PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Derry: My Watson surprise

ZOHAR
10-09-2009, 02:13 PM
SHAUN Derry says he is shocked that Ben Watson is back in the Championship.

The Palace captain will face his former team-mate in Tuesday’s derby at Queens Park Rangers.

Watson has joined the west London outfit on loan after falling out of favour at Wigan, who he joined in a 2million deal from the Eagles in January.

“I know it was Steve Bruce who signed Ben for Wigan but I thought his style of play would suit the new boss Roberto Martinez,” said Derry.

“But this is a chance for Ben to concentrate on his game and perhaps prove people wrong - I’m sure he will because he’s an excellent player. Without any doubt he has the quality to be back in the Premier League again in the future. I feel he typifies an English midfielder - he’s box to box, scores and makes goals and has good set-piece deliveries."

Don't miss tomorrow's South London Press for the full story - plus Derry's thoughts on the QPR game seeing him reach 500 career appearances.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=35633&headline=Shaun%20Derry:%20My%20Watson%20surprise

MasterYoda
10-09-2009, 02:21 PM
no wonder Derry's doing so bad in the fantasy football if that's how he see's Ben. ;)

eaglesfan86
10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
I was never convinced Watson would make it in the Premier League to be honest. He is a very good Championship player though and I wouldn't have minded if he came back to us.

Derry to go in with a hard challenge on Watson early on do we think? Welcome him back to the Championship?!

Eye-dee
10-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I would love Ben back with us, after all, we have no one to boo now :rolleyes:

Crunchie
10-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Why do people think Ben is box to box midfielder?

TheMexicanHorse
10-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Why do people think Ben is box to box midfielder?

Why do people even think Watson was good enough for the Premiership?

Very average Championship player at best.

He lasted what? 6 Months at Wigan.

AJ's right boot
10-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Very average Championship player at best.
That really isnt the case, if you have seen him play i hope that is tounge in cheek. Hes a quality player, our season nose dived after he left.

TheMexicanHorse
10-09-2009, 06:42 PM
That really isnt the case, if you have seen him play i hope that is tounge in cheek. Hes a quality player, our season nose dived after he left.

No our season nose dived because Craig Beattie left fella.

I have seen Watson since he made his debut, I still maintain he is a average championship player...hence why he has been booted out the Premiership after 6 months and a handful of games...

AJ's right boot
10-09-2009, 07:07 PM

I have seen Watson since he made his debut, I still maintain he is a average championship player...hence why he has been booted out the Premiership after 6 months and a handful of games...
He was doing really well in the prem, then a change of manager has ****ed him. I remember watching MOTD and that smug git Bruce said something along the lines of i better phone Simon Jordan and thank him for the absolute bargin.

AJ's right boot
10-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Found it!

The transfer window signing from Crystal Palace grabbed his second goal in eight days with a looping volley after capitalising on Hull goalkeeper Matt Duke's weak punch in the 84th minute.

It had appeared the Latics were heading for their seventh blank in 10 league matches after Mido and Hugo Rodallega had twice each squandered opportunities.

"Ben scored his second goal in as many games and at 1.5million he looks a snip," said Bruce.

"Simon Jordan (Palace chairman) will be on the phone ranting and raving at me saying I've done him."

Goalscoring has been a problem for Wigan, especially at home with only 14 in 15 matches.

Mido and Hugo Rodallega both had a couple of good chances to open the scoring in the first half with Charles N'Zogbia also testing Duke with a long-range effort early on.

Bruce admitted the number of squandered chances - the best of which saw substitute Amr Zaki's header hit a post - had been worrying but stressed his side got what they deserved eventually.

"I thought the first half was one-way traffic to say the least," added the Latics boss.

"We have been at that stage many times and the fear was that, in the Premier League, you don't get many more chances.

"We had umpteen in the first half which we didn't take and that causes you a concern.

"But they stuck at it and got their reward because, for me, the better team won."

trickyricky66
10-09-2009, 07:09 PM

No our season nose dived because Craig and ben left fella.

foxinthebox
10-09-2009, 07:13 PM

him getting "booted" out of the premiership just mean he may not have had the quality to make a premiership first team, not that he is average championship player. koumas tears up the championship but has little impact in the prem. youre looking at it too simply. Watson would probably be good in the prem playing with a team he had got promoted with.

if you had seen him since his debut regularly you would have to respect his qualities. beattie wasnt there when we was doing well before when watson was playing. we missed his threat in midfield and other team were wary of him.

youre a mug if you wouldnt have him back

Jason
10-09-2009, 07:37 PM

To be fair, our team got ripped apart around Christmas. Beattie (arguably our best striker) back to WBA, Watson (arguably our best midfielder) sold, and McCarthy (arguably our best central defender) effectively out for the season.

