PDA

View Full Version : How was the Olympic experience ?

Chester 76
29-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Which event have you been to and how was it ?

Jason
30-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Went to the Rowing this morning, and it was absolutely superb.It was friendly and well organised, the security didn't feel in any way obtrusive and the venue was really nice. In terms of the sport itself, got to see seven races, saw two Olympic records broken, and it only cost 20 each (and that included the cost of travel to and from the venue!).

Have six other events to go to (most also in less glamorous sports, although I am lucky enough to have one athletics finals evening). If the others are as much fun as today, I'm going to be very happy.

The Omen
30-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Only beach volleyball so far, but it was fantastic. The venue has to be one of the best at the Olympics. The view of the London skyline from within the stadium is magical.

The sport itself was really good too - but then I used to be a volleyball player so I had a lot of interest in it anyway.

herts_palace
30-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Went to the Hockey and saw South Korea men beat NZ 2-0 and then saw the Aussie men cane SA 6-0. Good atmosphere in the stadium and a good experience. The seats were good even though they were the cheap 20 ones. Loved the Olympic Park and took loads of photos. Will be back there next week for the Athletics. Early start was the only downside.

EagleRG
30-07-2012, 06:48 PM
I went to the Brazil - Egypt at the Millennium stadium, it was a good atmosphere although the stadium was half empty, only 26,000 turned out. Got great seats, 4 rows from pitch side and on the wing so got to see plenty of Brazilians attacks first half. Luckily all 5 goals were scored at the end I was at, ended Brazil 3 - 2 Egypt.

It was a shame a lot of the Brazilian fans were put high up in the heavens when there were tons of empty seats behind both goals. It's true about Brazilian girls, very easy on the eye!! ;)

Excowboy
30-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Went to the Boxing last night - Lightweight and Welterweight Round of 32. Really good atmosphere - great support for the Brit Josh Taylor and the Irishman Adam Nolan, good humoured crowd and some nice action. Never realised how massive the Excel Arena is - it's like a city in itself.

Transport there and back was fine - I think London makes a really good Olympic City - we're one of the most international places in the world anyway, and used to loads of people. Really like the effect the games has had on the place too - real excitement around and way more smiles than usual.

thehalifaxman
30-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Went football at Wembley. A very family orientated experience. Like most events I think it was football for people who don't know anything about football.

I'm glad there is a bit of edge to Selhurst rather than that theatre kind of atmosphere. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just not for me.

Spent most of time in the bar. We were on the upper tier somewhere, view was fantastic actually from up there. Much better than when I've paid double the amount to sit on the ground floor. They had a load of other olympic sports we watched in the bars around the football. Of course, they had to stop serving cos the poxy football was on but if you walked around a bit you'll find some bar teams that forgot they were supposed to stop serving during the match.

stinky
30-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Been to cycling on Box Hill and it was just amazing.

Got rowing at Eton Dorney this Saturday, and the tickets were quite expensive, though not the most expensive, so I'm expecting decent seats.

Golf Boy
30-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Haven't seen one moment of any event. It is my goal to finish the olympics without seeing anything ( have to avoid news channels though )

LLCOOLSTEVE
30-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Can anyone tell me if their are big screens up in the Olympic park??

stinky
30-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Can anyone tell me if their are big screens up in the Olympic park??

There are

LLCOOLSTEVE
30-07-2012, 08:04 PM
So ill be able to watch the Athletics when there on saturday then, fab :)

firesign
30-07-2012, 08:05 PM
http://www.london2012.com/join-in/live-sites/olympic-park/

LLCOOLSTEVE
30-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Ta

firesign
30-07-2012, 08:10 PM
to be fair - I'm not sure how much they've promoted it, but it seems a relatively cheap and easy way of soaking up the atmosphere

stinky
30-07-2012, 08:11 PM
My dad is a volunteer at the Olympic park. He was on duty for the opening ceremony night, and decided to stay on to watch on the screens. They turned them off as too many people were stood around watching. Security issue apparently. He could have gone home to watch it. He was furious.

SA Eagle
30-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Went to the Equestrian Cross Country at Greenwich Park today. Was a good day out, probably helped by the good weather, thought it was well organised.

The Omen
30-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Haven't seen one moment of any event. It is my goal to finish the olympics without seeing anything ( have to avoid news channels though )

Attention seeking troll... :S: :rolleyes:

ebyeeckeagle
30-07-2012, 10:50 PM

Wow. Very pleased for you.

Thanet Eagle
31-07-2012, 07:58 AM
My sofa has been very comfortable so far and the toilet facilities first class (praise to Mrs T there).

saxoneagle
31-07-2012, 08:04 AM
My sofa has been very comfortable so far and the toilet facilities first class (praise to Mrs T there).

Me too. Going to work has been a stress. Don't know what I'm missing. Oh, to be retired. Or unemployed.

Thankfully, going to be in London Thursday night so will get a taster of the real action then.

waddoneagle
31-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Had a great day yesterday, Really nice to be a part of it, The Olympic park is amazing, The Basketball Arena is a 30 minute walk from the Station :eek: It is quite expensive in their , but not stupid prices, Travelling from Lewisham and back was easy, we got back at 1am, Good to see the Forces doing the security and the volunteers are really helpful, so a big thumbs up from me :p

dannyboy1807
31-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I am in the process of complaining if i'm honest nothing to do with the service which was good and the army lads were a laugh at the scanners. but the seats I had were restricted view my tickets were behind the press box so I couldn't see the whole pitch I wasn't told of this. otherwise I wouldnt have brought them.

Joooe
31-07-2012, 01:04 PM
All the volunteers/staff are incredibly friendly. Doesn't feel like England... ;)

Walked to West Ham station when we left and even the people posted way out towards there were friendly and having a laugh.

Sleeping Giant
31-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Been cycling to Richmond for the road races out of London then back home along the river to kingston for the back to london bit. Great atmosphere.Recorded the TV coverage and can't believe they didn't have great views of Richmond and Kingston Bridges as the riders went across. On the mens race I only knew they were even crossing the river because I recognise the area well, most wouldn't have known. Iconic views were completely missed. At least there was an aerial view at Kingston (didn't see what they did for Richmond) for the womens race but it was from so high that all the charm and beauty was missed. Basically, the "weight" of the course was utterly lost in the coverage. Roll on the Time Trials tomorrow.

Poosence
31-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Two events attended so far and really really impressed. Beach volleyball at Horse Guards is a stunning venue and if you let yourself go with it, great fun. Table Tennis at the Excel today was great and transport couldnt have been any better. We tried out the cable car from North Greenwich to Excel which was an interesting and relatively quick way to make the trip (not sure how busy it will be after the games thopugh?).

And agree on the volunteers, there's loads of them and seem to be going out o their way to be friendly.

New LP
31-07-2012, 04:19 PM

You're so cool.

Beckenham Boy
31-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Boxing on Saturday at Excel. Great view of the action, transport was easy and staff were friendly and helpful.

Volleyball on Sunday at Earls Court. Great atmosphere as Poland v Italy who were rivals and massive support for Poles who won in the end. Travel again easy and staff helpful. Only downside was the Brazil v Tunisia game after was starting at 10pm on a Sun night in West London so only stayed for the start.

Men's Skeet Shooting at Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich today, really easy to get to by bus from Beckenham and the venue was great fun. You could watch the 25m and 50m rifle and pistol training inside for free too. The skeet guys were superb, hardly miss a thing. The reigning Olympic champ won again, Hancock from USA, with a score of 148 from 150!

Got Badminton and Basketball coming up and might buy some more

civil eagle
31-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Went to the women's gymnastics qualifying on Sunday at the O2, great atmosphere all the restaurants were open in the outside circle of the O2 charging their normal prices, the catering inside the venue wasn't great prices high and service poor but that was my only gripe

Roadblock
31-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Attended the basketball this morning - the Olympic Park is great (even in the rain). Quality games (Russia v China, Spain v Australia)

Best of all was we tried our luck by queueing for handball tickets this afternoon. After two hours we got in to Serbia v Croatia for 5 each, excellent seats by the press cordon.

In all honesty, even though I've benefitted from it they've really made a mess of the ticketing situation.

jazman
31-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Attended the mens cycling event on Box Hill. A few initial teething problems but there are always going to be at such a location. The day was fantastic though. Off to see womens hockey on Saturday morning and boxing in the afternoon.

Chester 76
31-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Went to my first event this evening at the Aquatics centre, a fabulous atmosphere I thought the roof was going to take off when Jameson won his semi final.

cantspell
31-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Went to the football this evening and it was great. Goood match, good experience all round

Heb 7:4
31-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Saw some incredible Russian snatch, but the following jerk wasn't as clean as it should have been.

