PDA

View Full Version : England v France (friendly 17th November)

kabbott
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I thought I'd get the ball rolling early for this one.
Football matches between these two countries are quite rare but are always great for some banter with friends and colleagues (as are the rugby matches).
I wonder what this will do for our well-loved "entente cordiale"?

Anyway, Laurent Blanc has just announced his squad for next week's game.

Only four England/London-based players will be popping down the road to meet up with the rest of the squad.

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Cédric Carrasso (Bordeaux)

Defenders: Gaël Clichy (Arsenal), Anthony Reveillère (Lyon), Philippe Mexès (Roma), Adil Rami (Lille), Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Mamadou Sakho (Paris Saint-Germain), Eric Abidal (Barcelona)

Midfielders : Yohan Cabaye (Lille), Alou Diarra (Bordeaux), Yoann Gourcuff (Lyon), Yann M'Vila (Rennes), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Samir Nasri (Arsenal), Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille)

Attackers : Karim Benzema (Lyon), Kévin Gameiro (Lorient), Guillaume Hoarau (Paris Saint-Germain), Dimitri Payet (Saint-Etienne), Loïc Rémy (Marseille)

kolinkins
10-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Benzema back at Lyon?

Sodermalm
10-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm reluctantly going to this game.

Snikt5
10-11-2010, 02:20 PM
I could not be less enthused about it. I was never one of those people who thought club always came before country, but I am at the moment. I just don't like 3/4 of the English team.

Thanet Eagle
10-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I could not be less enthused about it. I was never one of those people who thought club always came before country, but I am at the moment. I just don't like 3/4 of the English team.

My thoughts entirely. Would never had missed an England game in the past but now I really could not care less what the overpaid prima donnas get up to.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
10-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I'd heard that there are plenty of cheap tickets going on sale because they're struggling to get a decent crowd.

Baffled Bob 2
10-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Fair play to the FA for scouring the globe to find a team to play whose World Cup was crappier than ours

kabbott
10-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Benzema back at Lyon?

Woops. Still at Madrid (but only just)

Gooders
10-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Please tell me they're not cancelling the league programme again for this?

EagleSE24
10-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Please tell me they're not cancelling the league programme again for this?

If they're not, expect withdrawals from 50% of the squad. Especially any Moan U scum.

SpikeyMatt
10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm going to this.

Looking forward to it purely because Capello will probably try some of the younger players - Wilshire, Henderson and the like.

BulletEagle
10-11-2010, 06:29 PM
For those who know French football, in particular Lyon, do Briand and Lopez start up front together, and is Briand any good?

joe walker
10-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Nobody from table-toppers Brest in that squad

saxoneagle
10-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Hee hee - Brest

:D

Cartoon Head
10-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm reluctantly going to this game.

i'm not,,,,,i did the montenegro game,but just can't bring myself to do the friendlies.

FORZA SELHURST
10-11-2010, 06:44 PM

You would've thought one of them would poulet.

limited_edition
10-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Brazil play Argentina on the same night I think. Friendly in Doha, Qatar, just like we had against Brazil a year ago.

kabbott
10-11-2010, 08:01 PM
For those who know French football, in particular Lyon, do Briand and Lopez start up front together, and is Briand any good?

Moi? :hi:

Lyon play a 4-3-3 with Lopez down the middle. He hasn't played a lot this season through injury and too many South American BBQs which he had trouble shedding off at the end of the summer. When Lopez doesn't play, he is replaced by Bafetimbi Gomis who Lyon paid a fortune for on the back of one prolific season at St Etienne. He's not having the best of times this season (he seems a bit overweight too) and is the victim of the Lyon boo-boo boys. Jimmy Briand, who probably just missed out on being selected this time, was bought from Rennes for a snip at 6m€ to replace Sidney Govou on the right flank. He's like Govou in many respects in that he is quick, links up well with team-mates and is also a tireless worker. He just needs to improve his goalscoring ratio a bit. Having said that, he's scored a few in the last couple of weeks. He's probably been Lyon's best player so far, but then that's not saying much, they've been so cr*p. On the other wing there would be another Argentine, César Delgado, but he, too, has been injured for most of the season. He has been more than replaced by two young guns who figure in the French U-20 set-up Jérémy Pied and Anthony Lacazette. These two are certainly ones to look out for in the future. In fact Lyon had 6 players in the European U-20 championships in the summer. Lyon's ''académie" is certainly one of the best in France.

kabbott
10-11-2010, 08:02 PM

Quel coq! :D

kabbott
10-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Hee hee - Brest

I take it you're a Brest man?

King William
10-11-2010, 08:06 PM
£5 a ticket for locals aswell... 40,000 empty seats so far

kabbott
10-11-2010, 08:12 PM

They've basically kept the squad that got them promoted last season. They've also got an experienced and somewhat underrated coach, Alex Dupont. Their only slightly well-known player is a boy by the name of Nolan Roux. He's 22 and scored a fair few last season in Ligue 2. He played a couple of times for the French u-21s last season and is attracting a lot of interest from top-of-the-table clubs. He seems to be adapting well to Ligue 1 as are most of the players. They might be caught out later in the season when injuries kick in, but they are very well organised and play quite pretty fotball, especially away from home.

Beckenham Boy
11-11-2010, 09:49 AM
£5 a ticket for locals aswell... 40,000 empty seats so far

The FA have announced this morning that the France game is now sold out. No more tickets are available.

http://www.thefa.com/England/News/match-centre/2010/EnglandvFrance/Previews/sold-out-111110

France game sold out

Thursday, 11 November, 2010

No seats available for next Wednesday's game.

Next Wednesday's game with France at Wembley Stadium is now sold out.

All available general public seats have been sold and this includes any seats held for Brent residents.

Manager Fabio Capello will announce his squad for the game on Saturday evening.

El Aguila
11-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Cedric Carasso. Fat goalie.

PeterH
11-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Pointless game this. I hope it costs the FA money.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
11-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Sad thing is, neither of these two teams 'monsieur' up to the standards of the best teams in the World.

kabbott
11-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Cedric Carasso. Fat goalie.

Has lost weight and has become a pretty good 'keeper since his short stay "chez nous".

FORZA SELHURST
11-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Sad thing is, neither of these two teams 'monsieur' up to the standards of the best teams in the World.

The 'big four' players will no doubt declare themselves 'croques' before the game.

waddoneagle
11-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Seriously is anyone interested in this ?

PeterH
11-11-2010, 06:01 PM
All the mindless chumps that bought tickets I guess.

Mad Raschic Ken
15-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Taking my son along to the game and looking forward to it. Will be good to see some younger players given a chance. I'm having a crack at doing every game home and away in the current membership period. Whilst the last game was disappointing I really enjoyed the Bulgaria and Switzerland games. Hopefully a couple of the new players might earn a place for when the bigger games come around.

waddoneagle
15-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Croydon Athletic are playing that night, No brainer, come on you Rams:p

leicester1
15-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Good game to look forward to,local Derby between countries with a bit of History.

