PDA

View Full Version : Seating Dilemma

Woosie
08-10-2009, 06:11 PM
I currently sit in the Croydon Advertiser Family stand, and have done for the past 5 years or so i have had a season ticket. The reason i first sat there was because it was cheaper for me as a child. However i have always wanted to sit in the Holmesdale Lower tier, and now as I am 16 i am classed as a concession so it will cost the same price as sitting where i currently do.

But my problem is, that there are a number of people around me who i have got to know, and chat to during the game, and they are really pleasant guys. Also if i move then my dad says he probably won't go next year (it's a lot of effort physically as it is, and it's a lot of money for him as well) and i don't wanna feel bad about him not going to Palace anymore. But the atmosphere in the Holmesdale seems a lot better, because often no-one chants or sings or whatever you call it in the Adder stand, yet when i went to the Man City game and sat in the Holmesdale Lower tier the atmosphere was brilliant.

Do you think i should move to the Holmesdale Lower or stay where i am for another season at least?

Nelson Muntz
08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Traitor :hi:

cpfc4evandeva
08-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I used to sit in the Advertiser as a kid coz it was cheap.

I much prefer the Holmesdale to be honest.

laggin
08-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Main stand

Skiddo
08-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I currently sit in the Croydon Advertiser Family stand, and have done for the past 5 years or so i have had a season ticket. The reason i first sat there was because it was cheaper for me as a child. However i have always wanted to sit in the Holmesdale Lower tier, and now as I am 16 i am classed as a concession so it will cost the same price as sitting where i currently do.

But my problem is, that there are a number of people around me who i have got to know, and chat to during the game, and they are really pleasant guys. Also if i move then my dad says he probably won't go next year (it's a lot of effort physically as it is, and it's a lot of money for him as well) and i don't wanna feel bad about him not going to Palace anymore. But the atmosphere in the Holmesdale seems a lot better, because often no-one chants or sings or whatever you call it in the Adder stand, yet when i went to the Man City game and sat in the Holmesdale Lower tier the atmosphere was brilliant.

Do you think i should move to the Holmesdale Lower or stay where i am for another season at least?

If you're 16, then now is the perfect time to politely tell your old man that you're gonna go and sit in the Holmesdale coz you're growing up and wanna experience something different from your trips to Selhurst.

I'm sure he'll understand.

:p

TheArtfulDodger
08-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Come down to Block B mate, you have plenty of time to sit and chat when your older or in the pub, trust me come for a game and you will be hooked, I made the choice to move from to the front of Block B and I've never looked back.

laggin
08-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Come down to Block B mate, you have plenty of time to sit and chat when your older or in the pub, trust me come for a game and you will be hooked, I made the choice to move from to the front of Block B and I've never looked back.
your always looking back at us lot starting songs where they should be started :hi: :D

little al
08-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Sit in the front of block B with all the other schoolkids.

9Freedman9
08-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Idiot.

Skiddo
08-10-2009, 08:28 PM

Not a particulary helpful thing to say is it?

cpfc4evandeva
08-10-2009, 08:39 PM

How dumb.

They all stand! ;)

peagle
08-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I've wanted to move down to the lower holmesdale for some time, mostly just because i'm sick of the fact that nobody in the Upper tier sings (and i get dirty looks when i do!). However, I also enjoy actually being able to see the football as we get a really good viewpoint up there. Also I have a long-term season ticket which is a wee bit of a problem. OH well :(

GrahamH
08-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Stay with your Dad. There's plenty of time for the Holmesdale in the future. You only get one Dad.

TheArtfulDodger
08-10-2009, 09:27 PM

That's just ignorant, unhelpful and unnecessary, why bother ?

BulletEagle
08-10-2009, 09:31 PM

Woosie, I have exactly the same problem, stick with the Croydon Addy stand for one or two more seasons, I'm sure you'll get the opportunity to move to Block B later on.

That is if we're still at Selhurst....

Eye-dee
08-10-2009, 09:44 PM
My mate's boy has just reached the same age and has said goodbye to his mum and their seats and he has moved on his own to Block B, and I make him right.

Go for it, your dad will be ok. I am sure he is proud of your concern for him too :)

orp pisshead1
08-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Stay with your Dad. There's plenty of time for the Holmesdale in the future. You only get one Dad.

