PDA

View Full Version : Warnock glad to be out of Carling Cup

stinky
24-08-2011, 09:12 AM
QPR manager Neil Warnock says he is glad to be out of the Carling Cup following their 2-0 home defeat to League One Rochdale.

Rangers were one of four Premier League sides to lose to lower-league opposition on Tuesday.

"I don't think people care about the competition," said Warnock, noting the crowd of 4,775 at Loftus Road.

When asked if he was pleased to be out of the competition he replied: "Yes. They should revamp the cup."

full story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14643771.stm

Barbara4003
24-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Idiot.

Warnock, not Stinky, obviously.

stinky
24-08-2011, 09:14 AM
clearly

GreatGonzo
24-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Thats funny, he cared about it 2 seasons ago, he was desperate for it 2 years ago and it was all he actually cared about 2 years ago.

TW4T!!!!!!!!!

JAS78
24-08-2011, 09:16 AM
considering they only got 15,000 in the PL

5,000 not a bad turn out

kolinkins
24-08-2011, 09:17 AM
For small squads, it is a complete waste of time. I couldn't care less whether we went through or not last night.

stinky
24-08-2011, 09:18 AM
For small squads, it is a complete waste of time. I couldn't care less whether we went through or not last night.

extra revenue?

Brett
24-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Thats funny, he cared about it 2 seasons ago, he was desperate for it 2 years ago and it was all he actually cared about 2 years ago.

TW4T!!!!!!!!!

What?

GreatGonzo
24-08-2011, 09:22 AM
extra revenue?

By the time you have taken out the costs of putting it on, VAT, stewarding, ticketing, police, St johns, lighting etc etc and then split the proceeds there is basically nothing there. what did Palace make in revenue from last night?

8k x average 10 max. so 80k, so 66.5 after the tax man has been paid, take off costs, and you are probably splitting a pot of no much over 50k and i think it gets split 3 ways. 15-20k from last night is not much. For QPR it would be less and with their annual revenue probably well over 50m it is insignificant.

For League 2 clubs though it makes a lot more difference.

GreatGonzo
24-08-2011, 09:23 AM
What?

2 years ago, he focussed on the games against Wolves and Villa to the detriment of our league form, waiting to jump ship as soon as we were knocked out and his shot at Wembley glory was over.

His vanity almost relegated us and had we beaten Villa i believe he would have stayed and we would have gone down.

philsick
24-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Why does anyone take any notice of what that lying **** says anyway.

kolinkins
24-08-2011, 09:25 AM
What?

I think the poor boy is getting confused with the FA Cup.

pete eagle
24-08-2011, 09:26 AM
2 years ago, he focussed on the games against Wolves and Villa to the detriment of our league form, waiting to jump ship as soon as we were knocked out and his shot at Wembley glory was over.

His vanity almost relegated us and had we beaten Villa i believe he would have stayed and we would have gone down.

Wrong cup?

kolinkins
Why does anyone take any notice of what that lying **** says anyway.

Bit harsh on Gonzo.

stinky
By the time you have taken out the costs of putting it on, VAT, stewarding, ticketing, police, St johns, lighting etc etc and then split the proceeds there is basically nothing there. what did Palace make in revenue from last night?

8k x average 10 max. so 80k, so 66.5 after the tax man has been paid, take off costs, and you are probably splitting a pot of no much over 50k and i think it gets split 3 ways. 15-20k from last night is not much. For QPR it would be less and with their annual revenue probably well over 50m it is insignificant.

I mean the draw of a Premier League club in the next round, with 3 ex-Palace players.

The gate should be increased for that, surely.

pete eagle
24-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Birmingham won it last year, shows that clubs outside the big 4 can win it and get into Europe. Good example for those who don't take it seriously.

GreatGonzo
24-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Wrong cup?

Fair point. I am sure he will say the same going out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup too though.

Did he not utter the immortal managerial bullshit about concentrating on the league?

I hate Colin!

GreatGonzo
24-08-2011, 09:31 AM
I mean the draw of a Premier League club in the next round, with 3 ex-Palace players.

The gate should be increased for that, surely.

Possibly but how many will Wigan bring? We will have to have 1750 more Palace fans just to maintain last nights attendance and there is no guarantee that Moses Watson and Boyce will play.

