PDA

View Full Version : Is it something about me?

peagle
01-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Wherever I go, whatever game it is, I am always sitting within earshot of some of the most annoying Palace fans ever. I am sick of the constant, mostly ridiculous moaning of some of our fans. Yes we all get frustrated, but these idiots I always seem to be near just pick on one or two players constantly no matter what they are doing or have done in the game.

Perfect example was the person sat directly behind me at yesterdays game, they didnt shut up for the entirety of the match. The worst part though, was their constant criticism of three players: N'diaye, Butterfield and Lee.

Now the last of these, Lee is a common theme amongst Palace fans now, probably the same idiots who never appreciated Soares for the talent he was, and now many realise how much we miss him. Lets face it, he isn't a fabulous player, but he works hard enough and contributes plenty to the team. But many won;t give him a chance because he played badly for a few games last year.

N'diaye as well, is becoming a serious target and I cannot understand why. Perhaps I shouldnt be surprised that our fans do not appreciate a talented youngster who does the work of 4 normal players but makes a handful of mistakes. He is young and will learn and his mistakes are rarely in dangerous places so can be tolerated. Mixed in there are some brilliant moments which naturally, the narrow minded fans cannot bring themselves to see.

I won't rant about Butts who I thought played well yesterday as the person sat behind me seems to be in the minority. What I will say is if you arent prepared to get behind our players, why do you come to games? Do you really just enjoy complaining and slagging people off that much? Our team is far from perfect, but that is why we are a low mid table club so deal with it. By all means criticise our players if they have a bad game, but why do some people want to single out individuals for constant abuse, no matter what they are doing on the pitch? I can't stand it.

Unfortunately, I think that the problem is not my bad luck with where I am sitting. I think that the problem is the number of fans that have gone this way. Maybe I am in the wrong, for wanting to appreciate our players when they do well as opposed to writing them off. Maybe we should all choose a different player each game and all combine for a mega-moan just to get it off of our chests? Maybe we should just all give up on supporting Palace because a couple of our players arent perfect. I just don't know anymore.

stamford triumph
01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
We have always singled players out for treatment over the years - think Alan Pardew for example. The difference is that it took a long time before people worked out whether they were going to slag the player off or not and it used to be just one out of the whole team.

What has changed is the way many people turn on players after just one or two matches. In particular, you never used to hear people slagging off youngsters who came through the ranks - now it seems commonplace. Because of the salaries we see top players earn and the lack of loyalty some people think any player is fair game, even if they are just on first contract money.

For me, it is also making watching the game less enjoyable - people definitely seem to spend more time criticising our players than the opposition or the referee these days.

Jim Cannon
01-09-2009, 08:09 PM
are the Mets not playing tonight peagle?:D

Psychokiller
01-09-2009, 08:21 PM
When the Arthur was made all seater I had the misfortune of sitting in front of an old c-nt who used to refer to the likes of Andy Gray, Ian Wright, Mark Bright etc as "niggers". Then the Holmesdale stand was built so I moved there and ended up having to sit next to someone who took up one and a half seats for four seasons, which meant that I had to be seated by 2pm in order to claim the other half of my seat :(

calne eagle
01-09-2009, 08:30 PM
having to sit next to someone who took up one and a half seats for four seasons, which meant that I had to be seated by 2pm in order to claim the other half of my seat :(

I used to be shoehorned inbetween two 'large' gentlemen. Most uncomfortable.

I used to sit in front of a bloke who would say at every opposition attack 'here it comes'. Of course, he was often right, but I'd rather he'd kept it to himself.

I know some people who sit behind a right gobby c@nt who disturbs the peace of the Main Stand. Sorry about that, Mr and Mrs Henty and the rest of you...

