View Full Version : Ireland: Airtricity League Matches

si1965
25-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Bohemians v Galway 1.53 / 4 / 8
Derry v Shamrock 3.25 / 3.25 / 2.41
Sligo Rovers v Drogheda 1.4 / 4.6 / 10
St Patricks v Dundalk 2.15 / 3.3 / 3.8
UC Dublin FC v Bray Wanderers 2.27 / 3.25 / 3.5

Sorry for the late posting but drowning at work this week…

Bohemians v Galway: Bohs are odds on to win this but have late fitness tests for their two front men, Flood (calf) and Fagan (hamstring) having picked up knocks midweek in a friendly against Hibs. With long-term injured Goalkeeper Chris O'Connor and midfielder Glenn Cronin ruled out along with the suspended defender Ger O'Brien, this represents a significant loss of experience for the Bohs team. Galway have their own problems with defenders Steve Feeney out injured for up to 6 weeks and Sean Kelly suspended. They do sit at the bottom of the table with a single point courtesy of their draw at home to UCD last week and will struggle against a well organised Bohs team.
Bohs should prevail, but only by a single goal.

Absentees may also be significant in the UCD v Bray match with both teams missing their top scorers – Bray’s Conor Murphy U19 duty along with fellow striker Gary Shaw who is injured. For the Students Cillian Morrison, who has scored UCD’s only goal, is out injured along with midfielder Robbie Benson. With an average age of just 20, the UCD squad have played some attractive football (despite having the worst pitch in the League), but have lacked a finish. Bray have proved to be difficult opponents – coming back to win 3-2 at St pats and earning a point away in Sligo – and I expect them to edge this encounter in another low scoring match.
Bray +0.25 @ 1.926 (Pinnacle)

Sligo appear to have the easiest match of the week as they face a Drogheda side with only a single point for their exertions so far this season. They have, however been more competitive than was expected and have only been beaten by a single goal before their spirited comeback from 2-0 to draw last week at home to Derry. Sligo, by contrast, have yet to achieve the level of form they achieved last season and with exciting winger Daryl Horgan away with the U19s they may be worth opposing here. Drogheda +0.75 @ 1.917 (Pinnacle)

St Pats v Dundalk is a tough one to call. Both have had disappointing starts to the season with just a single League win each and both have been juggling League and Setanta Cup fixtures – Dundalk with more success as they have progressed to the semi-finals. Pats have been dogged by injuries since day one and this does not look like changing tonight – Captain Conor Kenna, Daryl Kavanagh and Ian Daly out injured and defender Shortall and top scorer North rated as doubtful. They do give midfielder Paul Crowley his Pat’s debut after serving a 3 match suspension. Dundalk have had a pretty hectic schedule and they have defenders Eoghan Osborne (hamstring) and Shane Guthrie (on loan from Pats) unavailable whilst midfielder Dean Bennett is suspended. The bookies give Pats the edge, but I think the Lilywhites have a good chance of at least a point here Dundalk +0.5 @ 1.82 (32Red)

Derry v Shamrock Rovers is an interesting match-up – Derry, traditionally strong at home, face Rovers with a 100% record in the League. Rovers also have the best scoring record (6 goals in 3 matches) and meanest defence (1 goal conceded).
Derry experienced defender Eddie McCallion is back from suspension, while midfielder Ruaidhri Higgins and defender Stewart Greacen remain out injured. For Rovers defender Craig Sives (hamstring) and striker Dean Kelly (calf) are unavailable. Derry have quality players, but these are supplemented by some inexperienced younger players so the Rovers side, containing the cream of the League in terms of talent and experience, will provide a very stern test for the Candystripes.
The 2.52 (Betfair) for the away win is very attractive, but I also see goals in this match so I am going for Over 2.5 goals @ 2.38 (WillHills)

si1965
26-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Bohemian FC 0 : 1 Galway United FC :eek: Well avoided
UCD 0 : 1 Bray Wanderers :p
Sligo Rovers FC 2 : 0 Drogheda United :sob: Could have been a bigger margin
St Patrick 3 : 2 Dundalk FC :rolleyes: 89th minute winner
Derry City FC 0 : 0 Shamrock Rovers :clown:

si1965
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Apologies for the late posting... wrote most of this last night but been manic at work.

Drogheda v Shamrock 7.8 / 4.33 / 1.53
Galway v Sligo Rovers 5.2 / 3.6 / 1.73
St Patricks v Bohemians 2.1 / 3.25 / 4
Bray Wanderers v Derry 3.7 / 3.3 / 2.15
Dundalk v UC Dublin FC 1.7 / 3.6 / 5.7

Top of the table Shamrock Rovers travel to bottom club Drogheda in what should be the most straightforward match of the day. Despite notching their first win (EA Sports Cup on Monday over Bray) Drogheda have yet to win in the League. They did manage a 2-2 draw at home to Derry but I see Rovers being too strong for a Drogs team still finding their feet in this Division.
Shamrock Rovers @ 1.53 (Coral)
Gary McCabe Anytime scorer @ 4 (PaddyPower)

Galway host Sligo in the first North West derby – on current form this looks like an easy Sligo win but derby games tend not to go by the book. Galway will be buoyed by their victory over Bohs last week, but defeat against amateur Cockhill Celtic in the EA Cup on Monday is not the best preparation nor is the loss of Midfielder Gary Curran with a broken metatarsal in that match. Sligo has no new injury concerns and while I think the Sligo @1.73 (boylesports) a bit skinny it is still a good bet

The second derby game of the night sees St Pats host Bohs. Both teams have had their fair share of injury problems and this sees both sides having to reshuffle things – St pats central defenders Conor Kenna, (Captain) and Brian Shortall are injured, while first team coach Peter Mahon is absent following the death of his mother. For Bohs the biggest loss is the continued injury to striler Anto Flood along with long term injured goalkeeper O’Connor and midfielder Cronin. A tough one to call, Pats previous derby against Rovers saw them lose 2-0 but their comeback against Dundalk last week, scoring three after trailing by two goals means they are high on confidence. Bohs will have to bounce back following defeat last week at home to Galway as well as to ignore all of the speculation about their manager Pat Fenlon who has voiced his displeasure at the size of his playing budget and is rumoured to be lining up a job in Scotland (European scout for Celtic). This could go either way, but goals will be at a premium so I can see a single goal victory. The St Pats @ 2.1 (StanJames) is tempting but I will go for the same price in a different market - One team to score @ 2.1 (Coral)

Bray surprisingly sit in 4th thanks to a run of three games (W2 D1) following their opening day defeat to Bohs. Derry have also just the opening day defeat this season (to Sligo), but two draws sees them two places below. Bray have a couple of injuries (not first choices), but defender Daire Doyle and midfielder Joe Kendrick face late fitness tests. Derry, however will be without midfielders Patrick McEleney and Barry Molloy along with substitute forward Michael McCrudden. Another tough game to call, the bookies favour a Derry win and this is attractive with odds over evens but I think they are underestimating Bray and this could go either way. No bet for me.

Dundalk also looks like a banker home win against a College team who have struggled to add to the goal they scored on the opening day of the season. They managed three on Monday against 1st Division Longford with Graham Rusk scoring twice – will this kick start their League campaign? Dundalk are above UCD courtesy of goal difference and, as a pre-season favourite, will be disappointed with their season to date. They will have to do without the services of injured central midfielder Bolger and left back Osborne, with midfielders Maher and Bennett facing late fitness tests. The Students have only conceded more than a single goal once (at home to Derry) and appear to play better away than on the ploughed field of the Belfield Stadium they call home. With so many key players out or carrying injuries, I fancy UCD to get something tonight so my pick is: UCD +0.75 @ 1.847 (Pinnacle)

si1965
02-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Another mixed bag of results...

St Patrick 0 : 0 Bohemian FC Pats miss 90th minute penalty :(
Drogheda United 0 : 4 Shamrock Rovers As expected but McCabe not amongst scorers
Dundalk FC 3 : 1 UCD Two goals in 3 mins just before half time killed this tie off
Bray Wanderers 1 : 2 Derry City FC Derry had to work hard for win - Bray squandered chances
Galway United FC 0 : 1 Sligo Rovers FC As predicted :D

chatham_eagle
02-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Youths ain't doing too well in Div 1, wasn't expecting great things (especially losing Sheehan, who was superb last season) and it's all about bringing the youth on, but 4 losses out of 4 don't bode well.

si1965
08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Have to do this in installments - here is part 1:

Comparing the odds for winning the League at the start of the season against the current table shows remarkable similarities. The bottom 4 are the same and, out of the top 6 Derry and Bohemians are slightly above expectations with Dundalk disappointing

Derry City v Dundalk FC 2.10 / 3.25 / 3.75
UC Dublin v Bohemian FC 3.20 / 3.20 / 2.12
Drogheda Utd v Galway Utd 2.66 / 3.30 / 2.63
Shamrock Rovers v Bray Wdrs 1.36 / 4.75 / 11
Sligo Rovers v St. Patricks 2.10 / 3.30 / 4.20

The bookies appear to have the measure of the League now and there does not appear to be much value this week.

