PDA

View Full Version : Does a ticket have to be on the windscreen..

MicksSis
14-01-2009, 09:13 AM
..of the car, for a fine if parked on a yellow line?
I realise that if a warden is writing out the ticket and you drive off it still would be valid.
But, what if a car is parked on a yellow line (for just 2 minutes at the very most), Driver comes back to see 2 wardens sitting in their own parked car, behind car already parked on yellow line - and are just grinning at driver of the parked car as they get back into their car.

No ticket was on the windscreen - so should driver assume wardens were just 'being nice' or should driver assume fine is in the post?

Maz
14-01-2009, 09:16 AM
The ticket has to be 'issued' to the driver and/or his car to be valid.

Riccardo
14-01-2009, 09:24 AM

I was told by someone that came in my local Londis (after 20 seconds of being in the shop) that the car outside had a warden next to it, so I rushed out and argued I'd only been there 2 seconds then said I'd move it. So drove off. He looked annoyed, but no ticket issued.

I asked around and people said the law has changed so you can still get a fine ?? :confused: Haven't got ticket...and hope I don't.

MicksSis
14-01-2009, 09:32 AM

That is what I thought. Do wardens also have to take photos as well - as proof that the ticket was issued?

WIZARD
14-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Anyone know what happens if the car is issued with a parking ticket but they have written the wrong registration on it (ie the've written a J instead of a U)!!

Missus got one this morning just wondering if we can ignore it.

Any wisdom on this subject welcome.

Cheers

MicksSis
14-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Anyone know what happens if the car is issued with a parking ticket but they have written the wrong registration on it (ie the've written a J instead of a U)!!

Cheers

Isn't that why they take photographs - so they have the proof?

This happened to me a few years ago - they put the incorrect colour of the car on the ticket, but a photograph proved it was mine. :D

trufan
14-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Cheers

One of these idiot wardens ruined my night after we beat someone (Cheltenham??) by a hatful in a Cup game a few years back. Returned to car to find ticket on windscreen - apparently because I'd parked marginally too close to a corner. Absolute rubbish, in fact . . . but justice was done when I got home and examined the ticket properly. The illiterate fool had entered my registration number incorrectly - and I never heard another word about it.

Presumably, some poor schmuck with the "other" reg plate got my ticket instead. But I'd like to think they were able to contest it successfully - on the grounds they were nowhere near Selhurst that night. :D Hope you're similarly fortunate, Wizard.

WIZARD
14-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Isn't that why they take photographs - so they have the proof?

This happened to me a few years ago - they put the incorrect colour of the car on the ticket, but a photograph proved it was mine. :D

Dam and blast - looks like I'm 50 poorer than I was already!!!

WIZARD
14-01-2009, 09:53 AM
One of these idiot wardens ruined my night after we beat someone (Cheltenham??) by a hatful in a Cup game a few years back. Returned to car to find ticket on windscreen - apparently because I'd parked marginally too close to a corner. Absolute rubbish, in fact . . . but justice was done when I got home and examined the ticket properly. The illiterate fool had entered my registration number incorrectly - and I never heard another word about it.

Presumably, some poor schmuck with the "other" reg plate got my ticket instead. But I'd like to think they were able to contest it successfully - on the grounds they were nowhere near Selhurst that night. :D Hope you're similarly fortunate, Wizard.

Maybe there is still hope!!!

Maz
14-01-2009, 10:01 AM

CheersIf the registration is wrong then the ticket is not legal.

Lambeth Palace
14-01-2009, 10:07 AM
..of the car, for a fine if parked on a yellow line?
I realise that if a warden is writing out the ticket and you drive off it still would be valid.
But, what if a car is parked on a yellow line (for just 2 minutes at the very most), Driver comes back to see 2 wardens sitting in their own parked car, behind car already parked on yellow line - and are just grinning at driver of the parked car as they get back into their car.

No ticket was on the windscreen - so should driver assume wardens were just 'being nice' or should driver assume fine is in the post?

I once received a PCN from a ticket that wasn't issued correctly. (I saw the wardens approaching and drove off, they must have made a note of the registration.) The PCN was rescinded on first appeal so, they may chance their arm and issue a PCN but it's unlikely to hold up.

Princess
14-01-2009, 10:21 AM
It's always worth an appeal. I had 2 tickets last year. I won one appeal and lost the other. I believe they always take pictures these days.

sirdougie
14-01-2009, 11:04 AM
It's always worth an appeal. I had 2 tickets last year. I won one appeal and lost the other. I believe they always take pictures these days.

All the wardens in Durham have digital cameras - and they seem to take about ten photos of each car as well. It's like watching David Bailey in action when someone gets a ticket!

Dingle
14-01-2009, 11:14 AM
My Dad used to work for the council parking department and he said the ticket has to be handed to the driver or put under the wiper of the car for it to be valid. So if a ticket is being written out by the warden, DRIVE OFF before he has the chance to hand it to you/attach it to the car and you'll not be fined!!!

Maz
14-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Of course you risk committing a far more serious offence if in doing that you impede the warden in the commission of his duties.

And then to court you go whether you like it or not.

Stavros 69
14-01-2009, 11:28 AM
It's Lime and Shovel time again.

