PDA

View Full Version : Self Assesment Tax Returns

sw16girl
27-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I fecking hate them:veryangry

And I hate the January Deadline :veryangry

And I hate the fact that everytime I think I understand capital allowances they change the rules :veryangry

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!

Eye-dee
27-01-2011, 10:34 PM
I have to do all my accounts, and for the first time, all my own self-assessment . . . . . . tomorrow!!
I shall probably regret ditching my accountant :(

disco mixx kidd
27-01-2011, 10:36 PM
onlines ok............

thought it was by end october....................... last year :-)

greenlight
27-01-2011, 10:48 PM
DONE MINE!!!:lux: :lux: :lux:

jason smint
27-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Just done mine online half an hour ago.

I've only been self employed for under 2 years and it was my 1st tax return, and I'm owed quite a bit of money.

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive your refund?

Thanks in advance :)

Pistol Knight
27-01-2011, 11:41 PM
The money for an accountant is tax deductable.................DOH

why bother with self assement, he will never beleive thats what you earn!

Pistol Knight
27-01-2011, 11:41 PM

I've only been self employed for under 2 years and it was my 1st tax return, and I'm owed quite a bit of money.

never, he will deduct it off your next return, or until the time when he owes you nothing lol

ebyeeckeagle
27-01-2011, 11:44 PM

Up to 3 months at this time in my, limited, experience (I normally owe). That's if everything is okay. Normally, a month or 2 (if all docs are clear) but they obviosuly have a backlog right now!

gadford4th
27-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I forgot to save when I was adding things up. Ended up with the form timing out and I had to redo a load of sums again. Wasn't happy

Brumie Allan
28-01-2011, 12:04 AM

And I hate the fact that everytime I think I understand capital allowances they change the rules :veryangry

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!I've used taxcalc (http://taxcalc.com/) for about 10 years now it good because it has all the tax note with it and you can play about with the figures before putting it on line. and next year you just load this years and all the details are entered and it shows the difference between last year and the current year well worth the money full customer support as well

Chillo
28-01-2011, 12:19 AM
I have to do all my accounts, and for the first time, all my own self-assessment . . . . . . tomorrow!!
I shall probably regret ditching my accountant :(

I have a very good accountant I could recommend - he's just demonstrated a big overpayment by me, so I'm due a large sum back :lux:

His fee for doing my tax return is much much less than the saving he has made for me.

I've also just filed my first Annual Report at Companies House, very straightforward and a bargain at 15. :lux:

Eye-dee
28-01-2011, 08:05 AM
I have a very good accountant I could recommend - he's just demonstrated a big overpayment by me, so I'm due a large sum back :lux:

His fee for doing my tax return is much much less than the saving he has made for me.

I've also just filed my first Annual Report at Companies House, very straightforward and a bargain at 15. :lux:

My accountant charged 350, and to be fair, all he had to do was add up all the figures I gave him and submit my form, no more than a couple of hours work I reckon.

Eye-dee
28-01-2011, 08:06 AM
I forgot to save when I was adding things up. Ended up with the form timing out and I had to redo a load of sums again. Wasn't happy

Thanks for that tip, I shall remember to save if I stop for coffee or something :D

jjeagle
28-01-2011, 08:13 AM

I've been a sole trader for 7 years now. Signed my accounts off back in November. 11 working days later l received a cheque from the revenue!!! 11 bloody days!!!:lux: My return though was submitted by my accountant so possibly your first online accounts might take longer to be approved.

stinky
28-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Tax doesn't have to be taxing

Good bless you Moira

James
28-01-2011, 09:02 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!I hate the whole process - and this year has been the very worst for me.

My Accountant has told me that I have a massive tax liability that I wasn't expecting.

January is such a miserable month anyway - and the S.A. deadline makes it 10x worse.