Derry City v Dundalk FC. As stated Derry will be happy with their progress so far this season: W2 D1 L1 (2 clean sheets). They have a young but well balanced side who on their day can be the match of any in the League. Dundalk are a bit of an enigma, they are rampant in the Setanta Cup, where they have disposed of Northern Irish opponents Linfield and Glentoran (scoring 8) and are currently 3-1 up after first leg away victory at Cliftonville. In the League though they have suffered two defeats this season – to Rovers on the opening day and St Pats after gaining a 2-0 lead, as well as being held to a goalless draw by Bohs (the only time in 11 competitive matches they have failed to score). This game could go either way and could be a goalfest or a barren goalless draw. No bet for me.

UCD V Bohemians. A Dublin derby. The Students are traditionally hard to break down at home and Bohs will have their work cut out for them as their injury list is lengthening – six first team are out:
Goalkeepers Barry Murphy (groin) and Chris O’Connor (shoulder), defender Ollie Cahill (hamstring), midfielders Glenn Cronin (knee) and Lee Dixon (calf) and forward Christy Fagan (hamstring). Midfielder Killian Brennan also faces a late fitness test. Manager Fenlon has stated he will be giving debuts to some of the young players in his squad.
UCD will once again be without defender Sean Harding (hamstring) and forward Cillian Morrison (ankle).
Another tough match to call. Neither side have been prolific in front of goal with the Students only scoring twice in five while Bohs have only scored once in their last four (after winning 3-1 on the opening day). Bohs have kept 3 clean sheets and not lost by more than a single goal so the 2.4 (PaddyPower) for an away clean sheet is on the low side but just enough (for small stakes only).

si1965
08-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Part 2:

Drogheda United v Galway United Bottom of the table clash at Hunky Dorys Park with Drogs still looking for their first win of the season. They face a Galway team without the services of first choice defender Steve Feeney (ankle) and midfielder Gary Curran (metatarsal) with doubts over midfielders Alan Murphy and Enda Curran who are carrying groin strains.
Both teams are operating on a shoestring budget, but Galway have managed to produce the better form this season with victory over Bohs and a draw against UCD. Only a late effort by Dundalk robbed them of a deserved point away in week 2 and a single Sligo goal defeated them last week. Drogs have also surprised teams this season, notably Derry a couple of weeks ago earning their only point with a 2-2 draw. These are, however the only goals they have scored in 5 matches and is one below the three Galway have managed. Defensively, Drogs will be keen to tighten up their defence that has no clean sheets and averaged two goals against in their 5 League games. Galway, after a 3-0 defeat on the opening day, have stemmed the tide with two clean sheets.
Drogs manager Cooke will have a job picking his team up after last weeks 4-0 defeat to Rovers and has been criticised for playing too cautiously – a tactic he reversed in their home game against Derry. If they play the same way against Galway, they have a chance of getting something from this match, but it is a big “if”. Despite their injuries, I think Galway will keep Drogs at bay and will not lose to the bottom club. Away clean sheet @ 3.25 (Coral) – although this is based more on Drogs lack of goal scoring ability than Galway’s defensive prowess.

Shamrock Rovers v Bray Wanderers. 100% home record faces a (surprisingly) 100% away record. Considered by many as being relegation fodder, despite their lack of money, Bray have held onto their team from last year and added a couple of key players, which has meant they are at lest competitive in this Division. Along with long-term absentee Gary Shaw, Bray miss defender Joe Kendrick (thigh) and midfielder Daire Doyle (hamstring) and defender Chris Shields may not be fully recovered to play a part. Rovers only real worry is late fitness tests for midfielders Chris Tuner (calf) and Stephen O'Donnell (hamstring). Difficult to see past a home win here – apart from a goalless draw away to Derry, Rovers have swept all before them so far this season. There is no value in the home win odds and Bray’s performances do enough to put a doubt in my mind that Rovers will beat the handicap. Similarly, Rovers defence has been outstanding – only 1 goal conceded in 5, but Bray have scored 4 in their two away matches so far. No bet.

The Sligo Rovers v St Patricks match is tomorrow afternoon so I will do a review later, but my initial thoughts are a home win at a nice price (Evens).

si1965
08-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Derry City FC 2 : 0 Dundalk FC
Drogheda United 1 : 1 Galway United FC Early goal from Drogs meant Galway had to respond
UCD 0 : 2 Bohemian FC :p
Shamrock Rovers 0 : 1 Bray Wanderers Had a gut feeling that Bray could end Rovers run - should have gone with it

PeterH
08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Better than working I guess. LOL. :p

si1965
09-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Sligo Rovers v St. Patrick's Athletic
Not quite as straightforward as my first assessment looked as Rovers will be missing four key players: suspensions to defenders Alan Keane, Danny Ventre and Gavin Peers, while midfielder Raffaele Cretaro has a leg injury. Midfielder Eoin Doyle is expected to start in an unfamiliar right back role, with substitute defender Derek Foran filling in for Peers.
The only upside is the return of influential midfielder Joesph Ndo who has recovered from his foot injury and marked his return with a goal against Portadown on Monday.
St Pats will be once again without club captain captain Conor Kenna for the 4th consecutive game as he recovers from a knee injury, while fellow defender Brian Shortall faces a late fitness test.
League encounters have been traditionally tight affairs - the four games last season had just two goals and two goal-less draws. By contrast the 3 cup meetings saw 13 goals.
Rovers have only conceded once this season (in their defeat to Shamrock Rovers), but scoring has been a bit of a struggle - 4 in 5 games with half of these against bottom club Drogheda. Pats have been more prolific with 6 goals but have been porous in defence, letting in 7 so far this season.
The patchwork Sligo defence has done enough to put me off the straight win, but I don't think Pats will have enough to win at the Showgrounds.
Sligo Rovers -0.25 @ 1.735 (Pinnacle)

si1965
09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Also gone for
Sligo Rovers v St Patrick's Athletic
Under 2.5 @ 1.62 (StanJames)

cantspell
09-04-2011, 04:55 PM
ps good call on the dundee match si had some on the 2 nil cheers

si1965
09-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Sligo Rovers 2-0 St Patrick's Athletic
Should have gone with my first instinct - but a win is a win and the unders came in

si1965
15-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Too late to do much more than this I'm afraid...

Bohemian FC v Shamrock Rovers Draw
St Patrick v UCD Home Win
Galway United FC v Derry City FC Away Win
Dundalk FC v Sligo Rovers FC Home Win
Bray Wanderers v Drogheda United Home Win

si1965
15-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I have underestimated Bohs so far this season and I think Rovers are hitting a bit of a rocky patch. draw is a good bet here imho

Pats should have enough against a poor UCD - despite leaking more goals than their visitors, I still think they can shut out the Students

Galway are tough to break down away but I think Derry play with a bit more confidence now and should edge this.

Sligo were beaten 2-0 by Shamrock Rovers on Monday in the Setanta Cup - Dundalk will be equally as unforgiving.

Bray on a high after last weeks victory over Shamrock Rovers. Drogs will try and keep a clean sheet but I think Bray will prevail late in the game.

si1965
15-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Got a working link for the Bohs v Rovers game :p

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/webmaster/Sportslines/59876/1/watch-bohemians-dublin-vs-shamrock-rovers.html

si1965
15-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Too late to do much more than this I'm afraid...

Bohemian FC v Shamrock Rovers Draw 1-1 :p
St Patrick v UCD Home Win 1-1 (90th min equaliser) :(
Galway United FC v Derry City FC Away Win 1-4 :p
Dundalk FC v Sligo Rovers FC Home Win 1-1 :(
Bray Wanderers v Drogheda United Home Win 2-1 :p

Pretty much as expected - surprised by Dundalk and UCD getting a late equaliser

si1965
15-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Just read report of the St Pats game - it was a 94th minute equaliser

Guess it equals out the 93rd goal from 10 men Shamrock Rovers

cantspell
22-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Nowt on today's stuff Si. you're probably away for Easter?

si1965
23-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Sorry, couldn't get to a computer yeaterday. Mother-in-law over so been otherwise occupied :rolleyes:

cantspell
23-04-2011, 12:40 PM
No probs Si

Mother in law No bet!

si1965
29-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Good of the Royal family to give me a free day to do some proper research :p

Galway United v Shamrock Rovers
Galway are second bottom of the table having lost five of their opening eight games, scoring a single goal and gaining a solitary point from their four home games. The point came courtesy of a 0-0 draw with goal-shy UCD, so it does not bode well as they face League leaders Shamrock Rovers who are unbeaten away (2 wins and 2 draws), have scored in all but one match (a goalless draw against Derry) and have kept 3 clean sheets.
Rovers will be without top scorer Gary Twigg, defender Craig Sives and ex-Galway midfielder Stephen O’Donnell while midfielders Ronan Finn and Chris Turner face late fitness tests.
Galway welcome back experienced defender Shaun Maher and midfielder Alan Murphy but will miss the services of midfielder Gary Curran and, most significantly, striker Joseph Yoffe who are both injured .
Coral and Ladbrokes have Rovers @ 1.5 for the away win, but I like also like PaddyPower who have Shamrock Rovers clean sheet @ 1.83 or Shamrock Rovers to win to nil @ 2.2