I doubt the crowd will be much up on last night when Wigan came, Premier League maybe but a crowd puller? Take out the ex-Palace and i think it would be a lower gate, those 3 may just mean a slight increase.

I suspect what may swell the crowd more for Wigan is if we get a very good draw in the next round, and people may buy into the competition a bit more.

Panther
24-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Ex-Palace or not it's still "only" Wigan (no disrespect intended).

(Gonzo beat me to it!)

rednblue eagle
24-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Obviously they were not going to make a massive amount on yesterdays game but what about a couple of years back when we played Man City. Decent crowd and added TV revenue would have bought a lot more 's in.

If Palace go on to beat Wigan and draw Man Utd away that could easily make us a couple of hundred thousand. Which in championship terms could get you a decent player.

I personally think this cup is important, get to play the younger players in the early round and earn some extra money. Even if we only made 15k yesterday its 15K more than we had to start with.

The people saying this cup is shit bla bla bla will be the first to buy tickets if we drew one of the top premiership teams.

stinky
24-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Balls to all this.

I'm excited about seeing us play a Prem team. It's not like Wigan are a newly promoted club.

I'll be there, spending my money, drinking Palace Ale, hoping to see us knock out a Premier League club, and hopefully giving Watson, Boyce and Moses a good reception (if they're there).

AndyStreet
24-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Possibly but how many will Wigan bring? We will have to have 1750 more Palace fans just to maintain last nights attendance and there is no guarantee that Moses Watson and Boyce will play.

I doubt the crowd will be much up on last night when Wigan came, Premier League maybe but a crowd puller? Take out the ex-Palace and i think it would be a lower gate, those 3 may just mean a slight increase.

I suspect what may swell the crowd more for Wigan is if we get a very good draw in the next round, and people may buy into the competition a bit more.
Can you pluck some arbitrary figures from the air for the Wigan tie too please? If you could include the VAT considerations for programmes (which are zero-rated) and gate receipts (standard rated), and some indications of running costs, in your workings that would be great.

GreatGonzo
24-08-2011, 09:37 AM
You missed out - winning, knowing we have Arsenal away in the next round (Emirates only ground in top 2 divisions i have not been to/going to)

RAB
24-08-2011, 09:40 AM
If the manager says he doesn't care then presumably he won't expect his players to care either. Well in that case why expect supporters to give up time and spend their money in turning up?

QPR have a new owner. Perhaps he should refund every paying customer (including away fans) because it is open to question whether they were cheated by the home team and their manager.

Warnock is always available to turn up on BBC 5 Live for an instant quote. Unless he's pensioned off before the season ends, no doubt we'll look forward to him saying that he's glad QPR have been relegated to a level to which they and he are more suited.

In supporting Palace over many years I have NEVER not cared if we lost a match. I would be disgusted if we had a manager who said he was glad/relieved that the team had lost or that he couldn't care less.

Thankfully we at Palace have a manager who is every bit as passionate as most of the fans.

I was at Selhurst and it was very clear last night DF cared and so did all the players who wore the shirt.

NateEagle
24-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Balls to all this.

I'm excited about seeing us play a Prem team. It's not like Wigan are a newly promoted club.

I'll be there, spending my money, drinking Palace Ale, hoping to see us knock out a Premier League club, and hopefully giving Watson, Boyce and Moses a good reception (if they're there).

Well said, I'm chuffed we won last night cos I'm hoping to get to the wigan game and see us turn on the underdog-style like we did against Villa and Wolves!

Plus I'd love to see Moses, Watson and Boyce as I've missed them :love: (as long as they have stinkers)

cpfcmazz
24-08-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm not particularly bothered about the cup as such, more about keeping the winning mentality going and the positive attitude around the squad which carries over into the league, which is why I was happy we won last night

stinky
24-08-2011, 09:48 AM
yes, there's that also.

Keep the winning mentality going

Zohar Returns
24-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Birmingham won it last year, shows that clubs outside the big 4 can win it and get into Europe. Good example for those who don't take it seriously.

Look what happened to them because of their good cup run! ;)

stinky
24-08-2011, 09:52 AM
I couldn't care less whether we went through or not last night.

