PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics - a heretic recants

James
01-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I confess that I wasn't much bothered when London won the right to host the Olympics this year. I suppose I felt a bit of malicious pleasure with Paris losing out. The French seemed so sure that it was their turn weren't they?

When the tickets for the Olympics first went on sale, I applied for a shed load. It seemed to me to be quite important to do this as everyone else was doing it and I didn't want to miss out. My Olympic shopping basket total was over 1,000, which is quite a lot. However, when the tickets were eventually allocated, and I was allotted just three tickets for the women's hockey (which my wife and my two girls had asked for), I felt strangely relieved. I have never really enjoyed watching people run round in circles, swim backwards and forwards, throw and lift things, jump, skip, hop, or cycle - so why should I pay good money to watch these things just because the Olympics happened to be in London?

I was determined in fact not to like any of the Olympics, including the build up, as might be evident from some of my posts in the 'Opening ceremony' thread. In fact, I arranged to go the Edinburgh on the 4 August for 10 days, so I would miss all the nonsense.

.. but here's the thing. By the end of the Opening Ceremony, I felt quite moved. Yes, much of the beginning part was obscure and a bit silly. However, the climax was spectacular and when I realised the next day that the 'multiculturalism' emphasis had annoyed the likes of MatoV, the Daily Mail and other right wing Little-Englanders, I knew that it had been a triumph.

What I really hadn't expected though was how the games themselves would affect me. I actually cried when those two plucky girls got their boat across the line first this morning and felt almost as emotional when the man on the bike came home second to last this afternoon to win a gold medal. I thought the Team GB's women's football team were magnificent yesterday .. and I have even enjoyed watching some Judo, archery, swimming and volleyball.

In fact, I almost regret having booked to travel north at the weekend. Thanks for listening.

AJ's right boot
01-08-2012, 06:22 PM
You are not alone James! Loads of people I know are saying similar things. I however, have been looking forward to the games for a long time and that makes me cool. ;)

OscillateWildly
01-08-2012, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't have bid for the games and suspected that the price tag that we were sold would rise (it did, by two thirds) but once it was won I thought "I've paid for it, I will enjoy it."

Watched both golds today and loved every minute of it, am going tomorrow.

davematt
01-08-2012, 07:06 PM
I ventured into the city today for the first time and the feel good factor was incredible. You just felt it.

If it continues like this up until a week Sunday, it might just go down as two of the greatest weeks this country has ever witnessed.

And the support for Team GB is fantastic, regardless of the results for the athletes in their respective events.

The country has come together, and its ******* brilliant :lux:

Big Blue Eagle
02-08-2012, 08:08 AM
I was on a business trip to Germany yesterday and seeing it from another country was fascinating - TV coverage all over the place - banter with my colleagues when we lost the Mens 8 and then won the Mens TT. They all though the opening ceremony was spectacular (didn't mention the Dambusters!) and had no clue on things that are big over here like the Olympic Family tickets. One is even flying in for one day this weekend for a hockey match. They are loving it - were really worried a couple of days in when they had NO medals - and think we are doing a fantastic job in a fantastic city.

I have been a fan boy since day 1 - cried when the announcement was made and danced around the lounge only to cry again the next day at what stupid, vicious people could do to our city. Not going to any events as we have an elderly pooch that we can't leave that long, and feel slightly guilty at enjoying it so much sometimes as my father in law died 10 days ago, but he was a big sports fan and would have loved it (but probably hated the opening ceremony - especially Arctic Monkeys!) and would want everyone else to have a great time.

It has also, strangely, made me like Boris! I actually think he is the right Mayor for the time we hold the games. Ken was the right one to win it - the smooth political operator (Boris would have shagged Jacque Rogge's wife or something) but Boris's ludicrous schoolboy enthusiasm and cheer leading is right for now.

I feel very privileged to have the games here in my life time.

kevb
02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
I love sport - and went many times with my family to watch the Athletics at Crystal Palace. We went all through the Coe / Ovett era and beyond, so the Olympics has always been a big thing for me.

And now they are here - on my doorstep (I can see the top of the Stadium from my living room window), and I'm loving it!!

