PDA

View Full Version : Our midfield ...

marky1919
19-08-2009, 08:53 AM
... seems to be pleasantly surprising.

BUT ... we need an injury free season of course.

Ambrose has already shown his class with 4 goals in 3 games.

Danns - this was what I was hoping for ... at the end of last season, he finally overcame his long injury - many of us probably thought he was another on the long list of sicknotes but he started playing very well in the last 6 games or so.

I remember saying to my Dad at the end of last season, if Danns can remain fit, he'll be a massive player for us nexrt season, and so it's already proving. Long may his form continue.

Derry - so far Dez is playing very well from what I hear ...

You add Scannell, Sears and Moses to the equation and you've got a very youthful midfield, filled with bags of pace and skill.

The key to this is? ... WE ARE PLAYING FOOTBALL ON THE GROUND... instead of playing hoofball, all these players demand the ball at their feet and consequently run at defenders.

Exciting football already this season ... well done Palace. Let's hope for the 3 points on Saturday. :lux: :lux: :lux:

kolinkins
19-08-2009, 08:54 AM
You forgot N'Diaye

marky1919
19-08-2009, 09:02 AM
You forgot N'Diaye

Ooops!!! Yes, too early in the morning for me still! :D

And the marvellous Viera ... what a find he is. Seems like he's been playing for us for ages. Very composed, skillful and strong.

What a contrast to last season where our midfield seemed to be the weakest part of our team.

UEAgle
19-08-2009, 09:02 AM
You add Scannell, Sears and Moses to the equation and you've got a very youthful midfield, filled with bags of pace and skill.

Pardon my pedantry, but none of the above are midfielders.

You're right though - Derry, Danns, Carle, Ambrose, N'Diaye and Comley is a great selection of midfielders at this level.

palacemaniac
19-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Why do you have so much neg rep?

CPFC Guy
19-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Because he's an utter mentalist.

marky1919
19-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Because he's an utter mentalist.

That much is true.

marky1919
19-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Pardon my pedantry, but none of the above are midfielders.

You're right though - Derry, Danns, Carle, Ambrose, N'Diaye and Comley is a great selection of midfielders at this level.

Well I know, but none of them have been played in attack.
They've all played as wingers have they not?
I may be mistaken ...

Heb 7:4
19-08-2009, 10:22 AM
marky doesn't really deserve to be in the red :( He is a conspiracy theory mentalist, but he's not nasty. Have some rep :)

Heb 7:4
19-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Christ, one rep from me and he went from two red to three green!

Mwhahahaha! The power.

I'm off to neg some rep-whores. Marky's upbeat post has put me in a good mood

palacemaniac
19-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Christ, one rep from me and he went from two red to three green!

Mwhahahaha! The power.

I'm off to neg some rep-whores. Marky's upbeat post has put me in a good mood

Leave the rep whores alone :veryangry

I think I may just have set myself up for some neg rep :D

marky1919
19-08-2009, 11:11 AM
There's nothing like neg rep! I'm very proud! :D

BulletEagle
19-08-2009, 11:44 AM
My rep just gave marky another two blocks. mwhahahahah my immense power.

Latvian Eagle
19-08-2009, 11:59 AM
It is indeed exciting times.

The thing is a lot of people seemed worried by the strength and depth of our squad this season, but having browsed through all the CCC teams squads this season a lot of them are only around 22-25 deep... In the past teams had "squads" (including youngsters of course) of pusing 35-40.

I think it was excellent foresight in fact from NW to blood the likes of Cadogan, Comley, and Pinney last season which I think many people thought was a waste of time at the back end of last season. :)

hilairehair
19-08-2009, 12:22 PM
The problem will be our defence. We concede from set pieces and long ariel balls into the box all the time. I'll probably get burnt as a witch for this (or neg repped to kingdom come), but I don't particularly rate McCarthy, he seems to struggle in tussles with big burly centre forwards, which is predominently what this division will consist of.

Having said that, this squad has got me very excited about this year, we could well end up in a play off spot, and we do actually look quite GOOD. Which is something I'm quite suprised by. Really looking forward to the Newcastle and Peterborough games

Who knew?

marky1919
19-08-2009, 12:53 PM
The problem will be our defence. We concede from set pieces and long ariel balls into the box all the time. I'll probably get burnt as a witch for this (or neg repped to kingdom come), but I don't particularly rate McCarthy, he seems to struggle in tussles with big burly centre forwards, which is predominently what this division will consist of.

Having said that, this squad has got me very excited about this year, we could well end up in a play off spot, and we do actually look quite GOOD. Which is something I'm quite suprised by. Really looking forward to the Newcastle and Peterborough games

Who knew?

Agree with most of that, although whilst I see your point about Paddy, he'll still save us more points than lose, so in that respect he's still our no. 1 CB alongside JF.

Too early to start talking about playoffs. The title though ... :D

AJ
19-08-2009, 01:15 PM
... seems to be pleasantly surprising.

BUT ... we need an injury free season of course.

Ambrose has already shown his class with 4 goals in 3 games.

4 in 4

AJ
19-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Probably why NW wants Davies. Big, burly and a bully.

Latvian Eagle
19-08-2009, 02:43 PM

I totally agree with your sentiments in a way... But the stats don't lie. We were a much better team last season when Paddy Mac played than when he was unavailable.

kolinkins
19-08-2009, 02:44 PM
4 in 4

4 in 3 starts :)

Or 4 in his last 3 games :)

gold76
19-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Carle hasn't even played a second of first team footie yet!
such has been the emergence of N'Diaye..

although I can see the big fella being rested at some stage, in case of burn out..

GodstoneEagle
19-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Carle isn't a bad player to have as back up :)

although if he doesn't feature much before Jan then I can see him balancing the books if you know what I mean

hilairehair
19-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Agree with most of that, although whilst I see your point about Paddy, he'll still save us more points than lose, so in that respect he's still our no. 1 CB alongside JF.

Too early to start talking about playoffs. The title though ... :D

I agree that McCarthy is our best centre back, the problem will be: is that going to be good enough? This has been done to death, but we only looked creative after Watson was reintroduced to side last season, as soon he went the chances in matches became thin and far between. I'm not sure if having McCarthy fit would've made a lot of difference, despite what the 'stats' might show.