PDA

View Full Version : croydon greyhound 1976 1978

wellers barnet
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
hello , never posted on here before but have read a few things on here palace related and general stuff .

i am fully expecting to get zero response to this but hey ho , i read on here a while ago people talking about the punk days and the croydon greyhound , me and my mates were regular visitors and avid punk fans .

there is programme on at the moment called the home video roadshow on bbc , last weeks addition had cine film of punks down the kings road , as i was watching a face popped up i remembered , it was a bloke called vaughn , a proper character . the other people with him i did not recognise but its been a long time .

this bloke really stood out as he was a bit chubby , wore glasses and had orange hair if you was involved in this scene check it out , its mental.http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tnpf0/Home_Movie_Roadshow_Uncut_Episode_4/

starts 33 minutes in

loz
07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi Mate, Looking at the film I am pretty sure that its not all shot on the same day, I am in the background on 34.39 although I did not know the others as you can see by the look on my face. Theres also a good shot of my girlfreind at the time, (there were her mates really)

You can not see my face but earlier there is a couple of frames which could be me wearing red bondage trousers and a green army jacket ?? some of the names of my punky mates were Dave fergerson, Fred ?? Gary ?? as you say it was 30 years ago!!

So not much help then.

kabbott
07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
For me the Croydon Greyhound:

The Jam
XTC

I can't remember the years though.

Glazier69
07-09-2010, 01:35 PM
1976-78 memory a bit blurry but deffo saw:

Ramones supported by Talking Heads
The Damned
Motorhead
Ultravox! (note the ! - pre Midge Ure)

A pal of mine still has 1/2 a pair of the Capt's white sunglasses that got trashed as he pogo'd to the Ramones......:)

Tell that t'kids t'day and they'd never believe yer!

Barbara4003
07-09-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm sure I saw the Human League there before they became well known. I used to go there quite a bit but can't really remember who I ever saw there.

Maz
07-09-2010, 01:42 PM
1976-78 memory a bit blurry but deffo saw:

Ramones supported by Talking Heads
The Damned
Motorhead
Ultravox! (note the ! - pre Midge Ure)

A pal of mine still has 1/2 a pair of the Capt's white sunglasses that got trashed as he pogo'd to the Ramones......:)

Tell that t'kids t'day and they'd never believe yer!I was at all of those except Ultravox, (thankfully).

I also remember Ian Dury and The Blockheads, Siouxsie, Secret Affair and Johnny Moped.

There was a story Bowie played there in the early 70s. Anyone know if it's true?

(Don't think the Human League did though - I'd swear it shut down to music in 1978/9).

Barbara4003
07-09-2010, 01:48 PM
(Don't think the Human League did though - I'd swear it shut down to music in 1978/9).

It would have been before they were well known. Unless it wasn't the Greyhound :confused:

It was definitely in Croydon and I can't think where else it would have been and I can also remember thinking they were callled the Human Leg and telling people that's who I had seen.

Unless, of course, there really was a band called The Human Leg :)

Maz
07-09-2010, 01:49 PM
It would have been before they were well known. Unless it wasn't the Greyhound :confused:
#The Red Deer was the other venue I recall.

Rat Scabies was to be found their picking his spots quite regularly.

Maidstoned Eagle
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM

Rat Scabies was to be found their picking his spots quite regularly.

I know this was intentional.....wasn't it. :D

patch
07-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I was at the Damned gig and others which now have been lost in the recesses of my aging brain :( Anyone go to the Stiff gig at the Fairfield Hall?

Eye-dee
07-09-2010, 01:58 PM
I was hoping to spot one of our apprentices in the Kings Road bit. He was always up there with his bright red jacket and blonde hair, kind of David Sylvian (Japan) lookalike.

He used to come to work like it too which was fun on a building site :D

Barbara4003
07-09-2010, 02:01 PM

No, it definitely wasn't the Red Deer.

gcwhite
07-09-2010, 02:06 PM
There was a story Bowie played there in the early 70s. Anyone know if it's true?

Bowie played there in 1972 if I remember correctly. Me and my mates were regulars at the Greyhound from 69 to 72. Favourite performers were Mott the Hoople, Status Quo, Deep Purple, East of Eden, Hawkwind and the Edgar Broughton Band.

We turned up to see Bowie but couldn't get in because of the teenyboppers packing the place out. Bit of a blow to us hippies. :cool:

loz
07-09-2010, 04:22 PM
No, it definitely wasn't the Red Deer.

The Cartoon or the star ? also there was a place up near East groydon station ? saw Patric fitzgerald there. Or Croydon collage used to have gigs, I saw a band called Wasted youth play there (great name crap band)

Maz
07-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Not the right venue, but the right poster for the right tour. Maybe th ebest gig I have ever been to...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2454/4010438405_5d8d6b3202.jpg

Barbara4003
07-09-2010, 05:18 PM
The Cartoon or the star ? also there was a place up near East groydon station ? saw Patric fitzgerald there. Or Croydon collage used to have gigs, I saw a band called Wasted youth play there (great name crap band)

No. I'm convinced it was The Greyhound.