Both teams were disapointing in the World cup so both won't want to lose,England 3-1.

Beckenham Boy
16-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Henderson, Carroll and Gibbs all starting for England tomorrow.

Be nice to see fresh faces wearing the three lions

gilesy14
16-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Gutted Wilshere is out, really think we should start building our team around him. He's an outstanding talent.

Despite being pretty appalled by the squad Cappello selected, i'm glad he's giving youngsters like Henderson, Carroll & Gibbs a run out. Is good to see as we need to get these youngsters in & around the England setup as early as possible.

Still can't get my head around Bothroyd. Unbelievable.

Mad Raschic Ken
16-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Gutted Wilshere is out, really think we should start building our team around him. He's an outstanding talent.

Despite being pretty appalled by the squad Cappello selected, i'm glad he's giving youngsters like Henderson, Carroll & Gibbs a run out. Is good to see as we need to get these youngsters in & around the England setup as early as possible.

Still can't get my head around Bothroyd. Unbelievable.

I wasn't convinced about Bothroyd's selection either. I haven't seen much of him recently though and I see he's scored 15 goals in 16 league games this season. Personally I'm in favour of players from the Championship being given a go if they're good enough (it helps the likes of Palace top hold onto their star players apart from anything else). If he's given a chance to get on the pitch hopefully he'll prove he's up to it.

gilesy14
16-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I wasn't convinced about Bothroyd's selection either. I haven't seen much of him recently though and I see he's scored 15 goals in 16 league games this season. Personally I'm in favour of players from the Championship being given a go if they're good enough (it helps the likes of Palace top hold onto their star players apart from anything else). If he's given a chance to get on the pitch hopefully he'll prove he's up to it.

If they're good enough then yes, fair play - give them a chance. However, I can't see how Kevin Davies is overlooked for Bothroyd. Davies is playing consistenly well at the highest level - surely that warrants a palce in the squad.

Mad Raschic Ken
16-11-2010, 01:44 PM
If they're good enough then yes, fair play - give them a chance. However, I can't see how Kevin Davies is overlooked for Bothroyd. Davies is playing consistenly well at the highest level - surely that warrants a palce in the squad.

That's true. Seems bizarre that he was called up for the last game and then overlooked for this one. He didn't even get called up as a replacement when Agbonlahor pulled out.

gilesy14
16-11-2010, 01:53 PM
That's true. Seems bizarre that he was called up for the last game and then overlooked for this one. He didn't even get called up as a replacement when Agbonlahor pulled out.

Exactly, I don't see how Carlton Cole is playing better than Davies at the moment. I also don't see how Cole's very average form at West Ham is rewarded with a call up whilst his team-mate & West Ham's best player every week, Scott Parker, is not included in the squad. It makes no sense. I know they play different positions but surely there is room for Parker in the midfield.

To be honest I have many issues with Cappello's selection & could sit here for ages picking holes in the squad. I was a huge Cappello fan but I think he is doing nothing to earn that ridiculous salary he is on.

Glazier69
16-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Crepe et merde ! :moo:

Joooe
16-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm glad Carroll's gonna start.

But Willshire out is frustrating.

I think it's hard to judge Capello's squad selection too much, what with all the 'injuries'.

Sp1Eagle
16-11-2010, 04:03 PM
The sun's Championship England XI

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3230555/Championship-England-XI.html

EagleSE24
16-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I like this quote from Ferdinand, but am disappointed he didn't go the whole hog with the "he's got good feet for a big man" line. Surely the most ridiculous of ways to decribe a professional footballer.

I think he [Andy Carroll] is a real talent. He's not just a big lad who can head the ball in the net, he's got good feet as well.

"Oi Fabio - we've found this player at Newcastle. He's really big and can head the ball"
"Can he play football though?"
"No, he can't use his feet at all. But he's a big man and can head the ball..."

SpikeyMatt
16-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Why not Danny Welbeck...

Looking forward to going tomorrow night now I know Carroll, Henderson and Gibbs are starting :p

gold76
16-11-2010, 07:40 PM
It will be an interesting watch tomorrow night.

SA Eagle
16-11-2010, 07:41 PM

But 34 in March coming, he isn't much of a long term solution. His goal scoring record isn't that great when you look at it.

gilesy14
16-11-2010, 08:26 PM
But 34 in March coming, he isn't much of a long term solution. His goal scoring record isn't that great when you look at it.

No, the age factor is definitely against him. However, it's not as if Bothroyd is an exciting young prospect in the Championship. He's 28 & scored 3 Premier League goals in his whole career. Hardly the solution either. I just think Davies warrants a spot more than Bothroyd for a number of reasons.

cpfcfan1
16-11-2010, 08:32 PM

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3230555/Championship-England-XI.html

Clyne and Zaha in there nice :)

SA Eagle
16-11-2010, 09:27 PM
However, it's not as if Bothroyd is an exciting young prospect in the Championship.

Fair point :p

eaglejez
17-11-2010, 09:18 AM
All the mindless chumps that bought tickets I guess.

this coming from a Palace fan !! Why are they mindless chumps ? The Wembley experience is great and certainly a massive improvement from 20 years ago. Have you been to the New Wembley ? I'm giving most of the Friendlies a miss having been to loads of England matches but I'm guessing quite a few people thought it was cheap way to see England. Can't believe we still get people coming on England threads to spout the usual 'Palace before England blah blah line' ;)

CPFC_DAVE77
17-11-2010, 09:25 AM
I shan't be watching as I'm at an art exhibition.

kolinkins
17-11-2010, 11:23 AM
The club with the best fans in the whole entire universe want to pull Carrol out of the game tonight (he wants to play, and his country has picked him)

webbo1990
17-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Where's Ambrose? Howson, my @rse.

limited_edition
17-11-2010, 01:48 PM
this coming from a Palace fan !! Why are they mindless chumps ? The Wembley experience is great and certainly a massive improvement from 20 years ago. Have you been to the New Wembley ? I'm giving most of the Friendlies a miss having been to loads of England matches but I'm guessing quite a few people thought it was cheap way to see England. Can't believe we still get people coming on England threads to spout the usual 'Palace before England blah blah line' ;)Yes. I went to Fabio's 1st game v the Swiss. I thought it was a souless experience with the new Wembley feeling like an airport lounge. And don't get me started on the chaos trying to get into Wembley Park stn after the game. The only good thing about the game were some Swiss fans dressed as oompa loompas.

Anyway, I think people are more pissed off with England than Wembley. After Fabio's love affair with his underperforming big club (undroppable) mates in SA in the summer and use of useless players like SWP v Montenegro, people are sick of the same old hype, but little in the way of delivering on the pitch. At least Fabio's forced into picking some youngsters tonight because of the 'injuries', but I worry that in a qualifying game the same serial underperformers in a white or red shirt will be used in qualifyers.