Is the correct answer:p

palace_burger
09-10-2009, 07:33 AM

Is the correct answer. Dont look back in years to come over missed opportunities to spend time together, not sure why... but did you say it was quite an effort to get to the game for your dad, it seemed to imply this was due to ill health?

Remember he has sat with you for years in the family stand, maybe he wanted to sit somewhere else.. but he didn't.

God I sound old lol :) Stick with Dad mate, your really not missing out on much, there is still plenty of time for you to find this out in years to come.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I can't believe you're considering taking away your dad's one chance of escaping Selhurst by staying where you are....

Seriously though, if it were me I'd stick with my dad. Like mine, he's probably the reason you go to Palace in the first place. And that's not a reason to hate him, it's a reason to pay him back by keeping him company. Like you said there's a chance to go elsewhere for odd games, and when he doesn't want to or can't go anymore, you'll be able to go where you want.

Dobbo
09-10-2009, 12:05 PM
I've wanted to move down to the lower holmesdale for some time Also I have a long-term season ticket which is a wee bit of a problem. OH well :(
You are allowed to change your seat in the close season

Nelson Muntz
09-10-2009, 12:16 PM
One day the mighty Whitehorse will rise and the chant 'WE'RE THE WHITEHORSE OVER HERE' will echo around Selhurst.

Chillo
09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I can't believe you're considering taking away your dad's one chance of escaping Selhurst by staying where you are....

Seriously though, if it were me I'd stick with my dad. Like mine, he's probably the reason you go to Palace in the first place. And that's not a reason to hate him, it's a reason to pay him back by keeping him company. Like you said there's a chance to go elsewhere for odd games, and when he doesn't want to or can't go anymore, you'll be able to go where you want.

My dad took my along to my first Palace match - vs Man City in about 1970. I didn't realise that until he told me last week; I thought I had gone with my older sister's friends family.

Company - I feel that with going to cricket with my dad. He's a MCC member and suggested I go on the (very long) list for membership. I declined and said "dont get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful and I enjoy the cricket", but I prefer it being a chance to spend the whole day with my dad (who's now 77ish).

I guess your perspective changes on how old you and your dad are.

Dobbo
09-10-2009, 12:27 PM
One day the mighty Whitehorse will rise and the chant 'WE'RE THE WHITEHORSE OVER HERE' will echo around Selhurst.
That'll be after the Holmesdale gets sold off to Tescos.

Sir.S.C Remembered
09-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Stay where you are for your old man

David
09-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Stay where you are. The Homesdale is the best of a bad bunch of stands but the atmosphere is not that great. It maybe in Block B and C but from Block D it's pretty quiet.

Woosie
09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Is the correct answer. Dont look back in years to come over missed opportunities to spend time together, not sure why... but did you say it was quite an effort to get to the game for your dad, it seemed to imply this was due to ill health?
Remember he has sat with you for years in the family stand, maybe he wanted to sit somewhere else.. but he didn't.

God I sound old lol :) Stick with Dad mate, your really not missing out on much, there is still plenty of time for you to find this out in years to come.

Yeah he struggles to do much physically, because he had a lung removed about 2 years ago, but hasn't really recovered very well from it. We go by train but it's still an effort cos he's tired from working all week. I think he enjoys my company as well, i used to go with my cousin as well who sat with us, but then this season he's moved to sit with his mate in the holmesdale upper, after constantly mentioning that maybe we should go to the holmesdale (this was a couple of seasons ago)

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
10-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Yeah he struggles to do much physically, because he had a lung removed about 2 years ago, but hasn't really recovered very well from it. We go by train but it's still an effort cos he's tired from working all week. I think he enjoys my company as well, i used to go with my cousin as well who sat with us, but then this season he's moved to sit with his mate in the holmesdale upper, after constantly mentioning that maybe we should go to the holmesdale (this was a couple of seasons ago)

Stick at the Whitehorse at least for another season or two.

We're a more friendly bunch, no animosity, the odd joker letting rip..whilst yer Dad is still going (mainly for you by the sounds of it) I'd stick with it..its worth it...and you can tell your kids when you eventually take 'em, that this is where you sat with Grandad for all those years..

King William
10-10-2009, 07:24 AM

spot on. I wish I had stuck, or made more of an effort to stick with my dad and his pals throughout my 20's when his helth was better

IanH
10-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Also if i move then my dad says he probably won't go next year (it's a lot of effort physically as it is, and it's a lot of money for him as well) and i don't wanna feel bad about him not going to Palace anymore.