Dundalk v Bray Wanderers
A record-equalling fourth successive win for Bray will take them top of the Premier Division for the first time ever if Rovers slip up in Galway. They travel to Dundalk who have reached the Setanta Cup final (scoring 13 in six matches), but have not managed to reproduce that form in the League, winning only one of their last three games. Dundalk do have an unbeaten record at home (2 wins and 2 draws) but they face a Bray team with a 100% record on the road this season – 3 wins, 5 goals, 2 conceded.
Dundalk left back Eoghan Osbourne and midfielders Greg Bolger and Stephen Maher remain out injured, while central defender Shane Guthrie (concussion) is doubtful along with midfielder Dean Bennett (hamstring).
Forward Gary Shaw (foot) and defender Stephen Brennan (calf) are out for Bray.
Difficult match to call as it depends which Dundalk team plays – the free-scoring Cup team or the struggling League side. Certainly Bray are competitively priced at 4.5 (WillHills, Coral) for the away win and on current form this looks attractive, however, given Dundalk’s offensive style, I am going for both teams to score @ 1.95 (WillHills)

Bohemians v Derry
Derry lie third, just above Bohs on goal difference and both teams go into the game with a lengthy list of injuries:
Derry will be without midfielders Barry Molloy and Ruairi Harkin, striker Patrick McEleney (dead leg), midfielder James McClean and defender Emmet Friars (hip). Bohemians remain without midfielders Glenn Cronin and Mark Rossiter and striker Christy Fagan. Defender Ollie Cahill returns following a hamstring strain.
Both sides have had variable seasons so far: Bohs have been very tight at the back, conceding only 4 goals in 9 matches. Derry by contrast have been disappointing at home (W1 D2 L1), but prolific away with 10 goals in 4 matches, with only a 2-2 draw at Drogheda spoiling an otherwise perfect record.
Derry players Gareth McGlynn and Ruadhrí Higgins spent last season with Bohemians so a return to Dalymount Park will hold no surprises for them.
I expect a low scoring affair, but I think Derry, who play better away from home will edge this encounter.
Derry @ 3.10 (Will Hills)

UCD v Sligo Rovers
The Students have the lowest strike rate in the Division with just 4 goals in eight games, although they have managed to score 3 in each of their last two League Cup matches. They remain a bit of an enigma, as their equaliser last week away at St Patricks illustrates and the pitch at Belfield Bowl is not conducive to smooth passing football. Defender Sean Harding returns to the squad after recovering from his hamstring injury, however, fellow defender Cillian Morrison (ankle) is out while midfielder Samir Belhout (groin), defenders Mark Langtry (calf) and David O'Connor (hamstring) are doubtful.
Sligo Rovers will be at full strength following the return of strikers Matthew Blinkhorn and Raffaele Cretaro back from injuries and captain Richie Ryan from suspension. Like Derry, Sligo have been more productive on the road (W2 D2) and while they have been by the narrowest of margins, they have been backed up by a tight defence that has conceded a single away goal.
After giving up a goal lead in their defeat to Bohs last week, I expect Sligo to keep it tight at the back. UCD is not an easy place to get a result which puts me pff the short away win odds (1.65) so I am choosing Who Will Keep a Clean Sheet? Sligo Rovers @ 1.90 (PaddyPower).

St Patrick’s v Drogheda United
St Patrick’s will be buoyed by their midweek victory over Shamrock Rovers in the Cup (albeit by penalties) along with the return from injury of midfielders Anthony Murphy and Dave Mulcahy. Athletic captain Conor Kenna (knee) is still absent along with backup defenders Neil Harney and James O'Brien. Lying just above the relegation places, they have just two wins so far and have leaked 11 goals in eight matches, which is one more than they have scored. Pats will be looking to kick start their season against the bottom club Drogheda who have gained a single point from the last 12, only scored once on their travels and have lost all three away games. They lost on Monday night 2-3 to UCD, playing with a virtually full strength side, so the task awaiting them away to Pats is enormous.
St Patricks Athletic -1.5 @ 2.23 (Pinnacle)

si1965
29-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Galway 0 - 1 Shamrock Rovers :p
Bohemians 0 - 2 Derry City :p
Dundalk 0 - 0 Bray Wanderers :(
St. Patricks 3 - 0 Drogheda United :p
UC Dublin 2 - 1 Sligo Rovers :eek:

Should have gone with a Bray clean sheet and the UCD result a bit of a shock - Sligo only scored in 83rd minute, but otherwise a very profitable evening.

chatham_eagle
29-04-2011, 08:47 PM
You beautiful, beautiful man :lux:

si1965
02-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers
A prelude to the Setanta Cup final on May 14th. As I have mentioned, Dundalk have not managed to recreate their Cup form in the League and Friday’s drab 0-0 draw with Bray did nothing to change this opinion. Dundalk have a lengthening injury list: left back Eoghan Osbourne, central defenders Colin Hawkins and Shane Guthrie, midfielders Greg Bolger, Dean Bennett and Stephen Maher. Right midfielder Daniel Kearns and striker Jason Byrne face late fitness tests. Rovers have no new injuries so will be again without top scorer Gary Twigg, defender Craig Sives and midfielder Stephen O’Donnell.
Rovers won the reverse fixture 3-1 at the beginning of the season and while Dundalk have been solid in defence at home (4 goals conceded in 5), I think the Dundalk injuries and Rovers current form will see them through.
Shamrock Rovers @ 1.85 (VCBet)
Shamrock Rovers clean sheet @ 2.2 (PaddyPower)

Bohemians v Bray
Bohs began their League campaign with a victory over Bray, but the subsequent games have seen the Seagulls climb above Bohs. Bray are currently on a four game unbeaten streak following victories at Shamrock Rovers, Galway and Drogheda and Friday’s goalless draw at Dundalk. Bohs own four game streak (W2 D2) was ended by Derry on Friday. The red card received by midfielder Keith Buckley in that match also rules him out of this encounter along with injured midfielders Glenn Cronin and Mark Rossitor and striker Christy Fagan, while defender Aidan Price faces a late fitness test. Bray have no fresh injury concerns but forward Gary Shaw (foot) and defender Stephen Brennan (calf) remain out.
Bohs have struggled to score this season at home (2 in 4 games) but have kept things tight at the back conceding just 6 goals in 9 matches (although 4 of these in 4 home games) Bray have an unbeaten record on the road this season and have three clean sheets in their last 4 games conceding just once.
I keep expecting the wheels to come off the Bray bandwagon but they carry on regardless. Dalymount Park is a tough place to go and get a result but Bray Wanderers @ 4.75 (Stan James) is too big to ignore. Might even have a bit of Bray clean sheet @ 4 (PaddyPower)

UCD v Drogheda
The Students turned the formbook on its head on Friday by winning 2-1 against Sligo. They will be looking to make it two out of two as they host bottom club Drogheda. Drogs have a woeful record to date with just 2 points from their first 9 matches – they have the worst defence in the League conceding an average of 2 goals per game along with the worst away offence scoring just once in 4 matches. The Students do not have a significantly better record, however, having shipped 13 goals themselves this season, while the two goals on Friday were their first at home in four attempts and brought their season tally to 6 in 9 matches.
UCD midfielder Robert Creevy faces a late fitness test while defenders Mark Langtry (calf) and David O'Connor (hamstring) who did not make Friday’s match are again out.
Drogheda will be without defender Victor Ekanem (calf) but welcome back midfielder Stephen McCrossan after injury.
Close match and there is no value in the UCD price. Small punt on the draw @ 3.71 (Pinnacle)

Sligo Rovers v Derry City
A North-west derby match sees in-form Derry meet a Sligo team reeling after their defeat at the hands of UCD. Derry will be keen to redress the balance after losing at home 1-0 to Sligo at the beginning of the season. This has been their only defeat – they have since won 5 and drawn 3 of their last eight matches; only failed to score in their 0-0 draw with leaders Shamrock Rovers; have scored 15 goals, 12 of these away from home; and only conceded 6 in 9 games.
Sligo have had an up and down season – a run of three victories (against Drogheda, Galway and St Pats) has been followed by a draw with Dundalk and two defeats (Bohs and UCD). Manager Paul Cook once again has a full strength squad to choose from, but is struggling to find the right balance.
Derry will be again without midfielders Barry Molloy and Ruairi Harkin while defender Stewart Greacen is suspended - Emmet Friars or Ryan McBride are expected to deputise beside McEleney in the centre of defence.
Another close game but my gut says Derry and Derry DNB @ 2.2 (PaddyPower) is good enough. Was debating Both teams to score @ evens but have not been too successful with these bets so far so will swerve this time.

St Patrick’s v Galway United
Galway’s defence is only worsened by Drogheda having leaked 15 goals so far this season. St Patrick’s defence has not been much better (11 conceded) but they did manage a clean sheet on Friday, albeit at the expense of bottom club Drogheda and they will be hoping for a repeat of the 3-0 victory achieved over Galway on the opening day.
Long-term injured captain Conor Kenna (knee) is Athletics only absentee while Galway will be without midfielders Gary Curran and Boby Ryan, striker Joseph Yoffe and defender Shaun Maher faces a late fitness test following a clash of heads in Friday’s defeat to Shamrock Rovers.
St Pats have been scoring freely at home so far this season averaging almost two goals per game and they should have too much for a struggling Galway side.
St Patricks -1 @ 2.2 (Various)

si1965
02-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Not looking good after the early kick-offs :(
Dundalk 1 - 1 Shamrock Rovers
Sligo Rovers 3 - 0 Derry City

Should have gone for booking points in the NE derby - 3 red cards for Derry and one for Sligo

si1965
02-05-2011, 09:18 PM
St. Patricks 5 - 2 Galway :p
Bohemians 1 - 1 Bray Wanderers :sob: 90 min equaliser for Bohs
UC Dublin 2 - 1 Drogheda United

si1965
09-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Too busy atm so couldn't post on Friday - missed out on a big Derry performance :sob:

Three games tonight and two more tomorrow:

Bohemians v Dundalk
Close match expected with a couple of ex-Bohs players visiting their old stamping ground. Dundalk too long at 4.0, but would probably go for AH or DNB.

