PDA

View Full Version : Is the Carling cup the signal that a new chapter has started?

Windsor_Eagle
10-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Irrespective of the result of the semi-final (although a win and a Wembley appearance would certainly add to the beautiful symmetry that this post is looking to describe) this cup run has been the one thing that has grabbed the attention of the wider footballing world about the re-emergence (or at least green shoots) of Crystal Palace F.C. For that we can rightly be proud of the team and management of our beloved club.

If you would indulge me for a second, cast your minds firstly back to the euphoric celebration (in which we all partook) after ensuring survival at Hillsborough. That moment was still not entirely sweet as we were still unsure of whether or not the club would survive that summer – and whilst it felt like the God-awful chapter in our history that had begun sometime after our last play-off appearance was drawing ‘euphorically’ towards a close – what remained unclear was whether or not another chapter would even begin.

Alas, the CFPC2010 consortium stepped in and provided salvation, and what followed (from a footballing perspective) was somewhat of an anti-climax after the thrilling 3-2 victory over Leicester City on the opening day of 2010/2011. Whilst we were getting some main-stream attention from the off-the-field perspective, it looked as though the rollercoaster was taking a further downward turn on the field, and indeed our ‘new chapter’ could have got off to a fairly disastrous start with relegation to the dreaded third division! Thankfully, we didn’t have to ‘pull a Brighton’ and sink to the lower leagues just to boost the trophy cabinet. Bless ‘em!

Disaster was averted thanks to the efforts of Mr. Freedman and his newly appointed backroom staff. All have done (in my opinion) an excellent job so far and we are all looking forward to our progress under their stewardship. With seeming stability and (for want of a better word) monotony on the horizon, many Palace fans could be forgiven for being thrilled by that prospect. However, many of us who have been through the wringer with Palace with every possible emotion related to football having been felt, have been eagerly awaiting the true upward swing of the rollercoaster and a period of more success both on and off the field, and a time where the greater footballing world gives a nod in our direction as if to say ‘well done Palace, you lot are a decent side’. We know that this will take a few years of hard graft to achieve (and it should if we want it to be sustained rather than fleeting), however, with the years of stagnation, heart-ache and financial mismanagement preceding what would be a few years of consolidation – things were truly in danger of becoming dull at the Palace!

Fear not, a fantastic (by the standard of recent years) league performance thus far, coupled with a truly fantastic cup run has once again alerted the nation that Crystal Palace F.C. is alive and kicking, and indeed may be forcing their way back into most peoples conciousness (this time for the right reasons) in the not-too-distant future. If we can somehow force ourselves to Wembley we’ll have had a remarkable turn around in fortunes in 18 months. With a possible Wembley appearance comes the ‘who knows what can happen in 90 minutes’ nature of cup football – which could write a chapter in our history more incredible and meteoric than any of us could dare have imagined during the trip to and from Hillsborough, or the march to London to help do our part to save the club.

Irrespective of what happens tonight, in a fortnight, or beyond – once again us Palace fans have been reminded that life never does get dull at Selhurst, and with a new badge on the horizon, possibly a fantastic new kit and a team and management young and hungry to achieve some success (with the genuine talent to achieve it) perhaps we can all look forward to a good read of the next chapter in the history of Crystal Palace F.C. Perhaps it may go on to be the most successful era of our club in our lifetimes? A big wish, no doubt, but anything is possible….

SJ'sLoveMonkey
10-01-2012, 03:59 PM
You git i have got tears rolling down my cheeks now!

Jordan's Jacket
10-01-2012, 04:03 PM
No, we are just having a good cup run

Seanee Pawnee
10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Already begun!
Winning away to Millwall, Utd and Brigthon in one season. How often does that happen?

Boyandy
10-01-2012, 04:13 PM
There's certainly a bit more of a feelgood factor about the place, and (touch wood) not having the spectre of relegation hanging over us has definitely helped.

