PDA

View Full Version : Alan Smith to Middlesbrough

hook
27-06-2009, 12:31 PM
"Former Crystal Palace boss Alan Smith is set to return to the game as Gareth Southgate's number two at Boro". on the BBC gossip site.

God help them, at least their centre back can look forward to a couple of games up front.

sheepy
27-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Not a manager but think he would be an asset to many football clubs. He seems to be highly respected as a coach.

Not sure its the best move for Gareth to be appointing him as his number 2 though.

CPFC_DAVE77
27-06-2009, 12:41 PM
he would be an asset to many football clubs

:eek:

CPFC_DAVE77
27-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Alan Smith has not been employed in football since his dismissal from Palace in April 2001, but is now an agent with one of his clients manager Chris Coleman.

From WIKI

jone-zee
27-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Smiffy discovered and coaxed Gareth from the start at Palace.
I know He didnt cut it as Manager but as a Coach he is right up there

Asagaya_Eagle
27-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Gareth rated AS very highly indeed

firesign
27-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm always a bit puzzled that AS often gets a hard time on here. We won the championship with him in charge and next season reached the semis of both the league and FA cup and only got relegated because four teams went down that year. Great days.

kolinkins
27-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Wonder how long until he gets Gibson to sack Gareth and give him the job?

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
27-06-2009, 01:28 PM
My father-in-law is a spitting image of Alan Smith!

CPFC_DAVE77
27-06-2009, 01:32 PM
My father-in-law is a spitting image of Alan Smith!

"Dad i'm getting engaged"

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/17/article-1183728-00329F5B00000258-369_468x617.jpg

:p

Vince Hilaire's Afro
27-06-2009, 01:38 PM
"Former Crystal Palace boss Alan Smith is set to return to the game as Gareth Southgate's number two at Boro". on the BBC gossip site.

God help them, at least their centre back can look forward to a couple of games up front.

Wasn't it Coppell who started playing Coleman up front?

Also, I could have sworn Smith had a job at Fulham since leaving Palace.

Eric Young 83
27-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm always a bit puzzled that AS often gets a hard time on here. We won the championship with him in charge and next season reached the semis of both the league and FA cup and only got relegated because four teams went down that year. Great days.

100% agree

nookiebear
27-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Poor Boro

Travelcard
27-06-2009, 01:45 PM
His first time in charge was my favourite period as a Palace fan. We were whupping teams every week.

eagle1980
27-06-2009, 03:57 PM
i hope the players like jelly babys:D :p

eagle1980
27-06-2009, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=Vince Hilaire's Afro]Wasn't it Coppell who started playing Coleman up front?

Also, I could have sworn Smith had a job at Fulham since leaving Palace.[/QUOTE

he was at fulham before our second spell as the acadamy coach..cause mr fayard cancelled alan smths wife harrods card:D ...and before that he was at wycombe.

Scrumpy
27-06-2009, 04:08 PM
oh dear

Will S
27-06-2009, 04:24 PM
This will not end well.

Scifo
27-06-2009, 04:32 PM

I agree with this. But then again the year we were nearly relegated to the second division I stuck by him nearly throughout. Turned out sacking him was the best decision.
Even I can get it wrong. Go figure.

SE25Eagle
27-06-2009, 05:40 PM

well thats handy, thats another reason for Lita to join us ahead of them lol

eagle1980
27-06-2009, 06:49 PM
well thats handy, thats another reason for Lita to join us ahead of them lol
yep hes running out of options:D :p

wedgetail
27-06-2009, 07:46 PM

"A number two" is a good description of Alan Smith

eagle1980
27-06-2009, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=wedgetail]"A number two" is a good description of Alan Smith[/QUOTE

Woodside_CP
27-06-2009, 09:40 PM

I've never really got the ill-feeling towards Smith either. I gather he was a bit of a twat, bit arrogant and gave some players a hard time - but like you say, the championship year was quality. He gave it a good bash in the Prem as well and if we had got Dowie in sooner and Armstrong had laid off the ganja, we might well have stayed up. That wasn't a bad team either - Martyn, Coleman, Shaw, Southgate, Salako, Armstrong etc. If Noadesy had splashed out that year and bought in quality (Darren Patterson & Andy Preece FFS) Smith might not have been tempted to play Coleman up front... :D

PeterH
28-06-2009, 03:51 AM
He also had time to speak to people when you met him. I had a good chat with him at Wimbledon dogs.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
28-06-2009, 05:40 AM
I think it's like many things - when times are good, people don't see the bad. Hence, when we were championees, Alan Smith was perceived as a lovable eccentric.