St. Patrick's Athletic v Shamrock Rovers
Rovers only one defeat so far this season but have been grinding out results. pats have picked up after dodgy start and now in impressive form. Once again I think the odds for home win too big (3.3 in places), but you cannot overlook the quality of the Rovers side, so the DNB option is a good hedge.

U.C.D v Galway United
Derry fired seven past UCD on Friday, but I expect them to pick themselves up and perform much better at home. Galway struggling this season with small squad and injuries - think the Students will edge this but I would need better than 1.83 to part with money tonight.

Derry City v Drogheda United
Sligo Rovers v Bray Wanderers
Will try and give some thought to tomorrow's games later but the standout price at the moment is the HT/FT Derry/Derry @ 1.91 (StanJames) against bottom club Drogs

si1965
09-05-2011, 09:20 PM
UCD 3 : 0 Galway United
Bohemian FC 0 : 1 Dundalk FC
St Patrick 0 : 0 Shamrock Rovers

Pity Pats couldn't find a goal, but a pretty good night.

Louis
09-05-2011, 09:48 PM
UCD 3 : 0 Galway United
Bohemian FC 0 : 1 Dundalk FC
St Patrick 0 : 0 Shamrock Rovers

Pity Pats couldn't find a goal, but a pretty good night.
:p

si1965
10-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Sligo Rovers v Bray Wanderers
Bray, who propped up the table for the majority of last season, have certainly been punching above their weight so far. They are currently unbeaten on the road with three clean sheets out of five. The recent schedule is beginning to take its toll on the small squad however, defenders Chris Shields (ankle) and Adam Mitchell (suspension) are out with doubts over midfielder Danny O'Connor (thigh).
Sligo lie just behind Bray but have not really shown any consistency this season (W5 D2 L4) although two of their four defeats have come at the hands of League leaders Shamrock Rovers. Three defeats have been away so they are pretty solid at home, with three clean sheets out of five with just 3 goals conceded. They go into this match with a full strength squad following the return of defender Gavin Peers from suspension.
Can see this being a closely fought match, with Under 1.5 @ 3.1 (VCBet) looking attractive.

Derry City v Drogheda United
As indicated yesterday HT/FT Derry/Derry @ 1.91 (StanJames) is my pick for this match. Drogheda have been woeful on their travels, only scoring twice in five matches and have just two points courtesy of two home draws so far this season. The fact that one of those draws is one of the biggest blots on Derry's record after they threw away a 2-0 lead will no doubt focus the candystripes on the task ahead. Drogs will be without defender Mark O'Brien (suspended) while Derry trio midfielder Kevin Deery, defenders Emmet Friars and Eddie McCallion return following their suspensions.
Considering their demolition of UCD on Friday (7-0) might have a flutter on Derry -3 @ 6.0 (WillHills)

si1965
10-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Derry City 2 - 0 Drogheda United :p
Sligo Rovers 3 - 1 Bray Wanderers :(

Not quite the goalfest of last Friday for Derry but the important score was in the first half to win the HT/FT bet.
Got the other game completely wrong. :clown:

si1965
13-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Not much time - just back from my drivers awareness course :rolleyes: better than 3 points though.

Bray Wanderers v U.C.D
Bray should have the measure of the Students who have been woeful on the road, however recent form has not been good - no win in 4. This has been due to injuries and suspensions on the small squad combined with a busy schedule and the injured list remains lengthy. No bet for me as the UCD team, while poor, has shown signs of cohesion recently and could snatch something tonight.

Drogheda United v Sligo Rovers
You could argue that bottom club Drogs will eventually win and at home to a Sligo team that has blown hot and cold so far this season there is always a possibility. Not tonight I think - Sligo's upturn in form has a lot to do with the fully fit squad available to Bit'o'Red boss Paul Cook and that is the case tonight. They have not been the most secure at the back so would not rule out a goal for the home side, but I'm backing the visitors HT/FT Sligo/Sligo @ 2.2 (StanJames)

Galway United v Bohemians
Another home team struggling to find their feet - only one victory this season (ironically 1-0 at Bohs), but finding it difficult to find the net at home (scored 1 conceded 12). Bohs are unbeated on their travels so far this season and have the second best defensive record. My pick is a Bohs victory to nil @ 2.3 (PaddyPower)

Off for curry now :p

Louis
13-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Not much time - just back from my drivers awareness course :rolleyes: better than 3 points though.

Bray Wanderers v U.C.D
Bray should have the measure of the Students who have been woeful on the road, however recent form has not been good - no win in 4. This has been due to injuries and suspensions on the small squad combined with a busy schedule and the injured list remains lengthy. No bet for me as the UCD team, while poor, has shown signs of cohesion recently and could snatch something tonight.

Drogheda United v Sligo Rovers
You could argue that bottom club Drogs will eventually win and at home to a Sligo team that has blown hot and cold so far this season there is always a possibility. Not tonight I think - Sligo's upturn in form has a lot to do with the fully fit squad available to Bit'o'Red boss Paul Cook and that is the case tonight. They have not been the most secure at the back so would not rule out a goal for the home side, but I'm backing the visitors HT/FT Sligo/Sligo @ 2.2 (StanJames)

Galway United v Bohemians
Another home team struggling to find their feet - only one victory this season (ironically 1-0 at Bohs), but finding it difficult to find the net at home (scored 1 conceded 12). Bohs are unbeated on their travels so far this season and have the second best defensive record. My pick is a Bohs victory to nil @ 2.3 (PaddyPower)

Off for curry now :p
Two out of two :p :p :cool:

si1965
13-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Back from curry night - topped off with an almost perfect prediction of the nights football. :D

Bray only just scraped past UCD with a 90th minute winner.

Based upon my recent success I get the feeling that I overthink my predictions if given too much time to prepare - the ones where I just put down my initial gut feelings have beem more accurate.

si1965
20-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Bohemians v St. Patrick's Athletic
Dublin derby as 5th plays 6th. Bohs have progressed steadily this season without finding a consistent run. Their position is based upon outstanding away form that sees them unbeaten in seven matches (W5 D2 conceding only 2 goals). Their form at Dalymount Park has been less impressive with just a single win against Drogheda. St Pats had a slow start to the season, but are now on a run of six games unbeaten (W3 D3). Pat's form is the opposite of Bohs with just one home defeat (Bray early in the season) and 14 goals in seven matches. Away from home they have struggled to score as freely - just 5 in 5.
Bohs will be without defender Ger O'Brien (suspended), midfielder Mark Rossiter (hamstring) and reserve goalkeeper Barry Murphy (groin). Pats welcome back midfielder Shane McFaul and captain Conor Kenna while midfielder Dave Mulcahy is back training but still unavailable.
This will be a typical derby game - there is a great rivalry between the two sides so no quarter will be given. I think Pats form is better and will have the edge and am liking the DNB odds @ 2.25 (various).

Derry City v Bray Wanderers
Bray stopped their run of two defeats with their first victory in five games at home to UCD last week - although it did take a 90th minute winner. Having surpassed even their own fans expectations, Bray have struggled recently as injury and suspension has derailled the form of their small squad. They will be pretty much at full strength with injuries only to reserve goalkeeper Darren Quigley (arm) and defender Stephen Brennan (thigh) and Gary Shaw (foot) both of whom are yet to feature this season.
Derry are flying high so far, especially at home where they have the top ranked offence and defence (W3 D2 L1 GF12 GA2). They do have some significant absentees, however, with suspensions to defender Shane McEleney and midfielder Daniel Lafferty, injury to captain and midfielder Kevin Deery (calf) while midfielders Ruaidhri Higgins (knee) and Thomas McBride (ankle) face late fitness tests. Barry Molloy returns after injury to bolster the depleated midfield.
Derry have just two defeats so far this season, to Sligo home and away. Despite their injuries I think they will be too strong for a Bray side low on morale. I do not expect a high scoring game so the Under 2.5 goals @ 1.8 (VCBet) is more attractive than the home win odds.

