PDA

View Full Version : Romark the mad hypnotist.

henryhallandhisbasque
10-08-2000, 05:07 AM
During our 1976 FA Cup run we gained some 'assistance' from a man called Romark, who at the time was a well-known hypnotist.

This is where my memory clouds over. Did Malcolm Allison initially approve of his hypnotic powers, and let him actually hypnotize the team for the rounds up to the semi-final? Then, did Malcolm change his mind and tell him to bog off, making a scorned Romark, put a curse on us for the Southampton game?

What happened to Romark, Is he dead?

[This message has been edited by henryhallandhisbasque (edited 10 August 2000).]

Glaws Eagle
10-08-2000, 11:53 AM
From what I can remember, Allison encouraged romarks intervention.

But it was only for one or two games I think.

The Leeds game and the Chelsea game.

Maidstoned Eagle
10-08-2000, 01:02 PM
Big Mal p*ssed him off and he cursed us forever, seems to have worked.

Andy in Rome
10-08-2000, 05:05 PM
Now there's a name from the past!

I remember one of his publicity stunts at the time that he was involved with Palace was to claim that he could drive a car blindfolded, thanks to his amazing mental powers.

Someone took him at his word, and set up a challenge. Romark sat blindfolded behind the wheel of a car, started up and set off - and drove straight into the bacK of another car.

When asked why his mental powers seemed to have failed him, he replied that the other car was parked in a psychic 'blind spot', which meant that it didn't appear to him.

If he continued to use that trick as part of his act, I guess he died some time ago...

Grim Reaper
24-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Down the years I've heard bits about some chap called Romark who put a curse on Palace in the 70s.

After all this time I still don't know the full story.

Anyone know why he did it and anyone know when someone's going to lift it!!! 30 years of suffering is enough now!!!

Nork1
24-08-2004, 10:16 PM
http://tonyd.users.netlink.co.uk/cpfris97/dec30.htm

In the 1970s a publicity seeking psychic called Romark* publicly fell
out with Malcolm Allison and placed a curse on him and Selhurst Park.

Before long the club had fallen from the 1st Division to the third
and lost an FA Cup semi final. (Against Southampton at Stamford
Bridge)

There's plenty of evidence that the curse still lingers - though
Romark doesn't, he was killed while attempting to prove his psychic
powers by driving a car blindfolded.

Alan Dunlop.

**RB** The psychic was called in by Malcolm Allison in an effort to
assist Palace and initially had some success in improving Palace's
results. However, Romark claimed that Allison welched on the
financial arrangement and it led to some unpleasantness which
spilled over into the media. This led to the curse being placed.

Slimbloke'H'
25-08-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Nork1
...though Romark doesn't, he was killed while attempting to prove his psychic powers by driving a car blindfolded..With the best will in the World, you've got to be a few sticks short of a bundle to try somethig like that!!! :)

Mind you, if he was any good he'd have forseen it all anyway wouldn't he? :rolleyes:

tomario
25-08-2004, 02:20 PM
wasn't there any article in We All Follow the palace about this?

dave_who_ru
29-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by tomario
wasn't there any article in We All Follow the palace about this?

See the above link posted by Nork1.

Also I found the following story regarding Romark and Muhammed Ali.

http://www.writeandearn.com/muhammad.htm

dave_who_ru
29-08-2004, 04:09 PM
I remember Romark attempting to drive a car blindfolded but I didn't recall that he died as a result of this.

Just found the following which certainly rings a bell.

The Least Successful Psychic Act

The hypnotist Romark announced he was going to give a public display of his psychic powers. "I am going to drive a car, blindfolded, through Ilford" he said. When the big day arrived he duly placed two coins, a slice of dough and a thick band across his eyes. Shortly afterwards he climbed into a yellow Renault and set off down Cranbrook Road. After 20 yards he drove confidently into the back of a parked Police van. A large admiring crowd formed around our man who said later: "That van was parked in a place that logic told me it would not be".

And he managed to put a curse on Palace!!

dave_who_ru
29-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Sorry another one.