Wish I had more tickets. If anyone has spares to anything let me know!

Excowboy
31-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Went up to Lea Valley for the Canoe Slalom this afternoon - Great arena and a really exciting sport to watch - some really good humoured French people which took me slightly by surprise. They were rewarded by a gold, and the bronze went to a Slovakian who now has five medals in five Olympic Games.

Came straight down to Stratford for Women's Hockey - 20 quid tickets for two world class matches is amazing value - we were right at the back but with an incredible view of the whole Olympic Park.

The atmosphere in there is like a festival but without the random debauchery - it really is lovely - I'd encourage people who want to experience it and not spend too much time or money finding tickets to get a ticket to something like Women's Basketball - you'll still see world class athletes and learn about a sport and also get to walk around the park.

davematt
01-08-2012, 06:21 PM
I had a great time at Wembley Arena this afternoon watching some fantastic Badminton.

After last nights shambles, it was a very partisan crowd when it came to any game that involved Chinese competitiors. This was obviously a reaction to last night.

I saw Lee Chong Wei in the singles, who was brilliant. He had the kind of dominance on a Badminton court that Federer has on a tennis court. I then done a bit of research on him on the journey home, and he spent 199 consecutive weeks ranked No 1 in the world from August 2008 to June 2012. He is now ranked No 2 but going on that performance, it will take something very special to beat him.

Superb day :p

Selhurst300
01-08-2012, 06:40 PM
It was great to have been at Eton Dorney this morning when we won the gold medal. I was cheering and shouting but, as an emotional event, it wasn't as high as Palace winning at Old Trafford.
Organisation has been excellent.

spy
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Best of all was we tried our luck by queueing for handball tickets this afternoon. After two hours we got in to Serbia v Croatia for 5 each, excellent seats by the press cordon.

Didn't know you could do this - did you queue outside the venue or at the ticket office? Can you get tickets for other events this way too?

jazman
01-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Anyone that has been, I have tickets to see the hockey with the first game at 8.30am on Saturday. It says on the ticket to be there an hour before which make sit 7.30am. Just wanting to find out how necessary that is so that I can plan my journey up there. Looks like another early start!

Excowboy
02-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Anyone that has been, I have tickets to see the hockey with the first game at 8.30am on Saturday. It says on the ticket to be there an hour before which make sit 7.30am. Just wanting to find out how necessary that is so that I can plan my journey up there. Looks like another early start!

I was there Monday evening - you'll have an awesome time.

The Riverbank Arena is about a 20-30 minute walk from the Stratford or Greenway Gates, but much closer from Eton Manor Gate which is about a 20 minute walk from Leyton Tube. Takes about 10 minutes to get through security at the entrance to the park, and you just show your ticket to get into the arena.

If you get to Stratford Tube for about 7.30am, you should be in your seat with about 15 minutes to spare.

MasterYoda
02-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Well away from the olympic park the queues outside and inside the stadium were the worst I've ever seen despite being nowhere near full.

People were waiting 30 minutes for food and they ran out of most of it before the second game got started! Poor

jazman
02-08-2012, 07:08 AM
I was there Monday evening - you'll have an awesome time.

The Riverbank Arena is about a 20-30 minute walk from the Stratford or Greenway Gates, but much closer from Eton Manor Gate which is about a 20 minute walk from Leyton Tube. Takes about 10 minutes to get through security at the entrance to the park, and you just show your ticket to get into the arena.

If you get to Stratford Tube for about 7.30am, you should be in your seat with about 15 minutes to spare.

Great, thanks for the tips. Was a little concerned by that hour before bit as I usually go to events with minutes to spare before it starts. Looking forward to it. Have boxing tickets for the afternoon as well so the day has worked out well.

Sleeping Giant
02-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Pretty surreal seeing Wiggo cycling for gold past my usual Costa outlet in Kingston Market. The atmosphere was unforgettable and will never be seen again. Great that said modster mentioned the atmosphere in Kingston himself afterwards, I did think we were on form ;)

kevb
02-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Had a great evening last night, watching Women's Handball. Getting into the Park was easy; walking from West Ham station only took about 15 minutes. No queues to get in; a small queue for a beer & finally to get into the Copperbox.

A great atmosphere throughout the whole park; and inside the venue - though I doubt I'll become a handball afficinado. And leaving at about 10.30 was very easy too - busy but no queuing to get onto the DLR. Will no doubt be much busier next week.

Had a great time. Got Volleyball at Earls Court & Taekwondo at Excel to go.....

Princess
02-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Been to two events so far. Beach Volleyball and Football at Wembley. Both very well organised and thoroughly enjoyable! Got 2 more to go and then the closing ceremony! :lux:

Lingfield Eagle
02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Went to the Millennium Stadium last night to watch Mexico beat Switzerland and Team GB beat Uruguay. Amazing atmosphere, totally different from an average football match, fans of all four nations mixing together. Much much preferred it to Wembley. Also, a chance to boo Suirez for a full 90 minutes, what's not to like!!!

Off to Wembley on Saturday for Mexico v Senegal and then a family day in London on Sunday watching the women's marathon.

OscillateWildly
03-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Saw the beach volleyball yesterday morning. Stunning venue and up there with the most fun I've had at a sporting event. This isn't just a pervert's view- my wife loved it as well.

herts_palace
03-08-2012, 12:30 PM

I went to to the Hockey last Monday and we got to Stratford about 7:15. Needless to say we had a good look at the Park although we didn't deviate from the route to the Riverside Arena. We also stopped for water - which probably took about 15 minutes. In the end we didn't get in the arena till 8:35.

With the Athletics now on I would advise getting there at 7:15 possibly earlier - that way you can have a look around and take a few photos etc.

Leyton is a good call by Excowboy as the entrance was very quiet when I left the arena on Monday. I would go there if you don't mind walking.

Joooe
03-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Went to athletics this morning/afternoon and it was brilliant.

The noise for the British athletes was awesome! Especially for Jess Ennis and Katarina Johnson-Thompson.

If you're going to the park and you're able to walk, I'd say go to/from West Ham. So much easier.

Tube after Waterloo was rammed this morning (compared to when I went on Sunday), but through security in a matter of minutes.

swissroll
03-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Unbelievably crowded. Avoid Stratford and use west ham

jazman
03-08-2012, 06:24 PM
I went to to the Hockey last Monday and we got to Stratford about 7:15. Needless to say we had a good look at the Park although we didn't deviate from the route to the Riverside Arena. We also stopped for water - which probably took about 15 minutes. In the end we didn't get in the arena till 8:35.

With the Athletics now on I would advise getting there at 7:15 possibly earlier - that way you can have a look around and take a few photos etc.

Leyton is a good call by Excowboy as the entrance was very quiet when I left the arena on Monday. I would go there if you don't mind walking.

Cheers for the tips. Will report back tomorrow night. Itching to get up there!

LLCOOLSTEVE
03-08-2012, 06:29 PM
My turn tomorrow too :)

Basketball in the evening, Team GB v Oz

Bobby Smith
03-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Went to the Millennium Stadium last night to watch Mexico beat Switzerland and Team GB beat Uruguay. Amazing atmosphere, totally different from an average football match, fans of all four nations mixing together. Much much preferred it to Wembley. Also, a chance to boo Suirez for a full 90 minutes, what's not to like!!!

Off to Wembley on Saturday for Mexico v Senegal and then a family day in London on Sunday watching the women's marathon.

Also off to Wembley tomorrow. Anybody got any advice on how long it takes to get in? The kids are used to rolling up to Selhurst 5 mins before kick off.:lux:

THB
03-08-2012, 10:56 PM
been to boxing, beach volleyball, waterpolo, basketball and judo. With the exception of a 45 minute queue at horseguards, and slightly poor organisation there, everything has been incredibly efficient and enjoyable!

Volleyball, more boxing and women's hockey to come....

Been a fantastic games so far...

LLCOOLSTEVE
03-08-2012, 10:59 PM
So its you thats hogging all the tickets!!

The Omen
03-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Went to table tennis today. Excel was a good venue and well organised, but the being a spectator at the table tennis didn't even come close to the beach volleyball.

I thought it was lacking atmosphere. They needed a commentator inside the venue to get people involved (like they do at the beach volleyball and archery for example).

The GB team also didn't put up any fight at all against North Korea. Was quite funny to see the amount of Chinese players turning out for European nations too...

Isle of Wight
04-08-2012, 07:46 AM
been to boxing, beach volleyball, waterpolo, basketball and judo. With the exception of a 45 minute queue at horseguards, and slightly poor organisation there, everything has been incredibly efficient and enjoyable!

Volleyball, more boxing and women's hockey to come....

Been a fantastic games so far...

