PDA

View Full Version : Is Selhurst Park REALLY that difficult to get to?!

marky1919
28-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Just heard a pre-match interview with Lambert on the BBC, where it was AGAIN stated that Selhurst Park is an awful ground to get to?

... which keeps p*ssing me off! Is it SO bad? .... I can think of plenty of grounds in the country that are f*cking awful to get to, to be honest.

I know SP is the second highest ground in the country, with sh*tloads of hills, but these are obviously coming from people with team COACHES that undoubtedly find the street corners difficult to turn bla bla bla.

I think they're all just moaning about it. Do they have a cause for their whinging or are we just so privileged with all the short cuts, that we've forgotten how bad it really is?

Personally, I think they should stop whining and get on with it! ...

The Gerry Queen
28-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Just heard a pre-match interview with Lambert on the BBC, where it was AGAIN stated that Selhurst Park is an awful ground to get to?

... which keeps p*ssing me off! Is it SO bad? .... I can think of plenty of grounds in the country that are f*cking awful to get to, to be honest.

I know SP is the second highest ground in the country, with sh*tloads of hills, but these are obviously coming from people with team COACHES that undoubtedly find the street corners difficult to turn bla bla bla.

I think they're all just moaning about it. Do they have a cause or are we just so privileged with all the short cuts, that we've forgotten how bad it really is?

Only a complete moron would find Selhurst Park difficult to get to. Direct trains from at least two main line stations and five to ten minutes walk from one of three stations. If they are driving then they should allow travelling time like anybody else or buy an A to Z.

I can think of many grounds in the Championship which are harder to get to.

Hopefully Mr Lambert will have an even longer journey back after we have unloaded him of three points :lux:

Danny boy
28-01-2011, 02:44 PM
No.

TheMexicanHorse
28-01-2011, 02:46 PM
3 mainline train stations, all with service every 15 mins to Croydon & London terminals.

So no, not really.

marky1919
28-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Exactly. It's served VERY well by trains. There are also plenty of grounds which are miles away from the stations. i.e. Reading's Madjeski Stadium is AWFUL to get to. ..... anyhow, if they have so much trouble getting here, then hopefully we'll send them home with 0 points in an even longer journey back!

Jasper
28-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I come down from North London for every home game and it takes me 45 minutes. 1 tube & 1 train.

Piece of piss.

jimos_uk
28-01-2011, 02:57 PM
If going by publics, it's a doddle.

If you're driving though, traffic can be a pain. It's not like the team coach arrives before the bulk of cars or anything though, is it?

(Frankly though, I like the idea of Selhurst being a horrible place to get to. I'd love it to be a horrible place for opposing teams, who dread the journey and the reception.)

MasterYoda
28-01-2011, 02:59 PM
By train easy, by road a nightmare.

limited_edition
28-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I think football journos & the punditocracy (or should I say the mediocracy) create this myth about Selhurst. Yet you don't hear them moaning about the even harder to get to White Hart Lane because I guess they get canapes and champagne on arrival and brownosed to within an inch of their lives. Besides, I imagine they come by road. Just like the players, managers, officials etc. So they don't use the well served trains/overground in the area.

marky1919
28-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I think football journos & the punditocracy (or should I say the mediocracy) create this myth about Selhurst. Yet you don't hear them moaning about the even harder to get to White Hart Lane because I guess they get canapes and champagne on arrival and brownosed to within an inch of their lives. Besides, I imagine they come by road. Just like the players, managers, officials etc. So they don't use the well served trains/overground in the area.

Was just going to say WHL .... ridiculously difficult to get to ... it's like the walk that time forgot!

fooz182
28-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Try grounds like Derby or coventry, where you have to get a taxi from the station too. Now its difficult to get to there.

E_girl
28-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Three train stations within a 10min walk, buses, plenty of street parking, road directions from surrounding areas, plenty of pubs. I always fail to see the problem - is ideal for all of the above reasons. As others have said - none of this miles from the station, park and ride, no pubs rubbish that we get at so many away grounds now.

Lambeth Palace
28-01-2011, 03:39 PM
How is Selhurst Park any more difficult to get to by road than say Fulham or Millwall?

Thanet Eagle
28-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Urban myth.

Maiden Eagle
28-01-2011, 04:03 PM

True - But at least it is easy to get to by train.
Most new stadiums are plonked by a Motorway / A Road, with no nearby train stations. So Car or Bus to the station - Bad for the environment.

CPFC_Fan
28-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Selhurst is fantastic to get to by train but by car its a 'mare!

thehalifaxman
28-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Definately just a northern thing. Tup there you get on a train to Derby or Nottingham or Newcastle or Crewe from somewhere they know and don't always have to change or learn to read a tube map!

