PDA

View Full Version : More Olympic waste?

little al
08-04-2012, 03:38 PM
My first thought was what a waste of money, but **** me, I want to go on it.

The Olympic cable cars that will transport people to the Games in style

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126822/The-Olympic-cable-cars-transport-people-Games-style.html#ixzz1rSoadyIM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/08/article-2126822-128393AE000005DC-785_964x370.jpg

Maz
08-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Showcasing British engineering to the world?

DANGERMOUSE
08-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Could be a long-term success, I reckon. Definitely something to add to the tourist trail. Might benefit from moving to another part of the river when the Olympics is over?

paul skinback
08-04-2012, 03:47 PM
ahh, i was asking my labourer what those tall white structures were the other day whilst we were sitting in traffic near the Blackwall Tunnel. Cable cars, when we need trams-like every other major European city.

little al
08-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I can see it becoming as popular as the Eye. Shame it will be sold off privately for cheap, before tax payers get their money back, but hey ho.
This is the only thing about the Olympics that has actually got me excited.
The fact Red Ken is against it is just a bonus.

eaglejez
08-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Unexpected issues for the British people in that it's all going too well. So far all we've managed to moan about is distributing the tickets in a ballot and the kit :)

GodstoneEagle
08-04-2012, 04:14 PM
ahh, i was asking my labourer what those tall white structures were the other day whilst we were sitting in traffic near the Blackwall Tunnel. Cable cars, when we need trams-like every other major European city.
where would you put these trams? :confused:

Gark Moldberg
10-04-2012, 12:57 PM
It'll only allow you to travel to the games if you are trying to get to the O2 or ExCel

rhino_mik
10-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Another white elephant.

CallMeBernard
10-04-2012, 01:20 PM
where would you put these trams? :confused:

On wires, high in the sky.

Oh, wait a minute....

CallMeBernard
10-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Could be a long-term success, I reckon. Definitely something to add to the tourist trail. Might benefit from moving to another part of the river when the Olympics is over?

Or extending to other parts of the city. Go by cable car from east to west along the river as an alternative to current forms of public transport.

Have larger capsules with an entrance fee; give them an alcohol license and create 'pubs in the sky', where you can have a drink while watching the sun go down over the city- would make it's money back.

Nth Kent Eagle
10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
No idea whether they will serve a useful purpose but would be of interest to tourists. I will certainly go on them for the fun of it. The one near the World Exhibition site north of Lisbon is popular (although doesn't go across water). Besides I thought Emirates Airlines were paying or at least contributing towards the cost in exchange for their name on the tubemap?

Eye-dee
10-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Another white elephant.

Where????

weltklasse
10-04-2012, 03:06 PM

is there really a demand for travel for the o2 to excel? wonder what the costs of moving all the infrastructure would be?

Nagyon NBL
10-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Or extending to other parts of the city. Go by cable car from east to west along the river as an alternative to current forms of public transport.

Have larger capsules with an entrance fee; give them an alcohol license and create 'pubs in the sky', where you can have a drink while watching the sun go down over the city- would make it's money back.

It would give a whole new meaning to : "don't piss on my back and tell me it's
raining"

Thanet Eagle
10-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Hope the replacement boats are in place for when the engineering work starts on the cable cars.

Gark Moldberg
10-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I doubt that there will be much engineering work. You could always take the Jubilee line and DLR instead

rhino_mik
11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Where????
http://www.historyoftheuniverse.com/images/millenium_dome.gif
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/birmmail/jan2012/8/4/hs2-graphic-573658945.jpg
http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/04/article-1320416957469-0EAAFB1800000578-892600_466x310.jpg
http://assets.liverpoolfc.tv/uploads/carroll2.jpg

Gark Moldberg
28-06-2012, 10:56 AM
The cable car opens at midday today.

weltklasse
28-06-2012, 11:57 AM
how to use a cable car or gondola properly.

http://cdn.londonreconnections.com/assets/eaglesdare.jpg

weltklasse
28-06-2012, 12:06 PM

does building a few support pylons really do that? I would have thought the questions should be how come we have ended up with one of the most expensive gondola systems ever? paid for out of Tfl Rail budget.

Ardent Eagle Forever
28-06-2012, 12:15 PM
They've built the biggest McDonalds in the world at the Olympic Park, but it's going to be bulldozed in September after the games. What a waste of time, just so mcD can get more exposure at the Games.

thehalifaxman
28-06-2012, 12:29 PM
http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/04/article-1320416957469-0EAAFB1800000578-892600_466x310.jpg

When are we ever going to see one of these. How much money has Boris chucked into his bus project

jone-zee
28-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Why are soc.libs so spiteful and hateful towards this country and everything it tries to achieve especially if its instigated by Tories etc?