I went last night to the Olympic Park, and the atmosphere was brilliant. I am just really glad I have had the chance to experience them - to have them here in London will be a once in a lifetime event for me. I do hope my kids will get a second chance.

kolinkins
02-08-2012, 09:45 AM
A good thread for me this.

I was dreading the games for all sorts of reasons. I watched the opening ceremony because I felt I had to and parts of it I did not much enjoy. However, it got better and better and frankly the games have totally grabbed me. Watching these athletes give it their absolute all is so thrilling to see - they leave nothing at all behind.

Coming into London during the games has been little different to any other time of year - the difference being that people around, from train staff to BTP to the Police, seem much happier, much more interactive in a friendly way.

Long may that attitude continue!

gold76
02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Me too.

Hate the pomp, goonery and corporate bollocks

Love the sheer spectacle of sporting endeavour

Second to the test match though!

mrgins
03-08-2012, 07:33 PM
OK, be honest! How many of you who blasted the Olympics in previous months are now glued to your tv sets, proud of GB, or secretly peeping at the results?

Psychokiller
03-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Doctors?

mrgins
03-08-2012, 08:15 PM
I confess that I wasn't much bothered when London won the right to host the Olympics this year. I suppose I felt a bit of malicious pleasure with Paris losing out. The French seemed so sure that it was their turn weren't they?

When the tickets for the Olympics first went on sale, I applied for a shed load. It seemed to me to be quite important to do this as everyone else was doing it and I didn't want to miss out. My Olympic shopping basket total was over 1,000, which is quite a lot. However, when the tickets were eventually allocated, and I was allotted just three tickets for the women's hockey (which my wife and my two girls had asked for), I felt strangely relieved. I have never really enjoyed watching people run round in circles, swim backwards and forwards, throw and lift things, jump, skip, hop, or cycle - so why should I pay good money to watch these things just because the Olympics happened to be in London?

I was determined in fact not to like any of the Olympics, including the build up, as might be evident from some of my posts in the 'Opening ceremony' thread. In fact, I arranged to go the Edinburgh on the 4 August for 10 days, so I would miss all the nonsense.

.. but here's the thing. By the end of the Opening Ceremony, I felt quite moved. Yes, much of the beginning part was obscure and a bit silly. However, the climax was spectacular and when I realised the next day that the 'multiculturalism' emphasis had annoyed the likes of MatoV, the Daily Mail and other right wing Little-Englanders, I knew that it had been a triumph.

What I really hadn't expected though was how the games themselves would affect me. I actually cried when those two plucky girls got their boat across the line first this morning and felt almost as emotional when the man on the bike came home second to last this afternoon to win a gold medal. I thought the Team GB's women's football team were magnificent yesterday .. and I have even enjoyed watching some Judo, archery, swimming and volleyball.

In fact, I almost regret having booked to travel north at the weekend. Thanks for listening.
You realize you just ruined my new thread on GCC?

mrgins
03-08-2012, 08:21 PM
You realize you just ruined my new thread on GCC?
Oh crap. It got moved and I can't find it:(

mrgins
03-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Oh...it's been merged:o

LLCOOLSTEVE
03-08-2012, 08:33 PM
whats a 'hippocrat'?

Les Butler
03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
I thought here we go again with the first few pages with the "I hate anything British" lot with the opening ceremoanies thread but then it changed,even the poll reflected there are only a tiny few that seem to be pissed of with everything home grown or achieved in the UK.

Proves that even if they shout the loudest they are still only a very small minority of moaners one here,even Heb was positive :eek:

FORZA SELHURST
03-08-2012, 08:36 PM
whats a 'hippocrat'?

A doctored spelling.

Les Butler
03-08-2012, 08:36 PM
whats a 'hippocrat'?

A stupid oath

stevek
03-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Some of us always knew it would be brilliant and he cynics would be proved wrong.

mrgins
03-08-2012, 11:37 PM
whats a 'hippocrat'?
similar to a sharkcrat, but much bigger and stronger

little al
04-08-2012, 05:43 AM
OK, be honest! How many of you who blasted the Olympics in previous months are now glued to your tv sets, proud of GB, or secretly peeping at the results?
Nope. Not at all.

Mat ov CPFC
04-08-2012, 05:55 AM

Outside of seeing some bits and pieces on news broadcasts aint watched a single bit.

To be honest its not an event that usually grabs my imagination anyway so its not a specific 'anti' London one, just not really something I am that interested in.

