anyone else started looking yet?

GodstoneEagle
15-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Got on Leicester and Paris Saint-Germain each at 7/1

foxinthebox
15-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Good price on Leicester. Certainly nothing like that kicking around now

Thoughts on Palace to get promoted at 40/1? regardless off palace affinity it seems a bit long. Might have a few quid on. Looks a very open League after West Ham and Leicester to me

LLCOOLSTEVE
15-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Leicester/Crawley double maybe

delboy01
18-07-2011, 12:02 PM
(All with corals)

Palace in the championship handicap at +30 points (only barnsley and doncaster have a higher handicap!). All 18-1. EW 1/4 1-2-3-4

Palace to finish higher than:

Group D

Palace (9-2)!!!
Peterboro
Watford
Barnsley
Doncaster
Coventry

cantspell
18-07-2011, 12:20 PM
League

Brentford to be promoted 8/1
Orient to be promoted 11/1

Louis
18-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Thoughts on Palace to get promoted at 40/1? regardless off palace affinity it seems a bit long.
Does seem a bit long. Obviously most people think we're more likely to be struggling against relegation than fighting for promotion.

GodstoneEagle
18-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Anyone know why Betfair haven't got a premier league handicap yet?

DaveP
18-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Manchester Utd to win Premiership
Leicester City to win Championship
Preston North End to win League One
Crawley Town to win League Two

Hernandez top Premiership Goalscorer

Murray to be top Championship Goalscorer

Palace to win promotion by any means.

Havent placed them as yet but they are the bets i will be doing.

Mad Max
18-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Good price on Leicester. Certainly nothing like that kicking around now

Thoughts on Palace to get promoted at 40/1? regardless off palace affinity it seems a bit long. Might have a few quid on. Looks a very open League after West Ham and Leicester to me80/1 with Tote :eek: :eek:

BW_Palace
18-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Currently in the process of pricing up the CCC long-terms...at a glance I do feel we have been underrated (don't think I'm being biased) when you look at our potential lineup - BUT, our squad remains wafer thin.

Louis
18-07-2011, 02:47 PM
80/1 with Tote :eek: :eek:
That's to win the Championship, not to get promoted.

delboy01
18-07-2011, 03:18 PM
That's to win the Championship, not to get promoted.

Indeed 100-1 corals

GodstoneEagle
18-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Currently in the process of pricing up the CCC long-terms...at a glance I do feel we have been underrated (don't think I'm being biased) when you look at our potential lineup - BUT, our squad remains wafer thin.
will be interested to see your thoughts.

Louis
18-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Palace are also 2.0 (evens) with Betfair to finish in the top 12

LDNEAGLE
18-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Brighton to get relegated 10/1 put a tenner on it with betfair :o

herts_palace
18-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Mine so far

Coventry to get relegated - 5/2 - VC - Very good Bet. Thorne may be good but they have lost a lot of players and are skint
QPR to get Relegated - 15/8 - Coral - Good bet
Southend to be promoted - 7-1 - VC - Not sure, is there a sentimental angle to this? At the moment my preference is for Bristol Rovers, but Crawley are hot favourites and Gillingham look like they could be strong
Luis Suarez top Premier League goalscorer - 20/1 e/w - Coral - Wouldn't touch this market - Too iffy

See above

herts_palace
18-07-2011, 08:43 PM

Leicester to get promoted!!!!!!! Don't you mean win?

herts_palace
18-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Palace are also 2.0 (evens) with Betfair to finish in the top 12

That's very poor value. I would expect something like 4/1 before I would consider that bet.The market isn't that liquid as I have quite a few requests up myself[to back and to lay].

ChaceTheAce
18-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I will be doing-
Man City to win the Premier League
Crystal Palace to get promoted

Will be doing weekly accumulators also.

