PDA

View Full Version : virgin broadband

saul1664
13-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Is it any good? Have an offer 5 a month for first three, then 12 for rest of 12 month contract, presume it will be 20 after that.

James Melody
13-03-2009, 03:15 PM
It is shit

paf
13-03-2009, 03:15 PM
they offer a ferrari with a lada engine.

saul1664
13-03-2009, 03:33 PM
It is shit

in what way? up to 10MB plus no download limits?

KingsleY
13-03-2009, 04:23 PM
It is shit

I don't agree.

Near enough always top speed, haven't had a dropout for as long as I can remember.

Beat the hell out of ADSL if your not near an exchange

Dave
13-03-2009, 05:03 PM
the technology isn't the problem, the company is.

James Melody
13-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Virgin is the company formerly known as NTL. Known for having the worst customer services of any ISP in the UK. This hasn't changed.

Oh, they also traffic shape.

KingsleY
13-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Virgin is the company formerly known as NTL. Known for having the worst customer services of any ISP in the UK. This hasn't changed.

Oh, they also traffic shape.

Yep customer service is most likely bollocks, but when you don't have to phone them, that doesn't matter ;)

jookbeard
13-03-2009, 05:36 PM
been on the XL now for nearly 2 years here. previously on Telewest, blah,blah,blah quick call on the 0845 number, (not the Indain call center) and a very friendly Yorkshire lassie, told them I'm being wooed by Sky and got a nice little 22/month discount plus faster B/B which is nice

Barnstormer
13-03-2009, 05:57 PM
It is shit

Well I have had Virgin broadband for 12 years and have had no problems whatsover.

I had to down load a large programme from work a couple of weeks ago
and the administrator said ' wow your broadbands good because of the speed it down loaded.

I understand because the the delivery is fibre optic the speed is more consistent.

Also the customer service Virgin give is excellent. Since Virgin took over the waiting time to get through is about 5 minutes rather than the 40 minutes when it was NTL. The call to customer services is free if you have a virgin phone line. it is a bit pot luck sometimes you get India which is the overflow service but normally I get Swansea.

#mp3_zone
13-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Been with them for years and its great for me, they do limit between 5pm and 9pm but i still manage to run up over 100gb up/down every month with no problems, always on and very reliable.

Got 10mb net, xl tv package and evening and weekend call package for 36.00 a month.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7328/screen02r.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen02r.jpg)

Adlerhorst
13-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Took me ages to get the bloody thing to recognise my Mac.

But once we did it has been faultless - unlike their phones.

drizzt
13-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Been with them for nearly two years now without so much as a glitch.

paf
13-03-2009, 07:46 PM
they do limit between 5pm and 9pm

FAIL

James Melody
13-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Be is the only broadband provider worth considering

mrsilly
13-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Be is the only broadband provider worth considering

Although they send you letters when someone torrents without peerguard to tell you you've been naughty.

Sussex Eagle
13-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I guess we've got a shite package, but they choke the shit out of us if we download 300mb(!!) between 4 and 12 pm. Awful.

Ridcully
13-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Fast reliable service if you avoid/can put up with the traffic shaping.

Very cheap too, you can't beat their package prices.

#mp3_zone
14-03-2009, 08:36 AM
FAIL

A minor failing and not something that affects me as i torrent during the day whilst at work or while i sleep :cool:, i surf during those hours limited.

Brett
16-03-2009, 08:35 AM
I download one TV episode from iTunes and they throttle my bandwidth at any time of the day.

They are dead to me.

ffsear
16-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I got the 20mb line. No problems at all, very fast downloads and no problems gaming online. Best ISP service I have ever had.

Mr Statto
16-03-2009, 02:27 PM
A massively better broadband experience than I used to have with BT ADSL at our old flat. I'm about 2 miles from the exchange, and the best BT could provide me with is 0.5Mbps (but you can guarantee I wouldn't pay any less then someone getting 8Mbps) - I get 10Mbps from Virgin, and it's almost always available at that speed as well. The cost isn't an issue because the company pays for it, and poor customer service isn't really an issue either, because I never have to phone them. I can count the number of times the signal has disappeared in the last 4 years on one hand, and even then it's always come back pretty fast.