CrawleyEagle
17-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I love England and always will do.

It's just at the moment with the current group of players, I can't get excited about them.

Look at all the people who have 'injuries'. I'd kill a man to be able to play a friendly for England with the three lions on my chest, walking out to 90,000 people.

These footballers take everything for granted. The only real England hero in the last ten years has been David Beckham. He loves playing for England and I think England fans love seeing players who love to play for England!

Joooe
17-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Come on England.

Shipp Ahoy!
17-11-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm liking the look of the team tonight, just a shame Hart is missing as Foster is a poor keeper.

Foster, Jagielka, Ferdinand, Lescott, Gibbs, Walcott, Henderson, Barry, Milner, Gerrard, Carroll

Fever Pitch
17-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Are CP fans really watching this shit?

Very, very short memories.

**** THE FA

hoskingt
17-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Except Zaha isn't English.

Danny boy
17-11-2010, 07:44 PM

"cash-strapped club" on Clyne's profile. Ffs can't they keep up with the times! :grrr:

hoskingt
17-11-2010, 07:45 PM
"cash-strapped club" on Clyne's profile. Ffs can't they keep up with the times! :grrr:
Winds me up too. Do they not listen to Stevie Parish?

AddiscombeCPFC
17-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Good to see a young team and even better to see Gerrard in his best position.

I dont really bother with friendlies and I'm still disgusted about the world cup shambles, but I'll watch tonight with interest at how the young players get on.

Miserable frogs dont seem to be giving their national anthem much effort!

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Are CP fans really watching this shit?

Very, very short memories.

**** THE FA

I have followed Palace since I was old enough to remember same goes for England.

The old bastards of the FA are not playing, England are, plus some of you are classing what kind of Palace fan you are by recent problems at Selhurst park ...Now England ?

Bollocks you can stick that classing system right up your arse.

Palace and proud,England and proud.

Danny boy
17-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Domination to say the least

Sp1Eagle
17-11-2010, 08:19 PM
FFS we a awful.

cpfcfan1
17-11-2010, 08:19 PM
1 0 france

very nice goal

spunky
17-11-2010, 08:20 PM
england suck

Danny boy
FFS!

Shipp Ahoy!
Foster = clown

hoskingt
17-11-2010, 08:21 PM
France look very very good.

Dave
17-11-2010, 08:22 PM
talk me through the goal

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 08:22 PM
France look very very good.

England look very bad,feck we look 2nd class to them.

cpfcfan1
17-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Malouda is ripping us a new ass hole

exiledeagle1
17-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Something wrong with the ball? England keep kicking it away for some strange reason.

Sp1Eagle
17-11-2010, 08:27 PM
FFS. Nasri is ripping us apart.

LLCOOLSTEVE
17-11-2010, 08:29 PM
We have got a reserve team playing :)

EagleSE24
17-11-2010, 08:30 PM
France were 11/4 to win tonight. I was so tempted.

sirdougie
17-11-2010, 08:30 PM
How does Milner get in the squad, let alone the team?

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 08:31 PM

And does it show,no wonder Becks thought feck that...

philsick
17-11-2010, 08:34 PM
France,unlike england did the right thing after their world cup debacle.Total change,from the coach right through to the bad apples in the team.I was out in france and saw their last 2 euro qualifiers and they are streets ahead of england in all departments.

mexicaneagle

because he's really good?

England all over the place at the moment. midfield (inc. Barry) is clueless and not even making themselves available. Our right back having a mare. Ferdinand doing well. Carroll doing well with the desperate 40 / 50 yd balls being hoofed up to him from defense.

BulletEagle
Get rid of Capello. He is ruining our national football team. We all remember the brilliant days of Beckham, Owen, Scholes, a young Rooney of only a few years back when we could beat anybody in the world on our day. :(

the kooch
17-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Only one of Barry, Milner and Gerrard should play.

Mike Elwiss

same for Barry.

Never seen such a one footed player play for England

Les Butler
France,unlike england did the right thing after their world cup debacle.Total change,from the coach right through to the bad apples in the team.I was out in france and saw their last 2 euro qualifiers and they are streets ahead of england in all departments.

Are you basing this on the more or less reserve team we have out tonight ?

I know the last game was crap but before that it was not bad at all.

Danny boy
17-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Capello is ruining England

exiledeagle1
17-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Barry is crap....and overweight.
Milner should be on the right wheres he's best.

EagleSE24
17-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Get rid of Capello. He is ruining our national football team. We all remember the brilliant days of Beckham, Owen, Scholes, a young Rooney of only a few years back when we could beat anybody in the world on our day. :(

But we didn't...

It's hardly Capello's fault Beckham got old, Owen got injured and Scholes retired. Plus Rooney will keep getting older no matter who the manager is.

kolinkins
17-11-2010, 08:40 PM

You'd be saying that even if England were winning

Brumie Allan
17-11-2010, 08:40 PM
This is so bad

RDSdaEAGLE
17-11-2010, 08:42 PM
England have no shape, and their tactics are all wrong.

If you're going to play a holding centre-forward like Carroll, at least play him alongside players who will provide him with some form of service.

Walcott keeps checking inside and hasn't provided a single cross yet. The midfield keep lumping it up to Carroll with absolutely no-one looking to run on to his flick-ons.

Added to that, the entire team is stretched out with the midfield failing to support the attack and slow to defend.

Look how close the French players are to each other - they are compact but they are doing things very simply, making it all look very easy in the process.

Mike Elwiss
17-11-2010, 08:43 PM
France are so good on the ball while England just want to get rid asap

limited_edition
17-11-2010, 08:45 PM
France,unlike england did the right thing after their world cup debacle.Total change,from the coach right through to the bad apples in the team.I was out in france and saw their last 2 euro qualifiers and they are streets ahead of england in all departments.For all their fall outs in the summer, technically, they have very good players like Gourcuff, Nasri, Maloudi and Benzema for instance.

Technically, even at full strength, we have a lot of overrated players at international level living off their club reps. Unlike France, our movement off the ball is minimal.

philsick
17-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Are you basing this on the more or less reserve team we have out tonight ?

No,tonight is a meaningless.I mean general.I didn't see the montenegro match,but i've seen all the others and nothings really changed IMO.The whole of english football needs a massive rethink.From kids sunday league,through to the england team.

the kooch
17-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Capello is ruining England

No.

sirdougie
17-11-2010, 08:47 PM
France are so good on the ball while England just want to get rid asap

And on those occasions where France do misplace a pass or lose possession, England are too pants to capitalise

Danny boy
17-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Carroll has won every long ball to him

Palaceand30
17-11-2010, 08:50 PM

This is the future....get used to it:eek:

philsick
17-11-2010, 08:51 PM
long ball

Says it all really

gold76
17-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Lack bite in the centre of the park.