Gark Moldberg
14-01-2009, 11:29 AM
They have to take a picture to prove that the car was incorrectly parked. You do not have to have anything attached to the vehicle.

I was recently 'got' by an enforcement camera as I stopped on a yellow line to get cash out of a machine.

swissroll
14-01-2009, 11:39 AM
My Dad used to work for the council parking department and he said the ticket has to be handed to the driver or put under the wiper of the car for it to be valid. So if a ticket is being written out by the warden, DRIVE OFF before he has the chance to hand it to you/attach it to the car and you'll not be fined!!!

The problem is that about a month later you get a notice through asking for payment and it says something like 'FTW' meaning fixed to windscreen and you have to win the appeal by claiming the warden is a liar. Happened to me and I won buy only because the warden had messed something else up on the ticket.

Also the rule about tickets being handed to driver or fixed to car, it depends on who issued it. There are different types of wardens and some have greater powers.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
14-01-2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.which.co.uk/advice/how-to-appeal-a-parking-ticket/parking-tickets-your-rights/index.jsp

"PCN parking tickets are usually issued by being fixed to the windscreen of the car concerned or handed to the person who appears to be in charge of it. These parking tickets can also be issued by post in places where cameras catch cars breaking the parking rules or when a civil enforcement officer is prevented by a motorist from issuing the parking ticket at the scene, either by driving away or using abusive behaviour."

I should think you are OK. It would only be if they were in the process of photographing and ticketing your car as you drove off that you would be done. Or if you are on camera anyway.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
14-01-2009, 02:07 PM
They have to take a picture to prove that the car was incorrectly parked. You do not have to have anything attached to the vehicle.

I was recently 'got' by an enforcement camera as I stopped on a yellow line to get cash out of a machine. Swan and Sugarloaf? There's a camera trained on the two cash points down the road beside the Swan & Sugarloaf pub in South Croydon. All day every day they harvest the numberplates of people stopping to use the machines... there was a rumour that it was the most profitable in the country ??!!

Riccardo
14-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I failed to spot a few years back the camera up at Crystal Palace opposite the Post Office. I shouldn't have parked right outside the post office, so it was fair enough...I'd just driven around the triangle 4 times, I got bored.

kolinkins
14-01-2009, 02:16 PM
I've found wardens outside London to be far more reasonable, and feel for them being tarred with the same brush the London ones get painted with.

In Oxford, Brum and Manchester, I have found them all to be more open to talking to you, asking you how long you are going to be etc before they think about giving you a ticket. the way it should be.

west country boy
14-01-2009, 02:19 PM
A "lawyer" advocating flouting the laws of the land? This country.

Riccardo
14-01-2009, 02:22 PM
A "lawyer" advocating flouting the laws of the land? This country.

I think you are turning into Paul Daniels. I think you might move abroad if Labour ever won the general election.

tasty_snacks
14-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Does a ticket have to be stuck to the window of the car, for a fine if parked on a yellow line?

firstly, there is a difference between traffic wardens (criminalised) and parking attendants (decriminalised). the former can issue a PCN by post, whereas the latter cannot. assuming they were attendants, as i can't think of any local borough that still has the old 'traffic warden' system, the ticket has to be fixed to the window, or handed to the person deemed to be responsible for the car. unless you physically (of your person, rather than physical removal of the vehicle) prevented them from issuing it, they cannot legally issue the PCN by post. however, just to confuse the issue, PCNs can be issued by post if you are caught by a fixed camera that's in place for that very purpose. given that they were there in person, in their car, makes this unlikely.

the example with the number plate is also an invalid PCN, for which you cannot be prosecuted. if the lettering is incorrect on the actual ticket, they cannot pursue. a photo always compliments their case as opposed to makes it. simply, the PCN was not issued for your vehicle. and they will have no record of doing so (to the correct number plate). some poor sod in cornwall with the actual number plate recorded on the PCN will no doubt get a letter in the next few weeks....

take it from somebody with an extremely good record of fighting and winning these things - they almost always foul up. the mistakes both attendants and boroughs make are unbelieveable, as thankfully in their haste for profit they often incorrectly apply the minor, but binding, details of the road traffic act. :D

make an informal appeal, quickly, and expect a rejection. the rejection letter may well ignore your evidence, or even cite incorrect law. be confident and follow the appeal process through.

CPFC Guy
14-01-2009, 03:48 PM
As has been stated, I believe that the ticket has to be given to the driver or fixed to the car (normally windscreen). http://www.ukparkingticket.co.uk/defences.html
Different rules apply to cctv cameras used for parking enforcement.
If they put the wrong reg on the ticket but have taken the digital photo, you may get away with it although the "slip rules" may apply which allow for minor typographical errors to be overlooked.

anna matronic
14-01-2009, 04:52 PM
I've found wardens outside London to be far more reasonable, and feel for them being tarred with the same brush the London ones get painted with.

In Oxford, Brum and Manchester, I have found them all to be more open to talking to you, asking you how long you are going to be etc before they think about giving you a ticket. the way it should be.

Why should it be that way? Parking restrictions are in place for a reason, I know traffic wardens can be utter arseholes but they do have a job to do and shouldn't have to engage in conversation as to how long someone will be when they are parked on a red route for example.