Did you not say, the other day, that it might be good to keep the winning momentum going, and mentioned losing in the cup when PT was in charge (and thus losing the winning momentum)?

ebyeeckeagle
24-08-2011, 09:54 AM
The League Cup does need something to set it apart from the FA Cup (which has it's own problems).

A single marketing idea - perhaps clubs signing up to Kids a Quid for every round up to the semi. All games played on the same single midweek evening. Lower leagues team always seeded at home. Have the comp finsihed and the final at Christmas.

Just something. Which won't happen because of inertia, Champions League, short term gain etc. And the League Cup (and soon after the FA Cup) will just continue to wither away.

Warnock is an absolute wanker and bottle job of course.

David of Kent
24-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Honestly, I don't think there's a place for the League Cup any longer since even a lot of Championship clubs (and lower) field experimental teams till the very later stages.

Yes I want any extra revenue we can make from it (obviously), but I wouldn't want that to be at the expense of any league progress.

It's kind of an unromantic notion really, maybe if they rejigged it and you played only local teams in a group at these stages so you could have a fair few derbies, cut back on travel etc, but honestly I wouldn't be bothered if the competition died. 46 league games, FA Cup, all the other football we get to see thesedays, it's already overloaded.

Brett
24-08-2011, 09:58 AM
I think the poor boy is getting confused with the FA Cup.

What, the football expert got something wrong?

Gordon3
24-08-2011, 09:59 AM
It doesen't need revamping, what the League Cup needs is to be respected by players, management and clubs. I know we made changes to our squad last night but I really don't see why clubs don't take it seriously when there can be so much riding on the matches such as much needed revenue. Revenue that we desperatly needed when we was in admin a couple of years ago, without it we could of been in a much worse position.
QPR should be docked points or at least get a hefty fine, same with Norwich saying that the cup means nothing and that their Premier League status means more, it makes a mockery of the competition!

AJ
24-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Thanks to Uncle Ron the proceeds from the LC are split more like 80% for the clubs and 20% for the league. On top of that each club get's a slice from the competition after all the games are played based on how far they get. You also have to consider that there is a chance, albeit a very small chance that the Wigan game could end up on TV and that would bring in a far amount of money.

GreatGonzo
24-08-2011, 10:02 AM
It doesen't need revamping, what the League Cup needs is to be respected by players, management and clubs. I know we made changes to our squad last night but I really don't see why clubs don't take it seriously when there can be so much riding on the matches such as much needed revenue. Revenue that we desperatly needed when we was in admin a couple of years ago, without it we could of been in a much worse position.
QPR should be docked points or at least get a hefty fine, same with Norwich saying that the cup means nothing and that their Premier League status means more, it makes a mockery of the competition!

Simple answer is to make the League Cup for the Football League teams. Premiership sides don't want to take it seriously then fine, and it helps avoid all that fixture congestion Fergie goes on about.

JPT for the bottom 2 divisions, League Cup for all 3 football League divisions and FA Cup for everyone.

Seems fair.

kolinkins
24-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Did you not say, the other day, that it might be good to keep the winning momentum going, and mentioned losing in the cup when PT was in charge (and thus losing the winning momentum)?

Yes I did and it was a concern at the time.

But in isolation, I don't care about the CC.

David of Kent
24-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Yes it does need revamping if you want it to be a success. No good stomping your feet at clubs and ordering them to respect it or they'll be fined. Prem League have already withdrawn the ruling about forcing teams to field their strongest sides as it's a completely unenforceable ruling. As for "much needed revenue", Prem clubs naturally don't see it that way given the tiny amounts the League Cup yields. Yes we could say it's revenue we could do with, but not all clubs are going to see it that way. And most will say it's not worth the risk if it's going to jeopardise what they can do in the league. Even most Championship clubs will look it at that way as getting in the play offs and possibiliity of the millions from the Prem is their priority.

Come up with genuine ideas to make it more interesting or worthwhile to clubs or let it die since, in it's current form, it's worthless for most

The Gerry Queen
24-08-2011, 10:05 AM
QPR manager Neil Warnock says he is glad to be out of the Carling Cup following their 2-0 home defeat to League One Rochdale.

Rangers were one of four Premier League sides to lose to lower-league opposition on Tuesday.

