PDA

View Full Version : The impact of the Wilf wankathon?

knowlesyUCLA
13-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am loving where we are at the moment. It doesn't get any better for a Championship club than being unbeaten in 13 games, top of the league, banging in goals left right and centre, and having the darling of English football leading the line.

But I am starting to get rather tired of the mainstream media's Wilf wankathon. If he is still performing (and we are still unbeaten) once the Hull away game has been and gone (I think this will be a real hard one in our upcoming calendar), I will change my position. But in the meantime I am cautiously pessimistic about the effect this is all going to have on the player and, much more importantly, the team.

It will be interesting to see how Holloway deals with it behind closed doors because his natural style, as we have seen already, is to praise players to the maximum in public. He is right to do so, but managing people behind the scenes will be crucial to our success over the next few weeks, and the remainder of the season.

Leave him in a room with Paddy for 5 minutes when he gets back and that will do the trick, I should think.

rhynoeagle
13-11-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm just getting bored of the media asking Holloway every single week about Wilf and whether we can keep hold of him.

SE25 exile
13-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Wilf is just too good for the media to have any effect on his performance!

Eagle96
13-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm just getting bored of the media asking Holloway every single week about Wilf and whether we can keep hold of him.

Our fans are doing the exact same thing but asking SB instead...he's already said Wilf isn't for sale ffs, read and retain the necessary info :hmph:

brooklynlou
13-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Our fans are doing the exact same thing but asking SB instead...he's already said Wilf isn't for sale ffs, read and retain the necessary info :hmph:

Yep.

Option A - Selling Wilf is a gain of 20-25 Million IF you find someone desperate enough to cough that much up and odds are we wont get promoted.

Option B - We make a run towards promotion and even if we get relegated; its 90 million over the span of 5 years plus another 20-25 Million when we're ready to sell Wilf.

I like Option B better ...

GreatGonzo
13-11-2012, 05:44 PM
If he is still performing (and we are still unbeaten) once the Hull away game has been and gone (I think this will be a real hard one in our upcoming calendar), I will change my position.

Becasue 1 defeat in 16 would be a disgrace?

Fair enough to say if we are top 2 at xmas and Zaha playing well etc etc. But having to stay unbeaten for 16 games whilst possible is a big ask.

I suspect Leeds or Hull away may see a defeat.

glaziers fan
13-11-2012, 05:55 PM
If we're anywhere near the top in Feb we will win the league. Hard run coming after this Derby match.

cpfcfan124
13-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm sorry but you cant justify a claim being made that says if we sell Zaha we wont get promoted or shall we take 20-30 million. I'm Zaha's biggest fan but realistically hes not worth 20 million, if he comes out and gets some game time for England and completely destroys Swedens defence than that claim is valid. I just want some people making these claims to wonder what they'd be like if these claims were made about you. Yes we are in a fantastic position but we are only a third of the season through, mathematically anything could happen from now, so why dont we just stop sitting on here comparing Zaha to all thats been before him and get behind the 11 heros we have playing each Saturday afternoon.

delboy01
13-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I like it because it makes the opposition think we are a one trick pony. And then Murray, Moritz, Bolaise, KG, Delaney, Ramage, Jedi and Garvan pop up and spoil their plans.

i.e. Stop Zaha and you stop palace. :D

ForzaPalace
13-11-2012, 05:57 PM
If we're anywhere near the top in Feb we will win the league. Hard run coming after this Derby match.

Bollocks. This team doesn't have 'hard runs'. We've already beaten Bolton, Blackburn, Leicester, Cardiff etc. Ipswich was supposed to be a banana skin and we raped them, and Peterborough was meant to be tricky but we walked all over them and Wilf alone could have had a hat-trick. There are no hard runs.

