PDA

View Full Version : London 2012: Olympics missile sites considered for Blackheath and Shooters Hill

Maz
14-03-2012, 04:20 PM
And on the top of Canary Wharf.

Mat ov CPFC
14-03-2012, 04:28 PM
And on the top of Canary Wharf.

Part of me, and its a very dark part I confess, would be fascinated to watch missiles launched from the top of that. With perhaps the roof opening up and the missile launcher rising up like something out of a Gerry Anderson TV show.

Maz
14-03-2012, 04:29 PM
:) I know just what you mean!

Glad to have you back, Mat.

CallMeBernard
14-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Part of me, and its a very dark part I confess, would be fascinated to watch missiles launched from the top of that. With perhaps the roof opening up and the missile launcher rising up like something out of a Gerry Anderson TV show.

Or possibly convert the entire building into one, massive, end-of-the-world type missile.

Back to the thread, I suppose, and I am being very generous here, that they are planning for the unplanned? That although they don't think it's possible to have an aerial threat to London, they are prepared to accept the possibility that someone may have found a way, and are thus preparing for the unknown?

Scroatey
14-03-2012, 04:36 PM
They should re-instate old-skool ack-ack guns and search lights in Crystal Palace Park:p

cockles
14-03-2012, 04:41 PM
It's a sales pitch to sell these weapons to any government, dictator or rogue general who'll no doubt be visiting as VIPs for the Games.

Mat ov CPFC
14-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Back to the thread, I suppose, and I am being very generous here, that they are planning for the unplanned? That although they don't think it's possible to have an aerial threat to London, they are prepared to accept the possibility that someone may have found a way, and are thus preparing for the unknown?

I would assume that there is ALWAYS an assumption that there is an aerial threat to London from a hijacked plane and there have been several plots uncovered that have been working towards that.

What I am puzzled about is why now the change in tactics to deal with it given the previous proviso that any such threat had to be neutralised (either by forcing it to divert and land at Stansted or else shooting it down) prior to it coming into London airspace (what ever that is-I would assume there is a radius).

I think its safe to assume that the RAF maintain a capacity to get armed jets into the air at a moments notice and that this has been deemed adequate to deal with the threat so far.

With my plot driven head on I would hazard a guess that perhaps if a plane were to be hijacked at one of the main airports just prior to its taking off so that the terrorists could get it into the air and then turn it into a London target that there might not be the time to get the fighters up to deal with it so a SAM capacity in centralish London might be the best response but I cannot imagine this senario not being considered in the past.

GUCCI Eagle
14-03-2012, 04:49 PM
In the deep recess of my mind I seem to recall some coverage about the US asking for such assets to be deployed - although I can't remember whether it was linked to a state visit or the Olympics.

swissroll
14-03-2012, 04:51 PM
A Missile Destroyer is also being parked up near the O2.

Probably a good time not to be flying anywhere near London. Hijack threat minimal missile threat high

orp pisshead1
14-03-2012, 04:52 PM
I thought spooks had finished:(

Little Matt
14-03-2012, 04:54 PM
From the article it sounds like they'll be launched from Oxleas Wood. Is it going to be closed to the public for the duration of the games, or will there be a load of trucks parked incongruously in the middle, with a bit of Police tape around them?

Biggineagle
14-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Saw some interesting army vehicles in the Woolwich area a couple of days ago.

adrenalin john
14-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I noticed on my walk to work on Monday the cordoning off of a chunk of Blackheath, not sure what for.

Have to say, I love sport, dreamed of competing in the Olympics as a boy but am absolutely sick of this corporate greed fest that we as Londoners have to pay for and pissed down upon.

I actually saw the bid books and IOC compliance requirements years back (at the printers in Westerham who printed them) shocking stuff. Basically London belongs to the IOC and the powers given to private companies an absolute disgrace.

I hope it is going to be a celebration, but I fear it may be a very controlled and corporate one.

The amount of tickets available to the public for the blue riband events is a ******* joke, much will emerge post Olympics including the astonishing bill.

As I say I adore sport but I wished we had sunk 16-24 billion into house building and sport for all.

Halftime Gold
14-03-2012, 05:10 PM
In the deep recess of my mind I seem to recall some coverage about the US asking for such assets to be deployed - although I can't remember whether it was linked to a state visit or the Olympics.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/13/us-worried-london-olympics-security-2012

Would certainly explain the late decision...

Pinkie Brown
14-03-2012, 05:11 PM
There are still 'pill boxes' and other WW2 defences along Shooters Hill, perhaps with the budget cut backs we could just revamp them?

Richard
14-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Perhaps barrage balloons with the Olympic logo on them ?

Scroatey
14-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Perhaps barrage balloons with the Olympic logo on them ?You mean Coca Cola's logo surely?

weltklasse
14-03-2012, 08:36 PM
I noticed on my walk to work on Monday the cordoning off of a chunk of Blackheath, not sure what for.

Have to say, I love sport, dreamed of competing in the Olympics as a boy but am absolutely sick of this corporate greed fest that we as Londoners have to pay for and pissed down upon.

I actually saw the bid books and IOC compliance requirements years back (at the printers in Westerham who printed them) shocking stuff. Basically London belongs to the IOC and the powers given to private companies an absolute disgrace.