"I don't think people care about the competition," said Warnock, noting the crowd of 4,775 at Loftus Road.

When asked if he was pleased to be out of the competition he replied: "Yes. They should revamp the cup."

Yeah Right :rolleyes: I bet he didn't fancy a cup run, playing at Wembley and then a game or two in Europe next season when, like Brum, they will be back in the Championship. What a load of bull he talks sometimes !

AJ
24-08-2011, 10:05 AM

Your last line sums it up and it's true. With so much money involved in staying in the prem, both the FA and LC have become irrelevant to teams in the top division. One way to solve it would be to have the TV money decided on a combination of cups and league position, with the possibility that a highly placed Championship team that does well in the cup competitions can earn as much as a lowly placed Prem team that loses in the first rounds of both cup.

stinky
24-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Basically, if QPR had won last night he'd have been saying how he thinks the CC is important for teams like his.

He's just a bitter, twisted wanker.

GreatGonzo
24-08-2011, 10:09 AM
You also have to consider that there is a chance, albeit a very small chance that the Wigan game could end up on TV and that would bring in a far amount of money.

Champions League Group stages start the night we play Wigan so no chance SKY will televise our game and think only they have the rights until teh semi final stage.

brighton_eagle
24-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm not particularly bothered about the cup as such, more about keeping the winning mentality going and the positive attitude around the squad which carries over into the league, which is why I was happy we won last night

Exactly.

I never want our players to be happy with losing.

foxinthebox
24-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Simple answer is to make the League Cup for the Football League teams. Premiership sides don't want to take it seriously then fine, and it helps avoid all that fixture congestion Fergie goes on about.

JPT for the bottom 2 divisions, League Cup for all 3 football League divisions and FA Cup for everyone.

Seems fair.

not really, Look at the teams that have been in the final. they clearly do want to win it regardless of what people think. its only when they go out they say they wernt bothered. It should be left as it is. Despite Sunderland going out last night Steve Bruce said before the game he wanted to win this cup. It is a way into europe and the only trophy they may realistically win. The FA Cup other than being won by Pompey in 2008 has been won by a top five side every year since 1997/98

LEAGUE CUP FINALS SINCE 2003
2003 Liverpool 20 Manchester United Millennium Stadium
2004 Middlesbrough 21 Bolton Wanderers Millennium Stadium
2005 Chelsea 32 Liverpool Millennium Stadium
2006 Manchester United 40 Wigan Athletic Millennium Stadium
2007 Chelsea 21 Arsenal Millennium Stadium
2008 Tottenham Hotspur 21 Chelsea Wembley Stadium
2009 Manchester United 00 *[C] Tottenham Hotspur Wembley
2010 Manchester United 21 Aston Villa Wembley
2011 Birmingham City 21 Arsenal Wembley

Making it Championship -League Two would devalue it further and what championship club is going to want to win it at the expense of promotion if there are no prem teams in it? I wouldnt. Would be worth winning if we had beaten some prem teams along the way, not if we only had to beat teams in our own league

Vince Hilaire's Afro
24-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Even if clubs rest their best players for these games, it gives the reserve players a chance to stake their claim for a place in the first team. If Warnock's second string can't offer him more than that for the rest of the season, he'd better hope that his already inadequate first team doesn't pick up too many injuries.

Ralph
24-08-2011, 11:40 AM
I think people are missing the point of his comments.

If you were one of the 5,000 that did turn up and pay to watch the game would you not be thoroughly insulted by your managers comments after a humiliating defeat at home. What a total bell end.

He clearly didnt care about the game, hadnt prepared his team properly and has admitted to ripping off his own fans.

Grounds for a sacking IMO.

David of Kent
24-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Grounds for a sacking....don't be so silly

Grounds for an at least partial refund......definitely

Celestial Empire
24-08-2011, 12:05 PM

Seems fair.

That's not a bad idea, but would the winner still get a Europe place at the expense of a Prem team ? I think we know the answer to that.:rolleyes:

Another idea might be to make it a competition for U25 players.
Or only English players, that would be fun.;)

Vince Hilaire's Afro
24-08-2011, 12:55 PM
I think people are missing the point of his comments.

If you were one of the 5,000 that did turn up and pay to watch the game would you not be thoroughly insulted by your managers comments after a humiliating defeat at home. What a total bell end.