Jim Cannon
01-09-2009, 08:34 PM
About 15-20 years ago I used to sit next to a bloke who just constantly muttered "dear, dear, dear, Rubbish, Palace" for quite a few years. Eventually a woman who sat next to him, who as far as I know had never ever actually spoken to him finally snapped and had a massive go at him, haven't seen him again.

cpfcmazz
01-09-2009, 08:39 PM
All the moaners were sitting yesterday, should have stood

stamford triumph
01-09-2009, 08:43 PM
When the Arthur was made all seater I had the misfortune of sitting in front of an old c-nt who used to refer to the likes of Andy Gray, Ian Wright, Mark Bright etc as "niggers". Then the Holmesdale stand was built so I moved there and ended up having to sit next to someone who took up one and a half seats for four seasons, which meant that I had to be seated by 2pm in order to claim the other half of my seat :(

I moved from the Holmesdale lower about 4 seasons ago because of the incessant moaning and slagging of players by people round us in block G. Went in to Whitehorse and enjoyed it much more at first but then a complete plonker sat in front of us and spent part of the match shouting you dirty northern b*stards at anyone from anywhere other than London and the rest trying to give his son a dead arm. Moved away from him and it is not too bad now as we are in front row - maybe I'm just an old git and should wear ear plugs!

SteveyHawking
01-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Some old bag used to sit near me a few years back and she, rather inexplicably, hated Dougie Freedman. Every game she slagged him off until one day I had to tell her to shut it. Needless to say I ain't seen her around for a while!

Nowadays there's an old fella nearby who only seems to be happy when we're playing poorly so he can shout "Get off the ground!" to any player attempting to head the ball. Fun times!

CPFC_DAVE77
01-09-2009, 08:51 PM
The most concerning thing about the above mentioned criticism of N'Diaye is the naivety and ignorance not just regarding the players performance; but the context with which we signed him. He is not a local lad. He didn't fall into our productive youth set up and come through the ranks. This a player that has been rejected by numerous clubs and has come to us to forge a career and has given everything in training to earn a contract. He's cost us a few weeks wages so far and has contributed a lot of good on the pitch and looks like becoming a goodf player. Can the moaners overlook his small errors and focus on the plusses? No. These idiots seem more interested in foucsing on his sometimes heavy touch, or the fact he doesn't win every single header than anything else.

As for the moaners, if there Block B hadn't been available to rescue me, I would have cancelled my season ticket. The 'chorus moan' when a pass goes astray or the ball goes back to the 'keeper infuriated me. Thank God for B Block.

CPFC_DAVE77
I moved from the Holmesdale lower about 4 seasons ago because of the incessant moaning and slagging of players by people round us in block G. Went in to Whitehorse and enjoyed it much more at first but then a complete plonker sat in front of us and spent part of the match shouting you dirty northern b*stards at anyone from anywhere other than London and the rest trying to give his son a dead arm. Moved away from him and it is not too bad now as we are in front row - maybe I'm just an old git and should wear ear plugs!

Complete snap. Block G = Moans.

eagle1980
[QUOTE=peagle] same idiots who never appreciated Soares for the talent he was, and now many realise how much we miss him.,{QUOTE]

i know someone who will love you just for that comment:D :D :D :D

telodaja
01-09-2009, 08:52 PM
All the above were one of the reasons I would not buy a season ticket. I could not stand the thought of being trapped next to someone, who ruined my enjoyment of the game every home match. I think Palace fans have always been over critical, but it is getting worse and IMo I don't think this forum helps, it is too easy to knock out a post without too much thought.

The worst example of instant condemnation was the friendly against Sampdoria when Torghele started his first match, the guy sitting next to me was yelling out halfway through the second half "You are the worst player I have ever seen in a Palace shirt", he looked quite perplexed when I asked him if it was his first ever game watching Palace. when I pointed out that he should perhaps give Torghele a chance as he had only signed on the Thursday, presumably spoke little English and had hardly had the time to get to know his team mates I received the reply "Of what the f has that to do with anything" Now I know there will be some smart arse who will probably post that he was right about Torghele, but there is no way he was the worst player ever to don a Palace shirt and to start abusing a player after two thirds of a game is not my idea of a fan.

