PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions: pc powering down whilst playing COD:WaW

FraserH
19-02-2009, 02:09 PM
i recently installed a "cough" copy of cod:waw to play online. works well and my pc (which was built by me) is well within minimum system requirements.

after about an hour or so of playing my pc randomly turns it self off like the power supply has been pulled out. i turn the pc back on and it gets half way through loaidng up windows and shuts down. I then leave it for say 10 mins and then my pc turns on normally after it goes to the screen saying would i like to start in safe mode or last knwn good confiuration.

i have checked cpu temp and its not thats over heating and if it was the gfx card i think i would get an error message. so not sure what is happening but something must be overheating whilst playing the game.

have tried playing cod 4 and its doesn't do it on that game or when im using cpu and ram intensive music production programs.

could it be mobo and/or a driver issue? could that force a shut down?

Vendy
19-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I'd be surprised if COD doesn't comunicate with home when online.... at a guess a lot of users using the same auth code wouldn't help. but then again I am paranoid.

RickyB
19-02-2009, 02:26 PM
i recently installed a "cough" copy of cod:waw to play online. works well and my pc (which was built by me) is well within minimum system requirements.

after about an hour or so of playing my pc randomly turns it self off like the power supply has been pulled out. i turn the pc back on and it gets half way through loaidng up windows and shuts down. I then leave it for say 10 mins and then my pc turns on normally after it goes to the screen saying would i like to start in safe mode or last knwn good confiuration.

i have checked cpu temp and its not thats over heating and if it was the gfx card i think i would get an error message. so not sure what is happening but something must be overheating whilst playing the game.

have tried playing cod 4 and its doesn't do it on that game or when im using cpu and ram intensive music production programs.

could it be mobo and/or a driver issue? could that force a shut down?I had this problem. What GFX card do you have and what power supply do you got?

FraserH
19-02-2009, 02:40 PM
gfx card is Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850

power supply is generic 750 W i think of the top of my head.

FraserH
19-02-2009, 02:41 PM
I'd be surprised if COD doesn't comunicate with home when online.... at a guess a lot of users using the same auth code wouldn't help. but then again I am paranoid.
its not that

Brumie Allan
19-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Pretty sure it's a graphics card problem

FraserH
19-02-2009, 04:18 PM
will try updating drivers but not sure what else it could be if it's the graphics card

paf
19-02-2009, 04:21 PM
memory timing errors or graphics drivers I suspect, or even CPU overheat.

have you played any otehr games that would put the system under stress?

FraserH
20-02-2009, 02:13 PM
updated drivers and it was still doing it.

checked my cpu temp straight after and was running at 65c! i think the fan is full of shite but for some reason i now cant get the fan off, i unclipped the silver clips but it wont pull off. its an amd 6400+ dual core and the fan came with it, its an AM2 socket and i think the fan has got wedged in to the socket on the mobo. will take everything to bits when i get a chnace on sunday and clean and rebuild.

it must be the cpu overheating so just need to et the fan off.

FraserH
20-02-2009, 02:14 PM
oh yeah I have tried it with COD4 and the runs fine and hasnt closed down yet. pc's can be so annoying sometimes!