Other games to follow.

si1965
20-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Shamrock Rovers v Drogheda United
Bottom against top as Drogheda travel to Tallaght Stadium tonight. Still looking for their first win of the season, they face a Rovers side fresh from picking up their first silverware of the season - the Setanta Cup.
Drogheda squad members defender Jack Flynn and midfielder Cillian Thompson are both injured, with suspension ruling out defenders Alan McNally and Mark Nolan. For Shamrock Rovers defenders Ken Oman and Pat Sullivan are unavailble due to suspension.
Difficult to see past a Drogs defeat here - it is just a question of by how many. The top sides (Rovers 4-0, St Pats and Sligo 3-0) have all managed convincing victories, but Drogs have also managed the occasional surprise 1-0 over Bray and 2-2 with Derry. Rovers should see striker Gary Twigg starting after his second half appearance in the Cup final on Saturday - arguably the biggest talent in the League. While Rovers have not exactly struggled in his absence, his presence in those games would I am sure have made a significant difference.
Odds are too short to offer any value however - even a clean sheet win is less than evens. So I am going Shamrock Rovers to win both halves @ 2.2 (PaddyPower)

UCD v Dundalk
An interesting match up - the Students have been playing some attractive football recently and have been unlucky not to see more of a return for their efforts. A distinct lack of a threat up front is certainly a factor, but at least they are making chances. Three wins in the last five looks like good form, however, two of these were against Galway and Drogheda. Defenders Michael Leahy, David O'Connor and Mark Langtry and forward Robbie Benson return from injury for the Students will still be without midfielder Robbie Creevy (ankle) while defender Cillian Morrison has recovered from his ankle injury and may feature.
Dundalk will have to bounce back from their Cup Final defeat but are unbeaten in their last 6 League matches: W3 D3. Dundalk injured include striker Jason Byrne (hamstring) and midfielder Stephen McDonnell (knee & suspended anyway).
Both sides have similar home / away records - UCD W3 L3 at home while Dundalk W3 L3 away. they also have equal GF / GA figures. I see this as a sign that this will end in a draw - 3.25 (various).

Sligo Rovers v Galway United
This is Saturday night - no time to do a proper analysis but fancy Sligo to win this at a canter.

si1965
20-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Bohemians v St. Patrick's Athletic
Pats DNB odds @ 2.25 (various).

Derry City v Bray Wanderers
Under 2.5 goals @ 1.8 (VCBet)

Shamrock Rovers to win both halves @ 2.2 (PaddyPower)

UCD v Dundalk draw - 3.25 (various)

Bohemians 0 - 1 St. Patricks :p
Derry City 1 - 1 Bray Wanderers :p
UC Dublin 0 - 2 Dundalk :(
Shamrock Rovers 3 - 0 Drogheda United :sob: 49th minute for the first goal

Louis
20-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Bohemians 0 - 1 St. Patricks :p
Derry City 1 - 1 Bray Wanderers :p
UC Dublin 0 - 2 Dundalk :(
Shamrock Rovers 3 - 0 Drogheda United :sob: 49th minute for the first goal
Not as good as recent weeks, but still around break-even :p

Si - in other weeks you generally haven't recommended bets on every game - what made you do so this week?

si1965
22-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I was right about Sligo winning - an easy 3-0 victory.

After doing all of the commentary it just seemed like a good idea to make a decision on what to bet. The only one I think was out of character was the UCD bet - I do not normally back draws, but it was just the similarity of their two opposing records that attracted me.

si1965
26-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Difficult set of fixtures to predict tonight (moved from Friday due to the home internationals).

Bohemians v UC Dublin
An all-Dublin clash, but without any of the passion of Bohs v Pats or Rovers. As mentioned before, UCD have been playing some classy football at times and have the potential to cause an upset, although this has been mostly at home as the only team they have managed to defeat on the road has been bottom club Drogheda. Bohs are a bit of a dilemma – they have the best away record in the League but at home are rated just above Galway & Drogs, consequently the Students are actually above Bohs on current form. Bohs have lost the last two (St Pats & Dundalk) and are without a win in seven at home.
Both sides thus have a lot to play for – Bohs will be without key midfielder Mark Rossiter with fellow midfielder Ollie Cahill facing a late fitness test, but otherwise have a full panel following the return of defender Ger O’Brien from suspension. UCD have struggled with injuries recently, midfielder Robbie Creevy is doubtful but key striker Graham Rusk and defender Cillian Morrison have recovered from injury.
Think this will be a low scoring affair, but Bohs manager Pat Fenlon is too much of a professional to let his side struggle at home for too long – Bohemians -1 (AH) @ 2.1 (VCBet)

Bray Wanderers v Shamrock Rovers
Bray are the only side to take 3 points off Rovers this season so Shams will be looking to take a measure of revenge as well as keeping ahead of Sligo who lie just two points behind (albeit with a game more). After an impressive start to the season, Bray have stumbled somewhat as injuries and suspensions have disrupted their progress and have just 4 points from the last 18 (W1 D3 L2). The injury situation is still not fully resolved with the hosts continue without reserve goalie Darren Quigley and defenders Gary Shaw and Stephen Brennan, while there are doubts over midfielders Graham Kelly and Dave Webster and defender Danny O'Connor. Shamrock Rovers have no injury or suspensions going into the game and will be looking to extend their unbeaten record away from home. A tough game to call as I think Bray will be looking to gain at least a point and I think the 1.73 on Rovers to win has no real value. I am going for Rovers to keep a clean sheet @ 2.2 (PaddyPower) – Rovers have conceded only 2 goals in 6 away matches while Bray only average 1 per game at home (8 in 7) with 6 of these against the bottom three clubs.

Galway v Drogheda United
Basement relegation battle as Galway with a single point at home (goalless draw with UCD) face a Drogheda side with a 0-7 record on their travels. With Galway finding the net just once at home and Drogheda only twice away the prospect of a goal fest is looking unlikely.
Both teams have numerous absentees – Drogs will again be without defender Jack Flynn and suspension once again rules out defenders Alan McNally and Mark Nolan. Forward Darragh Hanphy is doubtful. Galway have defender Shaun Kelly suspended, injuries to midfielders Gary Curran, defenders Steve Feeney and Shaun Maher. Midfielders Gary Kelly, Enda Curran and Alan Murphy are all rated as doubtful while forward Joseph Yoffe could make the bench after his ankle injury.
To be honest, this game could go any which way – Galway probably are the better team but both sides are very poor with both managers drawing upon fringe and youth players to shore up the team. No bet for me.

Dundalk v Derry City
This promises to be the game of the night with both teams preferring an attacking style. Derry have been impressive this season and have just one defeat in 12. They have been expansive on the road with a W4 D1 L1 record, averaging 2 goals per game. This freedom of expression was a bit too evident in their last game away to Sligo and resulted in a 3-0 loss along with 3 red cards. Taking out this game, however, they had been very tight at the back with just 2 goals conceded in the other 5 matches.
Dundlak have also had an impressive start to the season – just three points behind Derry, they have the only unbeaten home record (which may have something to do with the artificial turf they play on). They are unbeaten in eight with their last League defeat was to Derry in the reverse fixture.
Derry have only midfielder Kevin Derry unavailable through injury whereas the lilywhites will be without defender Eoghan Osborne , midfielders Stephen Maher and Stephen McDonnell and strikers Jason Byrne and Ross Gaynor (suspended), although the first two are not first team regulars.
Tough one to call – Derry have the momentum but Dundalk have improved since their first encounter and have the home “turf” advantage. Think I will swerve this one.

St. Patricks v Sligo Rovers
Another tight match as second placed Sligo travel to fourth placed Pats. St Pats have been in imperious form following their sluggish start, they are unbeaten in nine gaining 18 points from a possible 27 a run that includes draws away to Shamrock Rovers and Derry. Home form has been the basis of their progress with just one defeat this season, averaging just under two goals per game and less than a goal per game conceded. Captain Conor Kenna is set to miss out once again due to his knee injury.
Sligo have also been in good form but, like Pats, this is based mainly upon a solid home record – on the road they have been less effective W3 D2 L2. They have averaged a goal per game but their defence has been impressive conceding just 4 times in seven games. They are currently on a three game winning streak, scoring three in each game – not so impressive against Galway and Drogheda but the third match was a 3-1 victory over Bray. They have no injury or suspensions for the match.
Another close match that I think will be decided by a single goal – for me Pats home form is the decider and I think the St Pats (0) @ 2.1 (VCBet) an attractive punt.

si1965
26-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Watching the Dundalk v Derry game online. Good open match - Dundalk just scored before HT, but it could have been 2-2

si1965
26-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Galway United FC 1 : 2 Drogheda United
Galway winning at HT, but fall to two 2nd half goals (63' and 67')

Bohemian FC 1 : 0 UCD
Goal in 23rd minute. As predicted a low scoring affair - a second goal would have been nice but at least stake returned on AH.

Dundalk FC 1 : 0 Derry City FC
Goal in brink of HT - entertaining enough match with chances at both ends. Dundalk probably deserved the win as they kept their shape throughout and could easily have nicked a second.

Bray Wanderers 1 : 0 Shamrock Rovers
Closely fought match and goal was against run of play. Bray held on for the win. :(

St Patrick 2 : 1 Sligo Rovers FC
Pats opened score in 4th minute before being pegged back just before the break. North doubles his tally and gets the victory with a screamer in injury time. :p

Louis
13-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Have you taken a break from your tips Si?

si1965
17-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Just been a bit too busy recently and dealing with a few things at home.

FWIW here are my (brief) thoughts on tonight's games...

Shamrock Rovers V Galway United
Comfortable home win but no value in the price.

Bray Wanderers V Dundalk
Bray still punching above their weight while Dundalk still disappoint (4 game losing streak). Cannot see the lilywhites getting much change out of Bray tonight – home win.

Derry City V Bohemians
Bohs have some injury problems and while they are a tough side to break down whose performance has been better on the road, Derry have the momentum at the moment and they should be too strong at home.