You bastard :hi: how did You get so many tickets ??

Isle of Wight
04-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Went to the judo yesterday with the kids and Loved it. One of the best days I've had out. Not a judo fanboy but it was all I could get and proceeded to get instruction on what was happening by a ten year old sitting next to us.
Crowd was brilliant and partisan.
Staff were ALL positive and made you welcome.
Going through security with staff who smiled and chatted with you was surreal after all my heathrow and Gatwick experiences.
Couple of travel tips. With the travel card you get with the tickets you can catch a train in from Surbition free so only 20 mins from Waterloo and you only have to cover parking.
For the excel get off at North Greenwich and catch the cable car. Great fun and it drops you a few hundred yards for the entrance.
Now how do I get more tickets for any event in the Olympic park?????????

Windsor_Eagle
04-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Had a fantastic day at the rowing yesterday. If the rest of the games are even half as well organised as the rowing was then we'll have had a very good Olympics indeed.

The Omen
04-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Went to the judo yesterday with the kids and Loved it. One of the best days I've had out. Not a judo fanboy but it was all I could get and proceeded to get instruction on what was happening by a ten year old sitting next to us.
Crowd was brilliant and partisan.
Staff were ALL positive and made you welcome.
Going through security with staff who smiled and chatted with you was surreal after all my heathrow and Gatwick experiences.
Couple of travel tips. With the travel card you get with the tickets you can catch a train in from Surbition free so only 20 mins from Waterloo and you only have to cover parking.
For the excel get off at North Greenwich and catch the cable car. Great fun and it drops you a few hundred yards for the entrance.
Now how do I get more tickets for any event in the Olympic park?????????

Forgot to say how impressed I was with this too. Any contact with Olympic staff has been fantastic so far - they are all so friendly and chatty - even the police and soldiers, as a few of my students found out yesterday

Roadblock
04-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Didn't know you could do this - did you queue outside the venue or at the ticket office? Can you get tickets for other events this way too?

We queued outside the venue. It's all about timing. When we started queueing we were about 50th in the queue. 2 hours later when we got in, the queue must have been 400-500 deep. |It helped us that this was the day after the announcement that more tickets would be available for resale in the park if Olympic delegates didn't turn up - so many people (including some staff) were unaware of this.

One other thing is that a lot of people aren't aware that there's 2 matches a session, so they leave after one game. We were fortunate because they were only letting in 2 or 3 at a time, as and when people left.

The Copper Box is a great little venue - you feel right on top of the action.

Payney
04-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I was up at Headley near box hill for the mens road race, Great day out seeing the bikes fly past. A few pints and the sun being out both helped.

I have been to the boxing at the excel twice this week. On Tuesday evening and Friday afternoon. Friday I watch Feddie Evans win his welterweight bout with a great last round display. The atmosphere in the arena was absolutely brilliant, All the helpers and security people were very friendly. Only gripe with the boxing was the queue for the toilets inside the arena. I'm still trying to find a ticket from somewhere to get me into the Olympic stadium.

eaglejez
04-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Athletics last night. #1 son is in a wheel chair with a broken leg so thought it would be interesting to check out the disabled access there and on public transport. Apart from having to go a few seemingly random ways here and there it all seemed great. Train guys happy to lob in a ramp when required and lifts all seemed to work. As soon as someone saw we had a push chair we were marshalled into a disabled lane and bypassed lots of the crowds. Going in and coming out. We found we couldn't get to our seats with a wheelchair so were directed to a Ticket Resolution area where 2 of our tiks were swapped for 2 in the wheelchair zone which must have been 2 of the best seats in the house (the others came down to join us since there were 3 spare seats for the last couple of hours !). :)
Really good organisation throughout with loads and loads of volunteers all smiling etc. Security really quick with loads of lanes.

Some might moan at the food prices of some items but the whole thing was magnificent.

Well done to all involved and although the British love to worry and moan , when it matters we always come good.

10/10 :) :p

Jason
04-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Went to the Rowing this morning, and it was absolutely superb.It was friendly and well organised, the security didn't feel in any way obtrusive and the venue was really nice. In terms of the sport itself, got to see seven races, saw two Olympic records broken, and it only cost 20 each (and that included the cost of travel to and from the venue!).

Have six other events to go to (most also in less glamorous sports, although I am lucky enough to have one athletics finals evening). If the others are as much fun as today, I'm going to be very happy.

Have now been to five events in all. The Rowing on Monday , Judo and Hockey Wednesday, Water Polo Thursday, and the first Athletics Finals night last night. Each one has been superb. Staff friendly, great atmosphere at all the venues, and the travel as smooth as it can be given the numbers involved.

Best thing of all though, has been the sheer quality of the sport being played. Each one of the sports was remarkable to watch live (the TV really doesn't do most of them justice), and even as someone with only limited knowledge of the sports involved, the fact that we were watching truly top class sportspeople compete was obvious. And most of the events I went to cost less than a top price ticket at Palace, with some costing no more than going to watch Bromley at Hayes Lane when the value of the free travelcard is taken into account! :p

Still have Canoe Sprint finals and gymnastics to go next week. Particularly looking forward to the canoeing, as it'll give me the chance to watch a medal event where we have a genuine chance of gold. The atmosphere should be quite something!

jazman
04-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Brilliant day. Very early start was the only down side and the amount of walking for my parents. Wouldn't have bothered me though. Absolutely fantastic day. Took in the Riverside Arena for the Aussies v South Africa and Holland v South Korea. Spent the afternoon at the Excel for some boxing, 12 bouts in total which was great. Travel on public transport was absolutely perfect. After watching the Olympics for a week and being on Box Hill last week, I am chuffed to have actually been there today. I do hope all that go have a wonderful experience. Once in a lifetime.

Bobby Smith
04-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Excellent day at the Mexico and Senegal match. First time at the new Wembley for me and the kids - but my youngest said he preferred Selhurst:lux: :lux: :lux:

Clearly quite a few Palace present - my daughter swears there was an even an exchange of 'Eagles' on the concourse. Certainly saw some shirts in the ground/bumped in to some outside. As well as the Palace wag who decided to add a Palace chant to the Mexican band on the way back to Wembley Park station. :lux:

Ended back where we had started the day - in Trafalger Square, where there was a silver medal winning Croatian rower who was more than happy to have his picture taken with the public. Well done to him. :lux:

Wycombe Eagle#2
04-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Excellent day at the Mexico and Senegal match. First time at the new Wembley for me and the kids - but my youngest said he preferred Selhurst:lux: :lux: :lux:

Clearly quite a few Palace present - my daughter swears there was an even an exchange of 'Eagles' on the concourse. Certainly saw some shirts in the ground/bumped in to some outside. As well as the Palace wag who decided to add a Palace chant to the Mexican band on the way back to Wembley Park station. :lux:

Ended back where we had started the day - in Trafalger Square, where there was a silver medal winning Croatian rower who was more than happy to have his picture taken with the public. Well done to him. :lux:
5 of us there and had a great day out:) We were behind the goal where Mexico scored their first, at the back and still had a great view.

That's our lot done now until the Paralympics and the one thing that has stood out or me is the organisation has been first class. 80000 there and we left swiftly, followed the good signage to our train and jumped straight on one and left, no hassles or queues. Is it usually like that at the new Wembley or is it just because it's an olympic event? Instead of getting the train back to Wycombe we went into marylebone then onto the rainforest cafe in Piccadilly. One thing that struck me was the atmosphere in London, i swear the majority of people were walking round with a flag of their nation and I've never seen so many people kitted out in union jacks. Made me feel immensely proud and made me realise that London is the greatest city in the world:p

Thursday at the rowing was also very good specially the way the bus shuttles were designed. We parked in maidenhead at one of their Olympic car parks for 15:eek: but it was well worth it, we parked up, bus straight there and back. Again no queuing or waiting:p

One thing I will say was it was a bloody long walk from Winsor race course which is where the bus terminal was, specially when you were in the standing area and then had to walk a further 1km down to find space. And the cost of tickets for kids were on the steep side for just standing on a grass bank. Ending up costing me 150 for 5 tickets as there were no child reductions. Finally cost of food and drink was ridiculous 14 something for 2 white coffees , 1 coke and 1 oasis. If things were more reasonably priced I would've spent more!

Overal had a great experience and can't wait for the Paralympics now, think we should have it every 4 years;) a final mention to all the volunteers who have been absolutely brillnt as mentioned:p

stinky
04-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Eton Dorney this morning. Marvellous. Except for the weather for about 45 mins

ChristalPalace
04-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Just got back from basketball in the Olympic Park. The park is a fantastic venue, while I can't quite believe they're going dismantle the Basketball Arena again after the games - the inside is super! :p

The Gamesmakers - who are of course doing it for free - really add to the occasion too by being so friendly across the park.