Maiden Eagle
28-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Just heard a pre-match interview with Lambert on the BBC, where it was AGAIN stated that Selhurst Park is an awful ground to get to?... which keeps p*ssing me off! Is it SO bad? .... I can think of plenty of grounds in the country that are f*cking awful to get to, to be honest.

I think they're all just moaning about it. Do they have a cause for their whinging or are we just so privileged with all the short cuts, that we've forgotten how bad it really is?

Interesting that - Because I'm pretty sure that Paul Lambert has never played or managed at Selhurst Park !?
I've checked his stats and saw that he played for 4 Scottish Clubs and Borussia Dortmund and I don't think any of those sides have played against us !
And before Norwich, he Managed Wycombe and Colchester (after they were relegated from the C'Ship)
This will be his first game at SP.
He's obviously been listening to the press !

E_girl
28-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I find it easy enough by car - 20 mins in traffic, 12 mins without. Just the normal post-match traffic that's a mare (& the roadworks/temporary lights at mo) - but to be expected, is the same at most grounds. So go to the pub til 6 and let it die down.

eaglesboy2
28-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I find it easy enough by car - 20 mins in traffic, 12 mins without. Just the normal post-match traffic that's a mare (& the roadworks/temporary lights at mo) - but to be expected, is the same at most grounds. So go to the pub til 6 and let it die down.

Yep its always been the post match traffic thats a pain, but as you say, to be expected. Now I/we drive to coulsdon south and train it from there and it works a treat and is very easy.

Kirby
28-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Interesting that - Because I'm pretty sure that Paul Lambert has never played or managed at Selhurst Park !?
I've checked his stats and saw that he played for 4 Scottish Clubs and Borussia Dortmund and I don't think any of those sides have played against us !
And before Norwich, he Managed Wycombe and Colchester (after they were relegated from the C'Ship)

Just because he hasn't played or managed at SP doesn't mean he hasn't been.

I've never played or managed there but I've been about 500 times!

Probably been on a scouting mission or something....

marky1919
28-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Sorry, my bad. What I meant from my initial post was that it was the reporter who mentioned it to Lambert. Makes you wonder if the reporter has EVER been to Selhurst himself! :rolleyes:

judge
28-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Just because he hasn't played or managed at SP doesn't mean he hasn't been.

I've never played or managed there but I've been about 500 times!

Probably been on a scouting mission or something....

Or possibly he just picked up the League Manager Associations manual on "things I might say at pre-match press conference at clubs I've got nothing useful or remotely interesting to say on" because it's been said many times before by dullards and no doubt will be said many more times too even if/when we move.

AddiscombeCPFC
28-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Travelling from inside London is easy enough but coming from the north, we're the longest ground to get to.

Northerners think that Palace are in London. So when the hit Kings Cross or whatever they think they have arrived. But then they find you've got to f**k about with the tube and the get an overground from London Bridge or Victoria. Not like when they play the likes of arsenal and the ground is 5-10 minutes away on the tube.

Likewise, driving - you have to go through practically the whole of london to get to selhurst, or m25 and you've got to go around to J4 or go on further and go up the A23. Either way, Selhurst is over an hour away once you hit the M25...and northerners, being northerners, think M25 is London and as Palsce are London, they're almost there..when they're not.

salad fan club
28-01-2011, 07:26 PM
spurs is much harder by train and for parking

Pistol Knight
28-01-2011, 07:33 PM
If I remeber correctly Colin said that he likes the idea of team coaches struggling to get to Selhurst, as it takes longer that they though and is unsettling for the team arriving late

gregors
28-01-2011, 07:36 PM
I've lived in Norwich now for 12 years. Take it from me, Norfolk folk really struggle getting round the big smoke. Moan, moan moan. Let's make it a miserable trip home for them tomorrow........

Diehard
28-01-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't find it difficult but then I have been coming here for nearly 40 years.
It think it is brilliant to get to from Kent as I can sneak in as far as Shirley via Biggin Hill and Addington. It its easy to get away again from Shirley too. Can be sticky from there but isn't every ground. Doesn't surprise me that fans get lost coming in from the north though. It doesn't help that its not in Crystal Palace (Northerners are very literal!!) If you can't get there with a modern day sat nav you must be thick and from Leeds.

the kooch
28-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I only know about the train that goes to Selhurst and that huge ******* sign that says "The Home of Crystal Palace Football Club" so no.

PalaceOfVariety
28-01-2011, 07:41 PM
To play the devil’s advocate – many northern supports will have to arrive at say Euston or Kings Cross and then get a tube followed by another train. Perhaps this is their reason. Having said that, it will be the same for all clubs south side.

gregors
28-01-2011, 08:45 PM
always going to be tricky if you have thumbs for fingers.....

Ruskin Old Boy
28-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Coming from the North or West, what's the most difficult London ground to reach - Spurs.