BW_Palace
18-07-2011, 09:52 PM
See above

fwiw, 'too iffy' is a really bad reason to not be in a market...if anything it's a reason to be in the market as it creates more scope for bad prices. Had a bet on Suarez fwiw, make it something like 16/1 (pre-Tevez Corinthians, would be slightly shorter now).

Also on Hernandez @ 11, Rooney @ 11 (prices gone), Bent @ 15, RVP @ 13 (prices still there) for next year, all ew. By backing all 3 at those prices I'm effectively getting 2.66 that Hernandez/Rooney/Bent/RVP/Suarez are Top Goalscorer which seems a decent price to me.

In more esoteric stuff I'm on Xamax to win the Swiss League @ 100 thanks to GE's tip up, PSG to win Ligue @ 6 (sadly didn't get on the bandwagon early on but was still value I think) and Hoffenheim to win Bundesliga @ 180.

herts_palace
18-07-2011, 10:04 PM
fwiw, 'too iffy' is a really bad reason to not be in a market...if anything it's a reason to be in the market as it creates more scope for bad prices. Had a bet on Suarez fwiw, make it something like 16/1 (pre-Tevez Corinthians, would be slightly shorter now).

Ok fair enough but how can you price a market when you don't know how many runners in it and who they all are?

Louis
18-07-2011, 10:34 PM
That's very poor value. I would expect something like 4/1 before I would consider that bet.The market isn't that liquid as I have quite a few requests up myself[to back and to lay].
Well if you compare it with 40/1 to be promoted, I think you are right - very poor value :p

herts_palace
18-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Well if you compare it with 40/1 to be promoted, I think you are right - very poor value :p

40/1 is starting to look tempting although I am after a slightly better price. You can currently get 3.1 on top half on Betfair so slightly better but still nowhere good enough

GodstoneEagle
18-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Also on Hernandez @ 11, Rooney @ 11 (prices gone), Bent @ 15, RVP @ 13 (prices still there) for next year, all ew. By backing all 3 at those prices I'm effectively getting 2.66 that Hernandez/Rooney/Bent/RVP/Suarez are Top Goalscorer which seems a decent price to me.

In more esoteric stuff I'm on Xamax to win the Swiss League @ 100 thanks to GE's tip up, PSG to win Ligue @ 6 (sadly didn't get on the bandwagon early on but was still value I think) and Hoffenheim to win Bundesliga @ 180.
Xamax lost first game to Luzern who are a good side, but looked a bit like strangers. New defender got sent off on debut, and they have a tough game next vs Basel but this price will be coming in for sure.

PSG is a corker I think, Taarabt is a lot of cash but they don't need to worry about pennies. At least 2 or 3 top players yet to arrive.

Hoffenheim is an interesting one, I think that's a tradeable price but they don't have a shot of winning it.

milky87
18-07-2011, 10:52 PM
e/w Lucky 15

Man C to win Prem
Palace to win Championship
Scunthorpe to win League 1
Swindon to win League 2

Also have 5 e/w on Palace to win the league at 100/1 and have currently 12 on Palace to get promoted at 40/1 (I will continue to top this up)

SpikeyMatt
18-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I'll be backing Man City, Middlesbrough, Preston and Crawley.

BW_Palace
18-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Ok fair enough but how can you price a market when you don't know how many runners in it and who they all are?

Yes you do. You can essentially disregard 75% of all players - the price that John Terry is TGS for example is infinitely long.

Had a quick look at the CCC...not as keen on Palace now...probably about the correct price (120 atm to Win) and of course there's the 'don't really GAF about winning money if Palace win the league' aspect.

Hoffenheim is an interesting one, I think that's a tradeable price but they don't have a shot of winning it.

I would be laying it off now to free up the cash but I have other positions on the market. I don't believe they will will it - it is a 180 shot after all - but I still think it's value...they're probably in for winning it once a century or so!

herts_palace
18-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Yes you do. You can essentially disregard 75% of all players - the price that John Terry is TGS for example is infinitely long.

I was thinking more of those yet to join a Premiership club.