Would chuck the much maligned Bothroyd on at half time for Milner, a bit of extra firepower up top.

kabbott
17-11-2010, 08:52 PM

Can only agree unfortunately.

gold76
17-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Liked the James May ad for Fullers pride, not seen that before!

JamTheEagle
17-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Says it all really

Not surprising given Capello's once again awful tactics, just inviting all the pressure onto us.

The sooner someone like Wilshere is experienced enough to be starting for England the better I say. We have no creative mid-fielders at all.

kabbott
17-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I suppose I'll be in for some Gallic banter tomorrow at work if this goes on. :(

Neillo's Son
17-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Gareth Barry is absolutely dreadful? He contributes very little, needs two touches before releasing the ball and is so one paced.

How Scott Parker isn't above him in the pecking order is beyond me...

Edit - just seen a couple of previous comments about him. I'm relieved I'm not the only one!

Danny boy
17-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Gareth Barry is absolutely dreadful? He contributes very little, needs two touches before releasing the ball and is so one paced.

Your not the only one

JamTheEagle
17-11-2010, 08:57 PM

No you aren't - he is a shadow of the player he was at Villa where he used to be an attacking threat as well as being good defensively.

dannyboy1807
17-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Classic Gareth Southgate

" Malouda is playing in-between the defence and forwards" Gareth mate they call that the midfield!

Mike Elwiss
17-11-2010, 09:01 PM
It all goes back to the fact that the premier league means that we have a poor national side.
Until a limit on foreign players is brought in we are always going to be second best.
Proof of this is that England are picking players who have had very little top flight experience.Even Bothroyd can get in the squad.

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 09:01 PM
I suppose I'll be in for some Gallic banter tomorrow at work if this goes on. :(

Even bearing in mind this and the last game England played were crap we do qualify ;)

No matter how bad we are .........:p

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 09:02 PM
It all goes back to the fact that the premier league means that we have a poor national side.
Until a limit on foreign players is brought in we are always going to be second best.
Proof of this is that England are picking players who have had very little top flight experience.Even Bothroyd can get in the squad.

Spot on.

Shipp Ahoy!
Such a lack of attacking pace it's crazy, we get the ball and pass it around between the defenders for 5 minutes before we go forward. It's so painful and pointless, gives the other team to walk back and mark up meaning by the time we do go forward there is no space and no options.

keithywonder
Your not the only one

Neither are you, shocking player for England. But then the whole team are inept.Less Carroll

Shipp Ahoy!
17-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Classic Gareth Southgate

" Malouda is playing in-between the defence and forwards" Gareth mate they call that the midfield!

Erm he said defence and midfield :confused:

sirdougie
17-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm glad to see Johnson come on.... and Mexes to go off

Mike Elwiss
17-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Glad to see Barry off & Johnson on

eagle101
17-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Glad I'm not watching this :cool:

David of Kent
17-11-2010, 09:07 PM
So far, awful.

No confidence in possession and very few options, when the French have the ball there are always options.

Gerrard has reverted back to playing "hollywood" passes every time, even when deep in his own half when it's better to just try and relieve the pressure and keep the ball for a while.

Jagielka is definitely no longer a right back. A position he used to look good in years back at Sheffield. Now definitely a centre back.

Lescott and Ferdinand have looked good.

Gibbs and Walcott look like players that don't play much first team football, particularly of late.

Carroll looks promising.

Henderson, I just can't judge. Can't remember him touching the ball.

Milner is full of effort and at least makes the opposition work.

Foster has looked what he is, Hart's number two.

Barry has been woeful pretty much since he went to Manchester City. If possible he seems to have even lost pace and he was slow to begin with. He's completely a different player to the dynamic guy that was in Villa's midfield a couple of years back and, as has been said, how Parker doesn't warrant the place ahead of him is a mystery.

C'mon the 2nd half England

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 09:07 PM

Good for you saves you commenting on it ...

eagle101
17-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Good for you saves you commenting on it ...

I'm keeping up with it, BBC text commentary and on here, and it's made me glad I'm not actually watching it. If that makes sense? :)

keithywonder
17-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Switched over, watching The Apprentice.

Mike Elwiss
17-11-2010, 09:13 PM
always funny to see the seats in the middle empty after half time.
Prawn sandwich brigade !!

sirdougie
17-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Switched over, watching The Apprentice.

No matter how bad England are, they are not that bad!

Mike Elwiss
17-11-2010, 09:15 PM
2-0 easy

cpfcfan1
17-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Very good goal again

David of Kent
17-11-2010, 09:16 PM
This is embarassingly easy for the French

ollie_porter
17-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Very good goal again

Sagna had all the time in the world to cross it in. Embarrassing.

the digger
17-11-2010, 09:17 PM
No protection for Gibbs all night.

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Good goal but again no defence

This could be 3 or 4 nil in the end.

Scrumpy
17-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm not actually bothered that were losing tbh

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Good for you again.

Mike Elwiss

I dont think that the players are either

the digger
Another long ball, and back it comes again. The most unbelievable thing is how many of the things England are getting wrong are things we would criticise a Championship team for doing.

Oh, and Stevie G is a dick.

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 09:24 PM
As long as we win the ones that matter but feck I hope it's not this team

the digger
17-11-2010, 09:24 PM

Unfortunately the performance is more important than the result, and the score is better than the performance.

Abjekt
17-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm the token Froggy in my office and I've already had texts telling me to do something awkward to myself.

Still, I just got home and turned it on, so here comes my bad luck and here comes England's fightback no doubt.

exiledeagle1
17-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Why does England play the wingers on the opposite sides when they also play a target man who thrives on crosses. It can be ok when its someone like Rooney but not Carroll.

limited_edition
17-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Merci for the mercy the French are bestowing on us. They are taking off the goalscorers.

the digger
17-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Bothroyd for a 20 minute hattrick?

Mike Elwiss
Bothroyd ha ha .what a joke England are

patch
Painful viewing this

philsick
17-11-2010, 09:32 PM
As long as we win the ones that matter

The trouble is they don't.Qualifiying for tourno's and limping through the group stages is the best that can be expected now and i think its going to get worse in the future unless there are big changes in english football.

Danny boy
17-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Sub our best player today. Well done Capello

BulletEagle
17-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Sack Capello. Sack all the players. Start again.

Mike Elwiss
17-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Sub our best player today. Well done Capello

Trouble is he was knackered because of playing up on his own chasing long balls

Sick Bucket
17-11-2010, 09:41 PM

Me neither, wierd, maybe the reality check for Eng players and fans will do us good, bunch of primadona w@nkers perhaps not as great as you think you are. I´ve always supported Palace and England but I really don´t think I´ve ever been more disconnected with the Eng squad then now, losing 0-2 to France at wembley, couldn´t give a toss - that I would feel like that is completely unthinkable 10 years ago

bern5161
17-11-2010, 09:41 PM
second pot for the little spanish looking kid to pick the coloured ball out of

JamTheEagle
17-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Not to jump on a bandwagon but neither am I so long as Capello quitting comes as a result of a loss, be it this one or any other.

cpfcfan1
17-11-2010, 09:46 PM
2 1

Crouchy

bern5161
17-11-2010, 09:46 PM
le freak c'est chic

exiledeagle1
17-11-2010, 09:47 PM
prolific.....

