, last night's performance has changed all that. Has shown for Boro that he's comfortable cutting inside and using his right peg for shots, too. Two footed players are always useful.

However, much as I like Joe Cole, it does tend to slow a move down when he has to check inside onto his right. Same goes for Ashley Young if played wide left like he does for Villa. Although he came on wide right last night and didn't look so good.

dannyboy1807
20-11-2008, 11:34 AM
he couldn't cross for toffee last night none went in the air at all

milky87
20-11-2008, 11:41 AM

As a striker the crosses that he put in last night are exactly what you want

kolinkins
20-11-2008, 11:42 AM
He did well, but I doubt his ability to do it regularly at that level. I worry about his lack of pace.

How many caps would he have if he was right footed?

smileysmith
20-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I cannot believe I am reading this posted by a Palace fan.

A player is a good player whoever he plays for.

kolinkins
20-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Playing for the top 4 means he plays/trains with better players, and playing the champions league means he gets exposure to playing again other international players.

Playing for the top 4 would make any player better.

dowing isnt close to being god enough though. He just doesnt have the pace.

UEAgle
20-11-2008, 12:14 PM

He was firing them in low deliberately. Gabby, Defoe and Bent all prefer receiving the ball on the deck.

He was excellent last night. My man of the match. Some great shots, good crossing, excellent covering for Bridge and two excellent assists.

richdeniro
20-11-2008, 12:41 PM
1 good free kick and 1 corner last night.

Other than that the crosses, corners and free kicks never beat the front post.

pallet
20-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Most players done well last night. However Carson and Bent should never be let near an England team again.

CarlosTheFinger
20-11-2008, 02:50 PM
...is bizarrely actually called Stewart Downing, in kind of the same way my friend at school spelt his first name 'Allen'?

...was named after the London street of the same name?

...has been a huge disappoitment to those of us who had him our fantasy football teams this season? (Thankfully I transferred his ass out of 'Thornton Heathens' before penalty miss no.2 :afro: )

...was on loan at Sunderland a few years ago but when he missed that penalty at the Stadium of Light, the nickname "Agent Downing" wasn't used once by the commentator. :( ?

Cheers Downyboys,

Carlos

lanepe
01-03-2009, 01:49 PM
The boy is on FIRE.

RDSdaEAGLE
01-03-2009, 02:53 PM
I get the impression that Downing just doesn't fit into England's system, rather than it being a case of him not actually being able to do it at that level.

His problem is that, whenever I saw him play for England, he seemed to play like Becks. It looked to me like he was asked to sit on the half-way line like Becks often does and to cross from deep.

Downing's real strength, as demonstrated yesterday, is his ability to get to the byline and knock the ball in. He doesn't have the skill or trickery of Ronaldo to get past players as frequently, but when he does get past them his productivity is fantastic.

Ironically, people are still calling for Aaron Lennon to be included in the set-up when he is a far less productive player than Downing. Lennon perpetually gets past the defender only to fluff up the cross - great skill, no end product.

I think he deserves another go, but only on the basis that he's given freedom to go forward and cross from the byline.

Tom's Old Man
01-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I get the impression that Downing just doesn't fit into England's system, rather than it being a case of him not actually being able to do it at that level.

His problem is that, whenever I saw him play for England, he seemed to play like Becks. It looked to me like he was asked to sit on the half-way line like Becks often does and to cross from deep.

Downing's real strength, as demonstrated yesterday, is his ability to get to the byline and knock the ball in. He doesn't have the skill or trickery of Ronaldo to get past players as frequently, but when he does get past them his productivity is fantastic.

Ironically, people are still calling for Aaron Lennon to be included in the set-up when he is a far less productive player than Downing. Lennon perpetually gets past the defender only to fluff up the cross - great skill, no end product.

I think he deserves another go, but only on the basis that he's given freedom to go forward and cross from the byline.

But what exactly is England's system? He is playing at least as well as any left-sided midfielder/left winger at the moment. It's just no-one has a clue as to what the England midfield should be with Lampard & Gerrard constantly showing themselves up when playing together. Downing looked outstanding on the box last night v Liverpool.