You can't rip the spine out of a team like that, and expect not to suffer. IMHO Watson was the LEAST significant of those three losses more o aount of the better cover at centre mid than in other positios than y other reason), but a major blow nonetheless. Im not sure though that any ONE of those events not happening would have saved our season. We could probably have afforded no more than one of those three players to be lost if we wanted to continue to challenge

Henfield Eagle
10-09-2009, 08:29 PM
To be fair, our team got ripped apart around Christmas. Beattie (arguably our best striker) back to WBA, Watson (arguably our best midfielder) sold, and McCarthy (arguably our best central defender) effectively out for the season.

You can't rip the spine out of a team like that, and expect not to suffer. IMHO Watson was the LEAST significant of those three losses more o aount of the better cover at centre mid than in other positios than y other reason), but a major blow nonetheless. Im not sure though that any ONE of those events not happening would have saved our season. We could probably have afforded no more than one of those three players to be lost if we wanted to continue to challenge
Far comment:p

glaziers fan
10-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I hadn't noted anyone's surprise when Soares returned to the CCC with Charlton ;) I'm shocked Martinez didn't fancy Ben as well.

I can see why Crunchie thinks Ben is not box-to-box. He's a strange player because he's techncially awesome, can tackle (now) and makes good runs into the box and scores goals. But he is not conventional box-to-box in that he doesn't tackle to win the ball on the edge of his area and then drive with the ball at his feet deep into the opponent's half. He's not a runner, he's a passer. As such he will never look as amazing on the eye as someone in the Viera mould.

Timbo
10-09-2009, 11:10 PM
I hadn't noted anyone's surprise when Soares returned to the CCC with Charlton ;) I'm shocked Martinez didn't fancy Ben as well.

I can see why Crunchie thinks Ben is not box-to-box. He's a strange player because he's techncially awesome, can tackle (now) and makes good runs into the box and scores goals. But he is not conventional box-to-box in that he doesn't tackle to win the ball on the edge of his area and then drive with the ball at his feet deep into the opponent's half. He's not a runner, he's a passer. As such he will never look as amazing on the eye as someone in the Viera mould. In light of what you say the reason that he doesn't look as good as Viera is presumably because he isn't?

Celestial Empire
10-09-2009, 11:31 PM
So Martinez, who got the Wigan job mainly as a fondly remembered ex-player, who has never managed in the Prem, and thinks that signing the Swansea team is the recipe for Prem survival, decides he doesn't fancy Watson (without really playing him), and we are supposed to believe that Watson is not good enough for the Prem ?
Bizarre.

philsick
11-09-2009, 07:16 AM
So Martinez, who got the Wigan job mainly as a fondly remembered ex-player, who has never managed in the Prem, and thinks that signing the Swansea team is the recipe for Prem survival, decides he doesn't fancy Watson (without really playing him), and we are supposed to believe that Watson is not good enough for the Prem ?
Bizarre.

Add to that the fact that wigan were doing well under bruce at the end of last season ,with watson playing his part and they look like relegation fodder now.Martinez did brilliantly getting swansea promoted and playing great football last year,but a prem job was too much too soon IMO.I think bens loan say's more about martinez than ben and qpr have had a result.

anti-addick
11-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Anybody that thinks Ben Watson is just a Championship player knows feck all about the game. These are often the same people that think the likes of Tom Soares has 'great potential' and Alan Lee will deliver given time

Admittedly I never saw Ben play during his last season with us but I did see all the other seasons. It was no surprise to me that our nose dive came directly after he left.

Owngoal
11-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Funny, I thought that Ben had a decent showing in the Prem for us when he was younger and he was a better player when he left us. The key point to many on here is that he had the cheek to want to play in the Prem again. Wigan are fast becoming a team that looks to be a relegation candidate without Bruce (who has done very well as a manager, including his time with us). Most of us who like to see good passing would welcome Ben back in a flash. I'm miffed he is at QPR as that was not a step up for him. Tom Soares was a very different player, could look great running through several players but never performed consistently. With the Ben just before leaving, if he played well, so did we.

middleeagle
11-09-2009, 11:49 AM
wheres the mexican pony gone?

idiot

hilairehair
11-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Admittedly I never saw Ben play during his last season with us but I did see all the other seasons. It was no surprise to me that our nose dive came directly after he left.