ForzaPalace
13-11-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm sorry but you cant justify a claim being made that says if we sell Zaha we wont get promoted or shall we take 20-30 million. I'm Zaha's biggest fan but realistically hes not worth 20 million, if he comes out and gets some game time for England and completely destroys Swedens defence than that claim is valid. I just want some people making these claims to wonder what they'd be like if these claims were made about you. Yes we are in a fantastic position but we are only a third of the season through, mathematically anything could happen from now, so why dont we just stop sitting on here comparing Zaha to all thats been before him and get behind the 11 heros we have playing each Saturday afternoon.

Jordan Henderson was 20m. As was Stewart Downing. And they're two of the worst players I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt, if not anywhere.

JDawg
13-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm more concerned at the effect on Wilf. Dougie did a bloody good job protecting him from and the media feeding frenzy has come just after Dougie has left.

We need Wilf focussed and switched on for the run into Christmas. The last thing that is needed is incessant headlines picking apart performances trying to justify a valuation. We need to get back to getting on with things on the pitch as a unit. Is there anyone at the club tasked with deflecting this crap?

Also with the froth that is eminating from Fleet Street isn't there a risk that we are talking ourselves or being talked into selling Wilf in January?

It's all bollocks. This is a team. Wilf is an integral part of that team and although the limelight is good, the sooner we get back to this, the better.

Can we please get back to reality.

glaziers fan
13-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Bollocks. This team doesn't have 'hard runs'. We've already beaten Bolton, Blackburn, Leicester, Cardiff etc. Ipswich was supposed to be a banana skin and we raped them, and Peterborough was meant to be tricky but we walked all over them and Wilf alone could have had a hat-trick. There are no hard runs.

It's all relative. If we were top in Feb I'd be very disappointed if we didn't walk the league. But I agree, as things stand we deserve to be at the top. You don't go 13 games unbeaten unless you can play.

cpfcfan124
13-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Jordan Henderson was 20m. As was Stewart Downing. And they're two of the worst players I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt, if not anywhere.
Jordan Henderson is crazy I'd agree with that, but Downing was the best player I saw at Selhurst in our Premier league season when he was playing for boro, fantastic player, has everything but has lacked confidence in recent years.

JAS78
13-11-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm praying he doesn't get on the pitch tomorrow.

The circus from this week will hopefully disperse alot quicker, let's get back to basics and stay focused.

SE25 exile
13-11-2012, 06:10 PM

You have encapsulated the mantra of our team!

You could be manager!:p

viking's no1
13-11-2012, 06:13 PM
The Big Mal era is back at the Palace! Everyone enjoy (but no relegations please) :D

rhiannapaul
13-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Bolaise just carry's on being awesome quietly and jedi and delaney and ward we will be in the mix Kg fekin off to africa is a bummer but Mortiz can do a job

SE25 exile
13-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Bolaise just carry's on being awesome quietly and jedi and delaney and ward we will be in the mix Kg fekin off to africa is a bummer but Mortiz can do a job

Its Bolasie!

Halfwayline
13-11-2012, 06:19 PM
I hope that when the day comes when he does go to a top Champions League team we do not get 10 threads with Judas, $aha, Traitor etc in the title as we had with Dougie.

The money we get from his sale should buy enough quality to have a million pound player in every position. At least we are not £136m in debt like Bolton

viking's no1
13-11-2012, 06:20 PM
I hope he does get a run out tomorrow, preferably second half when he;s running at tired legs. Wilf is immense and will play the same way he does for Palace, i.e. taking the p1ss. A lot of people appear to have recently graduated with a degree in 'oh how's it affecting the team - Wilf is billy big bollox (no he's not, read the article properly and stop wetting your pants)' from the University of Talkshite.

He's got skills no one else has, mainly because he practises taking the p1ss as can be seen on the Peterboro highlights video that didn't show any of the game.

CP Satellite
13-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm just waiting to see when the penny will drop with Brazil that Andre Moritz is the Brazilian version of Messi just about to happen and then we will really have chaos on our hands.

This Palace revolution contains alot more brilliant characters than just our Wilf!