Sick Bucket
Gerrard limps off -go on fu(k off hope it hurts - Crouch on, mad scores on first touch whilst typing, was going to say mad beacuase someone on the pitch in a Eng shirt who I don´t think is a total Ahole

JamTheEagle
I was going to say the only thing that could make this worse is if Crouch comes on and scores and everyone bums him.

exiledeagle1
17-11-2010, 09:49 PM
I was going to say the only thing that could make this worse is if Crouch comes on and scores and everyone bums him.

His bums too high.

the digger
17-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Gerrard limps off -go on fu(k off hope it hurts - Crouch on, mad scores on first touch whilst typing, was going to say mad beacuase someone on the pitch in a Eng shirt who I don´t think is a total Ahole

You don't think Crouch is an Ahole? :eek:

JamTheEagle
His bums too high.

You made me laugh, have a greeny.

LLCOOLSTEVE
Crouch is a legend

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Lot of people on this thread holding their breath just in case England score again ;)

bern5161
17-11-2010, 09:54 PM
if jay bothroyd can play for england so can i
and i'm german
not really
but i'm better in the air

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 09:56 PM
if jay bothroyd can play for england so can i
and i'm german
not really
but i'm better in the air

You fly a plane ?

exiledeagle1
17-11-2010, 09:57 PM
luftwaffe?

bern5161
17-11-2010, 09:57 PM
tail gunner

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 10:00 PM
It's gone quite on here...... hello ??????

Les Butler
17-11-2010, 10:01 PM
FT off you go...

We were shit mind.

Sick Bucket
17-11-2010, 10:03 PM
You don't think Crouch is an Ahole? :eek:

I like him, I think he´s a decent guy and a good football, and just for the record I was saying that before he picked up his first cap, I know he looks like a lanky streek of p!ss but he can clearly play a bit.

Pistol Knight
17-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Couldnt bring myself to watch that jumped up bunch of posers, with an idiot of a manager, the FA think everything is rosey in their garden, they nedd to think on, I really cant be arsed with the England team anymore, or should I say the preimer leauge first 11

exiledeagle1
17-11-2010, 10:10 PM
With England bidding for the world cup this was just a ploy to keep Platini happy...:)

Joooe
Improved second half. France just have a much better class of play (and player).

Still almost knicked a draw!

ITV commentary and Wembley crowd as shit as ever.

Skiddo
I really want us to do well but it's hard to like anything about the England football set-up at all.

I can't even be arsed to be annoyed about it anymore :confused:

rusheslake
17-11-2010, 10:15 PM
is it just me or does the bloody ITV music for the football get right on your tits????
Same old England, we dont seem to have changed much after the WC, unlike the French who look half decent now
At least most of you dont have to go and face your local French bar owner who is gonna take Le Piss big style !!!!

Chillo
17-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I fell asleep during the first half - woke up when the phone went off. :S:

Watched 10 mins of second half and then turned over to the cricket highlights.

Turned back for the end - saw 2nd French goal and Crouch's goal.

limited_edition
17-11-2010, 10:24 PM
We were merde. It was les hommes contre les garçons.

917L
17-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Pretty poor fare TBH

Gerrard was particularly awful, repeated 50 yard diagonals straight to a French player

Ferdinand barely tried to make a block for the 1st goal

Not a lot of positives

Hard to believe the transformation in France

HurstpierPalace
17-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I like him, I think he´s a decent guy and a good football.

I disagree. He's pretty lanky and not very round. Wouldn't roll very well ;)

leicester1
17-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Disapointing,how many times have we said that.

At least it was a friendly and once back to the serious business of the Euro's we are the Top Dog so far in the group so no need to panic.

SA Eagle
17-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Ferdinand barely tried to make a block for the 1st goal

Thank you! Let's not also forget the fact that it was him that gave away possession that led to them passing it through us to score. Dread to think of the diatribe that would have followed on here had the likes of Upson, Lescott, Jagielka or god forbid Terry done that.

Te Pouakai
17-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Hard to believe the transformation in France

The French probably have a better pool of home grown talent to develop a new team from and Laurent Blanc is probably a much better choice of manager to do the job than his predecessor.

Domenech was prima donna of the highest order, just like during his playing days, seconded only by the manner in which Platini conducts himself, especially given his overt hatred of all things English in the game and not being shy to tell that to the media.

That said, from what I just read of tonight's England performance ....... :(

Shipp Ahoy!
17-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Wasn't a great perrformance but I think people should bare in mind:

We lost 2-1 to a decent French side with 8 senior starters out. Personally of those 8 Lampard, Terry and Johnson don't represent a major improvement but even then that least half the side missing.

Hardly a disaster for English football tonight, my main problem is with Capello and his negative style of play which we won't get anywhere with.

Celestial Empire
17-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Pretty poor fare TBH

Gerrard was particularly awful, repeated 50 yard diagonals straight to a French player

Typical Gerrard. He averages one outstanding game, one half-decent, and three bad'uns, in every five. And has built a "glittering" career on it.
Jagielka also looked particularly bad - shame, I've always liked him.

Maiden Eagle
17-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Just watched the highlights (couldn't be bothered to watch live - I preferred to watch the Apprentice). Same old story - England are always outclassed by any half decent team.
We will only ever have a chance of improving our National Team if
A. People get their heads out of their backsides and realise that the P'Shit is not that good
and
B. People realise that most of the best players in the P'Shit are Foreign.

the kooch
18-11-2010, 04:58 AM
Great defending by Gerrard for Valbuena's goal. :clown:

2-3 glorified youngsters playing is not going to change the team, no one should expect anything from this team as long as players like Crouch, Bothroyd, Davies and Carroll are considered as strikers. The likes of Milner and Barry shouldn't play anymore as well, they have the widest torsos in the history of football.

France looked class (from the highlights). They have a great bunch of players and could win the Euro 2012. In fact I'll put some money on it now.

Arron
18-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Some people need to realise that the problem isn't Cappelo, it's the fact that from an early age footballers in this country are told that technical ability comes second to being able to hit the ball long and run around around like headless chickens. Watching the French last night was a prime example. Whenever a French player was on the ball he almost always had teamates 10-15 yards away who he could pop the ball to. In that way they moved the ball fluidly down the pitch. When an England player picked the ball up deep all his teamates just scattered with nobody moving towards the ball which normally resulted in an aimless hoof upfield in the general direction of Carroll.