Watson only started to become consistent during his last season and a half. We were looking good for a play off spot until he left. People also seem to forget he's only gone to QPR on loan. In my view, he'd be a pretty useful acquisition for any side in the bottom third of the premiership.

Crunchie
11-09-2009, 05:17 PM
In light of what you say the reason that he doesn't look as good as Viera is presumably because he isn't?

I think GF point about Viera was that he is a box to box midfielder (maybe a bad example?)

But Viera is a box to box midfielder, so is Geoff Thomas, so is Neil Danns. Ben Watson isn't and although he has great vision, and got better at tackling under Warnock, thats not enough to become a good premiership player.

He was neither a defensive or attacking midfielder either.

This is why (sorry as i have to repeat this for the 30th time), he could only play in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 system, as then he could then play to his stengths (passing and move) and others cover his weaknesses (tackling and energy).

dim
11-09-2009, 05:43 PM

If I recall correctly, our season started dreadfully with contract rebel Watson left out for the first month or so until the window closed.

Following a string of poor results, NW brought him back in to the fold and, as if by magic we went on a run which ended with us just in a playoff spot.

Then Watson was off, and gravity took hold.

Maximus Dowieus
11-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I would love Ben back with us, after all, we have no one to boo now :rolleyes:oh i'm sure we'll find someone!

hilairehair
11-09-2009, 08:01 PM
If I recall correctly, our season started dreadfully with contract rebel Watson left out for the first month or so until the window closed.

Following a string of poor results, NW brought him back in to the fold and, as if by magic we went on a run which ended with us just in a playoff spot.

Yes, this is what happened.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
11-09-2009, 08:47 PM
His wages must be a lot. Only teams like QPR could afford to pay that kind of money.

Lords Eagle
12-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Spot on :p

ET1
12-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I think GF point about Viera was that he is a box to box midfielder (maybe a bad example?)

But Viera is a box to box midfielder, so is Geoff Thomas, so is Neil Danns. Ben Watson isn't and although he has great vision, and got better at tackling under Warnock, thats not enough to become a good premiership player.

He was neither a defensive or attacking midfielder either.

This is why (sorry as i have to repeat this for the 30th time), he could only play in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 system, as then he could then play to his stengths (passing and move) and others cover his weaknesses (tackling and energy).

I think that's why Watson divided the supporters, some people like that type of midfielder, some people don't, including me.

I've never been a fan of the likes of Watson, Carrick, Pirlo, because although they obviously have different levels of ability, they are all that type of skilful but weak deep-lying midfielders that tend to just sit in front the defence like a blob, they can't tackle properley, they're not energetic, they dont contribute much to the solidity of midfield, all they do is play the odd nice pass or nice shot. They can rarely beat a man either, so they can't be no10 types. These types of midfielders need others around them in their team to make them look good.

red&blue_moomin
12-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Bizarre.

This is the crux of it!!! Martinez is chasing after a player for several million who has cruciate problems........Bode may well be a great player but I don't believe he actually played much in the Championship last season did he so how do we know he can handle a step up two divisions especially at 3.5million quid? Wiki anyone.

Ron Dogers
12-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I think that's why Watson divided the supporters, some people like that type of midfielder, some people don't, including me.

I've never been a fan of the likes of Watson, Carrick, Pirlo, because although they obviously have different levels of ability, they are all that type of skilful but weak deep-lying midfielders that tend to just sit in front the defence like a blob, they can't tackle properley, they're not energetic, they dont contribute much to the solidity of midfield, all they do is play the odd nice pass or nice shot. They can rarely beat a man either, so they can't be no10 types. These types of midfielders need others around them in their team to make them look good.

In the prem I would back Bruce's judgement over Martinez's for now.

There are different types of midfielders, the hard tackling ones, the "protect the back 4" ones, wide ones, box to box, attacking ones, ones with no idea what they are supposed to be doing like our's this afternoon and then some whose main job is to play decent passes to team mates to create opportunities - they are by far the hardest to find as we have found out to our cost as the only times we have been threatening in the last few seasons is when we had Ben providing the ammo.

Ben must be rubbing his hands together in anticipation of playing against the headless chickens we had out there today!