Big Blue Eagle
04-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Little Al and Mat ov in "miserable gits unite together" shock......

The Omen
04-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Little Al and Mat ov in "miserable gits unite together" shock......

I feel quite sorry for them. They are the ones missing out. Has been brilliant so far.

Icy
04-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I had no interest in the Olympics. Didn't bother with the opening ceremony or applying for tickets. I started watching the actual events and now I've been glued to it all day every day. It's been top drawer. Still can't get tickets though.

evvo111
04-08-2012, 11:56 AM
The only sports I've ever really been interested in are ones that I used to enjoy doing, football, rugby and boxing. I've watched as much as the football as possible and a bit of the boxing. I'm not that interested in the rest. Did enjoy the opening ceremony though.

EagleSE24
04-08-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm loving it. Olympics way ahead of the world cup in enjoyment factor for me.

Scroatey
04-08-2012, 12:29 PM
It's ******* awesome, wish I had more tickets, and inspired to go and watch more events outside of the Olympics in the future. Some stuff has made an afternoon at Selhurst Park seem dull & dis-passionate.

jamesc_24
04-08-2012, 01:03 PM
John inverdale shedding a tear at the rowing bloody set me off, no
Idea where that came from!

Pookas
04-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Yep I was a sceptic, but now my faith in private education has been restored.

AJ's right boot
04-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm loving it. Olympics way ahead of the world cup in enjoyment factor for me.
Have to say I'm agreeing with this, I'd never ever thought I'd think that!

Jason
04-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Yep. The Olympics has been absolutely awesome. I've been excited by the games coming to London from day 1, but then Palace apart, the Olympic games has probably been my favourite thing sports wise since I was a kid. Have been lucky enough to go to five different events (each in a different sport) this week, with another two next. Each one has been in its own way incredible from the perspective of sheer levels of skill so obviously involved, and the atmosphere at all the venues has been fabulous. It hasn't even been that expensive, to the point where most of the tickets were no more than a seat in the upper Holmesdale for a Cat a game!.

I honestly don't believe that any other country could have created quite the feel that we have produced in London. It's great that so many people have now come together around the games, and that even the cynics are enjoying it. Hopefully some of the "feelgood" factor around he whole thing will last beyond the next ten days or so!

joyce the voice
04-08-2012, 04:44 PM
I've always loved the Olympics. Aside from track, which I love to watch, the rowing, cycling, and canoeing are all terrific fun. I don't like the swimming (should be called splashing since you can't see a bloody thing) or the judo. To be able to follow the Guardian live blog and watch two sports on nbc.com is amazing (tip for expats: you can watch everything from the beginning if you move the cursor back--the rowing for example is on too early for me to watch live).

sw16girl
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Glued to it - the judo medals were the ones that made me well up because I know how underfunded they are (they had their funding cut because they didn't do well enough last time) compared to the professionals and how hard they train and tried. Been to three events so far and looking forward to my trip to the athletics on Wednesday .

herts_palace
04-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Glued to it - the judo medals were the ones that made me well up because I know how underfunded they are (they had their funding cut because they didn't do well enough last time) compared to the professionals and how hard they train and tried. Been to three events so far and looking forward to my trip to the athletics on Wednesday .

Morning or Evening?

gold76
04-08-2012, 08:52 PM
3 Golds in about half hour, tremendous stuff.

Heb 7:4
04-08-2012, 08:54 PM
I thought here we go again with the first few pages with the "I hate anything British" lot with the opening ceremoanies thread but then it changed,even the poll reflected there are only a tiny few that seem to be pissed of with everything home grown or achieved in the UK.

Proves that even if they shout the loudest they are still only a very small minority of moaners one here,even Heb was positive :eek:
What do you mean "even Heb". I'm waaaaaaay more positive than you, you moaning ex-pat :D

Big Blue Eagle
04-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Tonight makes the attitude of people like Mat and Little Al all the more sad and bemusing. Wonderful, inspirational, sport, real sport not prima donna cheating, diving millionaires, maybe it really will inspire a generation, I truly hope so.

sw16girl
04-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Morning or Evening?