Icy
13-11-2012, 06:30 PM
It would be nice if the rest of the team got some recognition. Wilf may be our "star" player but Murry, Delaney, Bolasie, Speroni and Jedi have all been exceptional so far. Shame the media is too dumbed down and premiership obsessed to recognise this

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
13-11-2012, 06:31 PM
I think it's BRILLIANT. Can't remember seeing this much Palace in the papers since the cup semi and final.

If anything is going to bring crowds back, make local kids want to see Palace for the first time it is the publicity of a player like Wilf.

It is also great publicity for young talented players in the area to consider when choosing which club to join or to stay at (Allesanni etc. will see how far Wilf has come at Palace)

Crofty
13-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am loving where we are at the moment. It doesn't get any better for a Championship club than being unbeaten in 13 games, top of the league, banging in goals left right and centre, and having the darling of English football leading the line.

But I am starting to get rather tired of the mainstream media's Wilf wankathon. If he is still performing (and we are still unbeaten) once the Hull away game has been and gone (I think this will be a real hard one in our upcoming calendar), I will change my position. But in the meantime I am cautiously pessimistic about the effect this is all going to have on the player and, much more importantly, the team.

It will be interesting to see how Holloway deals with it behind closed doors because his natural style, as we have seen already, is to praise players to the maximum in public. He is right to do so, but managing people behind the scenes will be crucial to our success over the next few weeks, and the remainder of the season.

Leave him in a room with Paddy for 5 minutes when he gets back and that will do the trick, I should think.

I think the Wilf Wankathon could be a worthy successor to Children in Need. Instead of Pudsey we could have Ron Noades' mother with a bucket:p

Palace Kebab
13-11-2012, 07:07 PM
I think it's BRILLIANT. Can't remember seeing this much Palace in the papers since the cup semi and final.

If anything is going to bring crowds back, make local kids want to see Palace for the first time it is the publicity of a player like Wilf.

It is also great publicity for young talented players in the area to consider when choosing which club to join or to stay at (Allesanni etc. will see how far Wilf has come at Palace)

Well said, we should adopt Wilf's mentality and believe as a club we can ride this wave rather than being all meek and worried about things that may subsequently happen as a result as we are poor little Crystal Palace.

SEEPEEEFFSEE
13-11-2012, 07:10 PM
I'd be shocked if Wilf doesn't play a part tomorrow given all this noise about him not being sure whether to choose England or Ivory Coast.

I imagine the FA have had a word with Hodgson and made it clear they need to make him feel wanted.

elgin eagle
13-11-2012, 07:10 PM
I like it because it makes the opposition think we are a one trick pony. And then Murray, Moritz, Bolaise, KG, Delaney, Ramage, Jedi and Garvan pop up and spoil their plans.

i.e. Stop Zaha and you stop palace. :D

exactly this and its why we are doing so well, they have to double up on him but the balance of the side means we just attack the other flank with garvan pulling the strings.

Halfwayline
13-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm just waiting to see when the penny will drop with Brazil that Andre Moritz is the Brazilian version of Messi just about to happen and then we will really have chaos on our hands.

This Palace revolution contains alot more brilliant characters than just our Wilf!

I would be amazed if Jedi is not given the Aussie captaincy soon.

anti-addick
13-11-2012, 07:22 PM
We'll see a defeat or two in the next 16, but so will Boro and Cardiff and anybody else in the chasing pack, so don't worry about it. As long as we keep up the 2 points per game average we're up automatically and that's it.

917L
13-11-2012, 07:22 PM
It would be nice if the rest of the team got some recognition. Wilf may be our "star" player but Murry, Delaney, Bolasie, Speroni and Jedi have all been exceptional so far. Shame the media is too dumbed down and premiership obsessed to recognise this

Jedi is an established international

Delaney has earned recall to the Irish national side

Murray was player of the month in September

Bolasie could follow Wilfs path if he carries on developing as he has so far this season

Speroni is never going to be an international, unfortunately

As long as we support them as they deserve, their rewards will come

Gary O
13-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Becasue 1 defeat in 16 would be a disgrace?

Fair enough to say if we are top 2 at xmas and Zaha playing well etc etc. But having to stay unbeaten for 16 games whilst possible is a big ask.

