PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy full of praise for "man of the match" Butterfield

ZOHAR
06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
EAGLES defender Paddy McCarthy has heaped praise on "man of the match" Danny Butterfield for his performance against Blackpool.

Right back Butterfield was switched into the centre of defence at short notice for Saturday's 4-1 win over the Tangerines.

He comfortably held his own in the heart of the Eagles back line alongside McCarthy who was hugely impressed with his defensive colleague's versatility.
"He slotted in and made my job look easy," laughed the Irish centre back. "In my opinion he was the man of the match.

"We lost Jose (Fonte) not long before kick-off and the manager made the call to put Butts in there next to me and I thought he was outstanding.

"But that's typical of Danny really. He's a great lad to have around the dressing room and a great player to have alongside you as well.

"I thought he showed fantastic character to walk into a position he's not familiar with and look so comfortable."

McCarthy believes the Eagles can be delighted with how they've played in recent weeks and is positive they will be even stronger on their return from the international break.

"The place is really buzzing again," he said. "The result against Blackpool was just what we needed before the break. To get the win at home and get those goals in the first half was fantastic.

"Hopefully we can get a few of our players back for the trip to Cardiff a week on Saturday and continue with our good run."

For the full interview with Paddy McCarthy see this Friday's Croydon Advertiser

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/palacelatest/McCarthy-praise-man-match-Butterfield/article-1395999-detail/article.html

HRS
06-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Played a lot better at CB than he has recently at RB.

Typical Palace
06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Am I right in saying that's the first time Butts has played centre back for Palace (for 90 mins)?

Pleasantly surprised with how well he did there. NW said he wasn't: that he'd seen him there in training and knew he could do it.

Baffled Bob 2
06-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I've always liked DB even when everyone says he's rubbish.

I think it's the hair

CPFC_DAVE77
06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I've always liked DB even when everyone says he's rubbish.

I think it's the hair

Very few have said he's rubbish. We just wanted to know where the pre-Boyce Danny B was hiding.

gold76
06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
shows great camaraderie

bodes well for the teams future prospects

cranesparkeagle
07-10-2009, 12:26 AM
He's not the quickest or the most physical defender we have, but for positional sense he may be the smartest with the possible exception of Fonte. He has also played in more positions here than anyone I can remember. He passes neatly as well , all of which makes him pretty unusual among Championship defenders.

TheCharmer
07-10-2009, 07:16 AM
He's not the quickest or the most physical defender we have, but for positional sense he may be the smartest with the possible exception of Fonte. He has also played in more positions here than anyone I can remember. He passes neatly as well , all of which makes him pretty unusual among Championship defenders.

Best for positional sense? He gets caught on the wrong side for that to be true. Maybe centre back might be a better role for him, as he s now too slow to play full back. Adequate cover squadwise as he covers a number of positions......

prizesucker
07-10-2009, 07:45 AM
I've said he is rubbish... many times in fact! My biggest problem with him is that for a right back he gets too easily beaten (via skill or pace or both) and doesn't block crosses. (Charlton fans were saying he was the worst full back to have ever played for them last season)

I will eat humble pie and say he did play very well at centre half (which i can't remember him ever doing in the first team - NW said he's seen him do it in the reserves).
I have also maintained that he can pass/cross and does have good technique for volleying and have thought a traditional midfield position would suit him better (as shown when he was MoM at Anfield alongside Derry when clever trevor was in charge) but if continues the form he showed against Blackpool - you certainly can't drop him.

Chris Leitch
07-10-2009, 07:58 AM
It helped alot that it was at such short notice that Danny was put into centre back. Had being there been his usual position then the other team would have all week thinking of ways to exploit his lack of height and we could have been looking at a different result!

Budgie Byrne
07-10-2009, 08:04 AM
A real club player, one of a shrinking breed. He has huge heart and has taken the knocks, but bounced back and without doubt a very key part of the dressing room. It must have been a huge blow to him not to be able to make the most of our year in the premier league. While he has had issues with form since that injury we are lucky to have Danny B at the club. I doubt if there is one Palace fan who begrudges the praise he has had for Saturdays performance. Let's hope there are still many more to come form Butt's

Thanet Eagle
07-10-2009, 08:48 AM
A real club player, one of a shrinking breed. He has huge heart and has taken the knocks, but bounced back and without doubt a very key part of the dressing room. It must have been a huge blow to him not to be able to make the most of our year in the premier league. While he has had issues with form since that injury we are lucky to have Danny B at the club. I doubt if there is one Palace fan who begrudges the praise he has had for Saturdays performance. Let's hope there are still many more to come form Butt's

Nice post. Sums up DB for me. Always remember when I bumped into him in Barcalys Bank, Beckenham a few years back and wished him luck for that evening's game. He promptly scored a rare goal that night !

Harry Holmesdale
07-10-2009, 09:40 AM

This is why going to football is great, differing opinions, Saturday he looked good, lets see how consistent he is as for me DB is not good enough anywhere anymore over the short term never mind long term

Son of Ron
07-10-2009, 09:52 AM
maybe his future is as a sweeper ?

kolinkins
07-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Am I right in thinking that now the only outfield position he hasnt played for us is up front?

I have seen him right back, left back, centre midfield, wide right, wide left and now centre back.

stevek
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I can't recall him playing wide left.

kolinkins
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I can't recall him playing wide left.

Under Trevor Francis he did, at least once.

Kirby
07-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I love Danny Butts.

He was seriously lacking in form last season but in the last few games he's been back to his best. At right back and centre half.

It was brilliant to see the old guard (Danny and Shaun) taking the plaudits on Saturday. They set an example to the younger players and IMO have played a massive part in our recent form.

Keep it up guys :p

TheCharmer
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Who plays a sweeper formation these days? Even italian clubs dont anymore!

jobiinthelastmi
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM

Nope it's not the 70's

Eddie'S Dad
07-10-2009, 11:36 AM

If we play with a sweeper then surely it has to be Jose?