Daddy Long
28-01-2011, 09:08 AM
My first self assessment as a non resident. I received a letter dated 16th December yesterday. This letter advises me that I have until 31st January to complete the SA. Ok. So I go online and register and it tells me I'll get an activation code in the post within 7 days! I think it will take a little longer to get to Sydney! So basically I'm going to get the 100 squids fine. I called them up and explained my predicament and they rather helpfully told me I could appeal the fine but that they couldn't put a hold on it. Twats.

DE - Glad All Over
28-01-2011, 09:26 AM
I Feel for you sw16GIRL....HMRC are a joke, the admin is a joke, and they are inept. I got so fed up with them I now pay an accountant, worth every penny, never pay to much, and usually get money abck which pays for accountant, I am convinced most working people pay more than they should.

the digger
28-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Did mine last week, got a tasty rebate which has showed up in my bank account already.

movingForward
28-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I got so fed up with them I now pay an accountant, worth every penny.
Me too, I used to spend almost a day a month sorting out receipts into excel documents and other adminy things. I decided a few years back to just pay accountants to do everything apart from invoicing which is the only thing I still do. Also I can earn more in that day than the accountants monthly costs, so well worth paying them to do the donkey work imo.

James
28-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I Fell for you sw16GIRL.....Wait in line.

Unless you really meant to say that you 'feel' for her - in which case ... well, wait in the other line.

Maz
28-01-2011, 10:10 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!If you'd either..

a) got an accountant or...

b) done them last year instead of waiting until the last minute...

...you'd be happy, happy, happy. :)

Thought this advice would help. :angel:

Asagaya_Eagle
28-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Should get round to doing mine soon. Hopefully get a nice rebate. I think I have until the end of Feb.

jason smint
28-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Did mine last week, got a tasty rebate which has showed up in my bank account already.

Thats what I like to hear :p :lux:

brighton_eagle
28-01-2011, 11:23 AM
If you'd either..

Indeed.

Eye-dee
28-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Well, that's my accounts done. I have to admit I was hoping I could get my income lower :(

Now to transpose it on line to see how much I am to be stitched up for :grrr:

Eye-dee
28-01-2011, 04:01 PM
All done, and according to my calculations, and the mush at HMRC that I waited for 35 minutes to answer the phone, I am due a rebate because I overpaid last year.

If this is correct, I shall pat myself on the back as this is my first year without paying an accountant. If it's wrong, send me a file in a cake please :D

saxoneagle
28-01-2011, 04:51 PM
My accountant charged 350, and to be fair, all he had to do was add up all the figures I gave him and submit my form, no more than a couple of hours work I reckon.

Simple, self-employed return should take no more than an hour. I used to do a lot for friends in exchange for a bottle of wine per hour :D

Non-friends, a bit more :p

saxoneagle
28-01-2011, 04:54 PM
These "rebates" you're getting just means that all of you f*cked up previously and could've got away with paying less last Jan 31 and July 31 in your PoA. :p

saxoneagle
28-01-2011, 04:57 PM
If you'd either..

Certainly agree with (b) - why wait until Jan 31 when you are reporting on the tax year that ended over 9 months ago? Unless you have any complications (Inheritance, estate, property issues are the main ones) there is no reason not to have this done sooner.

Don't always agree with (a) as I think someone with a simple sole-trader business or even a directorship should be capable of doing this themselves. The forms are pretty straight-forward compared to how they used to be.

Eye-dee
28-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Simple, self-employed return should take no more than an hour. I used to do a lot for friends in exchange for a bottle of wine per hour :D

Non-friends, a bit more :p

Now that I have done my own I can see how simple it is. I can't believe my previous accountant was charging 700 p.a. and that was about five years ago. No wonder he has a Porsche parked outside. Grrr.

Eye-dee
28-01-2011, 04:59 PM
These "rebates" you're getting just means that all of you f*cked up previously and could've got away with paying less last Jan 31 and July 31 in your PoA. :p

To be fair you have to kind of predict what your tax will be next year and pay in advance. Very nice for HMRC.

saxoneagle
28-01-2011, 05:04 PM
To be fair you have to kind of predict what your tax will be next year and pay in advance. Very nice for HMRC.