This Friday (23 April at 22:10 on Channel Four, UK TV) there is a TV programme called Derren Brown:Trick of the Mind featuring the well-known illusionist, magician and hypnotist, in which he plays chess simultaneously with nine of Britain's leading chess masters. A trailer for the programme shows GM Julian Hodgson and FM Graham Lee amongst them. The second link below has a photo in which can be identified some other well-known players such as GM John Emms and IM Paul Littlewood. Apparently Brown achieves his objective of beating/drawing with the majority of them, and then reveals how he did it. This is not the first time that an illusionist/hypnotist has challenged the chess world: in 1972 Romark challenged Fischer and Spassky to a simultaneous match. Most chess players will be aware of one way this sort of stunt can be made to work, whereby the person giving the so-called simul plays one game with white and one with black. He then simply waits for the player playing white to move, and plays the same move against Black.

This guy was certainly the Uri Geller of his day.

dave_who_ru
29-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Seems there was a thread on this back in 2000.

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?threadid=1911

Simon A
29-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Slimbloke'H'
With the best will in the World, you've got to be a few sticks short of a bundle to try somethig like that!!! :)

Mind you, if he was any good he'd have forseen it all anyway wouldn't he? :rolleyes:

maybe he did and it was really suicide? :eek:

Slimbloke'H'
30-08-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Simon A
maybe he did and it was really suicide? :eek: :D :D :D

I suppose it's not out of the question! :p

familytales
08-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Romark did not die in the Ilford blindfold stunt but he did die of a stroke in 1982, not long after being released from prison where he served a 4 and a half month stretch for robbing cash from his mother while she was in hospital.

Apparently he put a curse on Palace after Big Mal missed an appointment at his 10 a session Harley Street hypnotism practice (a lot of dosh in those days!).

He also put a curse on Muhammed Ali on behalf of Richard Dunn in Munich. Ali won by a knockout, but not before the ring collapsed under Ali at the weigh in, injuring several of his staff.

So Romark wasn't exactly a diamond geezer.

Whether you lot can really blame Palace's current and recent performance on Ron (real name Ronald Markham) is debatable.

Disco
10-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Nice one cheers!!

Europe anyone??

Sick Bucket
10-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Excellent !

matthew
10-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by familytales
Whether you lot can really blame Palace's current and recent performance on Cousin Ron (real name Ronald Markham) is debatable but I believe I can help re. the curse.

My mother's maiden name is Markham and she was brought up in the Leytonstone/Gants Hill area.

Maybe I too am related to Ron

:hi:

SE5eagle
10-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Great thread.

ChiswickEagle
22-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Cropped up again in today's Grauniad

Always one to seek an extra edge, the ever-flamboyant Malcolm Allison got in touch with the hypnotist/illusionist Romark (real name Ronald Markham) during his spell as manager at Crystal Palace in the mid-70s. The pair fell out, however, amid reports of an unpaid bill, and Romark apparently placed a curse on Palace. Then, on the eve of Palace's 1976 FA Cup semi-final against Southampton, Romark contacted Lawrie McMenemy's secretary, Val Gardner, and arranged a meeting with the Saints manager. "I took the coward's way out and agreed to see him," McMenemy wrote in a May 2005 Southern Daily Echo column.

"When he came in, his eyes immediately struck me. He had peripheral vision, both eyes staring in different directions. He surprised everyone by asking for two chairs to be placed in the centre of the room facing away from each other two yards apart, then got an apprentice to put his head on one and heels on the other. When he took the chairs away, the lad stayed suspended in mid air. I was even asked to sit on the lad's stomach and still he stayed suspended. George Horsfall, our reserve-team trainer, came in shortly afterwards and, after telling him what had happened, he did the trick all over again. He wouldn't tell us how it had been done, but George was born in India and it may well have had something to do with the old Indian rope trick." Ruse or not, it did the trick, Southampton beating Palace 2-0 before going on to upset Manchester United in the final

ChristalPalace
15-10-2010, 03:22 PM
A thread perhaps worth bumping on this of all days.

RIP Big Mal.