For all the cynicism I'd had for seven years that it'd be a complete flop, London is putting on a truly stunning event that will be remembered for decades to come.

Bobby Woodruff
05-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Just got back from the athletics - the best sporting day of my life (I think it just about beats Liverpool 4-3 at Villa Park).

The journey there was really easy - I got a Thameslink train to St Pancras and then the Javelin. Just walked onto the train at about 3PM - no queues.

Getting into the park was easy - very efficient security operation.

I then wandered around the park for a couple of hours taking in the atmosphere and saw the Womens Team Pursuit on the big screen.

I was in block 217 which is right by the start for the 400m events and the view was very good. I was in row 70 which meant climbing about 48 rows - which was a bit of a killer for me (out of condition and I live in a ground floor flat - my body isn't used to stairs).

My only complaint about the stadium is that on the way out it wasn't obvious which way to go to get to the various exits - there were no signs from the seating areas.

Afterwards getting the Javelin was fairly straightforward with good stewarding the only problem was at the exit from the Javelin they had the escalators down to the Thameslink platforms cordoned off and everyone had to walk the full length of the Eurostar platforms go down and then walk the whole way back.

Hedgehog
05-08-2012, 12:31 AM
This may seem a strange question, but are there a lot of foreigners at these events, or is it predominately British.

Watch TV here in the US it seems all the events (outside track and field) are very well supported by Americans. Could be family etc, but on the whole it has sounded like home soil for the Americans at the Volleyball, Swimming and Gymnastics to name a few.

LLCOOLSTEVE
05-08-2012, 12:32 AM
I can only reiterate what has been said....a fantastic day out. To be in that Olympic park and witness that vibe and atmosphere today was awesome... It's a fantastic venue and the volunteers are all brilliant, they really do give our games a wonderful feel, especially to foreign visitors.

If you are due to go this week you will have an amazing time and I'm very jealous I wont get to experience it again.

Hedgehog
05-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Having lived in Santa Monica during the Los Angeles Olympics, I don't recall this enthusiasm from the locals that I'm reading on here.

In fact I think the LA games of 84 (was it?) was the first games to make money, and that was probably due to the fact it was a very "corporate" games... locals were encouraged to stay away rather than attend events. It's sounding like London has found a nice blend, and the public transport being the VERY big difference - In LA it was basically drive and park at the event.

I personally only saw the marathon runners (male and female) run past the end of street, and I attended one football game at the The Rose Bowl.

I was asked a few weeks ago if I was going to London for the games and my response was you couldn't pay me... I'm rather regretting that comment and backward thinking now... I'm very jealous and would love to be part of this experience from what I'm seeing and reading.

Bobby Woodruff
05-08-2012, 12:55 AM
This may seem a strange question, but are there a lot of foreigners at these events, or is it predominately British.

Watch TV here in the US it seems all the events (outside track and field) are very well supported by Americans. Could be family etc, but on the whole it has sounded like home soil for the Americans at the Volleyball, Swimming and Gymnastics to name a few.

Where I was siting there were South Africans immediately behind me two rows back were a lot of Germans and there were a few whoops whenever someone from the US was announced. There were also Spanish and Polish flags nearby. Walking around the park beforehand there seemed to be people from, just about every country on the planet.

Remember that every NOC gets an allocation of tickets and also that there are expat communities from just about every country in London (apparently London would count as the sixth largest city in France).

The crowd was though overwhelmingly British.

Hedgehog
05-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Where I was siting there were South Africans immediately behind me two rows back were a lot of Germans and there were a few whoops whenever someone from the US was announced. There were also Spanish and Polish flags nearby. Walking around the park beforehand there seemed to be people from, just about every country on the planet.

Remember that every NOC gets an allocation of tickets and also that there are expat communities from just about every country in London (apparently London would count as the sixth largest city in France).

The crowd was though overwhelmingly British.
Thanks... that's what I would expect.

I noticed the South African "Blade Runner" said he felt at home in London... well yes.. a lot of SA's in London. I'm sure the Ozies feel the same.

Isle of Wight
05-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I loved it so much I am trying to get tickets for anything in the park next week.
I was delighted when it was announced that we had won the games but that was really out of a sense of " at least we have won something " rather than wanting the games themselves. I then became part of the team that would certainly win gold, Team moan. It's part of our psych I am sure, if we had nothing to winge about we would winge about that.
Hated the Lisa Simpson blow job logo ( still do )
I got tickets as I felt I had to for the kids, but then moaned about what I got. Judo. (still think the ticketing is poor)
Then the opening ceremony started and I moaned some more........... For 5 mins. As soon as they got to the industrial revolution I was hooked and loved it ( apart from Macca. See I can't help myself )
The sports I have LOVED and I don't follow this stuff.
The 3 point goal by the women's basket ball team with less than a second to go.
The rowing, cycling and sailing have all had me jumping out my seat. Would loved to have gone into the Velodrome.
The gymnastics team doing so well.
The trampolining left me with my jaw on the floor.
Then the Athletics. Oh how I so wish I saw this live.
Johnson Thompson. My favourite name of the Olympics and a suburb athlete to boot she will be one of our greats over the years I am sure. Same for Gemili what a down to earth bloke. Then our super stars of Ennis, Mo and Rutherford. Just brilliant.
I'm watching everything I can and am so impressed with the athletes, the organisation and atmosphere.
Finaly at the Judo there we're loads of French and Japanese along with the Brits. All encouraging their own but also cheering others.
Love it.

LLCOOLSTEVE
05-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Day after and im still buzzing

I forgot to add that despite there being hundreds of thousands in the park throughout the day there were zero queues, none to get in, none to go through security,none to buy a drink, none to get any food, none to get in the venue in the park, was amazed. So well organized.

Budgie Byrne
05-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Went to the Tennis on Thursday. A great day and well organised, even the security searches went smoothly and all the security team were friendly, as far cry for the football experience on a normal Saturday afternoon.
The atmosphere was great and we had some great seats on Centre Court, at 65 each a real bargain as we saw almost 7 hours of quality tennis.

Lucky enough to have been to Wimbledon many times for the championships over the years and seen some great matches, but this was by far the best day ever. We have not been to a "peoples" Sunday on the odd occassion they have been held due to weather delays, but I assume Thursday must have been at least equal to those Sunday's (Monday's) if not better

LLCOOLSTEVE
05-08-2012, 11:34 AM
one more thing :)

Loved the fact that the Athletes were just wandering around the park too, so many having photos taken, saw a few famous names, had a chat with an ex NBA basketball player :) Marvelous

Bobby Woodruff
05-08-2012, 12:29 PM
One thing to add if you are going to the athletics, I found the binoculars I took very useful. I was on the first bend and in row 70, which is about 10 rows from the back. The video screen was easy to see at the other end of the stadium but I had some difficulty reading the details on the screen next to it. Also the video screen doesn't always cover all of the field events - and the long jump was a long way from where I was.

Kirby
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Went to the basketball on the first day. Brilliant transport links, friendly volunteers, great stadium/park.

Only downside was the queue for food in between the two basketball matches. We stood there for over 40 minutes only to be told they'd run out.

Off to Old Trafford tomorrow night so it'll be interesting to see how it all compares with London. Also off to Wembley the day after so I'll report back then!

jazman
05-08-2012, 01:32 PM
As Steve said earlier, I'm still buzzing today the day after being up there. I wish I was going again but so glad to have experienced it. Chuffed for my son as my Dad has just asked him to go the athletics with him tomorrow as he has a spare ticket.

Chester 76
05-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Been to two events sofar, a fantastic experience both times. Going to my third this evening and looking out for any other opportunities. This is how sport should be !

herts_palace
05-08-2012, 02:05 PM
One thing to add if you are going to the athletics, I found the binoculars I took very useful. I was on the first bend and in row 70, which is about 10 rows from the back. The video screen was easy to see at the other end of the stadium but I had some difficulty reading the details on the screen next to it. Also the video screen doesn't always cover all of the field events - and the long jump was a long way from where I was.

Was thinking of taking them so thanks. :p

Joooe
05-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Went to the Park for probably the last time today, until the Paralympics.

Saw some basketball (which I'm not actually a great fan of tbh), still great fun despite the rain.

Although made the mistake of going to the Coke Beat Box thing. Don't do it. :eek:

racehorse-80s
05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
So far so good managed to attend 3 cycling events and 2 free concerts in hyde park without lining the corporate pockets of the Olympic commitee or their sponsors plus we enjoyed them all:lux:

LLCOOLSTEVE
05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Although made the mistake of going to the Coke Beat Box thing. Don't do it. :eek:

what was that? I saw it but was the only thing that had a queue!

