PDA

View Full Version : Takeover Whispers

Pages : [1] 2 3

DaveP
30-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Again, after chatting to a few people in the Executive areas last night there were whispers again that there was new interest in the club about a possible takeover.

Mr Noades was again mentioned but no concrete details. Some people mentioned it would be a consortium lead group which would involve Ron and also his son but we have heard this for a while now. There were also some other groups supposedly interested.

It could just be the same stories we have heard before but it did seem to be a strong rumour and talking point last night and something could be waiting in the wings.

EagleSE24
30-09-2009, 08:28 AM
We'll be the new Man City in months. Actually, I hope we're don't go down that road. Financial stability is fine for me. Especially if it means we can hold onto our youngsters.

Seba
30-09-2009, 08:30 AM
We'll be the new Man City in months. Actually, I hope we're don't go down that road. Financial stability is fine for me. Especially if it means we can hold onto our youngsters.

I hope we do..... they have a Sash as an away kit!!! :D

Eye-dee
30-09-2009, 08:46 AM
We'll be the new Man City in months. Actually, I hope we're don't go down that road.

So do I. I would hate Palace to become some rich man's toy. Cheque book success is shallow and good only for the Sky television viewers.

sw16girl
30-09-2009, 08:56 AM
There is no imminent take over. As before there are some shadowy players in the background who are awaiting developments.

TC EAGLE
30-09-2009, 09:04 AM
I had also heard last nite that Jordan/Kemsley done a crafty one regarding selhurst park but I can't see how they got away with it. Apparently Kemsley knew Rock investments were in trouble so he bought selhurst park knowing Jordan could well get it cheaper from Rocks administrators Price Waterhouse

SW11 Andy
30-09-2009, 09:05 AM
There is no imminent take over. As before there are some shadowy players in the background who are awaiting developments.

Shadowy almost implies shady. Is this the case in your opinion?

Woodside_CP
30-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Just like we had absolutely no money and zero chance of buying any players, a week or so before splashing out 1mill on nick carle? I'm not being funny, but why would jordan tell anyone outside of his private circle about any takeover. It might happen it might not, but i doubt you know anymore than anyone else with regards to it.

DaveP
30-09-2009, 09:11 AM

As i suspected it was probably merely rumours but am convinced if we really get to a point of financial disaster there are more than enough people ready to step in and i would include Mr Noades in that.

Btw, was that yourself on Palace Radio last night? If so, you came across well.

Psychokiller
30-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Can you please stop implying that we're not doomed and that we'll have a football club to follow next season. Thanks.

SE25Eagle
30-09-2009, 09:27 AM

What type of developments...? Administration.....?

sw16girl
30-09-2009, 09:31 AM
As i suspected it was probably merely rumours but am convinced if we really get to a point of financial disaster there are more than enough people ready to step in and i would include Mr Noades in that.

Btw, was that yourself on Palace Radio last night? If so, you came across well.

It was me - apart from claiming we play West Brom on Tuesday and not Sat (oops) I thought I was OK - thanks.

SW11 - Shadowy does not mean shady. It means just shadowy as in very difficult to pin down. There are certainly people saying that if the club went into administration they would be interested in stepping in - fine words butter no parsnips though - and one has to wonder if that was the actual situation if they would in fact be so keen.

TC Eagle _ I can definitely confirm that that is not the case - the Trust has spoken to Kemsley in the past and I can assure you that at the moment the ground was bought back in 2006 Kemsley had no intention of going into administration in 2009. Neither is there any current plans for Mr jordan to buy the club from PWC

Woodside - that was the point at which the club secured a 5m mortgage at 15% from Agilo - I was wrong as I thought that there was no way anyone would lend the club money - I freely admit I underestimated the business acumen of those involved. As for who SJ tells - you are right on that plus of course his solicitors (whoever they may now be), his accountants, his selling agent, the financial institutions who he owes money to and who want to be kept up to date with the position, the landlords who would need to give consent to any transfer or sale and their advisors.

PK - we will have a football club to follow next season - OK? :)

Ron Dogers
30-09-2009, 12:32 PM
It was me - apart from claiming we play West Brom on Tuesday and not Sat (oops) I thought I was OK - thanks.

SW11 - Shadowy does not mean shady. It means just shadowy as in very difficult to pin down. There are certainly people saying that if the club went into administration they would be interested in stepping in - fine words butter no parsnips though - and one has to wonder if that was the actual situation if they would in fact be so keen.

TC Eagle _ I can definitely confirm that that is not the case - the Trust has spoken to Kemsley in the past and I can assure you that at the moment the ground was bought back in 2006 Kemsley had no intention of going into administration in 2009. Neither is there any current plans for Mr jordan to buy the club from PWC

Woodside - that was the point at which the club secured a 5m mortgage at 15% from Agilo - I was wrong as I thought that there was no way anyone would lend the club money - I freely admit I underestimated the business acumen of those involved. As for who SJ tells - you are right on that plus of course his solicitors (whoever they may now be), his accountants, his selling agent, the financial institutions who he owes money to and who want to be kept up to date with the position, the landlords who would need to give consent to any transfer or sale and their advisors.

PK - we will have a football club to follow next season - OK? :)

I may have got the wrong idea but did the interviewer when commenting on how necessary the trust and it's finance are, drop a hint about possible administration?

Big Fella
30-09-2009, 12:48 PM

We're being taken over by Hank Marvin??? :eek:

DocSavage
30-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Again, after chatting to a few people in the Executive areas last night there were whispers again that there was new interest in the club about a possible takeover.

Mr Noades was again mentioned but no concrete details. Some people mentioned it would be a consortium lead group which would involve Ron and also his son but we have heard this for a while now. There were also some other groups supposedly interested.

It could just be the same stories we have heard before but it did seem to be a strong rumour and talking point last night and something could be waiting in the wings.

how many drinks had "they" had when you began talking?

AJ
30-09-2009, 12:54 PM

I guessed it was, as you came across way too posh to be from SE25 :D

EagleSE24
30-09-2009, 12:55 PM
We're being taken over by Hank Marvin??? :eek:

I'm Hank Marvin.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
30-09-2009, 01:10 PM
If that f*cking c*nt Noades comes anywhere near Palace again then that is it for me. Over.

HappyLarry
30-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Now I have absolutely no inside information but both Newcastle & Birmingham are about to be taken over and I would imagine that both sets of current owners would be looking to stay in football.

Possible?

Son of Ron
30-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I think SJ would sell to Osama Bin Laden rather than Sullivan / Gold and Ashley was only interested in Newcastle as a fan and has his own financial problems. Can't see either coming near Palace.

And also don't want anyone like Carson Yeung, Thaksin Shinawatra, Gerry Lim, the arab at Pompey types coming near it either...

HappyLarry
30-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I think Jordan will sell to whoever offers him enough money.

I thought Ashley was a Spurs fan?

palacemaniac
30-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I think SJ would sell to Osama Bin Laden rather than Sullivan / Gold and Ashley was only interested in Newcastle as a fan and has his own financial problems. Can't see either coming near Palace.

And also don't want anyone like Carson Yeung, Thaksin Shinawatra, Gerry Lim, the arab at Pompey types coming near it either...

Ashley's a Spurs fan

sw16girl
30-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I may have got the wrong idea but did the interviewer when commenting on how necessary the trust and it's finance are, drop a hint about possible administration?

If he did I missed it. I think he was meaning only that in times of financial uncertainty and transfer embargos people start thinking more about Supporters Trusts (see my sig!).

nathe
30-09-2009, 01:41 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Sullivan or Gold bought the club. They have always wanted a London Cub although i believe the first choice was always West Ham.

Newts G
30-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I actually think that Gold is a possibility. I think relations between SJ and Birmingham have cooled, and now that SJ's heart really is not in it, I would of thought that whoever was interested in Palace he would sell to no matter what sort of past they had shared.

As for wanting Gold, I can say yes. I think he has done everything he can for Birmingham, he is british, alright a bit of a knob, but it would mean stability and not the foreign mercenaries that are riddling the british game.

SE25Eagle
30-09-2009, 01:59 PM
I actually think that Gold is a possibility. I think relations between SJ and Birmingham have cooled, and now that SJ's heart really is not in it, I would of thought that whoever was interested in Palace he would sell to no matter what sort of past they had shared.

As for wanting Gold, I can say yes. I think he has done everything he can for Birmingham, he is british, alright a bit of a knob, but it would mean stability and not the foreign mercenaries that are riddling the british game.

Good post that. :p

sydnsteve
30-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Yes, but SJ would have to impale himself on one of Gold's dildo's. ........

jimos_uk
30-09-2009, 02:10 PM

Yer, but I doubt Gold'd give it the 'boy done good' speech whilst signing the papers.

No matter how tempting it might be.

Miket
30-09-2009, 02:12 PM
If that f*cking c*nt Noades comes anywhere near Palace again then that is it for me. Over.

No grey areas there then.

telodaja
30-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Have to agree with this, I also think Jordan is so dis-illusioned with it all, he will snap off the hand of the first person who comes close to his valuation, irrespective of who they are or any past history.

Newts G
30-09-2009, 02:25 PM

To rid himself of Palace, I reckon SJ would see it as a small price to pay :D

Gooders
30-09-2009, 02:34 PM

If the club was in meltdown and could be picked up for a song, certain people would be interested.

Who knew?

Jack Regan
30-09-2009, 02:37 PM

With all due respect, if the club were to be taken over later this afternoon, or later this decade, how would the Trust know?

palacemaniac
30-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok Simon, i'll take cpfc off your hands on the one condition you endure yet another tale of my East End upbringing

Jack Regan
30-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Crown Prince Sheikh Ali Mohammad bin Aziz Addullah Abdullah bin Liner Ahmed al Ahmed has today announced a 50M takeover of Crystal Palace FC.

For the full story, please contact the Crystal Palace Supporters Trust who brokered the deal.

palacemaniac
30-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Crown Prince Sheikh Ali Mohammad bin Aziz Addullah Abdullah bin Liner Ahmed al Ahmed has today announced a 50M takeover of Crystal Palace FC.

For the full story, please contact the Crystal Palace Supporters Trust who brokered the deal.

That's not gonna happen, they want to be able to say "we told you so" when Jordan goes bust

pauldrulez
30-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Is a Takeover Whisper the new type of chocolate to come out?

I love the new Golden Wispa. Yummy.

DocSavage
30-09-2009, 03:54 PM

isn't he a spurs fan?

and why would he want to buy another football club?

sw16girl
30-09-2009, 03:55 PM
With all due respect, if the club were to be taken over later this afternoon, or later this decade, how would the Trust know?

With all due respect do you think I would put that information on here?

Possibly the same way we knew the Transfer embargo was back in place, the way we knew the amount of the Agilo mortgage and the interest rate - but then maybe they were lucky guesses.

But feel free to carry on slagging the Trust off if it makes you happy to think that no one knows anything, and that the Trust doesn't care about the future of the club.

DocSavage
30-09-2009, 03:55 PM

you got the name wrong
Crown Prince Sheikh Ali Mohammad bin Aziz Addullah Abdullah bin Liner Wheresmedinnadad Ahmed al Ahmed

DocSavage
30-09-2009, 04:00 PM
With all due respect do you think I would put that information on here?

Possibly the same way we knew the Transfer embargo was back in place, the way we knew the amount of the Agilo mortgage and the interest rate - but then maybe they were lucky guesses.

But feel free to carry on slagging the Trust off if it makes you happy to think that no one knows anything, and that the Trust doesn't care about the future of the club.
it is probably not my place to comment but in jack's defence he did not appear to be slaggging anyone off merely expressing the pretty widespread cynicism when any "insider stories" heard in bars or anywhere else are revealed.

sw16girl
30-09-2009, 04:04 PM
it is probably not my place to comment but in jack's defence he did not appear to be slaggging anyone off merely expressing the pretty widespread cynicism when any "insider stories" heard in bars or anywhere else are revealed.

You did see his following presumably intended to be "funny" post? - expressing cynicism is fine and fair enough - being deliberately belittling is something else - a little like Palace Maniac who prefers to put his head in the sand or pretend the trust have some ulterior motice rather than accept that actually all the Trust wants is what is best for the club because he seems to hate the fact that we may have actually had some accurate information that we passed on rather than be acting on an agenda against Mr Jordan.