He clearly didnt care about the game, hadnt prepared his team properly and has admitted to ripping off his own fans.

Grounds for a sacking IMO.
I thought that point was made at the beginning of the thread.

But it's not uncommon for managers to disregard the punters stoking up cash for certain games that they see as unimportant. Even in the Premier League, Mick McCarthy effectively threw the Man Utd away game to protect his players for relegation scraps further down the line.

In the case of the cup games, most managers tend to use them for giving fringe squad players a run out, or players returning to fitness etc. I think most of the time, they still hope that they've put enough out there to actually win the game though.

In the QPR game, I think the most telling fact was that Taraabt was playing. This suggests to me that Warnock thought Taraabt with any old bunch around him would have enough to see off Rochdale. But after another humiliating home defeat, what's he going to say? "Yes, I'm at a loss, because we were really going for it. I'm more than a little worried that our squad, that is supposed to be competing in the Premier League, doesn't have enough strength in depth to see off a League 1 side playing away from home".

The comments from Warnock, as ever, have everything to do with spin. He'll say anything to deflect away from the point that he wasn't good enough, and his team weren't good enough. He wanted to win that game, and anything he says to the contrary is bollocks.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
24-08-2011, 01:00 PM
That's not a bad idea, but would the winner still get a Europe place at the expense of a Prem team ? I think we know the answer to that.:rolleyes:

Another idea might be to make it a competition for U25 players.
Or only English players, that would be fun.;)
Even though most of the Premiership clubs only send reserve teams to play the minnows, I think they are still the only teams that really excite people in the cup draw. Take them all out, and what excitement is left?

I think if most people were honest, even with our own club we're hoping to draw Man Utd, Liverpool etc. It's what the cup has always been about.

I don't think many teams in League 1 or 2 woud be particularly excited about drawing Palace in the cup. Or Brighton. Etc. Ironically, the only teams who would probably carry that kind of excitement would be the West Hams and Newcastles traditionally on a temporary sabbatical from the promised land.

It's an idea I like in principle, though. But I just don't know if it has commercial viability.

ElwissAtMemphis
24-08-2011, 01:08 PM
The obvious way to reinvigorate the League Cup would be to merge it with the Scottish equivalent and add a few Irish teams to make a British Cup. Even rubbish teams like Ayr, Partick or Falkirk would have grabbed my attention far more than an English League 1 or 2 side.

Award a Champion's League place to the winners and I think you'd have a great tournament. Apart from anything else, shouldn't fans want to see their team winning trophies more than 'concentrating on the league' which is a just euphemism for maximizing revenue. It's become ALL about money; understandable from managers and chairmen. Utterly depressing when you hear fans talking like that though.

mexicaneagle
24-08-2011, 01:08 PM
I thought that point was made at the beginning of the thread.

But it's not uncommon for managers to disregard the punters stoking up cash for certain games that they see as unimportant. Even in the Premier League, Mick McCarthy effectively threw the Man Utd away game to protect his players for relegation scraps further down the line.

In the case of the cup games, most managers tend to use them for giving fringe squad players a run out, or players returning to fitness etc. I think most of the time, they still hope that they've put enough out there to actually win the game though.

In the QPR game, I think the most telling fact was that Taraabt was playing. This suggests to me that Warnock thought Taraabt with any old bunch around him would have enough to see off Rochdale. But after another humiliating home defeat, what's he going to say? "Yes, I'm at a loss, because we were really going for it. I'm more than a little worried that our squad, that is supposed to be competing in the Premier League, doesn't have enough strength in depth to see off a League 1 side playing away from home".

The comments from Warnock, as ever, have everything to do with spin. He'll say anything to deflect away from the point that he wasn't good enough, and his team weren't good enough. He wanted to win that game, and anything he says to the contrary is bollocks.

Agree.

David of Kent
24-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I'd say the more obvious reason that Taraabt played was that the lazy fecker looks about a stone overweight!

sheepy
24-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Problem is, the Europe they got into isn't worth a damn (when Millwall got in they actually lost money IIRC).

If ever there was a competition that needed to be revamped it's the Europa cup.

Utterly, utterly meaningless until you get to semis / final.