Have a chat with your dad. He may not actually want to go regularly anymore. He is probably going because he is used to taking you over the last few years. Also, maybe you could spend some alternative quality time with your dad doing something else that doesn't involve the cost, the travel and the sitting around in the freezing cold for two hours.

laggin
12-10-2009, 03:53 AM
:vader:

Psychokiller
12-10-2009, 07:16 AM

Stay with your Dad. Going to Palace is something you do together and when he's gone you'll regret the time you didn't spend with him. Save the chanting for the away games.

Eye-dee
12-10-2009, 07:26 AM
I have to say that I look at it more from his dad's point of view.

If it were my boy I would want him to enjoy his young years as much as possible and would hate the thought that he was staying with me and looking enviously at the bouncing and drumming from Block B, that I must admit, looks a lot of fun from my Old Git's perch in The Gallery.

:)

eaglejez
12-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Stay with your Dad. Going to Palace is something you do together and when he's gone you'll regret the time you didn't spend with him. Save the chanting for the away games.

eaglejez
12-10-2009, 07:36 AM

:lux: :lux:

Stigma
12-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Stay with dad is my feeling. I used to go to the games (Norwegian football this..but I guess same rule applies somewhat:) with my dad. Until he died when I was 17. Fond memories:)

cockles
12-10-2009, 11:07 AM
I had a great laugh at Palace when about your age, and remember my own 'move' from Sainsburys to the Arthur favourably.

However, having good people around you as well as your dad is not a given thing at Palace, so dont throw that away prematurely.

Instead, try cup games and even away games! QPR away might be a good one for you to start.

eagles #1
12-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I went with my Dad for a good 8 seasons or so then like you wanted a bit more and went off to block B with a few mates. He then stopped going after being a season ticket holder for 30 odd years. :(

The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
12-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Ask your dad if he wants to move to the holmesdale with you.

BB Bob
12-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Ask your dad if he wants to move to the holmesdale with you.

Is the correct answer! The atmosphere is so much better, your Dad might rediscover his waning love of the club. Then you can both join in the awesome chorus that is

"We're the Holmesdale....."

which is, of course, promptly (if quietly) answered with

"We're the Arthur....."

Tony
12-10-2009, 11:54 AM
What a nice, and touching, thread. I don't know the answer, mind. I don't think there is an easy one.

Eye-dee
12-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Is the correct answer! The atmosphere is so much better, your Dad might rediscover his waning love of the club. Then you can both join in the awesome chorus that is

"We're the Holmesdale....."

which is, of course, promptly (if quietly) answered with

"We're the Arthur....."

:D

Typical Palace
12-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Take your Dad with you

Woosie
18-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Probably not the best time to bump this, but I'm just looking for some more views on this. I've got my ST for this year already with him, and will be sitting next to him this year again, enjoying my 18th birthday watching the Hull game. I'm thinking that after this year I will go over to the Holmesdale and sit there... but again I think I will miss the people I have got to know and just the company in general. Like having someone to discuss the game with.

Always an Eagle
18-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Probably not the best time to bump this, but I'm just looking for some more views on this. I've got my ST for this year already with him, and will be sitting next to him this year again, enjoying my 18th birthday watching the Hull game. I'm thinking that after this year I will go over to the Holmesdale and sit there... but again I think I will miss the people I have got to know and just the company in general. Like having someone to discuss the game with.

If you dad won't move & or won't go if you move, stay with him.

Administration proved we're all in this together so stick with your dad while he's still prepared to go.

bigboy
18-06-2010, 04:43 PM
im coming up to the 50yr old soon and had been in the whitehorse end all my youth,when away used support used to be all around me,later renamed many times and now seated i met lots of people around me who we laughed and cried together,one day i decided to go holmesdale lower block b with my daughter and her mate,it took my breath away and all the passion of singing and banter come flooding back,i love it and jump up n down like a silly kid with so much passion,my advice go with ur heart:p

bern5161
18-06-2010, 04:56 PM
holmesdale does the singing
main stand does the stinging

Palace Rebel
18-06-2010, 05:02 PM
your always looking back at us lot starting songs where they should be started :hi: :D

Your always looking down to gain confidence to sing...

Palace Rebel
18-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Think a lot of people your age come the age of 16 decide to move to the Arthur or Holmesdale to experience something different. Can always change your seat once you ahve brought one, give the holmesdale a try if you want to watch the game grab a seat in block C, right next to the atmosphere, you don't like it, return home to the advertiser.