Little Fozzie
05-08-2012, 02:47 PM

Yeah what's in there? Walked past it when I was at the park, looked weird

Joooe
05-08-2012, 02:59 PM
what was that? I saw it but was the only thing that had a queue!
Yeah what's in there? Walked past it when I was at the park, looked weirdThe first bit is just a half-arsed 'music' thing. As you walk around, you press buttons which make noises.

But when you get to the final room, it's a weird Coca-Cola celebration show. Strangely-happy people dancing and cheering for Coke, while everyone stands around holding their bottles in the air. Feels somewhat like a Coca-Cola cult! :eek:

Two good things - you get a free picture holding the Olympic Torch (although it has to be downloaded through FaceBook or something), and you get a free bottle of Coke.

eaglejez
05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
couple of mins of our trip on Friday :)

bBPOtScVZ_c

firesign
05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
cool

squelchy18
05-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I really wish I went to some event now...I didn't book any before as I wasn't too interested thanks to the corporate crap but watching it on tv has made me love it and want to be part of the experience.

Just a shame I don't have anymore time off work and probs can't afford them :(

racehorse-80s
05-08-2012, 06:22 PM
I really wish I went to some event now...I didn't book any before as I wasn't too interested thanks to the corporate crap but watching it on tv has made me love it and want to be part of the experience.

Just a shame I don't have anymore time off work and probs can't afford them :(

How about men triathlon tuesday 1130am hyde park or the mens marathon next sunday ? both free events.

squelchy18
05-08-2012, 06:25 PM
How about men triathlon tuesday 1130am hyde park or the mens marathon next sunday ? both free events.
Could do the marathon :p

racehorse-80s
05-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Could do the marathon :p

Should be a good atmosphere after the success so far:p

The Gerry Queen
05-08-2012, 06:30 PM

I know how you feel. Although i really respect the athletes and want he games to be a success, the coverage is at saturation level. Too much. They should have given over 2 channels, one BBC and one independent to have 24/7 Olympic coverage each and left the rest as normal. I was watching BBC news and the 'breaking news' of the verdict for the tragic so called 'honour' killing of a young woman by her parents and couldn't believe it when the solicitor reading statements on behalf of the other children in the family was actually interrupted to go over to an Olympic event where team GB had won a gold medal. Unbelievably insensitive. Even SKY News broke the Asian Family story with more sensitivity than the Olympic crazed BBC !

Nork1
05-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Fantastic. Went to the athletics, the atmosphere was superb, the volunteers did a great job, the army on security were totally professional, transport there and back was a piece of piss (although I did a bit of planning and chose routes that avoided joining anything coming from London on the way and anything coming from Stratford on the way back).
The only minor gripe I've got is the lack of screens around the place. Considering Samsung and Panasonic are sponsors I thought they could have done better. I did get to see Murray beat Federer but once that had finished the sport coverage was interrupted by endless British Airways propaganda.
Queues for the bars were ok and at 4.30 a pint I didn't think it was too excessive.
A top day out.

GodstoneEagle
05-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Fantastic. Went to the athletics, the atmosphere was superb, the volunteers did a great job, the army on security were totally professional, transport there and back was a piece of piss (although I did a bit of planning and chose routes that avoided joining anything coming from London on the way and anything coming from Stratford on the way back).
The only minor gripe I've got is the lack of screens around the place. Considering Samsung and Panasonic are sponsors I thought they could have done better. I did get to see Murray beat Federer but once that had finished the sport coverage was interrupted by endless British Airways propaganda.
Queues for the bars were ok and at 4.30 a pint I didn't think it was too excessive.
A top day out.
agree with all this. Bolt was obviously the highlight.

Had to wait ages for a curry as the ****wits only had one till open, but that is my only downside.

Army should take over security machines at airports. Far more speedy and efficient than usual!

Louis
06-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Determined to try to go to something before it finishes, especially reading all these glowing reports. I registered yesterday, and just logged in now, surprised to see tickets available from 50 for Olympic Park tonight for this lot:

Monday
06 August 2012
18:50-21:35

Women's Pole Vault Final
Women's Shot Put Final
Men's 3000m Steeplechase Victory Ceremony
Women's 200m Round 1
Women's 400m Hurdles Semifinals
Men's 100m Victory Ceremony
Men's 400m Hurdles Final
Women's Shot Put Victory Ceremony
Women's 3000m Steeplechase Final
Men's 400m Hurdles Victory Ceremony
Men's 400m Final

Next price after 50 was 95 - both seem good value considering all those events. Don't think I'll go tonight, but will try again for later in the week.

New LP
06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Determined to try to go to something before it finishes, especially reading all these glowing reports. I registered yesterday, and just logged in now, surprised to see tickets available from 50 for Olympic Park tonight for this lot:

Monday
06 August 2012
18:50-21:35

Women's Pole Vault Final
Women's Shot Put Final
Men's 3000m Steeplechase Victory Ceremony
Women's 200m Round 1
Women's 400m Hurdles Semifinals
Men's 100m Victory Ceremony
Men's 400m Hurdles Final
Women's Shot Put Victory Ceremony
Women's 3000m Steeplechase Final
Men's 400m Hurdles Victory Ceremony
Men's 400m Final

Next price after 50 was 95 - both seem good value considering all those events. Don't think I'll go tonight, but will try again for later in the week.

I hate to be a doom merchant but that means nothing, actually getting tickets for anything on that site is a mission. You'll find you log in continually and try and get tickets, wait 15 minutes only to receive a message that they're are no tickets reserved.

Louis
06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I hate to be a doom merchant but that means nothing, actually getting tickets for anything on that site is a mission. You'll find you log in continually and try and get tickets, wait 15 minutes only to receive a message that they're are no tickets reserved.
Yeah - realised that after I'd posted (but I'll keep trying :) )

Whyteleafe_Sage
06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I've always liked Volleyball and so we finally managed to get tickets for Earls Court on Saturday night. We had Brazil, Argentina, Bulgaria and Serbia (4 of the top 8 in the World) on show, and as you might expect the atmosphere was incredible. The Bulgarian and of course Brazilian fans were easily the most vocal and it all added to what was actually a really entertaining night. Bulgaria v Argentina went to 4 sets and Brazil v Serbia to the full 5, with Brazil coming from 2-1 down to win. Just like in Football, once Brazil got going there was only going to be one winner- they were awesome!

Travel to and from Earls Court from Purley was really easy and even though play didn't finish until 1.00am we were back in Whyteleafe by just after 2.00...

Olympic Experience rating 10/10.

dannyboy1807
06-08-2012, 09:08 AM
went to Handball on thursday was brilliant really enjoyed the whole evening, the atmosphere was great and saw the rowers who won gold that day aswell huge medals.

New LP
06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Went to the Excel for the fencing yesterday, the stewards are very helpful and engage you in friendly conversation etc. Feels weird to have such friendliness in London! The venue was good, the fencing surprisingly entertaining and a good atmosphere with four bouts taking place at the same time and fans of all teams shouting for the their team. Lots of noisy French fans who went quiet when their team crashed out and had a load of Americans giving it the whole You S A routine behind us. GB support was good and they took the world champions Italy close, the Italians went on to win later on.

We then went to the park with tickets for the three metre diving, not the most exciting event but the main thing is to get in the park. The aquatics centre is impressive The one criticism as already said is the lack of screens showing events around the park. There's only one place, the big BA screen and that got really packed and there were queues to get in. But managed to see Murray win and then the 100 metres in the evening. Despite the diving being a little dull the aquatics centre is impressive, although a serious hike up the stairs if you are up in the gods. Food and drink is expensive (8.50 for fish and chips), but that's no surprise, you can take your own in though.

Off to Wembley today for the women's football which will probably be a little closer to home.

Chester 76
06-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Went to the Beach Volleyball last night, the setting is incredible they have to hold other events there ! The atmosphere was fantastic, I was inbetween a group of Americans and Brazillians my ears are still ringing now.

Nork1
06-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Womens' beach volleyball - a bit disappointed that nowhere was set aside to knock out a sly one.

Erne
06-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Womens' beach volleyball - a bit disappointed that nowhere was set aside to knock out a sly one.

Yeah, I rather misunderstood the situation when they told me the competition had reached the knockout stage.

You live and learn:confused:

Roadblock
06-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Went to the athletics this morning. What a magnificent stadium - full to capacity. Didn't want to leave after this morning's session.

Atmosphere was a little subdued overall, but the crowd did go wild for Okoye in the discus and Dobriskey in the 1500m. Okoye especially, a great recovery to qualify after a shocking start.

Great experience overall but a little surprisingly for me the handball, boxing and basketball all topped the athletics.