Evening

firesign
04-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Tonight makes the attitude of people like Mat and Little Al all the more sad and bemusing. Wonderful, inspirational, sport, real sport not prima donna cheating, diving millionaires, maybe it really will inspire a generation, I truly hope so.

indeed - I have spent pretty much the whole day watching sport and it has been the best drama ever. From the triathlon, to the rowing, to the tennis... it's all been mindblowing. Terrific performances and sportsmanship from all nations. Incredible.

gold76
04-08-2012, 09:46 PM
I only hope there is no goonery with the start of the 100metres final.

whoever thought of one false start and your out should be summarily executed with a starting pistol.

herts_palace
04-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Evening

Snap!

Looking forward to it but it's going to be virtually impossible to match tonight.

luckyoldgladys
04-08-2012, 09:56 PM

I really hope so too. But it is interesting to look at the medal count and see how few recent hosts Australia, Spain and Greece have won. Between them only one gold medal. Something has gone wrong with inspiring their future generations.

civil eagle
04-08-2012, 10:01 PM

So so true hopefully some of these sports will now get more coverage and air time and some of the nauseating over coverage of the premirship, and dare I say it all football might be reduced. This was a true super Saturday Man U Chelsea is not

Biscuitmen
04-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I wasn't really that interested in the Olympics prior to these fantastic games. In fact I questioned a few of the costs in a time of recession. But I've changed as it has given the nation a massive lift and some of the achievements have been majestic.

Youngsters watching all of the athletes (not just the medalists) will see what role-models they are. Sport in this country will get a huge boost in the next decade as thousands want to emulate the successes of Farah, Ennis and Rutherford for starters.

luckyoldgladys
04-08-2012, 10:09 PM

I've always loved watching the judo. They bow to the mat, they bow to the referee and they bow to the opponent.
Then they fight real hard and you can win by strangling the opposition.
Then they shake hands, bow again and walk off.
True sport

Ridcully
04-08-2012, 10:11 PM
We'd win grouch Olympics but James would still come last in Mod Olympics ;)

Mat ov CPFC
04-08-2012, 10:33 PM

I have expressed my admiration for the individual atheletes because its obvious that they put in a lot of dedication and time but I just dont get much out of watching athletics and so on. I admit to loathing the hype and bullshit around the Olympics and the antics of the IOC disgust me on a level I cannot articulate but I have never been disparaging about the competetiors. Just expressed an opinion that over-all its not my cup of tea.

If you enjoy it then crack on but I refuse to get caught up in all this 'team GB' bullshit and the Union Jack represents very little to me personally.

C'est la vie as I believe the IOC would have us say.

Hedgehog
04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
To me the Olympics will always be track and field... all the other events are just a prelude to the main events.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
05-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Its been great.I know what people mean about saoking up the atmospshere remember the buzz in Sydney back in 2000. Mrs KM and I watch it from about 5.30 till as late as possible channel surfing to take in as much as we can.If when the closing ceremony comes and you can't get to it go to a large public site in London it will blow your mind. Forza London.

cantspell
05-08-2012, 08:07 AM
I have loved every minute - been to 2 events and the live site twice. I love the performances and nothing is left ion the track, water etc.

Last night was one of the best night's sport I can remember.

Santos-er
05-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Looking beyond the corporate and political bollocks, I'm quite enjoying the sporting side of it and the success that our athletes are experiencing. Great that we have something to feel proud of as a nation.

Big Blue Eagle
06-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Mat Ov = Mozza??

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a397493/morrissey-compares-effect-of-london-2012-olympics-to-nazi-germany.html

Morrissey has likened modern Britain to Nazi Germany in a scathing attack on the London 2012 Olympics.

A long message from the 'Irish Blood, English Heart' singer was posted on True To You in which he opined that the event has reignited the "spirit of 1939 Germany" in "media-brand Britain".

Eye-dee
06-08-2012, 10:56 AM
It doesn't happen often ;), but I too was wrong, wrong, wrong on all counts regarding the Olympics.

From us not being ready, to traffic chaos, to the ridiculous waste of money, the embarassment of the opening ceremony, I couldn't have been wrongerer.

I'm loving it, and will accept the 'I told you so's gracefully :cool:

Big Blue Eagle
06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
It doesn't happen often ;), but I too was wrong, wrong, wrong on all counts regarding the Olympics.