Chocky
24-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Problem is, the Europe they got into isn't worth a damn (when Millwall got in they actually lost money IIRC).

If ever there was a competition that needed to be revamped it's the Europa cup.

Utterly, utterly meaningless until you get to semis / final.

And some teams like Fulham have already played about 74 games each in the competition so far.

Gooders
24-08-2011, 01:30 PM

You see here's the problem in a nutshell - a lengthy, analytical post about...."money", "costs", "revenue", "costs", etc.

How about trying to win a football match and progress in one of the only 3 competitions you're entered for?

Warnock wouldn't have had this attitude a few years ago - sign of the (crappy) times I'm afraid.

Mind you, when I saw the result I thought immediately of that YouTube clip from last year with the ranting Pooperhoops fan - "It's ******* Port Vale!" and had a vision of him apoplectic last night as he shouted "it's ******* Roch Dale!"

FraserH
24-08-2011, 01:56 PM
who cares what the fat-northern-bottle-job thinks?

Aaroncpfc
24-08-2011, 02:03 PM
He seemed to take the competition seriously when we played Manchester City.

Neil Warnock lieing out his teeth. Shock.

Ralph
24-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Even in the Premier League, Mick McCarthy effectively threw the Man Utd away game to protect his players for relegation scraps further down the line.

Difference is; McCarthy rested his first team [as DF did last night] but still went out with a game plan to win. He didnt then brag to the press that he wanted to lose it anyway.

Gooders
24-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Difference is; McCarthy rested his first team [as DF did last night] but still went out with a game plan to win. He didnt then brag to the press that he wanted to lose it anyway.

Exactly.

Dougie said last night that yes, he'd made a lot of changes but that he'd put out a team to win the game, which they did.

Whereas Colin was banging on about "not being able to get excited about the 1st round of the cup".

Funny how he played Bothroyd and Taraabt and brought Derry on with 20 minutes left - doesn't sound like the actions of a man who wasn't taking it seriously to me.

The guy is an habitual liar - he wouldn't recognise the truth if it jumped up and smacked him in the chops.

RAB
24-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Apart from how his remarks show contempt for the QPR fans who gave up their time and paid their money, consider the contempt it also shows to the new owner who is paying him a considerable salary.

It is perfectly understandable when managers make wholesale changes to the team, especially in the early cup rounds. However, I don't recall any manager express relief or happiness when their team loses a match. Just imagine how the players chosen must feel. It's bad enough they lost but when their own manager makes public announcements that he really couldn't care less, it is really disgraceful.

A desire to change the League Cup competition is one thing. For a paid employee to express relief that his team has lost is surely wrong.

If the League had any balls, they would charge Warnock for bringing the game in to disrepute.

SpikeyMatt
24-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Mind you, when I saw the result I thought immediately of that YouTube clip from last year with the ranting Pooperhoops fan - "It's ******* Port Vale!" and had a vision of him apoplectic last night as he shouted "it's ******* Roch Dale!"

Oh, go on then...

tTFOncppkJg

kolinkins
24-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Exactly.

Dougie said last night that yes, he'd made a lot of changes but that he'd put out a team to win the game, which they did.

Whereas Colin was banging on about "not being able to get excited about the 1st round of the cup".

Funny how he played Bothroyd and Taraabt and brought Derry on with 20 minutes left - doesn't sound like the actions of a man who wasn't taking it seriously to me.

The guy is an habitual liar - he wouldn't recognise the truth if it jumped up and smacked him in the chops.

Or, he is protecting his team.

Maiden Eagle
24-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm just glad that the Bottle Job tasted a humiliating defeat last night and typical of that knobhead to try to put a positive spin, on it.
If QPR do sign Joey Barton, him and Colin are made for each other:clown: :clown:

Bankerhater1
24-08-2011, 03:58 PM
I like Elwiss' idea above ... make it a mini international cup with the Scots, LofW, and Irish ....

Saturday away trip to Dublin/Edinburgh ... anyone ...!?

dave_who_ru
24-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Midweek cup games is what its all about. The league cup has died due to too many clubs playing second string sides. If they don't want to play don't enter it.

WorthingEagle
24-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Europa League definitely needs a revamp to make winning the Carling Cup worthwhile.