Sam Spade
28-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Coming from the North or West, what's the most difficult London ground to reach - Spurs.

Actually John, coming from the west, the most difficult ground to get to is Narch!:)

LLCOOLSTEVE
28-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Of course it is, anyone who suggests otherwise is living in a South London bubble and doesnt venture outside of the M25 much! Its easy enough to say its easy to get to when you do it every other week or live in the area but if you dont its a nightmare....

Streathamite
28-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Kings cross is on the Vicky line. It's a piece of piss to get to Victoria and then Junction or Fort Neef. Even easier is Euston to London Bridge on the Northern line, and a fast train to Junction takes 11 minutes. If they can handle the journey all the way from Yorkshire to London, why can they suddenly not manage any further? Presumably Fratton Park is in France. I know it's different by car, but sometimes it just seems like people are talking shyte.

It's like when people move to London from the arse end of some shire where they were lucky to get a bus pass through twice a day. All of a sudden they live in Islington and simply can't abide waiting longer than five minutes for a tube train, and never walk anywhere. They have to walk for an hour to buy a bloody paper at home!

Ruskin Old Boy
28-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Actually John, coming from the west, the most difficult ground to get to is Narch!:)

Are you one stop short of Barking again? :lux:

Sam Spade
28-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Are you one stop short of Barking again? :lux:

East of Eden!:clown:

cross_eyed_ed
28-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I live in the heart of Essex. It takes me just over an hour to get there and back (on public transport). Therefore this comment is bollocks.

Bounty_Killa
28-01-2011, 09:45 PM
For us - No :p

For the enemy visiting it's a horrible place to get to, "hell of a place" and we should milk that to our advantage by unsettling them, as did Colin :D

Ruskin Old Boy
28-01-2011, 09:48 PM
East of Eden!:clown:

Under the Ron Greenwood green :D :o

Pistol Knight
28-01-2011, 09:53 PM
To play the devil’s advocate – many northern supports will have to arrive at say Euston or Kings Cross and then get a tube followed by another train. Perhaps this is their reason. Having said that, it will be the same for all clubs south side.
and it's the same for us going op north!!

delboy01
28-01-2011, 09:57 PM

It must be a bit of a bugger getting those combine harvesters around south londons narrow streets!!! :clown:

gilesy14
28-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Selhurst Park is stupidly easy to get to - you must be an absolute social recluse & mummy's boy if you find it hard to get to. I love Selhurst because of it's location & I travel up from West Sussex...parking can be a nightmare but by train it's as straight forward as you can get!

Penshaw Eagle
28-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Nothing wrong with Selhurst been to many grounds harder to get to (at least we are not out of town in the middle of a redevelopment area).
If you travel by public transport one of the better grounds to get to visiting fans just dont know how to map read

ScottHooky
28-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I remember a poll in the 90's which had us the hardest ground to find. This same poll also had Arsenal somewhere in the top 10 despite there being a tube station called "Arsenal" right next to Highbury. :o

milky87
28-01-2011, 10:16 PM
is it as difficult as Norwich? Getting stuck behing tractors for half an hour doing 15 mph.

Selhurst is an easy ground to reach. I cant thing of another footbal ground with 3 train stations within a a 10 minute walk to the gorund that are served by major train stations

Streathamite
28-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Just read a Naarch forum and they are mugs. They are talking about this game as if they are Manure and we are Dagenham. Wankers! Naarch really are a bunch of mugs to give it the big one. I hope they get stuck in a god awful traffic jam/catch the wrong tube train, get to our 'shithole' ground and hate every aspect of it, get owned by the noisy sections of our support, and lose, facing bloody hours on the motorway. Arrogant muggy tossers.

Seanee Pawnee
28-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I'll tell you two grounds that are difficult to get to....

Tor flaming quay and
Car friking lisle!

mart63
28-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Easy journey for me,get the 13.36 train from Worthing in the ground for kick off.

Seanee Pawnee
28-01-2011, 10:21 PM
is it as difficult as Norwich? Getting stuck behing tractors for half an hour doing 15 mph.

Selhurst is an easy ground to reach. I cant thing of another footbal ground with 3 train stations within a a 10 minute walk to the gorund that are served by major train stations

You can get to Selhurst now via the old north London line via dalston junction and the jubilee line
No.3 bus from kings cross or you could fly to Gatwick airport and train it in.
Simple!

milky87
28-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Just read a Naarch forum and they are mugs. They are talking about this game as if they are Manure and we are Dagenham. Wankers! Naarch really are a bunch of mugs to give it the big one. I hope they get stuck in a god awful traffic jam/catch the wrong tube train, get to our 'shithole' ground and hate every aspect of it, get owned by the noisy sections of our support, and lose, facing bloody hours on the motorway. Arrogant muggy tossers.
They are absolute tossers.