Drogheda United V St.Patrick's Athletic
Drogs have found some self-belief in recent weeks that has seen them pick up 3 wins out of the last 4 matches. Pats are hot on the heels of Shamrock Rovers and themselves on an 11 match unbeaten streak. Even an improved Drogs is a long way behind the top teams - should be a professional away win.

si1965
18-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Derry City 3 : 0 Bohemians :p
Drogheda United 1 : 4 St Patrick :p
Shamrock Rovers 4 : 0 Galway United FC :p

Bray game postponed

Flat Noodle
18-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Nice going, Si. Shame only see this now.

Any tip for the Sligo v UCD tonight? :)

si1965
18-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Sligo and UCD both have injuries and suspensions to key players - Sligo defenders Gavin Peers is suspended with Foran and Donovan injured. For UCD their goalkeeper and captain Ger Barron is doubtful along with midfielder Robbie Creevy with defender Michael Leahy suspended.
Sligo are very strong at home, their only defeats coming at the hands of Shamrock Rovers and Bohs. UCD won the reverse fixture and have been successful on the road recently but these were against a non-league side in the cup and the then bottom club Drogheda. They have also been on the wrong end of some big scorelines (6-1 and 7-0) but this has been against the top clubs.
I expect the Students to try and keep things tight, but Sligo will try and test the UCD goalkeeper if Ger Barron does not play. The odds are very short on the home win and the defensive absentees for Sligo puts me off the clean sheet option. They average almost two goals per game so the AH has some appeal Sligo Rovers -1.5 @ 1.704 (Pinnacle)

Flat Noodle
18-06-2011, 02:36 PM
My bookie doesn't have the handicap option and like you said, the home win odds is too short. Only decent value I can see is the O/U2.5 goals. What do u think?

si1965
18-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Sligo would happily take a 2-0 and ensure they pick up now further injuries - Manager Paul Cook: "The one thing we don’t want to do is get into an injury crisis. We’ve been lucky recently but this week it certainly does labour us and we can’t afford to get too many more.” So they may not push the game after they get their noses in front. Having said that UCD morale may collappse and they end up leaking a few goals anyway. Alan Kirby first goalscorer is a good option - he had a hatful of chances last week so will be keen to score.

si1965
19-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Sligo win 4-0 in the end :p
UCD played well before conceding just before half time. A lack of concentration meant Sligo attacked from the restart and scored again from the ensuing corner in the final action of the half. With their tails up Sligo maintained the pressure and were rewwarded with further two goals to seal the tie.

There is a further set of matches early in the week so will try and provide some tips:

Monday
Bray Wanderers v Bohemians

Tuesday
Derry City v Sligo Rovers
Drogheda United v U.C.D
Galway United v St. Patrick's Athletic
Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk

si1965
20-06-2011, 04:55 PM
After a patchy start at home that included a 3-1 loss to Bohs, Bray have been very good recently at the Carlisle Grounds – P5 W4 D0 L1 GF7 GA3. In complete contrast to their home form Bohs were impressive on the road, but two defeats (Shamrock Rovers and Derry) have tarnished their record somewhat – P9 W5 D2 L2 GF10 GA6. The downturn in their recent form has coincided with injuries and suspensions to key players and has seen them win only 1 of their last five –W1 D1 L3. Significantly their last three victories have all been at the weaker sides – Drogheda, Galway and UCD.
Bray have long-term injuries to Stephen Brennan Jake Kelly and Darren Quigley, with defensive midfielder Dave Webster still injured since the Sligo defeat (10th May). Bohs welcome back Killian Brennan and Danny Joyce from suspension, but Ollie Cahill, (midfielder), Ger O'Brien (defender) and Chris O'Connor (goalkeeper) who all featured in the 1-1 draw at home to Bray last month are out with injuries.
Not quite sure why the bookies have Bohs as marginal favourites for this game. Despite a 3-0 defeat to Derry, Bohs did play well on Friday and their previous away form means they have to be respected, however, Bohs offense has not been firing recently and they have struggled against the better teams. Bray have also had a week off following the washout on Friday so I think Bray will edge this in a low scoring match. 2.6 is widely available for the home side and the 1.8 DNB (PaddyPower) option still provides good value as does the 1.73 +0.25 AH (Pinnacle)

si1965
21-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Bray lost 2-1 last night to end my run :(

Just a few quick thoughts for tonights matches...

Derry City v Sligo Rovers
Sligo have been only clubs to take all 6 points off of Derry so far this season - the first a closely fought encounter that sligo nicked a single goal and then a bizzare match at Sligo where 3 Derry players saw red in their 3-0 defeat. Think that Derry will redress the balance tonight but this is a local derby and Sligo will be up for it as well. Both teams to score @ Evens (WillHill)

Drogheda United v U.C.D
Two poor teams but Drogs have been showing signs of improvement recently. The Students have been leaking goals recently but this was against much better opposition than Drogs. This could go either way so no bet for me.

Galway United v St. Patrick's Athletic
Galway are the whipping boys of the League at the moment and showing no signs of this changing in the near future. The straight win odds odds reflect this however so I am going for St Pats to win to nil @ 1.83 (PaddyPower) on the basis that Galway have only scored once (against Drogs) in their last 8 matches.

Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk
Rovers are top of the table with just two defaets this season (both to Bray). Dundalk are on a 3 match losing streak caused in part by a lengthy injury list. This has not eased dramatically so I can see Rovers continuing their tehure at the top of the table with another home win. Shamrock Rovers HT/FT @ 1.83 (PaddyPower)

si1965
22-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Derry City 0 : 0 Sligo Rovers FC :(
Drogheda United 3 : 1 UCD
Galway United 0 : 2 St Patrick :p
Shamrock Rovers 2 : 2 Dundalk FC :(

allenhall
04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I still think they can shut out the Students

Galway are tough to break down away but I think Derry play with a bit more confidence now and should edge this.

Louis
09-09-2011, 12:43 PM
This site is good for news and previews of Irish matches:

http://extratime.ie/

si1965
09-09-2011, 02:00 PM
The recent Paddy Power Crystal Palace debacle pointed me in the direction of this discussion board as well: Boards.ie - based in Ireland they often discuss the LOI.

Here are some cuurent posts...
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74302769#post74302769

Another is Foot.ie who have individual team threads as well as a general discussion although mostly they link to other sites (esp extratime) and the media e.g. rte and the irish indpendent who frequently post previews as well as match reports.

Must get back into the LOI - have been too busy recently which has severely restricted my ability to research and post (and bet).

Flat Noodle
16-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Totally forgot that there's a thread specially dedicated for my beloved Irish league.

Derry City v Galway (pub side) tonight.

As noted by Si previously, Galway is a mere pub side. Anything less than a lob side victory to Derry will be a real shock to me. The bookies are also in the same mind, pricing Derry @ 1.05 to win and -3.0 hcp @ evens.

Si, Louis, all aboard? :)

Flat Noodle
16-10-2011, 08:20 PM
4-0 :lux:

Noodle is reaming the bookies senseless thanks to this Irish league football :lux:

si1965
21-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Fancy Bray to overcome the handicap away to Galway tonight.

Galway are crippled by injuries with just 12 fit players with some U19s filing the bench. ohn Egan (knee) and Eduardo Dusi (hamstring) join an already ling injury list while Gary Kelly is suspended after picking up his fouth yellow. Galway are already condemned to the relegation play-off, consequently, their main concern here is to avoid further injury to the threadbare squad before the play-offs on Nov 1st and 4th.

Bray's form has not been very good recently but they have had a tough series of matches against teams in the top half of the table, however, they dispatched Drogheda comfortably 4-1 last week. Bray cannot improve upon 6th place, but could be caught by Dundalk - who they host at home on the last day of the season.

Bray -1.75 @ 2.0 (Bet365)

Flat Noodle
21-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Almost forgot that they are playing tonight.

All aboard :p

Louis
21-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Fancy Bray to overcome the handicap away to Galway tonight.

Galway are crippled by injuries with just 12 fit players with some U19s filing the bench. ohn Egan (knee) and Eduardo Dusi (hamstring) join an already ling injury list while Gary Kelly is suspended after picking up his fouth yellow. Galway are already condemned to the relegation play-off, consequently, their main concern here is to avoid further injury to the threadbare squad before the play-offs on Nov 1st and 4th.

Bray's form has not been very good recently but they have had a tough series of matches against teams in the top half of the table, however, they dispatched Drogheda comfortably 4-1 last week. Bray cannot improve upon 6th place, but could be caught by Dundalk - who they host at home on the last day of the season.

Bray -1.75 @ 2.0 (Bet365)
If it's any help, 'extratime' agrees that Bray should win by 2 clear goals -

http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/12681/0/

Flat Noodle
21-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I'll stick my neck out and say it'll be at least 4 clear goals ;)

Flat Noodle
21-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Also fancy Cork City to smash Longford in the Div 1.

si1965
21-10-2011, 07:37 PM
3-0 to Bray :)

Not yet half time.

si1965
21-10-2011, 07:43 PM
4-0 HT

Louis
21-10-2011, 07:48 PM
All set up for a stirring second half comeback by Galway then

si1965
21-10-2011, 08:11 PM
5-0
:D

si1965
21-10-2011, 08:47 PM
6-0 in the end. Result never in doubt.
Good call by Noodle on the big handicap.