Until the FA wake up and realise that the coaching in this country, from grass roots right up to the top, is completely screwed then we will win nothing and continue to be embarrased by teams with far better technical abiity. Unfortunately it could take 10-15 years to see any benefit from any changes to the coaching set-up and I'm not sure that either the FA or some of the more brain-dead England fans will accept this. At the end of the day it doesn't matter who the England manager is, the players are just not good enough.

Adlerhorst
18-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Futsal is the answer

kolinkins
18-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Last 2 posts spot on

philsick
18-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Some people need to realise that the problem isn't Cappelo, it's the fact that from an early age footballers in this country are told that technical ability comes second to being able to hit the ball long and run around around like headless chickens. Watching the French last night was a prime example. Whenever a French player was on the ball he almost always had teamates 10-15 yards away who he could pop the ball to. In that way they moved the ball fluidly down the pitch. When an England player picked the ball up deep all his teamates just scattered with nobody moving towards the ball which normally resulted in an aimless hoof upfield in the general direction of Carroll.

Until the FA wake up and realise that the coaching in this country, from grass roots right up to the top, is completely screwed then we will win nothing and continue to be embarrased by teams with far better technical abiity. Unfortunately it could take 10-15 years to see any benefit from any changes to the coaching set-up and I'm not sure that either the FA or some of the more brain-dead England fans will accept this. At the end of the day it doesn't matter who the England manager is, the players are just not good enough.

Exactly.I tried to say similair on here during the match,but les and klinx thought i was being anti england.

My son goes to an academy where they just concentrate on technique.The bloke who runs it,works with a few london clubs academies, including a premiership club and 2 championship ones.He also spends alot of time working in other european countries.We were talking about this last week and he said england are falling so far behind in coaching and facilities its scary.There is no investment where it is needed,as most of the money in football goes on players wages.

Most kids teams are run by one kids dad with hardly any coaching ability and as you say,kids with decent technical ability take second place to big lads who can tackle hard and boot the ball a long way.I thought things may change after the world cup,where it was so evident that even teams like algeria looked more comfortable than england,but unfortunately not.

I thought johnson and young looked like englands best prospects when they came on.But i'm sure a player like milner will be prefered to them come the big games.

Sick Bucket
18-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Yeah I grew up playing football in Holland, where the facilities for all sports and pitches are fantastic, everything is subsidized by the government, we had training twice a week by a qualified coach, in the winter there was a break so they would organise 5 a side tournaments indoors, in the summer they had all day football competitions. When I came to London as a nieve 18 year old I ended up playing for the duke of wellington, pitch was like a battle field and on a side of a hill, changing rooms all the windows were smashed, covered in grafitti and stank of p!ss, half my team would turn up drunk Sunday morning and with the objective of starting a fight, I got 3/4 of the way through the season when somebody kicked me up in the air for going round him and broke my arm. I gave up playing football in England after that, took it up again 4 years later when I moved back to Holland.

CPFC_DAVE77
18-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Out of 10 how did the Chavs play last night?

eaglejez
18-11-2010, 09:24 AM

100% correct. Its what I've been saying for years. We could be England managers (why pay someone 6m pa !!). The system / players are just not good enough.

The only positive from last night is that people who support decent sides know what we have to put up with every match ie WE NEVER HAVE THE FRIGGIN BALL FOR MORE THAN 20 SECS :(

Icy
18-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Out of 10 how did the Chavs play last night?

Gooders
18-11-2010, 09:26 AM
I watched the whole game. It was a very strange team we put out (picking quite a few players that can't even get in their club sides) but having said that, the French team was of exactly the same level of international experience and wiped the floor with us, basically.

Henderson was as anonymous as you would expect a raw player promoted before his time to be; Barry is a slow, useless, lump and should not be picked again.

Gerrard had a real off day, Milner too - not in the game enough and poor decision making on a number of occasions.

Gibbs is not a very good defender and is another who is nowhere near ready for this step up - how about we see if he can dislodge Clichy before we even consider whether he's international class?

Foster was not very good - should have done much better with their first goal and looked shaky all night.

Lescott. Ha ha, where to begin - awful, awful player. And criminally for this level all he can do when he does win it is hooooooooooof. Badly. Straight to them on nearly every occasion. Another that shouldn't be seen again at this level.

Ferdinand played quite well. Richards looked marginally better at right back than the bloke from Everton, but neither is really good enough.

Carroll did pretty well in trying circumstances I thought - certainly enough to warrant some more chances anyway.

Young looked way short of what's required at this level (as he does every time he's picked, IMHO) and the kid on the right wing did nothing of note last night but should be persevered with.

Bothroyd didn't get much chance to shine. The freak did what the freak does.

If that's the (second) best England can do, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to challenge for a trophy - France, a team that was in more disarray than we were a few short months ago, pissed all over us.

gold76
18-11-2010, 09:46 AM
A few observations:

Crouch should start more games, his goals to games ratio is very good.

Carroll deserves another go, hopefully he can curb his off field stuff as he's been given a great opportunity.

I'd like to see Cahill given a chance at the back at some point

We really missed Cole at left back

It's a shame Scholes retired early, we lack a bit of grit & bite in the centre.

kolinkins
18-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Exactly.I tried to say similair on here during the match,but les and klinx thought i was being anti england.

My son goes to an academy where they just concentrate on technique.The bloke who runs it,works with a few london clubs academies, including a premiership club and 2 championship ones.He also spends alot of time working in other european countries.We were talking about this last week and he said england are falling so far behind in coaching and facilities its scary.There is no investment where it is needed,as most of the money in football goes on players wages.

Most kids teams are run by one kids dad with hardly any coaching ability and as you say,kids with decent technical ability take second place to big lads who can tackle hard and boot the ball a long way.I thought things may change after the world cup,where it was so evident that even teams like algeria looked more comfortable than england,but unfortunately not.

I thought johnson and young looked like englands best prospects when they came on.But i'm sure a player like milner will be prefered to them come the big games.

Apart from the early dig at me, I totally agree with your post - see my post here: http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?p=5470677 (post 6)

Freddy Kurz
18-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Although watching this friendly from an England point of view was a very
depressing experience, it did serve to emphasise the lack of home-bred
creative midfield/forwards in the English game, which is why top Premier
league clubs import so many of the latter from France, Spain & Brazil,
the African continent etc.

Most of the best English players playibg for Premier League clubs rely for
their creativity on foreign stars, with the English players invariably
taking on the roles of work-horses,and hod-carriers, with just a few
un-creative, but skilful dead-ball specialists & finishers like Gerrard &
Lampard. This was glaringly reflected in the performances of the
England and French teams last night. France had all the flair &
creative players, England relied entirely on it's cart-horses.....

Just how many English creative midfiend/forwards can people name
in the Premier League apart from the perpetually injured Joe Cole,
who have the kind of skills approaching those of the best foreign
players in the Premier League?