SexualChocolate
06-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I was at the stadium last night, watching Christine Oghuoru, Oscar Pestorius & the 100m semis and final. Absolutely superb sporting experience. Obviously, the actual events were great. Seeing the fastest guys in history battle it out was amazing, but for sheer excitement the womens 400m did it for me. Christine was awesome and with another 5m she'd have won it.

Also, having the honour of watching Oscar Pestorius run his ass off in the mens 400 was emotional. Anyone who thinks that guy has an 'advantage' due to his 'springs' needs their head read. The fact that he can compete with the able bodied athletes is utterly amazing. The guy is a massive role model to everyone, not just disabled people. The courage and determination he's shown to reach the level he his is just phenomenal.

The overriding thing for me & the missus was the way that the staff made the atmosphere. Rather than overly officious, surly and miserable stewards (like we have to deal with too often at football); all the way in and out of the stadium, even all the way back to West Ham station at 11pm last night, the staff were all friendly, engaging, happy & cheerful. They were singing, waving starting off "Team GB!" chants. That made a HUGE difference to the atmosphere of the crowd. Everyone was happy, relaxed and upbeat from the off. Whoever hired these guys needs a knighthood as everyone saw the very best of Great Britain.

Absolutely loved it. Just awsome.

Jono14
06-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Heard nothing but good things about the volunteers. My mates working in the megastore or one of the shops there and he loves it there, says everyones so happy to just be there.

Going to the football final at Wembley on saturday, wish I got tickets somewhere in the olympic park instead though.

Nork1
06-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Agree about the volunteers. Normally this sort of thing leaves me cold, I was expecting an OTT American style toe curling vomit fest but these folks had it absolutely spot on. Their mood was infectious - taking the piss out of punters in a jokey way to get them to smile was so much better than the plastic 'have a nice day' approach. Even walking to West Ham station the humour and warmth was still there. They put everyone in a good mood and their contribution to the whole experience was immense, they made a huge difference. A great job really well done.

The Omen
06-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Eton Dorney today. Another excellent experience and the volunteer staff really help make the atmosphere so good.

Such a shame it will be over this time next week!

mexicaneagle
06-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Football - Mexico vs Senegal, Wembley.

Superb. Loads of helpful people at stations. Friendly stewards and police. Great atmosphere. Really well organised, with armbands for kids in case they get lost. Unobtrusive search. No queues! Extra trains after, with staff shouting out the platform of the next departure.

Bloke talking to crowd and encouraging Mexican waves.

So much better than my old Wembley experiences. I have nothing but good things to say; having travelled through London 3 times during the olypics, I can really vouch for the friendliness and positivelty of the helpers on all stations.

What is really surprising is the tolerance and good humour of Londoners. i am used to (and guilty of) Londoners being always in a rush, tutting and jostling slow touristy types and having dour expressions. Not right now. All smiles and friendly inquiries into nationhood and games impressions. It reminded me of when we were all snowed in last year - people, free from work stress, reclaim their natural niceness.

I'm a convert. We are putting on a great games. Simply wonderful stuff from staff but also the general public.

That was a major gush.

mapcontractor
06-08-2012, 09:56 PM
So its you thats hogging all the tickets!!

I feel a bit of a hog too... after hunting for tickets for 18 months I ended up with 178 tickets to 32 sessions which I shared between family and friends. It took a lot of time and energy but definitely worth it.

06-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Just got back from Olympic park where we saw 2 x Handball matches (Denmark v Korea / GB v Iceland) Great atmosphere both at the copper box venue and the park in general. Travel very easy via DLR, all in all a great day out and looking forward to going back later this week for the Handball semi finals (which will move to the Basket ball arena)

civil eagle
06-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Went to the synchronised swimming today, would give that a 6/10 as really wasn't that interested but my daughter and wife loved it.

However I would give the experience of the Olympic Park 9.75/10 (the 0.25 was due to the fact there wasnt any apple sauce at the hog roast stand). Everything else was spot on, 5 mins to go through security, 0 mins queue to enter park and venue.

Happy helpful staff, great atmosphere in the aquatic centre (if you go its really warm in there), free water points, lovely landscaping and planting. Everyone friendly got chating a US family who have been blown away at the organisation of the games and welcome they've received.

An event we should all be truely proud its shown everything that is good about this nation and will have raised our profile internationally

Big Blue Eagle
07-08-2012, 07:10 AM
This thread should be shoved in front of everyone who was saying it would be a disaster and we would cock it up.

It gives me really mixed feelings. A friend of ours is a "games maker" and her pix on Facebook are wonderful, plus the whole experience sounds fantastic from you guys and makes me really proud of what the organisers, games makers and fans have delivered.

We thought long and hard about tickets for all sorts of events but in the end the demands of having an elderly dog that we can't leave for too long made us decide to do the free events instead. Then my father in law became ill and passed away 3 weeks ago and we have been only able to watch on TV. He would have loved this as a big sports fan, and the huge emotional highs from the Games have helped a lot. The Opening Ceremony was the day after the funeral and it was nice to sit there in awe, and also trying to work out what he would have made of it - probably not in favour of the Arctic Monkeys! He went on a trip to the Park before the games and said how stunning it looked.

Thanks London 2012 you have helped us through a sad period, even if we haven't managed to get there in person.

foxinthebox
07-08-2012, 07:43 AM
This thread should be shoved in front of everyone who was saying it would be a disaster and we would cock it up.

What about those people who really wanted to go. Did everything they legally could to get a ticket. Couldn't get one but still see swathes of empty seats at most events?

I was at volleyball Friday night and it was staggering. I'd say 20% of the arena was empty. The block opposite me level With the net had a couple hundred empty seats all game.

Ticket wise I believ it has been a disaster. They over complicated it, ballsed it up and should be fined by the IOC in my opinion.

Travel wise, performance wise, quality of the venues etc has all been excellent but you can't really expect one of the main features of an Olympics, the watching of it, be ignored to suit such statements

I'd like to think it signals the end of such generous ticketing for sponsors if they are the cause but I doubt it will. The real fans should be in there

Foreign fans should have had to buy via locog in a special section of the site and any of sold with 2weeks to go could have gone back on sale easily to the British public.

dannyboy1807
07-08-2012, 07:58 AM
I feel a bit of a hog too... after hunting for tickets for 18 months I ended up with 178 tickets to 32 sessions which I shared between family and friends. It took a lot of time and energy but definitely worth it.

you see this is whats wrong with it all the fact you weren't limited in how many your could buy i'm not saying it's your fault because I probably would have done the same given the opportunity.

EagleSE24
07-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Went to the athletics this morning. What a magnificent stadium - full to capacity. Didn't want to leave after this morning's session.

How does that work? Do they announce everyone has to get out and you file out while those with afternoon session tickets are queuing to get in? I imagine it's like getting off a tube with people eager to get on.

Can you stay if you have tickets to both sessions?

Big Blue Eagle
07-08-2012, 08:19 AM
What about those people who really wanted to go. Did everything they legally could to get a ticket. Couldn't get one but still see swathes of empty seats at most events?

I was at volleyball Friday night and it was staggering. I'd say 20% of the arena was empty. The block opposite me level With the net had a couple hundred empty seats all game.

Ticket wise I believ it has been a disaster. They over complicated it, ballsed it up and should be fined by the IOC in my opinion.

Travel wise, performance wise, quality of the venues etc has all been excellent but you can't really expect one of the main features of an Olympics, the watching of it, be ignored to suit such statements

I'd like to think it signals the end of such generous ticketing for sponsors if they are the cause but I doubt it will. The real fans should be in there

Foreign fans should have had to buy via locog in a special section of the site and any of sold with 2weeks to go could have gone back on sale easily to the British public.

Sadly I think that moving ticketing to on line for all events has proved hugely problematic - remember Cardiff? Remember the internet melting down for Take That tickets? In the old days you sent your SAE or queued up at Selhurst (12 hours for the Cup Final - I was there!) and demand was managed that way. Now 10m people press a button almost simutaneously and crash websites.

The allocation is not in LOCOGs control. The IOC stipulate how many for the Family, how many for Sponsors and also how many to be sold overseas, it is a global event and we also WANT foreign fans here spending money. I actually think that LOCOG and the BOA have done well to get the Olympic Family tickets back to resell, which is clearly where the bulk of the gaps occur. I actually think that the sport mad mentality of the UK is far and away ahead of other countries and that has taken the IOC by surprise. It certainly seems that we will watch anything anywhere during these two weeks.