Do they not remember that we beat them at their place this season? Do they also not remember that not only did we beat them but we tore them a new arsehole in the process? They were f*cking running scared of us that day and we will smash them all over the place tomorrow.

I will never forget their fans holding up signs saying 6.0, 5.9, 5.8 etc for AJ and when he scored he run down their side of the pitch and Boyce stuck his leg out and AJ dive over it

Penshaw Eagle
28-01-2011, 10:37 PM

A bunch of country Bumpkins the lot of them

JDawg
28-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Like Norwich is really easy to get to.

How about:

Train from Norwich to Liverpool Street
Tube/taxi/walk to London Bridge
Train to Norwood Junction
Follow people wearing red and blue

Takes about two hours.

How difficult is that?

Riley
29-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Have we really got the second highest ground in the country?!

herts_palace
29-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Possibly true if you come from the south. I have been travelling by car from Hertfordshire for 20 years [that's a long journey] and it's surprising how much time you can shave off the journey when you put your mind to it and look for alternative routes. Still searching for the perfect route though.

Palace Don
29-01-2011, 09:15 AM
I come down from North London for every home game and it takes me 45 minutes. 1 tube & 1 train.

Piece of piss.

Exactly.

I drive from Windsor every home game and takes max an hour around M25, and up the M/A23 and through Coulsdon, Banstead and Thornton heath etc.

herts_palace
29-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I suspect part of it is lazy journalism in that they don't actually mean difficult to get to they actually mean takes ages to get to compared to the Premiership grounds north of the river. The fact that they themselves live North of the river has escaped them. They are not familiar with South London and think it is a hole that North London put their rubbish in. They drive to the game without looking at a map and blindly follow the same Sat Nav instructions that all the other clueless fans are following and get p***ed off when they have to negotiate 20 sets of traffic lights just to get to Streatham.

Steve in Phoenix
29-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Have we really got the second highest ground in the country?!

Doesnt look like it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_English_football_stadiums_by_altitude

Riley
29-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Doesnt look like it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_English_football_stadiums_by_altitude

Cheers, thought it was a bit of a stretch!

Panther
29-01-2011, 09:49 AM
that all the other clueless fans are following and get p***ed off when they have to negotiate 20 sets of traffic lights just to get to Streatham.
Or when they spot floodlights and end up at the National Sports Centre like many an away fan I've had to re-direct over the years.

EastBerksEagle
29-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Windsor & Eton Riverside station to Clapham 45mins,5 min wait at Clapham,15mins to either Norwood or Thornton Heath.Peace of piss.
Worse bit is Chelsea "fans" on the train all the way to Putney and egg chasers all the way to Twickenham if England are at home.

Sam Spade
29-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Under the Ron Greenwood green :D :o

More like Allison Wonderland actually. :cool:

Benzhiyi
29-01-2011, 10:33 AM
I find it nigh-on impossible to get to by car.

(Chiefly because I can't drive.)

Arron
29-01-2011, 10:47 AM
I always come down on the train and like many have already pointed out it's a doddle. Coming by car is more hassle but that's down to the amount of traffic rather than the ground being hard to find.

howard
29-01-2011, 11:06 AM
I assume Lambert does not have to get away from Carrow Road straight after a game, that ring road is a nightmare.

webbo1990
29-01-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm trying to think of a time when Lambert would have even been to SP!!

We're all experts at getting there by train or whatever from the local area, but the reason everyone else finds it tricky is because the vast majority of clubs make their way to SP from the north, so from their point of view we're right at the bottom of a huge city, so they have to go through or around this huge city first. The same goes for away supporters.

leicester1
29-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I hav'nt read all of the thread yet but really don't understand why anyone can say Selhurst is hard to get to,if you do the homework beforehand and set off early enough you should barring unforseen accidents be able to get to any town for a 2 hour pre-match couple of pints.

Selhurst by train is easy from central London,by road from the North surely its easy enough either off the M25 or finding your way from the North Circular,Elephant and Castle roundabut or any other routes......i suspect most moaners either leave out with not enough time for the journey or travel on supporters club coaches.

dbutler
29-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Buy a fecking sat nav you stupid inbred wanker.

Funk Butter
29-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Well, first off I have to get in my car and make my way to the highway. I have to take the highway for about 30 miles, then exit and go to the airport. I have to get on a plane and fly to London and that's a few hours. Then I have to get out of Heathrow and rent a car. Hopefully one with a gps as I don't really know how to get there. So yeah, it is difficult to get to. I don't want to think about how I would get there via public transport.

Stavros 69
29-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Like Norwich is really easy to get to.

How about:

Train from Norwich to Liverpool Street
Tube/taxi/walk to London Bridge
Train to Norwood Junction
Follow people wearing red and blue

Takes about two hours.

How difficult is that?
Why not just get the train to liv st
Walk to Shoreditch high st 2mins