CPFC_DAVE77
01-09-2009, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=peagle] same idiots who never appreciated Soares for the talent he was, and now many realise how much we miss him.,{QUOTE]

But don't care her 'Babs'...

Arron
01-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Not being a season ticket holder I tend to get a seat wherever I can in the Holmesdale lower but wherever I sit there always seems to be someone who does nothing for 90 minutes but moan, whinge or complain. Like I've said on a different thread, at the game against Newcastle a couple behind me did nothing but slag off N'Diaye who I thought had a pretty good game.

Not sure what people expect from a mid-table team but if they don't enjoy it why the hell do they keep coming back?

Jim Cannon
01-09-2009, 08:56 PM

Would that be his no.1 fan Barbara perchance?:D

TheArtfulDodger
01-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Thank God for B Block.

Amen.

Chobham Eagle
01-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I think you'll find these tosspots in all parts of the ground.

There's one or two on here too! :(

Clapham Grand
01-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I think you'll find these tosspots in all parts of the ground.

There's one or two on here too! :(
only two? :sob: ;)

Sick Bucket
01-09-2009, 10:10 PM
No doubt itīs all true but to be honest I donīt think we are much different to any other club, I spent a few years watching Port Vale when I lived in Stoke and there was a right miserable git sitting near me, I distinctly remember Vale beating Keeganīs Newcastle 2-0, (they won the league with ease) in a fantastic match and the geezer was still bitching and miserable as sin.

Barbara4003
01-09-2009, 10:13 PM
..... probably the same idiots who never appreciated Soares for the talent he was, and now many realise how much we miss him ....

:lux:

A year today :(

Harry Holmesdale
02-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Thank God for B Block.

Yeah and that banner really helped lift the team didnt it

What was it "Red n Blue on your shirts but not in your hearts" cracking stuff from the self proclaimed 'Fanatics' of my club... not in my name

Eye-dee
02-09-2009, 08:39 AM
I was at Carshalton Athletic on Monday, and one guy I was with that hadn't been to football for a few years said "Blimey, I had forgotten how many complete wankers there were at football matches", this after hearing the most ridiculous and offensive comments from someone behind.

Perhaps it is not just Palace, but people in general?

peagle
02-09-2009, 09:58 AM

What was it "Red n Blue on your shirts but not in your hearts" cracking stuff from the self proclaimed 'Fanatics' of my club... not in my name
That isn't really the same. We are talking about serial moaners who need to isolate individuals for constant, often ridiculous and unfounded criticism. Not a one-time statement about your view on a whole season from the whole club.

Harry Holmesdale
02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Hmmm, not sure I agree mate, that banner was not how I felt for a start

Individuals moaning is one thing but when the self appointed 'voice of the club' start stating in no uncertain terms that they felt the side were not worthy of the red n blue shirt that is another altogether different matter and in my opinion more damaging

peagle
02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Hmmm, not sure I agree mate, that banner was not how I felt for a start

Individuals moaning is one thing but when the self appointed 'voice of the club' start stating in no uncertain terms that they felt the side were not worthy of the red n blue shirt that is another altogether different matter and in my opinion more damaging
Im not sure the statement was that they were not worthy, i read it more as that the players were not showing any passion in playing for the club, which was clearly true and needed to be said imo. Also remember that the (as you put it) self appointed 'voice of the club' is just that, self appointed. So they do not represent you and you needn't worry so much that they are not expressing your views, they are expressing theirs.

leelouca
02-09-2009, 10:43 AM
I heard a few Irish/Welsh remarks towards Given and Bellamy at the MCFC game which I thought were out of order, is it now ok to insult other nationalities even if they are British or from the British Isles?

Maz
02-09-2009, 10:45 AM
How can you insult another 'British' nationality?

Harry Holmesdale
02-09-2009, 10:45 AM
You said above Not a one-time statement about your view on a whole season from the whole club. The whole club?