GodstoneEagle
18-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Germany: I'd be opposing Dortmund. Despite last season, 45 on Hamburg is big. I'd also be on Schalke at 30.

In Italy I'm doing a lot of work on Lazio and Napoli at the moment who have both bought well. No way that Lazio should be near 50

Finbar
18-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Mine so far

QPR to get Relegated - 15/8 - Coral

That looks like a massive price...

BW_Palace
18-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Germany: I'd be opposing Dortmund. Despite last season, 45 on Hamburg is big. I'd also be on Schalke at 30.

In Italy I'm doing a lot of work on Lazio and Napoli at the moment who have both bought well. No way that Lazio should be near 50

Not convinced by Lazio's signings at all - Klose (who was out of favour at Bayern and domestically has always been average), Cisse (not a good player imo, technically inept), Lulic (unproven), Cana (good), Konko (alright but not a massive improvement over what they had), Stankevicius (see Konko). Just seems they've signed a bunch of 'merely alright' players rather than ones which will take them to the next level.

Any particular reason? Sahin has left but that's obv. taken into account to some extent by the price and they've got Kagawa back who was probably their player of the season till he got injured halfway through. Haven't taken the Hamburg win but backed some of them to be Top 4 @ 7 - bearish on them overall mind as they seem to be very average nowadays with an unproven (who didn't inspire anyone) manager in Oenning.

I was thinking more of those yet to join a Premiership club.

Because players in the market have such a small individual chance of winning it makes little difference, especially when you're backing with a significant margin of safety as well.

herts_palace
19-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Because players in the market have such a small individual chance of winning it makes little difference, especially when you're backing with a significant margin of safety as well.

Oh well good luck with that. I generally don't focus on the premiership for long term bets as Bookmakers have more knowledge on it and it is more difficult to find an angle. I prefer to concentrate on the lower leagues and more specifically the Championship. If you can price the goalscorer market better than a bookmaker then you are much more knowledgeable than me. I know you have ignored a lot of players but I thought[perhaps mistakenly] that their margins on this sort of market were so much greater. Especially when you see each new entrant gets a price and the others do not get adjusted.

What I didn't realise until I checked the stats of previous winners is how dominated the TGS market has been by the top4 clubs. I knew it wasn't like the Championship TGS market where it is a bettors nightmare or a layers dream, but it thought it had more unpredictability than I thought. So you may be right. Although don't forget Kevin Phillips or even AJ [Yes I know he came 2nd so doesn't really count but he may have been one you would have excluded that year]

One more aspect though. If you are going to cover your bets then you could be laying out a lot of money that will be tied up with the bookies until May. In the meantime this money won't be working for you. I presume your returns are good enough to make that viable?

Louis
19-07-2011, 10:18 AM
If you can price the goalscorer market better than a bookmaker then you are much more knowledgeable than me.
Surely it's "the market" (the punters) that prices odds really, not bookmakers? So the trick is not being better than the bookies, but being better than the average punter.

herts_palace
19-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Just seen what I think is a very good bet. Coral offer Group bets over the season and have priced up the bottom ranked teams in Group D as follows. All we need to do is to finish ahead of this lot.

Peterborough 7/2
Barnsley 4/1
Coventry 4/1
Crystal Palace 9/2
Watford 9/2
Doncaster 5/1

Don't you think we are good at 9/2 and why are P'Boro favourites?

My prices

Palace 3/1, Doncaster 4/1, Barnsley 9/2, Watford 9/2, Peterborough 5/1 and Coventry 7/1. Just noticed my margins are smaller but you get the drift.

foxinthebox
19-07-2011, 02:16 PM
See above

no sentiment with southend but agree its a risk. The price got me. I like Paul Sturrock. he seemed to be getting something going there end of last season and i think Barry Corr will score plenty

Prefer Kane Ferdinand to stay if hes a good as they are saying but 7-1 just for promotion in a very open league seemed pretty good

i think crawley will likely go up, but where is the fun in 8/13 over a whole season.

herts_palace
19-07-2011, 02:25 PM
no sentiment with southend but agree its a risk. The price got me. I like Paul Sturrock. he seemed to be getting something going there end of last season and i think Barry Corr will score plenty

Prefer Kane Ferdinand to stay if hes a good as they are saying but 7-1 just for promotion in a very open league seemed pretty good

i think crawley will likely go up, but where is the fun in 8/13 over a whole season.