DocSavage
30-09-2009, 04:08 PM
You did see his following presumably intended to be "funny" post? - expressing cynicism is fine and fair enough - being deliberately belittling is something else - a little like Palace Maniac who prefers to put his head in the sand or pretend the trust have some ulterior motice rather than accept that actually all the Trust wants is what is best for the club because he seems to hate the fact that we may have actually had some accurate information that we passed on rather than be acting on an agenda against Mr Jordan.
yes i do only "power read" these forums

:p

Newts G
30-09-2009, 04:13 PM
and why would he want to buy another football club?

Why not?

Gold always seems to like the limelight with regard to Birmingham City maybe he enjoys being a football club owner. He is not a BC fan, and yet he has still invested heavily in them to make them a premiership team again and is now selling on presumably because the price is right. I do not know if he has made or lost money on BC.

From an outsiders point of view I would say he would be the "type" of investor I would like to see at Palace, he was mentioned in the post I was originally quoting hence I added my comments.

I was not stating he IS going to be the next Palace owner, he could be, but then so could anyone (or nobody depending on how you look at), I just stated that I would not mind if he was.

Nobby
30-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I think SJ would sell to Osama Bin Laden rather than Sullivan / Gold

Unlikely. Osama Bin Laden is a lifelong Millwall fan.

Celestial Empire
30-09-2009, 04:37 PM

Why is it that whenever somebody starts a (probably baseless, but often amusing, and always harmless), takeover rumour thread, you feel the need to dominate the thread, and insist that only you are the font of all knowledge ?
I don't get it.:confused:

Chris K
30-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Gold wouldn't be bad, he's certainly done alright by Birmingham City

Celestial Empire
30-09-2009, 04:41 PM

Arsenal, I believe.

dim
30-09-2009, 04:42 PM

Point of order Mr Chairman..... I understood OBL was in fact an Arsenal fan. In fact, he was well known to love it up the Arse in the old pre Emirates days:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/arsenal/3016918/Osama-bin-Ladens-Highbury-days.html

Dan Dare
30-09-2009, 04:52 PM

Careful, putting OBL and Millwall in the same sentance from a US based IP is likely to earn you a trip from Homeland :moo:

Nobby
30-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Point of order Mr Chairman..... I understood OBL was in fact an Arsenal fan. In fact, he was well known to love it up the Arse in the old pre Emirates days:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/arsenal/3016918/Osama-bin-Ladens-Highbury-days.html

A false rumour put out by his PR guru Max Clifford, I believe.
Simple logic tells us that Arsenal fans are wankers, but Millwall fans are, and have always been, terrorists.

sw16girl
30-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Why is it that whenever somebody starts a (probably baseless, but often amusing, and always harmless), takeover rumour thread, you feel the need to dominate the thread, and insist that only you are the font of all knowledge ?
I don't get it.:confused:

I think I probably have this wild obsession with the truth - but if you like I can add some pointless rumours and make some things up and pass on a whole load of speculaton as well if you think it would pass the time?

GodstoneEagle
30-09-2009, 05:02 PM
More posturing from the trust. :rolleyes:

I agree with those that say SJ will sell to pretty much whoever can afford it, but if I was a businessman looking to buy palace I'd wait for the pretty much inevitable administration

sw16girl
30-09-2009, 05:04 PM

I agree with those that say SJ will sell to pretty much whoever can afford it, but if I was a businessman looking to buy palace I'd wait for the pretty much inevitable administration

More baseless comments from you - what posturing?

Always an Eagle
30-09-2009, 05:17 PM

What even if he was part of a consortium? So you prepared to toss away everything the clubs represents for you, its history, the fans the roller coaster moments over who the owner is?

There is no imminent take over. As before there are some shadowy players in the background who are awaiting developments..

I see you've changed your signature. Is every posting of yours now the official word from the trust? In these difficult times wouldn't it be better if the trust registered a user name & makes whatever comments it wants but everyone knows its their official word rather than your "unofficial" view of you speculating, even if its with a degree of accuracy. Most people on here are anonymous, you aren't anymore & its apparent that at times what you say gets the trust in trouble even if it isn't your intention.

joyce the voice
30-09-2009, 05:31 PM

agreed

AJ's right boot
30-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Arsenal, I believe.
Yep, i heard that too. Wonder if he can pick up SSN in the caves? Would like to hear his opinion on Wenger etc.

AJ
30-09-2009, 06:05 PM
What even if he was part of a consortium? So you prepared to toss away everything the clubs represents for you, its history, the fans the roller coaster moments over who the owner is?

I think that if RN comes back I would be very unlikely to invest any money into the club(ie no visits to SP, no merchandise etc...) as in the back of my mind all I would see would be RN lining his pockets again. I would still support Palace as that is part of me and that cannot be changed.

Gooders
30-09-2009, 06:06 PM

I thought we had agreed that Administration was unlikely, given that that would mean for absolute certain that Jordan would have done his money?

dim
30-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Yep, i heard that too. Wonder if he can pick up SSN in the caves? Would like to hear his opinion on Wenger etc.

Probably watching last night whilst hooked up to the dialysis machine as 20 blokes on bikes hooked up to a generator pedalled like crazy to power the telly.

Mind you, do you think it was the George Graham bung signings that conviced him of the evils of Western culture?

Bet he never supported Middlesex at cricket mind.

oldnosmo
30-09-2009, 06:16 PM
What I am really worried about is that those in the wings are waiting for administration and then picking over the bones. We are surely not in a position to lose points and still recover our position.

Brett
30-09-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm already against the new owner(s) if rumours are correct and they are waiting for us to drop into administration.

AJ's right boot
30-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Probably watching last night whilst hooked up to the dialysis machine as 20 blokes on bikes hooked up to a generator pedalled like crazy to power the telly.

Mind you, do you think it was the George Graham bung signings that conviced him of the evils of Western culture?

A quick bit of googling found this old BBC story.

Sunday, 11 November, 2001, 14:48 GMT
Fanatical about football
The Northern Alliance still has not tracked down Osama bin Laden, but one place they are unlikely to find him is at Highbury stadium in London.

Premiership giants Arsenal have barred Bin Laden from the ground after discovering that the terrorist leader is a big fan of the club.

"We've seen the reports in the papers. Clearly he wouldn't be welcome at Highbury in the future," said a club spokesman.

According to revelations in a new biography of the world's most wanted man, Bin Laden became fanatical about the team in the 1990s when he was staying in the capital.

Die-hard Arsenal fans in Highbury's famous Clock End could have possibly once sat next to the man who is blamed for the 11 September terrorist attacks.

Kitted out

Bin Laden was apparently on the terraces as the north London side reached the final of the European Cup Winners Cup.

They progressed with wins over Italian side Torino and French team Paris St Germain.

These were the first games that the well-known face of terror had seen since he had taken an interest in football during kickarounds while growing up in the Middle East.

In the new book Bin Laden: Behind The Mask Of Terror, author Adam Robinson even tells of how the terrorist had become so smitten with the team that he bought a replica shirt for his eldest son.

Whether Bin Laden has his own red and white strip remains unknown, but he certainly he will not be popping back to Highbury's club shop to buy one.

Brett
30-09-2009, 06:22 PM

:)

Always an Eagle
30-09-2009, 06:36 PM
in the back of my mind all I would see would be RN lining his pockets again. .

Well he'd have to spend some first & realistically we'd have to be making a profit b4 he could start taking wads out & we'd probably need to be in the prem before we'd start making any profits. Rough with the smooth I can live with.

DocSavage
30-09-2009, 06:58 PM
sorry i missed that whisper

i'll probably miss the next one as well

and another

i'll read about if something does happen

and pigs might fly this side of 2012

Ron Dogers
01-10-2009, 07:17 AM
If he did I missed it. I think he was meaning only that in times of financial uncertainty and transfer embargos people start thinking more about Supporters Trusts (see my sig!).

Ok thanks - the bit I meant was something about when funds were needed and there seemed a pause and a "You never know" type remark

Richard
01-10-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm already against the new owner(s) if rumours are correct and they are waiting for us to drop into administration.
Let me put it this way: XX Million to invest in the team / ground or XX Million to pay off the debts that Simon Jordan has run up ?

(I am making a large number of assumptions in the above, but the basic principle is correct)

Richard
01-10-2009, 08:01 AM
I think that if RN comes back I would be very unlikely to invest any money into the club(ie no visits to SP, no merchandise etc...) as in the back of my mind all I would see would be RN lining his pockets again. I would still support Palace as that is part of me and that cannot be changed.
I have no idea whether the silver fox is involved in any consortia, aside from one rumour, but I still struggle with this attitude. Is there any evidence that Uncle Ron actually took disproportionate amounts of money out of the club (if we accept that he was entitled to the salary & perks etc. that any owner/chairman would be entitled to) ?

There is this myth amongst some on the BBS that Noades was constantly fleecing the club but, (the sale price to Goldberg aside - which is money he made from Goldberg when there was a big clamour from fans for him to go anyway) I've never seen any evidence that he took money he shouldn't have out of the club. Yes, he was somewhat stingey in the way that he ran the club, but that is actually the only way to make a club the size and aspirations of palace viable. Jordan doesn't seem to be able to make it work whilst not taking large sums out of the club (I presume), so the idea that Noades could run the club successfully and take money out of it is rather fanciful to me.

I know that many on here need pantomime-hate figures as part of their football experience, but I just don't think it stacks up under rational analysis.

Panther
01-10-2009, 09:18 AM
but I just don't think it stacks up under rational analysis.

"Rational analysis" and "Ron Noades" rarely go together on these boards.

Richard
01-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Quite.

SpikeyMatt
01-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Bring back Jerry Lim.

palacemaniac
01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I have no idea whether the silver fox is involved in any consortia, aside from one rumour, but I still struggle with this attitude. Is there any evidence that Uncle Ron actually took disproportionate amounts of money out of the club (if we accept that he was entitled to the salary & perks etc. that any owner/chairman would be entitled to) ?

There is this myth amongst some on the BBS that Noades was constantly fleecing the club but, (the sale price to Goldberg aside - which is money he made from Goldberg when there was a big clamour from fans for him to go anyway) I've never seen any evidence that he took money he shouldn't have out of the club. Yes, he was somewhat stingey in the way that he ran the club, but that is actually the only way to make a club the size and aspirations of palace viable. Jordan doesn't seem to be able to make it work whilst not taking large sums out of the club (I presume), so the idea that Noades could run the club successfully and take money out of it is rather fanciful to me.

I know that many on here need pantomime-hate figures as part of their football experience, but I just don't think it stacks up under rational analysis.

put the ground in his name and bought some golfcourses

Celestial Empire
01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I think I probably have this wild obsession with the truth - but if you like I can add some pointless rumours and make some things up and pass on a whole load of speculaton as well if you think it would pass the time?

If you are a "truth lover" and think "pointless rumours" and "speculation" are a waste of time, what are you doing on a football bulletin board ?
You don't seem to understand that nobody is obliging you to post anything.
Have you ever considered the option of NOT posting on a thread of "pointless rumours" ?
BTW, there are loads of untruths on the Chit-chat threads that urgently need the attention of a dedicated "truth crusader". :rolleyes:

ammiller
01-10-2009, 10:31 AM

Exactly.

And - the bloke who said he put the ground in his name...
He owned the ground - why wouldn't he put it in his name?

DocSavage
01-10-2009, 10:58 AM
:hi: If you are a "truth lover" and think "pointless rumours" and "speculation" are a waste of time, what are you doing on a football bulletin board ?
You don't seem to understand that nobody is obliging you to post anything.
Have you ever considered the option of NOT posting on a thread of "pointless rumours" ?
BTW, there are loads of untruths on the Chit-chat threads that urgently need the attention of a dedicated "truth crusader". :rolleyes:
can we add a poll please:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Adlerhorst
01-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Exactly.

And - the bloke who said he putthe ground in his name...
He owned the ground - why wouldn't he put it in his name?If the club previously owned the ground and Noades transferred to himself at undervalue, then that's a distrubtion (Aveling Barford case i think) so the company that owned the ground would have have needed distributable reserves to make such a transfer, otherwise it quite possibly illegal.