I am aware of this.

However, you have done your tax return, er, today. That means that your next tax period is already almost 10 months complete (or more if you use a non-tax year basis). You can EASILY do your accounts up to date (if you are doing them late) and make an estimate of your next complete year. If you think it has been a bad year, fill in the box that you want to apply for reduced PoA.

The earlier you do your tax return, the less relevant this is but for those last minute filers you might as well spend the extra time to go the next step. :)

saxoneagle
28-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Now that I have done my own I can see how simple it is. I can't believe my previous accountant was charging 700 p.a. and that was about five years ago. No wonder he has a Porsche parked outside. Grrr.

That rate is taking the piss if your return is that simple... sure you haven't forgotten anything? ;) :vader:

Barbara4003
28-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Certainly agree with (b) - why wait until Jan 31 when you are reporting on the tax year that ended over 9 months ago? Unless you have any complications (Inheritance, estate, property issues are the main ones) there is no reason not to have this done sooner.

Don't always agree with (a) as I think someone with a simple sole-trader business or even a directorship should be capable of doing this themselves. The forms are pretty straight-forward compared to how they used to be.

I agree. I do the tax returns for Mr B and his two brothers and do them in advance so the deadline is never really a problem. I work to a deadline of 31 December so I always have a month in hand in case I hit any problems.

alpha
28-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I have just done my 110th Self-Assessment return this year, got 3 more to do Sunday/Monday and two clients who will probably bring everything in on Monday and expect us to sort it out. And I haven't got a Porsche :)

saxoneagle
28-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I have just done my 110th Self-Assessment return this year, got 3 more to do Sunday/Monday and two clients who will probably bring everything in on Monday and expect us to sort it out. And I haven't got a Porsche :)

Persuade Eye-dee to be your client :D

Gark Moldberg
28-01-2011, 06:37 PM
It should have taken me 10 minutes to do the return as I was only reclaiming the additional gift aid due on the higher rate. Sadly, probably due to alcohol, I started messing around with various scenarios and wasted a couple of hours.

sw16girl
28-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I know I should have done them sooner and the main time is taken up sorting all the information out which I would have to do for an accountant anyway.

Still nearly finished and I feel virtuous as normally they go in on the 31st.

Neil the Eagle
29-01-2011, 12:20 AM
I can't believe my previous accountant was charging 700 p.a. and that was about five years ago.

No easy way to tell you this: you were being completely striped...

Eye-dee
29-01-2011, 09:50 AM
That rate is taking the piss if your return is that simple... sure you haven't forgotten anything? ;) :vader:

Nope :(

Eye-dee
29-01-2011, 09:50 AM
No easy way to tell you this: you were being completely striped...

Why do I suspect you were smirking when you typed that?

Eye-dee
04-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Well, I did my own returns for the first time this year and I have just got an 800 rebate paid into my account :eek:

I am either a brilliant or a stupid accountant :D /:(

Dave
04-12-2013, 11:09 AM
For the first time ever I have been ask to do a Self assessment. I need to do one for 2012-13.

I am totally lost with the system.

They are asking about how much income I made from shares vesting and how much tax I paid :(

I know I paid tax but I have no clue how much :(

I also have a share scheme that I get taxed on the gain but again last year :(

Anyone do Self Assessments for idiots like me based near Beckenham?

Adlerhorst
04-12-2013, 11:41 AM
For the first time ever I have been ask to do a Self assessment. I need to do one for 2012-13.

I am totally lost with the system.

They are asking about how much income I made from shares vesting and how much tax I paid :(

I know I paid tax but I have no clue how much :(

I also have a share scheme that I get taxed on the gain but again last year :(

Anyone do Self Assessments for idiots like me based near Beckenham?

Google chartered institute of taxation. There should be a find a tax adviser section on there. You can search by location I think.