JHJ EAGLE
18-06-2010, 05:10 PM

Well said:)

jamie12
19-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I had the same thing last season mate, was with my dad in Old stand, we made some cracking mates in there. But I always go off up the back for away games, plus know a few in Block B, so decided to go there next season, my dads happy with his friends in the Stephenson, I'm with me mates in the Holmesdale, we still travel to games together, everyones a winner :p

james powell
19-06-2010, 10:52 AM
This.

fat pigeon
19-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Stay with your Dad, and get your mates to sing and shout a bit more.

Eagles55
21-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Talk to your Dad about it

If you have quite a good bunch of fol around you, friends almost then maybe your Dad shares some of them. In which case when you say you want to go over to the Holmesdale (or even the AWM) he will be quite happy to keep his current seat. You arrive together, split to your appropriate seats and meet up again after the match. In a couple of years time even having a couple of pre and post match pints.

Also he might want to move as well as I presume you are at the Addo as a family orientated stand. You are grown up now. He might have noticed that as well.

Ardent Eagle Forever
21-06-2010, 06:59 AM

Are you his dad?????

Ardent Eagle Forever
21-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Stay with your Dad and start the Whitehose Lane massive!!!

eaglesboy2
21-06-2010, 08:09 AM
It was my dads 80th this weekend. He took me to my first game in 1979 and we have enjoyed (mostly!!) many trips around the country and at Selhurst watching Palace. Thanks dad!! He doesn't go to games anymore due to his health.

My advice would be see if your dad wants to move to the Holmesdale also. Problem solved! But also make the most of your time watching Palace with your dad.

Psychokiller
21-06-2010, 08:15 AM
It was my dads 80th this weekend. He took me to my first game in 1979 and we have enjoyed (mostly!!) many trips around the country and at Selhurst watching Palace. Thanks dad!! He doesn't go to games anymore due to his health.

My advice would be see if your dad wants to move to the Holmesdale also. Problem solved! But also make the most of your time watching Palace with your dad.
Nice one.

I can't see why the club can't produce DVDs of each match and send them to our senior supporters who simply can't make it to the ground every week. Would be a nice gesture as a thank you for their years of support. Fortunately my old man is still quite fit for a 78 year old but there'll probably come a time when he can't go every other weekend.

Twin of Droy
21-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Stay with your Dad at home games.

Enjoy times with new Palace mates your own age at away games.

Thats the choice I made 30 years ago.

Palestinian
21-06-2010, 08:32 AM

Excellent post

Nelson Muntz
21-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Great post.

Sir.S.C Remembered
21-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Try to get your dad to compromise by moving to block D of the Holmesdale where he can sit but you can be near the atmosphere. Even try getting those around you to move too. If your dad won't budge then stick with him. Family are much more important.

Oli28
21-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Stay with your Dad at home games.

Enjoy times with new Palace mates your own age at away games.

Thats the choice I made 30 years ago.
This is what I do

Woosie
05-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Now it's changed, no longer a seating dilemma :(

I'm off to uni next year most probably, and I think it will be Reading. I would have to live there and give up Palace (hard enough for me as it is :( :( ) and if I give up Palace then my dad won't go anymore either cos he likes my company and it will mean we no longer do anything together like father and son. I know how much he is looking forward to my 18th birthday when we play Hull and having a beer with me before the game in December.

It's not really a dilemma, cos I know that I have to go to the Uni I like the most and put it ahead of Palace for the time being hard as it is. But I have to make a decision by December because we can't afford the increase in price for the season tickets (that's not a dig at all, the prices are good, it's just we don't have that sort of money). It's tough because I don't even know what uni I will be going to yet anyway and if there is a chance that i could still go to palace then I would obviously still go.

Any comments, suggestions welcome. I want to say to him that he should go anyway but like i'e said before it's difficult for him anyway (I have to moan at him to leave at a sensible time to catch the train) but it's a lot of money anyway...

Barbara4003
05-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Tricky one.

When Jen went to Uni, I bought her a Student season ticket and booked her train tickets well in advance for her to come home when Palace were playing at home, but I appreciate that may not be an option for you.