However, while downloading a 4GB torrent last week my speed did suddenly disappear - I guess I was throttled, but it was the first time ever so I can't really complain.

scro
16-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I have had virgin for a year now and had very little trouble. The customer service was very good if anything. The support when you have fault however is annoying. Indian based by the sound of it and the support staff are not only arrogant and patronising but also clueless.

From saturday until about 2 hours ago I was getting no upload available but that would be about the only issue i have ever had.

cpfcmazz
30-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Was upgraded for free to the 20mb service today as we were "loyal customers"

Latvian Eagle
31-05-2009, 03:00 AM
The connection is fine.

My major gripe.. They sent us a wireless router but not the disc to set it up! Hardly very helpful! :confused:

Dave
31-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Um - why would a router need a disk....

Latvian Eagle
31-05-2009, 09:15 AM
In the instructions is says to set up the wireless connection you need to install the disc.

I haven't been supplied with a disc!

Adlerhorst
31-05-2009, 09:55 AM
In the instructions is says to set up the wireless connection you need to install the disc.

I haven't been supplied with a disc!In my experience the disk won't work anyway and you have to do it yourself.

Even I managed it.

Latvian Eagle
31-05-2009, 03:33 PM
How did you do it? It's annoing have to lay on the floor to use the laptop at the morning! :)

17-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Virgin BB is great. No need for a telephone line is a bonus. I have the 10mb service and have no problems at all. Yes they will traffic shape you downloading in peak hours, but so what? just download at other times like everyone else :)

In 3 years usage, i can only remember one day (4 hour period) where the service was unavailable) much better than any BT ADSL based (hence compulsory phone line service) i have used.

James Melody
18-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Virgin BB is great. No need for a telephone line is a bonus. I have the 10mb service and have no problems at all. Yes they will traffic shape you downloading in peak hours, but so what? just download at other times like everyone else :)

No, like everyone else with Virgin Crap. I can download 24/7 without anyone stopping me.

I have head of people on Virgin unable to use BBC Iplayer during peak hours as it takes them past their peak cap.

Virgin sucks balls.

BaldEagle96
18-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Just installed Virgin BB as was only getting .25 with BT due to the distance we are from the exchange and as they told me noone else would be able to provide faster BB to us using the phone line. Only had Virgin for an hour or so now but well impressed with the speed pages load now. Lads are more than happy with their Xboxs etc and I can even get BBC iplayer to work now which - it wouldn't even connect to it before with BT. Needless to say I was paying BT the same as people getting excellent speeds which really pissed me off.

Went for the 20mb option with Virgin and although it is costing me almost double I have to say it will be well worth it as long as the speed remains good.

RickyB
18-06-2009, 03:55 PM
They are crap.

We've been without broadband at home for three weeks now after three aborted attempts to send us out a new cable modem.

RickyB
18-06-2009, 03:56 PM
No, like everyone else with Virgin Crap. I can download 24/7 without anyone stopping me.

I have head of people on Virgin unable to use BBC Iplayer during peak hours as it takes them past their peak cap.

Virgin sucks balls.that's if you can keep the bastard from choking on it's 'phat' pipe.

It stutters and buffers and makes a real shit go of it, even on lo-fi iPlayer.

avoid.

BaldEagle96
18-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Just did a speed test and the 256 kbps I managed with BT has changed to 17656 with Virgin. :p

RickyB
18-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Well, that's better - better hope your cable modem doesn't break tho! :D

Ridcully
18-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Virgin sucks balls.

Really? Never happened to me, even when the capped, iPlayer still works fine.

BaldEagle96
18-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Well, that's better - better hope your cable modem doesn't break tho! :D

Sure is. I expect all of them can be poor at times and one is just unlucky if it happens to you. I was offline for 2 months once with Orange (ex freeserve) and they kept blaming BT for the line. Cancelled them and moved to BT and it all worked immediately...

James Melody
18-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Really? Never happened to me, even when the capped, iPlayer still works fine.

This is streaming HD content over iplayer.