I hope it is going to be a celebration, but I fear it may be a very controlled and corporate one.

The amount of tickets available to the public for the blue riband events is a ******* joke, much will emerge post Olympics including the astonishing bill.

As I say I adore sport but I wished we had sunk 16-24 billion into house building and sport for all.

just the same as the world cup:(

FORZA SELHURST
14-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Is there not still that large barracks and MOD site just outside of woolwich? WOuld surprise me if they didn't have SAMs anyway.

Dave
14-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Why?

Baffled Bob 2
14-03-2012, 10:02 PM
I applied for tickets for this but just got archery

jone-zee
14-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Is there not still that large barracks and MOD site just outside of woolwich? WOuld surprise me if they didn't have SAMs anyway.

Yeah! Me too was always a fixture of various HM Barracks etc :rolleyes:

Ian of Chatham
15-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Putting a missile base in one of the locations will give "Shooter's Hill" a whole new meaning!

I heard on the local radio this morning that the microlight flying airfield not too far from where I live will have to close for five weeks during the Olympics unless it fits transponders to all its microlight planes and submit a detailed flight path plan which is restricted to a three mile radius of the airfield.

Palestinian
15-03-2012, 09:17 AM
As someone who lives in what estate agents call ‘Blackheath borders’, I am paying more through my council tax for the ‘privilege’ of having them locally and will do for years, I can’t get tickets, I won’t have access to one of my local parks (Greenwich Park) for weeks, there is no obvious legacy in SE London as all the venues are temporary, there will be parking restrictions during the Olympics and now large chunks of two of the other bits of green in SE London will be out of bounds for missile bases. I so wanted the Olympics to be a once in a lifetime event that ordinary Londoners could look back with pride on, a show case for our city, but sadly it is likely to be a costly inconvenience with no lasting benefit.

At least if the surface to air missiles are used it will make up for the almost certain demise of the Blackheath fireworks.

15-03-2012, 09:37 AM
As someone who lives in what estate agents call ‘Blackheath borders’, I am paying more through my council tax for the ‘privilege’ of having them locally and will do for years, I can’t get tickets, I won’t have access to one of my local parks (Greenwich Park) for weeks, there is no obvious legacy in SE London as all the venues are temporary, there will be parking restrictions during the Olympics and now large chunks of two of the other bits of green in SE London will be out of bounds for missile bases. I so wanted the Olympics to be a once in a lifetime event that ordinary Londoners could look back with pride on, a show case for our city, but sadly it is likely to be a costly inconvenience with no lasting benefit.

At least if the surface to air missiles are used it will make up for the almost certain demise of the Blackheath fireworks.

We also live on the "Blackheath borders" and i know what you mean. Despite all the inconvenience, the majority of local people (who have helped fund this) will not get a look in with all the corporate ticket allocations.

We have already decided to let out our house over the Olympics and get the hell out of here, just hope the missile sites don't put anyone off :D

FORZA SELHURST
15-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Why?

Because military bases tend to incorporate some kind of air defence capability. I think the rapier missile system was pretty common for british forces but not sure how up to date that is now, not following such things that closely. That's a SAM.

http://www.mmvg.net/Veh09.jpg

DANGERMOUSE
15-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Did I dream it, or is/was Kenley Aerodrome also being considered as a missile site?

jone-zee
15-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Did I dream it, or is/was Kenley Aerodrome also being considered as a missile site?

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/Croydon-anti-terrorism-base-London-2012-Olympics/story-15188952-detail/story.html

jone-zee
15-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Because military bases tend to incorporate some kind of air defence capability. I think the rapier missile system was pretty common for british forces but not sure how up to date that is now, not following such things that closely. That's a SAM.

http://www.mmvg.net/Veh09.jpg

Generally used for air base defence. We had something more dangerous. Matelots with SA80's :)

Mat ov CPFC
15-03-2012, 10:20 AM

I was there on Tuesday night with my little boy and his Cub pack as they were being given a talk and shown around the Cadet Glider squadron that operates out of there.

Never really been before and was amazed at just how big it is. Would be a perfect site for such a thing.

Palestinian
15-03-2012, 12:43 PM

The Woolwich Barracks will presumably be out of bounds as a missile base because it is an Olympic site, although when the bid was presented I suspect those making decisions thought the backdrop for the shooting would be
http://www.sei-london.com/client/media/_images/documents/woolwich_barracks.png
In practice it is one of the temporary venues being constructed and is more like a giant psychedelic Swiss cheese over the road on Woolwich Common (another bit of green that will be out of bounds for the Olympics)
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/02/81/24/2812432_7cc2bdfe.jpg

Sick Bucket
15-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Haha giant psychedelic Swiss cheese! What about London city airport? christ you´d only have to give the pilot a slight nudge on landing to wipe out half the financial city, I would guess thats going to be for private VIP, athletes etc

FORZA SELHURST
15-03-2012, 12:56 PM
That is some weird shit!

Lion
15-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Agree completely. To be perfectly honest I'm sick of the bloody thing. I hear that the wait for a tube may be as much as half an hour during the games - as someone who uses the tube every day for work it's going to be a complete arse.

Can't wait for it all to be over.