PDA

View Full Version : Trying to locate selhurst park on an old map

stupalace
31-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Can someone pinpoint selhurst park on this map please , I think its the brickfield just above the writing new thornton heath ( as it used to be a brickfield )

It wont let me post the map on here but heres a link

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspx

balls the link , takes you straight to the home page!!

stupalace
31-12-2008, 05:01 PM
type in thornton heath in the search section , if anyone is able to post a link that gets round the home page issue that would be great

ed winchester
02-01-2009, 03:41 AM
I typed in 'South Norwood'. It gave three options - South Norwood - Kent, SN Surrey - SN London.

Anyway, zooming in on South Norwood London - All you can see along Whitehorse Lane is one massive 'brickfield'.

More interestingly, all you can see on the top half of Holmesdale Road, which in modern terms would be the other side of Holmesdale Road from the current ground between Park Road and South Norwood Hill - is 'Selhurst Park' !

ed winchester
02-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Oh, BTW - if you want a landmark to try and calculate where everything is in relation to today - try looking for the 'Clifton Arms -PH' which is clearly marked in the bottom corner of the 'Brickfields' !

cad
02-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Yes, I've seen these maps before. As you say, the current Selhurst Park was a former brickfield which is clearly marked and bordered by Holmesdale Road. And, as you say, the Clifton Arms is clearly marked.

Also, the original "Selhurst Park" from which the ground took its name is also marked to the NE of the junction of Holmesdale Road and Park Road.

cad
02-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Also, The Clifton appears to be the only local pub marked on the map. I'm sure others, some probably now long gone, also existed at the time but have not been included for some reason.

telodaja
03-01-2009, 05:21 AM
I agree with Cad. The Brickfield you are looking at is to the west of a
railway line. The Railway is to West of Selhurst Park. You need to look further East towards the area called Selhurst Park. You can clearly see Park Road,Holmesdale Road & Whitehorse Lane. There is a Brickfield marked BM 213.4, which I believe is almost certainly the position of Selhurst. Great map site by the way, I have been trying to find a site like this for ages.

ian king
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Attached is an extract from a 1911 Map. Clifton Road, Park Road and Holmesdale Road clearly marked but not "The Clifton Arms". The
area is shown unused (apart from a small building ) with "Brick Works" on the opposite of Whitehorse Lane.

Coulsdon Eagle
03-01-2009, 11:09 PM
the Clifton is marked on there, as P.H

apple_rain
04-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Looking at that map has answered a question, my house was built before 1911.

ed winchester
04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/9522/selhurst1800sv7.jpg

Here's a slightly older map of the area from circa 1800. You will note that the allotments and what is now 'Grangewood Park' on the other side of Whitehorse Lane to the current day Selhurst Park are marked as 'Brick Close' and 'White Horse Wood'.

It's interesting to note that where the current ground is probably located in the 'Lower Hilley Field'.

Perhaps we could romantically rename Selhurst Park 'The St John's Stadium' - after the two fields (Little St John's and Great St John's) which are probably located where the current car parking is outside SP!

It makes you wonder how old some of the Ambulance people at SP really are!

ed winchester
04-01-2009, 08:07 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2647/sp1800xu9.jpg

Granada allover
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Great thread - fascinating stuff. Have appreciated all contributions. Are there any pics of Selhurst Park (or more accurately the old brickworks) before the football ground was built?

ian king
04-01-2009, 10:28 PM
There are two pictures in the 1968/69 Supporters Handbook on pages 30 & 32both said to be Selhurst Park in 1901. One shows brickworkers (and their families?) on a grassy mound, the second shows a group of workers standing by a trolley of bricks next to a shed.

JOHN1509
05-01-2009, 04:39 PM