PDA

View Full Version : "tapping up"

DocSavage
09-09-2009, 08:21 AM
great article

http://fypfanzine.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/feature-football-hasnt-learnt-from-palaces-bostock-example/
says it all really

CPFC_DAVE77
09-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Very good read.

Eye-dee
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Excellent, but I doubt that anything will change :(

Maidstoned Eagle
09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I must admit I have been waiting for some sort of announcement that the Bostock deal would be looked into. However I do have this sneaking suspicion that this is all a way to halt English clubs domination of European competition and nothing to do with looking after the "smaller" clubs interests

Halftime Gold
09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I must admit I have been waiting for some sort of announcement that the Bostock deal would be looked into. However I do have this sneaking suspicion that this is all a way to halt English clubs domination of European competition and nothing to do with looking after the "smaller" clubs interests

Indeed, I'v a feeling we may see a few bans to british clubs and no real policey change thats obviously needed.

The big Prem sides have obviously been pretty underhand but I do think a very large factor in this is that new rule that trainees below 16 must live no more 90 mins away. Thats stopped these teams picking out talented younger players from alot of the country, Beckham couldnt have gone to Man Utd aged 14 today. To makeup for that shortfall there poaching 16-17 year olds and/or youngsters from aboard.

britabroad
09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
But are we REALLY dominating? For all the teams that make in into the later stages of the CL and UEFA cups, we really haven't won very often at all.

The smaller clubs also benefit from the revenue from playing the big teams, if they be English, Spanish or Italian.

Maidstoned Eagle
09-09-2009, 01:47 PM
But are we REALLY dominating? For all the teams that make in into the later stages of the CL and UEFA cups, we really haven't won very often at all.

The smaller clubs also benefit from the revenue from playing the big teams, if they be English, Spanish or Italian.

The very fact that English clubs are there or there abouts come CL semi final time is probably enough for Platini and his cronies to start worrying.

AJ
09-09-2009, 02:44 PM

I was going to ask how many English sides won a European competition last season? The answer is 0.

El Aguila
09-09-2009, 02:47 PM
The very fact that English clubs are there or there abouts come CL semi final time is probably enough for Platini and his cronies to start worrying.
I have never got this argument. What makes you think Platini gives a toss about the nationalities of the teams in the last four of the Champions?
Because he's a frog? So was Voltaire.

Beanie
09-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I have never got this argument. What makes you think Platini gives a toss about the nationalities of the teams in the last four of the Champions?
Perhaps the fact that he - and indeed Blatter - have actually said on camera that he is worried about the domination of the Premier League, with three teams in the last four a number of times now, gives a clue. A slightly more balanced view was expressed by one of the official at UEFA -who was English - saying that we have had the Italian period, the Spanish period and now the English period, and that it may be Spains turn again, but any country dominating is bad. You can also look at the fact that Platini said last year he didn't like four teams from England in he Champions League (didn't mention either Spain or Italy, just England) and after failing to get the clubs to agree to reduce the numbers permitted he changed the format of the qualifiers to make it harder for the fourth team to get through. Big success that was.

Taken all in all though, I'd say their is the odd hint of his views.

Scroatey
09-09-2009, 03:26 PM
...I do think a very large factor in this is that new rule that trainees below 16 must live no more 90 mins away...90 minutes walking, driving (at what speed), or on the Eurostar?

Halftime Gold
09-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Nationalism plays a part with both men and there organisatiosn dislike of the english game but I think the bigger factor is a fear of the prems wealth. The big clubs in Spain and Italy can only keep up by talking a highly disproportionate share of the income(Spain espeically in heading for big problems with Real and Barca earning over 3 times more than aone else) there leagues generate, in terms of overall income the prem is way in the league and they fear it surpassing the WC, EC and CL as the highest level of football.

grovesy
09-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Platini hates the English, that is clear.
Many of his proposed policies such as salary caps and foreign quota limits are aimed at preventing the domination of Premier League clubs in the Champions League. Whilst at the same time it is Champions League money which has created two horse races in most of the leagues around Europe.
Whilst English sides may have only won it twice in the last 5 years, there has been an English finalist every year and I can't be bothered to count the amount of semi-finalists.......

To be fair it was FIFA and not UEFA who handed out the ban to Chelsea - however I agree that they are all (including the FA) culpable for running a system which permits the tapping up of young players....

DocSavage
09-09-2009, 03:37 PM
well in my view i hate "big" clubs poaching and preventing other teams developing

as for champions league it should return to previous seasons champions and possibly (but I'm against) the last winner if not champion

this would solve the seasonal issue but not several years dominance

frankly english dominance is boring because unlike spanish, italian and omg the ajax years it does not raise itself much but merely subdues the opposition

Maidstoned Eagle
09-09-2009, 04:28 PM

I think others answered the question better than I could. As for the French crack, come on Mark, you're better than that.

El Aguila
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Nah, I'm not.

sheepy
09-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Well the FA seem to be utterly incapable of reigning in the actions of premiership clubs so if it needs an anti-english coallition to tackle the problems by introducing legislation to prevent Man U, Chelsea etc from taking the piss.

