PDA

View Full Version : What you can have in sigs??

deanchilds
30-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Just had a warning from a mod about my sig and I dont see what the difference is between mine and movermans??

I dont mean to put you in the picture moverman just trying to use yours as an example.

He has his website so why cant I have mine??

Its not a biggie as I dont get any work via here im just a bit pissed of to see that it one rule for me and one rule for others.

deanchilds
30-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Just saw my thread got pulled as well. Clearly some sad gits on here got too much time on their hands to be reproting my posts when im only actually asking for advice.

Whats the difference in anyone else running a business asking for advice?

Clearly cos im not one of the gang I get warned over it.

Maidstoned Eagle
30-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Why not PM a mod and have thios conversation in private?

Neil the Eagle
30-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Dean, there has been some misunderstanding here - I'm looking at it as I did give you permission to put your link in your sig. Let me get back to you.

deanchilds
30-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Hey its fine Neil not overly bovved about weather the sig is allowed or not just the fact that I have been unfairly singled out.

Its been in there ever since you done my site and dont really understand why its got pulled now.

Fountainhead
30-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Just saw my thread got pulled as well. Clearly some sad gits on here got too much time on their hands to be reproting my posts when im only actually asking for advice.

Whats the difference in anyone else running a business asking for advice?

Clearly cos im not one of the gang I get warned over it.

A Mod posted on that thread so more likely to have been pulled because they saw it themselves than because it was reported by someone else.

Neil the Eagle
30-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Bear with us, Dean.

Your thread was regarded as a bit too close to 'advertising' as it developed to be quite specific to your business. It is a grey area which we will clarify.

I'll get back to you shortly.

Les Butler
30-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Dean I saw your thread last night mate and it's the first time I have seen it and must admit it was way over the top,it was a bloody billboard LOL !

You know that ;)

No, no one reported it (I did not pull it as I forgot all about it but did intend to bring it up) but you do have your company Logo as your Avatar and just a small link would have been ok I guess,anyways it will be sorted.

Oh and now you have brought it up we are looking at all sigs with advertising in now, we have not singled you out mate.

Neil the Eagle
30-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Also Dean, a few mods, myself included, have avatars and sigs switched off, which hasn't helped in picking it up before now.

deanchilds
30-11-2008, 06:36 PM
I did put in the post that I was NOT plugging my business. I dont see how that thread was any different to the thread I started about yell.com a few weeks back.

Neil, no bother mate! It's cool anyway cos I only get bugged by pm for quotes from people who only acutally seem to be time wasters anyway.

Ill remove the avatar as well as dont really like getting warnings when I CLEARLY aint the only one.

If im the only person that has been warned so far then I would say that this would look like me being singled out and people thinking shit we better tar everyone with the same brush so it dont look like were just picking on Dean.

At the end of the day I dont own the BBS so have to abide by the rules at the end of the day which aint very clear as ive been doing this for the past year or so.

It needs to be clearer as am I not allowed to refer to what I do for a living as that may in your books be against the rules?

This is in no way meant to come across in a rude or angry manner Neil.

As you know I have ask questions to you about this before and wouldnt want to get you in shit.

kolinkins
30-11-2008, 06:40 PM
IMHO the thread was not advertising, though i can see why the line was blurry.

If someone without a business started the same thread, would it be an issue?

James
30-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I was the one who removed the Sig File and sent the warning. I am sorry that you were singled out, but as has already been pointed out, your sig file was hardly discreet!

The Rules provide as follows:

Spamming, advertising and promotion of services and goods is strictly forbidden unless written consent is obtained by a Moderator or Administrator....

This includes anything in a Sig File.

I accept that there is some inconsistency in applying the Rules, so as Neil has indicated the Moderators are trying to sort out some policy which isn't heavy handed - but which will keep the BBS free from blatant spamming etc. Hopefully we will sort this out quickly.

deanchilds
30-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Legal Imbecile (Semi-Retired) Does this not mean you are in the legal game but still work from time to time?

Les Butler
30-11-2008, 09:08 PM
IMHO the thread was not advertising, though i can see why the line was blurry.

If someone without a business started the same thread, would it be an issue?

Hmmmmm.....

James
30-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Legal Imbecile (Semi-Retired) Does this not mean you are in the legal game but still work from time to time?It means that I have taken (early) retirement from full time work as a Solicitor. However I have a couple of non-exec directorships which keep me busy for one or two days each month.

jlmatthews
30-11-2008, 09:46 PM
However I have a couple of non-exec directorships which keep me busy for one or two days each month.

I read that as dictatorships the first time through :D

nathe
01-12-2008, 04:09 AM
I read that as dictatorships the first time through :D

Well he is close friends with Uncle Ron

Dom the Eagle
01-12-2008, 05:40 AM
James is close friends with Uncle Ron.

nathe
01-12-2008, 05:43 AM
Yes. Well James thinks they are friends but Uncle Ron just tolerates him ;)

James
02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Bear with us, Dean.

Your thread was regarded as a bit too close to 'advertising' as it developed to be quite specific to your business. It is a grey area which we will clarify.

I'll get back to you shortly.
We are nearly there. Hopefully we will be able to post full guidance later today.

Tony Montana
02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Nearly where exactly? Is it really that important? Can he advertise his business? YES OR NO. To me this stinks of unimportant people trying to make themselves look important by delaying a relatively unimportant decision.

James
02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Nearly where exactly? Is it really that important? Can he advertise his business? YES OR NO. To me this stinks of unimportant people trying to make themselves look important by delaying a relatively unimportant decision.
Of course it is.

You will still have to wait a while, until we have settled the matter.

Tony Montana
02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Of course it is.

You will still have to wait a while, until we have settled the matter.

Can hardly contain myself. Please E-mail or PM me the outcome incase i miss this landmark case of advertising on a website.

deanchilds
02-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I couldnt give a fuk to be honest as long as Neil dont get the blame then thats ok!

James
02-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Why on earth should Neil be blamed for anything?

At the risk of irritating Tony M further, I would just add that we will have a final ruling on this important matter by 20:00 hours. Stand By.

(Is that pompous enough?)

deanchilds
02-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Why on earth should Neil be blamed for anything?

At the risk of irritating Tony M further, I would just add that we will have a final ruling on this important matter by 20:00 hours. Stand By.

(Is that pompous enough?)

Make it 19:48m:53 and I think he will be ok! :p