But it's worth remembering that we also got this far in the cup when Alan Smith was last in charge - and that turned up to be an awful season.

However, little acorns and all that. Providing we're patient with the owners, the team and the coaching staff, we should hopefully grow season by season.

PALACEWU
10-01-2012, 04:16 PM

You are such a miserable tosser, especially on the matchday threads.

Windsor_Eagle
10-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Indeed, and I certainly didn't mean to suggest that we are now a side ready for promotion etc. Rather, that the mood has palpably lifted from imminent doom, to optimism.

Whether or not it is well founded does yet remain to be seen!

Jordan's Jacket
10-01-2012, 04:27 PM
You are such a miserable tosser, especially on the matchday threads.

I love to bathe in misery and shower in melancholy

Beanie
11-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Indeed, and I certainly didn't mean to suggest that we are now a side ready for promotion etc. Rather, that the mood has palpably lifted from imminent doom, to optimism.

Whether or not it is well founded does yet remain to be seen!
Can't disagree with that, but actually if there is "cause and effect" I'd put it the other way round - the cup run is down to the change of mood not the other way round.

Al From Bromley
11-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I think this cup run and the position in the league has injected a much needed feelgood factor into the club after what's gone on in recent times. I know we were divided on this, but I never really 'got' Jordan. Yes, thanks for saving the club and all that, but he was never really a fans man. He never had the interests of the supporter at heart or at the top of his list of priorities.

Contrast that with the new owners. A two way dialogue - including on here - readily accessible via other channels and always looking for ways of doing things better. The outcome? Smiles on the faces of the fans, often even when Palace lose, a real buzz about the place and, last night, an atmosphere that brought tears to my eyes remembering the good nights at Selhurst of old.

So, in answer to the thread question, yes a new chapter has begun, and long may it continue! I personally think that the outcome of the Carling cup encounter may shape the rest of Palace's season. A win and Wembley trip may just spur them on in the league too, whereas to fall at the second to last hurdle may knock a bit of the stuffing out of them for a while league wise. As has so often been the case down the years though, we just never know what is going to happen next at this rollercoaster of a club, only this time, it's all good!

Windsor_Eagle
11-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I think this cup run and the position in the league has injected a much needed feelgood factor into the club after what's gone on in recent times. I know we were divided on this, but I never really 'got' Jordan. Yes, thanks for saving the club and all that, but he was never really a fans man. He never had the interests of the supporter at heart or at the top of his list of priorities.

Contrast that with the new owners. A two way dialogue - including on here - readily accessible via other channels and always looking for ways of doing things better. The outcome? Smiles on the faces of the fans, often even when Palace lose, a real buzz about the place and, last night, an atmosphere that brought tears to my eyes remembering the good nights at Selhurst of old.

So, in answer to the thread question, yes a new chapter has begun, and long may it continue! I personally think that the outcome of the Carling cup encounter may shape the rest of Palace's season. A win and Wembley trip may just spur them on in the league too, whereas to fall at the second to last hurdle may knock a bit of the stuffing out of them for a while league wise. As has so often been the case down the years though, we just never know what is going to happen next at this rollercoaster of a club, only this time, it's all good!

This is exactly what I was talking about.

Whether the cup run is the result of a feel good vibe, or vice versa - the point is things are actually looking upwards rather than down at the Palace. In my opinion it is the first time in a long while. And perhaps, this is what a new era may have in store for us.

Here's hoping that Dougie and co lead us into a bright tomorrow! Great result last night. Not conceeding at home was vital - now to force the issue at the other end of the M4!

CPFC2010ANDON
11-01-2012, 04:59 PM
To be honest, the club is in a very good position now.

Also, to knock our previous owners is a bit true but far in some ways.