Louis
21-10-2011, 08:50 PM
6-0 in the end. Result never in doubt.
Good call by Noodle on the big handicap.
:p

Flat Noodle
21-10-2011, 09:47 PM
:lux:

Flat Noodle
21-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Also fancy Cork City to smash Longford in the Div 1.
Cork City wins 3-1.

Would have completed my perfect night had they landed my HT/FT bet (1-1 HT) :(

AJ8
22-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Cracking shout for the Bray game, unfortunately I was too late backing it!

si1965
22-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Quite fancy Shelbourne to beat the handicap against Salthill later . Shels chasing Cork for the title but have this match in hand to put them ahead. Cork have much better goal dif so opportunity to score a few against bottom club. Shels have full squad available.

Flat Noodle
22-10-2011, 04:55 PM
All aboard :p

si1965
22-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Shels form of late has not been great but am hoping the view of the finishing line will spur them on tonight. Salthill are the Galway of the First Division, winning only twice this season (against fellow basement club Wexford) - ironically they are based in Galway as well :)
Shels have played them 5 times and won every time scoring 15 goals in total and conceeding just once, which was their last match a 4-1 victory to Shels.
Salthill gained a 1-1 draw last week against Longford and their goalscorer James Whelan will be suspendedfor tonights match.

Louis
22-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Quite fancy Shelbourne to beat the handicap against Salthill later . Shels chasing Cork for the title but have this match in hand to put them ahead. Cork have much better goal dif so opportunity to score a few against bottom club. Shels have full squad available.
FT: 1-4

Si in form :p

Louis
24-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Monday 24th October, 7.45pm

UCD v Shamrock Rovers

If Shamrock win tonight, they win the title ...

http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/12683/0/

Flat Noodle
24-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Sir Si, your comment pls? :D

Had a quick read through the Extratime link Louis posted, i think the Rovers might want to avenge the loss from last season and wrap up the title in style. Reckon Shamrock by 3+

si1965
24-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Gary Twigg is a significant absentee for Rovers - their player of the season who seems to be at the centre of most of Rovers creative play. During the first FAI Cup against Shelbourne his withdrawal at half time changed the game - Rovers looked like a different team and 10 man Shels out-played them.

Also, would not read too much into their earlier meetings as the Students performances have been much better recently.

Tough one to call - if they score early, UCD may just capitulate and leak a few more. However, I think that they will provide tough opposition tonight. May even look at backing them on the positive handicap.

Louis
24-10-2011, 04:01 PM
UCD may just capitulate and leak a few more. However, I think that they will provide tough opposition tonight. May even look at backing them on the positive handicap.
Someone said something similar on the PL boards

si1965
24-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Wasn't me :D

Pitch inspection - been lashing down rain for last 48 hrs. Might be postponed until tomorrow acording to the Shamrock Rovers forum. If it goes ahead, got to wonder what impact the conditions may play.

The more I look at this fixture the less confident I get (over-analysisng perhaps).
Looking at the previous games, in two of the high-scoring matches, UCD were down to 10 men so the scoreline is a little misleading.
Rovers final match is against Galway (at home) so there is no pressure on them to deliver tonight and they might be crowned Champions by default if this weeks results go their way.

Louis
24-10-2011, 04:14 PM
The more I look at this fixture the less confident I get
Less confident about what? Shamrock or UCD? :confused:

si1965
24-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Both :moo:

si1965
24-10-2011, 04:51 PM
The game is off - rearranged for 7pm tomorrow night.

By way of compensation - may I point you in the direction of Finn Harps v Shelbourne tomorrow night.

This is Shels game in hand over league leaders Cork - a win will put them 2 points clear at the top. A draw in no good as Cork have a +11 better goal difference. This will not secure them the title but as the final match is at home against Cork, it will give them the comfort of the draw in that match.

Finn Harps third from bottom and while they are not of the Salthill / Wexford standard (they beat Wexford 4-1 on Saturday) they should be an easy target for Shels.

Just looked at the odds and they are on the skinny side so will do some research and see if there are any other betting angles.

Flat Noodle
25-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Shelbourne is a lock then. :p

si1965
25-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Going for a bit of a value punt - based upon the effect of the weather on the pitches and the fact that in both matches the win is all important and the number of goals scored somewhat irrelevant (hoping that once they get in front they will try and defend rather than score more).

Under 2.5 goals
Shelbourne v Finn Harps @ 2.55
UCD v Shamrock Rovers @ 2.65

Both with Expekt

Louis
25-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Going for a bit of a value punt - based upon the effect of the weather on the pitches and the fact that in both matches the win is all important and the number of goals scored somewhat irrelevant (hoping that once they get in front they will try and defend rather than score more).

Under 2.5 goals
Shelbourne v Finn Harps @ 2.55
UCD v Shamrock Rovers @ 2.65

Both with Expekt
I've noticed Shamrock Rovers are pretty defensive-minded, and I think they are missing few key strikers tonight. So the unders on that game looks decent value.

Flat Noodle
25-10-2011, 08:35 PM
The game is off - rearranged for 7pm tomorrow night.

By way of compensation - may I point you in the direction of Finn Harps v Shelbourne tomorrow night.

This is Shels game in hand over league leaders Cork - a win will put them 2 points clear at the top. A draw in no good as Cork have a +11 better goal difference. This will not secure them the title but as the final match is at home against Cork, it will give them the comfort of the draw in that match.

Finn Harps third from bottom and while they are not of the Salthill / Wexford standard (they beat Wexford 4-1 on Saturday) they should be an easy target for Shels.

Just looked at the odds and they are on the skinny side so will do some research and see if there are any other betting angles.
Shelbourne already 4-0 up :lux:

si1965
26-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Rovers 90th minute winner scuppered by under bet. Was right that UCD would make a game of it though. Shels did the business with more effectiveness than I expected to sink the other under bet but a win is a win.

Louis
27-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Friday 28th October 19.45
Shamrock Rovers v Galway

Is there value in opposing Shamrock Rovers as they celebrate winning the league title against bottom-placed Galway?

Just wondering if there is some value in these bets with Bet 365 -

Galway +2.5 @ 67/40
Galway +3.5 @ 31/40

http://www.soccerway.com/teams/ireland-republic/galway-united-football-club/

Shamrock have scored 65 goals at home this season in 35 games, average 1.85 per game. They have conceded 24 goals in the same time, an average of 0.68. So on average, they win by 1.17 goals at home.

Galway have scored 20 goals away in 35 games this season, an average of 0.57. In the same time, they have conceded a whopping 111 goals, an average of 3.17. So on average, they lose by 2.6 goals away from home.

If we add 1.17 and 2.6 = 3.77 then divide by 2, we get 1.88. So I think this means you could expect Shamrock Rovers to beat Galway by around 2 goals.

Shamrock v Galway
Last 5 league games at Shamrock

1-0
1-1
2-0
3-0
4-0

11-1
Average - Shamrock win by 2 goals

Galway have really been shipping goals away from home recently, and have conceded 23 in their last 5 games, scoring 3, an average 4 goal loss. So I suppose you could reasonably expect Shamrock Rovers to win by, say, 3 or 4 goals, which explains the high handicap.

Tomorrow night is also the night when Shamrock celebrate winning the title ...

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/2265-home-to-galway-team-news

I've noticed over the years that teams who have just win the title often fail to win their next game. There are lots of examples of this, particularly when teams play at home after winning the title. The fans are in party mood, and don't particularly care about the result. The team sometimes gets affected by this and perhaps their opponents raise their game at the same time. Could this happen tomorrow night?

Shamrock Rovers boss Michael O’Neill says: “It will be a great night for everyone at the club ... But there is also still a game to be played. We will want to end the season on a high, and of course win the league by as many points as possible.”

Louis
27-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Apparently Galway will be in the playoffs next week to decide if they are in the Premier League next season - so they will look on this game as preparation for that.

si1965
27-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Apparently Galway will be in the playoffs next week to decide if they are in the Premier League next season - so they will look on this game as preparation for that.

Yes, in a 2 leg playoff probably against Monaghan on the 1st and 4th Nov. The only thing is, the Galway squad is stretched so thin at the moment with injuries I would think the main aim is to avoid losing any more personnel before the two games that really matter.

si1965
27-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Rovers do have a Europa Cup game next week so they may have one eye on that as well - after a good game against PAOK last week they are keen to score some points.

Louis
27-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Yes, in a 2 leg playoff probably against Monaghan on the 1st and 4th Nov. The only thing is, the Galway squad is stretched so thin at the moment with injuries I would think the main aim is to avoid losing any more personnel before the two games that really matter.
Just listened to an interview with their caretaker manager who said the same. He also highlighted the importance of them concentrating defensively - he said in recent games, they tend to fall apart after conceding the first goal. Still think there might be some value in backing Galway. Might watch it online for a possible bet in-play though.