Football is no longer a financially stable business model for 95% of clubs in the UK and other countries are going the same way. Something needs to be done desperately about this.

On a similar note, is it perhaps time that we consider going to FIFA over the Bostock transfer. That certainly reeks of dodgy dealings. Just because the FA doesn't give a toss, FIFA would likely be open to screwing over another English club. Regardless of how this affects our chances in the loan market, from the sounds of it we have another batch of talented kids coming through and we need to be trying to do everything we can to stop other clubs poaching them.

Halftime Gold
09-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Well the FA seem to be utterly incapable of reigning in the actions of premiership clubs so if it needs an anti-english coallition to tackle the problems by introducing legislation to prevent Man U, Chelsea etc from taking the piss.

Football is no longer a financially stable business model for 95% of clubs in the UK and other countries are going the same way. Something needs to be done desperately about this.

On a similar note, is it perhaps time that we consider going to FIFA over the Bostock transfer. That certainly reeks of dodgy dealings. Just because the FA doesn't give a toss, FIFA would likely be open to screwing over another English club. Regardless of how this affects our chances in the loan market, from the sounds of it we have another batch of talented kids coming through and we need to be trying to do everything we can to stop other clubs poaching them.

To be fair the FA seem to have done more than most other national bodies, theres the 90 min rule I mentioned and while we got screwed over Bostock at least we got something though the tribual. More obviously needs to be done but the fact other FA's seem to have done even less is why were seeing the poaching moving outside this country.

Maidstoned Eagle
09-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Nah, I'm not.

OK then. :D

El Aguila
09-09-2009, 08:53 PM
To be fair the FA seem to have done more than most other national bodies, theres the 90 min rule I mentioned and while we got screwed over Bostock at least we got something though the tribual. More obviously needs to be done but the fact other FA's seem to have done even less is why were seeing the poaching moving outside this country.
Because it's "British clubs" who are doing the poaching - and it's not Palace or clubs like Palace and I don't feel any kinship or association with those "big four" clubs.

palace_burger
09-09-2009, 11:14 PM
I thought it was open knowledge that a number of big teams, ranging from Barcelona / Chelsea etc were interested in Bostock long before he moved. If questions were to be raised it would be then!

On another note, wasnt Defoe Charlton long before he was West Ham

And wasn't Beckham West Ham long before he was Man Utd? (maybe not as they got to him sooooo young)

This has been going on for years, the issue is now the major clubs have so much cash they are snapping player up on the off chance, either to prevent them going elsewhere or on the off chance someone makes it.

as for making it.. chelsea etc have brought in sooo many youngster and virtually none have got anywhere, so whats the point... if they want world class player they go buy them anyway!?

etu
09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I haven't looked at it yet, but one of my main thoughts at the time and now is "We were due". Every 'small' club out there has their prize youngster thats been poached, the list is genuinely endless. If the FA cared they had plenty of examples before anyone knew who John Bostock was... but they didn't then and they don't now.

Honestly? I'd rather forget Bostock and love the fact that we've managed to keep Moses, Scannell and Clyne so long. Not every club would have done that.

Celestial Empire
10-09-2009, 12:20 AM
I haven't looked at it yet, but one of my main thoughts at the time and now is "We were due". Every 'small' club out there has their prize youngster thats been poached, the list is genuinely endless. If the FA cared they had plenty of examples before anyone knew who John Bostock was... but they didn't then and they don't now.

Honestly? I'd rather forget Bostock and love the fact that we've managed to keep Moses, Scannell and Clyne so long. Not every club would have done that.

The FA are completely sold out to the Prem, the only chance is if FIFA go over the heads of the European national associations - not much chance of that !:(

palace_burger
10-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Anyone else wondering whats going on?

SJ is being very quiet on this one. Not his usual self... i.e. any chance to have a rant in the press.

This leads me to think something is going on, maybe the sale fo the club is close and he doesn't want to rock the boat, he has aquired a youngster in a similar way, or there was some special deal behind Bostock we dont fully understand.

His silence (unless I have missed it) does seem strange. After all it was the Bostock affair that lead him to put the club up for sale (possible a nice mask for running out of cash!)

NZsparky
10-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Anyone else wondering whats going on?

SJ is being very quiet on this one. Not his usual self... i.e. any chance to have a rant in the press.

This leads me to think something is going on, maybe the sale fo the club is close and he doesn't want to rock the boat, he has aquired a youngster in a similar way, or there was some special deal behind Bostock we dont fully understand.

His silence (unless I have missed it) does seem strange. After all it was the Bostock affair that lead him to put the club up for sale (possible a nice mask for running out of cash!)
Or maybe he just feels that for once he doesn't need to say anything as other people are saying it for him.

Reps AJ
10-09-2009, 10:32 PM
In the past lower league clubs developed talented players and then sold them on to larger clubs, thus allowing them to keep trading and developing the next generation of players. Now it seems the big clubs aren't just content with taking the largest share of all the money coming into football (via tv deals, prize money, sponsorship etc) they also now also want to stop redistributing that money around the world hierarchy by stealing young talented players for peanuts thus helping to destroy them football hierarchy that used to support them :(