At the end of the day none of us like moaners, none of us want to see the team do badly we all want the same thing and some go about it in a very odd way, thats life, we cant change it, in over 25 odd years of going I have always heard people whinge at Selhurst, its not a new phenomenon

Vince Hilaire's Afro
02-09-2009, 12:20 PM
No doubt itīs all true but to be honest I donīt think we are much different to any other club, I spent a few years watching Port Vale when I lived in Stoke and there was a right miserable git sitting near me, I distinctly remember Vale beating Keeganīs Newcastle 2-0, (they won the league with ease) in a fantastic match and the geezer was still bitching and miserable as sin.

But for all his millions, beautiful women, and chart success, robbie Williams has always found happiness hard to come by.

nellis
02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Wherever I go, whatever game it is, I am always sitting within earshot of some of the most annoying Palace fans ever. I am sick of the constant, mostly ridiculous moaning of some of our fans. Yes we all get frustrated, but these idiots I always seem to be near just pick on one or two players constantly no matter what they are doing or have done in the game.

Perfect example was the person sat directly behind me at yesterdays game, they didnt shut up for the entirety of the match. The worst part though, was their constant criticism of three players: N'diaye, Butterfield and Lee.

Now the last of these, Lee is a common theme amongst Palace fans now, probably the same idiots who never appreciated Soares for the talent he was, and now many realise how much we miss him. Lets face it, he isn't a fabulous player, but he works hard enough and contributes plenty to the team. But many won;t give him a chance because he played badly for a few games last year.

N'diaye as well, is becoming a serious target and I cannot understand why. Perhaps I shouldnt be surprised that our fans do not appreciate a talented youngster who does the work of 4 normal players but makes a handful of mistakes. He is young and will learn and his mistakes are rarely in dangerous places so can be tolerated. Mixed in there are some brilliant moments which naturally, the narrow minded fans cannot bring themselves to see.

I won't rant about Butts who I thought played well yesterday as the person sat behind me seems to be in the minority. What I will say is if you arent prepared to get behind our players, why do you come to games? Do you really just enjoy complaining and slagging people off that much? Our team is far from perfect, but that is why we are a low mid table club so deal with it. By all means criticise our players if they have a bad game, but why do some people want to single out individuals for constant abuse, no matter what they are doing on the pitch? I can't stand it.

Unfortunately, I think that the problem is not my bad luck with where I am sitting. I think that the problem is the number of fans that have gone this way. Maybe I am in the wrong, for wanting to appreciate our players when they do well as opposed to writing them off. Maybe we should all choose a different player each game and all combine for a mega-moan just to get it off of our chests? Maybe we should just all give up on supporting Palace because a couple of our players arent perfect. I just don't know anymore.

Do you sit in Block F holmesdale?

Palace Bear
02-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Do you sit in Block F holmesdale?

Ha!

There's someone in Block F who deep down still blames everything that goes wrong on soares.... Soares the food in the Holmesdale is overpirced... Soares the Soap dispenser is empty!!!

RednBlue
02-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I think Peagle's description at the start of this thread matches with the old moaners that used to sit behind me in the main stand. Forced me to move after two seasons of it!
Mind you, I used to sit next to a youngish chap in the lower Holmesdale who spent most of the game with his hands over his eyes, saying '"Oh no......!"

peagle
02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Mind you, I used to sit next to a youngish chap in the lower Holmesdale who spent most of the game with his hands over his eyes, saying '"Oh no......!"
Sounds about right for most Palace games tbh!

Barbara4003
02-09-2009, 02:47 PM

I spend a lot of my time with my hands over my eyes, but that is only when it looks like the opposition are going to score.

It's got nothing to do with me thinking our players are rubbish or anything.

:)

kolinkins
02-09-2009, 02:52 PM
I spend a lot of my time with my hands over my eyes, but that is only when it looks like the opposition are going to score.

It's got nothing to do with me thinking our players are rubbish or anything.

:)

You must be our equivalent of that woman who used to shreak at Highbury (you'd always hear her on the telly).