That said I forget when Aveling Barford occurred, and not sure what the rules were before then,and if the transfer was before the case then no idea on the law.

If it was post and in line with the law he has done nothing wrong, either by the law or from a business sense. He owned both and it matters not how he owned them. The same would be true if Jordan owned the ground outside of the company that owns the club.

Eagles55
01-10-2009, 11:19 AM

Sorry to disagree with you to some extent. I support the Palace, that is the team overall. Part of that team has to include the owners of the club but long before SJ decided to remove himself from the team he must have pocketed loadsa money. As per someone on another thread put it.

Where did the 30+ million from the premiership go?
Where did the 8 million for the sale of AJ go? (I thought it had gone to buy the freehold but lo and behold a friendly consortium bought it instead)
Where has all the other spare cash from other player sales gone?

RN may have done his share of pocketing CPFC money but to the extent of the above, does anyone know. What you can be sure of no matter who owns the club they will look for a return on their investment and reap the dividends.

If Ron Noades comes back, with or without a consortium, and sorts out our cash problems, then I am not going to stop supporting MY club and will still go to as many matches as I can. That same club that has been in the (old) third division and been in and out of the First / Premiership)and given me the agonies and the ecstacies and probably not far off a few heart attacks. I've given many years supporting MY club and I ain't gonna stop now.

Palace till I die

Brett
01-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Let me put it this way: XX Million to invest in the team / ground or XX Million to pay off the debts that Simon Jordan has run up ?

(I am making a large number of assumptions in the above, but the basic principle is correct)

I'm still struggling to get past the 'wilfully allowing my club to fall into administration' bit.

richdeniro
01-10-2009, 12:00 PM

ON another note, the merchandise was quality when RN was here... remember he had Mike and Ivy running that side of things.

Found an old catalogue from 96/97ish the other day and we had about 6 different mugs, quality golf umbrellas, etc, etc.

French Eagle
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM
The main issue is resolving our immediate cash flow problems, be it RN or someone else. But what is clear is that the day Noades separated the club from the ground that was the root of most of the present day problems. How much money for rent has been paid which could have been spent on players or on the infrastructue of selhurst? I will never stop supporting Palace but the return of Noades isn't something I would welcome.

Il Padrino
01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
But what is clear is that the day Noades separated the club from the ground that was the root of most of the present day problems.

I'd say the day Jordan seperated it even further has done more damage TBH

DocSavage
01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
The main issue is resolving our immediate cash flow problems, be it RN or someone else. But what is clear is that the day Noades separated the club from the ground that was the root of most of the present day problems. How much money for rent has been paid which could have been spent on players or on the infrastructue of selhurst? I will never stop supporting Palace but the return of Noades isn't something I would welcome.

a lease or freehold in accounting terms are pretty much the same thing

although i always like to blame the clubs ills on noades :afro:

Stellavista
01-10-2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.endtimesreport.com/pictures/fig-1.jpg

cdm61
01-10-2009, 01:07 PM
put those lights out

Stellavista
01-10-2009, 01:46 PM
put those lights out

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00238/Pg-14-air-raid-ward_238483s.jpg

Jack Regan
01-10-2009, 02:14 PM

Yeah, course it is.

If you dislike him that much why didn't you jack in Palace when we was running tings?

Voldo
01-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't care who runs the club as long as we have one....

There are pros and cons to anyone and everyone who owns the club, but first and foremost there needs to be a club for someone to own.

Richard
01-10-2009, 02:32 PM
But what is clear is that the day Noades separated the club from the ground that was the root of most of the present day problems. Wrong - it was the time day Goldberg failed to come up with the agreed cash to buy it (at the same time that he bought the club) was the root of the current problems. But let's all blame evil Ron Noades the baby-eater, shall we, hey ?

French Eagle
01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Wrong - it was the time day Goldberg failed to come up with the agreed cash to buy it (at the same time that he bought the club) was the root of the current problems. But let's all blame evil Ron Noades the baby-eater, shall we, hey ?

No, the day Noades set the club up to pay rent to a third party , him / altonwood whoever, x number of 's had to be paid out every month/quarter that previosly stayed inside the club.

jone-zee
01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Wrong - it was the time day Goldberg failed to come up with the agreed cash to buy it (at the same time that he bought the club) was the root of the current problems. But let's all blame evil Ron Noades the baby-eater, shall we, hey ?

To be fair a lot of stuff about CPFC only became known to a majority during Admin.
How many actually knew (bedsides the few ITK) that The Ground was owned by Altonwood and CPFC was not the recipient of Rent from CAFC and then WFC even though it was inferred by RGN that We were?

Jack Regan
01-10-2009, 03:10 PM
But let's all blame evil Ron Noades the baby-eater, shall we, hey ?

Noades ran over a kitten I once owned, in one of his high powered top spec Jaguars.

Gazpacho
01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
To be fair a lot of stuff about CPFC only became known to a majority during Admin.
How many actually knew (bedsides the few ITK) that The Ground was owned by Altonwood and CPFC was not the recipient of Rent from CAFC and then WFC even though it was inferred by RGN that We were?

It was slipped in quietly to the Advertiser at the time it was happening. I forget when but no doubt someone has the info.

I think making Palace profitable under any regime has been a thankless task.

Stellavista
01-10-2009, 03:59 PM
It was slipped in quietly to the Advertiser at the time it was happening. I forget when but no doubt someone has the info.

I think making Palace profitable under any regime has been a thankless task.

Sorry, but you're wrong.
Ron did have the decency to explain what he was doing and why he was doing it in a matchday programme.

DocSavage
01-10-2009, 04:07 PM
but ron must be 95 by now

and i understand from the staff that the only joy he now has is reading this site

Matt_Hep
01-10-2009, 04:08 PM
please be Noades

AJ
01-10-2009, 04:09 PM

That's what really turn me off Noades. I think Noades was a good chairman for Palace actually, but, it was his business dealings that benefited him which I found out about later than make me dislike him. I knew the ground had been seperated from the day to day running of the club, but, never did I think the ground had been put into a company totally outside the club. The CAFC and WFC groundshare really irked me, as I recall when the CAFC was announced and RN stated how it benefited Palace. Well technically it did, as Palace's rent(which at the time, I didn't know the club was paying rent)went down, but, all money from Charlton and then Wimbledon went to Altonwood, not to Palace.

I have no worries about RN running Palace successfully, it's just what he would take with him when he leaves again.

DocSavage
01-10-2009, 04:11 PM
That's what really turn me off Noades. I think Noades was a good chairman for Palace actually, but, it was his business dealings that benefited him which I found out about later than make me dislike him. I knew the ground had been seperated from the day to day running of the club, but, never did I think the ground had been put into a company totally outside the club. The CAFC and WFC groundshare really irked me, as I recall when the CAFC was announced and RN stated how it benefited Palace. Well technically it did, as Palace's rent(which at the time, I didn't know the club was paying rent)went down, but, all money from Charlton and then Wimbledon went to Altonwood, not to Palace.

I have no worries about RN running Palace successfully, it's just what he would take with him when he leaves again.
not upsetting wright and bright then?

AJ
01-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Sorry, but you're wrong.
Ron did have the decency to explain what he was doing and why he was doing it in a matchday programme.

I am pretty sure he didn't write something along the lines of..."I will sell the ground to a company called Altonwood, which is owned by me, but, it not associated with CPFC. Then I will have my Altonwood company charge Crystal Palace football club rent to use Selhurst Park. If another team needs to co-share the ground with Palace, I, as in my Altonwood company will charge them rent too. In the meantime"

palacemaniac
01-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Sorry, but you're wrong.

Ron's matchday programme

"I'm screwing the club and making a shitload of money out of it"

dim
01-10-2009, 04:18 PM
It would be ironic if in these worrying times we do see Noades back,

considering thats the only part of him most fans ever wanted to see.

palacemaniac
01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
I'd say the day Jordan seperated it even further has done more damage TBH

Noades f#cked things up for Palace by putting the ground in his name and then selling the club without the stadium for an exorbitant amount

Il Padrino
01-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Noades f#cked things up for Palace by putting the ground in his name and then selling the club without the stadium for an exorbitant amount

And jordan took it one step further away in a deal that suited his ego and his ego only as he could brag about how much he has got one over noades.

Ron was no angel, of that I'm sure, but Jordan certainly isnt any kind of saviour or messiah.

Stellavista
01-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Ron's matchday programme

"I'm screwing the club and making a shitload of money out of it"

I don't understand what the issue is here. I was simply correcting something that was factually wrong.

palacemaniac
01-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't understand what the issue is here. I was simply correcting something that was factually wrong.

No issue, except maybe with Noades

Stavros 69
01-10-2009, 05:04 PM
So it looks like I have come back to a massive cluster ****.
Is it all doom doom doom again????

AJ
01-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Putting aside any prejudices I may have. I believe the problem started in the last year Noades was in charge. Palace had been promoted and Palace spent heavily and brought in highly paid players. Palace were relegated and had a debt between 10-15m, as I understand it. Goldberg came in with good intentions, but, left any business sense somewhere else. After administration, Jordan came in and tbf, the club was stripped of a lot of players. Jordan made plenty of mistakes and the club is back in a bad financial state. Add into this the failure of money from the ITV(?) TV rights and the spiraling wages.
I honestly fear that the FL as we know it is in danger of collapse. In one respect, those going in Administration now maybe better off than those hanging on for another couple of years.

Stavros 69
01-10-2009, 07:24 PM
How much would it cost be to buy Palace?

AJ's right boot
01-10-2009, 07:28 PM
How much would it cost be to buy Palace?

ONE MILLION DOLLARS

http://www.canpages.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dr-evil.jpg

HRS
01-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I honestly fear that the FL as we know it is in danger of collapse. In one respect, those going in Administration now maybe better off than those hanging on for another couple of years.

Agree with this completly. Administration and financial troubles have over the last 20 years or so worked there way up from non league football through the entire football league and is even now starting to rear its head in the Premiership. Something has to be done.

SE25Eagle
01-10-2009, 07:31 PM
ONE MILLION DOLLARS

lol :lux: :D :p :p

The Bishop
01-10-2009, 07:47 PM
ONE MILLION DOLLARS

Isn't that one of Uncle Ron's sons?.

AJ
01-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Agree with this completly. Administration and financial troubles have over the last 20 years or so worked there way up from non league football through the entire football league and is even now starting to rear its head in the Premiership. Something has to be done.

Nothing will be done unless the Glaziers go into bankruptcy and MU(the club) is forced to go into Administration. In some respects, the rest of football need to stand up to the big 4 and refuse to televise their games against them and sell players to them, but, that'll never happen.

jhc
01-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Nothing will be done unless the Glaziers go into bankruptcy and MU(the club) is forced to go into Administration. In some respects, the rest of football need to stand up to the big 4 and refuse to televise their games against them and sell players to them, but, that'll never happen.

The Premier League has been a disaster for football, unless you happen to be one of those clubs who manage to stay in it!

DocSavage
01-10-2009, 08:43 PM
i can afford 53.50 but am going to wasps sunday so all funds in rapid decline

no, i'm not serious but honestly who hasn't missed his rent?

Palace Kebab
01-10-2009, 09:02 PM

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story! Noades sold the whole club with the ground. It was only when things went tits up under Goldberg that Noades ended up keeping the ground as Goldberg couldn't afford to pay for it

<_tece_>
01-10-2009, 09:23 PM

Can you imagine if he HAD sold the ground to Goldberg... :eek:

Edit: In the situation that Goldberg royally fooked things up, Palace may not have been playing at Selhurst for the last 10 years.

Palace Kebab
01-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Can you imagine if he HAD sold the ground to Goldberg... :eek:

sorry to labour the point...but he did

philsick
01-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Football is a reflection of society.A massive wealth divide,with alot getting in debt to try and climb their way up the ladder and compete with the big boys.Only those with limitless wealth will be ok.The wealthy ones hold all the power and are further empowered by the media.

The premier league, sky sports and various billionares have taken the sport away from the working class and made it a toy for the wealthy and passionless armchair fodder for the masses.

hughff
01-10-2009, 10:10 PM
1. The whole "trust bashing" annoys me.