It was when he returned for his second spell that it turned a lot of people sour on him. Replacing his former manager came across as a bit disloyal I guess, then the disastrous football that followed led people to percieve him as a squinty demon of Hades. When the going's tough I don't think people like to see a manager pouring shit on his team in an attempt to make himself look better. I think that's what led many to remember more the stories of bad man-management and arrogance than the good times.

And his overuse of 'mental toughness'.

Ray Houghton liked him though.

jone-zee
28-06-2009, 08:27 AM
He also had time to speak to people when you met him. I had a good chat with him at Wimbledon dogs.

He also uses the Dukes Head Wallington (for a number of years) and has a chat with the rather passionate Palace crowd in there. I too struggle to understand the Vitrol heapedon him. I know He made some weird descisions when he was Manager (and lest We forget RGN was still at the helm then too but he is 'Golden Bollocks' and can never be dissed or held responsible according to some) but as has already been pointed out We would have survived that season but for the '4 down' anonalmy. Prior to getting that job He had been on the Coaching Team at Palace for a while and was respected throughout The Game.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
28-06-2009, 08:36 AM

:rolleyes:

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
28-06-2009, 08:41 AM
"A number two" is a good description of Alan Smith

:lux:

See below for my thoughts on the one eyed one, total bellend nuff said :veryangry

eagle1980
28-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Wasn't it Coppell who started playing Coleman up front?

but dont forget coppells god:D

gold76
28-06-2009, 10:39 AM
93/94 & the following season, were quite special for me
the promotion season was the first of the new Whitehorse, season tickets were 100, I think frozen for the following year too, I maybe mistaken.

we played some great footie that year & had a decent team too, which was unlucky to go down

I've no great animosity towards smith, I'd rather remember his first spell in charge

good coach, maybe less so as manager

either way though, I think Gareth will be hounded out by xmas, just my opinion, major team surgery is needed there

magician
28-06-2009, 10:39 AM
he'll need his leather murderers gloves up there!

my only gripe with him is his willingness to take the plaudits when we had a good result, and his "the players must take a long hard look at themselves" when we lost !

firesign
28-06-2009, 10:58 AM
:rolleyes:

eh?

Jim Cannon
28-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm sure in the Woody & Nord book Southgate mentions in his youth team days the Smith told him was a ***t once

Kirby
28-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I sat opposite him at Purley station a few months ago. He was almost as orange as Simon Jordan. Pretty sure he was looking at me, but it was hard to tell.

Billy Rhino
28-06-2009, 08:12 PM
I sat opposite him at Purley station a few months ago. He was almost as orange as Simon Jordan. Pretty sure he was looking at me, but it was hard to tell.
The BBS in Mills & Boon mode...

Billy Rhino
28-06-2009, 08:15 PM
To be fair, the team Smith inherited from the administration era was dreadful and I honestly think Coppell would have struggled to keep it up that year, despite the money SJ invested (as teams do need time to gel).

However, his record away from Palace as a manager also proves he wasn't all that.

Jason
28-06-2009, 08:45 PM

I think it's a number of things. I think for many, his success in winning the championship was down to him inheriting a very good team. Let's not forget, we got 49 points in the prem the year before, and only lost McGoldrick and Thomas (who made little contribution that year due to injury anyway). There is a feeling fom some (probably unfair imho) that you could have put most BBS members in charge that year, and we'd have still won the League.

Then in the Prem, there was a feeling that although we were unlucky to go down (the four down rule that year), we should have actually done more than enough to be well clear of the drop zone given the players we had. This is actuall probably true, as evidenced by how many players went on to have good prem careers after leaving.