The FA needs to give urgent priority to the establishment of the
long-awaited national football academy, where the essential skills
needed for youngsters to become creative footballers can then be
taught and spread throughout all our Academies. It is the only
way England will have any chance of catching up with, let alone,
competing on level terms with the world's elite footballing nations.

kolinkins
18-11-2010, 10:12 AM
As for the actual game and the players that played, it's difficult to judge as ideally, they would not be playing together and would be blended in with a full strength team around them.

Foster - looked unsure of himself. But then, it must be hard knowing that the number 1 is and will remain the number 1 for the next 12 years.

Jagielka - been ill all week, hardly trained and played in a position where he has not played for a number of years. Would much rather have seen him in the centre where he looks decent

Rio - Did OK, clearly looking after himself.

Lescott - my only major gripe with Capello is the chances he keeps giving him. Cahill and Smalling were in the squad, one of them should have been given 90 minutes.

Gibbs - being dealt with harshly. Just back from injury, first start. Think he'll go on to be an excellent left-back when he gets going.

Henderson - felt for him playing with an out of form Barry can not have been fun

Barry - Funny old game, isn't it? A player who I didn't rate, won me over under Capello, but has lost it since going to Man City. Would rather retain Henderson and start him with Gerrard next time

Walcott - did what Walcott does

Milner - see Barry. Was a good and improving player until he moved for the bucks

Gerrard - an off day, but he's allowed them once in a while. Plus, played through with an injury so credit to him for that

Carroll - it's hard to judge a debuting striker when the team around him is new or off form

Johnson must must must be a starter every game. With everyone fit, I'd go for:

--------------------------------Hart-----------------------------

Onuaha ----------Rio------------------Jagielka---------Cole

------------------Wilshire-------------Gerrard--------------

Walcott------------------------------------------------Johnson

---------------------Rooney---------------------------------

------------------------------------Carroll/Defoe--------------

selhurstparkflyer
18-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Carroll? Per lease

kolinkins
18-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Someone to hold the ball up - young and in form. Who else do you suggest?

Crouch cannot hold the ball
Cole is not good enough
Heskey has retired
Zamora is injured

Big Blue Eagle
18-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I only watched the first half - so depressing to see the way that France passed us off the pitch but equally only to be expected given the playing style of so much of the Premiership and the lack of English players in the teams who do play good football.

It is a sad state of affairs when our left back has to be a Premiership reserve. Given a fully fit & firing squad, there are some givens in any England team - namely:

GK:Hart
LB:A Cole
CB:Ferdinand
CM: Gerrard
CM: Lampard
FWD: Rooney

That leaves 5 places where there is no obvious first choice - right back, a second centre back, wide midfielders and/or a holding midfielder and a second striker. That is a sad and worrying state of affairs

pardew's shorts
18-11-2010, 11:02 AM
The problems with English football mainly lay at source; it's been apparent to me since I was a kid myself, and it seems that the World Cup debacle has brought it firmly into view for many others.

Young children in Britain are raised playing on full-size pitches, and are encouraged to win at all costs, which leads to a default position of lumping it to the traditional number 9. Players are pigeon-holed into positions from an early age, and are wrongly advised by pushy parents - the same people who start groaning at Palace when we play possession football amongst the defence and midfield.

We have shockingly few youth coaches, and only a select few are probably good enough, if we're brutally honest. Technique is not worked on nearly enough; as has been mentioned, futsal is key. Young footballers should be playing it every day, on small-sized pitches, whilst being rotated in positions and not worrying about winning. The Conservatives, whilst cutting school sports budgets significantly, have been bemoaning the lack of competitive edge in school sports, and saying the emphasis should be on winning - that is totally wrong, in my view.

Generally we are a naive nation in football terms. Many fans, players and coaches are tactically unsophisticated, and the answer to on-field problems is always to revert to 4-4-2. Our problems don't stem from a lack of passion; it's technique, pure and simple, and sides like Stoke and Blackburn don't help the national team by playing such agricultural, ugly, win-at-all-costs football.

Long-term, we're looking at big problems for the national team unless big improvements are implemented at youth level. Conversely, however, the short-to medium future could be quite bright in my opinion; Hart, Gibbs, Clyne, Jones, Cahill, Henderson, Adam Johnson, Moses, Walcott, Wilshere, Rodwell, McEachran, Zaha, Wickham et al all have enormous potential (I imagine most of those have developed in spite of the system, except the Palace players of course ;) ).

Capello's problem is that he can't implement all the young players at once, and he's persecuted whatever he does. He was criticised for sticking rigidly to 4-4-2, yet when he experiments with 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, he's still criticised. He's criticised for sticking to the same old faces, yet when he injects plenty of youth into a squad, he's still criticised.

Last night was poor, and exposed the technical failings many of our players have; fortunately, it was mainly the older players who displayed such poor technique. The young players mentioned above all largely have excellent technique.

It's harsh to criticise Gibbs and Henderson. Gibbs has only played 20 minutes all season, but we were right to play him - the alternative was Warnock, which would hardly be forward thinking. Henderson was making his debut in a team that was largely going back-to-front, and he was playing alongside the pedestrian Barry, who hasn't played well for England for 2 years.

It was disappointing to see Milner struggle, though he was markedly better when he was moved inside. He was absolutely thriving playing central midfield for Villa. Unfortunately, since his move, he's played largely in wide roles for City and England, which no longer suits his game.

Icy
18-11-2010, 11:28 AM
The Rio of old was a great defender. Now he looks poor. I thought he was next to useless last night and appears utterly unsuited to the Captains role.

Celestial Empire
18-11-2010, 12:31 PM
The only positive from last night is that people who support decent sides know what we have to put up with every match ie WE NEVER HAVE THE FRIGGIN BALL FOR MORE THAN 20 SECS :(

Nah, the "England Supporters" are a special breed of zombie-like oafs, who will take any old crap, sing their same few brain dead ditties, (indispersed with occasional renderings of God Save the Queen), travel around the world drinking and rioting "for England", hero-worship disgusting human beings who happen to have blagged an England shirt, and always come back for more.
The FA knows well what it can get away with.

Palestinian
18-11-2010, 12:59 PM

Didn’t watch and don’t really care about England, but listened to comments from Graham Taylor on Five Live whilst washing up he gave a helpful reminder (which to paraphrase) was that while Sky doesn’t help with the number of foreign players, we’ve only won one international trophy when we were at home in 1966, and apart from Italia 1990 have never got close to international silverware.

Without changes in the way in which we approach the game this will never change – we can replace the manager, we can change the players but the skill level isn’t there. We will generally continue to qualify for the major tournaments, but always come unstuck against the top nations that understand how to play football and have the skills to match. We either need to change the whole structure of football to improve skill levels or just accept if we get to the QF of a major championship, that’s a good result.

Celestial Empire
18-11-2010, 01:05 PM
The FA needs to give urgent priority to the establishment of the
long-awaited national football academy, where the essential skills
needed for youngsters to become creative footballers can then be
taught and spread throughout all our Academies. It is the only
way England will have any chance of catching up with, let alone,
competing on level terms with the world's elite footballing nations.