Despite SW16's sig, the trust, by its nature, is at its most significant during times of crisis. In the last month or so, it has emerged that the club doesn't pay wages owed (at least until someone takes legal action), doesn't pay transfer fees owed and doesn't pay rent owed. This looks suspiciously like "crisis" to me. The trust could well become a player in the club's near future.

Furthermore, the trust, again by its nature, draws on the more pessimistic of fans. Of course they're going to notice the doom and gloom. However, the fact that they are involved in the trust is evidence that they really do care about the club and are prepared to give their time and talent for the club and more than most of us do.

2. The xenophobia on here borders on the offensive.

I'm not British but I love Palace. My last ancestor who was born in Britain died in the 19th Century, though my father in law was a Brit. Yet on this thread we have a slew of posters saying how much they'd hate it if "Johnny Foreigner" took over, especially if he was an Arab. Well Goldberg was British and a fan (and so is Jordan) and how well did that work out?

While I find the Premier Prostitution League a fart in the face of fair play and sporting competition, it isn't because of foreign ownership; it's because the league is now decided by bank balance. I'd rather not end up as the next Chelsea but if the choice is between Manchester City or Newport County, I'd rather the Blue Moon.

orp pisshead1
01-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Very good post huff

<_tece_>
01-10-2009, 10:55 PM
sorry to labour the point...but he did

I saw your post a little later!

I guess the nuances of the agreement aren't too relevant to my initial point; being that if Ron hadn't kept the ground/taken it back/renegotiated it with Goldberg/administrators, we could be in a far worse position right now!

audreytatou
02-10-2009, 04:23 AM
1. The whole "trust bashing" annoys me.

Despite SW16's sig, the trust, by its nature, is at its most significant during times of crisis. In the last month or so, it has emerged that the club doesn't pay wages owed (at least until someone takes legal action), doesn't pay transfer fees owed and doesn't pay rent owed. This looks suspiciously like "crisis" to me. The trust could well become a player in the club's near future.

Furthermore, the trust, again by its nature, draws on the more pessimistic of fans. Of course they're going to notice the doom and gloom. However, the fact that they are involved in the trust is evidence that they really do care about the club and are prepared to give their time and talent for the club and more than most of us do.

I'm not British but I love Palace. My last ancestor who was born in Britain died in the 19th Century, though my father in law was a Brit. Yet on this thread we have a slew of posters saying how much they'd hate it if "Johnny Foreigner" took over, especially if he was an Arab. Well Goldberg was British and a fan (and so is Jordan) and how well did that work out?

While I find the Premier Prostitution League a fart in the face of fair play and sporting competition, it isn't because of foreign ownership; it's because the league is now decided by bank balance. I'd rather not end up as the next Chelsea but if the choice is between Manchester City or Newport County, I'd rather the Blue Moon.
Nice one mate agreed

Eye-dee
02-10-2009, 05:10 AM
[B] Yet on this thread we have a slew of posters saying how much they'd hate it if "Johnny Foreigner" took over, especially if he was an Arab. Well Goldberg was British and a fan (and so is Jordan) and how well did that work out?

I really don't think these comments are Xenophobic or racist, well not intentionally.

I think it is because of what has happened to clubs like Chelsea, and what is about to happen to Manchester City, where some non-English, non-football rich guys have taken over the clubs purely as a hobby or to make huge sums of money. One tends to associate arabs with the super-rich, I don't think any offence is meant.

If Palace gets taken over by a super-rich, English or whatever, and we start just buying success, it will be a sad day.

dannyturner
02-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Yeah, cause the Man City fans look really upset about things. It's modern day foortball and we just have to accept it.

It's better to be skint and know you are then be a QPR, who have pots of money but nobody knows how to spend it.

DocSavage
02-10-2009, 05:43 AM
so who's taking the club over then?

when?

will they sell cheaper beer?

or better still good wine on match days, perhaps an oyster bar in the main stand?

now I'm getting excited

Polish Prancer
02-10-2009, 06:43 AM
so who's taking the club over then?

when?

will they sell cheaper beer?

or better still good wine on match days, perhaps an oyster bar in the main stand?

now I'm getting excited

One step at a time, something edible available in the Holmesdale would be a good start

cpfc4evandeva
02-10-2009, 06:53 AM

Totally disagree. I would much rather have someone from the local area who at least has some knowledge on the club and knows some history.

Barring Randy Lerner (sp?) I can't think of one foreign owner that I'd be pleased to have at the club - THIS INCLUDES ABRAMOVICH AND THE MAN CITY BLOKE.

It isn't racism, I'd just like the club to remain similar to how it is today - fun, ridiculous and preferably with a lifelong Palace fan in charge. I'm sure you realise that the chance of having someone from New Zealand, America, Saudi Arabia or wherever taking over and being a lifelong Palace fan is pretty damn remote.

If a rich owner came in and took us places I know I would still go and would still enjoy it. Especially if we made into Europe. I think even if Hitler were in charge I'd still go.

But would I enjoy walking round Crawley and such places and suddenly seeing everyone in Palace shirts? I can tell you now that the answer is no. And the reason is not because I don't want to share the Holmesdale with new fans (our attendances badly need improvement) - it is because these souless morons in their replica shirts would never visit the Holmesdale. They would simply tune into Sky Sports and watch our games and then profess to being lifelong fans whilst never hearing of players such as Aki Riihilahti, Dean Austin and Matty Lawrence. They would soon clear off at the first sign of trouble and I would probably be quite happy.

You also have to look at the otherside of the coin with foreign owners in that if things do not go right, they go badly wrong. Portsmouth are simply screwed for example.

If a foreign owner came in I would not mind at all as long as they kept the club simliar to how it is now or improved us a bit. Problem is, I feel that a foreign owner would not find it difficult to just walk away from us and leave us in a shedload of shit compared to a local lifelong Palace fan.

DocSavage
02-10-2009, 07:36 AM
One step at a time, something edible available in the Holmesdale would be a good start
hmmmph

i blame it on all them foreigners myself send in the redcoats

sydnsteve
02-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Noades was a businessman, and he screwed the club over by bankrupting Goldberg, who had a Walter Mitty complex. Got not time for the silver parasite, but other than his last year, when ironically he overspent to try and stay up (which most fans would presumably have wanted), rather than accept we'd go down and balance the books accordingly, Palace did ok financially as far as I can see. Goldberg was a complete disaster as he lived utterly in la la land, and SJ has also turned out to be pretty poor at running a football club. The balancing of the books that he is doing now should have been done from the start, and SC should have been left to get on with it.

Noades would not be great news, but administration would be worse. However, I can't see why on earth RN would want the club, it is a liability and he exists to make money.

SE25Eagle
02-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Im a fan of SJ but i'd have Ron Noades back tomorrow tbh.....

jone-zee
02-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Sorry, but you're wrong.

I would wager the 1st the majority knew about 'Altonwood' was circa 1998/99.
I would be interested to see what was written SV. Im surprised it wasnt more widelly reported either considering how unique it was (lets face it there were numerous features on On the Ball/Football Focus/Saint and Greavesy when the Caravanners 1st rolled in).
RGN didnt exactly correct anyone that claimed Palace were the recipriants of the rent though.

Also what happened to the rent that Palace were paying to Altonwood on this scam... er.I mean Scheme?

palacemaniac
02-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Im a fan of SJ but i'd have Ron Noades back tomorrow tbh.....

I met Noades at a wedding a few years back and I just wanted to hit the guy

DocSavage
02-10-2009, 08:13 AM

you have friends or family connections with this man?:eek:

Eye-dee
02-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Yeah, cause the Man City fans look really upset about things. It's modern day foortball and we just have to accept it.

It's better to be skint and know you are then be a QPR, who have pots of money but nobody knows how to spend it.

True Man City fans will find out soon enough what will happen to their club when the Prawn Sandwich brigade move in and prices go through the roof.

Sure Chelsea are successful and rich, but they are like New Labour, nothing like the original. They were happy to sell their soul by buying success. Man City are doing the same.

I love Palace as it is, and I want to earn success through football, not because we have more money than someone else. Of course a club needs money to survive, but the limits of decency are being smashed time and again in The Premiership.

palacemaniac
02-10-2009, 08:29 AM
you have friends or family connections with this man?:eek:

Yeah, he's friends with my mother's cousins

Baloo
02-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Bless. We're now into the generation of fans who do not recall Palace's best years ever (FA Cup Final, 3rd in top division). And therefore do not recall that those days were under Ron Noades' stewardship.

Oops, here we go again.

jone-zee
02-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Bless. We're now into the generation of fans who do not recall Palace's best years ever (FA Cup Final, 3rd in top division). And therefore do not recall that those days were under Ron Noades' stewardship.

Oops, here we go again.

Ah yes 'When We finished 3rd' .............when the usually gobby RGN suddenly developed a mute condition.

palacemaniac
02-10-2009, 09:27 AM

Oops, here we go again.

I know it was our most succesfull period, but he stole our ground

hughff
02-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Respectfully, Eye-dee, I disagree. As a non-Brit it's something I've been aware of from very early on in my BBS life and this is merely one manifestation of it.

There are many BBSers who go on about the need to sign Brits, how foreigners don't make it in Britain, especially in "our" league. The reality is that, if you look at the "best" team of the last decade, probably half the players would be foreigners eg Speroni, Aki, Sorondo. Yet I've consistently seen BBSers criticise foreigners far more than Brits of more modest talent. The most obvious example recently was Berhalter, who coped endless flack and was never really given a settled run yet was good enough to cope with the best attackers in the world for the USA at the world cup.

I love that Palace fans support their local club instead of whichever team gets the most screen time, but we could be more global in our acceptance of players.

cpfc4evandeva
02-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Respectfully, Eye-dee, I disagree. As a non-Brit it's something I've been aware of from very early on in my BBS life and this is merely one manifestation of it.

There are many BBSers who go on about the need to sign Brits, how foreigners don't make it in Britain, especially in "our" league. The reality is that, if you look at the "best" team of the last decade, probably half the players would be foreigners eg Speroni, Aki, Sorondo. Yet I've consistently seen BBSers criticise foreigners far more than Brits of more modest talent. The most obvious example recently was Berhalter, who coped endless flack and was never really given a settled run yet was good enough to cope with the best attackers in the world for the USA at the world cup.

I love that Palace fans support their local club instead of whichever team gets the most screen time, but we could be more global in our acceptance of players.

Hang on a sec, you mention 3 players there - Aki, Sorondo and Speroni - they've been treated very well by virtually all Palace fans. So have plenty of other foreign players.

Shit players whether they are foreign or British will get abuse from the crowd. For every Valerian Ismael there are at least 3 Brit players who cop just as much abuse.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with your post and think you are being very paranoid.

DocSavage
02-10-2009, 10:07 AM

nah they should all come from a 15 mile radius of the club they play for

DocSavage
02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
and clubs should also be owned by the local head of the criminal fraternity

Al From Bromley
02-10-2009, 10:15 AM

How's it go? Oh yeah......ciao! ;)

hughff
02-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I would much rather have someone from the local area who at least has some knowledge on the club and knows some history.

Mark Goldberg and Simon Jordan. Both have local knowledge but one is the only person to take the club into bankruptcy and the other is fast becoming the second. History counts for nothing because they bith seemed to want to play football manager and neither had the friendly AI or limitless funds to do it.
It isn't racism, I'd just like the club to remain similar to how it is today - fun, ridiculous and preferably with a lifelong Palace fan in charge. I'm sure you realise that the chance of having someone from New Zealand, America, Saudi Arabia or wherever taking over and being a lifelong Palace fan is pretty damn remote.

It sure looks like racism from the outside, I have to tell you. And I want the owners to ensure that the club survives first. Again, the two obvious fans who ruled the club in the last 25 years are the two who've come closest to ruining it.