From us not being ready, to traffic chaos, to the ridiculous waste of money, the embarassment of the opening ceremony, I couldn't have been wrongerer.

I'm loving it, and will accept the 'I told you so's gracefully :cool:

How about also being wrong about Andy Murray.............:hi:

FraserH
06-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Mat Ov = Mozza??

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a397493/morrissey-compares-effect-of-london-2012-olympics-to-nazi-germany.html

Morrissey has likened modern Britain to Nazi Germany in a scathing attack on the London 2012 Olympics.

A long message from the 'Irish Blood, English Heart' singer was posted on True To You in which he opined that the event has reignited the "spirit of 1939 Germany" in "media-brand Britain".

Everyone knows Morrissey is a wanker of gigantic proportions.

eaglejez
06-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Mat Ov = Mozza??

some differences include the lack of any major sporting events in 1939, the lack of the persecution of Jews and Gypsies, the lack of invasion of foreign countries and de minimus amounts of locking up of people into concentration camps.

He may need to see someone for his obvious onset of mental illness

sw16girl
06-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I like the way they ended the article with a video of him singing "Bigmouth strikes Again". Not mentally ill - just so desperate for publicity he has gone straight to Godwin's Law. Troll

Jason
06-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Everyone knows Morrissey is a wanker of gigantic proportions.

I must admit I didn't know that . . . . . . . .but I do now :D

Big Blue Eagle
06-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I see that these quotes have appeared on another thread and Mat has duly endorsed them, proving he is actually Mozza. He also reckons the athletes are psychopaths it seems and London is a totalitarian city.

Mat ov CPFC
06-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I see that these quotes have appeared on another thread and Mat has duly endorsed them, proving he is actually Mozza. He also reckons the athletes are psychopaths it seems and London is a totalitarian city.

True dat.

Big Blue Eagle
07-08-2012, 06:09 AM
True dat.

Now we all know that Alan Lee was a psychopath, but the rest of the squad? They are athletes as much as Team GB, so your assertion must apply there as well?

Mat ov CPFC
07-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Now we all know that Alan Lee was a psychopath, but the rest of the squad? They are athletes as much as Team GB, so your assertion must apply there as well?

I dont think the majority of proffessional footballers are intelligent enough to be classed as psychopaths. And with the most ironic thing being that the average amateur club athlete is probably far fitter than anybody playing in the football leagues.

And less face facts here, these athletes must have a screw missing. Lets look at the recipie for success they follow....

Day 1. Get up and run around a track as fast as you can.
Day 2. Get up and run around a track as fast as you can.
Day 3. Get up and run around a track as fast as you can.

And repeat for the next 15 years plus with just the smallest of chance of running in front of more than 10,000 people once or twice during that whole time.

Get the picture ?

That aint normal. Its really not.

The Omen
07-08-2012, 11:19 AM
I dont think the majority of proffessional footballers are intelligent enough to be classed as psychopaths. And with the most ironic thing being that the average amateur club athlete is probably far fitter than anybody playing in the football leagues.

And less face facts here, these athletes must have a screw missing. Lets look at the recipie for success they follow....

Day 1. Get up and run around a track as fast as you can.
Day 2. Get up and run around a track as fast as you can.
Day 3. Get up and run around a track as fast as you can.

And repeat for the next 15 years plus with just the smallest of chance of running in front of more than 10,000 people once or twice during that whole time.

Get the picture ?

That aint normal. Its really not.

Day 1. Get up, go to the office and sit in front of a computer
Day 2. Get up, go to the office and sit in front of a computer
Day 3. Get up, go to the office and sit in front of a computer

Repeat for your whole working life with the smallest of chance of winning the lottery.

That aint normal. It's really not.

*Apply to any job*

weltklasse
08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
been enjoying the handball lots.

weltklasse
08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
the only thing i'm finding annoying is Steve Cram's insinuations about that algerian 1500m runner.

Big Blue Eagle
08-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Well, he was supposedly injured 24 hours ago when he stepped off the track in the 800 after his team forgot to withdraw him, kicked out for not trying, then produced "medical evidence" then reinstated, then cruises the 1500? And no one really expected him anywhere close? Does sound pretty odd, and remember that Cram and Foster are still coaching and close to these guys....

Pookas
08-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Bread and Circuses. :(