However, the main reason is of course his second spell. I really struggle to say anything good about it at all, apart from the cup run. The indecent haste with which he took the job after sir Steve left was a bad start, and it got no better. If management is about using money wisely, and getting the best from your players, then Smith's second tenure is an epic failure. Some diabolical and expensive signings (Hopkin and Pollock anyone?), and appalling man management (I actually lost count of the number of players he fell out with, butthe Mullins / Morrison incident sticks in the claw particularly) are not a good combination for any manager.

sydnsteve
29-06-2009, 08:32 AM
That should see the end of Boro. As for AS's single season of success, he took up SC's team that my granny could have managed, then against all the odds got it relegated. And a complete bullshitting tosser to boot.

UEAgle
29-06-2009, 09:44 AM
He's a good coach but just falls short as a manager.

I don't fully understand the animosity towards him.

He got us promoted as champions (albeit with a quality side), and then oversaw an unlucky relegation and two semi-final appearances.

His second spell was disastrous (although lest we forget he did get us to another semi-final, and he did bring Dougie back to the club), but sometimes it's just a case of wrong man, wrong time.

stevek
29-06-2009, 09:51 AM
He also uses the Dukes Head Wallington (for a number of years) and has a chat with the rather passionate Palace crowd in there.

Yep: seen him in there. I also saw him in the Greyhound in Carshalton way back in 1998 (the day on Clinton's debut goal).

sydnsteve
29-06-2009, 11:00 AM
He had no tactical ability (Preece on the wing vs Womble defeat at home), inability to manage any adult player, it was never his fault, and how he allowed that team to be relegated was criminal. For some God knows what reason RN never sacked him.

A real media man's manager with his glass of red wine and press room homilies. His record speaks for itself at Palace and Wycombe. Fine as a kids team manager. Gareth clearly never fell out of love with him, but a very, very foolish move by Boro.

N Herts Eagle
29-06-2009, 11:53 AM
The second spell anticpated by me but like many a players second spell total rubbish...took away from the first spell...yes he took up a good side but one that had a stutter around January and an inspired signing of Paul Stewart puts the team on the road to the championship.....that team was not as easy to get up as many on here think.......it need guiding to achieve the title only the second ever since the war.

A season in the Prem which was highlighted by cup runs how close were we to a second Wembley F A Cup appearence the third (ok if you want to argue about 18xx fourth) semi final appearence by a Palace side and then eventually the relegation.....one which went wrong from the first game we needed experience Stewart was not signed (never fully understood that ) and Ray Wilkins arrived only to spend 6o odd minutes on the pitch never to be seen again...Noades was not sure Smith was the right man did not back him with money in the summer and waited to late before sanctioning the arrival Dowie and Houghton a few weeks before and the story might have been so different...... basically sums up a great period in our time ...but also proves never go back...!!!

hilairehair
29-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Poor Boro. Terrrible, terrible man manager.

Noades blamed him for the 1995 relegation (good with the media, but hadn't got a clue how to strengthen the side once we were in the premiership, according to Uncle R.)

Justy C
29-06-2009, 12:04 PM
He had no tactical ability (Preece on the wing vs Womble defeat at home), inability to manage any adult player, it was never his fault, and how he allowed that team to be relegated was criminal. For some God knows what reason RN never sacked him.

A real media man's manager with his glass of red wine and press room homilies. His record speaks for itself at Palace and Wycombe. Fine as a kids team manager. Gareth clearly never fell out of love with him, but a very, very foolish move by Boro.

My thoughts exactly.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
29-06-2009, 12:16 PM
He'll roll up to Boro with his Fulham personalised number plate mumbling about how great Tignana was before ringing the press to start slagging the Boro players high wages and poor effort.

hilairehair
29-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Wayne Carlisle at right back V Liverpool still sends shivers down my spine.

gold76
29-06-2009, 02:01 PM
apart from Tuncay, Boro do have an incredibly average squad..
Gibson is a loyal chap, but I think it would have been kinder for him to part with Gareth now, I can't see them pulling up trees next season