PDA

View Full Version : Why do fans south of the river support north london clubs?

racehorse-80s
15-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I am amazed by the amount of fans you see traveling through Victoria/london bridge stations to watch Spurs and Arsenal when there are teams like palace /charlton /millwall to support in south london.
Ok, a few may of moved or have family connections to teams north of the river but the numbers are to large to be explained away by these anomalies.
They travel from as far south as brighton :eek:
You hardly ever see fans coming from north of the river to support clubs south of the river.
If fans supported their local clubs more it would make for a more competitive football pyramid system IMO

IanH
15-05-2009, 10:28 AM
I am amazed by the amount of fans you see traveling through Victoria/london bridge stations to watch Spurs and Arsenal when there are teams like palace /charlton /millwall to support in south london.
Ok, a few may of moved or have family connections to teams north of the river but the numbers are to large to be explained away by these anomalies.
They travel from as far south as brighton :eek:
You hardly ever see fans coming from north of the river to support clubs south of the river.
If fans supported their local clubs more it would make for a more competitive football pyramid system IMO

I think the technical term for it is "gloryhunting"

Pub Idol
15-05-2009, 10:29 AM

I thought it was "*****"

DaveTuttles
15-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Palace, Millwall, Charlton - you can hardly blame them

racehorse-80s
15-05-2009, 10:31 AM

Spurs are sh*t though.

hoopsmccan
15-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Spurs are sh*t though.

Not to their fans.

It is just gloryhunting, Racers. Nothing more.

The same reason you have Manure fans in Norfolk, Devon, London, Scotland, Malta, etc...

waddoneagle
15-05-2009, 10:39 AM
They are glory hunting wankers:p

Nelson Muntz
15-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Medway is a Liverpool stronghold. :rolleyes:

I doubt if any of them have ever been anywhere near the place, yet you see loads of people old enough and stupid enough to know better. I asked a few that I vaguely know if they'd ever been to Anfield. One said 'Yeah, on the Stadium tour'

Will S
15-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I live in Highbury and am a Palace fan. I think the technical term for it is 'stupidity'.

Celestial Empire
15-05-2009, 10:43 AM
It's the power of Sky, innit.

racehorse-80s
15-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Medway is a Liverpool stronghold. :rolleyes:

I doubt if any of them have ever been anywhere near the place, yet you see loads of people old enough and stupid enough to know better. I asked a few that I vaguely know if they'd ever been to Anfield. One said' Yeah, on the Stadium tour'

They are just armchair fans who would never go to any live games, The fans i see going through victoria and london bridge are actually going to games at Spurs and Arsenal :eek:
I hope Arsenal continue to drop down the league :lux:

Scroatey
15-05-2009, 10:46 AM
When I was at school in Orpington everybody else supported Leeds or Liverpool.

In my lifetime Palace have never had the successes enjoyed by either team, but fortunately not had the failures of Leeds either. All I need now is for Liverpool to implode and I will be the gloatiest football fan out of all my primary school chums :D

Seba
15-05-2009, 10:47 AM

Agreed, it's killed football.

racehorse-80s
15-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Empire

Agreed, it's killed football.

Would love to see Sky go bust but it ain't going to happen while the sheep continue to glory hunt:(

CPFC_DAVE77
15-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Empire

Would love to see Sky go bust but it ain't going to happen while the sheep continue to glory hunt:(

The sheep gloryhunt because of sky, its a vicious reproductive cycle.

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
15-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Indeed. Any fan wants to see their team on the tele if they cant go to matches, or even if they can. Plus a lot of people want a team with success to support.

I think fans should support their local club, it shows better devotion as the club picked you as opposed to you picking the club.

More emotion, both good and bad when you're club isnt winning everything and has all the money In my opinion.

Selhurst Celtic
15-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's mostly to do with them being c**ts.

CPFC Guy
15-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Indeed, kids start growing up watching football on tv these days. And who gets the most games on tv? The "big four". Once a kid (who doesn't know better) starts wanting Arsenal to win all these games that are shown on tv, their loyalty is there and stays. They then don't go to any of the games, because TV football is what they think football is.

BelfastEagle
15-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I live in Belfast and support Palace

Yes, im a Northern c**t :D

Woodside_CP
15-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Most football fans follow successful teams. Unfortunately in London, the biggest and most successful teams are north of the river. Also, with Arsenal, it seems a lot of blacks support them as they seem to have had a lot of quality black players and a lot of fans from ethnic minorities.

Real football fans support a team they have an affinity with -i.e. through location or through parents/relatives. I wouldn't class a Croydon arse fan in the same league as fan as me :p ps. No offence to the few Palace fans from random areas who support Palace for reasons other than above - you lot are a special breed and I, for one, salute you!

cpfc4evandeva
15-05-2009, 05:16 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Selhurst Celtic again.

I can't understand the whole 'pick the best team coz' they win all the time.' Well I can in 10 year olds. But any teen who hasn't yet seen the light is really missing out on what fooball is all about.

TheMexicanHorse
15-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Arsenal = Black football club.

CarlosTheFinger
15-05-2009, 06:42 PM
As someone who works north of the river but lives and is south, this annoys me greatly. At work, I spend a hell of a lot of time extoling the virtues of all things Palace and Croydon and this scum is undoing my hard work.

They are from the south, pretending to be from the north, so drowing them in the river is clearly the only way forward. Arsenal fans first.

Cheers Dunkyboys,

Carlos

Nelson Muntz
15-05-2009, 06:45 PM
No offence to the few Palace fans from random areas who support Palace for reasons other than above - you lot are a special breed and I, for one, salute you!You can't gloryhunt Palace. thats why those that choose us from other areas are special.

Louis
16-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Sky may have accentuated the problem, but it's not the main reason. Well before Sky TV started, a lot of South London and Surrey based Spurs and Arsenal fans would come to Selhurst Park when we played them.

Why do people south of the river support Spurs and Arsenal? Well, they have had more success over the years than Palace and Millwall. Families have spread out over time too.

CPFC87
16-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Arsenal = Black football club.

LOL

etu
16-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Sky may have accentuated the problem, but it's not the main reason. Well before Sky TV started, a lot of South London and Surrey based Spurs and Arsenal fans would come to Selhurst Park when we played them.

Why do people south of the river support Spurs and Arsenal? Well, they have had more success over the years than Palace and Millwall. Families have spread out over time too.

Sadly true. Sky had barely started when I was at primary school as a nipper but there were sod all Palace or Millwall fans there or at my juniors football club.

ebyeeckeagle
16-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I live in Highbury and am a Palace fan. I think the technical term for it is 'stupidity'.

:) :p

King William
16-05-2009, 08:26 PM
you want to try southampton up to london..
big games it busy when i get on at ston (from bmouth and further), once you get to bstoke its full of bertie bassets

Timbo
16-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Indeed, kids start growing up watching football on tv these days. And who gets the most games on tv? The "big four". Once a kid (who doesn't know better) starts wanting Arsenal to win all these games that are shown on tv, their loyalty is there and stays. They then don't go to any of the games, because TV football is what they think football is.

I fall into this bracket. I followed Leeds for a couple of years until I was old enough to realize that this team I had never heard of called Crystal Palace was our local club and therefore the team I must suppport.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
16-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I haven't read the thread yet, but has anyone said 'because they're *****' yet?

kayjay
18-05-2009, 02:02 AM
I've always wondered this?