I did used to go to the Cartoon a lot though. They used to have some good bands there :)

Tim of the 80's
07-09-2010, 08:43 PM
My first trip to the Greyhound was to see Greenslade, but during punk, came up most sunday nights on the train from Tattenham Corner. Saw the Vibrators, Siouxsie (supported by the Fall), The Damned (Johnny Moped was supposed to be support, but he didn't turn up, so his band and Captain Sensible did Hard Lovin Man for about half an hour). Gen x, Buzzcocks, XTC, X-Ray Spex, The Stukas, Rich Kids (supported by Landscape), Talking Heads (supported by Dire Straits), The Unwanted, The Heartbreakers, Wreckless Eric, Slits, Magazine, Ian Dury, The Tourists and others I expect I've forgotten. Then the skinheads started coming and suddenly it wasn't much fun anymore.
Bowie also played the Ebbisham Hall in Epsom around 72.

crockett
08-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm sure I saw the Human League there before they became well known. I used to go there quite a bit but can't really remember who I ever saw there.

Possible - Human League (old stylee before the girls) supported Siouxsie & the Banshees when I saw them at The Rainbow in 1978.

I saw Damned many times, Johnny Moped, Jam, Talking Heads, Wreckless Eric, Generation X, The Saints. The support band for The Damned was often The Cowards which included a bloke I worked with at the time. I remember a big disappointment when a Dutch Band called Gruppo Sportivo didn't turn up, there music wasn't what you'd call punk but was strangely appealing.

Tim of the 80's
08-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Possible - Human League (old stylee before the girls) supported Siouxsie & the Banshees when I saw them at The Rainbow in 1978.

I saw Damned many times, Johnny Moped, Jam, Talking Heads, Wreckless Eric, Generation X, The Saints. The support band for The Damned was often The Cowards which included a bloke I worked with at the time. I remember a big disappointment when a Dutch Band called Gruppo Sportivo didn't turn up, there music wasn't what you'd call punk but was strangely appealing.

The Cowards played the time Johnny Moped didn't turn up. They overplayed their slot and gradually had their sound turned off, leaving just the drummer accompanied by some sneering remarks from the DJ (Neil Fox?) who had to do a bit of a volte-face when due to moped's non-appearance, the cowards had to be called back on to play with the Captain and various moped band members. It was brilliant actually, followed by a fantastic damned set (think it may have been Jon Moss on drums, with Lu).

Lazarus
08-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Bowie played there in 1972 if I remember correctly. Me and my mates were regulars at the Greyhound from 69 to 72. Favourite performers were Mott the Hoople, Status Quo, Deep Purple, East of Eden, Hawkwind and the Edgar Broughton Band.

We turned up to see Bowie but couldn't get in because of the teenyboppers packing the place out. Bit of a blow to us hippies. :cool:

Me too, I must have been in the same queue to see Bowie (and likewise failing!). Did you see him pull up in his motor outside? First band I saw there was Leon Russell and the Shelter People. And of course they were forever wheeling out Osibisa...as well as Atomic Rooster, Lindisfarne, latterly Cockney Rebel:p

Walter Wort
08-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I can also remember thinking they were callled the Human Leg and telling people that's who I had seen.

Unless, of course, there really was a band called The Human Leg :)
They once appeared in Bradford billed as The Human Leaf.
But I prefer The Human Leg.

Walter Wort
08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Did anyone see Roxy Music there in 1972?
I didn't, because at the time I didn't realise that I, too, could easily have got the train from Tattenham Corner. :sob:

Pre-punk, I saw the mighty Heavy Metal Kids there a couple of times.

philsick
08-09-2010, 09:27 PM
35.20 peter lord looms up to the screen on that vid,he was a pretty well known croydon punk and used to arrange alot of our meets when we were going to gigs out of croydon.I recognise a few others from that footage,but cant put names to them.The greyhound was brilliant,i even went to see bands i didn't much like just for the crack.

Although they were more rock than punk,Johnny thunders and the heartbreakers gig there was a classic.Loved the x ray specs gig when the stage collapsed and the bloke videoing the slits gig for a doco,getting completely drowned in spit,with greenies dripping off the camera.

On the 25th september a large contingent of croydon punks ltd "CPL",will be meeting up for an old members 50th.I think there will be alot of reminiscing about this period.

gcwhite
08-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Did anyone see Roxy Music there in 1972?

I was there. I thought they were pretentious in the extreme. After that gig they were always Poxy Music to me. 'Proper' bands didn't have a saxophone player. I used to hate Soft Machine for the same reason.

I only listen to Radio 3 these days. :(

gomez
09-09-2010, 01:13 AM

24th June 1972. Roxy Music support

stephen gray
06-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Yes, I also was at the Talking Heads gig, Talking Heads were great up until a couple of Dire Straits, Knopfler and the bass player came on at the encore and started jamming...

BERT'S HEAD
07-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Saw Jim Dandy aka Black Oak Arkansas who a year or so later were the support act for Black Sabbath at the Fairfield Halls