I think you do need to look at Manager's when you assess whether teams will go up so I can't say at present that Southend is a bad bet.

8/13 is ridiculously short but a good price if you think it should be 1/2. Not sure what the price should be at the moment.

foxinthebox
19-07-2011, 02:32 PM
I think you do need to look at Manager's when you assess whether teams will go up so I can't say at present that Southend is a bad bet.

8/13 is ridiculously short but a good price if you think it should be 1/2. Not sure what the price should be at the moment.

agree on if it should be 1/2, but i dont have the funds to make it worth my while and would rather back a couple 5/2 shots. I like a quick return if i am laying out big sums, and at 1/2 id rather back say Big Bucks win the World Hurdle or Chelsea away to QPR

herts_palace
19-07-2011, 02:35 PM
agree on if it should be 1/2, but i dont have the funds to make it worth my while and would rather back a couple 5/2 shots. I like a quick return if i am laying out big sums, and at 1/2 id rather back say Big Bucks win the World Hurdle or Chelsea away to QPR

Agreed it would tie up money for a long while.

delboy01
19-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Just seen what I think is a very good bet. Coral offer Group bets over the season and have priced up the bottom ranked teams in Group D as follows. All we need to do is to finish ahead of this lot.

Peterborough 7/2
Barnsley 4/1
Coventry 4/1
Crystal Palace 9/2
Watford 9/2
Doncaster 5/1

My prices

Palace 3/1, Doncaster 4/1, Barnsley 9/2, Watford 9/2, Peterborough 5/1 and Coventry 7/1. Just noticed my margins are smaller but you get the drift.

Already had a score on this!! :lux:

tbooker
19-07-2011, 02:51 PM
I find betting on the ryman league is worthwhile.
anyone else try their luck on this market?

foxinthebox
19-07-2011, 02:57 PM
I find betting on the ryman league is worthwhile.
anyone else try their luck on this market?

matches
champions
relegation

??

not really had a go on non league other than when i had a friend who played in the zamaretto and he seemed to get wind of stuff,
i.e opposition were playing a 16 yr old keeper once for one reason or another. things like that. can be some decent opportunities

BW_Palace
19-07-2011, 03:15 PM
If you can price the goalscorer market better than a bookmaker then you are much more knowledgeable than me. I know you have ignored a lot of players but I thought[perhaps mistakenly] that their margins on this sort of market were so much greater. Especially when you see each new entrant gets a price and the others do not get adjusted.

One more aspect though. If you are going to cover your bets then you could be laying out a lot of money that will be tied up with the bookies until May. In the meantime this money won't be working for you. I presume your returns are good enough to make that viable?

Yes, the bookmaker overround is HUGE on these markets but it's mainly because of the long-shots (players being 66/1 when they should be 1000/1 for example). There's less of an issue at shorter odds where there's likely to be more value.

but it thought it had more unpredictability than I thought. So you may be right. Although don't forget Kevin Phillips or even AJ [Yes I know he came 2nd so doesn't really count but he may have been one you would have excluded that year]

Predictability or not is a non-issue. I'm not trying to 'predict' anything, I'm just trying to assign probabilities to each player. So I can't foresee a SKP/AJ but I can say that they have X% of winning next year.