By this, I mean, we are very lucky with who we have now, but there aren't many of them around. Certainly not at our level and/or above our level, anyway.

palaceboy1
12-01-2012, 01:15 AM
A nice feel good thread but some twats still posting negative comments . I suppose its the nature of supporting Palace every time we shout from the rooftops somebody treads on us so we cant accept our success .
Dont you love walking around and proudly admitting your Palace and being able to join in football discussions with your premier supporting mates/family .
Do these negative threaders actually ever go to a match or are they lonely computer geeks .

DHeagle
12-01-2012, 01:37 AM
I think something that is really becoming prominent in the new chapter is the importance of the academy to our club. I am only 18, I'm aware that the likes of Mullins and Morrison came through the academy, so I may be wrong in saying all this but I don't think ever such a thing was made of how good our youth talent is.

First the appearance (and shortly after, the disappearance) of Bostock on the scene caused a stir, and then the sale of Moses when we fell into administration highlighted how important an academy can be to any club, but the way our academy has performed and stepped up to the mark, in the form of both the staff and the players, is remarkable.

Clyne has been ever-present since his debut a few years ago, and we're talking about him moving to one of the top six, and there's been very little doubt since we first saw him that he would get there.

Scannell has been admirable in the time he's been with us, ever since he lobbed the keeper against Sheff Wednesday on his debut when he was.. what, 17? He hasn't always played but he's given it his all whenever he has.

Lee Hills is another one, who looked like going on to big things, and possibly still could, but his career has been hampered by injuries, sadly. He, like others has shown bags of potential.

VicMo helped save us with the money his sale brought in, and that could have been a whole lot less had he not gone on a scoring streak towards the end of 2009. He was the first to bring real attention to the club and since then there has been a lot of noise made about the work that Gary Issott and his boys are doing at the academy.

Now with the arrival of Zaha, and a debut being given to De Silva last week, everyone knows what this club is about. We have worked with the community and local schools to build the academy up the right way, and the youngsters are currently top of a league, sitting above teams like Arsenal. That says something.

So for the fact that we have come through the last few years, and we're succeeding now with many academy products in and around our first team, Gary Issott and the staff at the academy deserve A LOT of credit, they've helped make this club the humble, loveable unit that we all know.

garronrav
12-01-2012, 03:14 AM
I find the PO comments regarding brighton and hove albion are extremly patronising, insulting and very offencive and for that i am going to rep him for such an honest and sincere post

Big-Griff
12-01-2012, 03:38 AM
At the end of the day..............Dont you just love being a Palace fan...........its not about glory its about a way of life

jamie12
12-01-2012, 03:54 AM
:D
Negative bastard

crystaljim
12-01-2012, 05:19 AM
I may have this wrong, but wasn't our last Semi appearance in the League Cup in 2001 against Liverpool not long after we came out of administration the first time?
Not being negative, just amazed at how much history can repeat itself.

Gosling
12-01-2012, 06:18 AM
Already begun!
Winning away to Millwall, Utd and Brigthon in one season. How often does that happen?

In fact, has it EVER happened? Not just by us, by any team? Happy trivia hunting...

Gerry from Sussex
12-01-2012, 10:56 AM
For waht it's worth I think the cup run is more a consequence of the upturn in our performances that was already underway in the league. The game at Brighton felt like the first real watershed moment in our season, especially for the manner of the win. Old Trafford probably topped it in terms of what we achieved but the foundation for that had already been laid.

I am very optimistic about the future but a lot depends on hanging on to at least some of our brightest youngsters. Steve P and co might be minted but the club isn't and, having been through two administrations, most of us have signed up to the idea that they won't be pouring money in from their own bank accounts. Our youth academy is the only way we can have top quality players to push for promotion in the forseeable future.

The spirit and determination is there though and Dougie is a godsend. He is still making mistakes some of the time but he is very canny and the determination to pull this club up is etched on his face every time you see him. His man management is already superb and you can see the way he interacts with the players with real warmth and mutual admiration. I'd bet it is a very happy dressing room for the most part. I don't think we would be in this position without him. Dougie and Palace is just one of those combinations that work - you can't buy that.