Gark Moldberg
28-06-2012, 12:59 PM
does building a few support pylons really do that? I would have thought the questions should be how come we have ended up with one of the most expensive gondola systems ever? paid for out of Tfl Rail budget.

I don't think that most gondola owners have to worry about terrorist attacks.

A large chunk of the money is coming from sponsorship.

Il Padrino
28-06-2012, 01:02 PM
paid for out of Tfl Rail budget.

Most of the reports today say that out of the 60m cost, Emirates Airlines paid 30-odd million and 8m came from the EU.

But I'm sure TfL could have found better ways to spend 20 odd million if it was given a choice!

weltklasse
28-06-2012, 01:20 PM
I don't think that most gondola owners have to worry about terrorist attacks.

A large chunk of the money is coming from sponsorship.

sorry but we are talking about the construction costs - which lets be honest here are unlikely to include and specific anti terrorist features.

The project was originally billed as being ZERO cost to the taxpayer - now we find that the cost to the taxpayer will be many millions. Partially due to the type of gondola technology chosen (which is custom built therfore increasing costs hugely) In Koblenz ingermany they build a system of simmilar length with vastly greater capacity at less then a third of the cost.

My point is hardly political is more about the ineptittude of keeping costs on what is a relatively simple project under control.

weltklasse
28-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Most of the reports today say that out of the 60m cost, Emirates Airlines paid 30-odd million and 8m came from the EU.

But I'm sure TfL could have found better ways to spend 20 odd million if it was given a choice!

exactly one can imagine zero choice was giiven by the chair of TfL.

Adlerhorst
28-06-2012, 01:47 PM
When are we ever going to see one of these.
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/038full.pdf

spunky
28-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Probably already said but the lift is a doppelmayer so we will be showcasing german engineering to the world

Gark Moldberg
28-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Yes, the system itself is Doppelmeyer. The construction was undertaken by Mace which is British.

spunky
28-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Yes, the system itself is Doppelmeyer. The construction was undertaken by Mace which is British.

Which part is more impressive? The construction or the system, the construction of the lifts in whistler is far more impressive considering the terrain the lifts were built on

OscillateWildly
28-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Why are soc.libs so spiteful and hateful towards this country and everything it tries to achieve especially if its instigated by Tories etc?
I thought it was the right that were constantly telling everyone how the country has gone to the dogs because of black lesbian asylum seekers?

Beanie
28-06-2012, 08:11 PM
No idea whether they will serve a useful purpose but would be of interest to tourists. I will certainly go on them for the fun of it. The one near the World Exhibition site north of Lisbon is popular (although doesn't go across water). Besides I thought Emirates Airlines were paying or at least contributing towards the cost in exchange for their name on the tubemap?
Quite right, tourist attractions don't need to make sense, they just need to look like something to do. I paid about four times the fare for a cable car going from Singapore to the island of Sentosa (about like crossing the Thames) than on the ferry (think Woolwich) back. No real sense, just a tourist thing.

GUCCI Eagle
28-06-2012, 09:11 PM

I wonder if they have the same amount of screws left over as I do when I put up some IKEA furniture?

Isle of Wight
28-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Unexpected issues for the British people in that it's all going too well. So far all we've managed to moan about is distributing the tickets in a ballot and the kit :)
And the crappy logo :)

saxoneagle
29-06-2012, 11:15 AM
is there really a demand for travel for the o2 to excel? wonder what the costs of moving all the infrastructure would be?

Funny you should say that, but depending upon the speed and exact location, I'd use it.

I often stay in East London when I'm over, near Excel. Our offices are near London Bridge. I'd happily take the cable car every morning to North Greenwich and jump on the Jubilee Line there than piss around with the DLR and changing at Canning Town...

Scroatey
29-06-2012, 11:21 AM
How cool would it be to have one of these linking Selhurst Park to the nearby stations, soaring over SE25, dodging the wall(s) :p

CommercialStone
29-06-2012, 12:05 PM
It is bound to appear in a James Bond film in the future.

Little Matt
29-06-2012, 12:42 PM

I haven't got time to dredge up your many posts criticising the hugely successful London Overground / East London Line extension as a waste of money and the world's most expensive footbridge etc etc, but I think you're being a touch hypocritical.

jone-zee
29-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I haven't got time to dredge up your many posts criticising the hugely successful London Overground / East London Line extension as a waste of money and the world's most expensive footbridge etc etc, but I think you're being a touch hypocritical.

Well if you gauge increasing average journey times by up to 15 minutes for those beyond West Croydon as a 'success'.............

waddoneagle
29-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Just been told today i have Free tickets for the Basketball on the 30th :lux: :p

Gark Moldberg
29-06-2012, 09:48 PM
It is bound to appear in a James Bond film in the future.

I think Eastenders is more likely.