PDA

View Full Version : Where is Eddie McGoldrick now?


joshr
24-05-2001, 06:47 PM
Charlie Chaplin, made some comment on BBC site about the appointment of KK as manager of Man City, being an ex blues player and all that.....

It got me thinking,
a) which clubs did he play for after Arsenal and City
and
b) where the hell is he now?

Questions that I need answers to....

Sandowneagle
24-05-2001, 06:51 PM
I can't help with the first bit but he is currently employed by the BBC as an expert summariser. I've heard him do Ireland games and also reviewed Preston v Palace on their local BBC radio last season.

------------------
I'm on my way......

joshr
24-05-2001, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle:
I can't help with the first bit but he is currently employed by the BBC as an expert summariser. I've heard him do Ireland games and also reviewed Preston v Palace on their local BBC radio last season.




top boy!

Cheers

PJ
24-05-2001, 07:22 PM
He was apparently the only signing that Coppell made during his spell at Maine Road. He went on loan to Stockport but they sent him back after 2 matches ... obviously not very impressed.

I vaguely recall hearing about him coaching or managing in the non-league somewhere. Corby Town perhaps ... somewhere in the midlands.

Papster
24-05-2001, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by joshr:
Charlie Chaplin, made some comment on BBC site about the appointment of KK as manager of Man City, being an ex blues player and all that.....

It got me thinking,
a) which clubs did he play for after Arsenal and City
and
b) where the hell is he now?

Questions that I need answers to....
FREAKY!! I was going to post a where's Eddie thread http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/eek.gif http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/eek.gif http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/eek.gif

PJ
24-05-2001, 08:24 PM
Further investigation reveals that Eddie McGoldrick was appointed manager of Corby Town in November 2000. I got this from an unbelievably dull Corby Town messageboard that reveals nothing of interest about the appointment other the fact that he's a 'local lad'.

It also includes the following ringing endorsement from an Irish fan ...

Apologies in advance from Ireland for inflicting Eddie McGoldrick on you. I'm not sure what he will be like as a manger, but as a player he was pīss poor and it's incredible that he was winning Ireland caps under Jack Charlton at a time when we were reaching World Cups etc. Eddie won 15 caps from 1992 to 1995. His last game was against England in Dublin in 1995 when the game (a friendly) was abandoned after a riot by English fans. A suitable send off for a poor player. Good luck!

... I don't think he made many friends wherever he played after leaving Palace. I don't forgive him after hearing him give an interview on Capital Gold immediately after our relegation at Highbury in '93 when he categorically stated that himself and all the squad would definitely stick together and get the club back up the following season. He then went home, realized what he'd just said and secured a transfer to Arsenal.

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
24-05-2001, 08:24 PM
all very well pining for the moustachioed wonder, but where is the majestic JM (and his fringe/parting barnet combo ?)

interested in sydney.
25-05-2001, 01:24 PM
I always wondered why Arsenal signed McGoldrick. As for JM I always thought it was more a quiff than a fringe.

joshr
25-05-2001, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Papster:
Originally posted by joshr:
Charlie Chaplin, made some comment on BBC site about the appointment of KK as manager of Man City, being an ex blues player and all that.....

It got me thinking,
a) which clubs did he play for after Arsenal and City
and
b) where the hell is he now?

Questions that I need answers to....
FREAKY!! I was going to post a where's Eddie thread http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/eek.gif http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/eek.gif http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/eek.gif

great minds and all that....

markholmes1991
25-05-2001, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by PJ:
He was apparently the only signing that Coppell made during his spell at Maine Road. He went on loan to Stockport but they sent him back after 2 matches ... obviously not very impressed.

I vaguely recall hearing about him coaching or managing in the non-league somewhere. Corby Town perhaps ... somewhere in the midlands.

Coppell also got Jolly (only on loan from us) but doesn't this qualify as a signing?

bucketbongeagle
25-05-2001, 07:37 PM
He was brilliant at falling over, must of won us dozens of penalties and free kicks, if only Rubens had his tumbling ability he might be of some use

Psychokiller
28-05-2001, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by bucketbongeagle:
He was brilliant at falling over, must of won us dozens of penalties and free kicks, if only Rubens had his tumbling ability he might be of some use

He was good as a 1st division winger. In the top flight he was ok, but a touch lightweight. Having said that, I remember a game away at Liverpool where he played as sweeper and looked world class!

However, when he left us to go to the Arse by all accounts he was crap!

SE20
29-05-2001, 02:03 AM
I agree with Psychokiller, he was an OK winger but a better sweeper.

By the way, Jerry Murphy had more of a wedge, I would say.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
29-05-2001, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by bucketbongeagle:
He was brilliant at falling over

Not always on purpose! I have cloudy memories of a game where their keeper was up in our box in extra time (for a header) and the ball got cleared to Eddie... with a free run on goal (albeit from well within our half) he ran up the right wing and fell over his own feet.

Now who was that against and did I remember it right? Was it Hans Segars (therefore Wimbledon...???) Hmmm.

LP
10-06-2001, 07:44 PM
He is currently managing Corby Town. My girlfriend is from up there and when we go up to visit her rellies, after being laughed at for being a Palace fan (in a town in the middle of England populated almost exclusively by Celtic and Rangers supporting Jocks and Man U/Scouse glory hunters), the subject sometimes turns to Eddie.

The thing is everyone says he is crap, but they naturally judge him on his time with the Arse. I will always maintain he was a good player for us. Eddie adds credence to the theory that it is sometimes better to remain a big fish in a small sea, than vice versa. Perhaps Clinton should remember this next time he feels we are a bit beneath his station.