But would I enjoy walking round Crawley and such places and suddenly seeing everyone in Palace shirts? I can tell you now that the answer is no. And the reason is not because I don't want to share the Holmesdale with new fans (our attendances badly need improvement) - it is because these souless morons in their replica shirts would never visit the Holmesdale. They would simply tune into Sky Sports and watch our games and then profess to being lifelong fans whilst never hearing of players such as Aki Riihilahti, Dean Austin and Matty Lawrence. They would soon clear off at the first sign of trouble and I would probably be quite happy.
True. Sad but true. That's why I hate the modern face of football. But I'd rather be on the inside than closed down.

You also have to look at the otherside of the coin with foreign owners in that if things do not go right, they go badly wrong. Portsmouth are simply screwed for example.

When it goes wrong for a club it seldom matters who's in charge. Goldberg wasn't a foreigner and we had it at least as bad as Pompey.

If a foreign owner came in I would not mind at all as long as they kept the club simliar to how it is now or improved us a bit. Problem is, I feel that a foreign owner would not find it difficult to just walk away from us and leave us in a shedload of shit compared to a local lifelong Palace fan.I feel that's exactly what the Palace fan in charge is doing, and getting us deeper and deeper in it by his actions.

Stavros 69
02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm happy to sell part of my soul to stay in this division. Would this mean I'd have to eat half a prawn sarnie and half a pork pie?

Celestial Empire
02-10-2009, 10:34 AM

This doesn't bear much relationship to the facts, with all due respect.
You would be surprised at how multi-ethnic the BBS is.
A large number of (particularly) young fans, would love Palace to get more exotic foreigners, (don't forget we have Speroni, Carle, Fonte, N'Diaye, Davis, Ertl), most of whom are fans favourites, as were Riihilaati, Fan, Sun and Lombardo. If you mean we should trawl the Euro leagues for talent, I agree, but lack of funds probably precludes that. We do have a good academy, finally, developing the rich talent in the local Afro-Caribbean community, which is all good.
Of course there are a few "careless" posters (you have to understand Brit humour), and a couple of real xenophobes, but in general, you are well off target, (you'll be pleased to know).

I have no doubt that, after a few days of bad jokes about his origins, a reasonably serious foreign owner would be well accepted, and there would be an immediate upturn of support.

cpfc4evandeva
02-10-2009, 10:50 AM
It sure looks like racism from the outside, I have to tell you. And I want the owners to ensure that the club survives first. Again, the two obvious fans who ruled the club in the last 25 years are the two who've come closest to ruining it.

I don't think Jordan has ruined the club at all, he's just running out of money.
I feel that's exactly what the Palace fan in charge is doing, and getting us deeper and deeper in it by his actions

What else can Jordan do? He's trying to sell the club so I I can't see how he's making any hole bigger.

Eye-dee
02-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Without going off at too much of a tangent Hughff, I was refering to the purchase of our clubs and the comments made about that.

stamford triumph
02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
This doesn't bear much relationship to the facts, with all due respect.
You would be surprised at how multi-ethnic the BBS is.
A large number of (particularly) young fans, would love Palace to get more exotic foreigners, (don't forget we have Speroni, Carle, Fonte, N'Diaye, Davis, Ertl), most of whom are fans favourites, as were Riihilaati, Fan, Sun and Lombardo. If you mean we should trawl the Euro leagues for talent, I agree, but lack of funds probably precludes that. We do have a good academy, finally, developing the rich talent in the local Afro-Caribbean community, which is all good.
Of course there are a few "careless" posters (you have to understand Brit humour), and a couple of real xenophobes, but in general, you are well off target, (you'll be pleased to know).

I have no doubt that, after a few days of bad jokes about his origins, a reasonably serious foreign owner would be well accepted, and there would be an immediate upturn of support.

Agree fully with this. In an ideal world we want somone who has a bit of empathy with us supporters and that's why people automatically have a preference for someone localish - we all support the club for varying reasons but we feel very much a part of it despite current attempts to disenfranchise us.

Its difficult to see how a rich Arab prince or Russian oligarch could have any empathy with us and therefore we don't oppose it on racial grounds but rather worry about just becoming a rich person's toy or worse still some kind of corporate franchise that has no relationship to its locality and could just as easily be uprooted somewhere else. I am sure many of us would still come although I would draw the line at someone like Gaddafi or someone with an equally dodgy human rights record (didn't stop Man City supporters though).

SE25Eagle
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM

After reading some of your post's i feel the same about you......

;) :D

DocSavage
02-10-2009, 04:12 PM

;) :D

that's a hell of a long silence you left

palacemaniac
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM

http://www.8ball.co.uk/tshirts/letshugitout-girlsentouragetee_1_108769_navy-sky-blue-print_l.jpg

Embassy No.1
05-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Noades with backing from Brighty & Wrighty.

Heard it here first!

chatham_eagle
05-10-2009, 03:32 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Tabasco_sauce.jpg
?

Embassy No.1
05-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Pal who was in the Directors box v Sheff Wed.

chatham_eagle
05-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Perhaps Brighty joining the coaching staff was just an excuse to get a mole into the club?

eagles #1
05-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Heard it here first!
:D :p

jams1234
05-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Wrighty must have a fair few quid now as would Bright, all the TV work they're doing.

I've never supported Palace under Noades(14 :D), so would treat him exactly the same as I would treat any owner and decide my views based on the future, not the past.

Presuming this is true of course :)

Pub Idol
05-10-2009, 04:35 PM

Heard it here first!

Interesting. A Noades return would devide the support big time. With W&B there with him (as initial figure heads) then the supporter would be happier. I doubt W&B would put any money in but showing there faces would be enough I Imagine.

hilairehair
05-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Noades would get away with it having Wright and Bright on board. It's *extremely* good PR, the wily old fox.

thereichstuff
05-10-2009, 04:47 PM
As they say " no smoke without fire " Burn the old fu**er :veryangry

dim
05-10-2009, 04:47 PM
I am reminded of the parable of the good Samaritan. Although, tbf in some cases people regard this particular Samaritan as the one who done us up in the first place.

I guess when you are bleeding by the side of the road, you have to park prejudices.

dannyboy1807
05-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Wrighty and brighty hmmm

Son of Ron
05-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Wrighty and brighty hmmm

up front yes, still give our current strikers a run for their money (mind you thought Brighty was suddenly showing his age on MOTD last night).

but Wright and Bright in the boardroom ????!!!

dim
05-10-2009, 04:53 PM
up front yes, still give our current strikers a run for their money (mind you thought Brighty was suddenly showing his age on MOTD last night).

Laughed seeing Brighty sat next to Lee Dixon.... thinking of the time Brighty did him in front of the Arthur when he played for Stoke....

Tony
05-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Weighty must have a fair few quid now as would Bright, all the TV work they're doing.

Weighty? We're talking about Ian Wright, not Andy Gray!

jams1234
05-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry, I was on my iPod! :D

jams1234
05-10-2009, 05:16 PM

They would probably play a big role in getting players in, I would assume, with the majority of the financial decisions to be made by RN. Maybe even a coaching partnership? :D

IAN WALSH
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
with the majority of the financial decisions to be made by RN. :D
i think uncle Ron would want a bit more than a majority of the decisions:hmph:

jams1234
05-10-2009, 05:20 PM
i think uncle Ron would want a bit more than a majority of the decisions:hmph:
Being called uncle is always a good sign. In stories it always is named after the friendly, compassionate character :)

old simmo
05-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Perhaps i will wait to get my season ticket [i have already wrote out the cheque !]-not sure if it happens i will want to be part of it

chatham_eagle
05-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Why would he want to buy the club anyway, not like he owns the ground anymore and as some suggest we're hardly an attractive proposition. Is it just about getting one over Jordan, getting him to beg RN to buy the club?

dim
05-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Why would he want to buy the club anyway, not like he owns the ground anymore and as some suggest we're hardly an attractive proposition. Is it just about getting one over Jordan, getting him to beg RN to buy the club?

Yeah, but Palace have potential - They say so in the Times of London:

AJ
05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I doubt RN has the resources to fund Palace on his own. If he thinks he can run and fund it the same way he did in 1980, then Palace will probably end up in League 2.

James
05-10-2009, 06:16 PM
I have been one of Ron's principle apologists on the BBS over the years, but I have to say that it would be an enormous mistake should he seriously consider a return in any capacity (other, perhaps, than advisory).

I haven't spoken to him for months, but last time I did so, he assured me that nothing would persuade him to return. He obviously knows that he is not well regarded by a significant proportion of the fan base - and he is astute enough to realise that football has changed significantly since he was last at the helm. You need many, many millions to keep a football club like Palace afloat these days, let alone mount a serious bid for promotion. His Golf Clubs are doing well, and he seems to be enjoying life. Why would he want to spoil all that?

jams1234
05-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Is Noades a Palace fan btw?

thereichstuff
05-10-2009, 06:25 PM
I have been one of Ron's principle apologists on the BBS over the years, but I have to say that it would be an enormous mistake should he seriously consider a return in any capacity (other, perhaps, than advisory).

I haven't spoken to him for months, but last time I did so, he assured me that nothing would persuade him to return. He obviously knows that he is not well regarded by a significant proportion of the fan base - and he is astute enough to realise that football has changed significantly since he was last at the helm. You need many, many millions to keep a football club like Palace afloat these days, let alone mount a serious bid for promotion. His Golf Clubs are doing well, and he seems to be enjoying life. Why would he want to spoil all that?Exactly , keep away noades !

ANDYEAGLE
05-10-2009, 06:31 PM

No he is only a fan of money

cpfcfan1
05-10-2009, 06:46 PM
David Sullivan, who is set to stand down as a director of Birmingham City, has denied planning a move to buy West Ham United.

Off the bbc gossip page.

jams1234
05-10-2009, 06:51 PM
David Sullivan, who is set to stand down as a director of Birmingham City, has denied planning a move to buy West Ham United.

Off the bbc gossip page.
Full article:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1218106/David-Sullivan-denies-West-Ham-takeover-rumours-selling-Birmingham-stake.html

David Sullivan denies West Ham takeover rumours after selling Birmingham stake

David Sullivan insists he has not lined-up a bid to buy West Ham United as he prepares to end his 16-year reign at Birmingham City.

Sullivan is to formally stand down as a Birmingham director after selling his stake in the club to Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung.

Sullivan has been linked with a move to buy West Ham but he said: 'I'm not in negotiation with anybody. Until I am out of Birmingham, nothing. I do love football, but the problem is when you look around most clubs are in such a mess.'

I wonder, is that last bit a dig at us?

Typical Palace
05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
In a way I guess; he still watches games and keeps a close eye out.

Historically he was a Derby fan. Not sure why.

New LP
05-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Full article:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1218106/David-Sullivan-denies-West-Ham-takeover-rumours-selling-Birmingham-stake.html

I wonder, is that last bit a dig at us?

It's a quite reasonable statement of fact if we're honest and could be applied to a large number of clubs, ourselves and West Ham included.

New LP
05-10-2009, 10:20 PM
We all have our views on Noades, but lets be honest he just simply doesn't have the capital to make a real impact that is needed in todays game. It is a totally different environment from what it was in the 1980's and 90's.

hdeagle
05-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Any fan who attended the Geoff Thomas Night at the Fairfield Halls will have witnessed that Ron Noades and Ian Wright spoke highly of Crystal Palace and do have genuine feelings for the club.

A lot of younger Palace fans have jumped on the we hate Ron Noades band-wagon when they were probably not even old enough to remember his largely successful period as Palace Chairman.

cpfcfan1
06-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Birmingham co-owner David Sullivan has told West Ham he will only buy the club if the price is reduced because of the debt he would be taking on - and could invest in Norwich, Ipswich, Cardiff, Leicester or Charlton if he cannot strike a deal
Full story: Daily Mirror

palacemaniac
06-10-2009, 07:51 AM
A lot of younger Palace fans have jumped on the we hate Ron Noades band-wagon when they were probably not even old enough to remember his largely successful period as Palace Chairman.

True

palacemaniac
06-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Birmingham co-owner David Sullivan has told West Ham he will only buy the club if the price is reduced because of the debt he would be taking on - and could invest in Norwich, Ipswich, Cardiff, Leicester or Charlton if he cannot strike a deal
Full story: Daily Mirror

No mention of Palace, are we really such an unattractive proposition? :(

jhc
06-10-2009, 09:09 AM

Sadly, with all the debt we're in, and the fact that we don't own the ground (or training ground), Palace must be the least attractive of all the clubs that are currently up for sale. So the answer to your question is - Yes.