Would your student ticket go up by that much between December and May? Although that doesn't help with your dad's ticket :(

Typical Palace
05-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm off to uni next year most probably, and I think it will be Reading.
What's so hard about getting from Reading to SP? I went to Poly in the Midlands and came back for every game (missed three home games in three years). I'm no better a fan than you, if you want to go to games you can easily do it. No reason to miss any games. Can you still get a student price s/t?

Woosie
05-11-2010, 09:17 PM
What's so hard about getting from Reading to SP? I went to Poly in the Midlands and came back for every game (missed three home games in three years). I'm no better a fan than you, if you want to go to games you can easily do it. No reason to miss any games. Can you still get a student price s/t?

The price of the travel would be a lot surely? Plus I don't know if I'd even have time for Palace if I go uni. I can still get a concession ST yeah

Typical Palace
05-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I hitched back most of the time. Don't know if that's possible these days. Young person's rail card helped with the train when I went luxury style

gadford4th
05-11-2010, 09:26 PM
First year of uni you'll have nothing to do. 1st years have about 4 hours of lectures a week (unless you're doing medicine) so you'll have time for Saturdays in South London.

As for travel cost, megabus to victoria, victoria to selhurst. Won't be too expensive. Cheaper if you get a young persons rail card.

One thing you might want to think about is if the combined saving of you and your Dad's season ticket is going towards your uni fees.....

Woosie
05-11-2010, 09:32 PM
First year of uni you'll have nothing to do. 1st years have about 4 hours of lectures a week (unless you're doing medicine) so you'll have time for Saturdays in South London.

As for travel cost, megabus to victoria, victoria to selhurst. Won't be too expensive. Cheaper if you get a young persons rail card.

One thing you might want to think about is if the combined saving of you and your Dad's season ticket is going towards your uni fees.....

cheers for this post, I'm already thinking about that last point. Also I would need to find a new job which would most likely be working Saturdays...

I've tentatively mentioned a super 6 ticket to my dad but I don't think he's at all convinced.

delboy01
05-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Whatever you do you need to make sure you still go with him when you can.

A super six would be a good idea as you could go during the many many breaks you will have.

I took my dear old mum for a number of years until it became impossible for her. Her last ever game was the 4-3 Liverpool game at Villa park.

I've been on at my old man to come along for years but he just stays in doors now.

WallingtonEagle
05-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Im also 16 and considered moving from the Upper Tier to the lower as i seem to be the only one singing up there!

I go with my dad and would like to move down but think my dad would much more enjoy watching the game. Although he sings along with me and at away games you cant stop him!

However, (and i hope this helps, but your situation might be different) i dont get to see a lot of my dad these days and going to Palace with him is the only time i get to be with him, so for that reason im going to stay where i am and enjoy the times with him and the perculier looks i get from everyone up there! :D

ScottHooky
05-11-2010, 11:02 PM
The price of the travel would be a lot surely? Plus I don't know if I'd even have time for Palace if I go uni. I can still get a concession ST yeah
I travel from Reading to home games. 13 quid with a network rail card to get a travelcard.

CPFC_Fan
05-11-2010, 11:11 PM

Concession S/T yes :)

As for the travel you have a couple of options. Train with a young persons railcard (just over a tenner return). Megabus, extremely cheap (less than a fiver return) to get to and from Victoria then Oyster Card it down to Selhurst. Simples :)

Oli28
06-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Im also 16 and considered moving from the Upper Tier to the lower as i seem to be the only one singing up there!

I go with my dad and would like to move down but think my dad would much more enjoy watching the game. Although he sings along with me and at away games you cant stop him!

However, (and i hope this helps, but your situation might be different) i dont get to see a lot of my dad these days and going to Palace with him is the only time i get to be with him, so for that reason im going to stay where i am and enjoy the times with him and the perculier looks i get from everyone up there! :D

And woosie I would recommend getting a 6 or 12 game deal. You're life will change a fair bit at uni so you may have other commitments on saturday afternoons. I'm at uni up north and come down every now and then for home games but wouldn't like to be tied down to going every week.

Mr Statto
06-11-2010, 12:51 AM
You can actually do a return via Redhill with a YP Railcard for £9.70 (it's £14.70 without the railcard). Takes about 1:40.

I had a season ticket on the Holmesdale in 93-94 when I was in my first year at Bucks College in High Wycombe. Made it to most games, but it was a bit of a drag getting there and back occasionally.

Eye-dee
06-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Matt, sorry to go into cliché mode, but if you want something hard enough you can get it, there will be a way.
Too much is at stake not to find a solution.