DocSavage
02-09-2009, 02:58 PM
the overall consensus in this thread is that there are annoying palace fans close to all regulars

ipso facto all palace fans are annoying?

i personally enjoy the variety of opinions on my now infrequent visits and always express my own forcibly as required.

Whilst I am on here a pessimist I always provide support to the team and never criticise the team or individuals during a game although from time to time I have moaned at the end

milky87
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
How can you insult another 'British' nationality?

Quite easily

Just insert the word Welsh or Jock in front of the word c*nt :p

Latvian Eagle
02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
At the Newcastle and Man City games some youngish chap (early-mid 20s I'd say) spent most of both games berrating N'Diaye and calling him the lanky lazy black one! :eek:

Someone pointed out to him he was only 18 to which the response was a "so what?"

Barbara4003
02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
You must be our equivalent of that woman who used to shreak at Highbury (you'd always hear her on the telly).

Golly. I don't shriek.

Notice I didn't make too much of your deliberate spelling mistake ;)

CPFC_DAVE77
02-09-2009, 03:49 PM

Despite being a supporter of the HF; I said 'Thank God for Block B'. The areas between A-C are recognised vocal hotspots for those that want an away atnmosphere at home games. Having a season ticket in this section does not make me a member of the HF. The banner, along with the flare I think we all agree were two negatives that in some people's cynical eyes overshadow all the good work the HF does. It is fact that beside the AWM, our home games would be a funeral without the inhabitants of blocks A-C. However, as I've mentioned, you only want to focus on one negative aspect; a bit like the moans and groans aimed towards players like Lee and N'Diaye... I am starting to see a pattern; I wonder where you sit our of interest...

CPFC_DAVE77
02-09-2009, 03:52 PM
the overall consensus in this thread is that there are annoying palace fans close to all regulars

ipso facto all palace fans are annoying?

i personally enjoy the variety of opinions on my now infrequent visits and always express my own forcibly as required.

Whilst I am on here a pessimist I always provide support to the team and never criticise the team or individuals during a game although from time to time I have moaned at the end

Opinions as you say are fine, indeed welcome, as conflicting views are one of the ingredients that keeps football going. But ignorant, frankly thick comments with no footballing basis or substance are too frequent IMHO. However, if they are paying their money, they can argue they can pay to berate if that's what they want.

Harry Holmesdale
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Upper Tier Holmesdale, right above block B as a matter of fact

Used to reside in the Arthur Wait terracing where an atmosphere was generated naturally, chants were for the team, they were also original and witty

The HF are doing their bit but I and many others find it a little bit cliquey and cringy if I'm honest

What is it with those massive flags? Have to admit chuckling at the Geordies singing 'what the f**kin hell is that' about the flags!

CPFC_DAVE77
02-09-2009, 04:40 PM
As i'm aware it's based on the ultra's way of bringing colour to the stands. I can see why some may see it as cliquey; but it's really not an exclusive club. The HF are always urging people that want to sing to sit with them, as well as inviting people to pre/post game functions. Of course you can have a season ticket in the noise and not even know any of the HF, as is the case for many I believe. My point is that they have done the odd stupid act, and some may not like the choice of chants, or flags, drum or whatever; but they are trying to create some sort of atmosphere with varied success.

Ruskin Old Boy
02-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Nothing new about moaners and whingers at Selhurst park - plenty on these boards as well - but when most people stood on the terraces or in the enclosures it was very easy to move away from the moaners (remember Peter Burridge getting grief because he was ex-Millwall even though he scored on a regular basis).

Took me half a season to find somewhere new in the Main Stand where there was little or no persistent abuse of Palace players and have been there for nearly a decade. Away matches can be a pain, especially those in easy travelling distance, but it's usually quite easy to move (as it was at Peterboro). The long haul away matches are the best as almost everyone is fully behind the side.

Can't see why anyone would be against the flag waving at Selhurst (they were great at Ashton gate as well), bring colour and enthusiasm to the match. The drum on the other hand ....