256 teams, straight one-leg knock-out with no seedings, gate receipts split 50/50 - with big money on offer if you reach the last 32, a Champions League qualifying place for the final 8. Only 8 games to win the whole thing.

brooklynlou
24-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Midweek cup games is what its all about. The league cup has died due to too many clubs playing second string sides. If they don't want to play don't enter it.

Thing is there is too much money involved in being relegated as opposed to winning the cup that there is no ROI to actually put out a strong team. The days that everyone went to win the cup, were also the days before promotion/relegation had a 45 million price tag associated, and that extra games were the only way you made extra money..

Gooders
24-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Or, he is protecting his team.

Nope Nav, can't have it.

If he couldn't care less then the one player above all others who wouldn't have been involved yesterday was "legs-of-concrete" Derry.

The fact that he brought him on to try to save the game tells me all I need to know about his motivation.

His post-match interview was the usual lying bollocks, end of.

kolinkins
24-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah but then coming out afterwards and saying that he doesn't care about the competition is a way of protecting the players. Had we lost last night, I'd expect dougie to say the same

Abjekt
24-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Oh, go on then...

tTFOncppkJg

I'd totally forgotten about that video, so good still. PORT. *******. VALE. Hahaha.

:p

gcwhite
24-08-2011, 05:37 PM
who cares what the fat-northern-bottle-job thinks?

Exactly.

Shut it Warnock.

Barbara4003
24-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah but then coming out afterwards and saying that he doesn't care about the competition is a way of protecting the players. Had we lost last night, I'd expect dougie to say the same

Really?

I wouldn't expect Dougie to say anything of the sort. I'd be well miffed if I found out that was his attitude to a game I'd just paid to watch.

I can understand if Dougie came out and said something like "We gave it our best shot but it wasn't good enough. At least we can concentrate on the league now" or words to that effect.

sheepy
24-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Europa League definitely needs a revamp to make winning the Carling Cup worthwhile.

256 teams, straight one-leg knock-out with no seedings, gate receipts split 50/50 - with big money on offer if you reach the last 32, a Champions League qualifying place for the final 8. Only 8 games to win the whole thing.

This, if the end goal was worthwhile then why not?

If it's a pathway, winners of Europa get a straight bye to the group stages? Gotta be better than having 3rd place also rans doing the same.

Something's gotta be done cause when all the football league is treating it as a joke what's the point in continuing it. If the FA can't pressure FIFA into making Europe worthwhile then it should be scrapped.

Make the FA cup auto qualification for champions league and have only one cup competition.

Cups should mean something, cup winners in this country have more earnt the right to play in the champions league than 4th place teams.

little dedders
24-08-2011, 06:11 PM
He has a point. It's good for teams like us because we have a strong academy and fringe players to play against sides like Crawley and then if we luck in and get a top 6 Premiership side we benefit from the gates..

QPR will really struggle in the Premiership and need to concentrate fully on the league and a tie against a top team won't be as special for them. The last thing they need is a top player getting injured against Rochdale.

He shouldn't have said it though..

cockles
24-08-2011, 06:17 PM
It'll be some fun if Betfair report some dodgy trading for that match...

CT_Palace
24-08-2011, 06:33 PM
What a Colin :rolleyes:

Ryan_the_eagle
24-08-2011, 06:35 PM

They couldn't really call it the Europa League then though. And they'd have to spread each round over 4 weeks to make their money from tv! I know your point and that would make it interesting, but even the Europa Lge is all about tv money now.

philsick
24-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Had we lost last night, I'd expect dougie to say the same

No way.Dougie has class.

Gerry from Sussex
24-08-2011, 06:47 PM
In supporting Palace over many years I have NEVER not cared if we lost a match. I would be disgusted if we had a manager who said he was glad/relieved that the team had lost or that he couldn't care less.

Thankfully we at Palace have a manager who is every bit as passionate as most of the fans.

I was at Selhurst and it was very clear last night DF cared and so did all the players who wore the shirt.

Totally agree. I would have been sick if we'd lost last night whether it's Crawley, Man Utd or the local pub team. I want Palace to win every game - no ifs and no buts.

Gerry from Sussex
24-08-2011, 06:49 PM
He has a point. It's good for teams like us because we have a strong academy and fringe players to play against sides like Crawley and then if we luck in and get a top 6 Premiership side we benefit from the gates..