All my long-term staking is with money which would otherwise just be sitting in a savings account collecting 3%/yr. The other option is of course investing in the stock market or something where I'd expect 7%/yr or so (via indices) - if I feel I have a greater edge than that in these long-terms, adjusted for risk, it's still worthwhile. fwiw, I think for 'average punter', who may not have a large betting bankroll, antepost bets are terrible from a money-winning perspective - simply because, as you say, you tie up money. So your opportunity cost is not only from savings/investments but from potentially profitable bets they can now not make throughout the season (assuming that they find these!)

tbooker
19-07-2011, 03:20 PM
matches in general - there have been some ridiculous odds displayed from skybet in the past but believe they are tightening this up and may not even take bets on this this season.

if you can find a bookie - Lowestoft must be favs along with Lewes also believe Carshalton have a massive budget this season but they have some off the field probs.

cstickner
19-07-2011, 03:30 PM
see there is no mention of fleetwood in the conference. Looking to do them in doubles upwards with man u leicester and crawley.

CrawleyEagle
19-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Crawley are going up again. Free money for anyone who takes a punt.

foxinthebox
19-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Crawley are going up again. Free money for anyone who takes a punt.

really?
with Steve Evans in charge? A few bungs uncovered and a points deduction will see them drop!

I fully expect them to do the business but its an awfully short price.

Notts County are the only favourites in the last 11 seaosns to win the league. though 6 of the last 11 favourites have been promoted, all automatically

Funk Butter
19-07-2011, 05:05 PM
My buddy and I like making crazy bets on promotion and relegation based solely on the first letter of the team name. Last season, I had 3 "W" teams to go down and he had 3 "B" teams to go down. In the second half of the last weekend, I looked in good shape, but got done in by that Wolves goal and had to pay his bar tab cause 2 "B"s hit. This season I still have 3 "W" teams going down from the PL and have 3 "B" teams coming up from LC.

Premier League Relegated:
Scott (Stoke @ 11.0, Sunderland @ 13.0, Swansea @ 1.57) - Best treble @ 224.51
CDWH (West Brom @ 5.0, Wigan @ 3.0, Wolves @ 3.75) - Best treble is a short 52.5

LC Relegated:
Scott (Brighton @ 15.0, Bristol City @ 21.0, Barnsley @ 7.0) - Best treble @ 1764.0 :p

LC Promoted:
CDWH (Burnley @ 7.0, Birmingham @ 5.0, Blackpool @ 7.5) - Best treble @ 220.5

herts_palace
19-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Predictability or not is a non-issue. I'm not trying to 'predict' anything, I'm just trying to assign probabilities to each player. So I can't foresee a SKP/AJ but I can say that they have X% of winning next year.

Ok so you're not trying to predict but you also said you would ignore 75% of the field. From that I would suggest you're ignoring any GS who is likely to be 100/1 true odds or greater - perhaps even 66/1. Wouldn't these have been AJ's odds?- even from you?

cantspell
20-07-2011, 08:28 AM

Peterborough 7/2
Barnsley 4/1
Coventry 4/1
Crystal Palace 9/2
Watford 9/2
Doncaster 5/1

My prices

One thing I have noticed is the prices for this group of winning the Championshion on betfair and betdaq. From this group, we are priced at 120; the closest then is Peterborough/Coventry best price 180. On that basis, you would expect us to be the favourites

herts_palace
20-07-2011, 12:59 PM
One thing I have noticed is the prices for this group of winning the Championshion on betfair and betdaq. From this group, we are priced at 120; the closest then is Peterborough/Coventry best price 180. On that basis, you would expect us to be the favourites

You make a good point even though they are not the same they are clearly linked. What I would say is that it doesn't take much money to alter those odds on there so don't read too much into it, especially as I've set some of the odds!

BW_Palace
20-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Ok so you're not trying to predict but you also said you would ignore 75% of the field. From that I would suggest you're ignoring any GS who is likely to be 100/1 true odds or greater - perhaps even 66/1. Wouldn't these have been AJ's odds?- even from you?