My friend set up her own business doing this sort of thing of you need someone decent. She's based in Scotland but you can do this sort of thing on the phone / email. I had someone do mine and I met him once and frankly that wasn't necessary.

Brumie Allan
04-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Might not help if you haven't got the info you want but I use a program call tax calc you'll find it on line cost about 25. Been using it since 1997 it's got lots of help files and it sends it off on line when you've finished.

Webb
04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Google chartered institute of taxation. There should be a find a tax adviser section on there. You can search by location I think.

My friend set up her own business doing this sort of thing of you need someone decent. She's based in Scotland but you can do this sort of thing on the phone / email. I had someone do mine and I met him once and frankly that wasn't necessary.

Yeah, I might work for them (in the membership dept, so no technical questions, please!)

The Find a CTA tool is quite useful. Drop me a PM if you need any help/verification.

Adlerhorst
04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Tbf Dave will lively have some US share options which adds to the complexity, probably some double tax issues. Not sure taxcalc would deal with that (though never used it)

Adlerhorst
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I might work for them (in the membership dept, so no technical questions, please!)

The Find a CTA tool is quite useful. Drop me a PM if you need any help/verification.

Ah, you might be able to update my contact details on there as pretty sure they are out of date. Lord only knows what my login details are for the website.

Adler CTA, innit.

Dave
04-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Yeah - I get stock every year then half gets sold to pay tax and I get paid the rest

Nightmare

Adlerhorst
04-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Yeah - I get stock every year then half gets sold to pay tax and I get paid the rest

Nightmare

It's a bitch. Have the same issue now I don't work in practice. but thankfully not US stock. W-something forms IIRC.

Dave
04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
wben bollox

Lombardo 888
04-12-2013, 01:14 PM
I hate the whole process - and this year has been the very worst for me.

My Accountant has told me that I have a massive tax liability that I wasn't expecting.

January is such a miserable month anyway - and the S.A. deadline makes it 10x worse.

I know, it sooooooo much a chore. Don't you get your butler to do it? I was thinking of that but I need him with me in Closters - I go there every January because its so miserable. Don't you?

Psychokiller is strangely absent from this thread. I thought there is enough material on here to keep him going for a month.

Dave
06-01-2014, 04:35 PM
My detractors will be pleased to know that got murdered, shot in the face after my self assessment

Away
06-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Might not help if you haven't got the info you want but I use a program call tax calc you'll find it on line cost about 25. Been using it since 1997 it's got lots of help files and it sends it off on line when you've finished.

This looks interesting. I've had a look but it's not quite clear what the added value is. You've obviously found it useful. Is it more than help files and the ability to save some workings?

I admit I've used an accountant since I went self-employed but my situation is so simple and I do all the basic book-keeping that it seems like I'm chucking away 400 every year, so thinking seriously about doing it myself for 13-14.

Brumie Allan
06-01-2014, 06:25 PM
This looks interesting. I've had a look but it's not quite clear what the added value is. You've obviously found it useful. Is it more than help files and the ability to save some workings?

I admit I've used an accountant since I went self-employed but my situation is so simple and I do all the basic book-keeping that it seems like I'm chucking away 400 every year, so thinking seriously about doing it myself for 13-14.I find it so easy each year. I must admit the first year you'll have to go though all of it to see what is relevant to you but then subsequent years it has every thing filled in for you and will give you year on year comparisons. Do you think your Accountant is saving you 400 plus per year and paying for himself if not try TaxCalc @ 25 ish

Shamone
06-01-2014, 06:44 PM

I admit I've used an accountant since I went self-employed but my situation is so simple and I do all the basic book-keeping that it seems like I'm chucking away 400 every year, so thinking seriously about doing it myself for 13-14.

If you do most of the bookkeeping yourself and like you say it is a simple one then 400 seems steep. I've recently set up my own company doing returns if you need help or want me to do them. I guarantee to be cheaper!

Adlerhorst
27-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Deadline this friday people, in case you had forgotten about it (and all your paper work is in various boxes having recently moved house - man that was annoying).