I suspect Leeds or Hull away may see a defeat.

Disagree entirely. Leicester, Blackburn, Wolves, Bolton and Cardiff were all on paper Tougher games than Hull and Leeds. Personally I believe we will win both games. :lux: :lux: :lux:

Youngy
13-11-2012, 07:35 PM
December is the key month, full of key games. Do badly and we could fall out of the top six, do superbly and we are set up for a very, very interesting second half of the season.
Could also decide Wilf's mindset, still top and he'll be wanting to stay. If we're drifting away from or struggling to keep in the play-off places then even if we don't sell his mind may drift too and we get a very different Mr Zaha playing.

exiledeagle1
13-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Oh I worry.......................the british media can make or break you.

I seriously think that this whole thing has gone OTT.

The young man has never experienced any thing like this, I only hope he's strong enough, mentally, to get through this ok.

busker
13-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Sadly if our unbeaten run was to come to an end against Derby this would be blamed on Wilf being unsettled, going away with England mid week and having all the attention on him, when the hard truth is that at some point we will have a bad day in the office or a team will get lucky with decisions etc etc.. let's just hope it's far enough away that it can't be blamed on all of this.

If he gets injured training for England though of course, then it will be entirely the FA's fault if we don't go up! ;)

evvo111
13-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I hope he does get a run out tomorrow, preferably second half when he;s running at tired legs. Wilf is immense and will play the same way he does for Palace, i.e. taking the p1ss. A lot of people appear to have recently graduated with a degree in 'oh how's it affecting the team - Wilf is billy big bollox (no he's not, read the article properly and stop wetting your pants)' from the University of Talkshite.

He's got skills no one else has, mainly because he practises taking the p1ss as can be seen on the Peterboro highlights video that didn't show any of the game.

I really hope he get's some time on the pitch but worry that his talent won't be allowed to shine through.

When he has played for the U-21 England side he has looked reserved in his play, even when they have passed to him. I'm not sure whether this is down to Pearce's gameplan (although suspect it is) or something else but it is a worry and such a waste from England's point of view.

mexicaneagle
13-11-2012, 08:38 PM

THIS.

Paulie Walnuts
13-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Oh I worry.......................the british media can make or break you.

I seriously think that this whole thing has gone OTT.

The young man has never experienced any thing like this, I only hope he's strong enough, mentally, to get through this ok.

I agree. I think it would help if as many Palace fans as possible on Twitter send him a warm message to show that we are fully behind him and to ignore any negativity, I imagine he's received a lot of nasty and hurtful stuff in the last 24 hours.

delboy01
13-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I also love it that sturridge has told him to stay at palace and get games under his belt.

So many young players go to PL sides and rot or get loaned out.

dim
13-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Personally, I am expecting a John Barnes type run and goal as scored at the 'cana.

The yellow shirts and blue shorts should be reminiscent as well..... seems like fate to me.

At that point, the wankathon will be turned up to 11.

PalaceSi
13-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Its all good as far as Palace is concerned. What has happened in the last few days has seriously launched Wilf into the public domain as a young star, all i can say is kerching! There no more of teams with cheeky bids trying to buy a rough diamond, he is a diamond and a sparkling one at that and they are very very pricey things. i love the fact Real Madrid have been linked, even more kerching! I don't want Wilf to leave but when he is drawn from our grasp, we a sure to get a serious amount of dough which could change our future in a lot of ways so well done Wilf.

viking's no1
13-11-2012, 09:08 PM
The impact of the Wilf wankathon will be that young players will realise they're better off staying at a side playing in the first team, rather than leaving and sitting on the bench at a 'top' premiership side. Football will be all the better for it.

pallet
13-11-2012, 09:09 PM
I think we are all over looking one thing, that is Wilf's agent. If a team comes in for hime with a half decent bid, like say 10 million, and his agent starts the pressure to make him move we wont get the big payout that most think we might get. Also I am getting really ****ed off with the media saying he as good as gone, he is still out player.