Our running costs are too high and our income too low (long term season ticket money which has already been spent, hasn't helped on that account!)
Attendances that have fallen dramatically in recent years, must make it less appealing of late.

Huge investment is needed in the ground to bring it up to the standard of our main competitors.
I wish it wasn't the case, but Palace looks to be a bad buy unless the Chairman is prepared to virtually give it away and write off the debt owed to him.
We will be treading water while he is prepared to financially support the business in its current state. In the meantime he must be hoping for a miracle that NW can get us promotion with limited investment in the team; or that someone comes in with an offer that he can't refuse. Despite all the rumours that doesn't seem likely does it?
If there was someone out there prepared to buy the club, it would have happened by now.

CPFC_DAVE77
06-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Sadly, with all the debt we're in, and the fact that we don't own the ground (or training ground), Palace must be the least attractive of all the clubs that are currently up for sale. So the answer to your question is - Yes.

Our running costs are too high and our income too low (long term season ticket money which has already been spent, hasn't helped on that account!)
Attendances that have fallen dramatically in recent years, must make it less appealing of late.

Huge investment is needed in the ground to bring it up to the standard of our main competitors.
I wish it wasn't the case, but Palace looks to be a bad buy unless the Chairman is prepared to virtually give it away and write off the debt owed to him.
We will be treading water while he is prepared to financially support the business in its current state. In the meantime he must be hoping for a miracle that NW can get us promotion with limited investment in the team; or that someone comes in with an offer that he can't refuse. Despite all the rumours that doesn't seem likely does it?
If there was someone out there prepared to buy the club, it would have happened by now.

Can someone say something to cheer me up, i'm quite depressed now, although I know deep down what your saying is probably all true :(

Richard
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
The following quote may give a clue:-

Sullivan has been linked with a move to buy West Ham but he said: 'I'm not in negotiation with anybody. Until I am out of Birmingham, nothing. I do love football, but the problem is when you look around most clubs are in such a mess.'

Richard
06-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Can someone say something to cheer me up, i'm quite depressed now, although I know deep down what your saying is probably all true :(
Perversely, the longer Simon Jordan holds off paying the rent, the lower the price for the freehold becomes. Apparently.

cranesparkeagle
06-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Any fan who attended the Geoff Thomas Night at the Fairfield Halls will have witnessed that Ron Noades and Ian Wright spoke highly of Crystal Palace and do have genuine feelings for the club.

I am old enough and I accept what you say but it was also a time of missed opportunities. The point also remains that when he left he cleaned us out. We also made the premier league after Noades left, in much less favorable circumstances.

Psychokiller
06-10-2009, 09:49 AM

1. Noades used the club as a cash cow. Of course he's going to speak highly of it - it funded his poxy golf courses.

2. A lot of us were supporters through his tenure too, and he preferred to pocket the money than take us on to the next level.

dim
06-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Well brought a smile to my face - the photo especially:

swissroll
06-10-2009, 10:02 AM

I think many of us have known that for some time. Question is whats worse for SJ. Write it all off or hang on and hope for a miracle as the debts get worse?, kind of a S**t or bust strategy.

Pub Idol
06-10-2009, 10:07 AM
It would be useful for the trust to meet with RGN and find out the score.

Questions -

Is he interested in buying the club ?

Is he interested in being part of a consortuim or raising one ?

Would he be interested in the helping of running or selling the club? Can he help (basically)

If the answers to the above are all no and not interested ever we can all move on and forget about it.

Chris K
06-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Why? The phone call would go along the lines of:

Trust: Hi Uncle Ron, There's some completely baseless rumours on the internet about you buying Palace, fancy lunch?
Uncle Ron (played by Monty Burns): James, release the hounds
*SW16Girl gets chased off by some Alsations
Uncle Ron: Excellent

kolinkins
06-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Thats a good point about a role the trust can play - rumours are no good for anyone, so would it be possible for the trust to contact Ron and find out the truth? Not that we can expect the truth from him (not because he is Ron, but because he is a business man)

James has said so many times that it will not happen, that it is bound to

GoodFriday69
06-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Well brought a smile to my face - the photo especially:
Which one's the Pope? :D

Richard
06-10-2009, 10:40 AM
2. A lot of us were supporters through his tenure too, and he preferred to pocket the money than take us on to the next level.On a slight tangent (and ignoring the fact that nobody has ever produced evidence of Noades pocketing any money outside (I'm guessing) a reasonable salary etc. during his time at the club), what clubs have "moved on to the next level" ?

The only club I can think of is Chelsea, who have done so through two sugar-daddies. The other clubs habitually at the top of the top league are the usual very well-supported suspects - Moan Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs & Villa have always had far superior income from their active and latent support.

A lot of clubs have burned like fireworks - and faded - Leeds being the best example of "betting the farm" and failing.

I suppose that Newcastle, Bolton, Boro, Blackburn (kick-started by a sugar-daddy), West Ham, Fulham (sugar-daddy) and possibly Portsmouth have now established themselves as solid clubs with good Premiership aspirations, but they have done this through establishing themselves as yo-yo clubs first - a level that Noades had got Palace to, through prudent financial management.

I know I'm not going to change your mind, but it's always struck me that clubs like Palace will only move up levels through slow and well-managed progression over a number of years. Sure, a sugar-daddy or an exceptional manager or group of players will enable a club to punch above its weight for a period, but the way that football works (and let's not forget that it is only a sport !) is such that it is very rash to gamble when you're at the top of the tree unless you have very strong revenue streams or a sugar-daddy to underwrite the financial position when things don't go well on the pitch, rather than having to sell players rapidly.

hong_kong_hg
06-10-2009, 10:44 AM
...I still struggle with this [anti-Noades] attitude. Is there any evidence that Uncle Ron actually took disproportionate amounts of money out of the club (if we accept that he was entitled to the salary & perks etc. that any owner/chairman would be entitled to) ?

There is this myth amongst some on the BBS that Noades was constantly fleecing the club but [...] I've never seen any evidence that he took money he shouldn't have out of the club. Yes, he was somewhat stingey in the way that he ran the club, but that is actually the only way to make a club the size and aspirations of palace viable [...]

The separation of club and ground such that the club paid rent to another company whilst Noades was chairman and for years afterwards - this can in no way be interpreted as in the best interests of CPFC. It was a simple exercise of taking money out of the club.

You can argue that it was a "perk" of his chairmanship. You can argue that rent was never disproportionate and that he was never "fleecing" the club. But those (James!) who argue Ron had the best interest of the club at heart are talking nonsense. Asking the club to pay rent to play on its own ground over many years simply impoverished the club, instead of allowing it to invest further in its own interests.

So yes, there is clear evidence he took money out of the club he "shouldn't have".

New LP
06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
On a slight tangent (and ignoring the fact that nobody has ever produced evidence of Noades pocketing any money outside (I'm guessing) a reasonable salary etc. during his time at the club), what clubs have "moved on to the next level" ?

The only club I can think of is Chelsea, who have done so through two sugar-daddies. The other clubs habitually at the top of the top league are the usual very well-supported suspects - Moan Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs & Villa have always had far superior income from their active and latent support.

A lot of clubs have burned like fireworks - and faded - Leeds being the best example of "betting the farm" and failing.

I suppose that Newcastle, Bolton, Boro, Blackburn (kick-started by a sugar-daddy), West Ham, Fulham (sugar-daddy) and possibly Portsmouth have now established themselves as solid clubs with good Premiership aspirations, but they have done this through establishing themselves as yo-yo clubs first - a level that Noades had got Palace to, through prudent financial management.

I know I'm not going to change your mind, but it's always struck me that clubs like Palace will only move up levels through slow and well-managed progression over a number of years. Sure, a sugar-daddy or an exceptional manager or group of players will enable a club to punch above its weight for a period, but the way that football works (and let's not forget that it is only a sport !) is such that it is very rash to gamble when you're at the top of the tree unless you have very strong revenue streams or a sugar-daddy to underwrite the financial position when things don't go well on the pitch, rather than having to sell players rapidly.

Leeds, who finished 4th the season we finished 3rd invested some money that summer and won the title the next season. And Leeds' subsequent situation years later under Risdale has nothing to do with that, before this is used as an argument to defend Noades here. Noades failed to do this, Wright was sold and the decline started. Obviously PK's post was about football at that time and situation at Palace at that time. So talking about what happened at Blackburn with Walker 6 years later, or even more so, Abramovic now etc is irrelevant because that applies to the game post Premier League which is obviously a very different thing. At that time with a little investment and ambition Palace could of played in Europe and won a serious trophy, lets not forget that we were still competing in the old first division. It probably wouldn't of lasted but Palace could of had some real tangible success and this is why many fans who were there then resent Noades. Equally the lessons weren't learnt a few years later when we won promotion as Champions and again investment in players was held back until it was too late. Noades' 'prudency' only ulitmately benefited him and his interests and this shouldn't be forgotten.

kolinkins
06-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Aside from that, it was his criminal underinvestment in 94/95 and then his sitting back and watching a mess unfold in 97/98 that really showed that he was in it for himself.

New LP
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM

There are many, many Palace fans who where there throughout Noades' time in charge at the club who disliked him then and dislike him now. In fact I'd say the majority did.

DocSavage
06-10-2009, 11:10 AM
So yes, there is clear evidence he took money out of the club he "shouldn't have".

why shouldn't he have had it????

it was his company to do with as and what he wished (full stop)

DocSavage
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
There are many, many Palace fans who where there throughout Noades' time in charge at the club who disliked him then and dislike him now. In fact I'd say the majority did.

that'll be me too

Il Padrino
06-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Aside from that, it was his criminal underinvestment in 94/95 and then his sitting back and watching a mess unfold in 97/98 that really showed that he was in it for himself.

As far as 97/98 goes, you're spot on. He really should have stayed around to act as a mentor to Goldberg and keep a closer eye on ehat was going on. Did you ever read the book 'Glad its over'?, Noades was quoted in there saying that he had hired a new assistant manager (I cant for the life of me remember who, but Kenny Sansom is ringing a bell for some reason) and had Gerry Francis lined up to come in as manager. Goldberg blocked both these and put Lombardo in charge.

New LP
06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
The separation of club and ground such that the club paid rent to another company whilst Noades was chairman and for years afterwards - this can in no way be interpreted as in the best interests of CPFC. It was a simple exercise of taking money out of the club.

You can argue that it was a "perk" of his chairmanship. You can argue that rent was never disproportionate and that he was never "fleecing" the club. But those (James!) who argue Ron had the best interest of the club at heart are talking nonsense. Asking the club to pay rent to play on its own ground over many years simply impoverished the club, instead of allowing it to invest further in its own interests.

And the rest; how about the large amount of club money spent acquiring the Streete Courte training ground? This no doubt made plenty of money for Noades personally, however where did it benefit Palace in any way? But we reached a point where the distinction between Palace money and Altonwood money had become blurred in all honesty.

Noades was a man who did some good things, of course, but he then repaid himself disproportionately for this over many years. Some may feel that is fair, after all he took us from crowds of 5,000 and mediocrity to a cup final and top flight football. Many may privately feel they'd of done the same. Fair enough. But for anyone to argue that his main motivation for being in football was because he loved Palace is deluded. And ultimately he chose to cash in, rather than take the club to the next level when the chance was there. And quite frankly for people to try and put a positive spin on this and talk about 'prudency' is laughable because the club declined after that, the whole multi million Premiership bandwagon had started and the chance was gone.

New LP
06-10-2009, 11:20 AM
that'll be me too

There just seems to be a convenient airbrushing of history by some of the pro Noades people on here that implies that everyone back then loved him, and all his critics are actually kids who weren't even there.

Gooders
06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Now I have absolutely no inside information but both Newcastle & Birmingham are about to be taken over and I would imagine that both sets of current owners would be looking to stay in football.

Possible?

Can't see any way that Ashley would want another football club.

kolinkins
06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
As far as 97/98 goes, you're spot on. He really should have stayed around to act as a mentor to Goldberg and keep a closer eye on ehat was going on. Did you ever read the book 'Glad its over'?, Noades was quoted in there saying that he had hired a new assistant manager (I cant for the life of me remember who, but Kenny Sansom is ringing a bell for some reason) and had Gerry Francis lined up to come in as manager. Goldberg blocked both these and put Lombardo in charge.