IMHO, exactly wrong Fred.
This is not the English way.
If you think back to before the Prem and the flood of foreign players, we relied on inspirational, far sighted managers, rising to the top in the fiercely competitive league pyramid.
They were perfectly capable of identifying, developing and nurturing most of our most talented players.

Now the whole game is swamped with foreign players and foreign staff, making the Prem a compelling and high standard competition for the uncommitted armchair fans at home and abroad. That was deliberate, not some sort of unfortunate accident.

The development of young English players depends on the graces of Wenger, Benitez, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Ferguson and even Martinez, who are far too busy to worry about "English youth". The Brit managers - Redknapp, Allardyce, Moyes and co. are practical men, whose business is the art of short-term survival for smallish clubs.
Ferguson has been around for yonks - just look at his development: initially bringing on a whole generation of excellent young English players .... now desperately trawling overseas for "stars" he can afford. It tells you all you need to know about the modern English game.

It is the FA who have systematically allowed this to happen, they are now just the PR arm of the Prem. Allowing them to run some sort of super-academy, would result in most of the stand-out young players being creamed off, to be groomed and softened up for direct channelling to the Prem "elite clubs".
They are unhappy about the number of young talents who still end up at clubs like Palace, and then might even have to be purchased at great expense by these "elite clubs" shock horror!!:hmph:

Gary Issott would either end up being lured away to the "super academy" by a vast salary offer, or would be given his instructions by this "academy" - maybe to keep them informed on a month by month basis, on the progress of any talents who have escaped the FA bureaucratichoover.

You have to rid yourself of this absurd notion that the FA is in any sense interested in the health of English football.:rolleyes: ;)

eaglejez
18-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Nah, the "England Supporters" are a special breed of zombie-like oafs, who will take any old crap, sing their same few brain dead ditties, (indispersed with occasional renderings of God Save the Queen), travel around the world drinking and rioting "for England", hero-worship disgusting human beings who happen to have blagged an England shirt, and always come back for more.

I'm guessing you haven't been to any England matches away recently then

Celestial Empire
18-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm guessing you haven't been to any England matches away recently then

Thanks for the complement. I would like to think that I am not a zomby-like oaf, but modesty ... aw shucks .. :o

Elephant with mouse gyp
18-11-2010, 01:35 PM
People are being a bit harsh on what was an OK performance in a friendly against a good team.

Carroll and Young did really well and most of the others weren't too bad. In the first half, France won it in central midfield, where England had a new cap and often a man fewer.

postman plod
18-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Lauren Blanc's column in the Independent highlighted one of English footballs biggest problems that is currently plagueing our national game, namely the trend of talented young players being lured from the smaller clubs like Palace, to the so called elite.
The fact that talented players are prepared to rot in the elite's reserves, rather than learn from seasoned pros at a lower level is incredibly short sighted.I don't blame the players in any way, who wouldn't want to play at the bigger clubs?
Sadly therein lies the problem.These players aren't playing, they are at best watching from the bench.It's fine for the so called experts to go on about training and learning from the best,but there can be no substitute for first team football.
In my humble opinion, until the FA address this problem as a matter of urgency, as a country we will never succeed at the top level.:sob:

SpikeyMatt
18-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Futsal is the answer

:)

Started coaching some under 8s on it the other week. They (and the parents) love it.

Give it another couple of weeks and I reckon the difference will be hugely noticeable.

Louis
18-11-2010, 08:33 PM
:) Started coaching some under 8s on it the other week. They (and the parents) love it.

Give it another couple of weeks and I reckon the difference will be hugely noticeable.
Keep us posted in that case ... sounds interesting.

Adlerhorst
18-11-2010, 08:38 PM
:)

Started coaching some under 8s on it the other week. They (and the parents) love it.

Give it another couple of weeks and I reckon the difference will be hugely noticeable.I didn't start playing until 21 at university. Crying shame it was not around when I was eight.

Played pivot. Utterly loved it.

Stavros 69
18-11-2010, 09:08 PM
I didn't start playing until 21 at university. Crying shame it was not around when I was eight.

Were you working on your tax skills at school ??

SpikeyMatt
18-11-2010, 09:41 PM
I didn't start playing until 21 at university. Crying shame it was not around when I was eight.

Ditto to all of that (though I was 20).

Has done wonders for my 11-a-side game. First touch and composure on the ball, especially.

Can't wait to see how it works over the medium term with the young'uns :)

Budgie Byrne
18-11-2010, 11:31 PM
interesting blog on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2010/11/hoddle_restores_an_english_inf.html

Budgie Byrne
18-11-2010, 11:43 PM

With respect this is rather an insult to the vast majority of England fans, including myself and fanily, not to mention many Palace regulars who follow England home and away.

I will never forget coming back from England v Columbia at Lens, France 98 how many familar Palace faces we saw on Le Shuttle on route back to England in the early hours of the morning.

Also saw lots of Palace at England v Germany in Euro 2000 and despite the media coverage there was a lot of mixing and good humour between England and German fans.

You really should not fall for the media sterotypes:rolleyes:

eaglejez
19-11-2010, 08:59 AM
With respect this is rather an insult to the vast majority of England fans, including myself and fanily, not to mention many Palace regulars who follow England home and away.

I will never forget coming back from England v Columbia at Lens, France 98 how many familar Palace faces we saw on Le Shuttle on route back to England in the early hours of the morning.

Also saw lots of Palace at England v Germany in Euro 2000 and despite the media coverage there was a lot of mixing and good humour between England and German fans.

You really should not fall for the media sterotypes:rolleyes:

yep. No point in worrying about it. There's always a wadge of people that come on the England threads to try and look cool. As mentioned England have got their house 99% in order whereas other countries are miles behind. Unfortunately quite a few in England are still a few years behind :(

CPFC_DAVE77
19-11-2010, 09:16 AM
the same people who start groaning at Palace when we play possession football amongst the defence and midfield.

I hate that more than anything at Palace. These people wpuld rather see us lose possession as long as it's lumpd. Mindless fools from the school of Warnock

eaglejez
19-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I hate that more than anything at Palace. These people wpuld rather see us lose possession as long as it's lumpd. Mindless fools from the school of Warnock

none of the teams I support ever have the ball :(

Mad Raschic Ken
21-11-2010, 12:10 PM
yep. No point in worrying about it. There's always a wadge of people that come on the England threads to try and look cool. As mentioned England have got their house 99% in order whereas other countries are miles behind. Unfortunately quite a few in England are still a few years behind :(

I've been watching England away since 2006 and have never seen any bother at all. Every trip has been a great experience (although the football hasn't always been the best part of the trip of course). There have been more issues at Palace games over that time than at England games. I've had a good laugh with the home fans in plenty of the countries I've been to. It's been a real carnival type atmosphere at most games.