T.C.
13-11-2012, 09:22 PM
I sincerley hope that this will have a positive effect but anticipate a bumpy slide down from this high.

viking's no1
13-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I think we are all over looking one thing, that is Wilf's agent. If a team comes in for hime with a half decent bid, like say 10 million, and his agent starts the pressure to make him move we wont get the big payout that most think we might get. Also I am getting really ****ed off with the media saying he as good as gone, he is still out player.
Just read what the owners say - and relax.

exiledeagle1
13-11-2012, 09:30 PM
As much as I hate having to admit this but Dougie today was very good in his Wilf interview.

All his answers were 'potentially' this 'potentially' that.

He was extremely complimentary towards Wilf but letting it be known that there is better to come.

At the rate he's progressing in 2 years time he will be the world beater we all want him to be.

exiledeagle1
13-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Is this the same media that then puts up a photo of Bolasie........................................... ....or was it KG ? :p

jone-zee
13-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Wonder what supporters today would have made of Big Mals reign as we plunged to the old 3rd division yet still were back page news.

JHJ EAGLE
13-11-2012, 09:44 PM

I think that Leeds, and a few other teams, might disagree with you. This league is far from a cake walk. Did you not see how splendidly we did for the one cup and
first 3 league games?

JDawg
13-11-2012, 09:55 PM
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/zahas-best-move-would-be-to-stay-at-crystal-palace-says-sturridge-8312602.html

Thank you Daniel Sturridge.

mik59
13-11-2012, 10:11 PM
I think it's BRILLIANT. Is absolutely the right answer. We have nothing to be embarrassed about. We have been down, way down, and we deserve a grab of what we can get come what may. This is a ride, a rush, and right rollicking riptide of righteous retribution for all the rubbishings. Rock On.

Sick Bucket
13-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Dougie did a bloody good job protecting him from and the media feeding frenzy has come just after Dougie has left.

Dougie also did a great job of keeping us bottom half and not scoring goals :p

but as you said I just hope this doesn“t effect him too much, anyway probably it will blow over once the International has been played the entire media can go back to wanking themselves silly over the Prem

plectrum
13-11-2012, 10:43 PM

It is just what happens when you are that good.

Son of Ron
13-11-2012, 10:47 PM
we raped them. :veryangry :veryangry ignorant ****

Duffle Coat
13-11-2012, 10:57 PM
I am worried about what Elmander might do to Wilf. I have seen him chop a few players down in the last two Swedish matches,notably Kazahkstan's top player. He also laid into a top German star, can't remember which one. He is a brute and he will just level Wilf. This will have two effects. 1 It will stop Wilf getting to big headed. 2 It may injure him! Someone stop Elmander before it is too late.

exiledeagle1
13-11-2012, 11:35 PM
I am worried about what Elmander might do to Wilf. I have seen him chop a few players down in the last two Swedish matches,notably Kazahkstan's top player. He also laid into a top German star, can't remember which one. He is a brute and he will just level Wilf. This will have two effects. 1 It will stop Wilf getting to big headed. 2 It may injure him! Someone stop Elmander before it is too late.

Is Elmander not a forward/striker ?

I think we are all worried at Wilf being upended by a Swedish size 12..

Mr Iguana
14-11-2012, 12:06 AM

I like your style :lux:

sheepy
14-11-2012, 12:10 AM

Have faith - I realise we've been burnt before (B*stc*ck) but I really don't think Wilf is gonna be swayed by all this or to let his agent dictate his career.

If he wants to move it'll be because he thinks him and palace have come as far as we can go together - hopefully he gets on, has a good game and gets a ridiculously good reception against Derby as we smash them 5-0!

Skid Row
14-11-2012, 08:54 AM
I would be amazed if Jedi is not given the Aussie captaincy soon.
I'd be amazed if he was considering he's not a gauranteed starter.

jcreedy
14-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Chill out. Raheem Sterling got a call-up at a younger age than Wilf and it hasn't exactly affected his form this season.