Rebatetastic this year though (which is something of a first).

saxoneagle
27-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Can't help this year as too busy, but if anyone needs any assistance with their returns post-April for 2013/14, please let me know.

Also do cross border stuff, Dave, if you need any help.

Billyd
27-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Can't help this year as too busy, but if anyone needs any assistance with their returns post-April for 2013/14, please let me know.

Also do cross border stuff, Dave, if you need any help.

Are you an accountant?

Adlerhorst
27-01-2014, 11:48 PM
He is.

adrenalin john
27-01-2014, 11:56 PM
W8 ben is your friend Dave. US witholding tax on dividends is 30 percent but the UK treaty only recognises 15. With a W8ben you lose 15 percent only at source which is then deuctible agin UK dividend tax. Moreover you can claim 10 percent foreign dividen tax credit somehow. Meaning US dividends can be petty proitable. Good luck

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
28-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Did mine at the weekend online for the first year... I was pleased at how well the IT seemed to work and how good the context sensitive help was, then I was pissed off when I realised I was going to have to pay back a load of child benefit thanks to Tory c:nts lining their mates pockets, then I was quite pleased again when they calculated that I was owed 3K at the end. Hurrah! Pop the Bolly boys! (actually that's 3K off an 8K credit card but don't spoil my fun for a moment).

Psychokiller
28-01-2014, 08:06 AM
I know, it sooooooo much a chore. Don't you get your butler to do it? I was thinking of that but I need him with me in Closters - I go there every January because its so miserable. Don't you?

Psychokiller is strangely absent from this thread. I thought there is enough material on here to keep him going for a month.

I'm on PAYE

selhurstparkflyer
28-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Just think, with Land taxes, nobody would have to do this every year.

dannyboy1807
28-01-2014, 08:13 AM
I have to pay back 60p FML

alpha
28-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Still got 8 to do out of 160 and info not in yet on 4 of them.

Psychokiller
28-01-2014, 08:14 AM

That's because there'd be no money because Maz and all of the rest of the rich people would leave the country and we'd all be living in parks and eating grass.

selhurstparkflyer
28-01-2014, 08:17 AM
That's because there'd be no money because Maz and all of the rest of the rich people would leave the country and we'd all be living in parks and eating grass.

Maz is only rich in soul.

Adlerhorst
28-01-2014, 08:22 AM

Instead you would have a ton of people challenging the valuations. Which would be massively expensive and time consuming.

And in any case the vast majority of people don't have to do this every year.

selhurstparkflyer
28-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Instead you would have a ton of people challenging the valuations. Which would be massively expensive and time consuming.

And in any case the vast majority of people don't have to do this every year.

No it wouldn't; what are you going to challenge, your acreage or local rental values? Good luck. It will certainly cost less than this, which when coupled with avoidnace is massive

http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/home/2012/05/cost-collecting-tax-barely-fallen-50-years.html

And there'd be fewer accountants, which would be a good thing.

Brumie Allan
28-01-2014, 08:27 AM
James was rich till his massive tax liability!

Adlerhorst
28-01-2014, 08:53 AM
No it wouldn't; what are you going to challenge, your acreage or local rental values? Good luck. It will certainly cost less than this, which when coupled with avoidnace is massive

http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/home/2012/05/cost-collecting-tax-barely-fallen-50-years.html

And there'd be fewer accountants, which would be a good thing.

So let me get this straight, your position is that it would cost HMRC less to run a system you are proposing than it would to run the current system? Is that what you are saying?

selhurstparkflyer
28-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Yes, of course. Not just for government either. And not including avoidance, which is about 12% of GDP.

And I know Council Tax today is more expensive but then it is colected by over 100 councils (so no economies of scale) and has to factor in Council Tax relief, which is ineviatble with such a regressive tax.

eaglejez
28-01-2014, 09:20 AM
blimey - SPF's LVT is like a virus spreading across the BBS. Expecting to see him going on about it on the various Pulis moaning threads :D