I am sure they will learn lessons for future games, but given the intense demand at the start, and the restrictions on home sales that they had, I am not sure they could have done much more.

knowlesyUCLA
07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Important point - is the McDonalds in the park normal prices? I am there tomorrow and that is forming a major part of my drinking plan.

mapcontractor
07-08-2012, 11:18 AM
you see this is whats wrong with it all the fact you weren't limited in how many your could buy i'm not saying it's your fault because I probably would have done the same given the opportunity.

Everyone had the same opportunity as me. :lux:

pallet
07-08-2012, 11:19 AM
I am off to wembley today for the semi's , will finally be able to post on here later:p

Anyone going to the Para olympics?

mapcontractor
07-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Important point - is the McDonalds in the park normal prices? I am there tomorrow and that is forming a major part of my drinking plan.

I was at the small McDonalds by the OS before the Opening Ceremony and my wife tells me that she thinks the prices were about the same. I don't think it had a full menu but they had most things.

New LP
07-08-2012, 12:46 PM
It certainly seems that we will watch anything anywhere during these two weeks.

We went to the women's football semi at Wembley yesterday; just over 61,000 people there!

Although it still proved an arduous process getting tickets through the website and even then we only got the option on 45 tickets when there were clearly large blocks of cheaper seats sitting there unused. They were selling them at the gate but this had not been publicised, with better access to tickets they probably could of got an even bigger crowd.

Shoreditch CPFC
07-08-2012, 12:53 PM
We went to the women's football semi at Wembley yesterday; just over 61,000 people there!

Although it still proved an arduous process getting tickets through the website and even then we only got the option on 45 tickets when there were clearly large blocks of cheaper seats sitting there unused. They were selling them at the gate but this had not been publicised, with better access to tickets they probably could of got an even bigger crowd.

We paid 60 for ours whch were the only ones available a week or so ago. I was there and thought there were signs saying only pre booked tickets were available. They certainly kept it quiet and given the olympic fever they should have advertised that tickets were avialble on the day. Minor quibble though, it's all been great so far.

civil eagle
07-08-2012, 12:59 PM
On the empty seats issue. I was at the synchronised swimming yesterday and at the start of the event there was a whole block of seats empty, however as the qualification went on that set of seats was occupied and vacated at regular intervals by groups of teams members in their national team strips supporting the particular duo who were competing at that time.
This bank of seats were either quite full or empty depending on when you looked at them. I am not sure what LOGOC could have done about this.
As an aside some of us who are on twitter are aware that their were two seats free in the athletics stadium on Saturday because a member of these boards got mixed up what date they had tickets for and therefore failed to attend.

Barbara4003
07-08-2012, 01:04 PM
On the empty seats issue. I was at the synchronised swimming yesterday and at the start of the event there was a whole block of seats empty, however as the qualification went on that set of seats was occupied and vacated at regular intervals by groups of teams members in their national team strips supporting the particular duo who were competing at that time.
This bank of seats were either quite full or empty depending on when you looked at them. I am not sure what LOGOC could have done about this.
As an aside some of us who are on twitter are aware that their were two seats free in the athletics stadium on Saturday because a member of these boards got mixed up what date they had tickets for and therefore failed to attend.

:sob:

Nork1
07-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Went to the athletics this morning. What a magnificent stadium - full to capacity.
I was at the athletics on Sunday night and noticed that there were still large areas of empty seats which didn't start filling up until halfway through the program. They were the 'good' seats, obviously corporate hangers on and VIP's who either couldn't be arsed or didn't want to see anything except the 100m final. Totally disrespectful to the athletes and those who couldn't get tickets.

Chester 76
07-08-2012, 01:24 PM
When I went to the swimming last Tuesday, I was told the second tier is reserved for athletes families and team mates.

SexualChocolate
07-08-2012, 07:03 PM
I was at the athletics on Sunday night and noticed that there were still large areas of empty seats which didn't start filling up until halfway through the program. They were the 'good' seats, obviously corporate hangers on and VIP's who either couldn't be arsed or didn't want to see anything except the 100m final. Totally disrespectful to the athletes and those who couldn't get tickets.

I was in 224! If you'd gone around a little bit further you could've had a pic of me too! :)

Highbury Eagle
08-08-2012, 05:32 AM
I went to the Men's 3m diving final yesterday. Was very impressed with the whole organisation from entering to leaving the park. Arrived at 4.30 and there were virtually no queues to pick up my tickets or go through the search points. The park seemed heaving at that time. Staff and volunteers were very friendly, maybe a bit OTT at times. Expected beer to be slightly more expensive then it was. Food did seem expensive though apart from McD's which was about 30p more than you would normally pay on the high street. Loved the area where people were trading in pin badges, not a collector myself but can see why people are drawn to them. Going back today to see handball in the basketball arena then back tomorrow for the Athletics.

pallet
08-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Went to Wembley yesterday to see Mexico beat Japan. Was a nice day, the Mexico fans were very loud and funny. Was'nt really like the great atmosphere I was expecting but good anyway. Highlight of the day was when we arrived the guy at the tube station was asking everyone to keep moving down the stairs and saying welcome to the second best staduim in England after te Emirates, I shout dont you mean Selhurst Park. Behind us was a group of about 4 people all Palace. The bloke then proceed to show me his Iphone cover, which was a picture of Ian Wright scoring in the cup final:D

Godstone Eagle
08-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Was at the hockey & handball yesterday, loved every minute of it...great day. Back again on Friday evening for the Athletics, looking forward to being inside the Olympuc Stadium

Selhurst300
08-08-2012, 11:33 AM
I was at Wembley yesterday for the football semi.
Thought it was very well organised.
Only complaint was at Wembley Stadium station afterwards where there was total confusion over where a train was going to call at. But once on board, the driver told us exactly where he was going to call, so that sorted it out.
The one area where there has been major shortfalls is in the ticketing. The web-site is dreadful. Even now you can select a ticket that appears to be available only to find that it doesn't go on sale until a date in May!!!

Justin
08-08-2012, 12:30 PM

If you meant the entire block just past the 100m finish you are wrong, it was nothing to do with corporates or VIPs. The whole block was unreserved seating for photographers, journalists and athletes etc. (edit - just seen your photos - different area I think. apologies !)

Had a night off from the athletics last night for the boxing. Some great bouts but very much a boxing rather than an olympic crowd. Decided to drive and 30 minutes after leaving my seat at the excel I was through my front door in Beckenham. Going to drive to the athletics today now instead of using public transport. If the traffic is bad people may complain about 4 empty seats.

singapore eagle
09-08-2012, 02:19 AM
I've just come to the end of a week-long stay in London. 16 sessions in 7 days.

The highlights were the athletics on the Saturday night and the track cycling. The roars when Mo Farah and Vicky Pendleton won will stay with me for a very long time.

I also really enjoyed the handball (lots of noisy Hungarians), the gymnastics and the triathlon. The swimming was a bit disappointing and the diving was very boring.

Other thoughts:

- the friendliness and cheerfulness of the all the volunteers was quite something
- there were quite a lot of empty seats, not just in the accredited areas, but dotted around the stadia
- there were a lot more kids around than I expected. It would be great to think that the games are really going to inspire a generation.

ANDY FROM BR1
09-08-2012, 08:52 AM
http://www.markxdavies.com/2012/07/31/empty-seats/

East-End Eagle
09-08-2012, 11:35 AM

I have said this til I am blue in the face to people. Most of these seats are not for corporate hangers on, but for the atheletes and coaches to support their fellow team mates. Obviously they cant go to everything a they might be training for their own events, but personally it is great to see when they come and support each other, and they deserve to see what they want in my view.
These seats were never for sale.

In the swimming often the "best" seats were empty in the mornings for the heats, which looks bad on TV I admit, but in the evenings they were all full of big groups of fellow swimmers.

Anyway, I am bored of explaining it to people.

I have been to

Hockey
Handball
Basketball
beach volleyball
all the road races
am going to the atheletics tomorrow night
and modern pentathalon on sat

The whole experience has been a amazing so far. I got nothing in the initial ballot, but have perservered. Amazing how many people who were so anti olympics before are all of a sudden desperate for tickets.

Mad Raschic Ken
10-08-2012, 01:27 PM
I have said this til I am blue in the face to people. Most of these seats are not for corporate hangers on, but for the atheletes and coaches to support their fellow team mates. Obviously they cant go to everything a they might be training for their own events, but personally it is great to see when they come and support each other, and they deserve to see what they want in my view.
These seats were never for sale.

In the swimming often the "best" seats were empty in the mornings for the heats, which looks bad on TV I admit, but in the evenings they were all full of big groups of fellow swimmers.

Anyway, I am bored of explaining it to people.

I have been to

Hockey
Handball
Basketball
beach volleyball
all the road races
am going to the atheletics tomorrow night
and modern pentathalon on sat

The whole experience has been a amazing so far. I got nothing in the initial ballot, but have perservered. Amazing how many people who were so anti olympics before are all of a sudden desperate for tickets.