That season was crying our for managerial change in December/January at a time when Noades wanted to appoint Francis. With Goldberg being public about TV, nobody would ever have taken the job. Noades should have kept Goldberg in control. He didnt, he sat back and watched the nightmare unfold. It was like he took an attitude of "the fans want someone to splash the cash and me out, lets see how they like it". It was bordering on vindictive.

Il Padrino
06-10-2009, 11:32 AM
That season was crying our for managerial change in December/January at a time when Noades wanted to appoint Francis. With Goldberg being public about TV, nobody would ever have taken the job. Noades should have kept Goldberg in control. He didnt, he sat back and watched the nightmare unfold. It was like he took an attitude of "the fans want someone to splash the cash and me out, lets see how they like it". It was bordering on vindictive.

Yep, agree with all of that. We became a laughing stock before he came back and put himself in charge in a grand gesture of showing who is in control when there were 2 or 3 games left and we were dead in the water.

El Aguila
06-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Mind you, we were singing pretty rude songs about some of his family.

swissroll
06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Leeds, who finished 4th the season we finished 3rd invested some money that summer and won the title the next season. And Leeds' subsequent situation years later under Risdale has nothing to do with that, before this is used as an argument to defend Noades here. Noades failed to do this, Wright was sold and the decline started.

Theres no question in my mind Noades bottled it -we were offered Wallace then a hot property and he ended up doing excellent work at Leeds when they won the title. The team we had Noades could have taken a chance for one season and easily made back the money if it blew up. It wouldnt have lasted - the big 3 at the time would always have taken our best players - but it would have been very nice while it had.

Noades also failed to have a plan B. We knew Wright was going to leave but no-on had been doing the leg-work to have a top quality replacement lined up. A last minute bid on Shearer who was never going to come and then a panic buy on Gabbiadini.

Il Padrino
06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Noades also failed to have a plan B. We knew Wright was going to leave but no-on had been doing the leg-work to have a top quality replacement lined up. A last minute bid on Shearer who was never going to come and then a panic buy on Gabbiadini.

I'm not sure I agree with this part of your post (I did the first ). Surely it was Coppell who chose Wright's replacement? He certainly made enough comments about 'buying him from memory'

Psychokiller
06-10-2009, 12:02 PM
On a slight tangent (and ignoring the fact that nobody has ever produced evidence of Noades pocketing any money outside (I'm guessing) a reasonable salary etc. during his time at the club), what clubs have "moved on to the next level" ?

Who won the league the season after we finished third? Leeds United. Whose squad were in no way better than the one we'd finished 3rd with. Had Noades fought our corner for Europe and invested in the team the following year there's every chance we could have won the league. That's going on to the next level. But Noades didn't do either, he kept quiet out of self interest and spent little money - the likes of Lee Sinnott were never going to improve the side.

We missed a golden opportunity. Probably the only opportunity we'll ever have to win the major trophy. And it's Noades's fault. THAT'S why we hate him.

igl
06-10-2009, 12:05 PM
People are all to quick to look for someone to blame. The simple fact of the matter is, we do not have big enough crowds to become a 'big' club - as our revenue streams will never be big enough.
The only team in recent years that has managed to stay in the PL with small crowds is Wigan, and that is due mainly to Dave Whelan willing to pump his own money in.
To castigate RN for failings in 1994/1995 or 1997/98 seasons, is in my view, quite ignorant of the facts - as no one knows the true reasons for the lack of new players. Was it due to his reluctance to spend or was it due to Sir Steve saying he thought we didn't need any large investment ? Majority of people's opinions on here, are I'm sure, based on guesswork!?
And I'm neither pro or anti RN !

Budgie Byrne
06-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Thats about spot on. It should not be forgotten that there was a vocal number of fans who wanted RGN to go as quickly as possible. Mark Goldberg was seen as our Matthew Harding ( I wonder what mess Chelsea had got into if Matthew Harding had not been killed, certainly many Chelsea saw him as a better option than Ken Bates, there would have been a big power struggle no doubt) We should not forget that many saw Goldberg as the man to bring a golden new age to Palace. How quickly it all fell apart!

It says much about Ron that despite the bad feeling that many Palace fans had for him, he tried his best to help the club out of a terrible position post Goldberg. When after all the stick he had taken, he would have been far better off in terms of his bank balance if he had stood back and watched the club fold, then sold Selhurst off for development.

As James has already said elsewhere it is not possible to change peoples minds over Ron. All I can say is that having meet him a number of times and knowing from my own experiences and others I know and trust, is that Ron has great affection for Palace and without his stewardship we would never have enjoyed the success and thrills we had from the mid 80's until 1997. Indeed Steve Coppell would never have managed our club and there would not have been any Wright, Bright, Thomas, Super Al and all.

Psychokiller
06-10-2009, 12:11 PM
God you Noades sycophants are like a stuck record that conventiently jumps over the bit where he stole our ground from us and made a huge profit on it. Don't give me the bullshit about Noades having affection for Palace. HE STOLE OUR GROUND FFS!

kolinkins
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
To castigate RN for failings in 1994/1995 or 1997/98 seasons, is in my view, quite ignorant of the facts - as no one knows the true reasons for the lack of new players. Was it due to his reluctance to spend or was it due to Sir Steve saying he thought we didn't need any large investment ? Majority of people's opinions on here, are I'm sure, based on guesswork!?
And I'm neither pro or anti RN !

Ignorant of what facts? Who our manager was in 94/95 (it was Smith, not Sir Steve)?

The fact is that after getting promoted, we signed Preece, Wilkins and Pitcher. I am sorry, but that was never going to be good enough. Dowie and Houghton were signed too late, and in any case, he was happy to sit in the background and watch us be awful and go hours and hours without scoring (league) goals. He missed a chance to invest in a defining season - the league was going down to 20 teams was on the brink of being far more lucrative. Because if his lack of investment, we missed the chance to be part of that.

In 1997/98 - we bought a lot of players - Warhurst, Emblem, Lombardo, Miller, Padovano, Ismael, Bent, Jansen, Curcic, Herman, Jamie Smith (I probably missed some out [Brolin]). But the whole season (other than our away form at the start) was a shambles, and was crying out for leadership. The chairman did not provide any. The buck stops with him. had he intervened at the right time, the mess of administration may not have happened.

eagle mart
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
- the likes of Lee Sinnott were never going to improve the side..

That irks me. Didnt have to blow a load of money, but a couple of astute signings would have moved us onto the next level - we would have been serious title contenders. And back then sticking your neck out a bit once in a while wouldnt have put us into administration - or anything near. Ian wright would have probably stayed - the club imploded (again) from that point on.

Latvian Eagle
06-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Thats about spot on. It should not be forgotten that there was a vocal number of fans who wanted RGN to go as quickly as possible. Mark Goldberg was seen as our Matthew Harding ( I wonder what mess Chelsea had got into if Matthew Harding had not been killed, certainly many Chelsea saw him as a better option than Ken Bates, there would have been a big power struggle no doubt) We should not forget that many saw Goldberg as the man to bring a golden new age to Palace. How quickly it all fell apart!

It says much about Ron that despite the bad feeling that many Palace fans had for him, he tried his best to help the club out of a terrible position post Goldberg. When after all the stick he had taken, he would have been far better off in terms of his bank balance if he had stood back and watched the club fold, then sold Selhurst off for development.

As James has already said elsewhere it is not possible to change peoples minds over Ron. All I can say is that having meet him a number of times and knowing from my own experiences and others I know and trust, is that Ron has great affection for Palace and without his stewardship we would never have enjoyed the success and thrills we had from the mid 80's until 1997. Indeed Steve Coppell would never have managed our club and there would not have been any Wright, Bright, Thomas, Super Al and all.

Well said!

sydnsteve
06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
must be a tad quiet on the takeover front?

Psychokiller
06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
That irks me. Didnt have to blow a load of money, but a couple of astute signings would have moved us onto the next level - we would have been serious title contenders. And back then sticking your neck out a bit once in a while wouldnt have put us into administration - or anything near. Ian wright would have probably stayed - the club imploded (again) from that point on.
As I said, the Leeds squad that won the league that year were inferior to the one we finished 3rd with the previous season. All we needed were a couple more players and for Wright to stay and we'd probably have been there or thereabouts. Still, Noades came out of it all nicely with those golf courses, one of which was supposed to be the club's training ground - I wonder if Streete Court was bought with CPFC funds?

DocSavage
06-10-2009, 12:20 PM
There just seems to be a convenient airbrushing of history by some of the pro Noades people on here that implies that everyone back then loved him, and all his critics are actually kids who weren't even there.

I was head of the dislike list and tore up my season ticket when he said if we didn't like him stay away from "his club"

(but I'd only ever been to wimbledon to see palace!!!!!!)

Budgie Byrne
06-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Who won the league the season after we finished third? Leeds United. Whose squad were in no way better than the one we'd finished 3rd with. Had Noades fought our corner for Europe and invested in the team the following year there's every chance we could have won the league. That's going on to the next level. But Noades didn't do either, he kept quiet out of self interest and spent little money - the likes of Lee Sinnott were never going to improve the side.

We missed a golden opportunity. Probably the only opportunity we'll ever have to win the major trophy. And it's Noades's fault. THAT'S why we hate him.

No we missed out on Europe a year before by not winning the FA cup, that was not down to Noades. In fact it was Ron's stewardship and investment with Coppells talent that gave us a real chance of winning a major trophy.

While I was as upset as anybody that we did not make Europe in 1991, would it have seen the start of a golden era?

Look at the experience of Ipswich and Millwall in recent years. Europe was no dawn of a new golden age for them.

I think we dwell far too much on what might have been, when the reality was that we were not prepared for Europe in 1991. Also do not forget we had a chance in 97, but post Noades we did not take that chance either.

I agree that perhaps in retrospect we may have had another shot at the title in 92 had we invested during the summer of 91. However we could also have spent a lot of money and the new players no fitted in with the team and failed just the same.

Leeds of course have a history and huge support, they had the mental capacity and cash to invest, it was no real surprise they won the title.

At the end of the day I would much rather we made it into Europe through our own efforts not because Liverpool or any other team who finished above us with more points were banned.

You could of course sling just the same accusations at SJ for not investing in the team in January 05, when even a bit of cash spent on one or two quality loan players would no doubt have given us the one or two points we were short of to keep us in the premier league. In terms of money lost, that was far more costly than Ron not investing enough in 1991.

Psychokiller
06-10-2009, 12:23 PM
No we missed out on Europe a year before by not winning the FA cup, that was not down to Noades. In fact it was Ron's stewardship and investment with Coppells talent that gave us a real chance of winning a major trophy.

While I was as upset as anybody that we did not make Europe in 1991, would it have seen the start of a golden era?

Look at the experience of Ipswich and Millwall in recent years. Europe was no dawn of a new golden age for them.

I think we dwell far too much on what might have been, when the reality was that we were not prepared for Europe in 1991. Also do not forget we had a chance in 97, but post Noades we did not take that chance either.

I agree that perhaps in retrospect we may have had another shot at the title in 92 had we invested during the summer of 91. However we could also have spent a lot of money and the new players no fitted in with the team and failed just the same.

Leeds of course have a history and huge support, they had the mental capacity and cash to invest, it was no real surprise they won the title.

At the end of the day I would much rather we made it into Europe through our own efforts not because Liverpool or any other team who finished above us with more points were banned.

You could of course sling just the same accusations at SJ for not investing in the team in January 05, when even a bit of cash spent on one or two quality loan players would no doubt have given us the one or two points we were short of to keep us in the premier league. In terms of money lost, that was far more costly than Ron not investing enough in 1991.
Desperate.

Gooders
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
The only team in recent years that has managed to stay in the PL with small crowds is Wigan, and that is due mainly to Dave Whelan willing to pump his own money in.

Bolton? Fulham? Blackburn? Portsmouth?

Maz
06-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Bolton? Fulham? Blackburn? Portsmouth?The roads? Law and order? Sanitation?