I imagine AJ's true price back then would have been about 150/1. I am pricing up basically any striker and some midfielders (at the big clubs) up to about 1000/1. My book adds up to 100% and adding players like Damien Duff etc makes negligible difference.

Finbar
20-07-2011, 01:56 PM
You're laying at 1000.0? Blimey impressive bank! And that's not being cynical or not believing you are by the way, just impressed!

The 1000.0 layers must make a fortune, every event almost every runner is matched at 1000.0 and you only hear of one winning once or twice a year, well I do anyway

herts_palace
20-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I imagine AJ's true price back then would have been about 150/1. I am pricing up basically any striker and some midfielders (at the big clubs) up to about 1000/1. My book adds up to 100% and adding players like Damien Duff etc makes negligible difference.

Sorry I don't mean to be thick but you are pricing all strikers and high scoring midfielders and then looking for value against your book. Are the 75% you exclude a result of the poor value [i.e you have found 25% that are value which seems astonishingly high] or are they excluded before that? If the latter then you would have excluded AJ back in 2004-2005.

BW_Palace
20-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Sorry I don't mean to be thick but you are pricing all strikers and high scoring midfielders and then looking for value against your book. Are the 75% you exclude a result of the poor value [i.e you have found 25% that are value which seems astonishingly high] or are they excluded before that? If the latter then you would have excluded AJ back in 2004-2005.

75% are excluded because their chances of winning are negligible so me pricing them or not is immaterial - if I know the price of Shaun Derry winning is 9999999999999999999999999/1 then I don't need to price him up properly and include him in the book. AJ would have been included (e.g. I've included Grant Holt, Scott Sinclair, Adel Taarabt this year).

herts_palace
20-07-2011, 05:22 PM
75% are excluded because their chances of winning are negligible so me pricing them or not is immaterial - if I know the price of Shaun Derry winning is 9999999999999999999999999/1 then I don't need to price him up properly and include him in the book. AJ would have been included (e.g. I've included Grant Holt, Scott Sinclair, Adel Taarabt this year).

Ok - originally I thought you meant 75% of those that were priced up by bookmakers.

BW_Palace
24-07-2011, 11:26 PM

Peterborough 7/2
Barnsley 4/1
Coventry 4/1
Crystal Palace 9/2
Watford 9/2
Doncaster 5/1

My prices

Had a look at this, Palace does look good...make it 7/2ish.

GodstoneEagle
24-07-2011, 11:55 PM
But it's not a big price for tieing your money down for so long (tying?)

BW_Palace
25-07-2011, 02:53 AM
It's ~22% EV. Not about to get that in a savings account!

kayjay
25-07-2011, 04:57 AM
It's ~22% EV. Not about to get that in a savings account!Not about to get that when Watford score 3 on the last day to win the group by goal difference. At least, that's what would happen if I backed Palace :rolleyes:

foxinthebox
25-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Not about to get that when Watford score 3 on the last day to win the group by goal difference. At least, that's what would happen if I backed Palace :rolleyes:

just back watford last day of the season then as well

herts_palace
25-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Had a look at this, Palace does look good...make it 7/2ish.

Yes I didn't do a 100% book so 7/2 sounds about right to me.

herts_palace
25-07-2011, 06:28 PM
You're laying at 1000.0? Blimey impressive bank! And that's not being cynical or not believing you are by the way, just impressed!

The 1000.0 layers must make a fortune, every event almost every runner is matched at 1000.0 and you only hear of one winning once or twice a year, well I do anyway

Was that in response to my post?

BW_Palace
03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
For today only (I think) Hills are best price on every English league winner (inc 95% book on Prem market - although given that you're tying up money for so long it's not a good arb).

GodstoneEagle
03-08-2011, 01:17 PM
For today only (I think) Hills are best price on every English league winner (inc 95% book on Prem market - although given that you're tying up money for so long it's not a good arb).
It's related to the fact the RP's big season preview is out as they're affiliated.