Agree. We went to the Athletics last night. They moved us into these seats because I'm still recovering from a broken ankle and it would have been difficult to get up to our seats in row 73. We were sitting just behind Katarina Johnson-Thompson and a number of other athletes / coaches were sitting in the block.

The whole experience was fantastic. All the volunteers were incredibly helpful. It was a fantastic night, with the Bolt win and the world record from Rudisha being the highlights.

Nork1
10-08-2012, 03:18 PM
I have said this til I am blue in the face to people. Most of these seats are not for corporate hangers on, but for the atheletes and coaches to support their fellow team mates.

Look at my attached photos. OK, the whole block in the upper tier may have been for athletes but are you telling me the empties in the first 2 (possibly 3) photos weren't for corporates/'VIPs'?

weltklasse
10-08-2012, 08:22 PM
i've enjoyed it apart from steve crams rubbish commentating

JDawg
10-08-2012, 08:57 PM
It's been good, but I'm beginning to get Olympics fatigue now,

squelchy18
11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Went today to see the hockey. Had an amazing time! You can really feel the festival vibe and see what the Olympics has done to the spirits of us Brits. It's nice to see thousands of people showing how proud they are of being british.

The staff were fantastic, incredibly friendly. It is nice to actually be treated like normal humans compared to what we are used to at the football. Had a bit of banter with one who was a Leeds fan...He spotted me in my Palace shirt.

Just wandered around the park afterwards and took in the atmosphere and had a go in the little amusement things...The whole Olympic park is amazing, I never realised how big the site is! Took ages to walk around!

From my experience and from what I have heard from others, as well as the whole feeling around the country, and the success of Team GB, London has put on a spectacular games and probably the best I have known. I don't think it will be topped anytime soon.

Also a quick note about some of the ladies on show...Stunning :p

Hedgehog
11-08-2012, 07:21 PM
You can really feel the festival vibe and see what the Olympics has done to the spirits of us Brits. It's nice to see thousands of people showing how proud they are of being british.
I wish some of this would rub off on Palace fans on here. :)

Chester
11-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I dont want it to end and ive only watched it on streams :sob:

Been brilliant all around.

LLCOOLSTEVE
11-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Bolt done the Mobot :lux:

Princess
11-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I've been to 4 different events and I'm at the closing ceremony tomorrow. This is probably one of the most amazing things I've ever been involved with. I've worked at the last 2 events and found it incredibly rewarding. Had an 18hour day today but it's been so brilliant, I don't care!

rhiannapaul
11-08-2012, 11:24 PM
its been emotional

Louis
12-08-2012, 12:29 PM
I just saw some of the Marathon on Great Tower Street near Tower Bridge. Got off the District Line at Tower Hill and it was pretty easy. Great Tower St was near the end of the loop at the end of the route, meaning you saw the runners going both ways. Great atmosphere in the sunshine and crowds several deep along the route. Big cheers every time the runners passed and everyone waving flags. A massive truck with cinema seating on the back for about 100 press went ahead of the leader. Purple London 2012 banners lined the route. So many people had flags.

I'm glad I was able to see something live. Will try to go the Olympic Stadium in the Paralympics.

cantspell
12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
I just saw some of the Marathon on Great Tower Street near Tower Bridge. Got off the District Line at Tower Hill and it was pretty easy. Great Tower St was near the end of the loop at the end of the route, meaning you saw the runners going both ways. Great atmosphere in the sunshine and crowds several deep along the route. Big cheers every time the runners passed and everyone waving flags. A massive truck with cinema seating on the back for about 100 press went ahead of the leader. Purple London 2012 banners lined the route. So many people had flags.

I'm glad I was able to see something live. Will try to go the Olympic Stadium in the Paralympics.
I went to the Triathlon and the womens football gb v brazil - both brilliant! paraolympic tickets are difficult to get hold off.

Louis
12-08-2012, 01:20 PM
paraolympic tickets are difficult to get hold off.
I know - just hoping they won't be quite as hard to get.

Sleeping Giant
12-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Went today to see the hockey.

Also a quick note about some of the ladies on show...Stunning :p

I have to say, those foxy little Dutch ladies in those funky little orange outfits were simply delightful. Said cheeky minxes were so good too, easily my favourite, non British Olympic memory. ;)

Icy
12-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Tkd was quality last night. Some really good support for the Gabon underdog winning his countries first Olympic medal in 40 years getting silver in the men's HW's.

pauldrulez
12-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Marathon was excellent.

Giving the East Timor athlete the biggest cheer of the lot each time he came round in last place was true Britishness. There wasn't a hint of irony about the cheer, it was genuine cheering for him to get to the finish.

Jason
13-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Went to the Marathon yesterday morning, and was lucky enough to pick up last minute tickets for the Greenwich park section of the womens Modern Pentahlon in the afternoon. Great atmosphere at both, and it meant that the Olympics for me finished by being able to see a British athlete pick up a medal live. Perfect end to a great couple of weeks of sport.:p

Chester 76
13-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Went to the Water Polo Thursday, seat in the second row near one of the benches. Saw the full range of emotions sport can inspire: Australians celebrating Bronze only to be forced into extra time right on the buzzer; seeing the Hungarian coach sent off (It must have been the way he said it as I am sure the ref can`t have understood it); the Australians celebrating the Bronze medal; USA celebrating the Gold; the sadness and dejection on the Spanish teams faces but then a few minutes later seeing the joy at the medal ceremony of USA,Spain and Australia when they got their medals.

On Saturday I went to the Handball, there were Norwegians looking for tickets at Stratford station, some with tickets to the Mens final but desperate to swap for that evenings. Walking past the Olympic stadium whilst the 5000 metres was being run and the volume of noise, just reaching Park Live as Mo crossed the line. Park Live erupted! Inside the Basketball arena a fabulous place, it felt like I had been transported to Oslo with the huge Norwegian presence. The final was a fast paced and entertaining game but to see Montenegro celebrate so much having lost was incredible. The excitement of the medal winners, several Montenegrans wanted to be on the podium before their Silver was announced. When it was announced they leapt in unison on the podium with happiness.
It was an incredible event but then leaving as various events crowds joined together to see the Police first imitating Usain Bolt`s celebration with some German & Dutch supporters before imitating Mo Farrar`s celebration. It just summed up an incredible joyful time :lux:

Wycombe Eagle#2
19-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Yesterday the missus, kids and myself went to Newbury races where Jessie J was playing after. Sorry I missed the Palace game but these tickets were bought a while back.

It was our first event since attending 2 Olympic events and my thoughts on the way home is just how shit were treated as a customer in this country and how great the games were. For me the games have set the benchmark now.

Now it wasn't the entertainment that was an issue we had a good time, but the service was truely shocking!! You wasn't allowed to take no food or drink in (is that even allowed when water fountains aren't provided) missus had a packet of crisps confiscated from her bag) then they want to charge you 4 for a pint of cut throat Carling, 6.50 for poxy chicken nuggets and chips for the kids and 4.50 for a rank chicken burger. Now I know the prices at the Olympics were similar but I never once had to wait over 20 fricking minutes to be served like yesterday.

So another well done for the Olympics and Newbury racecourse........you probably won't see me again!!

pallet
02-09-2012, 12:27 PM
At last I went to the Olympic park last night. I was really surprised how big the place is, it does not really come across on the TV, how large the park is. The game makers were in fine form, went past the girl who was on the U tube clip at the opening ceremony and she was as funny as ever. The atmosphere inside the stadium was excellent and very supportive of every single athelete. I can only imagine how amazing being there on that Saturday night was. Went into the mega store, it was not over priced and there was some good stuff to buy, food was OK, beer section really limited, as in one choice. Getting out and home very easy, quickly to Stratford station and on the train in under 20 minutes.
Going to the swimming tonight, hope to see dome GB victories.:p

pallet
03-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Went to the swimming last night and had a great time. It is very hot in the aquatics centre and the stairs are a bit of a shock, something like 6 flights. But the atmosphere was excellent and when a GB girl was 50 metres out and in with a chance of a gold the noise was incredible. She won and the place went mental. Really good night, its like being on holiday in the park, not like London at all.

Latvian Eagle
23-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Thinking about the Olympics 8 months later I have to say that given what a transition I was going through at the time the Olympics will always be memorable for getting me through some tough times.

I genuinely believe the Olympics is what kept me going between July and August / September of 2012. Great spectacle!!! :p

pauldrulez
05-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Doesn't seem that long ago!

I was away during the Olympics, but it was great to see it all on TV, and witness the Mens marathon and 2 days of Paralympics.

London seemed a much nicer place then!