Ridcully
18-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Must be on the cheapest tariff then, if you get L, ie. 20Mbps you are capped at 5Mbps. The highest BBC stream is 3.2Mbps so no problem.

Yes traffic shaping isn't nice but its hardly awful at 5Mbps, ie. the quality of most people ADSL Max service anyway.

Even if you are on the lowest service, 10Mbps you get a capped throughput of 2.5Mbps, easily enough for the standard stream at the highest bitrate they do.

Brett
18-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Best I've ever got is 9.1mb on a 20mb line. And that was one crazy early hours of the morning shift when I was glued to Wikipedia.

BaldEagle96
19-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Just did another check and got 19,254 kbps which I guess is 19.2 mbps? Everyone in this house is loving Virgin (fibre optic) over what we have had via various providers (telephone line) over the years,

Malakite
08-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm absolutely going over to Virgin no question about it. The only trouble I have about the TV, is that at the moment, their TV HD is pony. They don't have much at all in the way of HD channels, and they only have Sky Sports News, so the sports is very limited, especially when it comes to HD sports!

adrenalin john
08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
the actual service when working is OK for domestic use and quite reliable.

I hate the company though, and the faux friendly approach. I actually want to shoot the ******* woman on their answering service, actually I don't; I just want to rip out her voice box and tell her to now try and smile through that.

I am a customer, not a friend. Your are a big monolithic brand driven company who wants my money; just because Richard Branson has a goatee and is an alledged sex pest doesn not mean you are nice.

I actually had a note signed in faux real handrwiting signed off:

love Virgin Media Team x

love and ******* kisses, what you want go out on a date and then have a night of unbridled passion. If I meet someone from Virgin media, can I immediately bend them over the table and rip one up their shitter on the basis they have clearly and in writing come on to me?

Get outta here, you want my money I want a good service can we just keep to that - you ain't my friends even if I oft fly in your metal tubes and you sell me broadband.

Rant over

Malakite
08-07-2009, 09:51 AM
:eek:

Chillo
08-07-2009, 10:06 AM
and breathe out :)

BaldEagle96
08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm absolutely going over to Virgin no question about it. The only trouble I have about the TV, is that at the moment, their TV HD is pony. They don't have much at all in the way of HD channels, and they only have Sky Sports News, so the sports is very limited, especially when it comes to HD sports!

We just went with the Broadband option as we wanted to keep Sky and you need a BT line for that. It was cheaper to take out a phone line with Virgin though (free weekend calls to landlines only) than to take out just Broadband, which is what we did. We don't however keep a phone plugged into their line as their calls are more expensive than BT.

Malakite
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
We just went with the Broadband option as we wanted to keep Sky and you need a BT line for that. It was cheaper to take out a phone line with Virgin though (free weekend calls to landlines only) than to take out just Broadband, which is what we did. We don't however keep a phone plugged into their line as their calls are more expensive than BT.

Ahhh right but why do you need a BT line for Sky? Surely so long as Sky is plugged into a phone line we are fine?

BaldEagle96
08-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Ahhh right but why do you need a BT line for Sky? Surely so long as Sky is plugged into a phone line we are fine?

I think it may be because Virgin use Fibre Optic and Sky use normal telephone lines and the Sky signal needs the BT version of a phone line rather than the Virgin one.

Before making my decision I did talk to both Sky and Virgin and they both said I would not be able to get Sky HD if I cancelled my BT line.

Malakite
08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Hmmm interesting. HOWEVER I know there was a problem years ago with sky connecting via my phone line and a special note was put on their system about my sky box not being connected to the phone line so I think I should be ok?? It's a bit of a worry though!! Still it's worth having the Virgin line as its the same cost in the bundle than without it!

I'm actually tempted with the 50Mb but I know I don't really need it hehe

Malakite
08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
The countdown starts, it will be installed on Wed next week :)

BaldEagle96
08-07-2009, 11:34 AM
The two men who did my installation were great. They had come up from Swansea and spent the whole week in the area doing installations. They recognised the house opposite as well as they had put their Virgin connections in earlier in the year as well.