QPR will really struggle in the Premiership and need to concentrate fully on the league and a tie against a top team won't be as special for them. The last thing they need is a top player getting injured against Rochdale.

He shouldn't have said it though..

Don't buy that. Winning builds confidence so is always a good thing. Plus, if he knows they risk relegation, all the more reason to try and do well in a competition they might actually have a chance in.

New LP
24-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I don't remember him being so downbeat about the competition when his Sheffield Utd side knocked us out thanks to a Peschisolido goal that was about 5 yards offside.

And as for revamping the competition, has this not already happened?

New LP
24-08-2011, 06:54 PM

The 2 competitions suffer from the same problem. Meaningless early games and the whole thing fixed so the big teams get a bye until the later stages.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
24-08-2011, 07:01 PM
The 2 competitions suffer from the same problem. Meaningless early games and the whole thing fixed so the big teams get a bye until the later stages.
The Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup both used to be knockout games all the way through didn't they, I believe? Albeit with 2 legs in the early rounds.

The fans love the knock out stages (making a bit of a broad assumption there). But the clubs, football associations and TV companies love the league systems because it makes more money. Guess which format will win out in the end, regardless of how tedious the fans find it.....

Gollum
24-08-2011, 07:05 PM

Quitter.
Bottle-job.
Again.

ET1
25-08-2011, 06:32 AM
I like the League Cup and have fond memories of it involving Palace.
Warnock is a tosser.

Aki Aki Aki
25-08-2011, 06:52 AM
I don't remember him being so downbeat about the competition when his Sheffield Utd side knocked us out thanks to a Peschisolido goal that was about 5 yards offside.

And as for revamping the competition, has this not already happened?

Now he's all Premiersh!t, he thinks he should be the same as the other Premiersh!t managers - full of self importance and with delusions of grandeur.

thefox
25-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Can you pluck some arbitrary figures from the air for the Wigan tie too please? If you could include the VAT considerations for programmes (which are zero-rated) and gate receipts (standard rated), and some indications of running costs, in your workings that would be great.

Food, drink and beer sales would be good too.

monkey nuts
25-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I'd want my money back if paid to watch that and he said nobodys bothered and glad to be out of it.

SA Eagle
25-08-2011, 12:35 PM
The Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup both used to be knockout games all the way through didn't they, I believe? Albeit with 2 legs in the early rounds.

The fans love the knock out stages (making a bit of a broad assumption there). But the clubs, football associations and TV companies love the league systems because it makes more money. Guess which format will win out in the end, regardless of how tedious the fans find it.....

The problem is, all the time the fans keep turning up (& turning on) for the group stage matches it keeps the money making machine churning and the format will continue. What needs to happen is for people to boycott the group stage matches, both in person & on tv, once the money stops rolling in the format will change soon enough. Don't bank on it happening with all the armchair Man U & chelsea pricks about though.

Clapham Grand
25-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I want Palace to win every game, end of

Vince Hilaire's Afro
25-08-2011, 12:49 PM
The problem is, all the time the fans keep turning up (& turning on) for the group stage matches it keeps the money making machine churning and the format will continue. What needs to happen is for people to boycott the group stage matches, both in person & on tv, once the money stops rolling in the format will change soon enough. Don't bank on it happening with all the armchair Man U & chelsea pricks about though.
Yes, if Palace were in Europe I'd be delighted with the group stage format, because it guarantees the club more games in Europe, even if they lose them all.

But do neutrals/tv audiences watch more group games than they would knockout matches? I'd be surprised if they did. Personally I've never really bothered with group matches unless it's a particularly glamorous tie, or a decider. There's way too many 'dead rubber' matches, and the annoying situation where a team who's already qualified in first place sends out a reserve team, pissing off any other team depending on them to get a result.

Tom's Old Man
25-08-2011, 07:54 PM

But the League Cup isn't about playing teams like Wigan, with all due respect. A packed away end at Charlton 2005, a quality evening's football. Oh and the small matter of the Liverpool semi not all that long ago. Let's get Arsenal or Brighton away and see how many people aren't interested. Or home to Arse/Spurs/Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool. Almost certainly would be our biggest attendance of the whole season.