Flat Noodle
27-10-2011, 11:52 PM
I expect another blowout. Shamrock by 4+

si1965
28-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I like the look of Monaghan away to Athlone - Monaghan need to win to gain the playoff spot. Limerick (home to Waterford) are only a point behind so a draw is not really an option.
Athlone are not a bad side - they are in 7th with no hope of catching Longford in 6th, however they could be overtaken by Mervue in 8th who play Finn Harps who are 3 points behind in 9th.
By way of comparison, they were beaten 3-1 by Limerick last week and Monaghan have beaten them both times they faced each other this season 1-0 and 3-0.
Don't think Athlone will make life easy for them but am going for Monaghan -1.5 @ 2.02 (Pinnacle)

Louis
28-10-2011, 10:04 AM
For what it's worth 'extratime' predicts a 4-1 win for Shamrock Rovers over Galway -

http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/12687/0/

Flat Noodle
28-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Don't see much value in Shamrock tonight. The handicap -2.5 only paying evens.

Have turned my attention to Bray vs Dundalk match. Reckon Bray should be comfortable winner for their last match at home this season. $1.83 for the win and $3.00 HT/FT, also $3.50 for Bray -1.5

si1965
28-10-2011, 07:44 PM
2-0 Rovers at HT. Galway started brightly enough but a shot from outside the area on 29 mins and a 37th min free kick which everyone missed that nestled in the corner give Rovers the advantage. Can see the Galway goalie being kept busy in the second half as well.

Sorry Noodle - Bray being held to a goalless draw at HT

si1965
28-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Gotta love the live updates on the Extratime site...

This from the Bray v Dundalk match

The atmosphere is electric now here in Bray. There are literally dozens of people out tonight to watch this crunch tie.

si1965
28-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Bray 1-0

si1965
28-10-2011, 08:13 PM
3-0 Rovers

Louis
28-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Friday 28th October 19.45
Shamrock Rovers v Galway

Is there value in opposing Shamrock Rovers as they celebrate winning the league title against bottom-placed Galway?

Just wondering if there is some value in these bets with Bet 365 -

Galway +2.5 @ 67/40
Galway +3.5 @ 31/40

http://www.soccerway.com/teams/ireland-republic/galway-united-football-club/

Shamrock have scored 65 goals at home this season in 35 games, average 1.85 per game. They have conceded 24 goals in the same time, an average of 0.68. So on average, they win by 1.17 goals at home.

Galway have scored 20 goals away in 35 games this season, an average of 0.57. In the same time, they have conceded a whopping 111 goals, an average of 3.17. So on average, they lose by 2.6 goals away from home.

If we add 1.17 and 2.6 = 3.77 then divide by 2, we get 1.88. So I think this means you could expect Shamrock Rovers to beat Galway by around 2 goals.

Shamrock v Galway
Last 5 league games at Shamrock

1-0
1-1
2-0
3-0
4-0

11-1
Average - Shamrock win by 2 goals

Galway have really been shipping goals away from home recently, and have conceded 23 in their last 5 games, scoring 3, an average 4 goal loss. So I suppose you could reasonably expect Shamrock Rovers to win by, say, 3 or 4 goals, which explains the high handicap.

Tomorrow night is also the night when Shamrock celebrate winning the title ...

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/2265-home-to-galway-team-news

I've noticed over the years that teams who have just win the title often fail to win their next game. There are lots of examples of this, particularly when teams play at home after winning the title. The fans are in party mood, and don't particularly care about the result. The team sometimes gets affected by this and perhaps their opponents raise their game at the same time. Could this happen tomorrow night?

Shamrock Rovers boss Michael O’Neill says: “It will be a great night for everyone at the club ... But there is also still a game to be played. We will want to end the season on a high, and of course win the league by as many points as possible.”
Full Time: Shamrock Rovers 4 Galway United 0

I saw most of the game. Shamrock Rovers were impressive deserved winners, considering that they had nothing to play for, and teams who have just won a title quite often relax and under-perform in the next game. In fact, Shamrock Rovers did under-perform in that they played within themselves for a lot of the game, but the professionalism was still admirable. Galway impressed me in the opening 20 minutes. They looked lively in attack, worked hard, and had more chances than Shamrock. But they were never quite the same after Shamrock took the lead with a fine Freedman-style instant lob shot from the edge of the area. A few minutes later, the Galway keeper failed to collect a free kick, and it was 2-0 and the game was effectively over. Although Galway kept working, they didn't really threaten in the second half and Shamrock added two more goals late on.

Flat Noodle
28-10-2011, 10:19 PM
I expect another blowout. Shamrock by 4+
:hi:

si1965
28-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Don't see much value in Shamrock tonight. The handicap -2.5 only paying evens.

Have turned my attention to Bray vs Dundalk match. Reckon Bray should be comfortable winner for their last match at home this season. $1.83 for the win and $3.00 HT/FT, also $3.50 for Bray -1.5

Errm... 1-0 (0-0 HT)

si1965
29-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Momaghan 2-0 HT

si1965
29-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Monaghan win 5-0 :lux:

Real drama in the Shelbourne v Cork match. 1-1 going into injury time - Shelbourne think the title is theirs only to concede in the 94th minute. Cork win the 1st Division.

Louis
29-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Monaghan win 5-0 :lux:
Nice one Si :p

Flat Noodle
04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Second leg of the playoff is on tonight between Galway vs Monaghan.

Mons won the first leg 2-0 and will hope to secure the promotion tonight. Galway (the pub side) will probably be throwing everything at Mons since this will be their last chance to get something from their disappointing season. With the two goals cushion already, I'd expect Mons to sit back more and content to defend especially away from home. I think a draw is a real possibility, could be 0-0 or 1-1. Going with the Under 2.5 goals and the draw tonight.

Si, Louis, any comment?

si1965
04-11-2011, 03:26 PM
It is one of those games that could go either way - a closely fought stalemate or a goalfest - although the Galway caretaker Manager is talking about 90 minutes of all-out attack so maybe the latter is the more likely. Both sides have some personnel missing following the red cards in the first match but Galway still have added injuries with a couple more doubtful.

The local press is realistic about Galway's chances, this from the Galway Advertiser:
With only one competitive win registered in 39 matches in 2011 Galway don't seem equipped to take Monaghan's scalp as Roddy Collins' charges are on the verge of a return to the top flight of Irish football. While Galway had some small pockets of supremacy in Gortakeegan, Monaghan were the more clinical outfit and they will now be protecting a commanding lead at the Dyke Road venue.
Galway, who have leaked soft goals throughout a troubled campaign, were caught out in the 13th minute when Sean Brennan's delivery located Michael Isichei, who provided an opportunistic close range finish.
There were encouraging moments for Galway after the restart with Ronan Caldwell forcing Monaghan custodian Gabriel Sava to make a reflex save, but an incident in the 80th minute had a negative effect for Jumbo Brennan's team. Galway substitute Sean Gavin, making only his second appearance in the maroon shirt, was dismissed along with Monaghan's Eric Foley.
In the closing stages Monaghan added another goal which could have a critical impact as Jordan Keegan's clever assist allowed Sean Brennan nudge Collins' team closer to the Premier League. A significant turnaround is now required and the statistics won't give Galway too much comfort.
Galway have bagged two goals or more inside 90 minutes five times in 39 tussles, but from those matches only one draw has been recorded which demonstrates the considerable problems that have been encountered. The harsh current reality is that Galway's present squad is nowhere near good enough to be operating at this level and that has been confirmed on a weekly basis.
Forced to introduce youngsters and ask others to make the massive leap from the junior game has meant that Galway have endured so many painful defeats. Undoubtedly unexpected results can occur in a play-off situation, but Collins had Monaghan primed and ready for a gritty Tribe challenge and the border outfit landed the blows that truly mattered too. Obviously an early Galway reply at Terryland could put Monaghan under duress, but the alarming manner in which goals have been frittered away doesn't bode well for those seeking an improbable comeback.
This has been a sobering journey for the Corribsiders, who have suffered so much agony on and off the park, but a rebuilding phase is imminent. Brennan already has declared his intentions to reshape his squad, while the management committee, charged with the difficult task of rejuvenating Galway United, are hopeful that a licence can be secured for 2012.
Essentially the winter is all about ensuring that Galway survive in the League of Ireland and regardless of the Monaghan outcome that task is being embraced which does offer a degree of hope. A dramatic Galwegian revival with a three goal victory is unlikely, but Brennan will be seeking strong performances from Paul Sinnott, Laurence Gaughan, Gary Kelly, Alan Murphy, and Mikey Gilmore, who are among the few to remain on the books at the club next term.

Louis
04-11-2011, 03:44 PM
It is one of those games that could go either way - a closely fought stalemate or a goalfest - although the Galway caretaker Manager is talking about 90 minutes of all-out attack so maybe the latter is the more likely. Both sides have some personnel missing following the red cards in the first match but Galway still have added injuries with a couple more doubtful.

The local press is realistic about Galway's chances, this from the Galway Advertiser:
Hard to predict the result isn't it - but Monaghan do seem a bit short at 1.44, with Galway at 9.5 and the draw at 4.6. If Galway were that bad they would have lost more than 2-0 in the first game. It seems likely that there will be quite a few goals so over 2.5 goals at 1.69 on Betfair might be worthwhile. Think I will probably steer clear though.

si1965
04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
No value in the Overs so I think the best option is both teams to score @ 2 (PaddyPower). Galway were unlucky not to score in the first leg so I fancy them to score in front of their home crowd.

si1965
05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
1-3 in the end. Monaghan comfortable winners. Galway made me wait until the 82nd minute before finding the net, but a win is a win. :)

Flat Noodle
05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Si = Irish Football God.

Wish I see your post sooner, would have listened and followed. :(