Il Padrino
06-10-2009, 12:27 PM
You could of course sling just the same accusations at SJ for not investing in the team in January 05, when even a bit of cash spent on one or two quality loan players would no doubt have given us the one or two points we were short of to keep us in the premier league.

The Jordanites skip this point as much as the Noadists forget the ground seperation issue.

It came out in the court case that SJ wouldnt sanction the signing of Kanu or Carew, either of whom would have secured - at some point over the season - the two points we needed to stay up

Budgie Byrne
06-10-2009, 12:31 PM
As I said, the Leeds squad that won the league that year were inferior to the one we finished 3rd with the previous season. All we needed were a couple more players and for Wright to stay and we'd probably have been there or thereabouts. Still, Noades came out of it all nicely with those golf courses, one of which was supposed to be the club's training ground - I wonder if Streete Court was bought with CPFC funds?

Streete Court was always going to be a multi purpose site, including a golf course. Accomodation for new players (to save hotel bills) fishing centre, conference centre, hotel and more.

If I recall correctly at a lunch Ron hosted at Selhurst for sponsors of the club about 1994. He was asked about floating the club on the stock market and rightly he said that this would bring problems in the future as share prices would of course rise or fall. We have seen plenty of listed clubs have real money problems since those days.

Ron's proposal was that Palace would be part of a wider leisure group which included golf course and other aspects. The profits from these activities would be pumped into the football club to help it grow and remain strong.

I think if you take a step back and look at what happened in the late 90's and early 00's with the growth of the leisure sector, Palace may well have been well served and grown. It would also have meant that when Ron wanted to sell at some stage, the type of investors we would have attracted would have been far more well heeled than the ones we have seen these past 10 years or so. Altonwood as a group including Palace would have attracted some serious interest.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
06-10-2009, 12:32 PM
God you Noades sycophants are like a stuck record that conventiently jumps over the bit where he stole our ground from us and made a huge profit on it. Don't give me the bullshit about Noades having affection for Palace. HE STOLE OUR GROUND FFS!

:lux: :lux:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Psycokiller again.

;)

Budgie Byrne
06-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Sorry but with respect its your record that is stuck. Ron agreed a deal to sell the club including the freehold of Selhurst to Mark Goldberg. MG could not raise all the cash in one transaction, therefore he agreed with Ron a sum of money to buy the club and then an additional sum to buy the freehold. In fact it was this action that seperated the club from the ground.

Ron attempted to help MG buy the freehold even when he could not raise the money himself due to the fall of his companies shares which he wanted to sell to raise the money.

If Ron was so keen to keep the freehold then why did he try to help Goldberg and why did he also offer the Trust the opportunity to buy the freehold after SJ purchased the club and not the freehold?

IMHO SJ did not want the freehold, he had his eyes fixed on a deal elsewhere which never came about, why else would he have renegotiated the lease terms and in fact took a less attractive option than the one already in place?

Psychokiller
06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Streete Court was always going to be a multi purpose site, including a golf course. Accomodation for new players (to save hotel bills) fishing centre, conference centre, hotel and more.

If I recall correctly at a lunch Ron hosted at Selhurst for sponsors of the club about 1994. He was asked about floating the club on the stock market and rightly he said that this would bring problems in the future as share prices would of course rise or fall. We have seen plenty of listed clubs have real money problems since those days.

Ron's proposal was that Palace would be part of a wider leisure group which included golf course and other aspects. The profits from these activities would be pumped into the football club to help it grow and remain strong.

I think if you take a step back and look at what happened in the late 90's and early 00's with the growth of the leisure sector, Palace may well have been well served and grown. It would also have meant that when Ron wanted to sell at some stage, the type of investors we would have attracted would have been far more well heeled than the ones we have seen these past 10 years or so. Altonwood as a group including Palace would have attracted some serious interest.
Altonwood and Palace were two separate entities, with many of the assets belonging to CPFC being transferred to Altonwood to line his own pockets.

Psychokiller
06-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Sorry but with respect its your record that is stuck. Ron agreed a deal to sell the club including the freehold of Selhurst to Mark Goldberg. MG could not raise all the cash in one transaction, therefore he agreed with Ron a sum of money to buy the club and then an additional sum to buy the freehold. In fact it was this action that seperated the club from the ground.

Ron attempted to help MG buy the freehold even when he could not raise the money himself due to the fall of his companies shares which he wanted to sell to raise the money.

If Ron was so keen to keep the freehold then why did he try to help Goldberg and why did he also offer the Trust the opportunity to buy the freehold after SJ purchased the club and not the freehold?

IMHO SJ did not want the freehold, he had his eyes fixed on a deal elsewhere which never came about, why else would he have renegotiated the lease terms and in fact took a less attractive option than the one already in place?
Why did he seperate ground and club in the first place though? BTW the separation happened in 1986, not when Goldberg took over.

dim
06-10-2009, 12:47 PM
So, our only successes have been under the stewardship of a greedy selfish Chairman, who in doing what was good for him did Palace some good.

Whereas when we have been run by well meaning Palace fans we have been to financial hell and back....

So in any takeover, what option should a Palace fan back?

Les Butler
06-10-2009, 12:59 PM
To be honest give me that greedy selfish Mr. Burns/Noades who knew his biz inside out and with the success it brought than anything we have ever had before or after....

It's ludicrous to be so blinkered with what the man achieved with a club like ours.

You called at the time with abuse (and now) to Noades and his family to piss off..He did...Hows it working for us since he has gone ?

New LP
06-10-2009, 01:09 PM
To be honest give me that greedy selfish Mr. Burns/Noades who knew his biz inside out and with the success it brought than anything we have ever had before or after....

It's ludicrous to be so blinkered with what the man achieved with a club like ours.

You called at the time with abuse (and now) to Noades and his family to piss off..He did...Hows it working for us since he has gone ?

But ultimately what was that success? Promotion, a cup final appearance,
3rd in the league, the ZDS cup. Good achievements sure, but hardly worthy of the ridiculously sentimental support he gets from some and certainley not worthy of the millions he has made out of Palace over the years. And more down to the genius of Steve Coppell the manager who he ultimately failed to back when success was really within grasp.

Il Padrino
06-10-2009, 01:15 PM
3rd in the league, the ZDS cup. Good achievements sure, but hardly worthy of the ridiculously sentimental support he gets from some and certainley not worthy of the millions he has made out of Palace over the years. And more down to the genius of Steve Coppell the manager who he ultimately failed to back when success was really within grasp.

Its worth playing devils advocate here. Since he went we have had 12 managers in 11 years, been in administration, not got to a cup final or won a minor trophy, competed in the top flight for just the one season, got further away from our ground, been under two transfer embargos and told a few porkies on more than one occasion by various people. Was Noades a success? Compared to what has been since, the answer has to be yes

Perhaps whoever said a few posts up is right when they say it needs a rbusinessman, rather than a fan, to rule with an iron fist

Psychokiller
06-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Its worth playing devils advocate here. Since he went we have had 12 managers in 11 years, been in administration, not got to a cup final or won a minor trophy, competed in the top flight for just the one season, got further away from our ground, been under two transfer embargos and told a few porkies on more than one occasion by various people. Was Noades a success? Compared to what has been since, the answer has to be yes

Look how many managers Noades got through before he struck gold with Steve Coppell (who he appointed out of necessity more than anything because nobody else would go near the job).

jone-zee
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
So Noades Lovers, remind us what happened when he went to Brentford?
I seem to recall that a couple of Bees (Edmundo being one of them) used to come on here and at 1st were laughing and piss taking in a friendly sort of way about how We had Goldberg and they had won the Jackpot and the new Chairman was going to take them to the promised land. Now as I recall the tune was soon changed once the Ground was sold off to another Company who's name escapes Me.

250k is peanuts compared to what he stole from Brentford FC over the years he ran the club. It also acknowledges the fact that he can now earn interest on the 1m, so it's not that big a deal for him. He also gets his 1m cash guarantee released by Barclays.

Simple fact is that the bloke is a •••• and I can't wait to dance on his grave.

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?p=5264141#post5264141
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?p=42089#post42089

New LP
06-10-2009, 01:26 PM

Perhaps whoever said a few posts up is right when they say it needs a rbusinessman, rather than a fan, to rule with an iron fist

But I agree in a sense, Noades can always be justified as a success when looking at the shambolic way in which the club was pretty much run before and after his tenure. This is where he has always been lucky, well that and appointing Steve Coppell. However, people should look at the facts and look at his actions, many of which were motivated by personal greed more than anything else. It would be a sad day if he returned to Palace in any capacity. We need new ownership badly, but please lets not allow Noades to get his claws back in.

Psychokiller
06-10-2009, 01:27 PM
So Noades Lovers, remind us what happened when he went to Brentford?
I seem to recall that a couple of Bees (Edmundo being one of them) used to come on here and at 1st were laughing and piss taking in a friendly sort of way about how We had Goldberg and they had won the Jackpot and the new Chairman was going to take them to the promised land. Now as I recall the tune was soon changed once the Ground was sold off to another Company who's name escapes Me.

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?p=5264141#post5264141
Brentford when Noades took over - debt free
Brentford when Noades left - 6m in debt

All because Noades wanted to play at being football manager. When he got tired of his toy he left it to die. Yet he still has sycophants who say he's "good for us and good for football". All of whom conveniently skip over what he did to poor Brentford.

jone-zee
06-10-2009, 01:33 PM

All because Noades wanted to play at being football manager. When he got tired of his toy he left it to die. Yet he still has sycophants who say he's "good for us and good for football". All of whom conveniently skip over what he did to poor Brentford.

I put another link in that seems to tell the whole story from when he started to when he left.

Away Day Eagle
06-10-2009, 01:39 PM
I put another link in that seems to tell the whole story from when he started to when he left.

Ron had a decent couple of months October 2006 - January 2007.

Sold SP for 12million then recovers 2million from Brentford.

Budgie Byrne
06-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Look how many managers Noades got through before he struck gold with Steve Coppell (who he appointed out of necessity more than anything because nobody else would go near the job).

Not many in fact.

Started with Dario Gradi, who had a rough time from many Palace fans unfairly IMHO. If we had stuck with him, we may well have turned things around long before Sir Steve came along.

Steve Kember: Did good with little cash. However there were issues that created a problem. SK still became an important part of the backroom staff later on.

Alan Mullery: Yes a mistake, but then every chairman is allowed one.

Bassett: Bottled it.

Coppell: Masterstroke

Smith: was the right choice at the time and even the second season was despite relegation included two cup semi-finals.

Lewington/Nicholas an experiment that did not work, but laid foundations for a play off final

Bassett: Play off Semi Final

Coppell: Promotion and a great start to a premier league season.

From then on it went off the rails, but more to do with the takeover issue.

The only one I have an issue with was Mullery, otherwise a fair record I would say. Once the club was on firm foundations most of RGN's appointments achieved some success.

palacemaniac
06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Ron had a decent couple of months October 2006 - January 2007.

Sold SP for 12million then recovers 2million from Brentford.

:grrr:, the whole SP situation has harmed the club immensely

Les Butler
06-10-2009, 01:55 PM

There would be a hell of a lot of clubs like ours & fans that would have loved a taste of the achievements that we had plus the excitement that went with it, feck when people down-play Noades I guess they have to down-play the achievements as it would look like "kinda" misplaced criticism.

Budgie Byrne
06-10-2009, 01:58 PM

If this is the case why did Coppell (no mans mug) go there as manager and take them to a play off final. If you also look at the players they signed and then sold on at a profit, you see a very different picture to the one you paint.

Truth is that Brentford will never be able to progress at Griffin Park, its just too small. Noades with the help of the local council (unlike Croydon) found a site to build a new stadium. However to be able to finance the building of a new stadium he had to sell Griffin park and arranged a temp' ground share at Woking. He then put the option to the fans group who rejected the plan as they wanted Ron to finance the new stadium while satying at Griffin Park something that Ron could not do. So without the fans support he moved on.

Sometimes the fans of a club fail to see the big picture, but those in charge take the blame! We all moan about the big money men spoiling the game and in the next breath hanker for a rich sugar daddy to save Palace:rolleyes: